It was said to be such arresting character, such delicacy that it stopped all conversations. Holmes recognized it by its characteristic fluffy, white ash. It was Dr. Watson's favorite. It is our hope that this formula, deduced after careful study of several vintage examples of what was know as the original and made available to us by dedicated collectors, will please most discriminating smokers. A rich oriental mixture worthy of all Sherlockians.

Notes: Arcadia is the second of 221b Series, after Black Shag. Arcadia is a re-creation of the legendary Carreras Craven's Mixture, which was referred to as "Arcadia" in J.M. Barrie's book, "The Lady Nicotine."

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Taste

2.9
TWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TWolf (4)

I picked up a tin of this about a year ago while I was traveling and put it in my cellar. I opened the tin to send a sample to someone and sealed the rest in a Mason jar but for some reason I didn't try it myself until about a week ago. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this tobacco but I was very pleasantly surprised. The tin note has just a little bit of ketchupy/vinegary aroma but it's very mild. Just under that is a bit of grassy/hay from the Virginia. It packs very well, lights easily and stays lit. There is a natural sweetness to this tobacco but there is also a pleasant tangy/sourness to the sweet. When the smoke passed over my tongue my initial thought was of the sour sweetness of a sweet tart but that's probably a bad analogy because it's not sweet in a candy way. Maybe the sweet tangy quality of a good barbecue sauce would be a better description, particularly since I thought I noticed a subtle smokiness hovering in the background. I assume that's from the Oriental. For me that rounded out the flavor nicely and gave it more complexity. In any case it's a very pleasant flavor and a very satisfying smoke. The flavor remains throughout the bowl. This one is a winner for me and something I plan to keep on hand.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Trevi 320

Age When Smoked: Cellared about a year

This blend has the "ketchup" smell you usually find in McClelland blends, but it's not present in the taste. There is a topping that I've detected in their Frog Morton series that seems to add a little sweetness here. It is lightly grassy and earthy, with fermented tangy dark fruit sweet stoved Virginia which is well enabled by the smokey wood and dry spice from the Orientals. The nic-hit is just past being mild. Won't bite or get harsh even if pushed. Burns at a slow to moderate pace, cool, clean, and very smooth with a consistent flavor that never weakens. Has a sweet after taste and room note. Aromatic smokers who want to go in a different direction may find this to their liking. This blend seems to be made for that. An all day smoke.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Arcadia was the name of the fictional mixture in Sir James Matthew Barrie's minor masterpiece of irony, My Lady Nicotine. This was, supposedly, the real-life Craven mixture, which Barrie actually smoked himself. If this is a reproduction of a real-life mixture, how could it possibly have anything to do with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional stories of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson? The entire tin legend for this tobacco is arrant nonsense, and an egregious example of the lengths to which blenders will go, to say nothing of any value on their labels.

Either that, or they have a very wise confidence in many of their customers' inability to tell fact (Craven's) from fiction (Sherlock Holmes.)

Be that as it may, this is a good blend. The bouquet of the almost shag-cut tobacco, unlit, is yeasty in the way of latakia, but I do not taste latakia when I smoke it. The chief flavour is the savoury sweetness of lightly-stoved virginia, but some other leaf?not Turkish, I woundn't think?keeps it from getting syrupy. The taste bears some kinship to Rattray's Dark Fragrant, but this is a far more manly, interesting smoke. It is a bit like Haddo's Delight without the Périque.

An excellent afternoon mixture, if smoked slowly.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

What a wonderful smoke this is. The Orientals provide the main flavors of wood, leather and a hint of butter along with a fair amount of spice and a bare hint of smoke. The Virginias are stoved and provide a little sweetness with a toasty note. Not terribly complex, but it's very well rounded with nice depth. Absolutely delicious. Truly, a great blend.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. Not sure about a topping or not. If there is one it's extremely mild. Burns perfectly straight from the tin.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I agree with BostonPipe...Arcadia is a friendly mixture without a lot of frills. Loved the shag cut -- helped promote an even pack and burn every time. Unique flavor too. Although there is a good portion of the cool and airy Oriental leaf, this one packs some punch, and I found it to be quite welcome. I'll cellar some as this one has all the ingredients for promoting depth and flavor variances as time goes by.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I totally agree with Beaupipe's review. This one should have been great for me based on the ingredients... and I did like it ok. But the oriental flavor began to wear on me over time. It took me about 6 months to finish the tin and what hit me as favorable with the first few bowls became what turned me off the last few.

