This is a blend of Eastern and Middle Belt lemon, orange, and orange-red Virginias. A sweet, smooth, and zesty smoke.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

2.9
Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

This may seem very odd to you good citizens of the USA, who make up the majority here. But for a Brit like me this is as exotic as St. Bruno must be to you!

The simple fact is that this is not available over here, at least not through any regular channels. So I am indebted to a good pipe friend for providing me with a sample to enjoy. And oh, what an enjoyment it was!

The rough ribbon cut and high moisture level put me very much in mind of the kind of thing one expects from the likes of Samuel Gawith. And then that "ketchup" thing which I have read about so much and been so intrigued by. Yes, it's there, straight in your face, wow! But in a good way.

Getting down to the business of smoking, well, how good is this stuff? Flavoursome, easy, totally Virginia and yet with that added tang.

I believe you guys can get this stuff by the truckload for a fraction of what we pay for small tins back in the UK, you don't know how lucky you are.

All gone now and unlikely to be repeated any time soon, sigh.

Highly recommended.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)

McClelland's Classic Virginia is a good Virginia tobacco but not a great one. It has decent Virginia flavor and lots of sweetness but is rather one dimensional. For as sweet a tobacco as this is, it has surprisingly little bite. For someone who wanted to progress from drugstore aromatics to something more sophisticated, Classic Virginia would therefore be a good tobacco to start with.

As others have noted, Classic Virginia takes a fair amount of work to smoke. As purchased, it is quite moist and therefore benefits greatly from airing out for a day or so. The broken flakes are difficult to light so one might wish to rub it out. However, you will get the best flavor if you leave it in flakes and use a bit of easily lit tobacco as tinder to fire it.

Sold only in bulk, Classic Virginia is modestly priced. However, for the same money one can smoke better McClelland straight Virginias like Red Cake and Dark Navy Flake.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

This is actually pretty good for what it is. pipesandcigars.com was so kind as to send me a half pound with a Jeppesen pipe purchase for me to puff on. It is exactly as others described so far as the flavor only hitting the highest end of the spectrum and in a very light way. I smoked this after drying and rubbing and I would advise at least drying. Beginners might think it is plain tasting but there are nuances and hints in the flavor that vets will appreciate. However the flavor does not build or change much at all. Could be boring to some. I do not sense red va flavor, just very mild orange and yellows.

This smoked extremely well and dry for me in a couple different pipes and was mild enough to keep me wanting more. It requires minimal relights and is one of only a few tobacco's that will smoke dry all the way to the finish. So while it may be very ok for a all day smoke it is not going to give you a rich satisfying flavor. I think this makes cake VERY fast for a va flake, making it an excellent new pipe break in tobacco.

I disagree with a previous review that it is like the christmas cheer. Not true in my case- this is much lighter and nowhere as sweet or rich. How that reviewer figured that eludes me at the moment, perhaps mine will develop flavor with age?

The nicotine level was much higher than I expected and it hit me about 15 minutes before the bowl was done. It will not floor you but had more umph than I expected as mild as the flavor is.

The pouch aroma on this is very nice, much like a good fresh bag of brown sugar would smell-only better. The ketchup odor was very hard to detect and very subdued on this one. It has more of tobacco smell. It rubs pretty easily and smokes even easier. I found a breath smoke technique works well. In fact this was very much one that likes to be sipped constantly with a few breaks occasionally as it warms up. Very easy to smoke. Not nippy at all- this one gives you plenty warning when to slow down and smooths right back out.

I will be keeping some of this around and will age some, although I am curious if much age would cut the twang down which is so fitting and controlled in this blend- it could use a little smoothing and I suspect at least a couple months age will make a nice soft smoke. I will be sampling and reviewing more of the Mcclelland bulks as this one is fantastic. I just finished a bowl and could go for another real soon. Thats a good thing when you get tired of having to wait a while for your palatte to refresh after smoking it up all day on stronger blends.

Mcclelland must have simillar tastes to mine as I love most of their bulks and tins. You can pick almost anything they make and find something you like about it.

For an all day smoker this one is great, It leans more towards a cigarettish like smoke I think but in a good way. I like it for the fact it is about as simple and straight forward as flakes get. Also it leaves my mouth in shape for whatever I want to smoke in the evening. Try some just know what it is.

