Matured Cake Mixture combines the characteristic sweetness and zest of a fine Matured Virginia with the unique aroma, softness and rich, nutty flavor of a distinctive Oriental Mixture. Aging this blend of lemon and orange Virginias, Xanthi and Latakia in cakes develops an extra margin of smoothness and an uncommonly rich flavor that is refined, not heavy.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeOriental
Strength
Taste

3.1
KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Though this flake is not a heavy Balkan blend, mainly due to the mild Latakia, it is certainly one of the most wonderful flakes available in the free world today. For those who have not yet found the taste of Latakia to their liking, this blend offers itself as a gentle mentor to the palette.

I had jarred 5 lbs of this in 2009. In early 2011 I cracked open one of the jars. Initial opening presented the aroma of Latakia and oriental. Lightly rubbing the broken flake but still maintaining some compression in the leaves I filled a bowl and packed it to a medium but gentle draw, and let it sit overnight as I often do when first opening a tin or jar. Upon lighting the next day I found this broken flake to offer a wonderful smoky flavor with a subtle sweetness arriving slowly onto the palette as the smoke progressed. Throughout the entire first 3/4 of the bowl the aroma and flavor danced from a mild buttery nut presence into a sweet and smoky delicacy, and back again. There was little excess moisture, relative to other tobaccos with similar components, though this may have been due to the dryness from being originally a bulk form. Toward the last 1/4 of the bowl, the latakia drifted away leaving a stronger essence of mature VA and oriental. The tobacco burns well, needing few relights, ending in a white ash.

As mentioned, the blend is somewhat mild for a Balkan due to the low content of Latakia, but there is something unique in how the blend imparts the flavors. If you are a heavy Balkan smoker, you will likely not taste the Latakia as a separate entity, however you will note the accented oriental that becomes unique from the marriage to the Latakia, as it gently caresses the VA throughout the smoke.

A superb recipe, and process well done.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Small mostly broken flakes, quite varied in color. Reddish brown with much black evident. Flakes are of moderate thickness.

Aroma: Definitely an English/Oriental blend. Background of matured Virginia, with spicy notes of Oriental, and the smokey/sweet aroma of Cyprian Latakia.

Packing: Pack easily into medium and large pipes. Haven?t tried it I smaller bowls, but it should be no problem if well rubbed out . Like any bulk flake, the flakes WILL be broken when you get it, so don?t count on a fold and roll method. For a long. Slow smoke, take a clump of pieces and make your own mini- roll. Works fine.

Lighting: Lights with relative ease, depending upon how rubbed out you like it.

Initial flavor: Taste is similar to Penzance at first puff, only not as intense. However, Penzance increases in flavor, while this settles down into a medium value. All the components register on the palate, with the Virginia and Latakia being the key players. Nice balance and layering of tastes.

Mid-bowl: Continues to show good manners, not at all boisterous. The layers of taste keep it from being monochromatic in flavor. Burns well for a flake, and no gurgle.

Finish: A few relights at the end, a bit of harshness at the very end, but nothing unexpected. Leaves a gray ash coating in a dry pipe.

Summary: Quite a surprise, as I usually prefer McC Virginias to their Orientals. A good choice for the middle of the day or for the evening. Also a good choice for outdoor smoking.

Badbrude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badbrude (9)

No one does VA's quite like McClelland. Long time smokers either love or hate their VA products. I'm one of the lovers. There's a lot more going on here than the VA base. 2020 bulk has a complex mixture of tastes. There's of course the sweet, tangy VAs. The orientals add a nutty, earthy component and the Latakia provides just the right amount of fragrant smokiness. Each flavor component dances in and out as you smoke through a bowl. All in all, it's a very well balanced blend.

I also much prefer flakes, broken or not, to other cuts. Packed right, you get a long-lasting smoke. Flakes also retain moisture longer given their density.

2020 is quite moderate in Vitamin N so you can smoke this at night, actually all day long without getting bored.