I still recommend that people try this, as there seems to be a lot of dissension in the ranks. For that reason, I give this 3 stars. For my own enjoyment, 2 stars.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very mild smoke, but with a fair amount of flavor. A real Oriental treat for any smoker in the mood for a mild, smooth, relaxing smoke. I get a lot more Oriental than Virginia, but it's not overwhelming in any aspect. Likely a good intro to this catagory for the OTC smoker

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ribbon cuts, darkish in appearance, a mingle of dark probably stoved virginias and black latakias with considerable less quantity of brighter leaf presumably oriental. Tin note is mostly leathery, tangy and to a lesser degree smoky - latakia dominant - but has also a degree of sweetness. Easy to fill and light. Smoking Arcadia at first, though very satisfying and with a bold flavor, I considered it to be just an occasional smoke for my taste because I thought it was a rather dry smoke. Predominant aromas were leathery and smoky with a black peppery spiciness. And although a rich smoke it was not heavy at all. Still, it's better for the evening than at the start of the day. Yet as soon as I got used to it I began to detect a very welcome subtle sweetness. This combined with the fact that it burned very smoothly and stayed lit to the end gave me a deeply satisfying and relaxing experience which I relished for several 45-50 min smokes. Better when smoked calmly as flavors deepen throughout the bowl. Nicotine level is medium +, just right for me to get my kick and it burns to a beautiful fluffy white ash. Room note is rather subtle considering the latakia content of the blend. I know there is a controversy concerning whether this blend contains any latakia at all but if it doesn't then I'd be very surprised...

Pipe Used: Corn cobs

Purchased From: 4noggins

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I had some samples of this a while back and liked them. I'm now almost through a 3-year aged tin & can truly say that I REALLY like this. Oddly, it seemed quite hot & thin in the narrow bowls I usually use for Vas, but in a big meer with a pot-shaped bowl nearly 7/8" across, it transformed into a genuinely rich smoke. Started with lots of Va highs, plenty sweet, a little spice from the O's. Mid bowl develops a creamy balance with the spices kicking in & out, finish is dark with lots of Va base under Oriental tang. Very lightly cased, I think. Nice room note, but pricey for me.

Pipe Used: Big meer

Age When Smoked: 3 yrs

Purchased From: P&T

Similar Blends: reminds me a little of Skiff & 996 w/out the Lat.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I’ve had several tins of Arcadia cellared for years, and this one I’ve had on the shelf for about six years. Opening the tin I was greeted about 75% rich reddish brown small ribbons to about 25% oily black small ribbons, all perfectly slightly on the drier side. The smell was spicy, smoky, and had the McClelland’s Virginia smell. An unlit sip tasted of smokiness and sweet BBQ, and the charring light brought forth a thick sweetness. Overall Arcadia delivers a dance between an underlying sugary sweetness and a slightly sour Latakia note, and while not complex it is a rich smoke. Every so often I get a slight cracked pepper spiciness and the vitamin N content seems very light. The finish is short and the room note is fair. Arcadia is one of my favorite blends and I recommend it to anyone looking for a light yet rich English blend.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 6 Years

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)

My specimen of this was from 2009 so it's aged about 5 years. This was a good thing apparently. Opening the tin presented the typical McClelland's smell. A very nice fine shag with pleasing colors. It packed nicely in the bowl. The initial light was very pleasing with a fairly good puff of smoke. The taste burning through was a nice creamy sweetness. Perhaps a touch of nuttiness and a hint of carmel. It burned nice and cool all the way through the bowl. And as promised leaving a fine white ash. No topping cased flavor here.

Pipe Used: Peterson meerschaum 106

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (34)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was another sampler that I bought recently. It smelled like smokey BBQ sauce when I opened the bag.

The flavour while smoked is hard to describe. It was light, and smokey, with a bit of ketchup/BBQ taste. Almost a slight soapy taste too maybe?

I didn't have the wife around for the wife test, but I think she wouldn't really mind the room note. It wouldn't be a favourite of hers, but she wouldn't run away from it.

I smoked a bowl of this, fairly quickly, and I feel the very slightest of buzzes. Pleasant.

I did have some gurgle occur about half-way through the bowl, and it left a little wetness in the bottom.

The after taste is a mix of something chemical, and campfire/BBQ like smoke.

I probably would not buy this one again, as it seems like I prefer aromatics. However I wouldn't say it is a bad smoke.

2 stars from me.

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm half way through my first tin of this blend and I am liking it very much as my start of the day smoke. The nic level is low so I want a higher octane later in the day.

The Va and Orientals are nicely balanced with the Orientals adding interesting notes to the flavour. It is an interesting change from the Lat bombs I'm fond of but it is still plenty 'English' enough for me.

It is probably a good starting point for aro smokers interested in trying something different.

Recommended.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This starts out sweet snd smooth,as you reach the half way point. The flavor gets richer this has been cellered since 08 that may change things. However I remember this being about the same when it was a new tin.

Update: Better than before the,flavor is bold but not over the top. Burns to a perfect ash, smoking a bowl in a Upshall as I post:) 4-stars

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Opening the tin I perceived the usual McClelland vinegar/ketchup scent, however, not as powerful as other blends by this company. The tobacco packs very easily due to the shag/stringy cut. I like to smoke this blend in a medium to large tapered bowl. I found the first third of the bowl smokes very mild with a slight sweet edge. In the last two thirds I note a very subtle saltiness to the flavor. I find overall this blend to be a very pleasent, smooth, mild smoke. It burns a nice white/grey ash and needs maybe one re-light. Just a nice, change of pace for this usual heavy oriental smoker.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Rather fine cut for an English blend, almost a shag. A good range of colors from light to black, evenly distributed.

Aroma: Fairly typical English/Oriental once it dries a bit and loses the ?vinegar? smell.

Packing: Packs easily in any size pipe, but seems o be best in small to medium bowls.

