This tobacco is made from rich, orange and red Virginias to which enough St. James perique has been added to create a refreshing smoke.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Okay, here is a Virginia/Perique blend I actually enjoy (from time to time.) Unlike many blends of this genre, Bulk 2015 is not wimpy in the Virginia department with an overwhelming amount of Perique. The balance weighs on the side of the quality Virginia leaf and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why McClelland's does not tin this one.

The flake breaks up easily and is easily loaded. The burn is even and the flavor varies just enough to be interesting as the leaf is consumed. There is an ever so slight tendency for this one to bite if puffed on with reckless abandon.

Virginia/Perique addicts will buy this stuff by the ton.

The perique is plum and peppery in a support role, and the dominant red along with bright orange Virginias are mildly tangy dark fruit sweet with a little earth, some citrus, and a touch of lemon and grass. There's a minor rough edge to the Virginias, though it's not distracting. The "vinegar" smell hardly translates into the smoke itself, and vanishes fairly quickly. The strength is just past the center of mild to medium, and the taste is medium. Has a mild nic-hit, and won't bite or get harsh. It's a broken flake that still needs some rubbing out, and a light dry time. It burns slow, not so evenly, cool and clean with a well balanced, consistent flavor to the finish. Leaves some moisture in the bowl and you have stir up the last quarter of the pipe if you don't dry it a little. I suggest a light dry time. Has a very pleasant after taste and decent room note. An all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

This, along with Escudo, is the main VaPer in my rotation. McClelland has scored BIG with this blend. Reminds me of my former standby, Ashton Old London Pebblecut, which was made by McClelland and of which I unfortunately am down to two tins. On the off chance that McClelland stops producing this, I have 3 pounds in my cellar. Now THAT is commitment! With a little paranoia thrown in for good measure.

I'm not the kind of smoker that tastes figs or prunes or anything but tobacco unless the manufacturer adds casings of figs or prunes, etc. The virginia flavor is sweet and complex, and the addition of perique marries well to the virginias. As others have mentioned, it should be smoked slowly or it will bite (true of most virginias). The flavor not only holds throughout the bowl but improves as it is smoked. It will require a few relights if not properly dried out. I bring 4 ounces from my cellar at a time and place in my airtight tobacco jar. I then bring out a days supply the evening before for drying and by the next morning, it's in perfect smoking condition. Can be smoked without drying, however, just have the Corona Old Boy on standby.

Smoked in everything from an Ashton Pebblegrain ODA sized pipe to a middle of the road meerschaum to a cheap clay, this blend never fails to deliver. Very highly recommended if you enjoy VaPers.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Mostly medium red, orange and brown, with traces of dark and light leaf. Small flakes of moderate thickness, mostly broken (common to most bulk blends).

Aroma: Sweet yeasty aroma of matured Virginia, trace of vinegar t let you know it?s a McClelland blend.

Packing: In larger pipes, folding the larger pieces into a roll works fine. For smaller pipes, I need to rub the flakes out. Fairly typical flake in this regard.

Lighting: Takes a charring light well. A few puffs, some tamping and a relight has it going at a good pace.

Initial flavor: Lots of taste right from the start. All the elements I expect in a McC Va. are there. Good mixture of high and low notes, and a little extra tingle from the Perique. Good layering of tastes at the top of the bowl.

Mid-bowl: Continues to delight the palate with a range of flavors, The Perique is definitely there, but in a subtle way. Stays cool at the right pace, stays lit well, and smokes dry.

Finish: A bit more Perique presence at the end, but not objectionable. Clean gray ash, no soggy mess.

Summary: A real delight, comparable to many tinned blends at much higher prices. I should cellar a pound or two for a year (or more) to see how well it ages. I suspect it will be extraordinary.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

McClelland - No. 2015 Virginia Perique Flake.

This is a FABULOUS smoke.

At first, I felt puzzled, even though I was expecting a broken flake, the pouch contained mostly whole flakes, and they're some of the thickest I've come across. I view this as a positive though as I enjoy preparing flake tobacco. But, due to the hefty construction, they'll demand a tough rubbing hand if your inclined to load that way!

As I said, the smoke's fabulous, easily this is one of the best quality VaPer's I've piped. The Virginia tastes mature and refined, with only a little sharpness at first, but a big honey sweetness. This couples up with the figgy Perique amazingly; it just gives a superbly high-end flavour. After the first quarter, the smoke takes on more of a lemon/citrus quality, this is closer to the traditional VaPer taste now. The burn from this is also top quality, I hardly need my lighter once the burn's initiated.

To me, the nicotine's medium, maybe medium to strong at a push, and the room-note's quite nice.

This is, without a doubt, worth four stars:

Highly recommended.

After sleeping on it, I've decided this isn't just one of the best VaPer's, it is THE best I've ever had!

Pipe Used: Peder Jeppesen

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.com

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

What a wonderful high quality VA/Perique blend. After going through some of Cornell & Diehls VA Per blends that contain some spicy Turkish additive, I began to look for just a straight VA and Perique blend. I first saw this in the PipesandCigars catalog then I sought out reviews.. (Good) Check. Low and behold it was on sale. (Check) I purchased 5 ounces to begin with. A beautiful tobacco in presentation, color and quality. Impressive. It's on the moist side and rubs out easliy and packs great. The flavor reminds me a bit of the Christmas blend.. in the sense it's something that you can smoke now.. and it's good, but aging will truly send it to another level of goodness.

I agree with PipeStud, that the flavor is more on the VA side but the Perique reveled itself near the middle and gained ground towards the end of the bowl. I do recommend this blend and I will be purchasing more while it's on sale to cellar for the future. VA Per pipers should have this in their bacca arsenal. Smoke it up!

UPDATE: 5/19/15. This tobacco got even better with age. I put some away in a heavy Jar as promised and it's been fermenting to the point when I open the top a nice sharp fermenting smell of aged VA hits my nose and gets my mouth to watering. I can't believe how good this tobacco is and only gets better with age. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for aged Va lovers and Perique lovers.

Pipe Used: Selected Grain Billard

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

I have smoked probably 4 oz. of this before, but it seems I have never written a review. I acquired a couple of ounces of (aged) 2015 in a trade and went to update the review - oops.

The blend is a very good mix of dark Virginias and perique. The Virginia is heavy and sweet - just a little tart. It is not a perique powerhouse, and it adds a pleasant spicy plum that becomes a little more dominant for me as I smoke through the bowl. I have had this with 20% added perique, and I think I prefer it "as is." As delivered, it is a good combo that plays to the strengths of quality red Virginia and perique as a condiment.

I like this a lot. There is a slightly raw quality to it for me although it is never harsh. I know I am smoking tobacco. This is the same way that 5100 presents - a little unprocessed maybe. This is a plus for me in that I _LIKE_ smoking tobacco, and topping tastes good initially and then often gets old. Aged is smoother, but I like it both ways.

FWIW, I half-heartedly rub out the broken flakes and pack it fairly tight in a Kirsten tapered bowl for the best smoke. It seems to favor a wide bowl or the taper.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (49)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

What can I say about this that hasn't been said already? I LOVE this stuff. The Perique is perfectly balanced with the Virginias to deliver a nice sweet creamy smoke with a hint of some kind of rich spiciness. I would say this is the American version of Orlik Golden Sliced. The first quarter is nice but as you get down to mid bowl the flavor and sweetness really pick up. Highly enjoyable and highly recommended for Virginia lovers.

Pipe Used: 4th Generation

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake CIty, UT

J.G. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.G. (7)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

McClelland 2015 is a Virginia-Perique blend. It is not part of my regular rotation; but I have enjoyed it from time to time, as a change of pace, over the last year.

Basics: This a basic, somewhat simple smoke. The taste is sweet and modestly bright (but not very complex) with the Virginias, and there is a noteworthy amount of Perique for spiciness. There is no casing or topping. It is also a bulk tobacco. Tobacconists sometimes sell it under house labels. Online, it can be had at Smokingpipes.com for about $9 for two ounces or for about $52 for a pound. It comes in flakes, which can be rubbed out (which diminishes the flavor slightly) or which can be simply folded over and inserted into a pipe's bowl (which takes a little care to keep it burning). The strength is medium to strong, depending on whether you are used to smoking Perique. :-) Likewise is true for the nicotine.

Good: This is a good, basic Virginia-Perique blend. If you enjoy Virginia tobaccos, and if Perique is something that you do not usually smoke, this will be a nice treat or change of pace.

Bad: This is a good, basic Virginia-Perique blend. If you smoke a lot of Virginia-Perique blends, you might find it a tad unremarkable. Also, at $9 for two ounces, it is not inexpensive....but it is not pricey, either.

Conclusion: I give McClellend 2015 4 stars out of 4. It is good for what it is: a basic Virginia-Perique. It is worth trying, especially if you are curious about Virginia-Perique blends.