This could be a good blender as well. Update: I aged some for a year and it turned into something very close to christmas cheer. I was very surprised when I opened the jar. Wow it is so much more flavorful now, I see where other reviewers found it this way now.

In going thru my cellar, I found about half a pound of this and noted that for some reason I hadn't shared my thoughts on it here when I bought it a few years ago. Mottled broken flake and with age, much of the signature McClellands aroma that so vexes a lot of smokers was diminished. Dry this stuff out as you would any Virginia flake and most of it goes away anyway.

This is a Virginia blend and reaches all the higher notes of mild citrus behind the red's sweeping tang and orange's clean spiciness. As it's purported to be a less aged version of #22, this one with some age on it bridges whatever gaps there may be between the two. It's a nice smoke but not one of my favorites, as it lacks the dark spice of #25 and the huge depth of #24. But for the smoker that prefers more lighthearted fare, this fills the bill. It improves nicely with age and down each individual bowl. Sufficiently dried out before smoking, it flirts with several flavors and has moderate complexity with no wet steamy taste. A very serviceable Virginia. If you enjoy #5100 but want some extra joie de vivre (and in flake form), you are likely to love this one. Even so, it lacks the focus and depth of 5100, especially when the latter is aged. Tradeoffs abound in the tobacco world! Recommended as a nicely priced and fully acceptable Virginia broken flake.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This flake is the standard by which I judge most Virginias. 2010 has a nice, sweet taste without the addition of a topping, it ages with excellence, like a fine Virginia should, and it only gets better as you work your way down to the bottom of a bowl. I assume this would be an excellent candidate for your DGT effect, though I must admit I am too impatient to bother with the experiment.

I've had some distasteful reactions with other McClelland blends, notably, 2035 and 2025, the former for what I believed to be a lack of taste, and the latter for its incessant tendency to bite. I'm also not much a fan of that vinegary smell that appears to be an intimate part of any McClelland blend. Though I found it a novelty at first, my approval quickly waned to something approaching a mild distaste. You'll find that stench here, but the fine qualities of 2010 quickly outshine any previous apprehensions I initially feared when first sampling this blend.

This is pure Virginia goodness, people. It's not too strong, and not too weak, but just enough to give you a taste of how great the old standard can compare to your English and aromatic blends. You'll get great billows of smoke here for a valued cost. Give this a try. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 4.0

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

McClelland - No. 2010 Classic Virginia.

If you've ever wondered exactly what's meant when people describe the aroma from the McClelland blends as being ketchup-like, try a sniff of this! Even though the pouch-note could be considered slightly incongruous, I find it a very good blend.

The broken flake's are still quite wholesome so many folks would probably want to give them a further rub, but that's easy though, the moisture makes that a simple task. And then it gives a very satisfying smoke: to be fair, I get a deeper flavour than I'd expected, I'd prepared for a bit of a 'zest-fest', but this has more depth to it than just zest alone. There's a honey sweetness, with an almost caramel-esc smoothness. I do get a slight liveliness from the Virginia's, but whether that would fall under the caption of Zest (as per the current description), grass, hay, or lemon, would come down to personal predilection I guess! One of the great features of No. 2010 is the burn: it's stable, even, cool, and a pipe can be enjoyed from just one light for a very long period.

I don't recognise much nicotine from 2010, maybe not quite very mild but definitely no more than mild. And finally the room-note: very nice indeed.

This has a bit more character than a lot of straight Va's, and I have to highly recommend it:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Milverton

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

"2010 Classic Virginia"

The name says it all, it certainly is a classic VA done just the way I like it. Somehow the folks at McClelland must have a palate very similar to mine because I like virtually every blend of theirs I try to varying degrees.

This VA has all the class of their Christmas Cheer series of which I am a huge fan. If you like CC, you'll like this.

VA depth and creaminess with the classic light citrus tang.

Aging? I'm sure it has been pre-aged by McClelland and I doubt I will be able to age any right now - I'm gonna smoke up my 4oz and order more. But, for those into aging, I'm sure it will age wonderfully as most all Quality VA flakes do.

No bite. If you make this one bite, you've really accomplished something.

Highly recommended.

4 stars ()-()-()-()

Good Draw to You, Cheers,

Glorfindel

I have found over the years that I really struggle with McClelland's Virginia blends. Must be a body chemistry thing. 2010 is a prime example as some of the above reviewers love it while others will never load up another bowlful.