Lastly, I agree with previous reviewers that those who prefer blends heavy in Latakia might find 2020 lacking. IMHO latakia is a condiment, not the main attraction so for me this blend hits the mark. Four stars.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: L.J. Peretti's Cambridge Flake.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)

I would say this blend should be tinned, but I rather like the bulk pricing so I'm begging that they never tin it. This is my hands down favorite. Sweet, interesting, not too heavy but has a little kick at the end when the flavors get earthly. Ages very well. Burns well from top to bottom with minimal pleasant relights. Can burn the tongue if pulled on too hard, but hey, its a Virginia blend. Does not need any special attention other that rubbing and drying which are the only draw backs. If I could change one thing it would be to have this ready rubbed...call it 2021

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: new to one year

Similar Blends: McClelland Oriental Mixture #6.

pipester1990 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipester1990 (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For a bulk tobacco this hits the spot. I bought 8 ounces for around $23.50. It was an impressive english mixture with virginia blended in. It is pretty much an all day smoke for me. I enjoy the sweetness with the nuttiness of the orientals mixed in. I must say this is definitely a good blend to start on regardless of how often you smoke a pipe or if it is your first time trying a pipe. This tobacco does not disappoint.

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)

I really enjoy this broken flake in any pipe I own. Primaraly a Virginia guy, I do smoke nightcap and other latakia blends at night for a change. I've been looking for a virginia based tobacco for the sweetness, with some latakia in the background for that smokey flavor. This is as high a quality bulk tobacco as i've ever bought in a can. Its slightly sweet, the orientals smooth it out and the latakia adds its flavor without being over the top. Perfect for night time relaxation, no bite, and no cotton mouth the next morning from latikia overload. Probably won't appeal to guys who prefer super heavy balkan type blends, but it's just what i've been looking for when a bowl of nightcap seems a little too heavy after smoking several bowles in the course of an evening. It's smooth enough to be an all day smoke as well, and at the rate i've been consuming it, its getting there quickly!

Update 11-28-11

I do not know where the smokey taste comes from, but I understand that this blend contains no latakia. No matter....it's still a very enjoyable blend with a smokey and sweet aftertaste. I have experimented and found that fully rubbed out it lights and burns very easily.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was like finding real ambrosia! Or priceless mithril! A beautiful flake. I didn't find any bite, but it is well to smoke slowly to benefit the flavor this tobacco offers. A must try if you enjoy McClelland's orientals.

Update: I have to say, yet again, how wonderful this tobacco is. Also, after having the chance to smoke this in my house a few times(I normally smoke outside) I really enjoy the room note.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is one great way to get some latakia/orientals in your routine for a va smoker. This flake smokes good after some thorough rubbing and drying. Is a little difficult to get going, 3-4 tries, but after that only needs a couple well spaced relights to complete the bowl.

I was very, very impressed with the exceptional balance between the va's and the latakia/turkish. This one is sweet and smokey all at once never getting to that floral level you expect from latakia. It starts off favoring the latakia, then the va's chime in quickly. It builds flavor the whole way down to the heel where I ended up dry with no dottle,and a dry stem as well. Absolutley no bite when smoked with patience. It leaves such a pleasent taste in my mouth for a while after smoking. Like smokey honey or something, I still taste the latakia- yumm. Much different than the usual bitter aftertaste from heavy english.

This one has so much character and is not monochromatic or boring at all. You can taste where you are in a bowl of this after you get used to it. It is a very complex flavor for a bulk tobacco. Keeps me interested and I never want to set it down until the bowl is done, Then I soon desire more even though I find it very satisfying. The nicotine level is low to medium- I expected more there but then I could smoke a second bowl....

I will be ordering and cellaring more of this great flake. I like this better than most other oriental/english blends. A pepsi cola tastes good while puffing this one too, or a glass of some goow wine.

Truly one of the best blends I have ever had the pleasure of smoking.

You need to try this! Nothing beats GL pease caravan but this is an excellent blend if you like mclelland's style and presentation.

Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (18)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very nice rich, sweet Virginia blend. Virginia's are prominent in the first part of the bowl and the Oriental and very light Latikia come on in the second half. Definite Virginia tongue bite for me even going slowly so this is an occasional blend for me. Nice nuttiness toward the end. Moisture is about right leaning a bit toward the wet side. Nice price on a good Virginia bulk. Recommended.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

Quite some time ago I decided to try every bulk McClelland blend. I didn't succeed in that I got some fatigue from the various blends and so everything kind of merged together... I also wasn't very good at smoking pipes yet, and wasn't smoking particularly good pipes either.

With that said, I recently started smoking back through the leftover samples from that odyssey, and the first hint on this one was that the bag had the least amount left of any of the English blends.

This is a really great blend. It's got an interesting broken flake cut, it has no PG to speak of, it's got high quality components, and a lot of interesting flavor.

There's just enough Latakia that you can tell it's in the blend, so Lat-heads will find this seriously lacking. It's very oriental forward, with just enough VA to keep it from being astringent, and just enough Latakia to give it some body.

I'm not giving it four stars just because I haven't smoked it enough, and generally, I think I like Pease English blends better than McClelland. I reserve the right to change my mind, and this goes on the BUY list for me.

snusdennis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snusdennis (2)
Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

I cant tell so mutch about it. But what i can tell is that this tobacco is great! :)

honestly not what i was hoping for. burns hot, wet and tastes like burning leaves. gonna try it after it sits for quite some time.

I am very impressed with this blend. I noticed that the tobacco was shipped at about the right moisture , however, it further improved as it dried even more and breathed. The tobacco smokes best at a smoldering sip and I like it from a cob. Although Latakia is not listed (Oops, just noticed Latakia in the description, not listed in the contents), the blend has a substantial smokiness and is in perfect balance with the "Provolone" flavored Orientals. I concentrate so much on the Orientals, that I fail to notice the Virginia, it does have a touch of McCVV, it is not a complex blend but keeps your interest. This blend I'm sure will age wonderfully ( a little spicey near the bottom of the bowl) and at a bulk price, it is a winner .

I agree with reviewer "Fly ticky" below

Updated 2/28/13- This blend now has 1 1/2 years of age and it is nice, smoothed out some. agree with reviewer "bigjonburley 01/26/2009 " , only I don't think you have to wait 5 years. My only problem is finding a place for this in the rotation, definitly a morning blend, I don't even know what to compare it to? Normally, I would just say, "very nice" ,and probably not buy again, but whenever I find a "Bulk-blend " this nice, I try to find a place for it. 3 stars with an extra +1 for being "Bulk", minus one for being more spicy than I like =3

Updated 8/12/2014 Well, after almost 3 years of cellar time the blend is very smooth and no harsh spice, HOWEVER , all the flavor is gone, it's totally bland

Pipe Used: cob

Rikowrites Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rikowrites (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I was gifted 2020 by a kindly soul. The orientals really add a distinctive presence and enhance the Virginias quite pleasantly. Now that I have sampled 2020 in three different sized bowls, I am poised to order some soon. I don't like to compare one tabak against another but in my view 2020 has a clear niche for those who really aren't big time Latakia fans.

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)

In general I like McClelland blends a lot. I've only been really disappointed by one of their blends.

I can't say this one disappointed me in that it was bad but it is a, "Why bother?" tobacco because there are so many blends that are so much better.