SmokeQuest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeQuest (10)

When I first tried this tobacco, it was so harsh it made my whole mouth sore. I hated myself for purchasing 5 pounds before trying it first. Now 5+ years later, I opened up one of the jars which has 5+ years on it. It is without a doubt the best tobacco I have ever smoked, sweet, creamy and smooth. I hate myself for buying only 5 pound when I should have bought at least 50. Buy a truck load if you can, you won’t regret it.

Age When Smoked: 5+ years

North by North Best Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
North by North Best (4)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I just bought a few oz of this fantastic flake in bulk from 4noggins. It is a broken flake, but my bag also contained a few full rectangular flakes. The tin note has the typical McClelland ketchup/vinegar smell, but not to the same extent as their tinned blends. The moisture is just right, smokeable right out of the bag, albeit with a few re-lights, which is to be expected from a flake. The taste is superb... Deep, earthy and grassy, with bright peppery notes from the perique. This is a top notch vaper, which I will be adding to my rotation and cellaring for the future. If you enjoy vapers, do yourself a favor and give 2015 a try.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: 2015

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: Escudo.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (20)

I just bought this yesterday evening in west Austin, Texas, where the local tobacconist marketed it under the name "Acadian Legend." I'm always careful to ask what they are "really" selling me, but I could tell by the look of the flake in the jar that it was going to be pretty good, and I was right. I smoked some last night and again today.

Not surprisingly, the reviews to date bear out my experience. An overwhelming forty-nine out of 85 reviews (that's 58%) give this blend a 4-star rating! An additional twenty-nine reviews (34%) give it a 3-star rating. That means that 92% of the reviews to date give this 3 or 4 stars. So what's the complaint from the seven other reviews? Let's have a look.

First off, one reviewer said that he was giving it "three stars," but then gave it two stars, apparently by accident. Another reviewer had virtually nothing bad to say about this blend, but gave it only two stars anyway. That's okay. Everybody's got an opinion.

That leaves only five negative reviews out of eighty-five. Two complained that it was too moist, and that a "moistening agent" kept it that way. (The sample I bought yesterday was a bit too dry for me, but it came back very well over night.) One complained that it didn't "rub out well." Another complained that it was "too bland." And an admitted "novice" pipe-smoker said that it gave him tongue-bite.

There you have it. By correcting the accidental 2-star rating to a 3-star, the overall score on this blend to date is 297 total stars which, divided by 85 reviews, gives an average of 3.49 stars. One of the top-rated blends!

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

McClelland 2015 is turning into the tobacco I reach for most often. It has the fruity, citrus tang of a good Virginia. The perique is like adding a shot of Tabasco sauce to the smoke -- and I love Tabasco sauce. The tastes are both present from the start, and both of them continue through the entire smoke. There is some change, though; the perique fades a little and the Virginia gets stronger and less tangy toward the end of the bowl. It is pleasant at all stages. I recommend it. The key to enjoying this tobacco is to learn how to smoke flakes properly. It took me a long time to find a way that works. I tried drying it, rubbing it out to different degrees, packing it tighter or looser. None of these satisfied me, and often produced a hot, wet smoke. My pipe would gurgle, the taste of the Virginia tobaccos would disappear when the pipe got too hot, and I would get a burned tongue. Now, I take a big pinch of this straight from the bag and slide it into my pipe so that the chunks of flake are standing on end. I rub a little bit out and press it lightly into the top of the bowl for tinder, and then light it. The chunks of flake burn slowly and quite cool, rather like logs instead of a pile of dry grass. The smoke stays cool, my pipe stays dry, there is no tongue bite, and I am very happy. Also, a pipeful packed this way smokes for a long time -- I regularly get a normal-sized pipe of this to last from 75 to 90 minutes.

A very nice tobacco that needs some drying then it will sip like a dream. I don't know how McClelland does it, but I really like their Virginias. It's hard to describe but it's like "Sweet and Sour", tangy sweetness . The traditional McC Vinegar, gives their Virginias that distinct flavor that I find very tasty. Although, this bulk did not come with a strong McC Vinegar scent, it was still slightly there. Now on to the Perique, very interesting, like a concrete cellar block taste. I know, it doesn't sound good, but it really wasn't bad, a little "French "inhale and you got wet portland cement, interesting. I actually found myself searching for it as I went down the bowl. Just some slight whiffs now and then,watch the spice as you get to the end of the bowl, hot. I will cellar this to see if I can get rid of the bite ,if so, I will buy this again.

Updated 1/21/12 After about 6 months of age and this is still very spicy ( peppery ) ,however it explodes with flavor. I couldn't smoke this all day but a great treat once in a while. I also noticed that this was very hard to light, you need three to four chars before it will take. It also feels like it is going out, just go with it, smoke it at a smolder, don't try to push it or your tongue will suffer. Still 3 stars

Updated 2/17/12- " EUREKA", after 6 months of cellaring I found very little change in the bite I was experiencing from this very flavorful blend. I decided to try some home "stoving". Taking a mason jar, I set my convection oven to 190 degrees , placed the jar with the lid loosely on top and allowed 3 hours to cook. The result was special, 90% of the bite was gone ( Periques always have a little pepper ) and the flavor was not muted to any extent. I basically turned this into a 4 star blend from a 2 1/2.

This tobacco still has a small distraction, it is hard to get a even burn rate. The flake is hard to get uniform when you rub it out. Take a little extra time on those larger flakes and don't try to push it, just go with the burn it gives you. Try it in a smaller bowl as this is a long smoke

hilbertastronaut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hilbertastronaut (7)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

Review #6 Date: 25 Oct 2017

I have been smoking pipes for a few months, and cigars for a few years. I am an occasional (2-3 times a week, a bowl or two at a time) smoker.

I ordered this in bulk from Cup O' Joe's (cupojoes.com). It arrived today.

Cut: Somewhat broken flakes, with a lot of whole pieces. Chunks tend to stay together when rubbed. It seems like a good moisture level: not sticky, but not dried out.

Tin note: German pumpernickel (the real stuff, square and dark). I love that stuff so this was a good sign.

Preparation: Gently rubbed and stuffed into a straight billiard. That works well for the other flake (4th Generation 1931) I've smoked, but this one is a bit more substantial (not quite "rubbery," but not as crumbly) and could perhaps benefit from fold-and-stuff or cubing.

Lighting: Not hard to light, but went out a couple times. I could use more practice with flake, but even then, it wasn't so hard to relight. I got interrupted in the middle of the bowl for a half hour and had to set it down, but it didn't hurt the taste any. Relights returned after a few not-so-awfully-smoky puffs (more quickly than the 1931 mentioned above) to good taste. I didn't pack it quite right so I had some crunchy dottle at the bottom that just wouldn't stay lit, but a better pack should fix that next time.

Taste: Natural Virginia, plus a bit sour and yeasty, a tiny bit peppery, now and then a very tiny bit funky (in a good way -- like mushroom). I liked it better than the very first Virginia-Perique blend I tried, Comoy's Cask #7 (Single Coin Sliced). Cask #7 has more of a stewed fruit taste and is stronger nicotine-wise; No. 2015 is bready and mild. Aroma is sweet, especially sniffed from the bowl.

Room note: Baked bread.

I might go back and revise the rating once I've smoked more blends, but this is good stuff that I would gladly share with friends.

Pipe Used: Straight billiard

Purchased From: Cup O' Joe's (cupojoes.com)

Goose55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Goose55 (15)

I have very much enjoyed McClelland's St. James Woods tinned Virginia Perique Flake, but this one seems to me to be just as stellar. And a bulk offering, no less. So, I'm letting my tins of St. James Woods, and Tudor Castle age in their cool dark place, and enjoying this. The room note is scrumptious and you'll have everyone following you around.

Highly recommend anyone who has not tried this to do so. You won't be disappointed.

Pipe Used: A large, Preban Holm Ben Wade half bent Brandy

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

A nice variety of fruity flavors with a light spice that gets just a little spicier as the bowl progresses. Has an underlying toasty note. Smokes cool and consistent. It's a little light on Perique for my taste, but I won't hold that against it. A great tasting smoke.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavoring. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

2015 Virginia Flake with Perique presents as a loosely pressed, fairly springy, semi-broken flake of medium and light browns. Jar note is a delicious, tangy melange of fig, dates, raisins and a hint of barnyard smells: hay, molassed sweet feed. Moisture content is just right to smoke out of the bulk pouch, but the aged and mellowed product is even better. Either way, 2015 will deliver a pungent stewed fruit note on the charring light: plenty of plum, with date and fig. Further into the first third of the bowl there's a bit of pepper that compliments, rather than detracts from, the sweeter, tangier Virginias.

Overall this is a satisfying, plummy, mildly spicy and mellow VaPer that is consistent in flavor down to the bottom of the bowl: smooth, rich and biteless when sipped. Dry, slow, cool burn, but can burn a bit hot if pushed. Becomes a bit damp in the end, but no mess left in the pipe. A good bulk stock-up for VaPer lovers concerned about tobacco apocalypse. Solid three-star territory and the equal of several other tinned, more expensive McClelland VaPer blends.