I fall into the latter category. This straight Virginia has a very "different" aftertaste. It also had a citrus type flavor while smoking that I found to be tart rather than sweet. Not much punch either. Nice room note though.

Finally, life's too short to cellar any of this stuff in the hopes that it'll get better with age.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first got my sample of bulk about a month ago, it was damp but still very smokeable. My first pipes were somewhat hot and bit some. As this dried and I could keep it lit at a smolder, this turned into a good smoke and without the heat. It could use some time in the cellar. I agree with reviewer "Virginia Lover, 07/09/2010".

Updated 12/29/2014- I just retried this blend after a year in the cellar, "wonderful". Naturally sweet, dark , zesty and no harshness. I'll be ordering more, reminds me of one of McC's better Christmas Cheer blends. The wait time in the cellar was worth it and I'm upping this to 4 stars.

BTW- I also blended this 50/50 with some "5100 Red Cake" and that's a winner also. I've been looking for a way to cut what I perceive as a touch of Lakeland Floral ( not a fan) in the 5100 , adding the "2010" did the trick.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: McC Christmas Cheer blend.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a bulk Virginia blend that is just as good as any of the McClelland tinned Virginias that I have tried. It's at the same time, light and bright with a bit of grass and a bit more dark, with earthy, fruity flavors. As stated previously, it is a bulk blend, but with this one (Along with 2015, 2025, and 2035) you won't really save much money as compared with the tins. However, it is well worth trying.

I actually bought about 6 ounces last June (2016) and forgot about it after placing it in a mason jar. I opened it in March and commenced smoking it. I smoked it every day for a while, but slowed down after I smoked about 2 ounces of it for fear of smoking it all. Now, it did have at least 9 or 10 months of age on it, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. I've found that it performs better for me with a bit of drying time. I've smoked it straight out of the jar, with a couple hours drying time and have even left it packed in a pipe overnight to smoke the following day. The couple hours of drying time seemed to work the best for me. I've also found that this tobacco favors medium-sized to larger bowls. At least for me.

I'm a fan of other of McClelland's bulk, especially No. 2025. And though I prefer the 2025 (I love the Xanthi in it), this is a close second. So, definitely buy some and jar it up for a while. I plan on buying at least a half pound more to jar up for myself and see what a year will do, then two years, then three. McClelland 2010 has definitely surprised me and become a blend that I look forward to smoking.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Flame Grain, Mark Tinsky Billiard

Age When Smoked: 9-10 Months

A nice straight-forward VA. The broken flake is easy to deal with and burns nicely. No complexity. If that's what you are looking for, this deserves a chance. It's not for me, however.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I like just about every VA from McClellnd, and this is no exception. The pouch aroma is that sour Mc Va, which I absolutely love. Of all the bulk offerings from McClelland, this is by far the easiest to rub out. Also packs well, without a lot of springiness some can have. Lights fairly well, can use a few minutes dry time after it is rubbed out. Has a very bright flavor, and a pleasant toast-like room note.

This stuff still wouldn't bite even if you lit it on your tongue. Very mild mannered, I'd even recommend for a newer Va flake smoker. A very predictable blend, and one I will keep stocked in my cellar

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)

My enjoyment of this blend was not unexpected, as I typically appreciate anything touch by McClelland. That said, the comparisons to McClelland VA No. 22 caused a bit of hesitancy as it's my least favorite of their VA's.

I had a 1/2 pound of this sealed in 2oz tins by the Bufflehead shop in 2004, and am now working through my second tin. Visual: A dark brown flake, with some yellow and gold streaks throughout. My tin contained mainly broken flake, no full "sheets". I also noted a few substantial stem sections. Unusual for McClelland...

Texture: Less moist upon opening than what I often experience with this company. Probably as it was a tinned bulk blend.

Pack/Pipe: I smoke this fully rubbed out and paper dryed. Gravity fed with a half-hearted Frank Method bunch pressed on top into a number of my VA pipes. (Peterson Billiard, Moretti freehand & others, all having a typically narrow tobacco chamber). No problems smoking this to bottom of the bowl with no to minimal relights and two pipe cleaners to catch moisture.