After going through about 2 oz. I feel like I've given it a fair try. To me this is a mediocre blend that I won't be buying again.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good if aged for 6mos. atleast a case where more age time is better.I ordered 8oz. tried some and then aged it for 6mos.Very good now but fresh it was a bit rough and bitey.Good smoke I may put up apound or two. update This has turned out to be very good.The more I smoke it the better I likes it.In a cob noless.Ok well thays my two cents oh yes and a new rating of four stars.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Update 01/09 I just wanted to put forth a few more elements concerning this tobacco. I have recently posted some additional comments regarding the maturation, through aging a few blends. I recently opened a quart-sized mason jar of MC and have to say, it is more than exceptional. In 5 years of aging, 2020 has taken on a sweeter, milder element not present in the freshly procured version. With age, this blend gets really complex. In my opinion it has everything that my beloved 965 had in it, only better. No one elements overdominates the other, they all play an intricate role. It was worth the wait. Although age 2020 looks nothing like 965, it is very similar, only better than 965. Make the investment in time. Buy a pound or two and set it aside. You will be blown away, I was. ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// This is another solid, bulk tobacco. I like to think of it as a nice alternative to the heavier English blends. A great morning smoke, yet this could easily be an all-day blend. If you have an affinity for natural tobaccos, I'll bet that you'll find this blend to be more than satisfying. Some smokers may say that bulk blends are inferior to there tinned siblings but I believe that there is just as much quality to be found in bulk blends. This blend has a really great balance between the boldness of VA's and the spicy, smokey essence of the orientals. The orientals are not overwhelming, so this could be a nice way to introduce a fellow smoker to English blends.

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this tobacco to be delightful. It's got a nice sweetness with a little exotic spice in the background. It's a smooth creamy smoke but I thought it was getting a little harsh towards the bottom. This is easily one of my favorites!

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Enjoyable smoke, good quality virginia/turkish with creamy taste, I received the falke sample was very dry, I packed it as it is and its really delightful. I would recommend this blend to anyone.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

I waited to review this blend, and I'm glad I did. I find that each time I come back to 2020 that I enjoy it more. I am mostly a straight Va. smoker, but I find this Va/Or blend interesting without being overdone. Nice mix between the Va and Orientals. I do love a flake, and find that after drying, and rubbing out that 2020 packs, lights, and burns good. Nice sharp flavor. This may not be in my rotation for now, but I reach for it when I' in the mood for a light English blend. Rate *

LBragg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LBragg (1)

Being a new pipe smoker, I picked up quite a few samples trying to get a feel for what I liked in a tobacco. 2020 was one of these samples. At first this one came in last of all the samples that I had purchased. It bit me badly although I did enjoy the taste. The taste of 2020 is what kept me coming back to it. This tobac taught me patience in that I had to rub it out and dry it then remember to puff slowly as I have a tendency to be a quick puffer. this is partly due to the fact that i had started with aromatics with no bite like evening stroll and m55. Folks have told me that virginias/flakes should avoided by the beginner due to their tendency to bite etc. I personally think that every beginner should dive into some virginias. let it bite them and teach them some patience and condition their tongue. I really appreciate the edge that 2020 has and it's taste is wonderful. I'm really not advanced enough to go into detail about how the orientals compliment the va's etc. I do know that this stuff tastes great and has pulled me away from the aromatics and taught me a thing or two about smoking flake. I would highly recommend this to the beginner and anyone else for that matter. I love this stuff. 4 stars.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

I base this review on a one year old sample from my cellar. I like to dry this blend out quite dry, almost crispy. Upon lighting, it can be a bit harsh on the tongue, like a Cuban cigar - and then just like a Cuban cigar, after a few puffs it settles down to a rich, creamy smoke. For me, this is somewhat similar to Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake minus the faint chocolate aroma. The flavors of the Orientals are rich and spicy, but not "plummy" like I find Red Raparee to be. The nicotine level is satisfying, and the room note is wonderful. I had to leave my smoking den (garage) for about ten minutes, and upon my return I was enchanted with the woodsy, spicy aroma. I honestly am a newbie in the English/Oriental blends, but if Latakia was listed in the blend I would believe it. I cannot detect the Virginias under the condimental leaf, but again I am new to this catagory. Age does wonders for the 2000 bulk blend series, and I have 4 lbs in the cellar with plans to buy more. I think this blend likes a very heavy thick walled briar, enjoyed with gentle puffs. I am a new reviewer, and feel guilty that I assign so many 4 star reccomendations, but here is another one. Just remember to age it and dry it. Isn't pipe smoking the neatest hobby ever?

speckchaser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
speckchaser (22)

Upon opening my bag I thought,well I made a mistake the odor of Latakia hit me in the nose,Im not a big fan.However upon lighting the Latakia takes third to the Orientals and Virginias just smoothing out any rough edges.Preparing and lighting was somewhat difficult mainly due to the fact it needed to dry out some but also due to the rough cut.Once lit a creamy smoke exuded.The Virginias did not overpower the Orientals are vice versa,there was a complimenting of each with the Latakia there to knock down any rough edges.