*There's very little of that trademark McClelland Virginia note, often described as ketchup or BBQ, strong in vinegar. This mellow VaPer may well be appreciated by those who don't typically gravitate towards McClelland Virginia blends.

After the needed dry time, 2015 smokes with a tangy sweetness that is a bit muted by an ample amount of Perique. During the first half of the bowl the Perique isn’t as forward as it is in the later stages. The red Virginia takes the lead and there is a mild spice note but I wouldn’t call it a spicy blend. The brighter Virginia’s take more of a back seat here. There is no bite and only a moderate amount of complexity and it isn’t as “rich” tasting as my preferred McClelland VaPer, St. James Woods. I tend to enjoy most of my tobaccos dry (not crispy) and even when 2015 is well dried, I am amazed by the slow burn rate of this blend. I prefer to smoke it in a group two or three size bowl with a little fully rubbed out on top. There is a little more Lady N in this blend than in other McClelland Virginia’s that I have smoked too. In smaller amounts, the price isn’t much cheaper than many tinned blends, but buying larger amounts really makes this broken flake an excellent value in terms of quality and price in comparison to many tinned blends on the market. Lovers of McClelland VaPers should make a space in the cellar of this one. While not a rotation maker for me, (although it is for my wife), I am going to cellar some just the same.

MAPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAPiper (10)

First off I was surprised that McC's bulk is pretty much just as good as their tinned leaf. I smoke a ton of Saint James Woods but lately have found my taste for strong perique blends getting less and less. 2015 seems to be more of an all day blend as far as perique level goes. It has the red virginia flavor that I love with a little sweetness and complexity from the orange. Overall is fantastic quality and amazing flavor with a good and sensible amount of perique. Definitely top 5 smoke material here. As usual with McC there's no sauce, casing, frosting, etc. Just carefully crafted high quality tobacco. Oh and who cares about tin note. Smells like natural virginia tobacco.

Get a bunch of it, jar it up and let it age. I don't see how you can be disappointed.

Liquid360 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liquid360 (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I'm not much of a reviewer, but when I try something at all remarkable, I like to note it. Based solely on the reviews here, I ordered a few pounds... how's that for confidence? Everyone mentions the ketchup aroma, or stench, depending on your opinion. Sure enough, it's ketchup! While I love ketchup, I am not a fan of tobacco smelling like ketchup. Eww. I ordered this in spite of, not because of, this characteristic. The flake is really nice! My order looked like a big, fat bag of tree bark. Moisture content was as I like it. Breaks apart nicely. I have a tough time trying to imagine what smoking ketchup would taste like. Others say the tin note carries over to taste, I didn't notice this, but ketchup is sweet and tangy. This is my first ever encounter with "tangy" in the tobacco world. It's very seriously sweet n tangy. It's a wonderful smoke! I was EXTREMELY relieved as I smoked my first bowl... as I gazed upon the few pounds I'd ordered. I'm very curious as to how this stuff ages and evolves. In closing, in dealing with this ketchup issue, if you are revolted by ketchup, it's likely best you stay away from this VaPer. If you like it or if you're curious or indifferent, you owe it to yourself to give this McClelland a go. It's a very tasty, sweet n tangy, and beautifully burning/tasting leaf.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Cumberland Billiard #5

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Not at all similar to other VaPers I've had. Unique in the genre.

BTGreenwald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BTGreenwald (13)

When this stuff first arrived a couple years back I just didn't get it. Hundreds of bowls between then and now and well.. I get it. It is delicious.. The Red VA's soften over time. Its a tad bit brighter (not sweeter) than St. James Woods and I like that.

Perhaps this is what the Red Cake would taste like if pressed together with a comparable proportion of Perique. Funny how when I first cracked the freezer-sealed bag, I really missed this one. I will be ordering lots more of this to cellar. Thank You yet again, McClelland

Pipe Used: Peterson Darwin System

Age When Smoked: 2 Years

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)

McClelland Bulk No.2015 Virginia Perique Flake is a delicious VaPer. The broken flakes are easy to pack and light and burn to a light gray ash. However, it benefits from a bit of drying out. Although a rather inexpensive bulk tobacco, IMO it is one of McClelland's best.

Taste is similar to other McClelland VaPers (yes, it has that ketchup aroma although this dissipates if cellared for a year or so) but better in a number of respects. It is sweet -- I like that -- with a modest Perique flavor (I really didn't detect much Perique spiciness). The taste upon lighting up is nutty but develops into a fairly complex blend of flavors (clove, almonds and vanilla) as one gets to the second half of the bowl. While some others say that it has some fruitiness, I don't detect this. Bite is minimal, even if puffed on hard but, as with all good pipe tobaccos, the flavor need slow smoking to fully develop. I've tried smoking it both rubbed out and in flake form and I strongly prefer the latter as it encourages slow smoking which is necessary to fully develop the flavors. No. 2015 greatly benefits from cellaring for a year or two.

I gave it four stars although I would probably have given it 3.5 if this were an option. Nevertheless, it is an excellent tobacco for the money and, if you like a sweet and really tasty VaPer, you won't be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

arfenhouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arfenhouse (6)

Smoking the last bowl of the 1 oz. that I ordered and decided to write a review. Out of all the VaPers I've tried so far (Anniversary Kake, Escudo) this has the most spicy flavor. I chose to rub it out and give it a good amount of drying time.

First third of the smoke starts off with a medium spiciness, some of the 'ketchup' flavor is still present, light grass, and a light sweetness. The second third is when things start ti get interesting and enjoyable. Earthy, raspberry, sweet ripe orange, and a light spice in the background. There's a bit of raisin/prune and toffee note if the tobacco is allowed to burn a little warmer. In the final third the flavors get a little stronger up until the bitterness starts to come in.

I enjoyed the sweet and musty room note. Burns well rubbed out with drying time.

Very enjoyable blend, will consider picking up a few oz. to age.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Too stong for beginners and likely to bite the overactive. Very rewarding for those with a enough will power to go slow. Relatively complex for a Virginnia Blend. Probably too stinky for most group situations. Good outdoor smoke when relaxing.

10/20/2004: Just dipped in to my latest shipment of 2015. Just right moisture content. Flakes somewhat flexible, fold, roll a little and stuff it in the bowl...ahhhh! Good stuff! Later the S.O. says just the smell on my clothing made her lungs start closing down. This is the best tasting 2015 yet, just mind the non-smokers cause this stuff stinks!

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

If you like perique this is a very fine blend. There are times that I really want to enjoy a good nose tickle from perique and this blend will do it. This and Barbary Coast have something very similar when smoked and I like both of them. You do have to rub this out so it's not my on the go all day smoke. This is my sitting in the easy chair or at the computer relaxing smoke. I can't imagine not having some on hand at all times.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Soft, bready Virginia taste -- as opposed to sharp, or piquant and "hot" tasting. Dark fruit character with a hint of spice, and enough sweetness to balance the presence of zesty sours that perk-up one's salivary glands. The smoke volume, body and mouth feel are just a touch below par, compared to a number of VaPers on the market with greater depth.

This would be a good choice for hobbyists who experiment with tweaking -- perhaps with Orientals or Burleys -- if for no other reason than to improve the body or provide a more robust experience.

toddsmith7378 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toddsmith7378 (32)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I love this tobacco. Very glad to find this in bulk. After finding and absolutely loving the 40th anniversary, I decided to see what all the hub bub was about McClelland Virginia's. They quickly became my favorite tobacco type.

I've really only had the Red Cake, 40th and this one. I love them all. I didn't think I'd be able to find something similar to the 40th in bulk, but this isn't too far off.

It's a bit more ketchup-y, and the perique adds a bit of kick, but it's closer to 40th than say red cake. I still love my red cake for morning lighter red virginia smoking, as this one is quite heavier and spicy. Moreso than the 40th.

40th is still hands down best, but I'm glad to have this in bulk to smoke as a nice more full variation. I won't miss 40th as much when its gone, having this one around.

I just found my favorite type of tobacco here and it surely is my taste, so to each his own, but McClelland red virginia's are really nice and all are preferred over every other tobacco I've tried.

It comes really damp, which I hope isn't to make it weigh more, but it probably does, so I'm hoping my bulk purchase goes a good ways, but with all that water in the tobacco, that remains to be seen. Takes some drying time and breaking to get it appropriate for smoking, but I don't care about that as much as the added weight the water might add. I wonder if buying less damp tobacco yields significantly more to smoke, but again, I just have to wait on that to discern. It is the dampest tobacco I've ever bought. That's the biggest knock.

Otherwise, it's a great addition and something I can see myself enjoying daily.

Pipe Used: Briar

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (64)

This is a good VA/Per, very sweet and burns great, several people around me commented on the aroma, a bit of tongue bite next day but I did smoke two bowls back to back, easy to rub out but I prefer balling and cramming for air pocket packing.

