An exotic Oriental mixture spiced with Turkish tobaccos, cut wide and enhanced by the natural aromatic, cool character of just enough smoky latakia. Matured Virginias fine-cut from aged cakes add their naturally sweet, full flavor.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeOriental
Packaging50 grams tin, 100 grams tin
Strength
Taste

Ribbon cut of mottled blonde-to-black with a tin nose of superb oriental. This was another blend that I think I smoked one tin of when it came out in the '90's and decided it was not worth a second shot. However, when someone sent me a sample of Bombay Extra, I got the strong impression that this mellower cousin might fit what I was looking for. How right I was! Feels good to be right once in a blue moon!

This is a spicy, exotic oriental-FAR forward Scottish style blend, with those fantastic McClelland Virginias taking second seat and the latakia far to the rear. A mildly complex mixture, but not nearly as much so as many other Scottish blends I've smoked. This was steadier and focused on a symbiosis between the leaves into a top-to-bottom tasty smoke that would be rich enough to satisfy but still fairly mild and easy to smoke. The more of this I smoked, the more I wanted to smoke, and I can't think of a higher compliment to pay a tobacco. I also discovered that slow sipping this blend did not bring out the flavors. This blend liked to cook at a bit higher temp than, say, a Virginia flake. As a sidebar, despite what I hear from the current crop of "tobacco gurus" about the need to slow sip everything, I usually test each blend to see what puffing cadence it prefers, and I can't recommend that practice strongly enough. Granted, most blends like to take it slow. This one liked a bit of puffing - not too much, although even too much didn't cause it to be too cranky - but enough to get it cooking properly.

As I continue learning about tobaccos, I'm discovering what oriental-forward blends with light latakia (Scottish blends, as per the conventional wisdom... which may be THE wisdom for all I know!) bring to my rotation. I'm slowly leaning towards preferring the best of these over my usual Virginia fare. And this is one of the best.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

A long time favorite from McClelland's and always a rewarding smoke. I get the Latakia flavor I am looking for as well as the enhancements the Orientals and Virginia tobaccos add. Actually a semi-sweet blend and truly unique.

Pipestud

Mild notes of smoke and wood from the Latakia. The Turkish leads with a nice note of butter and more wood. The Virginias add a modest sweetness. This is a good smoke, but is a little too woody for my taste. I wouldn't call it bland, but it borders on it. More sweetness would be nice. I can't get too excited over this one.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Burns very nicely right out of the tin.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The lemon Virginia has a very mild spiciness to go with the citrus. The Oriental/Turkish are smoky, spicy, and very woody with a light salt and sour note here and there. These components are noticeable in every puff, though the spice seems a little more prominent toward the finish, and the Virginia is a little less obvious than the Oriental/Turkish. The Cyprian latakia is smoky and woody sweet, and while a minor player, serves an important function. The "vinegar" notes disappear quickly, but the mild tanginess pleasantly lingers. Has a mild to medium nic-hit. Needs a little dry time and requires a few relights, but smokes fairly cool with no bite. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl if given that dry time, though I do not recommend letting it completely dry out. Has a good after taste if you like blends in this genre, though you may not win too many popular votes in the room note department. Not an all day smoke.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

McClelland - Bombay Court.

Finally, after being messed around by the U.K. postal service, with there sur-charges, package processing, and official delays, I finally received my latest trade from my American pipe-pal Franck, aka Gentleman Zombie. For this trade, as well as brand new blends, we agreed to swap a few 'opened but not so fond of' tins. This is one of those; what do they say? one mans trash is another mans treasure!

Firstly, I'm unsure of the age so I can't comment regarding that, but it's just old enough for the broken seal to have made the hydration perfect. The ribbons are a fair divide between dark brown and black, and they're medium in size.

On the back of the tin it says "natural sweet flavour'; that's the one word that I wouldn't associate with this, it has a raw, full flavour, but not a sweet one (to me); unless that's meant rhetorically! I enjoy this kind of Latakia, it's not that smoky, but more woodsy. The Oriental/Turkish play a good role in completing the flavour: these are easily tasted and accompany the Latakia impeccably. To be truthful, out of the three it's the Virginia that offers me the least in the way of flavour; maybe a slight grass note, but nothing too pre-eminent. The nicotine? To me this is medium in the dictionary definition of the word! It burns superbly: hardly any re-lights, only some odd tamps, and no dottle.

Now the room-note: I like it quite a bit, it's nothing extraordinary but it's good nevertheless. My wife however...... "what's that mister? It smells like a bloody bonfire?"! I'll leave you to form your own opinion!!

This also makes an incredibly good first smoke of the day. For the mornings alone it warrants four stars!

