This is a blend of Eastern and Middle Belt lemon, orange, and orange-red Virginias. A sweet, smooth, and zesty smoke.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

This is actually pretty good for what it is. pipesandcigars.com was so kind as to send me a half pound with a Jeppesen pipe purchase for me to puff on. It is exactly as others described so far as the flavor only hitting the highest end of the spectrum and in a very light way. I smoked this after drying and rubbing and I would advise at least drying. Beginners might think it is plain tasting but there are nuances and hints in the flavor that vets will appreciate. However the flavor does not build or change much at all. Could be boring to some. I do not sense red va flavor, just very mild orange and yellows.

This smoked extremely well and dry for me in a couple different pipes and was mild enough to keep me wanting more. It requires minimal relights and is one of only a few tobacco's that will smoke dry all the way to the finish. So while it may be very ok for a all day smoke it is not going to give you a rich satisfying flavor. I think this makes cake VERY fast for a va flake, making it an excellent new pipe break in tobacco.

I disagree with a previous review that it is like the christmas cheer. Not true in my case- this is much lighter and nowhere as sweet or rich. How that reviewer figured that eludes me at the moment, perhaps mine will develop flavor with age?

The nicotine level was much higher than I expected and it hit me about 15 minutes before the bowl was done. It will not floor you but had more umph than I expected as mild as the flavor is.

The pouch aroma on this is very nice, much like a good fresh bag of brown sugar would smell-only better. The ketchup odor was very hard to detect and very subdued on this one. It has more of tobacco smell. It rubs pretty easily and smokes even easier. I found a breath smoke technique works well. In fact this was very much one that likes to be sipped constantly with a few breaks occasionally as it warms up. Very easy to smoke. Not nippy at all- this one gives you plenty warning when to slow down and smooths right back out.

I will be keeping some of this around and will age some, although I am curious if much age would cut the twang down which is so fitting and controlled in this blend- it could use a little smoothing and I suspect at least a couple months age will make a nice soft smoke. I will be sampling and reviewing more of the Mcclelland bulks as this one is fantastic. I just finished a bowl and could go for another real soon. Thats a good thing when you get tired of having to wait a while for your palatte to refresh after smoking it up all day on stronger blends.

Mcclelland must have simillar tastes to mine as I love most of their bulks and tins. You can pick almost anything they make and find something you like about it.

For an all day smoker this one is great, It leans more towards a cigarettish like smoke I think but in a good way. I like it for the fact it is about as simple and straight forward as flakes get. Also it leaves my mouth in shape for whatever I want to smoke in the evening. Try some just know what it is.

This could be a good blender as well. Update: I aged some for a year and it turned into something very close to christmas cheer. I was very surprised when I opened the jar. Wow it is so much more flavorful now, I see where other reviewers found it this way now.

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)

This is a very good straight virginia broken flake tobacco. It is comprised of moist dense chunks of brown flake and requires some amount of rubbing out and possibly some subsequent drying to prepare it for smoking.

The flavor characteristics tend towards the citrusy and fruit like tastes often found in virginia tobaccos, although I did not find it overly tangy. This blend seemes less sweet than many other virginias although it does have a small amount of sweetness present. Overall the flavor is right in line with what I like from a straight virginia. This blend doesn't seem nearly as bitey as other virginia tobaccos that I have tried, but it provides a good solid flavor nevertheless. It's tasty enough to keep you reaching for more and mild enough that you can keep doing so.

This, along with 2035, are my favorite bulk McClellands that I have tried so far. I prefer 2010 over 2015 personally because I think that 2010 is a bit more flavorfull (although somewhat more bitey also). All in all, 2010 is a highly enjoyable virginia flake and the bulk pricing is just icing on the cake.

I filled up a couple small jars to cellar and intend on getting more of this excellent tobacco. If you're trying out virginia tobaccos then get some of this to try for sure.

UPDATE 1: I just cracked open one of the small jars and am enjoying the first bowl from it. It was aged about 6 months and it is very tasty.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This flake is the standard by which I judge most Virginias. 2010 has a nice, sweet taste without the addition of a topping, it ages with excellence, like a fine Virginia should, and it only gets better as you work your way down to the bottom of a bowl. I assume this would be an excellent candidate for your DGT effect, though I must admit I am too impatient to bother with the experiment.