Update- The Virginia's in this blend are excellent, a little on the "bright" side. If rubbed out well (I use a tobacco grinder) it indeed has a more complete flavor profile and burns very easily throughout the entire bowl. Paced puffing is best to moderate burn temperature and to get the benefit of the flavorful Perique.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Virginia

Purchased From: Cutter's Cigar

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)

When I finally got around to getting some of this I was amazed it had taken me so long. Maybe its the perception of bulk tobacco not being of the same quality as the tinned blends from any given source. But in fact this is an outstanding smoke. The Virginias are not as heavily stoved as blackwoods or Dark Star (is anything?) and the perique is moderate, not in the realm of Beacon Extra, say. Still, its not exactly a weak smoke at all. The Perique is pronounced in fact. There is plenty of taste and the fact that the flakes are not quite as moist as some McClelland product makes for a less problematic preparation. The taste is not exactly complex but that doesnt mean its not very tasty, because it is. A wonderful all day smoke for those who want a bit more oomph in their tobacco. I intend to keep this one in the rotation henceforth. Great stuff.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Beacon, and St James Flake..

anglocatholicpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anglocatholicpiper (17)

A great Va/Per blend. I taste Red Virginias more than grassy light Virginias, but as I build my Va/Per collection in the cellar, this is one to keep around. Plus, I enjoyed purchasing this in bulk from SmokingPipes.

Pipe Used: Altinok Meer

Purchased From: smoking pipes

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)

Splendid in the blessed planet of Mc Clelland virginias.Yes,I must confess there are anothers spicier,deeper,more intense perhaps.But the softness and balance of 2015 is unbeatable.Matureness is optimal,the well known McC´s vinegar smell almost unnoticeable,good burning.Maybe a little more Perique?Maybe,but that wouldn´t be an all day smoke and this is the main point.Sure sometimes I preffer,let´s say,Bayou Slices,St.James Woods,Tudor Castle,Pebble Cut.But for the every day fighting this is the right option in VaPer.IMHO,of course.So though I must concede my favour to McC.there are too another quite decent VaPers out there,Cabbie´s Mixture of Samuel Gawith,for instance.Last but not least,it arrived to me with perfect moist for cellaring and just a few minutes of drying for smoking.

Pipe Used: meers & cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh from the bag

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: other VaPers from Mc Clelland.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (60)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

If you are a Va Per fan, you will enjoy this....Especially if you like a good dose of the perique. Not as enjoyable as the Gawith St James Flake, but still a solid Va Per. Needs some drying, but does burn well. Nice sweet Virgina with a solid dose of pepper. Not overpowering, but certainly distinct. Towards the top of my Va Per rotation.

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 2 months

Purchased From: P & C

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith Best Brown and St James..

fmjiii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fmjiii (16)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful bulk flake tobacco. It’s easier to rub out and you actually get "ribbons" rather than little lumps/chunks.

The Virginias are sweet but not cloying, the perique is peppery and leathery and the two play together very nicely giving you a satisfying smoke throughout the whole bowl. The flavor is mouthwatering and is surprisingly consistent down to the heel of the pipe and when finished you're left with a very clean palate without a funky aftertaste.

Full flavor, pleasant/tolerable room note, and not heavy in strength which makes this a great all day smoke. I can smoke this stuff back to back all day and be very satisfied. It won't blow your socks off with complexity, but it is definitely not one dimensional. Ages well too.

Anyone that likes strong tastes like perique owes it to himself or herself to give #2015 a serious try. You will not be disappointed.

Pipe Used: L'Anatra, Dunhill, Viprati

JBA_HLC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JBA_HLC (1)

I've been smoking a pipe for about four months, so this is definitely a novice's perspective. Am accustomed to smoking cigars and reviewing them, but this is my first attempt to describe a pipe tobacco.

I got a couple ounces of this bulk blend from pipesandcigars.com. The flakes in the bag I received were broken up, but nowhere near ribbon. So i did a little rubbing and managed a fairly tight frank-style pack in one of my cobbs that produced a wide-open draw despite the fact that the tobacco was fairly moist.

During and right after the char light, the VA sweetness is up front. Zero bite and quite sweet through the first third of the bowl. Then more variety of flavors including some spicy notes appear as the midway point approaches.

Maybe this is due to my inexperience, but the last part of almost every bowl becomes a little bitey and ashy tasting to me. With Virginias, almost all of the sweetness disappears during the last part of the smoking experience. While better than other blends, I still had this experience with the 2015 VAper. I don't notice other reviewers mentioning this, so I'm pretty sure it's a reflection of my technique that I'll figure out eventually.

It's pretty easy to maintain a good temperature and the smoke volume is significant which I enjoy. You can get a nice amount of smoke without puffing too much and if you overdo it, this tobacco doesn't punish you with bite or harshness.

Overall, this tobacco has great combustion and flavor characteristics. I'm still learning alot about the various types of blends and the individual representations that I find most enjoyable, but VApers are becoming a favorite. This 2015 Flake is as good as any VAper I've tried so far and may become a daily smoke. Will definitely be ordering more.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh (less than a month)

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Old Nate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Nate (17)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I remember the first time I smoked this va/per and the love affair with tasty, zesty, flavorful Virginia Perique blends began! This tobacco sings in your mouth! Almost immediately I notice the sweet spice of the perique that reminds me of tart raspberry pie. Both sweet and spicy with the flavors bouncing off each other throughout the bowl. From charring light to mid bowl the flavors are bright and spicy and fruity. I would describe them as alive throughout the first half and by the second half of the bowl the tobacco starts to develop a little more adding a slight nuance to the flavor profile, but the tart and piquant exuberance of the tangy Virginia and zesty perique is still very much in play. Make sure to enjoy these flavors as they are developing, and mingling with your personal taste buds. In other words, don't overpuff. It will be easy to do, because this is a delicious smoke, and while I find myself wanting to gobble it up, I definitely notice diminished flavors and a slight acrid taste develops if you go this route. But if you take your time, and allow 2015 to absolutely work to its full potential. This is when you notice the deep fruit spice that I am constantly reminded of when handled with care.

All of that being said, this is not a very fussy tobacco. I usually use the three layer method when packing but it also works using the frank method and delivers nicely. The aroma from this blend is perique upfront, and once you get a second whiff and your nose adjusts to the forward perique, you'll start to discern the familiar Virginia plum like tang, especially the McClelland VA smell for which they are so well known. How pleasing is that smell? All of us pipe smokers have become quite accustomed to this beautiful essence and it is there in full force, Virginia and Perique, nothing better. I bought this one from my local tobacconist and it is definitely a little moist and benefits from a good degree of drying time (user discretion). I like to dry it for at least 2 hours, depending how fresh my supply is, which is usually jarred so it is fresh.

Smoke it, enjoy it, and savor that tangy sweet spice. It is sure to please both the Virginia lover and the Perique-o-phile. This is a nice middle of the road blend that can be smoked several times a day, but me personally, I like to keep it to no more than just once a day as it is a mighty peppery blend and I love to look forward to this one when I have it on hand. Plus there are so many baccy's to smoke, you can't go wrong with savoring this mighty fine concoction by the Virginia masters at McClelland.

Pipe Used: Many

Purchased From: B & M

Similar Blends: St. James Woods, Beacon Extra.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Ok this is the blend that makes me really love va and have a great smoking time. Is a medium taste, not too mild and not too strong but i can feel the sweetness of va. I smoke it with a slow smoke and give a smoking pleasure from this blend,and i really enjoy a sweet taste of virginia tobacco and the perique touch. So i no doubt to make this blend as 1 of my favorite blend.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)

Probably the quintessential VaPer. The Virginias, of course, are outstanding and the Perique adds just the right amount of spice. A great "sweet and sour" VaPer and probably the best I've smoked. Sadly, I don't get around to ordering it very often, as I like to try new things. However, I probably should be ordering this rather than other stuff.

I was given a generous sample of this from a hunting buddy who purchased it in town. He was recently back into pipe smoking probably due to the enjoyment he could tell I was having. My first thought was it was a great Virginia flake with a nice VA sweetness typical to MCC Vas, ketchup and all.

I was surprised to find there was perique in the blend at all and I am not sure I even taste it. I actually enjoy this more than CC 2012, the only cc I have had the chance to taste. This blend is a nice one to work around the yard with.

The things I don't like about it and that hold it back from the 4 star range is the low nicotine content and how wet my pipe gets when smoking it. Although a pipe cleaner can clear this problem, it is something I don't really enjoy doing mid smoke and the gurgling is bad. I find that unusual with a VaPer and becasue of that there are several I would reach for instead of this one.

Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (19)

I have smoked this blend on and off for many years and it is still very good. Nice fresh grass sweet smell out of the bag. Somewhat moist so a little drying time is good. Coarse even when rubbed out so for me it burns better in a larger bowled pipe. Sweet smelling when lit but with a robust body in the flavor. Perique adds a little nuttiness and peppery taste. A great change up from Latakia blends which I love. Very much recommended.

