A ready rubbed tobacco, manufactured from a selection of choice, ripe Virginia tobaccos, which gives Virginia No.1 a mild, sweet smoke.

Notes: Introduced in 1965.

BrandMac Baren

Strength
Taste

2.7
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Virginia No.1 is a beautiful, bright, golden broken flake, tin aroma and flavor is wonderful! Kind of dried cherries, with sweet honey/candy note, the smoke is sweet, fruity with hay flavor and it is a mild Virginia.

I am not sure if this tobacco is naturally sweet (as claimed in Mac baren website) or if there is some sweetener added on. However, in order to verify the claims about the "overwhelmed sweetness" and the "hot burns" of this Virginia, which has been repetitively mentioned by other reviewers, who prefers "naturally sweet Virginia", I have done a trial test by smoking 2 pipes at the same time, VA No.1 side to side with "the natural" Marlin Flake and I found that MF was definitely much sweeter than VA No.1. and of course, the bowl burns much hotter.

Virginia No.1 is good examples of how an excellent blend can be severely down rated in a snow ball mechanism of negative reviews on tobaccoreviews.com rating system. In fact, it?s all about a Placebo Effect when a reviewer is judging a blend, his judgment in largely influenced by the brand name, the price, the tin art, the opinion or other reviewers, his negative or positive expectations, the blend rank in the stars rating , and so many other factors and considerations.

Virginia No.1 is simply the best Virginia out there and it is my favorite Virginia smoke, this is a fact that I knew before even the existence of the internet or the tobaccoreviews website, this is what I have been smoking all day long since many years, I have tried most Virginia tobaccos available in the market and found Virginia No.1 was the best, I orders it in 1 pound plastic container or in 100g tin, I don?t recommend buying it in pouch or in bulk since I noticed the quality was much inferior.

My rating:

Bad Good = Excellent * Exceptional

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Mild Extra Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I now know what we did with the left over Napalm form Vietnam. This stuff will flat out burn your taste buds clean off. It is a shame as the tobacco appears to be of the highest quality and I hate to be so down on a blend from a company that produces so many fine blends. I actually bured the rest of the contents in my fireplace as an offering to the gods of fire. Hot stuff!!!

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I wanted to try a straight virginia and decided to give this a spin. Upon opening the pouch I was meet with nice aroma and was looking forward to the smoke. Afterwards my tounge felt like it had been run over by a mac truck, I was smoking way to fast and outside on a windy day. I took it a bit slower the next smoke. Not bad at all. Wont be smoking on a daily basis, but as the weather gets warmer its nice to expand the taste buds to the virginias. I am now mixing this blend with a little full Balken flake. The result is quite delicious.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Virginia No. 1 is a good Virginia blend. The taste is sweet like dried cherries. The aroma is delightful. The bite is minimal for a Virginia tobacco. I really like this blend and will probably come back to it. The light casing adds a nice dimension. A nice, no nonsense VA.

UPDATE:

This has become a staple in my rotation. In fact, I smoke more of this blend than anything else. This is simply the best Virginia tobacco out there when you factor in flavor, smoking qualities, price (I buy it in bulk), and ability to age. Never mind the fact that you don't have to rub it out, pack your pipe and you are ready to go. The smoke is sweet and has notes of figs and cinnamon. The aroma is wonderful. It ages great! I have some of this that has be aging for almost three years and it is the best!

I have tried a lot of Virginias from almost every maker, the negative reviews here are largely unwarranted. This is as good as any Virginia on the market. As with all MacBaren blends, this has a stigma put upon it. However, just as with all of MacBaren's standard blends, it is of the finest quality and a delight to smoke.

If you like Virginia, buy some VA #1.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

UPDATE: It's funny how buying a new pipe can lead me to try an older blend again, but that's how I started smoking Virginia No. 1 again. I bought an Ardor that looks kind of like a bee hive, and this honey-sweetended tobac came to mind.