I've had some distasteful reactions with other McClelland blends, notably, 2035 and 2025, the former for what I believed to be a lack of taste, and the latter for its incessant tendency to bite. I'm also not much a fan of that vinegary smell that appears to be an intimate part of any McClelland blend. Though I found it a novelty at first, my approval quickly waned to something approaching a mild distaste. You'll find that stench here, but the fine qualities of 2010 quickly outshine any previous apprehensions I initially feared when first sampling this blend.

This is pure Virginia goodness, people. It's not too strong, and not too weak, but just enough to give you a taste of how great the old standard can compare to your English and aromatic blends. You'll get great billows of smoke here for a valued cost. Give this a try. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 4.0

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)

This is my first experience with 2010. I have previously smoked a tin of McClelland #22, to which 2010 is often and favorably compared. I enjoyed #22 very much and on the strength of that experience purchased a pound of 2010.

Virginias and Virginia/Perique blends are my personal favorite tobacco genre. 2010 yeilds an excellent smoking experience and with the price is now one of my top two, alongside 2015.

There is not the Perique component. And the Lemon Virginia adds a lightness that 2015 does not possess. It arrived a little more moist than I prefer, but that is easily remedied. I have found no stems or stem shards. It is a quality tobacco. One or two matches gets me through a full bowl.

It burns well, tastes good on my palate and I find the scent of natural tobacco smoke that it produces pleasant to my nose. I have had little problem with "gurgle" despite the moisture level.

It is a Virginia and I have to smoke it slowly, or it will begin to warm my tongue. This is also similar to the new Bufflehead Virginia Ruddy Duck. I also smoke Stokebyes Luxury Navy Flake and enjoy it. But I naturally gravitate to 2015 and now 2010.

With three sons in college I have to watch my dollars and so rarely purchase tinned tobaccos. And I see little need to. My 5# of 2015 only gets better with age. I expect the same will be true of 2010. This is a winner for me and I intend to buy more when this pound is exhausted. When the kids are on their own, perhaps I will be more adventuresome and indulge in more tinned varieties. Aaahh, the possibilities!

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (15)

McClelland's Classic Virginia is a good Virginia tobacco but not a great one. It has decent Virginia flavor and lots of sweetness but is rather one dimensional. For as sweet a tobacco as this is, it has surprisingly little bite. For someone who wanted to progress from drugstore aromatics to something more sophisticated, Classic Virginia would therefore be a good tobacco to start with.

As others have noted, Classic Virginia takes a fair amount of work to smoke. As purchased, it is quite moist and therefore benefits greatly from airing out for a day or so. The broken flakes are difficult to light so one might wish to rub it out. However, you will get the best flavor if you leave it in flakes and use a bit of easily lit tobacco as tinder to fire it.

Sold only in bulk, Classic Virginia is modestly priced. However, for the same money one can smoke better McClelland straight Virginias like Red Cake and Dark Navy Flake.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

nice pungent odor, nice dark looking broken flake, I rub mine out and smoke it as is, and some times let it dry, both with very good results, dried a bit might have a tad more hay like sweetness

Pipe Used: Castello Sea rock

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

Similar Blends: McClellands Christmas Cheer.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

This may seem very odd to you good citizens of the USA, who make up the majority here. But for a Brit like me this is as exotic as St. Bruno must be to you!

The simple fact is that this is not available over here, at least not through any regular channels. So I am indebted to a good pipe friend for providing me with a sample to enjoy. And oh, what an enjoyment it was!

The rough ribbon cut and high moisture level put me very much in mind of the kind of thing one expects from the likes of Samuel Gawith. And then that "ketchup" thing which I have read about so much and been so intrigued by. Yes, it's there, straight in your face, wow! But in a good way.

Getting down to the business of smoking, well, how good is this stuff? Flavoursome, easy, totally Virginia and yet with that added tang.

I believe you guys can get this stuff by the truckload for a fraction of what we pay for small tins back in the UK, you don't know how lucky you are.

All gone now and unlikely to be repeated any time soon, sigh.

Highly recommended.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first got my sample of bulk about a month ago, it was damp but still very smokeable. My first pipes were somewhat hot and bit some. As this dried and I could keep it lit at a smolder, this turned into a good smoke and without the heat. It could use some time in the cellar. I agree with reviewer "Virginia Lover, 07/09/2010".