Lighting: Very quick lighting when it?s a the right humidity.

Initial flavor: Just an average English blend. I can taste the Virginias (which are not particularly rich), he Orientals (which are also somewhat subdued), and the moderate Latakia. In short, nothing jumps out for me. There is some nice layering, but not quite the flavor level I?m looking for.

Mid-bowl: The fine cut can smoke hot unless you?re careful. The flavor develops a bit more depth as you progress through the middle, bu still not outstanding.

Finish: A bit more Latakia evident at the end. It does leave a fluffy whte ash, but so does Raven?s Wing.

Summary: Leaving aside the debate about whether this is or isn?t a recreation of Craven (which I enjoyed greatly, but too many years ago for a valid comparison), the blend is just OK, but suffers in comparison to others I?ve reviewed recently. If there had been a Dr. Watson, he would have spent his tobacco money much more wisely.

ElMog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ElMog (30)

I think analogies with BBQ sauce are very apt with this one. It is meaty, spicy, a bit smoky, a bit sour and a bit sweet. To me it tastes like there is some latakia in this one (i wont get into a square VS rectangle argument with oriental VS latakia here...). It is not incredibly complex, nor memorable. But somehow, this smoke has never disappointed me and as such, even though i am not ''consciously'' impressed by Arcadia, on the back of my mind it always feels like a very reliable and satisfying mixture.

Pipe Used: Various cobs and briars

Purchased From: 4noggins

AppleJack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AppleJack (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

That unmistakable McClelland scent is there are soon as you open up the tin - deep and earthy. Delicious.

It lights easily and smokes well, blowing up big plumes of blue-white smoke. It never gets too hot and burns nice and evenly with a deliciously deep flavour and no bite. It tastes like it smells - earhty and spicy, which makes for a relaxing evening smoke. If you like the sweeter taste of aromatics or drug store blends, then this might be a bit too rich for you, but if you want the actual taste of tobacco this is the way to go.

My only real complaint is one that I have with all McClelland blends, and that's that it's too darned wet when you first open the tin - which makes it hard to keep lit when you get to the bottom of the bowl. But, a little bit of drying will fix this right on up, and I suppose it does keep it from getting dry and hot.

All in all, this is a fantastic smoke with a rich and complex flvour that I just adore. Heartily recommend.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob, Meer, and Falcon

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (33)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a typical McClelland latakia blend, which for me, means it is going to be very filling. Flavorwise, the latakia is dominant, with some virginias playing second (think 5100). I find this to be a very filling blend, while not really stout or strong. Like most McClelland blends, the tobacco appears a bit oily in the tin. The tin note is latakia, with that McClellend "essence" present as well. Its a bit sweet for me, however. All in all, not a bad blend at all. If you are a fan of Frog Morton, than you would love this...

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

Vinegar smell. Packs easily and lights and stays lit better than any other tobacco i have ever smoked. Nice tart vs sweet taste but not so good that i want it all the time. Great for the occasional chage up though. Give it a try!

Update Oct 14: This tobac is nearly 4 years old now and has been opened and closed half a dozen times so most of the vinegar smell is gone. I have to say, it has aged magnificently and is now one of favourite smokes. Age makes this superb. Up to four stars. I will be buying more tins to cellar.

Age When Smoked: 3

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

The waxy texture and too-perfect moisture level indicate generous portions of propylene glycol used as a humectant. There is quite a bit of 'Latakia,' likely the Cypriot variety of the smoky weed, but there is more too it than Latakia. The casing is a common but unidentifiable flavoring...the propylene glycol?

Of course, there are the Virginias, including generous helpings of MClelland's dark stoved Virginia. But this is the most English of the English blends I have sampled from the American tobacco firm.

No tongue bite, even when smoked fast, but it does leave a lot of moisture behind. Mind the gurgles!

Tin note is mostly Latakia, but the room note is a delightful, old fashioned, Grandpa's pipe smell that will please most of the rabble. Indeed, I may buy more of this simply for the classic aroma so loved by those unfortunate enough to taste it themselves.

Pipe Used: Large straight billiard

Age When Smoked: 3 years old

nitramretep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitramretep (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This blend is a mystery to me...it seems not to improve over time and actually becomes less pleasent after being open for a few days. McClelland is one of my favorite brands and having read several positive reviews was a little dissapointed. The Frog series still continues to please me though. 221b is perhaps just not my cup of tea but there again I am not a fan of other "dry" blends. I was using this blend in two Ashton pipes both XL models.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of those odd little tobaccos that seem to have everything I want and then just miss somehow, somewhere. I want to fall in love with it, but I just can't.

It is a lovely smoking tobacco. It appears a mottled black, brown and yellow in the can. The orientals give a slight resiny/grassy quality to the tin aromas mixed with the honeyed qualities of the Virginias. It packs like a dream and smokes cool, dry, and long.

I can't remember who it was, but some scribbler once described a woman like this: "She just missed being beautiful and in just missing was not even attractive." It's mean, but I find it curiously apt to describe hallowed and hollow Arcadia.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)

The good news is, this is the sort of tobacco I like a lot. Rich and full, cool smoking and not very bitey. Room note is not bad compared to a heavier English.