Lighting/Burn: Two matches to char, one to light. Burns slowly to bottom and leaves a white/grey ash with a few bits of charred tobacco. Really generates some heat in the bowl. Not a problem, just noted.

1st 3rd: The citrus component of this tobacco is just spectacular! Sharpening the taste buds and ecouraging frequent puffs. I tamp this a bit more often than others to keep up the consistent burn.

2nd 3rd: Smoke becomes a little cooler here but maintains citrusy zest. No real depth, and none expected. Needed a pipe cleaner to catch heel moisture. More tart than sweet for sure.

Final 3rd: Loses just a bit of tang here. No pronounced ashiness, and still producing a bit of moisture in the heel.

Notes: Glad that this has not lost it's pronounced tang with 7 years in the tin. Like all McClelland flakes, fantastic quality. If you enjoy the citrus element of Lemon & Orange Virginia varietals - this will deliver by the ton.

Stogie rating of: 7 Heavenly Hoyos

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Nice light smoke with a decent amount of flavor. No casing detected and the ketchup smelling preservative is mild. Zesty, tangy yet smooth and slightly sweet, to be enjoyed slowly as it tends to bite with fast puffing.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)

I have not try my CC, but I have a tin of Boston Peretti's Oxford flake and I find them really similar. Nicely formed intact and semi-broken flake with various virginia pressed, it smoke more young with an edge than in OF. Good all day stright VA. Though not complex or deep as FVF, but enough to satisfy my VA eager.

Sweet Leaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweet Leaf (8)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Had to let us try out for 24 hours but it was well worth the wait. This is an incredibly sweet Virginia and only gets better deeper into the bowl.

Pipe Used: MM cob / EA Carey magic inch

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Similar Blends: Hearth and home anniversary cake.

A very solid Virginia offering from the Virginia masters. I was given a generous sample of 2010 from a forum friend and immediately knew I would be reordering.

The Virginias are a bit rawer and less refined than the flagship tinned Virginias offered by McClelland, but still carry that taste that is unique to McClelland Va.'s. Call it ketchup or whatever you want; I like it. I found this to be a little lighter in that essence than those blends. I also found 2010 to be a little earthier. My sample consisted of about five bowls and I really enjoyed all of them.

Whether it be Blackwoods, Christmas Cheer or 27, I find it difficult to point too much difference between the varying McClelland straight Virginias. I find 2010 to differ more drastically from these and in a good way. I plan getting a pound of this to cellar as I bet that with some age, this will be out of this world.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A very mildly sweet and calmly caramelized flake. This can burn a little hot if you get too excited, but some vigorous puffing will leave your palate all the better since it brings forth a greater depth of body and flavor. Mostly though, this works best for me with light to moderate sipping. Classic McC aroma in bag and burning bowl while delivering a good amount of smoke to roll in your mouth and off the lips. Wonderful room note.

Michael N. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael N. (10)

I'm not as eloquent a writer, nor as experienced with straight Virginias as many of the previous judges. I'll just say YUMMY. I have been trying MANY Virginias this year, on a quest. This one STANDS OUT. Will make it into my regular 'rotation'. It tastes great, no bite, very sweet, very smokable, enjoyable, AND, no AFTER TASTE. I'll concede it is somewhat harder to light initially. Maybe it's me: I've tried all ways. But, IMHO, it is great all the way down afterward. I'd give it a #4 rating, but I'm STILL HUNTING for nirvana !

Pipe Used: Peterson, Caminetto, Ben Wade.

Age When Smoked: 3+ months

Purchased From: P&C, on net.

Similar Blends: a few others, but I'm not a pro.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

nice pungent odor, nice dark looking broken flake, I rub mine out and smoke it as is, and some times let it dry, both with very good results, dried a bit might have a tad more hay like sweetness

Pipe Used: Castello Sea rock

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

Similar Blends: McClellands Christmas Cheer.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (20)

I'll give this one three stars. It isn't one that I will feel I must keep in my collection, but it was pleasant. It had little to no bite. Of forty reviewers prior to me, most (18) have given it a three-star rating. But, twelve have given it four stars, so it does have its adherents.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Good solid Va. Agree with comments regarding it being somewhat similar to Xmas cheer. Just not as fruity or quite as good. Still an easy smoke though.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

A straight forward pressed Virginia broken flake that is sweet and soft. Sip slowly or it will nip at your tongue. A Very nice sweet Virginia that is sure to please. Also, please let this tobacco breath in the open bag for about a day before trying it out. No Perique here and no flavorings, just plain old good Virginia tobacco like the colonies produced. Update. 2010 is an excellent mixer with Low Country Cooper. 1 part 2010, 1 part Cooper.

