This is a really distinctive tobacco that will enable you to satisfy and upgrade many aromatic smokers who have been sacrificing cleanness of burning to obtain a sweet aroma.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
FlavoringCream, Nougat, Other / Misc
Strength
Taste

3.2

Several Virginias were used in the processing of this broken flake, and the tobaccos offer a little citrus, lemon, and grass, some tangy dark fruit and stewed dark fruit with earth, and an ever present mild spice. The nougat is more obvious than I have encountered in many other blends, and is well complimented by a mild but rich sweet vanilla and cream. The nic-hit is just past the mild mark. The broken flakes tend to be a little dry in bulk, but there’s not much need to hydrate them. There’s not a lot of complexity present, but there’s enough between the harmonious marriage of toppings and tobaccos to hold your interest. Burns a little slow as flakes tend to do, but it’s a clean, moderately cool smoking with a zesty, tangy sweet consistent flavor that never weakens or gets harsh. It does need a slow puffing cadence because of the inherent spice note and a tendency to get a little hot - not harsh - on the tongue when smoked beyond a moderate rate. Requires some relights and I suggest loosely packing your bowl with it. Takes a little effort to burn it to ash, but it can be done much of the time. Doesn’t leave that much moisture in the bowl. The after taste pleasantly lingers. Not an overwhelming product in terms of strength, but it’s filling enough that you may find it’s not quite an all day smoke. Experienced smokers may differ.

Based on a sample of about an ounce, perhaps a bit less. This came pretty dry in the bag, which is how I prefer my McC broken flakes. The flakes were mostly very dark brown which look "overlaid" on the lighter brown rather than co-mingled. A result of the casing, perhaps?

The flavor was vanilla on top of sweet virginia, just as the description leads me to believe. It is a sweet and zesty flavor, very refreshing. This flavor lasts throughout the entire bowl. Whereas most traditional American aromatics flavoring burns away early, this is more of a crossover blend. Crossovers are, to me, mostly misses, but this one hits the mark squarely. Nice room note, sweetened flavor but a dry, cool smoke that never gets murky or ashy. This reminds me of Tordenskjold Virginia Slices without the perique. As a result, it loses a little depth but this blend isn't about depth or complexity - it's about providing the aromatic smoker with a more flavorful and drier smoke.

I generally prefer a bit more tobacco taste in my blends and this will be an occasional smoke for me. 3 stars for my taste but I'm giving this 4 because it perfectly meets its "design" goals. This is one of the finest crossover blends I've ever smoked, and will be near the top of my list when I want something sweetened and/or good while with other people.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (101)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very fine tobacco consisting of Virginias,burley and flue cured Virginia cavendish. Natural Sweetness of the Virginia,natural chocolate tastes of burley and the headiness of the flue cured along with a top note of Vanilla and fruit essence ie.(coconut) make this broken flake a real winner! The room note is suttle, though comforting and sweet warm fruity. The taste is caramel and toffee with a slight coconut playing through at times. With all these smells and flavors it still tastes of very fine tobacco. This is wonderful pipe tobacco, really wonderful.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A recent jaunt into the world of McClelland bulk blends has opened my eyes, wallet and palate to some flavorful, high quality and affordable mixtures.

Fragrant Matured Cake is one that I have been enjoying quite a bit. The flavor has a delicate vanilla, coconut and clove taste and the smoke is somewhat sweet. At a slow sip it's gentle and creamy, when puffed more aggressively there's a touch of spice and a tasty bittersweet edginess tingles the senses. It's just as sweet as most quality aromatics only with more tobacco flavor and without any bite or chemical like off-flavors.

Like most McClelland broken flakes it comes overly moist, firmly pressed and requires a thorough rubbing out and a good amount of dry time. All of this of course is well worth the effort. From top to bottom, this is a very enjoyable tobacco with a fine flavoring that perfectly enhances with the naturally-sweet Virginia.

Fragrant Matured Cake produces a pleasant room note that my wife continually compliments. An outstanding bulk blend that seems to only get better with age and it's also a great value.