Badbrude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badbrude (11)

This has been on my rotation for years. This is my favorite VaPer blend. What I find lacking in most VaPers, MC2015 has it all in spades: Flavor, coolness, peppery with sweet and sour balance. Samuel Gawith's St. James Flake is a close second.

My prep is slightly rubbing out a wad then shaping it into a football that I can load as one unit into my bowl. I like smoking this best with a Duncan Mill Aerosphere pipe as it absorbs the moisture exceedingly well.

If you like VaPers, give this one a shot.

PS - I'd been smoking LJ Peretti's London Flake for years until I found an on-line store that sells MC2015, whose description was very similar to London Flake. When my purhcase arrived, it looked exactly like London Flake. Smokes exactly the same. If Peretti's London Flake isn't MC2015, I'll eat my hat.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)

UPDATED REVIEW 2017 I have smoked this blend on and off from 2011 on. I figured I'd provide a more descriptive review.

From the bag the redish, medium-brown flakes provide scents of tangy, sweet earth with hints of hay and dark fruit. Definitely a McClelland VA blend. It reminds me of red cake in smell, but not quite as sweet and a bit of spice.

The broken flakes are easy to load in a bowl or to rub out and load. Lighting is a breeze and I find one I get it going it tends to continue if tamped gently occasionally.

The red va's provide a natural sweetness and tang that includes dark fruit notes, some toasty caramel hints, and some earth and just a tad of hay. The perique is a condiment in this blend as it also deepens the dark fruit flavors and rounds them out with just a bit of spice. The smoke is not harsh and doesn't bite. It reminds just a bit of redcake but with more going on....more spice and a great variety of flavors. Definitely worth ones time.

OLD REVIEW 2012 I have found, when the mood is right, especially on a nice summer day, that I love a good VaPer. With the virginias in these blends, it has been my experience that they are of a lighter nature, like Escudo, Scottish Cake, Bulls-eyeflake, Navy Flake, etc... These 'lighter' virginias produce a sugar-cookie, hay-ish, like sweetness that I very much crave. With this blend of red and orange matured Va's though, I have experienced something different than my typical VaPer blends. This tobacco seemed to be richer and fuller than the aforementioned VaPers. There seems to be more depth and the sweetness is heavier, like comparing a sugar-cookie to a rich cheesecake. The smell from the bag of this blend is exactly how it tastes & smells when smoked. Truly delightful!!!

Pipe Used: Billard, Corn-Cob

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-3 months

Similar Blends: Nording - Beagle (Hunter Blend), McClelland - No. 5100 Red Cake.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I was gifted exactly 2oz of this from a friend on a private cigar/pipe forum a few years back. According to my good friend who has been smoking and cellaring tobaccos since the early 80's, this one he had cellared since 1990!

Let me just say, this particular 2 oz sample only gets smoked on rare occasions that I KNOW I will not be interupted, bothered, or interferred with. The mellowness of this 21 year old tobacco is like nothing I have ever smoked in my life. The flakes are all broken into thin strips, but that just makes my job of loading easier.

Rich, mellow and a bit tangy, I savor every pipeful of this. I'm noy sure what a modern day 2015 tastes like, but I may have to cellar a few pounds and find out in another 21 years.

Update 2/2016 I still continue to smoke this quite often, and have several pounds in my cellar. Ages terrifically!

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)

One thing I've learned about McClelland 20's: You never know what a few weeks will do till you've let it sit for awhile. This seems like an ok, mild, va/per. No muss, no fuss. I have never been let down by McClellands yet, so I bet this stuff only gets better. At the price it's going for a must try.

20 Oct 11 Update: I smoked this all summer long and feel deeply in love with it.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

Good Va/Per, tasty and never dull. The preservative smell is light which for me is a plus since a strong ketchup smell is the thing that turns me away from McClelland. It burns very slowly so one should smoke this with plenty of time to spare. Sweet plums and a peppery taste greet you during the entire smoking session, this is a hidden gem of a Va/Per flake.

juanocp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanocp (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

First VaPer and what a start. When received the stuff i crumbled all of it and let it dried in mi case for a couple of days. When loading it was lose cause this being a flake, always works (better lose and adjust with tamper than have to put down a wasted pipe).

Love at first sight. The virginias in there are just indescribable, these lasted for half of the bowl, the second half was spices i'm asumming the perique, just spice to complement the sweetness of the virginias, smoked two bowls and they both behave the same way half virginia sweetness and half perique's. My only complain is that i couldn't smoke these on an empty stomach. I'm still to try the so acclaimed Escudo.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This has been reviewed so many times...and tbh it was on the overwhelmingly good reviews that I went out and bought some...and I was not disappointed. This is absolutely one of the best VAPERs that money can buy. It's pleasant enough freshly out of the bag, but if you can buy enough to age some, and I strongly suggest you do, you will be rewarded with a smooth creamy smoke unbeatable at it's price with any other VAPER on the market. In my humble opinion this is really one of the best smokes I have had to date...wonderful hints of fruit, bread dough, cream and spice. My method, for what it's worth, is to fill a couple of pipes in the morning and smoke them in the evening slowly and contemplatively. Easily beats Fillmore and that's not to say I don't rate Fillmore because I do, but McClelland knows how to blend virginia and perique far better than Mr Pease...though I think Mr P is a better blender where Latakia blends come into play. But each to their own....if you haven't tried 2015, you owe it to yourself to give it a go.

Updated...I was very enthusiastic about it fresh out of the bag wasn't I :-) I do stand by my comments though in letting it mature a while. I have so many blends in my cellar that I rarely come to 2015 and thus I now have a lot, more than 5 years, in the jar. When I do turn to a pipeful now and again I find this blend very rewarding indeed. Like all USA produced virginias it needs careful gentle smoking so as not to get bitten and so playing Warcraft and puffing 2015 furiously is not something to be at all recommended!

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)

Smelling this tobacco reveals a hint of vinegar. Nice and sweet all the way through. The nicotine is just right and is a little bonus to this fine tobacco. 3/4" bowl smoked for an hour - I'll definitely be buying more.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

Update 5/29/08

I'm going to waffle again here and put this back to 4 stars. It is that good most of the time and only once did I get a 3 star batch.

Original Review Follows

I opened it and did smell that ketchup smell, but who cares. Lit it up and at first this didn't burn well for me, I almost despaired because I could tell there was some taste here. I let it dry a bit, even though it didn't seem wet to me and packed it less tightly and voila an awesome smoke! This is truly great stuff and has currently taken over the top spot in my rotation. I get consistently good taste out of this one. If you like Virginia tobacco go out and get some!

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)

This is a 4 star VA-Per with no bite. It has rich, tangy classic VA taste with that hint of creaminess while the Perique balances perfectly providing that full tobacco taste and depth.

Wonderful aroma from the bag, and a little moist, but it burns clean and fresh tasting with little residual moisture. I don't dry mine very much and sometimes not at all. A very tasty smoke that burns well and lasts a long time.

The price is great, coming in bulk, and the quality uncompromising. This is in short - a top notch tobacco.

I consider this an "all day smoke" which would appeal to aromatic and non-aromatic fans alike.

This is also a way to enjoy Perique without that chracteristic bitey-harshness that the Louisiana Leaf is known to impart.

McClelland, you've hit a home run with 2015.

Wow!!!!!!

What a winner.

4 Stars ()-()-()-()

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)

This blend has been compared to Peretti's London Flake and indeed it is very similar in looks, tin aroma and, until recently with me, the flavor. 2015 is more of a broken flake. I find it to be milder, less harsh with richer notes toward the middle and bottom of the bowl and a little drier. The descriptions of both tobaccos on this site indicate that both are made of Orange and Red Virginias with a little Perique. However, Peretti's web site currently lists the ingredients of London Flake as Orange and Lemon Virginia with Perique, so I don't know if they have changed the blend, but I have noticed as of late that it has had a more sour taste to it, thus I have become more attracted to this stuff. I find it is a good all day blend what with the milder characteristics. Much less irritation but the flavor has not been compromised. As other reviewers have noted, if the VA/P blends seem too harsh for some, they should give this a try. I have not been disappointed. The price is reasonable too, relatively speaking.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have just finished a one year old sample from my cellar, and I love this stuff. It must indeed be dryed out prior to smoking, as already noted. I find it to start out peppery and spicy, then it settles down to a most delightful full bodied smoke. The Perique is just the right level for my taste. The quality of the leaf seems to be very high, and if one smokes this gently, an enchanting interplay of the Virginia's and Perique is your reward. This blend DGT's very well- in fact I often pack a nice half bent briar with this and take a few puffs in the morning before work, then lick my chops all the way home in anticipation of the after dinner pipe with a nice drink. I often smoke myself into a major hiccup fit with 2015, partially from the Perique and partially because I just devour it. Just be sure to dry it out. If I smoke it in the garage, Mrs Frosty sneezes her head off. McClellands is to be thanked for their gift to Vapers!