If looking for a straight tobacco taste,this is not it how ever if you are looking for a blend whwer each component complments itself you have found it,HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)

Another winner from McClelland. It has its own natural and subtle sweetness which makes it an appropriate all-day smoke. Most enjoyable, as it the bulk price.

Stormrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stormrider (14)

Very nice blend of natural sweet Virginia with nutty burley and the tang of Orientals, with just enough Latakia thrown in to smooth it out. Reminds me a little of Sam'l Gawith's Bob's Chocolate Flake, minus the chocolate. Nice round smooth flavor, slightly smoky from the Latakia, maybe a tad too cigarettish in the room note from the Virginia, but overall not bad at all. Will definitely keep this one in bulk and let it age, perhaps experiment with blending it. Might be good for someone wanting to avoid aromatics. It's the only McClelland blend I've tried so far (after about a dozen or so) which lacks that ketchupy aroma.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This has a nice, smooth, creamy taste. I didn't get a lot from the Virginias in this blend - the Orientals hold my attention throughout the smoke. This is a top choice if I'm in the mood for a light English blend, but not remarkable or exciting enough for four stars.

Another bulk tobacco, another winner! This medium broken flake is fine for every moment, it delivers a good amount of flavour considering its strenght. Packing and lighting are easy if you rub it an air it a little. The smoke proceeds without a particular evolution in taste but it keeps it consistent throughout the bowl. The format and the perfect moisture guarantee a long, dry and cool smoke, and it seems to smoke better in larger bowls, such as pots. For its price, it is a real bargain.

This is a fine Virginnia / Oriental tobacco blend. It is fairly coarse and my baggie was just a little on the moist side. If you like Virginnia tobacs but are searching for more flavor without Latakia or Perique, give this a go. Smokes long and full flavored, but will bite some if puffed too hard.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)

I think this is one of McClelland's best blends, bulk or tinned. In 2020, you have a niced pressed blend that isn't dominated by any of the component parts. I like blends with a bit of a zip and there is a slight edge to 2020. I don't know if it's sourness or just a piquant note. Either way, it adds to my smoking experience.

Folks have already pointed out the great price point for this bulk blend and they are right. You can buy a pound of it, put some back and smoke the rest. Unlike the supple pressed tobaccos from G&H, 2020 is rougher and a bit more challenging to prepare for the pack. A mild inconvenience in the scheme of things.

I recommend this blend.

Since my initial review, I have probably gone through another three pounds of 2020 and it's a consistent performer. I love the tangy virginias with the oriental kicker. It is still highly recommended.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

I think #2020 is to latakia as #2015 is to perique. Here you get an acceptable level of latakia spice with a straight Virginia base. Not complex, but interesting and tastey. The trick for me is to give #2020 plenty of time to age in order to smooth out the Virginias. When fresh it can be rough and harsh and a bit acrid. I dried this batch until there was no moisture remaining. I then added back a little moisture to make it pliable and "bingo," a very good smoke. This has been aged at least a year. For those who like McClelland Virginias and want a comparatively inexpensive English blend, this is pretty good stuff provided you are willing to work with it. Even with age, the Virginias will speak to you if you push them. Recommended to the frugal smoker of English blends. Paddy.

