Matured Cake Mixture combines the characteristic sweetness and zest of a fine matured Virginia with the unique aroma, softness and rich, nutty flavor of a distinctive Oriental Mixture. Aging this blend of lemon and orange Virginias, Xanthi (Macedonian Orientals) and latakia in cakes develops an extra margin of smoothness and an uncommonly rich flavor that is refined, not heavy.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeOriental
Strength
Taste

Badbrude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badbrude (11)

No one does VA's quite like McClelland. Long time smokers either love or hate their VA products. I'm one of the lovers. There's a lot more going on here than the VA base. 2020 bulk has a complex mixture of tastes. There's of course the sweet, tangy VAs. The orientals add a nutty, earthy component and the Latakia provides just the right amount of fragrant smokiness. Each flavor component dances in and out as you smoke through a bowl. All in all, it's a very well balanced blend.

I also much prefer flakes, broken or not, to other cuts. Packed right, you get a long-lasting smoke. Flakes also retain moisture longer given their density.

2020 is quite moderate in Vitamin N so you can smoke this at night, actually all day long without getting bored.

Lastly, I agree with previous reviewers that those who prefer blends heavy in Latakia might find 2020 lacking. IMHO latakia is a condiment, not the entree, so for me this blend hits the mark. Four stars.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: L.J. Peretti's Cambridge Flake.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Small mostly broken flakes, quite varied in color. Reddish brown with much black evident. Flakes are of moderate thickness.

Aroma: Definitely an English/Oriental blend. Background of matured Virginia, with spicy notes of Oriental, and the smokey/sweet aroma of Cyprian Latakia.

Packing: Pack easily into medium and large pipes. Haven?t tried it I smaller bowls, but it should be no problem if well rubbed out . Like any bulk flake, the flakes WILL be broken when you get it, so don?t count on a fold and roll method. For a long. Slow smoke, take a clump of pieces and make your own mini- roll. Works fine.

Lighting: Lights with relative ease, depending upon how rubbed out you like it.

Initial flavor: Taste is similar to Penzance at first puff, only not as intense. However, Penzance increases in flavor, while this settles down into a medium value. All the components register on the palate, with the Virginia and Latakia being the key players. Nice balance and layering of tastes.

Mid-bowl: Continues to show good manners, not at all boisterous. The layers of taste keep it from being monochromatic in flavor. Burns well for a flake, and no gurgle.

Finish: A few relights at the end, a bit of harshness at the very end, but nothing unexpected. Leaves a gray ash coating in a dry pipe.

Summary: Quite a surprise, as I usually prefer McC Virginias to their Orientals. A good choice for the middle of the day or for the evening. Also a good choice for outdoor smoking.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Update 10/11/2014 This blend, of which I put in sealed jars in 2009, seems to get better year after year. Some say Latakia blends do not age as well as VA VA/Per or VA/oriental. I can tell you that the flavor of the Lat remains true in this blend passing the 5 year mark, and the additional years only improve this remarkable flake.

10/12/2011 Though this flake is not a heavy Balkan blend, mainly due to the mild Latakia, it is certainly one of the most wonderful flakes available in the free world today. For those who have not yet found the taste of Latakia to their liking, this blend offers itself as a gentle mentor to the palette.

I had jarred 5 lbs of this in 2009. In early 2011 I cracked open one of the jars. Initial opening presented the aroma of Latakia and oriental. Lightly rubbing the broken flake but still maintaining some compression in the leaves I filled a bowl and packed it to a medium but gentle draw, and let it sit overnight as I often do when first opening a tin or jar. Upon lighting the next day I found this broken flake to offer a wonderful smoky flavor with a subtle sweetness arriving slowly onto the palette as the smoke progressed. Throughout the entire first 3/4 of the bowl the aroma and flavor danced from a mild buttery nut presence into a sweet and smoky delicacy, and back again. There was little excess moisture, relative to other tobaccos with similar components, though this may have been due to the dryness from being originally a bulk form. Toward the last 1/4 of the bowl, the latakia drifted away leaving a stronger essence of mature VA and oriental. The tobacco burns well, needing few relights, ending in a white ash.

As mentioned, the blend is somewhat mild for a Balkan due to the low content of Latakia, but there is something unique in how the blend imparts the flavors. If you are a heavy Balkan smoker, you will likely not taste the Latakia as a separate entity, however you will note the accented oriental that becomes unique from the marriage to the Latakia, as it gently caresses the VA throughout the smoke.

A superb recipe, and process well done.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Tobacco blending houses have a saying, "If the blend is good enough to be tinned, it is." This one just had to come close!