The bad news is, I already have a tin of this stuff and it says "Presbyterian Mixture" on it.

The good news is, this is cheaper than Prezzy and comes more dry.

There is nothing new under the sun, but if everything mimiced old favorites as well as this, we'd be better for it.

EDIT 040408

I find this less like Presbyterian now... perhaps some ghosts doing the talking. A very pleasant smoke, with some nice hints of something almost like a basma... Good work McClelland

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)

I was bias, wonderfully bias even before I first smoked Arcadia. I had, years ago, read Barrie's My Lady Nicotine and found myself captivated by the stories and by the mythic mixture around which they revolved. At the time, I imagined the Arcadia to taste like the Sundowner Mixture; essentially, I imagined the Sundowner Mixture, then, as now a favorite of mine. When I learned about McClelland's reproduction of Craven A I was enthralled and ecstatic. That fantastical ecstasy didn't wear off until I had gone through seven tins of Arcadia, at great personal expense, I might add.

For a time it seemed the perfect English blend. I was suppressed to learn that it contained not Latakia, as I swore I could detect it, though certain Orientals could, doubtless, duplicate aspects of the Latakia flavor. Whatever its composition, I generally found it cool and piquant and complex throughout, always assuring an enjoyable smoke, no matter the pipe.

I was somewhat distressed to find that this precept of mind was not to hold up over time. Recent tins of the Arcadia I have purchased began to smoke hot and acrid or even bland at times. What I have tasted the last few times is like a lower quality all Virginia blend that seems to suffer from a perfusion of stems and twigs. I really don't know what happened and can only hope that the Arcadia experience I had of old will eventually be rediscovered.

Lastly, though I know this is not to be a forum for concourse or dispute, I feel I must correct a long standing error and an egregious wrong done to both the McClelland Tobacco Company and the field of Sherlockiana. In an early review of this tobacco posted 5 June, 2004 by the prolific and well remembered individual going under the name of Eulenburg, it was said in no uncertain terms that the fictitious Arcadia and the actual Craven Mixture were in no way associated with the stories of Sherlock Holmes, and that the McClelland Tobacco Company, in offering their version of Arcadia as Dr. Watson's favorite tobacco, were guilty of perpetrating "arrant nonsense, and an egregious example of the lengths to which blenders will go, to say nothing of any value on their labels."

It was Mr. St. James-Tello's accusation that proved to be nonsense. "How could it possibly have anything to do with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional stories of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson?" that vitriolic gentleman asked.

Here's how.

Page 474 of the seminal Complete Sherlock Holmes, edited and with an introduction by Christopher Morley, story: the Crooked Man, scene: Dr. Watson's home, in which Holmes quips, "Hum! You still smoke the Arcadia mixture of your bachelor days, then! There is no mistaking that fluffy ash upon your coat." For further authority, let us look to the Annotated Sherlock Holmes, W.S. Baring-Gould's groundbreaking work of Holmesian scholarship. Here again on p. 225 of the one volume edition we see within the first few paragraphs of the Crooked Man, Holmes saying to Watson, "Hum! You still smoke the Arcadia mixture of your bachelor days, then!" In a more recent annotated edition of the Holmesian canon published by Norton in 2005, with notes by Mr. Leslie S. Klinger, we find in the Crooked Man, this time at the very top of p. 583 the once again definite assertion from the mouth of the Master himself that Dr. Watson can, in fact, be found to "still smoke the Arcadia mixture of your bachelor days, then!" And finally, I refer to p. 14 of Mr. Jack Tracy's The Encyclopedia Sherlockiana, Avenel, 1987. Under the heading of Arcadia the entry is given-- the name of Watson's favorite tobacco mixture (CROO).

Take a pinch of snuff, Mr. St. James-Tello, and acknowledge that I have scored over you in your example. (That was a reference to A Case of Identity, not that I had to tell anybody that.)

Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Early in my pipe smoking career (LOL!!!) I picked up this blend and really was unable to appreciate its quality. I recently picked up a tin and can now give it justice.

Appearance and Tin aroma: Yes, this has the trademark MCC tang. Smells earthy, musty, and spicy. The cut is a fine ribbon. The leaf is mostly dark with stoved and red VA leaf and darker oriental leaf.

Packing and Lighting: This is a bit wet upn opening. I like to load a pipe and let it sit for an hour or two before lighting. At that point, it lights fairly easily.

Initial Flavor: Delicious stoved VA/Oriental blend. A bit nippy from the start, though.

Mid-Bowl: If sipped, a wonderful journey. The flavor profile is similar to "VA Woods" by the same blended. Sweet and sour transistions abound and they mix wonderfully.

Bottom of Bowl: Not much of an increase in strength, but it ends with a dark grey mottled ash. There is quite a bit of moisture in the shank, though.

Overall: This is a delicious mid-strength oriental blend that is of high quality as to be expected by MCC. I wouldn't say this is going to be a regular for me, but definitely will keeep a tin or two in the cellar. Two notes of caution: 1. Smoke it slow or you will get tongue-bite, 2. The room note is great while smoking, but later is foul, like burned plastic. Smoke outside! Lastly, I found that if you smoke this blend, the aftertaste will not allow you to enjoy other Company's blends. I tried to smoke some Ashbury after smoking this and got a bitter, foul surprise! But this aftertaste is usually gone by the next day. Enjoy...