Pipe Used: Briar

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

McClelland - No. 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake.

This is exactly what I want from an aromatic blend! It's not sour or bitter from too much sharp fruit, but richly flavoured.

The broken flakes are on the chunkier side, some need a further rubbing. The pouch-note's pretty sweet, but also there's a slightly rustic character: sweet, rustic, and nutty, that'll be the nougat! The smoke I get is one of the finest aromatics I've had, it's absolutely delicious.

I get very little tobacco flavour, there's only a slight Virginia note, the flavour's mostly aromatic. The initial added taste that comes through is the nougat: sweet, a little sticky, and quite nutty. This works perfectly with the vanilla cream that's just behind it. After the burn's established itself, I notice a fondant flavour coming through: this isn't too much, but compliments the profile nicely. To me, the flavour stays quite constant throughout, from reading other reviews I'd expected some more tobacco to enter the smoke at some point but it seems steadfastly aromatic throughout. Despite the fairly sweet topping, it doesn't bite any, and the temperature of the smoke sits in the middle.

The nicotine's a little below medium, and the room-note's absolutely divine.

A very high class aromatic:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Eric Nording Freehand

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)

No. 2000 has a pretty strong Lane 1Q flavor that smells nice enough in the bulk bag but doesn't translate very well to a straight Virginia flake. Without some burley to carry the flavor, it is always going to contribute less than a normal aromatic.

They probably had to sauce it fairly heavily to to get that flavor, which turns this stuff into napalm if you even dream of puffing too fast. Maybe this is why crossover English blends work and crossover pure Virginias don't. It just seems like a bad idea in general.

McClelland does a much better job with normal VA broken flake than with this confused crossover, it is best to stick with those.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)

MAJOR TIP!!!! Do Not Pack This One Tight!!!,, use loose gravity fill. packing tight will make this one smoke hot and wet!!!!

WOW!! been smoking this for a few months and just ordered a pound of this. I'd give it 5 stars if I could. Aromatic quality is so slight it can be ignored and smoked as a straight VA. Also, it's a crowd pleaser,, even non-smokers smile at this one :)

The name says it all, and a classic VA done just the way I like it. Somehow the folks at McClelland must have a palate very similar to mine because I like virtually every blend of theirs I try to varying degrees.

This VA has all the class of their Christmas Cheer series of which I am a huge fan. If you like CC, you'll like this. I can detect a very slight aromatic quality to this blend. It smokes most like a classic VA flake to me. I like aromatics as well, and have smoked many of them for years.

For my palate the aromatic topping here is very faint, but pleasant and I also detect the VA depth and creaminess with the classic VA light citrus tang. No bite. If you make this one bite, you've really accomplished something.

Compared side by side to McC 2010 VA, this blend gets 4 stars. I will buy a pound in the near future, plus, it's a cheaper and more readily available alternative to Christmas Cheer. Worth a serious look to all you VA lovers.

Also, I have found myself mixing this blend into some of my aromatics to give them a bit of VA tang and kick. It has worked well so far and it's fun to experiment. Part of the joy of The Pipe. :)

Pipe Used: Dedicated Wessex straight Dublin, Just for my VAs

Age When Smoked: When shipped, immediate

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Similar Blends: McC 2010, McC Christmas Cheer.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)

It took a while and then struck me. .. Tastewise this is simply a stronger and much fuller version of the famous 1Q/BCA mixture. Virginias with a light dressing of coconut, vanilla and caramel. Unfortunately, like for some others here, it bit me so badly (roof of mouth) that I had to give it away. I suspect this is due to individual mouth chemistry, so by all means give it a try!

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (25)

Amazing aroma in the bag but as with many aromatics the flavor doesn't hold up when smoked - it has a pleasant maple/vanilla sweetness but none of the intensity of the aroma.