A nice straight-forward VA. The broken flake is easy to deal with and burns nicely. No complexity. If that's what you are looking for, this deserves a chance.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 5

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 42

Rated Percentage = 70%

Comment = Smooth, * Ketchup Pouch Note, Good Flavor, lots of BTU's needed to ignite

* Foot Note: McClelland famous "Ketchup" aroma and / or taste comes from the natural fermentation of unstoved / non flue curded Virginias that are aged in cakes.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

I like just about every VA from McClellnd, and this is no exception. The pouch aroma is that sour Mc Va, which I absolutely love. Of all the bulk offerings from McClelland, this is by far the easiest to rub out. Also packs well, without a lot of springiness some can have. Lights fairly well, can use a few minutes dry time after it is rubbed out. Has a very bright flavor, and a pleasant toast-like room note.

This stuff still wouldn't bite even if you lit it on your tongue. Very mild mannered, I'd even recommend for a newer Va flake smoker. A very predictable blend, and one I will keep stocked in my cellar

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (17)

I'll give this one three stars. It isn't one that I will feel I must keep in my collection, but it was pleasant. It had little to no bite. Of forty reviewers prior to me, most (18) have given it a three-star rating. But, twelve have given it four stars, so it does have its adherents.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Good solid Va. Agree with comments regarding it being somewhat similar to Xmas cheer. Just not as fruity or quite as good. Still an easy smoke though.

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)

My enjoyment of this blend was not unexpected, as I typically appreciate anything touch by McClelland. That said, the comparisons to McClelland VA No. 22 caused a bit of hesitancy as it's my least favorite of their VA's.

I had a 1/2 pound of this sealed in 2oz tins by the Bufflehead shop in 2004, and am now working through my second tin. Visual: A dark brown flake, with some yellow and gold streaks throughout. My tin contained mainly broken flake, no full "sheets". I also noted a few substantial stem sections. Unusual for McClelland...

Texture: Less moist upon opening than what I often experience with this company. Probably as it was a tinned bulk blend.

Pack/Pipe: I smoke this fully rubbed out and paper dryed. Gravity fed with a half-hearted Frank Method bunch pressed on top into a number of my VA pipes. (Peterson Billiard, Moretti freehand & others, all having a typically narrow tobacco chamber). No problems smoking this to bottom of the bowl with no to minimal relights and two pipe cleaners to catch moisture.

Lighting/Burn: Two matches to char, one to light. Burns slowly to bottom and leaves a white/grey ash with a few bits of charred tobacco. Really generates some heat in the bowl. Not a problem, just noted.

1st 3rd: The citrus component of this tobacco is just spectacular! Sharpening the taste buds and ecouraging frequent puffs. I tamp this a bit more often than others to keep up the consistent burn.

2nd 3rd: Smoke becomes a little cooler here but maintains citrusy zest. No real depth, and none expected. Needed a pipe cleaner to catch heel moisture. More tart than sweet for sure.

Final 3rd: Loses just a bit of tang here. No pronounced ashiness, and still producing a bit of moisture in the heel.

Notes: Glad that this has not lost it's pronounced tang with 7 years in the tin. Like all McClelland flakes, fantastic quality. If you enjoy the citrus element of Lemon & Orange Virginia varietals - this will deliver by the ton.

Stogie rating of: 7 Heavenly Hoyos

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

Initial impressions are that this is a fine Virginia, medium in tone, with lots of brown VA giving it a bit of a caramel taste. I don't get tongue bite, but it does sensitize the roof of my mouth, so I wouldn't be able to smoke multiple bowls of this in one sitting. Great flavor, but definitely a one bowl per day type deal for me because of the mouth sensitivity.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (96)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Nice light smoke with a decent amount of flavor. No casing detected and the ketchup smelling preservative is mild. Zesty, tangy yet smooth and slightly sweet, to be enjoyed slowly as it tends to bite with fast puffing.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am reviewing a one pound bag that I purchased ten years ago. When I first smoked this blend, it was sour, and had the McClelland Ketchup tang to it that I find present in many of the MC brands. I left this tobacco alone for a while, and came back five years later. It had lost the ketchup flavour and had smoothed out some, but something was missing. I put the tobacco into a large earthern ware crock and added very Good Rum. I let the rum evaporate, and did it again. I put the tobacco back into storage for another 5 years. This spring I took it out to try. I wish I had made 5 tons of this blend because it is just that good now. Burns cool, slightly sweet, excllent mellow Virginia flavour. I would call it tame, mature and a little sweet.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (75)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

when I bought a pound of this about a year ago I smoked some and jarred the rest...14th June 2008 as it happened. My initial thoughts were that this was a rather ragged, sharp and hot smoke and I was a bit dissappointed to be honest. However a couple of days ago I opened a jar (I mature my tobacco in small 4 ounce jars which I find much better than 8 ounce)and the scent had grown deeper, richer and far more rounded in that year of maturation. Now it still demands gentle smoking and concentration but the rewards are a rich sweet taste...very very very pleasant. You can tell the absence of red virginia but the lemon and orange are truly delightful. This with at least a year on it is highly recommended.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