Franck, once again, thanks pal!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: ??

Purchased From: Traded with Gentleman Zombie

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (14)

As with any review of McClelland blends post early 2018... it comes with a touch of sadness even if the blend in question is not a bell ringer.

Bombay Court from the personal reserve series is a tasty inclusion with some interesting oriental notes that intertwine with classic, sweet virginias. A nice blend - not something that I'd rush to stock up on were it possible at this point - but nice. My sense is that the reason this blend isn't more regarded is that other reference blends with a similar profile are SO good and noteworthy - namely Red Rapparee by Rattray's (personal fave) and Early Morning Pipe by Dunhill.

If you have it - love it and enjoy it. If you don't - don't lament, seek out others in the range of which there are many.

3/4 stars.

Pipe Used: old brit briar, meer, cob

Age When Smoked: ~4 years

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)

Does not need much effort to light but it does not catch to fire immediately, something probably expect with such a cut.

When I first smoked it, not having smoked another English for some time, it gave me the impression of being an archetypal English blend according to the British tradition. However when you compare it more directly with other Englishes, it shows its McClelland character with its tell-tale sweet Virginia scent.

It’s a hearty English, measured in the Latakia content, flavourful with nice Virginias and a good Oriental note, though not very complex or nuanced. I did enjoy it but there are much better Englishes out there and better McClellands as well.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is from my tobacco log and dates from 2002 and I will say this blend is better now than my 2002 thoughts! This is a wonderful blend that contains the dreaded Virginia and as if by magic the Virginia burn I expect to occur never happens. Maybe Virginia tobaccos are not all that bad and with the right tobaccos it can even become something I may start to embrace! I am not sure what gives this the smokey flavor but whatever it is I am glad it is in this blend to help mask (is that the right term) the Virginia tobacco that I am still wary of.Overall this tobacco is one to buy again and again!

Pipe Used: Pipe from wall at tobacco shop

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: My friend Dick J's shop!

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)

Having not had this blend previously, my review is based entirely on a single well-aged can.

My tin of Bombay Court has been sitting at the back of a shelf for some time, and as I prefer Turkish-infused blends in the fall months, why not have at it. The tin dates to 1997, and so has rested for a good while. Popping the top released a brace of beguiling smells: sweet, winey virginia, a bit of briny latakia, and a hefty sour note from the Turkish. Entrancing!

Lightup is soft and creamy, with essences of port and somewhat metallic notes from the Turkish. Things soon settle down into a dewey, ultra smooth virginia/oriental blend, and don't change much as the bowl progresses. Nicotine is mild, at most, and the whole affair is well behaved, burns effortlessly. Mouth feel is sleek and smooth, giving off an air of refinement.

And yet, I am left feeling that my tin may be past its 'best served' date. I could do with a little more character, and find myself both wanting more taste from the tobacco, and inevitably tugging too hard to find it. I also tend to crave something stronger after I finish with Bombay Court, which is a touch unfortunate.

Nearly two decades of repose may have eroded the character of this blend. I will likely revisit it on occasion, when weary of more assertive fare. I do find the quality of leaf and packaging to be excellent.

If it were possible, I'd like to have tried this at the decade mark. I am considering buying a tin of recent production, and putting it away for a few years. Perhaps I'll revisit this review then.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

McClelland Bombay Court presents as a range of light to dark brown ribbon. Tin note is subtle, presenting some grassy and herbal notes with a foundation of more pungent, damp, earthy, and mushroomy aromas. While by no means lacking, the tin note is muted compared to the norm for a McClelland oriental.

The charring light brings those damp, dank, earthy notes to the fore with a background note (typical of quality Virginia) of haylage and a touch of sweet feed. This is an interesting combination of Virginia and Oriental tobaccos that is disproportionately impacted by the condimental Latakia - and not at all in a bad way. Each sip seems to bring equal parts of the constitute tobaccos. While there is an overall damp mouthfeel to this blend, the smoke is nonetheless dry, and the burn is slow and cool.

Bombay Court is a walk through a primordial forest: deep, dark, dank, yet remarkably smooth-smoking. The final third is heavy, damp, and - yes - delicious. Bombay Court can't contend with the fantastic Grand Oriental series, but is a fine and interesting blend in its own right: certainly worth a try, and a winner for those who prefer more dank, musty, muted, yet cool-smoking, creamy and smooth Oriental/Latakia blends.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

Not really my cup of Tea. I like McClelland products in general and in particular the frog morton range, 221b and Christmas Cheer, but i just havent taken to this one. Well made though so i'm sure others will like it. 2 stars for now. I have another 100g tin but i doubt i'll order more.