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah, the inevitable complaint on the absence of latakia. As my mom used to say, it's easier to add than take out. It's hard to find a good oriental without it, and this is one of them.

The McClelland sour note sure pinched my nose, though it's irrelevant to me. The Sherlock Holmes baloney is as well; I came for the orientals and what they bring.

Aromaticity and sweetness and limited nicotine characterize this blend, and it would have become my favorite of this type had I not found McConnell's Oriental. Arcadia is bland by comparison, requiring a half bowl to come up to speed. Still not a bad smoke and easier to find.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Upon opening the tin the smell of Frog Morton comes to mind immediately. However, there is the smoky component missing and the ribbons are just a bit lighter than FM.

Perfect moisture level to load and light. Took a couple of lights to get going, but after that no relights necessary. Kept lit with light tamping.

The smoke was very similar to FM, except again no latakia and hence not any of that smoky campfire flavor present. However, one gets the sweet, tangy, woodsy, incense like tones throughout the smoke. However, the flavor isn't as strong, bold, or as rich as FM. It's a nice creamy, mellow smoke that is very enjoyable. A must try (though that makes it difficult with the loss of McClellands)!

Pipe Used: Doc K Briar bent brandy

Purchased From: Morgan Hill Cigar and Wine

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton (Craftsbury Series).

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

McClelland - Arcadia (221b Series).

The blend's prominently a mixture of dark brown and black pieces, with just a few light specks. Most of the pieces are shag cut, there's only a couple of slightly coarser pieces. Moisture's impeccable.

The smoke: the cut enables simple igniting, and then the last line of the description here would serve as a good review: a rich Oriental mixture. The Orientals outweigh the Virginia, they're creamy, buttery, with a slightly woody/toasty edge. The Virginia gives a sweet touch, but is nowhere near as heavy. I note little fluctuation in flavour over the duration, it's similar from beginning to end. It burns perfect: consistent and cool.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: a little potent.

Arcadia? Although it's well made, I won't give it four stars as it isn't something I'd have as a go-to. So, three stars it is!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Dagner Poker

Age When Smoked: One month

Sheldon Richman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sheldon Richman (11)

I am starting to think that smoking Orientals without latakia is the pipe-smoking equivalent of kissing your sister. While smoking Arcadia and McC 2050, I find myself missing the latakia. Not very satisfying. Where's my Pirate Kake?

Pipe Used: Meerschaum and others

Age When Smoked: A few months old

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Similar Blends: McC 2050.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

An ok all day English, kind of one dimensional. It could have been the age I suppose, but it just seemed like a flat mild straight forward Latakia based Blend, I suppose that may have been what they were going for given what Black Shag is like. The only one I really like from this series is Honeydew

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow bent dublin

Purchased From: Sample from CPS box pass

EvetsNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EvetsNC (5)

I lean towards history and tradition when it comes to many things, including pipes and tobacco; that is the main reason I wanted to try this tobacco (i.e. because of its literary notoriety and its late 1800s/early 1900s history).

I found it to be very similar to Balkan Sobranie (well, in some of its current forms such as Blue Mountain or Black House since I don't believe I ever tried the original version), but a "lighter" version of it. Back in the day this was probably heads above the rest and so I can see why J. M. Barrie was crazy for it. However, since we are lucky to have an amazing array of amazing tobaccos to choose from these days, I would say this one is very good but not great.

Age When Smoked: new/2015 production

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (26)

Tried this mostly because I am a fan of Sherlock and the Doc. Not very impressed It burns easily and gentle on the tongue BUT as an English bland kinda fellow it left me knowing I could do better! JUT might be for those who are starting their exploring of Englishes hoo

Similar Blends: Tried this because being a fan of Sherlock and the doc., No very impressed . It burns easily but as I like English blend this left my a tad disappointed McClellends have some tasty blend on their shelf I really prefer . , Might be good If you are just starting English blends , hoo.

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (26)

coldmoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coldmoon (24)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Cellared this tobacco in Mason jar for 2 years. It has that ketchupy barbecuey smell to it in the tin, but as I stated earlier - I don't really mind that at all. Perfect moisture level right from the tin. Packs very easily. Lights and stays lit without problems. Very rarely had to relight. The taste is an interesting one. I can definitely taste sweetness from VAs but at the same time some sour notes come through. I have to say that I like the taste very much. Could bite if pushed too hard. This tobacco is a medium strength but it gets a bit stronger at the end of the bowl and the taste gets a bit peppery. The room note is not unpleasant at all. Been smoking this tobacco indoors without much complaint. This is one of the first oriental tobaccos for me. So take this review with a grain of salt. Will definitely keep this tobacco in my rotation. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Big Ben bent apple

Age When Smoked: Cellared for 2 years

Mike10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike10 (16)

Arcadia is a very good English blend rich with smoky-spicy flavors. Having purposely avoided ascertaining what its components were, it took me a little time to get used to, mistaking the smokiness of its flavoring to be a result of liberal seasoning with Latakia. While there is obviously Latakia in Arcadia, the more I smoked it the more I found its flavors more on the spicy and complex side, which would naturally result from greater use of oriental tobaccos.