In my "never ending journey" down the Virginia super hiway I decided to stop at the 2010 McCelland Rd. A pleasant stop it is. I have sampled, and reviewed several of McC. bulk blends lately. All have been good/great. 2010 comes as a broken flake.......mostly brown, some golden/red. As with most Mc blend, I find that drying, and fully rubbing out this blend benifits it greatly. Flavor is semi-sweet, mild, and yes.....zesty. This may not be my #1 choice, but it is amoung many that I like. Will it get better with age..probably. I have enough faith that it will. that I will be cellaring some. At this price I don'y beleave that I can go wrong. For now I rate This at *

Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This flake came to me via one of the websites in bulk, the site escapes me...well they delivered quickly and the booty was in great shape.

I found this flake to be slightly wet, no big deal, and slightly broken. After breaking it up a bit more and drying it for about an hour, I found it packed and lit well. Medium volume of smoke while sipping this flake.

Basically this is an unremarkable flake. Very mild and forward in its mildness/blandness. Recently I have been smoking heavily stoked latakia blends as well as stronger VAs. There is the typical VA flavor, but it simply is not strong enough to really affect my palate. I would have thought this was because my palate has been so inundated by the English and Balkan blends I typically smoke, but in comparison to Dunhill's light flake this is a loser for me.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

"2010 Classic Virginia"

The name says it all, it certainly is a classic VA done just the way I like it. Somehow the folks at McClelland must have a palate very similar to mine because I like virtually every blend of theirs I try to varying degrees.

This VA has all the class of their Christmas Cheer series of which I am a huge fan. If you like CC, you'll like this.

VA depth and creaminess with the classic light citrus tang.

Aging? I'm sure it has been pre-aged by McClelland and I doubt I will be able to age any right now - I'm gonna smoke up my 4oz and order more. But, for those into aging, I'm sure it will age wonderfully as most all Quality VA flakes do.

No bite. If you make this one bite, you've really accomplished something.

Highly recommended.

4 stars ()-()-()-()

Good Draw to You, Cheers,

Glorfindel

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

With a pouch aroma of this broken flake exhibits a typically fermented scent.

The flavor runs from gold to red virginias with orange in between. It starts off sharp, but smoothes out a bit as the bowl runs out.

Fresh from the blender, this is a flavorsome, if simple, flake.

Chamber Gauge: Narrow

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Like several others in here, I've noticed that 2010 improves with a bit of aging. Even a few weeks will improve this one.

My sample arrived as very thick, broken flakes. The flakes are a tough rub out but the best smoke seems to come by stuffing some chunks into the bowl.

This is a nice, mild, sweet smoke. Nothing earth shaking but a pleasant enough virginia experience at a bargain price. Could be an all day smoker for the budget minded mild virginia fan.

2010 might also be a good blending virginia if you want to work hard enough to break it up.

designwise1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
designwise1 (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A fellow smoker sent me a 1 ounce sample that is a couple of years old. I'm used to latakia blends but I do smoke an occasional Va. This one is very good. Pleasant taste and smell. I didn't rub it out -- just packed the bowl and lit it up. It did take a couple of tries to remain lit but then it stayed lit throughout. I will probably purchase some more when I smoke up the rest of my sample.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)

While this is not my favorite McClelland, I like it pretty well. Sometimes, I find that just stuffing it into a pipe without much concern does best, although I've tried rubbing it and drying it as well. Nice flavors, nice strength, nice natural tobacco. I can't complain, especially for the price.

update::: just smoked the last bowl, and decided that this is really better than I thought, though I'll leave my rating as is. Detected a little onion powder and soy sauce after thinking about it a little, around midbowl. This will have you wondering whether you're eating dim sum or smoking a pipe at times, but the tobacco won't leave you hanging.

Tin Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Man (14)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a good light virginia. As with all McClellands I've tried, it needs airing and rubbing to avoid being harsh and wet. For me, 48hrs was about right.