Rumor has it that McClelland has terrific selection of Orientals warehoused. I have no idea if that is true, but I do know that they have some very good Oriental “forward” blends. Bombay Court falls into that very good group. I tend to enjoy tobaccos on the drier side, and I find that with BC, the drier the better. The Orientals are top notch and BC is really balanced. Each of the component tobaccos seem to fit perfectly in this blend with just the right amount of each. The Latakia plays more in the background, although it is more than a just a condiment and offers just the right amount of smoky deliciousness. My just finished tin is from 2005 and there is a sweetness that reflects the age. I have not smoked it new so your results may vary.

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (24)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

To me this is a well balanced Oriental. I have other blends that I consider Full Orientals, this is one that I find quite enjoyable. I can smoke Bombay Court any time of day and enjoy it. This comes slightly wetter than I like, a little drying is needed but not much. Bombay Court is easy to load, lights easily, and burns down to a salt and pepper ash. This blend provides for an underlying sweet smoke from the Virginias, the Orientals peek in and out throughout the smoke and are a little tart. The Latakia seems to me to be in the background, I notice the Latakia early in the smoke and then its there but its not an attention getter. This could easily be an all day smoke.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

12-07-2004 A light oriental.

Appearance and Tin Aroma: This doesn't smell swampy like Bombay Extra, just a typical light oriental. Very similar to Oriental #8 and #12. Leaf is light brown to dark brown.

Packing and Lighting: Easy, but is very moist in the tin. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Nice burst of the turkish from the get go, some bright VA too.

Mid-Bowl: Same round turkish dominated flavor, not too pungent, a little spicyness from the red VA noticable. Latakia is in the background.

Bottom of Bowl: A slight build up of strength, gery mottled ash is left with some moisture in the heel and shank, 2-3 pipecleaners worth!

Overall: This is a smooth oriental blend, but is just too bland for me. It might be a good intro to Turkish dominated blends though.

Rating: 3 out of 5 points

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

To begin, I find this to be a more balenced blend than Bombay Extra, (see review). In the tin the tobacco is predominantly dark with an odd lighter ribbon now and then. A little springy on the light it did require a relight and tamp to get it going. I note all the componenets on the first half and during the second half the latakia slightly pokes ahead of the others.

I find this blend to be a nice, comforting, English blend with no surprises. I like the fact that it is not a latakia "loaded" blend. The balence is great. This is an English that I could smoke all day long.

It burns to a grey/white ash with little dottle left at the end. It does seem to stay dryer if allowed to air out a bit before packing.

Nice, smooth, consistent smoke.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Very nice ribbon cut, assorted colors run the full gamut from light to dark. No particular shade seems to predominate. A bit moiser than I like my mixtures, but about average for McC.

Aroma: A well balanced aroma of sweet virginias, smokey Cyprian Latakia and spicy Orientals.

Packing: Packs easily into medium and larger pipes.

Lighting: Takes flame fairly well, neither too east nor too difficult to light.

Initial flavor: A nice balance, with the Va. Component most noticeable at first, the Orientals and Latakia coming out within a few seconds. All the ingredients play well together.

Mid-bowl: No significant changes, just a nice balance with a bit of layering. Not bland or monochromatic, but not very complex either.

Finish: Finished well, not much gain in harshness. The pipe was dry and clean with some gray ash left.

Summary: On it?s own, a very good effort. Compares favorably with Ashton Celebrated Sovereign, or Royal Vintage Latakia #2, but far short of GLP Renaissance.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: Very dusky, but with a hint of that famous McClelland ketchup smell to it. I suppose that means that there is a goodly portion of Virginias in here. Not an overpowering aroma by any means. This is actually a pretty light scent for a Latakia blend, especially a McClelland one.

Physical Charisteristics: Small ribbons, mostly black or brown, with a little golden showing here and there for good measure. Packs easily, due to the small pieces, but is a bit springier than is desired, for much the same reason, I imagine. This springiness is only a momentary annoyance, and not really problematic.

First Light: This blend did not want to be lit, and once lit, did not want to stay so. However, after a bit of wrestling, it decides that not only would it like to be lit, but it would like to be engulfed in flame. In the space of three puffs, it went from sputtering to raging inferno, and my tongue screamed in agony. However, I quickly got it under control and moved on to the full smoking enjoyment that Bombay Court can provide. I can tell immediately that this blend will require careful smoking in order to get everything possible out of it. I will not be idly puffing on this while working, I will sit down and give it my full attention. The rewards with Bombay Court are immense, if it is approached properly.