The flakes came a bit too wet but after some drying they smoke fine. As with most flakes I rub them out beforehand.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Comment = Smooth, Mild, great full Flavor, bowl burned a long time

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A sweet, less tangy broken flake from McClelland. Easy to pack and light, a perfect all day Va that will never bite. I enjoy it as much in the morning as I do at night. Noticable chocolate cream notes, Burns slow and easy. Perfect aroma to smoke in the car on the morning commute or a road trip.

Update: After smoking almost a pound of this, I have found a new favorite aromatic!! Solid 4 stars!

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

I like this a lot. It reminds me of Mc honeydew although not quite as dark and not quite exactly the same flavor. It seems like a lighter version (in color) without the mollases, the flavor is very simillar. The tin aroma is close to the same. Sweet and almost tropical.

Needs a little drying out to avoid a wet dottle- after drying overnight I got a sweet smoke and a dry finish all the way to the heel. Smokes pretty smooth and sweet. Could easily be an all day smoke.

A good mild flavorful smoke with mainly a vanilla to hazelnut flavor. Great with morning or anytime coffee. I found this flake to have no bite as long as dried some first and you can actually puff down on this some. I normally sip but this one I enjoy to puff on.

I guess I would have to classify this as a crossover blend. Although it is not at all like a goopy aromatic, it has enough flavoring to accentuate the tobacco not mask it. Pretty well done. Smokes good as delivered but I would think aging would not hurt.

I really like the flavor of heavy english blends and va flakes but am finding myself able to enjoy the light ones quite a bit. The flavors are not in your face as much but they are more subtle and pleasent.

I reccomend you try this if you like flakes but miss aromatics occasionally. Pretty good stuff. Reccomended to anyone, but especially to newbies to flakes looking for a better smoke than aromatics- it's not gonna scare you off.

Update: I am enjoying this stuff- This earned a good rating.

It has a light vanilla taste and goes so good with the tobacco base. You must try this if you want a flavored tobacco that is not what you would consider aromatic. It smells good too despite what I just said. My friends tell me it smells like toasty vanilla a lot like a coffe shop. For reference though I never get many complaints except the girlfriend does not like latakia I know. My other friends that latakia smells like incense though when I'm smoking it so I guess it's a personal thing there. But this fine va blend should not offend anyone, it's rare one smells like it tastes but this is it.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (20)

I purchase this in Houston under the name "Bristol Slices," and I enjoy it from time to time.

I understand that local tobacconists feel that they must change the name of the bulk tobaccos they carry, so that customers will feel forced to return to their shop to buy more. But, for the better, more knowledgeable customers, it is simply frustrating to buy "Bristol Slices," only to find out later that it is really something else. This practice only encourages me to buy online, rather than support a local tobacconist who is essentially lying to me about the tobaccos he sells me.

To date, the 18 reviews on this blend are all over the place. Three give it a one- star, but four give it a four star. Eleven reviewers are about split between two and three stars. I find nothing to complain about this blend, and much to recommend it. If it were a single-malt Scotch, I'd liken it to a good dark Highland whisky.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)

I have many pounds of this in the cellar, and I have been smoking a one year old sample. I like this tobacco in a deep straight walled bowl, with very thick walls. I think it smells and tastes rather like an almondine, maple flavoring, with an underlying deep Virginia flavor. I have devoted a pipe to this blend alone, which probably enhances the flavor for the better. (devoting a specific pipe to a specific blend is a wonderful justification to keep buying additional pipes, by the way). I think this blend benefits from aging, and drying out as well. The fragrance and flavor reminds me of Christmas, and Mrs. Frosty loves the room note, which she says smells like chocolate. This stuff can bite if not aged and dried. I rub out the 1/3 bottom of the bowl quite thoroughly, as this is the only way to get it to burn all the way to the heel. Nicotine is medium I suppose, no buzz but satisfying to me. A quality aromatic, nothing at all like the goopy stuff at the drugstores. I really like it. Just remember to dry it or it will bite.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (43)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a good quality tobacco that has been strongly sweetened. It serves it's purpose of introducing strong-aromatic smokers to the flavor of good tobacco. From here I'd suggest you try their 5100 Red Cake, which is a sweet, dark Virginia which will give you more tobacco flavor.

thebriarbear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thebriarbear (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was intrigued immediately by the "Fragrant Matured Cake" name and decided I needed some. First off, the "tin" note is glorious. Some have suggested nougat, some cream, even some vanilla, and I would say, "yes". It's difficult to pinpoint, actually, but it makes for a creamy experience.