Overall, Arcadia is very pleasant and nicely traditional. Passers-by wrinkled their noses at the room note several times, but more so found it "smoky" or "strong" rather than actually unpleasant. This is a tobacco that I can recommend without hesitation.

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Overwhelming

Let me preface this review by noting that I am not an English fan. I smoked this in 2001 when it first came out. The room aroma was akin to a campfire and the taste was horrible. Having said that, I have come to realize that's how most English blends smell. If you lean towards English blends, you'll probably enjoy this. Aromatic lovers need to stay away.

Its the strongest English blend I have ever tried and could only smoke a few bowls. However, I kept the tin for a while as sniffing the tobacco was useful in clearing out my sinuses.

Pipe Used: Brewster Billiard

Sgt_Fig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sgt_Fig (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

While I enjoy a broad range of tobaccos, a few remain as a standard by which I gauge others. This is one of them. While mood is a strong predictor of my tobacco choice, there are no bad situations where this blend, sitting in my "Cave" doesn't bring me joy and relaxation. A wonderful blend of legend and reality for me. I always day dream of my first reading of J.M. Barrie's masterpiece, My Lady Nicotine and the descriptive prose that captured my imagination even after all these years.

reedsteve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reedsteve (7)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The variety of opinion on the more subtle recipes really comes to to fore with blends such as Arcadia. Controversy over how other kinds of leaf besides latakia can produce that Lapsong Souchong aroma abounds. Problem with always choosing the most in your face "flavor" is that it most often ceases to be our favorite one year later. After too many decades of playing this game, I would say that Arcadia may not be many experts favorite, yet it is often returned to year after year for possessing a classic taste and subtle balance. Perhaps special versions of this kind of "thinking" will supplement or reverse the trend of nameing blends after singular oriental leaf of past fame . Not being able to satisfy our ever glorifying memory is the real game at play.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Again, another $10 wasted. I promise never to buy any more of McClellands products. The reviews are too predictable. Cheers!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I had tried this years ago, but had forgotten what it was like. This does have the McClelland ketchup smell, but not as strong as some I have tried from McC. It seems to be just right moisture wise for me to pack and smoke right out of the tin. It lights and stays lit easily enough. It produces a decent amount of smoke. I can see why this gets so many positive reviews here. It seems to pass the wife test, so it gets the pleasant rating from me. This smokes down to a nice ash at the end of the bowl without any gurgling at all. Definitely recommended.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Light smoke, bland taste. Burns well to a white ash, no tongue bite.McClelland' s ketchup smell is light. I gave away the rest after a few tries.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

succeful marriagefor the virginia orinetals,, latakia is there but i guess tht pinch aint generous,,any way i dnt like there dual impact,,its a sharp blend mks ur buds alerted forevery puff,,burns perfectly and have the oreintal tag to it,,but it is aint ablend iwould die without,,but would go back to one day thti cn promise

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

UPDATE:

Just opened a 4 year old tin. Age has been very kind to this tobacco! Very nice indeed.

----------------------------------------

07/02/2004

So far this is the first English type blend that I have enjoyed enough to want to purchase another tin. Maybe time is changing what I like or maybe it is just a very good middle of the road English. I have dedicated a pipe for this blend alone. It, I imagine, is exactly what Waston would have smoked. Possibly even Holmes from time to time. It burns cool and clean with nice plumes of smoke. A nice light Earthy aroma. Something for outdoors, as if the wife would ever allow it indoors. It is easy to get caught up in daydreaming while smoking this blend. As much as I like this, it may slowly turn me over to an English lover. We will see. If you smoke aromatics and want a change of pace, I recommend this without reservation.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

I held off trying this blend for quite a while, afraid it would just be another run-of-the-mill English. And I couldn't bear the thought of trying something that even vaguely attempted to replicate the fictional "Arcadia" (which, as I'm sure others here have noted, was based on the very real "Craven Mixture") only to find that it was nondescript.

I recommend setting prejudices and unrealistic expectations aside -- after all, no blend made with current tobacco harvests can begin to duplicate a blend that existed 100 years ago, and which certainly changed over time as well (hence two quite different modern blends that claim to be based on Craven Mixture: "Arcadia" and Cornell & Diehl's "Yale Mixture") -- and simply enjoying this one.

If you've sampled any of the Frog Mortons or Butera's Royal Vintage: Latakia #2, you'll experience some familiar notes. But the Frogs (at least the ones I've tried) highlighted sweetness in their blends, and Arcadia is a generally dry smoke that only has an occasional touch of (natural, not added) sweetness. And, to my palate, the Butera Latakia #2 blend exudes wonderful aroma while failing to deliver flavor; Arcadia succeeds nicely in both areas.

