We began with Bombay Court, darkened the Virginias, added a touch of perique and increased the latakia, resulting in an enriched version of a unique and popular formula. This blend provides added depth and complexity for those seeking a richer, fuller, Oriental Mixture for after dinner or evening enjoyment.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging50 grams tin, 100 grams tin
Strength
Taste

Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Very aged sample from an internet buddy - about an ounce or so. Quite a nice gift and I wish I liked it more. But it is much appreciated all the same, and not just because of the thought.

Mostly black with flecks of dark brown, this has a heady bag aroma of latakia and a faint whiff or orientals. Lights easily and burns cleanly. The initial flavor is latakia and it's pretty much latakia down the bowl. As latakia tends to soften over time, I'm at a loss to explain this. It's as if as it got milder, it melded too much with the other tobaccos and nearly obliterated their flavor. I'd occasionally get a teaser of perique or orientals, and some very light sweetness was present, but this struck me as a latakia bomb, and I don't do well with those. About 1/3 of the way in, I got this interesting well done steak flavor with some spice that was compelling, but fleeting. Mostly this blend just seemed "dazed and confused" with too much bitterness, but also with promise. I'd be curious what a fresh tin tasted like, and even more curious what Bombay Court tastes like, as I've not smoked either. Not being a huge fan of McClelland's latakia blends until Blue Mountain, I skipped these. But this one is interesting enough to make me want to try again, as I may have missed something to my detriment. This particular version, however, struck me as a blend less than the sum of its parts, but I do thank the sender for opening my eyes to this. I'll update once I've tried the fresh version. 19 years may prove to be too long to age this one - we'll see!

Pipe Used: meerschaum

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Intentional or not, McClelland has answered Dunhill's Nightcap (I've only smoked tins and bulk blended by Murray & Sons). Beaucoup Latakia, a manly touch of Perique with middling Oriental and dark Virginias are BE. Nightcap is all pugnacious and relentless to me, missing finesse and even a modicum of balance. BE is provides a little finesse and a modicum of balance and hence it would be my choice if this kind of blend attracted me. It does not, but I appreciate it for what it is represents.

I simply cannot explain characterizations of BE as "mild" or that it burns poorly. Like most McClelland blends, it needs moisture reduction and time to breathe after the tin is unsealed. As OSR said, it is for sipping. Chuggers need not apply at the English blends department.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Boy, after reading pmonroeb's review of Bombay Extra, I went and checked my tin to make sure I had smoked the same stuff. Taste is certainly relative!.....Latakia lovers, rejoice! If, on the other hand, you prefer your Latakia in subdued doses, duck and run from this blend! This tobacco should be renamed Bombed Mouth, because I sure feel like mine has been strafed by Latakia!

Upon opening the tin you get the definite feeling this is a heady blend. You get the same feeling at the match. I made it to about the quarter-bowl point before the wife sent me into the garage with the dogs - guess that tells you what the room note is like.

If you like your Latakia flavor revved up and care little whether you have friends around, then light up with Bombay Extra. Talk about smoking in solitude, this baby will get the job done, Whew!

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is a good stuff. Defined as an Oriental mixture. In fact, Bombay is the tobacco proeminent. I scented the Orientals, Latakia (main in the tobacco, than in the taste and flavour). Perique (mainly in the smoke than in tobacco) is also scented, Virginia is associate, but is a secondary tobacco in the mixture. The Room note is strong. Nicotine is also Medium to Strong. The best score for me can be 3.5 Stars.

Pipe Used: An Chacom, Bulldog.

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: a friend

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is what I wrote about Bombay Court:

"Mild notes of smoke and wood from the Latakia. The Turkish leads with a nice note of butter and more wood. The Virginias add a modest sweetness. This is a good smoke, but is a little too woody for my taste. I wouldn't call it bland, but it borders on it. More sweetness would be nice. I can't get too excited over this one."

The changes in Extra are a definite improvement. Has more flavor and comes off as less woody. Also has a little more sweetness and a nice spiciness. I gave BC 2 stars. This version is an easy 3.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

A rich and full blend. The smokiness of the Latakia will settle out and mellow with everything else after a bit of aging. The effect makes it in my opinion even more wonderfully balanced. The orientals are there for sure. A whiff of zing to them here and there. I think everything about this presentation is a big win.

Pipe Used: Peterson Systems Standard XL307

Age When Smoked: 3 years.

Purchased From: Allegheny Smokeworks.

Well, this was a disappointment. Liking Bombay Court, I thought this would be as good or "EXTRA" good, it's not. It burns hot and bitey and lacks a distinctive flavor of Orientals that I get with BC. The blending proportions are so "out of whack" I don't even consider them similar blends and they're not !

Agree with reviewer DK

Revised 6/30/2014- Well once again I have to eat my words, this isn't bad. Give it a month to breath and it delivers a medium latakia / oriental flavor. It's one of those smokes that is good anytime between heavier blends. I still like Bombay Court better, this is just of a different style. 3 stars

Pipe Used: Cob & Maple

Age When Smoked: 1 year , open one month

Similar Blends: NOT- Bombay Court.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Opinions, opinions....