Other reviewers on this site have recommended that one should let MacBaren blends dry a bit before smoking, pack it pretty loosely, and slow down one's smoking pace. I followed this in the past with other MacBaren blends and have had great results. Anyway, I had a 5-year aged tin, and I smoked right throught it. Well, the aged tin was magnificent. It was naturally sweet and I really liked it. I tried a new tin of Virginia No. 1, just to see if it was the aging that led to such a great smoke. The new tin smoked fantastic, too.

I have now smoked through yet another tin, and also throught many other Virginia blends to see how they compare to Virginia No. 1. Surprisingly, I like this blend more than every other Virginia blend I tried, including some prominent and very highly regarded Virginias and VaPers. Virginia No. 1 is sweet and light, yet I find it satisfying. I like it so much that I am finding it hard to get back to smoking my usual English/Balkan blends. I guess those other blends, which are now in Mason-type jars, will just have to wait!

A friend of mine once told me that you need to learn how to smoke a blend, and that you need to be more patient. This advice dovetails with the above-mentioned comments on this site from other reviewers. I am really glad that other reviewers gave us their tips on how to smoke MacBaren blends I am now a convert; in my opinion this time-tested blend is tops! I smoke this almost every day now and look forward to every bowl.

Virginia No.1 is definitely Number One with me!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: This is kind of a fickle tobacco; sometimes hot, sometimes cool. Sometimes sweet, sometimes bitter. Sometimes requires few matches, sometimes many. A pretty decent weed but even at its best it is monotone, and just too inconsistent. I'll get around to finishing the tin. But my taste buds say that MacBaren's HH Mature Virginia is superior.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

See lustra's review above, but stop right before the part about this being irresistable. There is obvious quality in this tobacco, you just can't get near it. Picture a really nice bottle of red wine, from a Grand Cru chateau, a great year. Now add some really nasty blackberry brandy to it. Get the idea with this? This is just about the hottest tobacco I have yet experienced. The wonder of it all is that MacBaren hasn't put out a non-cased version of this, since everyone seems to think this stuff would be better in its natural form. I actually threw this tin away, a very rare thing for me (that was before PIF was around...)

This is a very good, lightly topped Virginia. The tobacco itself is somewhat rubbed out broken flake and came at a great moisture level for me. I did nothing to prepare it and loaded the pipe straight from the tin.

Smoked, there is a honey flavor and a whiff of a spice I can't put my finger on. There is that citrus and hay you get with the sweet in a Virginia blend. It all works well. The flavors intensify as I go through the bowl. If you like Virginias and don't mind a little topping, I predict you would like this a lot.

This tobacco gets mixed reviews and the common complaint seems to be that it burns hot. I did not have a problem with this and found it easy to smoke slowly. If anything it burned cool for me and was easy to keep lit. As an advantage for the all-day or nicotine-sensitive smoker, this has a good flavor and is fairly mild in vitamin N.

This is a solid 3 on the rating scale. I am puzzled by the "burns hot" comments. Maybe this is groupthink, and there were "me too" comments after an early negative eval. Maybe it is differences in body chemistry.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)

UPDATE: Couldn't help but noticing that 4 stars had become my default rating so I decided to do updates. When I came to this one there's only one thing I can think to say. What was I thinking? True to the brand, this stuff bites like a kicked dog and the taste probably resembles what smoking an orange or lemon peel would be like. While it is certainly true that straight virginias are much more high maintenance than my beloved burlies, this one truly abuses the privlege and technique just doesn't seem to matter. I even mixed some of this with 8% perique and aged it for a bit over a year. Still it barely exceeds piss poor moving into the low end of mediocre. If you insist on a straight Virginia, there are much better out there, Old Gowrie, SG Full Virginia Flake, and St. James Flake (a VA/PER) to name a few