So much has been written about this already, that I don't feel compelled to deliver a point-by-point appraisal. I'll just say that this is a fine, very well-balanced Oriental blend that's well worth exploring. It doesn't knock you out with Orientals -- this is no Presbyterian or Red Rapparee -- and it doesn't have as much of the exotic latakia component as Yenidje Highlander (though it wouldn't surprise me if there is Syrian latakia in Arcadia). It's just a very well-crafted medium-weight English. And while that might sound like dozens of other blends, I think McClelland's handling of the Virginias constitutes almost a brand identity (like the basic difference between Coke and Pepsi). . . and I think that sets Arcadia apart from much of the rest of the English pack.

FWIW: This sampling was based on a five-year-old tin, from 2003. If that one tin was any indication, Arcadia will age very well, at least for the short term.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My interest in Arcadia was piqued a few years ago when I read the article about it in Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine. The folks at McClelland had found an antique sample of Arcadia in the hands of a collector. They acquired the sample and carefully disassembled it strand by strand, examining each piece by magnifying glass, and separating them into separate piles noting the identity and proportions of each component. In this way, they were able to reconstruct the original recipe of this classic.

Maybe that's more than you wanted to know, but it caught my fascination, and wanted to try this blend as a means of travelling back in time to accompany Dr. Watson to 221B Baker Street.

I found Arcadia to be just what it promised to be, an extremely mild but pleasant and agreeable smoke. Just like the sort of chap an eccentric like Holmes would want as a daily foil. Although not the most exciting of blends, its at least as interesting as Dr. Watson who, although not known for being the most flamboyant personality in Victorian London, was not without a few surprises of his own from time to time.

To date, the 62 previous reviewers have voted overwhelming in favor of Arcadia, 75% giving it 3 or 4 stars.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

When I took up the pipe again a few months ago, Arcadia was recommended to me by one of my tobacconists. It was a good reintroduction to Oriental blends as it stays lit without trouble and burns down to a nice ash. It is interesting enough with a nice room note. It has no bite and leaves little aftertaste. In all a pleasant tobacco although, after finishing the tin, it doesn't make my regular rotation. There are just too many more interesting options out there.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin,I was greeted by an aroma of lightly spiced beef jerky which, for obviously carnivorous recessive gene reasons, turned me on. The product seemed to have a balanced moisture content, lit well and burned smoothly. Smoke this one slowly, though, as it tends to dry out one's mouth if one is a constant puffer(as am I)...yet it does not bite the tongue appreciably even if you do create a pipe furnace. Nice smoky aroma, and a wonderful smoke when one is in a reflective mood, perhaps puffing on a churchwarden pipe with this mixture. A masterful combination of Virginia and Oriental tobaccos, and arguably the best of the 221-B Series. McClelland hit a grand slam home run with this blend.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I just had the coldest smoke this morning.  I dressed to the hilt, the cold-weather version of high heels and diamonds, and took my pipe onto the deck with my pad of paper to ruminate over grant proposal specific aims as I puffed.  The pipe was the Tinsky briar hawkbill.  The tobacco was the Arcadia mixture.  The temperature was below zero °F when I went out and was 2°F when I came in.  I had a cup of coffee, which I was obligated to drink quickly before it froze.  Ice formed from my nostril breath on the pipe's shank and stem.  The tobacco was difficult to keep lit.  Any smoke that accidentally went down the throat was somewhat sharp, but it was fine in the nose and mouth.  The flavor was great, however.  I really like this tobacco, and this pipe is now smoking very well.  (I have a theory that smoking a pipe in the very cold helps break it in.  My theory has no real physics behind it other than the temperature differential between the hot burning tobacco and the cold air helps re-orient the molecular structure and diffuse the tobacco essence into the pipe.  This may be entirely fantasy.)  The pipe at first seemed to absorb the flavor and body of the tobacco, and is now delivering a little of it back.  The Arcadia mixture smells smoky in the tin, but apparently does not contain Latakia (at least it is not mentioned, and several reviewers say so).  It may be that the treatment of the oriental therein imparts a smoky aroma.  The smoke is all tobacco flavor, and rich and deep, with a nice complement of spicy oriental.  It has a sweet taste on the tongue, not like and aromatic, just tobacco-sweet.  The finish is excellent, the flavor builds like a good virginia.  All in all, the coldest smoke was a success!

Update: I have since tried Arcadia in a number of pipes and it also sings in a pecan pipe with a graphite bowl, and in a Tinsky Canadian. This tobacco is somewhat of an acquired taste, like scotch I suppose (which I learned to drink many years ago now). The more I smoke it the more I like it. The blenders have not only done their research on an interesting old tobacco blend, they have put their finest tobaccos in this one.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Medium Very Mild Medium Strong

Better to leave the mystery in the tin to Holmes Old man. Or sned your tin to Nigel Bruce. Nice idea for a selling point that is Directed to the Sherlockian Fan. The Blend is Bitter to much Oriental. Smokes wet and hard to keep lit.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The best of the 221b series but that's not hard to achieve. It's a decent enough smoke but not a must have for me. I was honestly quite dissapointed in this entire series. Oh well, can't win them all! A decent little oriental worth a puff.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

This interesting put-together tries to capture an old English recipe that, like Balkan Sobraine, is technically "lost" but can still be mimicked accurately. Supposedly. Just thought I'd let you know that tidbit. :)

Now then, I find it nicely light and airy, a kind of "dry grey" smoke that, were it a photograph, would be a black-and-white documentary image of an airplane propellor with no people anywhere in the image. Kind of "just the facts ma'am." For that reason, it almost has no experience to it at all, just a technically accurate expression of Syrian and Virginia. It's the most like a cigarette of any tobacco I'll smoke, though it doesn't have the sticks and weeds and seeds or the tarry, mal-constructed smell and taste of the cheap tobaccos of typical cheap cigarette manufacture.