This tobacco has a wonderful presentation: beautiful pale and dark brown flakes, very thick but easy to rub. The smell is classic Virginia: sweet, slightly pungent with just a touch of McClelland "ketchup". After having rubbes the flakes the packing and lighting are easy and the burning proceeds without any problem. Pay attention to smoke it slowly, because it can easy become hot and moist. As expected, this tobacco doesn't deliver a great amount of flavour but it keeps consistent throughout the bowl: it's a really classic Virginia, sweet, tangy, a little cigarettish. Neither too good nor too bad, just too simple to reach a top score.

vmalloc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vmalloc (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A straight up virginia flake, and damned good at it. It's called a classic virginia; I'm not sure in regards to what, but I like to picture some of the founding fathers taking up a pipe to smoke something not a whole lot different than this. And hey, I'm a Libertarian, so I can tell you those guys knew their stuff. ;)

Virginias were of course the first type of tobacco, and if you ask me, McClelland has successfully made them the best. This is a no-nonsense rich, meaty smoke with no crap to get in the way of the excellent tobacco. Doesn't bite as much as some virginias I've seen, even other McC blends, but of course it still bites a bit (not as much as my friend's fire hot sauce: take it like a MAN!). I seem to favor the lemon virginias a little more, but this and Nightcap bulk are turning into my staple smokes. Unless I see something I really want to try, I might never buy a tin again! Four stars.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)

I'm a big fan of flakes and an even bigger fan of Virginias, but I've got to say that for some reason this tobacco doesn't agree with me. The flake rubs out well and the smell of the tobacco is great, but the taste while smoking seems ashy to me and there is a definite aftertaste that stays with you for a long while. I really want to like this tobacco and have gone back with different pipes on different days, but nothing seems to have done the trick. I find I have to force myself to finish the pipe and when I do I wish I had been smoking something else. Perhaps I just got a bad batch and I will probably go back and buy more from a different batch, but for now my introduction to 2010 has not been a positive one.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

Along with McClelland 2015, this is the best tobacco for the money. But, it's not cheap tobacco; it's high quality VA broken flake that never fails to satisfy. I buy it in 5 lb. bulk and age it in Mason jars. I just never seem to tire of this wonderful tobacco. I like it much better than its cousin, #22.

I really like the citrus tang that complements the sweetness. It starts out light and builds as the bowl progresses. I find it pretty complex, not in a Haddo's way, but in a straight VA manner. It requires a slow "breath smoking" method to pick up on the subtle flavors. This is probably not a VA for newbies, but one for experienced slow smokers. It could easily be an all day smoke.

I recommend that you smoke the broken flakes whole, without rubbing them out. Also, put some up in Mason jars and come back in about a year.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

UPDATE NOTE: To date, this tobacco has four "favorite" ratings and two "not my cup of tea" ratings. Conclusion? You will love it or really dislike it, but the odds are 2 to 1 in its favor. A great tobacco!

2010 (bulk) is very close to McClelland #22 (tin). It's naturally high sugar content could sting the heavy puffer, but for those with good Virginia technique it is a joy. A zesty, almost refreshing blend, the sweet, lemony high range develops and richens throughout the smoke. The mid-range features a lovely toasted marshmallow/caramel character, with a light creaminess that works well with the top range. The bass flavors are more of an extension of the mid-range elements, but tend towards light brown sugar as the bowl burns down. The flavor develops and gets better as you go, and it is with regret that I bid the final wisp of smoke goodbye.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

Hey, this is some tasty pipeweed. If you like your Virginias on the citrus end of the specturm, the orange and spice in this blend will knock you out. The weed smokes fine as is out of the bag, but some may prefer to give it a good rub and some air time as well. Either way, it smokes clean with no dottle. The standard Virginia bite warnings apply. The taste remains fairly constant, with some intensifying at the end, but mostly it's a straightforward toasty-sweet orangey-citrusy blast from start to finish. If you want complexity and refinement, try #27. If you want something to whap into the old pouch for the long day ahead, this should do the trick. Hard to beat this kind of quality and flavour at this price!

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)

The very definition of "an honest Virginia." I prefer this to its more expensive sibling, McClelland's #22, probably the tobacco it most closely resembles. It is more robust, sweeter, and more consistent (though less subtle and varied) than #22. Almost as good as Blackwoods Flake -- which at bulk rates makes this an incredible bargain. Not as smooth As Blackwoods, nor as sharp as their recent Christmas Cheers, 2010 is a great "baseline" VA against which others can be judged.