Similar Blends: G and H Curley Cut Deluxe..

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

when I bought a pound of this about a year ago I smoked some and jarred the rest...14th June 2008 as it happened. My initial thoughts were that this was a rather ragged, sharp and hot smoke and I was a bit dissappointed to be honest. However a couple of days ago I opened a jar (I mature my tobacco in small 4 ounce jars which I find much better than 8 ounce)and the scent had grown deeper, richer and far more rounded in that year of maturation. Now it still demands gentle smoking and concentration but the rewards are a rich sweet taste...very very very pleasant. You can tell the absence of red virginia but the lemon and orange are truly delightful. This with at least a year on it is highly recommended.

Goose55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Goose55 (15)

2010 was one of the very first McClelland Virginia flake tobaccos I ever smoked back only a little over two years ago when I took up pipe smoking successfully due to the help I was afforded by online forums. Of all the 2 ounce samples of bulk McClelland I first got, this was one of a few that I liked, along with 5100 Red Cake, 5115 Old World Classic Cake and 2015 Virginia Perique. Soon afterwards I began to explore McCl's tinned Virginias and VaPers and I left the bulks in their 1/2 pint Kerr jars.

Now with the shock of McClelland suddenly closing shop I am glad I kept adding McCl bulk & tinned Virginias and VaPers to my cellar. I never did buy much 2010; only 1/2 pound. But here I am wondering about the lone jar of 2010 with 2 years of age on it; how it might blend with 5115 and or 5100. I also came to most cherish McCl's tinned straight Virginia, Aurora, but only have 19 tins, which will burn up before I know it. So I'm wondering how 2010 might blend with the Red Cake or 5115 Old World Classic Cake I have plenty of. I smoked a bowl of the 5115 last night for the first time since the 2 ounce sample (2 years ago) and it was very good. It reminded me of the soft creaminess of Aurora, but was not as sweet.

After the news of McCl's closing, I went through my cellar and found 2.25 pounds of 5100 Red Cake, 2 pounds of 5115 Old World Classic Cake, but only about 6 ounces of 2010 Classic Virginia, and boy has the lid puffed up in that lone jar, indicating some serious fermentation going on.

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

thebriarbear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thebriarbear (8)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This broken Virginia flake offers a good, fairly complex smoking experience filled with the world of the orange/red flue cured Virginias. This blend offers a natural sweetness that I would define as caramely, and is delicious. Upon working my way through the bowl, what I found was a zesty, musty, bready/toasty blend that only offered some brighter citrus notes every so often. This blend seems to sit right on the cusp of the orange-red divide with only a bit of yellow in there, and even gave me a bit of spiciness that was not unpleasant.

I was, in fact, a bit surprised with how dark this blend actually was, which is perfect for me as one who favors orange/red Virginias (à la McClelland 5100). This blend could probably benefit with age, as all Virginias would, that would make it a bit smoother. As always with McClelland, leave it dry for a bit longer, due to the way their blends retain moisture. I found this blend smoked and tasted the best fully rubbed out as well. Nicotine level is mild.

Overall, this is a good mild Virginia, especially for the price point and the fact that you can get this in bulk.

Pipe Used: Briar

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is not your regular virginia blend. After a few bowls, I am still trying to get my head around it. For starters, it is rich and dark, but not quite full-bodied. It has a slight tang to it, but it is not overtly sweet or zesty. Then, there is this mellow component going on in the background that comes and goes so difficult to describe. I cannot detect any perique, and yet it is somewhat peppery and full of flavour. Also, it is reminiscent of some oriental tobaccos. Call me "crazy" if you like. Having said that, I think these flakes will probably benefit from some cellaring time. I am not quite sure this particular tobacco would be my cup of tea, but I am finding the smoking experience so amazingly complex and entertaining that it's gonna get a gold sticker.