Tobacco Traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Traveler (2)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

#2020 is a creation of a few of the world's finest NATURAL tobaccos. The taste of the blend has the natural sugar levels evident of red and orange middle belt Virginia tobaccos, with some delightfully tasting spice flavors from a small amount of Latakia, and an hint of aromatic oriental. The tobacco taste is very similar to the aroma of the jar. Rubbing out this beautiful, broken flake tobacco--you may appreciate all the old fashioned qualities of 2020. This tobacco won't let you down--the Natural flavors intensify as you smoke--so smoke SLOWLY, and keep the tobacco at the right humidity--not so wet you can't light--but not so dry that it burns too fast. I prefer this tobacco after a full meal, in the evening. It's very smooth, medium in body, and truly unique. A great blend. I tried this and quit cigarettes.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tobacco blending houses have a saying, "If the blend is good enough to be tinned, it is." And quite obviously by the majority of the reviews of this offering, McClelland's bulk 2020 didn't make the cut.

I was recently sent a sample of #2020 with a tobacco order. It is rough on the palate, bitey on the tongue, and underwhelming in its entire presentation. Just not much flavor here. With so many quality Virginia/Oriental offerings on the market today, life is too short to be puffing on this stuff.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The tobacco arrived in a dry state and was not as fresh as some bulks I have tried. It may well be best to buy bulks as soon as they arrive rather than let them dry out a while in store. However this is a great tobacco great burn from the usual McCelland size flake pieces. The medium body and flavour is just how I like it. A fine virginia base meets the spicey oriental. When you consider the price this one is hard to beat.Great value.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A slightly strong but pure and straight Oriental/Virginia blend.

Rich, nutty and somewhat earthy in taste. The oriental really comes out big in this blend.

Unlike the above/prior reveiws, I preferred the 2nd half better. The top caught me by surpise with a tangy/sour beginning. By mid bowl and beyond, the tang and sourness subsides and the earthy, nutty and richness slowly takes over.

Nice and unique change of pace.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't love Latakia blends. Maybe two English crossover blends, two or three Virginia English blends, and a couple Oriental Virginia blends. 2020 is very enjoyable even to me, though. It doesn't fall into any one English category, and balances the Oriental and Virginia elements very nicely. As someone else said, the room aroma smells like barbecue sauce, moreso than anything else I have ever tried. But that is a good thing - makes me hungry. Wonderful for winter moonlight walks, with perfect strength. The only other blend I have tried with this kind of balance is Renaissance, another favorite. At $20 a pound, this is one to buy, smoke and store.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

normally, when i review a tobacco here, i have two rules; never judge a blend by one pipeful and never read the other reviews before writing your own. i do both of these things because it often takes several pipefuls to develop a taste for the subtle differences in various tobaccos and because something i smoked, ate, or drank before trying it may have affected my perceptions. i don't read the other reviews because i don't want them affecting my opinion of the blend. i have to admit i broke my second rule this time and read the other reviews on #2020. i did this because normally mcclelland blends have been among my favorites and this one was pushing all the wrong buttons for me. was there something that i had missed? apparently not, because there is a wide disparity of opinion on this one. #2020 is a flake tobacco and i tried breaking it up in both fine and course pieces before smoking. in all cases, i found it to be harsh and biting, with poor burn and a lot of re-lights. this held true in several different pipes(another thing i do with all blends); it seemed to be particularly harsh in my bent peterson. read the other reviews and you will find others who really enjoyed #2020. i hope they are right and i am wrong, because mcclelland is one of my favorite blenders. they really make an effort to put out good tobaccos at working people's prices. in the end, however, i have to give my own honest opinion. when this 4 ounces is gone, i will not be re-stocking. 1 lonely star.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Unlike several of the other reviewers, I found this blend a bit underwhelming. I just didn't find the flavor very interesting, especially overt the course of a long smoke. I think the Latakia balance may be a bit off. The blend smokes cooler than many others in the McClelland bulk series, but there's not much going on here, and this stuff can bite if you push it. Life is short and this tobacco is just a little dull for me to keep it on hand.

Mr. Ubiquity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Ubiquity (16)

It is difficult to improve on Col. Panic's review of this tobacco. However, some further notes. This is a really wonderful tobacco, especially if you have a long commute. It does have a bit of Virginia bite if too wet, but the flavors easily compensate for any discomfort. I strongly recommend this tobacco for those who are just stepping into Oriental/Latakia blends from the land of Virginias. It is not as heavy as the English blends that are similar in content, like Squadron Leader, but still maintains a consistency of flavor unlike any tobacco I have had before. If you still have lots of taste buds and find Dunhill and Gawith blends a bit strong, give this a try.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Tin Aroma: nutty and rich, this is Latakia at it;s best. Not overpowering or cloying, but rich and full, nonetheless.