I was recently sent a sample of #2020 with a tobacco order. It is smooth on the palate, and does have a good, solid taste presentation. Not much strength here though. With so many quality Virginia/Oriental offerings on the market today, this one just might be in the upper half of your favorites.

Broken flake of mostly darker browns interspersed with some light. This is based on a 1 oz sample. Bag aroma was of McClellands incredible fermented Virginia with orientals (Xanthi, in this case). There was a slight smoky spiciness present from the latakia.

Latakia hounds and nicotine junkies may find little to enjoy here. This was Virginia front and center, orientals everpresent but subservient and latakia well to the rear. Reminded me of a richer version of one of the Grand Oriental series. Very tasty but mellow, with a sour tang and light smoke. I detected a topping of some sort but as usual could not place it. It sweetened the proceedings beyond what I associate with the component tobaccos. But this was no crossover blend. Complex enough but not nearly so much that I had to stop what else I was doing and focus on the blend as it developed. I hear that some folks get bit from McClellands Virginias, but I never have. They do require a slow cadence to allow them to shine, and this one was no exception. I didn't get bitten when I puffed faster but the mélange became a sour mess. I'd like to work with this one some more but I don't get the impression this will be a rotation maker. Enjoyable and perhaps holding more secrets, so I think I'll pick up a half-pound with which to experiment further.

These Virginias are very nearly rich in flavor. A nice sweet fruitiness. The Oriental component lightly rides on the flavor of the Virginias complimenting them with slightly sour, slightly nutty notes. The Latakia is lightly applied adding more smokiness than anything else. Not much of a woody note there. Altogether, it's a very pleasant smoke with ample flavor and complexity. A solid 3 star smoke.

Medium in body and flavor. Burns well when dry which can take a while. No bite or harshness, in fact it's quite smooth.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I purchased a re-branding of this tobacco from my local tobacconist under the name "matured mixture." I wasn't sure I had found the right blend until I came across the reviews here for Matured Cake. The pictures are spot on, and truly the other reviewers are spot on with their notes as to the flavors, cut, smells etc. This tobacco is of exceptional quality as with all McClelland offerings. There is a level of complexity I'm not used to with this tobacco, and i'm not exactly taken in by it. There is also a bit of harshness at times and it seems a bit unbalanced. I guess at times I can be a mindless puffer and I have to pay attention while I smoke this blend cause it changes so often throughout the bowl. I'm giving it two stars, because I would probably recommend this, but can't justify giving three because I wouldn't want it all the time and the harshness is a little off-putting. It was a nice change of pace at the time and I might buy it again, but I wouldn't want it in my rotation all the time as some other quality blends out there.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)

I would say this blend should be tinned, but I rather like the bulk pricing so I'm begging that they never tin it. This is my hands down favorite. Sweet, interesting, not too heavy but has a little kick at the end when the flavors get earthly. Ages very well. Burns well from top to bottom with minimal pleasant relights. Can burn the tongue if pulled on too hard, but hey, its a Virginia blend. Does not need any special attention other that rubbing and drying which are the only draw backs. If I could change one thing it would be to have this ready rubbed...call it 2021

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: new to one year

Similar Blends: McClelland Oriental Mixture #6.

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)

In general I like McClelland blends a lot. I've only been really disappointed by one of their blends.

I can't say this one disappointed me in that it was bad but it is a, "Why bother?" tobacco because there are so many blends that are so much better.

After going through about 2 oz. I feel like I've given it a fair try. To me this is a mediocre blend that I won't be buying again.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)

The tin note has got an acrid and fermented note of Orientals. The moist content would appear to be rather high at first sight, but once you start crumbling those flakes down they seem rather dry ("goldilocks" I'd say). The smoking experience is musty, spicy, with zesty undertones, and oriental forward. The oriental tobacco comprises the backbone of this blend whereas the latakia seems to act as a buffer in between the former and the virginia leaf it contains. The thickness and appearance of these flakes reminds me of SG, but somewhat easier to break down into a coarse broken flake. I am finding the marrying of all different profiles and flavours quite balanced and right on the spot. And as you progress with your smoke it gets darker with a favour profile that hits many fronts. I think there is so much going on with these flakes, so a rating of four solid starts is appropriate.

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (33)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A couple of years ago I decided to try several of the McClelland bulk blends, predominantly Virginia and Virginia-based flake. Of all of the blends I tried, I hands-down liked this one the best. I had some trouble remembering which one it was, but managed finally through a process of exclusion to single it out.

I just recently re-ordered an ounce (just to be sure I had the right blend!) and was happy to be reacquainted with it again. Of all of the McClelland bulks I've had thus far, this one is most definitely one I will be buying a significant amount of to store away.