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Being primarily a burley smoker, my friendly neighborhood B&M talked me into a round of Virginia #1, to be honest, Virginia smokers seem to be such a fanatical lot, I was curious to see what all the fuss was about. For a burley smoker, initially at least, there was an "off" taste to this blend. Not a bad or unpleasant taste just not what I was used to. A very odd, variation between the grassy taste and the citrus, sweet and sour taste, neither of which I had ever encountered in a burley. Light up through about half way down the bowl I thought "Gee, this is....different" by the time I had finished my first bowl I thought, "I could probably warm up to this." Well, that was about 3 ounces of this stuff ago and warm up to it I have, it has taken a spot in my regular rotation and the different taste is one I have grown to like. I enjoy this tobacco a lot and can see myself returning to it often. No, I've not turned my back on my beloved burlies and can't imagine becoming a Virginia smoking tobacco snob but the truth is that Virginia is a nice change of pace from Burley and/Latakia blends that constitute a more predictable portion of my tobacco regimen. I may not smoke Virginia #1 daily but there are days when this is all I want to smoke and on those days I consistently marvel at how nice and tasty a blend it really is. This is Virginia #1's niche in my rotation. If I smoked it all the time it probably wouldn't be near as good to me as it is but employing it in this way seems to make it very enjoyable and a good intro to Virginias in general. While I didn't experience the severe tongue bite of other reviewers, I did find this blend much fussier than the old school burlies I'm used to. It was very sensitive to how fast you smoked it or how it was packed. If puffed too quickly it became hot and if packed too loosely it would become a bit bitey and fussy. This being the case, it demands a bit more attention and definitely doesn't make my "mowing the lawn" tobacco list (this is mainly the old school burley blends PA, Granger, Edgeworth and the like that are more set it and forget it). Overall though, I found this a good change of pace smoke as an occassional treat. More importantly though, I think it probably peaked my curiousity to do more indepth experimentation with Virginia blends (Old Gowrie is probably next) These lighter, Virginia blends will probably become more routinely smoked as the spring and summer roles along.

Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Unflavored Virginias that cross the boundaries of subtlety into blandness. It delivers its share of nicotine, but that's where the pros end.

Not a particularly terrible tongue biter, but the lack of taste leads to overpuffing, with dire consequences.

If you enjoy Virginias and you're a fan of Mac Baren, try HH Mature Virginia. If the latter isn't the case, you have dozens of better choices.

sge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sge (2)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant

Rather a strange one this. I smoked the first bowl and thought 'Meh, a decent virginia smoke but nothing special' but over the next few days I found myself reaching for the tin more and more often. Ten days later and the the 50g tin is looking rather empty.

There is a sublety to this blend which does not emerge immediately, but it's mild enough to smoke at any time of the day. I found it tasted a little better in a meerschaum pipe for some reason.

It does smoke hot, as some other reviews have said, and there is a constaint threat of bite but I don't mind a tobacco which takes a little more work.

I would certainly buy again and regret not buying in bulk.

Pipe Used: Peterson 'Golden Princess' Meerschaum

Purchased From: liberté 56, Luxembourg

erthbound0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erthbound0 (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is a solid 3 star tobacco. The taste was good, but more mild than I usually like. There is some tongue bite, but not too much. It smoked well.

Normally, a tobacco like this would be a one tin and done deal. However, there is one thing about this blend that makes it very worthwhile, the note. It smells phenomenal and this really adds to the flavor. The room note was very pleasant. This is a great non-aromatic tobacco to smoke around other people. If you are conscious about those around you and want them to have a good experience too, this is the tobacco for you. A Virginia with a room note better than many aromatics. It is for this reason I could see people smoking this blend all day every day, especially if they live at home with a wife etc. If room note is important to you, give this blend a try,

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (55)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm going to bypass describing the look texture and smell of VA. 1. Others have already done so and described it well. I care how it smokes, so this is the brass- tax-bottom-line of my experience. MILD. VERY MILD and Simple. This is not an aged VA and is basically a purely rubbed out flake of straight VA. No thrills. No depth.

Mac Baren had to sugar water it to enhance the flavor or in other words, give it flavor at all. Very mild with added sweetener to help it along. This blend has the ability to scorch the tongue of someone with little to no puffing skills. It acted like it was going to bite me but it never did. Just leaves a weird coating on your tongue. I will finish this out, but would not purchase it again.