Notes: Dries out the mouth a little, but nothing a good cup of tea can't fix. Coffee seems to overpower this blend (at least the coffees I like), so I would stick to tea with this one. I love it with a little Irish Whisky, or a light Scottish Whisky. Stays lit with very little attention. I walked away from a bowl of this, and came back a good five minutes later and it was still lit. Fine white ash, almost powdery. The kind of ash it is awfully easy to suck through the stem, so I stir it up and dump it before tamping. Mellows out quite a bit in the second half of the bowl. I could easily smoke a lot of this, and in an age where the tobacco choices are so vast, that is saying something. Not as heavy as some 'english' blends, this is a pleasant year-round smoke, whereas some of the 'englishes' I enjoy must be relegated to the colder months, due to their 'weight'. This is most likely due to its relatively low Latakia content. The amount of Orientals in this blend is high, which makes a nice change from my normally Latakia heavy blends, but still within what I consider the 'english' type. I would caution against smoking this all day however, too many of the nuances of it are lost with repetition, and to lose its subtleties would be a crime. This is good in a meerschaum, but does not really shine unless it is in a briar, and gets even better once it and the pipe have 'gotten to know each other'. If you are going to smoke this on a regular basis, it would be worth your while to dedicate a pipe to it. You will not be dissapointed.

Revised 2014-4-18- Sometimes you're just wrong about a blend and I was wrong. When I first tried this, I was unimpressed and threw it into the "bin of misfit tobaccos". I saw it there looking all dejected and decided to give it another chance, BUT FIRST I wanted to reread what I had wrote. What is this !!! someone gave me a bad review...... could this be...... is my wife correct??? She says, I'm always wrong. But then I read reviewer "DK 14-3-29" review ( please read it , spot on), paraphrasing he said, " SMOKE IT FAST & HOT". I did, and this blend is great, no bite, not bitter, the flavor of "Gingerbread" jumps out and interesting throughout the bowl. Actually reminds me of Chonowitsch T-17. What a great change of pace from sloooow sipping Virginias, and heavy Latakias. Changed review from 2 to 4 stars

Original review This starts out with a nice balance between sweetness and Orientals ( Smyrna/ Drama ?)and It doesn't start out hot or ashy like some Orientals, I don't detect much Latakia ( unlike many reviewers) and it's relatively smooth. However, the second half of the bowl goes flat, not good on the relight and it is very one dimensional. I compared this to McC #24 , which is a Virginia/ Drama blend and I do like #24 better as it holds my interest throughout the bowl. I wouldn't go as far as to say this is boring, but it sure ain't no brass band !

I have to agree with reviewer RCUSElder (244) 2004-12-07

Pipe Used: Cob & Osark Maple

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks open 2009 vintage

Similar Blends: Chonowitsch T-17.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

My review is based on a 2005 tin, opened and smoked (very quickly) in 2009.

I'll keep this brief. As others have noted, this is a delicious English blend with a decided emphasis on the Turkish. The McClelland Virginias provide a rich and flavorful foundation, and there's just the right balance of latakia in the blend. This is an excellent smoke that comes very close to being "highly recommended." I thoroughly enjoyed it.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

Move over you Frogs. Now this stuff is, oh so yummy, it's almost too hard to describe.

I've tried this in three different pipes, the last one being a Ceramic Bowled Calabash. Being a glazed bowl and kept quite clean, it doesn't have the ghosts' of a 100 different tobaccos.

The flavors of Bombay Court came through in waves, and it only got better down to the last snippet of tobacco. The Virginias IMHO were the most predominant, with the remaining tobaccos appearing in the background where they added some very tasty additions to this amazing smoke.

This is my first venture into a McClelland Tobacco, and I wasn't disapointed. 4 Stars and a Plus!

Randy W...

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)

I hold Latakia in the same esteem I hold Perique. It's a spice/flavoring. I like English/Scottish blends, but want my Latakia in the background. In general, I feel that McClelland tastefully handles Latakia in their blends. A little smokiness to balance out the sweetness of VA's is always the way to do it, IMO.

Bombay court is a regular standby that has handled evening Churchwarden service for me, particularly during the colder mos.

Here' why. There's always a surprise at the "bottom of the box" Upon lighting, the Turkish and Latakia dominate. Around mid bowl, the torch is passed to the VA's. The smokiness of Latakia stays present but is offset by the sweetness of the Virginias. It's a smooth transition, like a DGT you kept smoking. Non-smokers weren't assaulted by the Latakia.

Very dry and white ashes. 4 stars and many cans in the cardboard boxes I call a "cellar" , but I see no need to age, I like "as is"

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not bad, interestingly sweet/smoky/musty, especially in the first half bowl. Can bite due to the high virginia content. Same "pear" tin aroma of Extra, compared to which it's actually better, tastier and smokier, as Extra drowns orientals with Latakia and Perique.