I began by breaking down the flake lazily, and leaving it on the table in my kitchen so it would dry out. Occassionally I would break it down some more and after a few hours I found it dry and rubbed out enough to pack into a nice medium-sized billiard. Please do give this blend an opportunity to dry appropriately, since a little dryness really brings out some of the excellent qualities. In my opinion a blend like this is best smoked in a larger, longer format pipe that will afford it the opportunity to concentrate and evolve depth of flavors and aroma.

The Virginia component is marvelous. Sweet and nutty. Burns relatively cool without any harsh tannic or herbal notes. The balance with the Oriental and Latakia really excels in this blend and does wonders to the Virginia base. It really makes me wonder - why didn't I like the other McClelland bulk Va flakes as much as this? Could it be just the addition of the Orientals and Latakia?

===================================================================== EDITED 8 August 2017

In my opinion this is the best blend that McClelland make. The matured Virginia is top-quality, lights easily and stays lit, and isn't dry in the least. The Oriental and Latakia add just a suggestion of spice and depth. This blend truly outcompetes several of McClelland's "fancier" blends, and for the price in bulk, it just can't be beat!

Pipe Used: medium/large billiards

Purchased From: Pipes and Tobacco

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

Anything in flake form excites me . I don't recall having much experience with English flakes, maybe just Sam Gawith Navy Flake.

This Flake looks similar to MC's other flakes, such as 2015, but cut a bit thicker. Rubbing out when new takes quite a bit of time, this blend is pressed with quite a bit of force. Initial lighting takes quite a bit of time. I guess if you aren't in a hurry like I am all the time, you could dry it first. Virginia's up front and foremost. sipped small and slow, there is a delicate sweetness on the palate, and the Latakia is almost non-existent. Puffed at a faster rate, the Latakia shows more prominently, and the Xanthi shows quite a bit of spiciness. Only high quality leaf seems to be present here. If you are looking for a great flake to venture into Balkan type blends, try this. Leaves a fairly clean tasting palate.

For some, this could be an everyday smoke!

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)

I really enjoy this broken flake in any pipe I own. Primaraly a Virginia guy, I do smoke nightcap and other latakia blends at night for a change. I've been looking for a virginia based tobacco for the sweetness, with some latakia in the background for that smokey flavor. This is as high a quality bulk tobacco as i've ever bought in a can. Its slightly sweet, the orientals smooth it out and the latakia adds its flavor without being over the top. Perfect for night time relaxation, no bite, and no cotton mouth the next morning from latikia overload. Probably won't appeal to guys who prefer super heavy balkan type blends, but it's just what i've been looking for when a bowl of nightcap seems a little too heavy after smoking several bowles in the course of an evening. It's smooth enough to be an all day smoke as well, and at the rate i've been consuming it, its getting there quickly!

Update 11-28-11

I do not know where the smokey taste comes from, but I understand that this blend contains no latakia. No matter....it's still a very enjoyable blend with a smokey and sweet aftertaste. I have experimented and found that fully rubbed out it lights and burns very easily.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was like finding real ambrosia! Or priceless mithril! A beautiful flake. I didn't find any bite, but it is well to smoke slowly to benefit the flavor this tobacco offers. A must try if you enjoy McClelland's orientals.

Update: I have to say, yet again, how wonderful this tobacco is. Also, after having the chance to smoke this in my house a few times(I normally smoke outside) I really enjoy the room note.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is one great way to get some latakia/orientals in your routine for a va smoker. This flake smokes good after some thorough rubbing and drying. Is a little difficult to get going, 3-4 tries, but after that only needs a couple well spaced relights to complete the bowl.

I was very, very impressed with the exceptional balance between the va's and the latakia/turkish. This one is sweet and smokey all at once never getting to that floral level you expect from latakia. It starts off favoring the latakia, then the va's chime in quickly. It builds flavor the whole way down to the heel where I ended up dry with no dottle,and a dry stem as well. Absolutley no bite when smoked with patience. It leaves such a pleasent taste in my mouth for a while after smoking. Like smokey honey or something, I still taste the latakia- yumm. Much different than the usual bitter aftertaste from heavy english.

This one has so much character and is not monochromatic or boring at all. You can taste where you are in a bowl of this after you get used to it. It is a very complex flavor for a bulk tobacco. Keeps me interested and I never want to set it down until the bowl is done, Then I soon desire more even though I find it very satisfying. The nicotine level is low to medium- I expected more there but then I could smoke a second bowl....

I will be ordering and cellaring more of this great flake. I like this better than most other oriental/english blends. A pepsi cola tastes good while puffing this one too, or a glass of some goow wine.