Update review: Oct 20, 2014. So far there are only 2 times I went back and edited my review by adding another star. I'll be a man about it and say I've been enjoying VA. No1. lately. I've picked this blend back up and I've been surprised. The blend IS mild but has a great aroma and a tasty sweetness to it that make it a pleasure to smoke. I'm adding another star.

Pipe Used: Peterson XL305 Peterson 312

Purchased From: Ansteads Tobacco

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (115)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good VA. A touch of sweetness, particularly when sipped, with the spice most noticed on the retrohale. VA/brown notes more pronounced than Royal Yacht, which comes across as consistently sweeter, more full, and stronger. VA No. 1 burns clean and smooth through the bowl. 4-*.

Pipe Used: Italian Basket 35+ years old, MM

Age When Smoked: Tin dated SEP 2013

Purchased From: CI

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This s##t really bites and I mean really HARD worst tongue bite ever. But if one ignores the tongue bite it was a decent Virgina blend

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (18)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I really enjoy this tobacco. The more I smoke of it, the more I like it.

TIN: Smells a lot like dry hay, but not terribly strong. The tobacco has a perfect moisture level...I only needed one light.

TASTE: A mild/medium blend, naturally sweet and pleasant. It isnt complex. It isnt groundbreaking. It's just plain good tobacco. Puffing too hard may deliver some tongue bite but relaxing and taking it slow is a good remedy. I'm pretty sensitive to nicotine, and to me this was a medium nic blend. The flavor also wasnt sour like some VA's tend to be. I have to say, when you puff this slowly, it produces some wonderful room notes. This is also one of those blends that gets better as you smoke through the bowl. It developed a rich quality not unlike dark chocolate or toast.

This for me is a great all-day blend. It is terribly consistent through the entire bowl, which is much appreciated. I will say though, you will smell like smoke after enjoying this blend, so if you dont want to communicate that you're a smoker by your scent, you want to smoke this after you're done for the day.

Oh and in closing, if you want the best experience, smoke in a cob.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)

After reading certain bad AND good reviews about this tobacco, I decided to make up my mind about it and to give it a try. I must say that I was very satisfied with Virginia No.1. It's a straight, mild and sweet Virginia of high quality and thats exactly what I'm looking for. The moment you open the pouch, you are welcomed by a decent, slightly sweet, hay- like smell. Very sympathic and somehow very present, but not overwhelming. Packing goes easily, as being a ready- rubbed one. Just don't stuff it too tightly! Beautiful, medium blonde, broken flakes. Its moisture level was very good, not really dry, but not too moist either. Despite all the negative reviews concerning its burning qualities, I had no problems to light it (twice worked pretty well) and to keep it lit. It burned down evenly AND COOL. I didnt have any problems with tongue bite, but I didn't push it too much, as I'm a slow smoker, smoking the pipe for relaxation and enjoyment. Taste is medium, rather sweet and full, giving the distinctive, natural- sweet note of a beautifully selected Virginia. I detected some flavouring, but it matched the tobacco taste very well. It offers a pleasant room note, reflecting the smoking taste beautifully. After smoking, I wanted one more bowl, which is unusual for me, as I dont smoke for nicotine. I find it a bit strange that some smokers have problems to handle it. I experienced it very positive. Seems to be a more demanding blend. Might become an everyday smoke for me. Now I know why this is a Mc Baren classic. 4 stars.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This baby is Suh-weeet! Yeah it's a MacBaren's and it'll smoke hot on ya. However after 'learning' how o smoke VA it's wonderful. When I first opened the tin I was impressed. The stuff smelled realy nice. I'm not very good at labeling aromas but after reading several reviews on different things I have to say it's a sweet, dreamy, haylike aroma in the tin. The really nice part that I like is when firing up a bowl of VA #1 I get a nice full feeling/atmosphere, calming and very pleasant and comforting. Continuing to smoke 'er slowly/sipping/breath smoke style, this blend just keeps on giving. VA #1 needs some drying time in my opinion, almost to slightly crispy then she'll spark to life. I'm giving this one a strong 4 STARS.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Almost finished my first 100g tin...just bought another today. I love the stuff! I delayed opening the tin due to reviews talking about bite. Actually I found for a VA and a MacB blend this was very smooth...it's a great price, and a great blend. Don't let the Anti-MacBaren squad put you off buying this simple, honest and fruity VA. I didn't find it too sweet either, just right on the sugar level....top marks to MacB...again....dub