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

One of the blends I never get tired of smoking. Virginias might be second in quality to Old Gowrie's, but they're well above their price and the added Perique make them really enjoyable. When I'm not sure which Virginia/VaPer I will enjoy at a given time, I can safely grab 2015 knowing that I'll get what I want.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow. An excellent tobacco. I lit this up on a rainy night and was thrilled by the entire experience. My first bowl was in a brand new Peterson bent apple, and the entire smoke was....sublime. The complexity of flavors ranging from earthy to spicy was magnificent. The weed lit fine and smoked cool. I enjoyed it enough that I had to fire up another bowl in a more seasoned pipe, just to make sure. The second smoke was as good as the first. I'll be keeping this blend around for a long time. Also, I intend to lay some aside for aging, as from what I've read, the good becomes great over time...

Update--1 September 2010 A word of caution: this is a great evening smoke, but beware! I smoked a rather large bowl of this prior to heading to work, and found myself rather sluggish for the remainder of the day! There's a significant nicotine wallop, it slowed me down considerably. Still: a tremendous tobacco!

I find that there are two ways to smoke this: unbroken, just stuffed into the pipe, and fully ribbed out. I prefer the first; it smokes well, leisurely and cool, with the subtleties of the blend coming forth in good time. When rubbed out, it smokes differently: not as sophisticated, and actually a bit on the hot side. Thus, I recommend keeping the flakes as full as possible and savoring the experience as it comes. When rubbed out, the flavors come haphazardly and in somewhat of a rush. Still, all that said, a great smoke for a cool evening.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)

If one has acquired a taste for this tobacco, one has thus understood pipes and tobaccos. It is a very fine broken flake, enjoyable in small and large briar bowls alike. I find it best when dried somewhat and rubbed well in a large bowl. Once you hit the zone it brings about a soft bite-free vaper flavour that can only be described as it is. To describe it with fruits, inanimate objects or even legumes is simply not appropriate since "tobacco" is the operative adjective and noun alike. This blend is worthy of an entry in the encyclopaedia under VAPer Tobacco. There are many in the same group, but I classify this among the best benchmarks because it is well made, high quality and presents a cherished flavour only for the initated. Have some in your stash along with Telegraph Hill, Solani 633, Filmore, Irish Oak, Luxury Bull's Eye Flake and Haunted Bookshop.

cheers

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Tangy McClelland Red Virginias and some peppery Perique make this bulk blend very tasty. It tastes like 5100 with a dash of Perique, not a lot, but enough to satisfy my Perique craving. Very much an all day smoke for Va/Per lovers, highly recommended.

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (26)

a great smoke in my opinion, as good as it is, Think If McClelland offered it in tins what it would be like if aged for a few years . I an't complaining tho I have some aging in sealed jars. 4 stars hoo-boy

Circle H Brothers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Circle H Brothers (8)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

So I bought several ounces of McClellands 2015 over a year ago and my impressions have changed somewhat over the course of that time. I got this based on the fine reviews on TobaccoReviews.com when I first started my journey to discovering Va/Pers and I must say that I was slightly disappointed at first, but I chalk this up to my inexperience and naivete concerning the style.

The blend is a great value due to being available in bulk. The "flakes" come more as a broken flake with a lot of loose tobacco to boot, but I don't count this against it as I generally like to rub this blend out anyway. While I can certainly appreciate a pretty presentation, for me it is what is on the inside that counts. The color is a deep, dark reddish brown with flecks of lighter tobaccos peppering the flakes.

The tin/bag note is the typical McClelland vinegar, BBQ, Worchestshire sauce smell that is associated with their Virginia blends. Some will say ketchup, but to me it goes way beyond this. This will put some smokers off of the blend but it doesn't for me. I've smelled many Virginias that have a similar aroma and I just associate it with the curing and aging process that the leaf goes through. There is a dried fruit aroma as well a spicy characteristic which is imparted from the Perique as well. Not much of the sweet hay and citrus smell that the brighter Virginia blends seem to have. This is darker and headier in aroma.

The mechanics are good, maybe a relight or two, but I find that after a drying period, it lights and behaves beautifully. No real bite, but will turn harsh and ashy if you puff like a train.

The taste when new was lackluster for me. This is for several reasons. First, I didn't know what to expect from a Va/Per at the time. I was an English-only kind of guy, so I was expecting big, bold flavors and intensity, and that is not what this blend is all about. After becoming more accustomed to Va/Pers and their flavor profiles, I began to appreciate 2015 for what it is. A very nice, all day Va/Per with lots of upfront sweetness and enough Perique figgy spice to keep it interesting. This changes with age, but I'll get to that later.

The nicotine is noticable, but not overwhelming. It satisfies and I don't feel the need to smoke another bowl for several hours (if that). The mouthfeel (Strength/Body) is Medium when new, but that changes with age, and the Room Note is that of your typical Va/Per. Pleasant to most pipers and tolerable to nonsmokers.

So, what about aging this blend? Do yourself a favor and age it for at least a year or more, and this is why. The blend is good when new, but nothing spectacular. It will satisfy some Va/Per-heads, but I believe that most who look for complexity and nuance will notice a HUGE difference after at least 12 months in a jar. How does it differ from when new? Well, the first thing I noticed is the sweetness of the Virginias is much more pronounced and the complexity offered by the Perique comes through much clearer than when the blend is new.

But one of the things that I noticed even more so is the body of the actual smoke. It becomes creamy and dense and coats the palate and carries all of the flavors more fully than when it is new. This makes the blend much more satisfying as well as affordable. Instead of smoking two bowls to be satiated, I only need one and I'm good for the day. This is why I will always have this blend in my cellar and will include it in my rotation after it has aged properly. At the current prices, you could easily purchase a couple of pounds and put it away and only draw what you need for a week's worth.

I also find that this blend works best in pipes with tall, narrow bowls, but YMMV.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph, Il Ceppo Egg

Age When Smoked: New to 1 Year, but best with age

Similar Blends: Gawith St James Flake.

Papas Fritas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papas Fritas (5)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

No. 2015 Virginia Perique Flake is the third of about a dozen samples I picked up of McClelland’s, so far excellent bulk blends. I rub all of my flakes out completely and this one needed about a half an hour of dry time before I loaded up. It left my hands smelling like Catsup, made me want, you guessed it, french fries. I have smoked many other VaPer’s and this one is exactly what I have been looking for, bar none. It is medium in strength and flavor and I can smoke it all day long and never get bored with it. The Perique is at the perfect amount; you get the spicy richness that is balanced perfectly with the Virginia. It smokes cool and clean from the start to the bottom of the bowl, I just cannot find anything bad to say about this one, Four Stars.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Bent Billiard, Mario Grandi Fatta

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This flake smoked very evenly and lit easily. It was a pleasant Virginia perique . While pleasant, and certainly a smoke I would I would accept if offered, I do not find it to be unique enough to justify buying anymore.

leacha Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leacha (15)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Since I do not have a highly refined palate, it's hard to describe tastes and flavors that I experience. I only know what I like and do not like. So here's my rating scale and a brief reason for the rating.

★★★★ = Excellent - Apocalypse blend, cellar worthy.

★★★☆ = Good - Not part of regular roatation but keeping a few tins/ounces is wise.

★★☆☆ = Fair - A smokable blend that is worth trying again.

★☆☆☆ = Poor - Do not smoke! Trade off or give away to the unsuspecting.

Because tastes and blends change over time and depending on what pipe is used, I reserve the right to change my rating at any time.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin note is full of McC's notorious ketchup smell, but fortunately the smoke is nothing like that. A spicy vaper with right amount of perique. A little too spicy for my taste and can bite you if pushing hard. I give the rating only on personal liking, but with the bulk price, it's reasonable to get all the popularity.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)

Don't want to beat a dead horse here, or a four star tobacco, so I will add very little. Top of the line virginia/perique with an equally unbelievable price. I've been smoking King Eider lately and this is very similar in texture, moisture and smell, although in both taste and odor, 2015 is slightly sweeter, and much more affordable. The best of its class.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (29)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I can't ask any more to a blend! This blend is spicy, tasty and with just the rigth dose of nicotine.Easy to burn, with out bite tongue. The mature virginias and the perique are the perfect marriage. Congratulations to Mac Clelland's fellows.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

04/09/2014 - My last batch of 2015 had wayyy too much Perique for me. It was spicy like those 10,000 times hotter than hell hot sauces, you know the ones with a mushroom cloud or the words "death" etc. I know I got a bad batch (or good if you really like Perique) but raising my rating to 4 stars since my aged batch which I had to dip into is absolutely divine!

8/3/2004 - I have waited awhile to review 2015. I wanted to get a real good feel for it. After smoking a pound, i find i like my Kind Eider better. The leaf is a better quality in that it has no sticks and the flakes are larger for a bulk blend. They are almost similar but the 2015 has more of a tangy sweet and sour sauce taste and i prefer the slightly smoother King Eider.

Hands down if i had no other tobacco i would be very content to smoke 2015! Good stuff in its own right.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)

Yum!