I find this to be the most complex blend in the entire McClellands line of mixtures. One can taste all of the different tobaccos and none of them dominate the blend.

This is a tobacco to be sipped. It's not a full mixture though the label would have you believe that there's some strength in the mixture. The virginias are the base but the rest of the tobaccos come through nicely.

My advice is to buy a tin, pop the top and let it sit (with the plastic top on it) for a couple of weeks. There's something about letting certain tobaccos breathe and this is one of the mixtures that benefits from breathing.

Steady and complex to the bottom of the bowl, I prefer this in larger pipes. A very nice tobacco for the sippers among us. The oriental tobacco mixed with the perique really does the trick. Well done.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Thoughts from my tobacco log dated 2003 and to this day I stand by what I thought then! Well I went to visit Dick at the tobacco shop and I went to find some Bombay Court only to find none on the shelf. Dick comes over and hands me a 50g tin of this and tells me to try this one out. So after grabbing a tin of a Peterson aromatic and some Lane bulks and an inexpensive church warden I walk to my Brat and load up the pipe. Whoa!!!! What is this??? Spice....pepper maybe?? Whatever is in this tobacco made the hair on neck stand up and want more!! It is very much like the other Bombay but is very spicy and I want more more MORE!!!

Pipe Used: New church warden

Age When Smoked: just opened tin

Purchased From: My friend Dick J's shop!

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I've smoked two tins of 100g of this tobacco.

The first one made me fall in love. It became my favorite tobacco. Thick smoke, intense flavor, complexity in the right measure, and it has never let me down, always a great smoke. A wide variety of different tobacco was mixed bringing various layers of flavor. In short, a highly recommended tobacco and a incredibly memorable one.

So memorable that I bought a second tin to never run out of this wonder.

But time plays tricks. My second can did not impress me. Certainly not displeased me, but not enchanted me anymore. But I don´t think that the tobacco has changed, instead I have "saturated" my taste of such heavy English mixtures and so.

Anyway, it is a high quality tobacco, complex enough to be interesting but not for being boring, and certainly worth a try. Problably the problem is with me, not with the him!

I only recommend that, after opening the tin, let it breath, for my taste it comes a bit too wet.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

Update: 3/17 This is a really good blend that I enjoy late in the evening after dinner or later on in the night when I am relaxed and want a full flavored smoke. The latakia is a major player but not overpowering. I get spicy notes and some natural sweetness as well from the other tobaccos used. I had to come back and redo my review as when I had first reviewed this blend years ago I was not experienced enough to truly enjoy what this excellent blend has to offer.

Pipe Used: savinelli 104, 115 ks, and 202

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

Boy, the reviews are all over the place on BE but I like it. Among McCelland's English blends, the subtle touch of Perique adds to the interest and comports well with the Orientals. The Lakatia, to my taste, is in the background. My personal preference among McClelland's English blends is British Woods but BE is worth trying. Frankly, thouh, it doesn't stand out enough to be a part of my regular rotation but it burns well to a dry ash and is sufficiently interesting to rate an occasional smoke. I'm finishing an '05 tin and the 3 years of aging adds to the melding of Perique into the overall taste.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

I should probably start off by saying that my review is based on an 11 year old tin of this blend. Upon opening I was greeted by a rich, full scent of mainly dark tobacco's with only an odd lighter piece to be seen. The tobacco packs easily and burns to a nice gray/white ash. The primary taste is the Latakia and Virginia's, with the Orientals taking a back-seat in this mixture; Perique to me is definitely a background flavor after- thought here. The farther down the bowl I smoke, the more the Latakia dominates. This is not a blend I would smoke throughout the day, rather an end of day, or after dinner smoke. I enjoy this in one of my older, Extra Large Charatan Free Hand Reliefs, with a cup of black Kenyan coffee. Final note: I still prefer Bombay Court over this blend for complexity of taste.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Tin Aroma: While this does display the deep smoky aroma of Latakia, the most striking aspect of this blends tin aroma is the overt sweetness of the Virginias, which I feel are more noticeable for being thrown into such stark relief against the ponderance of Latakia in this blend.

Physical Characteristics: Not very many light strands in this average length ribbon cut, and a bit too moist for my taste, but that doesn't mean anything, as most commercial tobacco is too moist for my taste. As with every other McClelland blend I have smoked, it packs easily and burns evenly, leaving a powdery, white ash.

Notes: This blend seems to be a fugue on Bombay Court, somewhat inverting the proportions of Latakia and Orientals. Whereas Bombay Court is, as I wrote in my review of it, is heavier on the Orientals with the Latakia playing a mostly supporting role, this is Latakia, Latakia, Latakia, with just enough Virginia and Oriental to be able to call it a 'blend'. The Latakia used is high grade, very flavorful and full, but the absolutely gigantic percentage of it quickly dulls my tastebuds to any subtlety the blend might have to offer.