It comes in a broken-flake form and, as with most McClelland flakes, it does not rub out easily. So unless you like your flake on the "chunky" side (as I do) a little extra work is required. As with all McClelland VA's, it requires careful smoking.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Mild Strong

2010 is a beautifully cut broken flake that smokes exceptionally well with almost no bite. Unfortunately, it has a strange bitter taste and aftertaste that I find unpleasant after a few bowls. Too bad. This one coulda beena contenduh.

Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

A nice brown/yellow flake that has been partially rubbed out. Moisture content is just right for easy packing and a long smoke without relights. This one is straight VA. Beyond my wife's complaining about the room aroma, I just didn't enjoy the taste and the lingering aftertaste. One dimensional and very flat in all bowl sizes and various pipes. In addition, although I experienced no bite by puffing very slowly, after several pipes my mouth felt extremely dry. McClelland has other blends in their line that I enjoy much more.

Padraig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Padraig (10)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

A nice switch from my normal Latikia's. This beautifully blended tobacco has a wonderful Virginia flavor, well blended, with a hint cedar. I filled an old Savinelli and tapped it lightly. After the initial match, I relit the tobacco and it stayed with me for over an hour as I drove a mountain road.

Now, maybe it was the beautiful morning, or the pines glowing in the morning light, but this was a really fine smoke. It burned perfectly, not too hot, with very little tounge bite. I will smoke this regularly, especially when I get into a non-English mood.

Tobaccos like this (and a few of their others) lead me to believe that McClelland really is one of the very best blenders in the world.

canadianpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canadianpipesmoker (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am very new to english tobaccos this being my first actually. I see that a lot of experienced smokers really don't like this, but I really do! I find it to be mild and a nice transition from aromatics. I would recommend this to people who want to try an english blend.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is the first McClelland VA to disappoint me. Just can't get any noticeable flavor out of the blend. Tried it in my usual VA pipes (3/4" bore), larger bores, & smaller. Not tried it in a meer, that will be next. Dried, not dried, rubbed out, broken flake, folded, no difference. It's just too light, and I find my self smoking faster witch makes it hot attempting to squeeze out any flavor. Maybe some 5100 will perk it up? I've not cracked the code or it just doesn't work, either way, 1 1/2 stars to date.

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)

I have tried several McClelland blends and have liked them all until this one. It's not the worst tobacco I've ever had but it was the worst McClelland blend I've ever had. This was truly a disappointment.

It has a nice citrus tanginess to it and there is no tongue bite.

The taste was, well, bad.

I'm glad I only bought 2 oz. of this. I truly gave this blend a chance by aging it and smoking the 2 oz. stretched out over a considerable time. I will not be buying any more of this blend.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (5)

I dried a bit of this tobacco for almost an hour before smoking it. I could taste the sweet taste of the Virginias but there just wasn't enough of it to satisfy me. There was little body and volume to the smoke. If there were "light" versions of pipe tobacco, like there are light beers and light cigarettes, then this blend would be a light Virginia.

Ghosthunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghosthunter (8)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is my every day smoke...the flakes prevent it from drying out as quick. I love the way it stinks. Crumble it up...stuff it in...toast it...take a long sip of hot coffee and fire that bad boy up.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been working my way through a a 2 oz. sample of this over the past couple years. as other have noted below, it gets better with age. It has a nice spice to it that reminds me a bit of Perique. Tasty stuff but has a tendency to bite even if dried.

Wonderful flavor and typical ketchup aroma a la McClelland for this top quality virginia flake. this is one of my favorite McClelland virginia blend along with red cake and BWF.

No one can make virginia like McClelland. its unique and original.

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)

Just a few words to add to previous reviews. The trick with this one is to age it for a year at least. At this point it is transformed from something rather bland into a sweet, tasty and truly enjoyable flake in the McClelland tradition. Wonderful stuff!