The Virginias offer a sweeping array of the spectrum, hitting most of the lemon-grassy notes while still providing a bit of zesty, tangy, mustiness. The topping was really consistent through the smoke, and was never overpowering, per se, but I did find myself wanting more of the tobacco's taste. However, this blend is deemed a crossover, and for a crossover, it is purely fantastic. This comes in a broken flake that can be easy to rub out if need be, and did come a little moist, so dry it some. Another benefit of drying this blend is because if tried to smoke wet, it will jump up and bite your tongue pretty fiercely, which I most certainly was not a fan of. However, with some dry time, and a slower cadence, this is a well behaved Virginia. The nicotine level is pretty much straight between mild and medium, I did notice the nicotine a bit more than some of their other blends, such as 5100 and 2010.

Overall, this is a perfect crossover for someone who is looking for the bridge between Aromatics and Virginas. It will give you the tasty Virginias and the sweetness of a casing/topping with minimal wetness, comparably. For the Virginia smokers out there, this will serve as a nice treat, a desert smoke, if you will.

Pipe Used: Briar

MrGoGoDanbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrGoGoDanbo (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

From the multiple bowls I smoked of this the dry time varied from 15min to up to an hour. No reason really except thats when I got to it.

The bag note was sugary syrup sweet. If you've ever smelled simple syrup that is what I'd equate this smell too. I also got a hint of buttered popcorn. Sounds weird I know, but that's what I got lingering in the background.

It comes as a flake but I rubbed it out.

After the initial light and tamp it took about two more goes before it stayed lit. I am a slow smoker so I did end up having to relight just a few times, but that doesn't bother me.

Definitely a mild tobacco. I had read that this blend is bite-y but I didn't find that to be true in my case. At a nice leisurely smoke I think you can escape the bite.

Flavor was sweet and slightly tart but as the smoke continue the tartness came out more and more. I also got a floral note on the retro hale. Even further into the bowl you get this really great lingering sugar taste in your mouth. I found this to pair well with a black cup of coffee.

Room note was sweet tobacco.

The smoke was thin but with the draw it felt chewy in my mouth which is something I like. I don't necessarily care if there are big clouds of smoke but I do look for the mouth feel of the smoke.

Thought I'd give this a shot after shying away from Aromatics. I wouldn't compare this to Lane 1Q but I'd say it is a nice step up from it. I'd return to this blend if I found I was craving something along this line.

Pipe Used: GBD 6660

Age When Smoked: N/A

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

After smoking a 1/2 lb of this in various different pipes, I thought I would give a review.

Smoking Pipes accurately describes the tobacco as such.

This light, soft sweet cake is designed to appeal to many smokers of Matured Virginias who have been unable to endure aromatics but who would prefer a tobacco that smells sweeter in the room, as well as smokers of traditional aromatic cavendishes that would like a cooler dryer smoking tobacco. It is an excellent smoke for those who prefer Virginias over Burleys, and who enjoy a mild topping and a nice room note. It has a nice maple like flavor. I would not call it a full blown aromatic. However, neither is it a "Full Virginia Flake" For those who "do not usually smoke aros..." you may just want to stay away.

Tin note: It smells somewhat sweet, but certainly not over powering like Molte Dolce, or Odyssey. It simply has a nice light sweet fragrance to it. It's not too wet, but a little drying out makes it easier to pack.

Packing: I find it somewhat difficult to pack. It's not a ribbon or a flake, it's a cake. I had many trial and error bowels with this. I like to dry it out a bit, and then try to break it up in my fingers as I pack the bowl.