Also, the ash is absolutely gorgeous. Arcadia disappears into a perfect white powder with almost no unburnt leaves, no dark spots, little goopy buildup. Would be absolutely useless for trying to pre-char a new pipe, it almost would leave nothing behind but the smooth pristine inside of the bowl just as when you bought it before it was smoked at all!

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Enjoyable smoke, and a very easy one. This tobacco seems made to put you at ease: easy to pack, light and smoke. Notwithstanding the shag cut, it burns cool and relatively slow. Thankfully, the usual McClelland ketchup smell is very subtle here.

Imagine Royal Yacht without the added flavoring. Add a good amount of Orientals and you have Arcadia. At first light I thought I tasted a wisp of Latakia but I think that it is just the rich Oriental tobacs. Those puffers who dislike cigarettish aromas should probably avoid this blend. Very satisfying and enjoyable though probably too strong for an all-day smoke.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

this blend is light and smokey and burns very well. It is not strong of flavor but still interesting. I like the fluffyness and the easy going impression it gives. It is however just a tad too strong for all day smoke. I like the orientals and it is not strong like matured virginias. A new kind of category that I quite like. Not an English as one would expect from most blends such as squadron leader or penzance yet still has many of the qualities that make english blends so interesting. Great burning qualities but can get a bit hot if puffed too much yet no bite. May get a bitter puff at times but this is passing and not to be fretted over. The room note is tolerable but not very pleaseing to the non-piper as it is not camp fireish or sweet but dont let this keep you from trying it. I like it very much and it is good when you dont want a latakia english blend or an aromatic it falls in a midle grould not sweet not musty I dont know how to describe it other than to say if you try it you will at least be pleased with an intersting and very well behaved blend that does not become boreing or overbearing. A review that I guess doesnt say much other than do try it as it is unique and I think it will agree with many of you as it has will me. I have added it to my regulars along with squadron leader, old dublin (english), penzance (class of its own), sunset breaze and bluenote ( aromatic ) this will give you an idea of my taste if yours are similar then you might like this too.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Hate to be a dissenter, but I found this blend to be full of hot air (i.e. steam)! It truly held very little interest for me. The smoke had little or no body and the burn got me. I smoked my way through a whole tin, and although I found some of the early morning smokes pleasant, overall I won't be buying more. Give me Skiff or EMP anyday.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

There seems to be a considerable range of experience and taste with Arcadia. Some find it hard to light, some say it's easy. Some smell the McClelland ketchup, others don't. Some say it's sweet, others say sour. I can't tell if these are just different impressions from different people or if McClelland has some sort of quality control problem with this one. I find Arcadia to be inconsistent in taste -- even within a single bowlful.

Here is my experience. I found no characteristic ketchup odor when I opened the tin; in fact, the pouch aroma was quite faint. The tobacco was cut in a shag and was quite dry for a McClelland blend. (Just about the way I like it, actually.) You don't really need to pack it at all, it just pours into the pipe bowl. I found it to light easily and burn steadily without many relights.

I like many McClelland Virginia blends, but I am still undecided about this one. The taste changes erratically for me. Sometimes it's just muddy, as an earlier reviewer reported, and sometimes I taste sweet Va tobacco. Other times a sharp, sour taste comes through that some may like but I do not. Also, the turkish tobacco in this blend seems sometimes to impart a cigarette-type taste sometimes that I do not like. This may be the source of the muddiness.

I will finish what I have and probably not buy any more of this stuff. There are too many delicious tobaccos waiting for me to spend time on one that only pleases me intermittently.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

One of life's great pleasures is opening up a new tin o'tabac, keenly anticipating some ephemeral scent which man has never before encountered. That said, upon opening a tin of Arcadia, this reviewer nearly hit the deck, courtesy of the "McLelland Effect", or "nausea-inducing-stench". Once suitably recovered, I let this tin dry for 24 hours, then loaded up my Sasieni 4 dot straight for a test run. Initial thoughts: Interesting...is there latakia in here? Stronger than I would have thought, but with the tin smell plutonium could have been hidden...strange white ash, flavor getting better. Over the next 7 days I smoked the tin up and while it is still interesting, there isn't anything memorable enough to cause me to run out and buy more. NB-significant other kept muttering that the room note smelled like "German Cigarettes", while I just found it to be murky.

Grim Chieftain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grim Chieftain (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an outstanding pipe tobacco. The taste improves with every puff. One of my favorite McClelland blends. This combination of Virginia and Oriental tobacco was masterfully blended. I have stocked up on this one!

BronxBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BronxBriar (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Sorry to go against the tide of the majority opinion....but I didn't like it, would not recommend it, and will not smoke it again.

It's a vanilla shake without the syrup, it's all hat and no cattle,....well you get the idea.