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Shallow! This is the first Virginia I have ever had, that had absolutely no body. I kept expecting the fullness of flavors from a normal Va. but they never appeared. I did get a cool, crisp upper note with a pleasant taste. But I was so distracted by the lack of depth I was unable to really enjoy this tobacco.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

If you are looking for a decent bulk Virginia, that's on the mild side, here is the ticket. The price is nice too. It doesn't have enough character for me to spend too much time with it, but it is good.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a probably a pretty good virginia, with age. Straight from the supplier, it was very sharp and lacks a some depth. Not bad, just not ready. As is it's pretty far from 'classic'. I'll have to update this after aging some.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is a good quality Virginia, which leans much more to the lemon & golden end of the spectrum, rather than the orange-red end. It's too light for my tastes, but was less likely to bite than other light Virginias I've tried. I much prefer the fuller, sweeter flavor of their 5100 Red Cake. When I'm in the mood for a light Virginia, I greatly prefer Mac Baren's Virginia #1 or Virginia Flake.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very nice straight forward virginia. Typical McClelland aroma due to their fermentation process. 2010 ages very nicely and quickly, so I recommend putting some aside for a few months or more. The aging brings out a sweeter fuller smoke; the "new" stuff is a little weak. Also, allowing the batch to air seems to make a difference. Mixing some perique produces some great Cajun Half-n-Half.

aj

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)

This virginia seems coarse and unrefined. It's hot and edgy, but it does have flavor.

I much prefer the Heart Virginia at pipesandcigars.com or Peterson's University Flake but this tobacco isn't bad.

It has a unique taste and I appreciate the citrusy near-oriental after-smack.

Slow-smoke it though; it's got some teeth.

Images evoked by smoking it are that of a goblin plucking his teeth with the femur of a slain teenaged fawn.

mdnghtramblr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnghtramblr (7)

This is my first shot at a straight VA blend, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had massive trouble keeping it lit, which frustrated me because I was so enjoying the smoke! Still, once rubbed out and allowed a little extra time to dry a bit, this blend is gonna be great I can tell. Sweet without being cloying, and also without the use of casings. Natural tobacco as I think natural tobacco should probably taste in this kind of a blend. I am looking forward to future smokes with this one.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Classic Virgina - the name sums it up. 2010 is a straight-forward, no frills affair, I like it when I'm in the mood for a VA that doesn't demand too much attention. Nothing spectacular but an entirely decent smoke. It's got a simple, earthy taste that is pretty enjoyable. Yep, tastes like Virgina leaf. Like many McClelland bulk blends, its a good smoke for the price.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

I'm working my way through a quarter pound of this delightful, straightforward Virginia and enjoying every puff. For me, a straight V is something I like for a couple or three bowls a week, mainly when I'm relaxing in front of the TV in the evening. 2010 fills that need perfectly.

I like to take a generous pinch of the broken flake and rub it out vigorously and thoroughly until it's literally in ribbons and load it into my big 30-year old Ben Wade freehand. A two-match lightup, and I'm good for nearly an hour of pure enjoyment.

In the pouch, the aroma is not ketchupy like some of the other McC blends, more herbal and citrus-y. On first light, it's quite mild, but with a fine assortment of flavors. A little spicy, a little zesty, a little herbal. By about a third of the way through the taste becomes more robust, the flavor more uniform, but also just a little ashy. I particularly like it's very low tendancy to bite. It finishes softly, leaving me looking forward to my next round.

I highly recommend it, especially to those beginners who have not yet savored the delicate flavors of a pure Virginia.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I like this tobacco but cannot figure it out. I keep tasting deer tounge in this blend. Maybe my taste buds have fliped but I do sense there is more to this tobacco than Virginia leaf. Other than that it comes in very thick dark, almost gray flakes. It rubs out well,but I recomend rubing only lightly. The room aroma will run most everyone but a pipe smoker away,as this has a cigarette acrid, and cigar-y aroma. The Virginia is creamy at times,and the other componet is well, weird but good.

Update; What I thought was Deer Tounge,is only the zesty taste of the lemon leaf. So rest assured there is no deer tounge here,only exceptional high quality Virginia leaf. I have never seen a Virginia flake burn so well either.

SlowDraw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SlowDraw (23)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I should of tried this earlier, this seems like a "2 stroke " version of 22, similar but without the basso woodsy notes of same. Actually its smoother & a little more McC fruity as well. great caramel room aroma. Unrubbed , small-bowled slow-smoking seems best for it.

I have found over the years that I really struggle with McClelland's Virginia blends. Must be a body chemistry thing. 2010 is a prime example as some of the above reviewers love it while others will never load up another bowlful.

I fall into the latter category. This straight Virginia has a very "different" aftertaste. It also had a citrus type flavor while smoking that I found to be tart rather than sweet. Not much punch either. Nice room note though.

Finally, life's too short to cellar any of this stuff in the hopes that it'll get better with age.