It's nicotine content is mild to medium. More than a Lane 1Q, much less than 1792 flake. The first 1/4 of the bowl can be little light on smoke, and a very little bitey on the tongue. But this soon dissipates, and therafter the tobacco burns nice all of the way to the bottom. Because its made from Virginia tobacco, you feel it on your tongue, in a good way. If you like PS Luxury twist flake, you will like this.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What a pleasant bag aroma and a very good quality Virginia for being in bulk though the price was high for a bulk tobacco. The price didn't bother me once I saw the quality of the leaf. It's more of a broken flake than say #24 Virginia, if it were me I'd tin this stuff! At the char light in a Ascorti KS Billiard I could taste the casing applied and it was nice, not to sweet but pleasant. It lit very easily and has a nice side stream aroma. Though you can taste the flavoring during the smoke, the finish of the puff has that great Virginia flavor on the back end. The flavoring seems to hold it's own most of the way through the bowl. Near the end it has a little less sweetness from the casing and more Virginia flavors. Overall it's a great transitional tobacco for someone who is used to straight aromatics. The nicotine level is fine and won't over power you. I tend to smoke Latakia's, VaPer's and straight Virginia's. I find this to be a very pleasant go to tobacco for a nice change of pace. It has a white/ grayish ash, very clean smoking no wetness at the heal at all. Enjoyed it very much, it burned cool and to me it had no bite, unlike some Virginia's can get a little hot if puffed to hard. Those of you looking to try something out of the heavily cased blends to see what Virginia's are about. I think this one would be a good place to start just remember to draw slower when smoking Virginia's! Excellent!!!!!!!

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

For semi-aromatics, FMC has a sweet aroma while delivering a fantastic red Virginia taste. The best of both worlds. I have been going through this stuff rather quickly, as of late. I've concluded that the more I smoke it the more I like it. The bonus is I can smoke it anywhere and people will ask question about the glorious smell of vanilla. I think it's a diamond in the rough for those looking for a GREAT aromatic that will please both smoker and those lucky enough to be in the same room. Easy on the puffing, though. As with any of the McClelland virginias, if you get after it too much you'll know why this it's meant to be a "cool smoke".

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (38)

I must agree with Elkabong, I too add Perique to this tobacco and find that simple addition tweaks this blend just enough to make it noteworthy. A friend of mine added some cheap Smokers Pride natural, which is a straight, lightly cased burley. I tried it and can honestly say that it reminded me of an old time quality OTC pouch tobacco (I can't really say which one) but it was quite nice for puffing around the shop. While not a true aromatic, it is topped with a maple or fruit-like flavoring which tends to fade quickly if left open to the air for a length of time. You then have a nice sweetened Virginia flavor to the smoke. Again, the Perique is the secret here!

This blend is extremely pleasant, in a vanilla ice cream sort of way. Most of the time I want some toppings and nuts on my sundae, but once in awhile a scoop of plain old vanilla ice cream is just the ticket. This tobacco is much the same way. It is a nice Va with a discrete "old-timey" sort of casing that makes me think of the old men smoking pipes over coffee down at the grain elevator when I was a kid. On the other hand, after about one bowl worth of reminiscing, I get very bored. It can nip a tad too. This would make a very traditional all dayer.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is McClelland's bulk Virginia 2010 with the addition of a light aromatic flavoring. I smoke McClelland #5100 and #2035 regularly; I smoke a lot of #2015 and #2010. But in this case the flavoring spoils the Virginia flavor. You can taste the Virginia, but the additive gets in the way. McClelland recommends the blend as a crossover from aromatics to Virginias, and this might be just the ticket for the aromatic lover. I can enjoy it as a change of pace, but it will not be in my regular rotation. Paddy.

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I prefer this one from the others in their 2000 series since it doesn't have the latakia or perique that some contain. However, some might characterize my preference in taste and aroma as flat but to me, this is a pleasant and natural blend. Very moist upon receipt but partially rubbed out and once you master the packing this will burn without a relight for hours. Mild on the tongue, I enjoy this as an early AM smoke but also have used it as my all day smoke in various size bowls.