There are precious few Virginia/Perique blends that are as consistent and well balanced as 2015.

The Perique adds just the right amount of peppery goodness without being overbearing. The Virginias integrate beautifully into this blend and provide a beautiful base to this mixture.

This is a bulk blend that stacks up head to head with any tinned blend of any kind.

It can be found at many B&Ms as well as over the Internet at excellent prices. It's hard to find something wrong with this picture!

This is one of the best bulk tobaccos that I have ever come across. The Virginias are of a high quality and the perique is tasty indeed. Next to Escudo this may be the most well blended VA/P that I have tried to date. Complex enough to satisfy when I'm in the mood and yet has good enough burning characteristics to smoke when I don't want to pay much attention. This would be a good place for an aromatic smoker to begin with all natural tobaccos. It stay sweet the whole way through and the Perique, while gaining in intensity as you smoke your way down, never gets beyond the nice spice stage. This acts like it wants to nip the tongue but thankfully never quite gets to that point. In fact, for a McClelland Va it is remarkably bite free. A low price tag makes this bulk blend a heck of a bargain!

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)

Another great tobacco from McClelland. Similar in taste to 5100 with a bit more. This one must be smoked slow to appreciate the variety of flavors. It doesn't tend to smoke hot, but can do so if pushed. Once again, for the economy and quality it's hard to beat.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

The tobacco is a broken flake, dark brown with flecks of lighter leaf. The tin aroma is the usual McClelland Va. odor of vinegar or catsup. I suspect they use vinegar in some part of their curing process, perhaps to reduce the alkali level of the tobacco, but who knows. I buy this in 1 lb. bulk and let it age a little, and smoke perhaps five bowls of it a week among the other twenty or so tobaccos I have going at any one time. I have found that the smoking characteristics of this blend may vary from batch to batch. Some times I need to dry it out completely before adding back a little moisture to make it pliable for packing and smoking, otherwise it can offer a little bite. This batch is, however, rather moist but burns smoothly and offers no bite. I rub out the flakes thoroughly in my palm as I do with most flake tobaccos. I make a little chickpea size dottle, gradually fill the bowl, tamp lightly with my fingers and fire up. The flavor of the smoke is always consistent and is a combination of natural Va. sweetness (no sweeteners added that I can detect) and a light Perique tang. This is not a complex smoke, simply good Va. and good Perique. It is an excellent smoke for those who like the pure tobacco flavors. Paddy.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Like Esoterica's Dorchester to the life, plus a moistening agent whose smell I don't care for.

Another winner from McClelland in a natural smoke. No casings here just great brown VAs intermixed with some lighter birdseyes and with just enough Perique to result in a well balanced blend and a pleasant experience. I don't even bother to rub out the nicely pressed flake which results in a long, mild, even, cool smoke. The intial taste is semi-sweet but light bodied. The woodsy undertones of the Perique become more evident but remain subtle until near the bottom of the bowl when more spiciness develops. I thought that it smoked a bit wet in various bowl sizes, but with my next receipt, I'll try to dry the tobacco some since I feel the intial moisture content of this batch was > needed. I find the medium strength to be ideal for an all day smoke but switch to a stronger blend after dinner.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

A solid bulk flake with good flavor and a smooth smoking quality.

What No. 2015 does best is strike a unique balance between the taste of McClelland's red Virginias and their pungent, plummy perique. The Virginias taste rich, toasty and dry, and the tangy dark fruit flavor of the perique comes across clear mix while still managing to play a perfect counterpart. Together these tobaccos present a satisfying amount of spice. Nasal exhales tingle and even burn a little, but only in that exhilaratingly good kind of way. The flavor depth and spice build nicely as the bowl progresses and never overwhelm.

No. 2015 is a medium bodied smoke with medium tobacco flavor strength. The nicotine strength is slightly below medium and there’s no bite or harshness to speak of. This flake does require some dry time and a few relights along the way, but it is easier to work with than the majority of McClelland’s Virgina flakes. It goes without saying that 2015 tastes best at a slow sip.

While this isn’t my preferred McClelland VaPer, 2015 is still a solid smoke and I would imagine that with the right amount of age it has the potential to be spectacular. Please note that my review is based on a freshly purchased 4 ounce sample with no additional aging.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)

This is a light VAPER which seems to be well balanced, but due to a lesser than assertive flavor this begs comparison to other more robust fulfilling blends in my mind. This is a so-so one for me, but not unpleasant to smoke. I finished my portion, though won't purchase this again. Body is medium, smokes well once lit, few relights and a light clean flavor once finished. This just didn't fill me up, didn't quite satisfy, left me longing for another bowl, unfortunately not a bowl of the same. 2 stars..sorry 2015. TCJLY

Michael N. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael N. (10)

I'm still a rather novice VA smoker. Less than one year, of thirty plus, smoking pipe. I've found some excellent ones, awful ones & not awful but ONE-TIME trials. I always smoke ( or try to ) about 2oz before forming an opinion. Since I'm truly not a Perique fan, I didn't make it through all 2 ozs, as this was way too peppery for my 'buds'. I'll say it packs well, lights very well, and smells pretty good in the pouch/jar. But, I'll not deprive others and move on.

Pipe Used: Various Briars

Age When Smoked: 3-6 months

Purchased From: P&C, on line

Similar Blends: others, with Perique, I did not care for !.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

IMO not a standout flake, but a solid smoke. Someone described the flavor as "cement block" and "wet pavement," which is strangely apt. I'd add that there's a touch of ozone in there too. Not very flattering descriptions, but the flavors work together. The perique is definitely present and the VAs are top quality which is why it gets 3 stars from me.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (25)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The "tin note" on this blend is spot-on with aroma of the corn silage produced by my family's dairy farm. It's not ketchup you're smelling folks, just the scent of fermented vegetable matter.

I have no luck smoking this stuff folded and stuff, I have to rub it out first. Once I do though it's moderately easy to smoke; stays lit and isn't too gurgly. It's on the wet side when fresh so a bit of drying is recommended.

To me the flavor is overall on the light/mild side. I taste sweet alfalfa/plums with a light tang from the perique.

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)

I bought this blend because I can't find my regular vaper flake anywhere, (has there been a blight on Virginia tobacco?) I was unimpressed to begin with, but a couple of weeks of smoking has caused it to grow on me.

It's mild for sure, but the good thing is that it doesn't bite at all, even after repeated bowls. This tobacco needs to be rubbed out throughly so that it burns well, I wouldnt advise smoking it in flake form. I have come to appreciate it's smooth flavor, the perique is just right for my tastes (I know it's there for a little spice, but doesn't burn the mouth). Slightly sweet, a little spice mid/late bowl, and very slow burning, it might just become a regular in my rotation. Smoked at leisure, it's taste becomes more apparent, and i'm thinking about buying some to celler for 6 months, I think it would age nicely. 3 stars.

I can't say this is a cool smoke by any means, but it is a flavorful one -- fairly slow burning, naturally sweet. If this site had a 5 star scale it would be a 3, but right now I have to keep this at 2+ for me. I look forward to trying it again a few months.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Nice smoke not overwhelming good flavor.Lots of smoke,not my favorite but its up there. Doing a revisit of this smoke , ie an update I love this tobacco it is very very good . I guess it takes some time to find some thing you like better than what you are used to.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

We have all had this experience one time or another... the one where you really want to like a blend and can taste the potential in it.. but something just doesn't do it for you. For those who do like this tobacco - I am jealous because it is a va/per at a great price.. I found the mccleland treatment of an otherwise quality tobacco just a little too off putting.. It isn't just the ketchup thing.. there is something else almost a soapy thing going on and not a pleasant soap. Whatever treatment mccleland gives their virginias is preventing me from appreciating their tobacco.. So if you don't mind the mccleland treatment you are sure to love 2015.. if you don't - avoid it.

I have become quite fan of VaPers and this is another in my quest to try them all. This is a nice blend but not a great blend. It comes in a semi rubbed out state, needs drying as it comes to moist and it is of a pretty uniform dark brown color leaf. The pouch note is slightly sweet, little of the kethchup aroma common with MC blends and a little musky, obviously the perique in it. If loades easy in the pipe after being rubbed out some more and lights very easy. It burns at a nice slow pace and has the semi sweet flavor of VA with a touch of the perique emitting through. It is creamy and non biting to the tongue and while there is no Ah HA moment with it, it really is a pleasant smoke. But I find it is a little light in the perique dept and the VA used could have been a touch sweeter for it to be a regular for me. It does burn down to the bottom at it's slow pace needing few relights and it burns dry to the end with a black and white ash and little dottle. As it is not an inyour face blend, it easily could be an all day blend for some, but for me, it won't make my keep in the cellar list. I recommend trying it but I can't give it a rousing review as it's pretty non dimentionable.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

In my continuing exploration of VaPers it is quite natural for me to try this blend. Hence, I purchased 2 ounces of this flake as a trial. My favorite VaPer to date has been C&D's Bayou Morning (in bulk ribbon form; I've not tried this as their version flake yet) and my second favorite, closely behind, is Escudo (a true pressed product).