Truly one of the best blends I have ever had the pleasure of smoking.

You need to try this! Nothing beats GL pease caravan but this is an excellent blend if you like mclelland's style and presentation.

Another bulk tobacco, another winner! This medium broken flake is fine for every moment, it delivers a good amount of flavour considering its strenght. Packing and lighting are easy if you rub it an air it a little. The smoke proceeds without a particular evolution in taste but it keeps it consistent throughout the bowl. The format and the perfect moisture guarantee a long, dry and cool smoke, and it seems to smoke better in larger bowls, such as pots. For its price, it is a real bargain.

Jamey S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jamey S (9)

It took me a while to figure out this one. I couldn’t figure out what was it; was it an oriental, as described? Was it a spiced up Virginia? Was it too strong for me? Or wasn’t it? The last time I smoked it – it was no less than great. Maybe it was the aging process that kicked in (It sat in a jar for 6 months) or maybe it was the right pipe to smoke it in; it was probably a combination of both. The tobacco really balanced. The first few draws were nothing like I remembered – it was sweet! It was a sweet Virginia with a nice, subtle touch of a smokey Latakia. Later on the Latakia was more present, but still – the aged Virginia component was really there, taking the lead. The smoke was rather cool, although there’s a little bite there. Perhaps it needs to age for a little longer. Nonetheless, this is easily an all-day smoke with low nicotine. I smoke this as a crumbled cake – just as it comes. It might require a few relights, but I like the complexity it gives. All in all, I’d recommend this one, especially for the price it’s sold!

Pipe Used: Freehand horn pipe (Albine)

Tenthgate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tenthgate (3)
Medium Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

I've had some years to make my way through most of the big names in virginias, vapers, english blends, and va/oriental mixes. The quest for me has more or less ended with the discovery of this blend. It is perfect.

I can't claim to be a huge english fan although i enjoy such blends as ten russians and london mixture. I've always enjoyed the sweet snork on certain english hybrids as well. The latakia component in this blend is just that, a sweet snork that tops off the whole with a sugary and comforting element.

The midrange of flavour comes in from the orientals and some virginias. It's of spices, and develops surely as the bowl burns. Initial taste is less pronounced but it will rush in soon. Don't worry on this account. Combined with the snork you are left with an almost spice bun, spice cake flavour here.

Lastly the whole thing is built on the famous maclelland virginia foundation that indeed is smokeable all on its own to me.

This blend touches all parts of the tongue and nose in terms of flavours and thus delivers what feels like a mouthful of flavour. The room note is also desireable in this sense and one could easily sit in a cloud of this stuff to the delight of the senses.

What else can i say, i just bought a pound and will be buying more for the cellar. I see it as an everyday smoke for my tastes but have yet to smoke it in hot weather.

If you haven't you need to try this tobacco. Bottom line.

Pipe Used: All of em

Age When Smoked: No time for that!

Purchased From: 4noggins

McClelland - No. 2020 Matured Cake.

A low point, if it can be considered 'low', is the robustness of the tobacco; although it's been partially broken it still needs some extra processing (for the way I load), and stone me it needs some vigorous rubbing.

When lighting this I opt for a jet-flame, my usual Zippo lacks the power to initiate a burn as the tobacco's still quite chunky. The taste of the smoke's quite well rounded; although there's a slight piquancy from the Latakia and Orientals, it's still really smooth; the Virginia's the platform, with the other two adding a slight zest: a subtle smokiness and a little cream and nuts. At first, I get just a small amount of nuttiness, and only a tiny amount of sweetness; for the first quarter the Virginia seems grassy instead of sweet, but after that point it develops a slight honey-sweetness, with the nuts showing up once the burn's settled. I don't get any tongue bite from 2020, and the nicotine's just below medium; an anytime of day smoke.

This is quite a unique blend; slightly smoky, slightly sweet, and quite nutty, but sadly it bites me a bit!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Lestraded P-Lip

Age When Smoked: One month

dzacca Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dzacca (8)

This was my first bulk McClelland VA and I simply love it. A tasteful and smooth VA blend with a delicious addition of oriental. It burns well and evenly if you don't keep it too wet and even if it's too wet it still manages to burn decently. I'd rate it mild to medium in nicotine. It's sweet and fruity with some spiciness. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Trevi 626

Age When Smoked: Couple of months

Purchased From: 4noggins

Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (19)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very nice rich, sweet Virginia blend. Virginia's are prominent in the first part of the bowl and the Oriental and very light Latikia come on in the second half. Definite Virginia tongue bite for me even going slowly so this is an occasional blend for me. Nice nuttiness toward the end. Moisture is about right leaning a bit toward the wet side. Nice price on a good Virginia bulk. Recommended.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Revised review 5/20/2016- I've really given this blend more than its fair shot, and it now has over 5 years in a Mason jar. The flavor is good ,although a little monochromatic ,but,,,,, it just bites me bad every time I smoke it. I won't buy again.