Edit 03 March 2018: After smoking 2oz of this tobacco I'd like to add the following: it is now that I begin to realize these are probably one of the best flake virginia tobaccos I have ever smoked in my whole entire life. Because the sui generis nature of it, I've never had anything quite like it, it has taken me for some time to realize this. Alas, McClelland is closing down, so in a manner of speaking, I feel sorry I've come across such good quality tobacco, for you can never miss something you never had.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 5

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 42

Rated Percentage = 70%

Comment = Smooth, * Ketchup Pouch Note, Good Flavor, lots of BTU's needed to ignite

* Foot Note: McClelland famous "Ketchup" aroma and / or taste comes from the natural fermentation of unstoved / non flue curded Virginias that are aged in cakes.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is the first McClelland VA to disappoint me. Just can't get any noticeable flavor out of the blend. Tried it in my usual VA pipes (3/4" bore), larger bores, & smaller. Not tried it in a meer, that will be next. Dried, not dried, rubbed out, broken flake, folded, no difference. It's just too light, and I find my self smoking faster witch makes it hot attempting to squeeze out any flavor. Maybe some 5100 will perk it up? I've not cracked the code or it just doesn't work, either way, 1 1/2 stars to date.

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)

I have tried several McClelland blends and have liked them all until this one. It's not the worst tobacco I've ever had but it was the worst McClelland blend I've ever had. This was truly a disappointment.

It has a nice citrus tanginess to it and there is no tongue bite.

The taste was, well, bad.

I'm glad I only bought 2 oz. of this. I truly gave this blend a chance by aging it and smoking the 2 oz. stretched out over a considerable time. I will not be buying any more of this blend.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)

I dried a bit of this tobacco for almost an hour before smoking it. I could taste the sweet taste of the Virginias but there just wasn't enough of it to satisfy me. There was little body and volume to the smoke. If there were "light" versions of pipe tobacco, like there are light beers and light cigarettes, then this blend would be a light Virginia.

Wonderful flavor and typical ketchup aroma a la McClelland for this top quality virginia flake. this is one of my favorite McClelland virginia blend along with red cake and BWF.

No one can make virginia like McClelland. its unique and original.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Shallow! This is the first Virginia I have ever had, that had absolutely no body. I kept expecting the fullness of flavors from a normal Va. but they never appeared. I did get a cool, crisp upper note with a pleasant taste. But I was so distracted by the lack of depth I was unable to really enjoy this tobacco.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

If you are looking for a decent bulk Virginia, that's on the mild side, here is the ticket. The price is nice too. It doesn't have enough character for me to spend too much time with it, but it is good.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (43)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is a good quality Virginia, which leans much more to the lemon & golden end of the spectrum, rather than the orange-red end. It's too light for my tastes, but was less likely to bite than other light Virginias I've tried. I much prefer the fuller, sweeter flavor of their 5100 Red Cake. When I'm in the mood for a light Virginia, I greatly prefer Mac Baren's Virginia #1 or Virginia Flake.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)

This virginia seems coarse and unrefined. It's hot and edgy, but it does have flavor.

I much prefer the Heart Virginia at pipesandcigars.com or Peterson's University Flake but this tobacco isn't bad.

It has a unique taste and I appreciate the citrusy near-oriental after-smack.

Slow-smoke it though; it's got some teeth.

Images evoked by smoking it are that of a goblin plucking his teeth with the femur of a slain teenaged fawn.

This tobacco has a wonderful presentation: beautiful pale and dark brown flakes, very thick but easy to rub. The smell is classic Virginia: sweet, slightly pungent with just a touch of McClelland "ketchup". After having rubbes the flakes the packing and lighting are easy and the burning proceeds without any problem. Pay attention to smoke it slowly, because it can easy become hot and moist. As expected, this tobacco doesn't deliver a great amount of flavour but it keeps consistent throughout the bowl: it's a really classic Virginia, sweet, tangy, a little cigarettish. Neither too good nor too bad, just too simple to reach a top score.

Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

A nice brown/yellow flake that has been partially rubbed out. Moisture content is just right for easy packing and a long smoke without relights. This one is straight VA. Beyond my wife's complaining about the room aroma, I just didn't enjoy the taste and the lingering aftertaste. One dimensional and very flat in all bowl sizes and various pipes. In addition, although I experienced no bite by puffing very slowly, after several pipes my mouth felt extremely dry. McClelland has other blends in their line that I enjoy much more.