Physical Charististics: uniformly dark, and a rather mixed cut. Packs easily, due to the mixture of sizes in the cut.

First Light: Lights easily, and burns nicely. No trouble keeping this lit.

Notes: There seems to be very little latakia here, mostly orientals and virginias. However, the latakia that is present lends too much sour taste, and not enough smokiness for my taste. The sourness at least could probably be remedied with cellaring for a few years. As the bowl moves on, the sour/sweet interplay becomes more interesting, and the overall taste begins to develop somewhere inbetween the two extremes.

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)

Pouch Aroma: I can smell Latakia, but it's less smoky than usual and more leathery/nutty. This is overlaid on a dark sweetish base and overall has a slightly dusty, dry aroma. My guess: mostly stoved red and orange Virginia, with a generous helping of Orientals and Latakia used as a condiment rather than a major flavor note. Yum.

Appearance: The tobacco is composed of broken flakes of fair thickness, probably 60% dark brown and black, 30% medium brown and 10% orange and yellow.

Packing and Lighting: I've rubbed it out slightly but left in a considerable number of big chunks to slow the burn. I not packing too tightly because I'm smoking it in a Ser Jacopo Maxima pencil shank stacked billiard; I find deep pipes to smoke better for me this way. It lights well and easily so long as I take the time to allow the tobacco to warm up and dry as I puff slowly.

The initial smoke is slightly sour and sharp but this quickly gives way to a nice burst of Latakia flavor underlaid by some caramelly VA notes. It's still got a slightly sour, acidic note to it which makes for an interesting combination of flavors. It'll be better when everything integrates a bit more, and would probably be quite pleasant with a few years on it.

Exposition: OK, five minutes or so have passed; now that things have settled down a tad and the flavors have melded a bit I can pay more attention to the melange rather than the earlier competing flavors. The smokiness has subsided to a nice level just beneath the caramel sweetness and the acidity has dropped off to the point that it serves as a sidekick to the other two dominant tobacco flavors. This is nice! It's complex enough to keep my interest but not something that I feel compelled to smoke in a quiet, dimly-lit room to minimize distractions.

The Story: I hate to sound repetitious, so I'll just say that the flavors have remained completely steady through the whole middle of the bowl. This is one of the steadiest tobaccos I've ever smoked; this is both a pro and a con. I like some change during the bowl to keep my interest, but I don't necessarily like to feel like I've loaded a different tobacco in the bottom 1/4. This is good, but definitely not a "treat" tobacco. Rather, it's good for smoking while working or listening to music - good enough to satisfy but not distracting. One really enjoyable aspect is the room aroma: the smokiness and the sweetness are VERY well balanced and leave a wonderful smell in the air and on my clothes and hair.

Denouement: The tail end of the bowl has turned just a bit sour and "swampy", but that might be either me smoking a bit too fast or the effect of a tall, narrow bowl. Still, it wasn't unpleasant so much as it's a welcome diversion and an indication that the end is near. The bowl walls were left clean and while there was a tiny bit of dottle left, it was nothing like my aromatics used to leave.

The room aroma is very nice, and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I have something similar on my tobacco shelf and I'm waiting to see if it's what I think it is.

Pros: Good clean burn, nice room aroma, simple but enjoyable flavor.

Cons: Had a tendency to bite a little, smoked a bit wet toward the bottom and wasn't as interesting as I would have liked re: flavor changes as the bowl progressed.

I also smoked this in a Parker 831 Canadian, sort of a Gr. 4 size with a more "normal" bowl geometry. The moisture problem (and thus the dottle) was solved by this, but otherwise the experience was nearly identical. Definitely good, but not overwhelmingly so.