2015 did have some small jar aroma of the McClelland ketchup topping, but not badly so. Moist enough to pack easily but not so much as to be difficult to keep lit, it was a smooth, generally pleasant VaPer of medium strength. It's taste is a bit muted, subdued in comparison to Escudo or Bayou Morning. I think therefore that the VA component is greater here and the Perique a bit less than those others. The VAs dominate this flake with Perique playing a less prominent role. I consider it a 'journeyman' blend and well suited for those times when one wants a long smoke. Load up a huge bowl and be assured of a pleasant smoke for quite some time. Also suitable as an all day VaPer where Bayou Morning or Escudo might become too much. Although a VaPer, in comparison to McC's Dark Star (a pressed VA) I like 2015 better just for the ease of smoking it, plus the added spiciness of the Perique. Nice tobacco. 3 Stars.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I got off to a bad start with this tobacco somehow. I picked it up at McCranies as "Southport" I suppose expecting something quite different. My normal smoke is Orlik Golden Sliced so maybe I was expecting that with perique.

When I got home and opened the pouch, the aroma really put me off. It smelled to me like ketchup. I loosely loaded my pipe not rubbing it out much further than how it came. The flavor was unimpressive and I couldn't detect the sweetness I expected from a VA. Also, the moisture level led to some unexpectedly serious tongue bite. I let it sit for about three weeks and having only two slices of Orlik left, I gave it another try.

Obviously, the tobacco elves came by secretly and performed some kind of miracle because I was confronted with a wonderfully sweet spicy smoke. I also took more time rubbing it out further and loading my pipe with some larger pieces loose at the bottom and a finer rub at the top to get the fire growing. I smoked it all day today and having nothing else to do, was able to delve into the complexities of this blend and was never tempted to go for those last two slices of Orlik.

I am going to spend another full day with it tomorrow and expect to buy a half pound next week and let it dry some before smoking it. By the time I finish this pouch, I will have had sufficient experience at rubbing it out to get an optimum smoke.

I found it to have a better than average amount of vitamin N. and the flavor seemed sometimes medium and sometimes full. The burn was beautiful and lasting - not a fast smoke and I don't recommend trying to rush it as your tongue may object. In fact, I don't recommend starting a bowl unless you have time to relax, savor and pay attention to it. The room note - all tobacco smells good to me; all tobacco smells bad to my wife but I got no complaints from my dogs.

Definitely give this one a try. I won't be surprised if I come back in a month and give this one another star.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been trying for over two years to like this tobacco. I say trying because I have had four ounces that I have been samling off and on for that amount of time. Don't get me wrong, this is quality tobacco, but not to the level that I believe it should be.

The taste is not as full as one would assume from the ingredients used. The virginia is anemic at bet and the perique is MIA. NO mtter what humidity level or age, this is a disappoinment. I really wanted to like it, but it is sadly just another bulk offering that pleases the middle of the road crowd.

Stokkebye has much more impressive offerings in bulk form, as does C&D.

If you like the lighter, less flavorful Vapers, this is your nirvana.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is nice. The perique is perfect in this blend. I normally don't care for perique in my blends, this one may convert me.

I found it to rub easily, dry quickly and pack very well. I did have to relight a couple times but it was only a couple.

I agree with another review below that this goes up in smoke quickly but that is fine, I hate those that burn slow like coal.

It lit up quick and smoked cool. I did get a peppery taste from the perique at the very beginning but this quickly fades as the bowl progresses, the flavor mellows and builds very nicely into a wonderful almost stewed flavor.

Tastes a lot like the smell of a fresh crop of VA tobacco curing in the barn when the stoves are doing their work.

I am highly reccomending this to the patient- almost steady sipping is ok, puffing in almost any form is not. So far a 3/4 inch dia bowl is doing the best with this blend for me.

Goes on where 2010 stops in flavor. I love this series of tobac's 2000, 2010, 2015, 2020 are great. I think this is sorta what 5115 was trying to be like but it fell short. This does the fruity thing naturally from the perique. Much better.

If you like natural tobacco flavor it is in here. A little cigarettish but in a very pleasent way.

I think you should go try some....

update: this is a good tobacco but I seem to be unable to tollerate perique anymore, It just irritates my throat. Not bad for folks who love perique!

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Simply I don?t like the 2015, it did not work with me, I find this Virginia/per tasteless, bland and spicy, doesn?t burn well and doesn?t get dry even when left in my car 1 week in summer time, under the sun, it will remain wet !

I can?t recommend it to anyone.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

Originally this blend was a pain in the butt because it came extremely wet and no matter how much I rubbed it out it never seemed to dry out. Finally, I put my sample on a cutting board and minced it as I do garlic. It finally broke up small enough that it was able to dry out. I did smoke a bowl before it was dried out enough. I was extremely disappointed because I had to relight so many times that I couldn?t take notes well enough to give a proper review. After chopping this blend into oblivion I was able to smoke it almost to the bottom of the bowl. Even though this blend is pretty good for a bulk blend, I feel that the amount of prep work just isn?t worth it to me. However, if you are very patient with this then you will be rewarded with a fine bulk blend. The different Virginias taste very good against the amount of Perique that is in this blend. Taste-wise this was a very good blend but like I said earlier the amount of work to get it there just isn?t for me.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Okay, this review is easy for me. This blend never dries out, never! It must have some moisture reagent in it. Nevertheless, it is absolutely tasteless, doesn't burn well, and scorched my tongue. I found myself enjoying a pipe of Sir Walter Raleigh over this, and I hated SWR. I apparently don't get it.

pyroboby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pyroboby (5)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

By having to smoke outside in on the deck or garage i have found the depending on temperature outside, wind, etc, makes different blends perform differently. For me this blend, 2015 was purchased in a 4oz bag and upon opening the box and plying the bagi was met with tangy smell that i have noticed in many of Mcclellands blends and from reading other reviews i promptly sealed the bag and let it sit for several weeks. By now the moisture had become quite nice and the tangy also had a slight sweetness to it so i loaded my virginia only pipe with the 3 layer method. While the tobacco tasted nice i puffed too hard to keep it lit and subsquently got bit and a nasty head spin from the nicotine. So after sitting for several months now i had read up on the frank method of packing the pipe and was eager to see it work its magic on this.

Let me say right now that i am sold on this method of packing as i was able to smoke the pipe at my leisure without sucking like a madman or relighting every 5 minutes. The tobaccy was wonderfully smooth now, no bite anymore. About mid bowl i notice the perique become more prominent and loved it. The bowl finished off sweet and spicy IMO and was a great break from the large amount of latakia blends i posses. If packed properly i would suggest this a an all day smoke and a must smoke for any virginia lover out there. I plan on buying more and cellaring it properly in jars to see how it will fare later down the road.

Rob

This is one of the few Va-Per blends I really like. This flaker are pretty thick, the thickest I've ever seen, but they're easy to rub and pack. I can suggest to rub them roughly and pack, then top them with a pinch of finer shredded ones and finally press a little: this will make the lighting easier. The flavour during the smoke is really consistent from the beginning to the end, with the Perique quitely assertive and not overwhelming as in many other blends. The Virginias are good quality ones, neither excessively sweet nor biting. A particularly good point about this mixture is its roundness, hard to find in a Va-Per blend which are usually rather sharp in taste. On the contrary, one bad thing is that the smoke can be a little wet if you don't pay attention: but if you do, you'll be rewarded with a tasteful, almost creamy, smoke. McClelland bulk blends are proving to be just as good as the tinned ones in my opinion, and very well worth the money. Recommended.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)

It's all been said, smooth ,sweet,slightly spiced,and mild...Yum

One of my favorites.

Get you some. But not to much.....

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

I've smoked a couple other McClelland 2000 series blends--2025 and 2035-- both of which I found to bite with madness. I didn't have that problem with 2015, which was surprising, since I tend to be a nervous puffer.

The Perique also seemed subtle too, which was much welcome. It's not overpowering like some of the other Vapers I've tried, C&D blends Bayou Morning (both flake and ribbon) and Three Friars.

I would actually prefer this to Escudo, simply because I have grown tired of Perique heavy tobaccos. In bulk, this is a great deal. I highly recommend it.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

In reference to my review notes, it would seem that I found this offering "middle of the road". Untrue. I rather enjoy 2015. I only smoke a handfull of the McLellands offerings due to being highly susceptible to tongue bite from their particular way of handling of virginia. That being said, 2015 is a refreshingly unvolatile va/dash- of- perique broken flake that behaves well and rewards gentler puffing. There is some humectant agent applied as the tabak will stay quite damp even during a dust storm, but I do not find it offensive in flavor or burning characteristic. Lightup is straightforward and the resulting smoke is satisfying. I am not a proponent of DGT(I smoke when I fill a pipe) and as such cannot say whether the flavors improve with such treatment or collapse. In all, a good smoke, though not so economical in Canada.