Pipe Used: cob/brier

Age When Smoked: New and 3 years / 5 years of age

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good if aged for 6mos. atleast a case where more age time is better.I ordered 8oz. tried some and then aged it for 6mos.Very good now but fresh it was a bit rough and bitey.Good smoke I may put up apound or two. update This has turned out to be very good.The more I smoke it the better I likes it.In a cob noless.Ok well thays my two cents oh yes and a new rating of four stars.

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this tobacco to be delightful. It's got a nice sweetness with a little exotic spice in the background. It's a smooth creamy smoke but I thought it was getting a little harsh towards the bottom. This is easily one of my favorites!

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Enjoyable smoke, good quality virginia/turkish with creamy taste, I received the falke sample was very dry, I packed it as it is and its really delightful. I would recommend this blend to anyone.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

I base this review on a one year old sample from my cellar. I like to dry this blend out quite dry, almost crispy. Upon lighting, it can be a bit harsh on the tongue, like a Cuban cigar - and then just like a Cuban cigar, after a few puffs it settles down to a rich, creamy smoke. For me, this is somewhat similar to Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake minus the faint chocolate aroma. The flavors of the Orientals are rich and spicy, but not "plummy" like I find Red Raparee to be. The nicotine level is satisfying, and the room note is wonderful. I had to leave my smoking den (garage) for about ten minutes, and upon my return I was enchanted with the woodsy, spicy aroma. I honestly am a newbie in the English/Oriental blends, but if Latakia was listed in the blend I would believe it. I cannot detect the Virginias under the condimental leaf, but again I am new to this catagory. Age does wonders for the 2000 bulk blend series, and I have 4 lbs in the cellar with plans to buy more. I think this blend likes a very heavy thick walled briar, enjoyed with gentle puffs. I am a new reviewer, and feel guilty that I assign so many 4 star reccomendations, but here is another one. Just remember to age it and dry it. Isn't pipe smoking the neatest hobby ever?

This is a fine Virginnia / Oriental tobacco blend. It is fairly coarse and my baggie was just a little on the moist side. If you like Virginnia tobacs but are searching for more flavor without Latakia or Perique, give this a go. Smokes long and full flavored, but will bite some if puffed too hard.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)

I think this is one of McClelland's best blends, bulk or tinned. In 2020, you have a niced pressed blend that isn't dominated by any of the component parts. I like blends with a bit of a zip and there is a slight edge to 2020. I don't know if it's sourness or just a piquant note. Either way, it adds to my smoking experience.

Folks have already pointed out the great price point for this bulk blend and they are right. You can buy a pound of it, put some back and smoke the rest. Unlike the supple pressed tobaccos from G&H, 2020 is rougher and a bit more challenging to prepare for the pack. A mild inconvenience in the scheme of things.

I recommend this blend.

Since my initial review, I have probably gone through another three pounds of 2020 and it's a consistent performer. I love the tangy virginias with the oriental kicker. It is still highly recommended.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

I think #2020 is to latakia as #2015 is to perique. Here you get an acceptable level of latakia spice with a straight Virginia base. Not complex, but interesting and tastey. The trick for me is to give #2020 plenty of time to age in order to smooth out the Virginias. When fresh it can be rough and harsh and a bit acrid. I dried this batch until there was no moisture remaining. I then added back a little moisture to make it pliable and "bingo," a very good smoke. This has been aged at least a year. For those who like McClelland Virginias and want a comparatively inexpensive English blend, this is pretty good stuff provided you are willing to work with it. Even with age, the Virginias will speak to you if you push them. Recommended to the frugal smoker of English blends. Paddy.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Tin Aroma: nutty and rich, this is Latakia at it;s best. Not overpowering or cloying, but rich and full, nonetheless.

Physical Charististics: uniformly dark, and a rather mixed cut. Packs easily, due to the mixture of sizes in the cut.

First Light: Lights easily, and burns nicely. No trouble keeping this lit.

Notes: There seems to be very little latakia here, mostly orientals and virginias. However, the latakia that is present lends too much sour taste, and not enough smokiness for my taste. The sourness at least could probably be remedied with cellaring for a few years. As the bowl moves on, the sour/sweet interplay becomes more interesting, and the overall taste begins to develop somewhere inbetween the two extremes.