Verdict: While this is an interesting aside to Bombay Court, it really isn't my thing, being just a tad too one-dimensional.

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (14)

There is indeed a certain richness to this from the perique, and I like it. Still, the bass notes on this one kinda drown out the zesty herbal quality of the orientals that you get when smoking Bombay Court.

I'm conflicted. I wouldn't reach for this when in the mood for a VaPer, nor would I reach for it over other options when in the mood for a Latakia or Balkan blend with perique. Altogether, its a nice blend that may hit just the right notes for some smokers, and I wouldn't say I can't recommend trying it.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Rich and satisfying, but with less Turkish (excluding Latakia) than I'd hoped for, in fact I can barely detect any of the typical Yenidje topnote. I like the richness of the dark Virginia. Smokes evenly, and the ready-rubbed ribbon is easier to deal with than coarse cut flake. A satisfying smoke (my housemates like it too), but less character than St. James Wood in the Personal Reserve series.

BTW, I had never understood what people meant by the "Ketchup" smell of McClelland blends. With this one it suddenly hit me -- now I can't stop smelling ketchup! But as one reviewer said, who cares how it smells in the tin it if smokes well. OTOH, I believe odor in the jar is important when judging bulk tobaccos in person. It may not tell you everything about how a blend will smoke, but it's good for a first guess.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

Good mixture. Lots of flavors to enjoy, complex yet accessible.

Flugplatz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flugplatz (4)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

I am a Latakia & Perique man. I like Frog Morton for a beginner's intro to English Blends. The next step would be Bombay Court. And then you have this guy. The deeper notes of Latakia and Perique are exquisite. The blend works very well for my palette and my tastes. I really like the burnt caramel smell of the Perique, and the Virginia mixed in is a very nice balancing point. I would smoke this all day, but it is very good sitting in your big chair and delving on the more complicated thoughts of life. Don't know about room note. I smoke outside mostly. The first wife hated it towards the end of my first marriage. Then again, she pretty much hated everything towards the end of that relationship! hmmm.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good quality tobacco and a great smoke. I do not think this has the perservative additive that harms the other blends. Not on my list of all time classics but a good change of pace.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I just finished a bowl of this five minutes ago. The taste is lingering on my palate, but that palate is quite happy. Rather than me rehash descriptions, let me say "Ditto" to most of pipinNfishin's description. This is a keeper for me. I was surprised at how quickly I went through my first 50 gram tin and will buy larger size today while stocking up before new tax kicks in.

Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

I find this blend completely Imbalanced, too much perique too much top flavoring and too much of everything to reach finally to a mixture of everything and nothing, Latakia is overwhelmed and the smoke is truly vulgar and nasty.

Medium None Detected Medium Strong

12-07-04 A big disappointment!

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Medium to fine ribbon, mostly dark brown to black laef. Smells awful, reminds me of sea swamp! Very similar to Cornell and Diehl's Red Stag. My tin was dated from March of 2002 so it had sufficient aging.

Packing and Lighting: Easy and not quite as moist as other MC blends I have tried. Lit after 2-3 lights quite well.

Initial Flavor: Blegh! Same sea swamp!

Mid-Bowl: Sea Swamp odor settles down, but it still is not very tasty although the room note is pretty good to those who like Balkans or English blends (which I do, of course.)

Bottom of Bowl: A little build up of strength, a little tingle from the perique is noticable. Ash is fine and mottled grey. Heel is dry.

Overall: This blend did not work for me. I love Balkans and English blends, but the leaf components in this mix just did not taste well to me. After 6 bowls, gave the rest away. Thankfully, there are many other MC blends I do enjoy thoroughly.(British Woods, FMATP, X-mas Cheeer, Dark Star, 221b Honeydew, etc...

Rating: 2 out of 5 points

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Typical Mcclelland EM: light, round and creamy. Slightly More interesting and personal than British Woods, but not as full as Dunhills or GLPs. It has a dark and soft sweetness which is quite agreeable, though nothing to rave about. Weird pear smell in the tin!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Appearance: Very nice ribbon cut, assorted colors run the full gamut from light to dark. Perhaps a bit darker than Bombay Court. A bit moiser than I like my mixtures, but about average for McC.

Aroma: A heavy aroma of, smokey Cyprian Latakia, sweet virginias and spicy Orientals. Definitely more Latakia than BC.

Packing: Packs easily into medium and larger pipes.

Lighting: Takes flame fairly well, neither too east nor too difficult to light.

Initial flavor: To my taste, the Latakia drowns out the other tobaccos.

Mid-bowl: The Latakia still overpowers the blend, resulting in a monochromatic Taste.

Finish: Finished well, not much gain in harshness. The pipe was dry and clean with some gray ash left.

Summary: Not as pleasing as Bombay Court, nor in the same league with GLP Raven?s Wing..