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Another Mac Baren blend that tastes good, smells good but bites like no other. Lovely tobacco that will have your tongue fried within minutes.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (30)

although this is obviously good quality tobacco i found very little variation in flavor and was not impressed at all with the "bright side" of va. flake flavor that it did have. i also found it to be a tongue scorcher. as for packing,lighting,and keeping lit- no problems.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have tried several of Mac Baren?s offerings and I hadn?t previously found anything I particularly liked, aside from Dark Twist Roll Cake. I don?t typically smoke aromatics, though smoke Haddo?s Delight by GL Pease, Luxury Twist Flake by Stokkebye and Hartwell?s Evening Stroll. Certain SG and G&H Lakeland scented varieties score high points with me. #1 Virginia seems topped or cased with some vague slightly artificial tasting honey flavoring used in many of their products with maybe a hint of whiskey.

Appearance: This blend has a beautiful presentation, being comprised of Bright and Golden Virginias in a ready rubbed format uniform in cut.

Tin aroma: This is a mixture of matured Virginias, with a light topping of artificial tasting honey. There seems to be a complete lack of complexity There is a slightly nutty quality as well, together, it is a fairly nice smelling combination, though not something that I'd say I have a strong preference for. The tin aroma also tells me to proceed with caution as with many other Mac Baren offering, this could be tongue bite in a tin.

The sample I'm reviewing was gifted by a friend and dates from July of 2003, I had hopes that the amount of aging would help tame the tongue fry I'd experienced smoking this in the past, no such luck. The pipe is a Jan Zeaman POTY 2004

This tobacco definitely benefits from air drying for at least ½ hour before smoking. Lighting is usually temperamental seeming to require repeated application of flame to get going, once going try to keep your smoking pace way down, as tongue fry is nearly inevitable. As expected, the initial flavor is very tangy VA and very sweet (almost sickening) and this develops into what I term ?monochrome?. The topping/casing agent never yields it?s dominance but allows the monochrome nature of the Virginia to come through. The topping/casing never completely leaves, adding a sweetness and a slightly generic and artificial taste to an otherwise natural presentation.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and while this blend is not complex, just drones on an on in monochrome getting hotter and hotter as the smoke progresses. There are subtle changes here and there but hardly what I've come to expect in a 'pure Virginia mixture'. While not particularly strong in nicotine, there is plenty of flavor and body to this mixture. The tobaccos used in this mixture are of obvious quality, why then Mac Baren chose such an odd topping/casing agent is beyond me. It seems to be a nearly uniform choice in toppings for Mac Baren.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the strength of this mixture has built to it's peak of flavors and fullness. The pervasive sweetness and artificial taste is somewhat annoying, often masking what appear to be fine quality Virginia tobaccos and constant threat of tongue fry does not help. It has so much going for it, that what little I hold against it is probably not enough to bother most smokers. There are way too many other Very Fine Virginia mixtures out there for me to waste any more time trying to enjoy this.

Supplemental Notes: I would recommend this to seasoned Virginia smokers for a change of pace smoke. If you are looking for a true Pure Virginia, look elsewhere, this isn't one. Rating for those interested in numbers *

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't agree with the negative reviewers of this tobacco. I find this tobacco to be delightfully tasty and sweet. According to Mac Baren's website the tobacco is naturally sweet and not cased with honey as some would tend to believe. I personally enjoy this sweetness and the toastiness that develops towards the middle of the bowl.

The consistency of the rubbed out flake is perfect in my oppinion and I have not been bitten anymore than any other virginia tobacco out there. Go slow and enjoy and you won't have any problems.

This tobacco stayed lit remarkably well and I had no problem in getting down to the bottom of the bowl.

My particular batch was an attractive golden-amber colored.

I highly recommend if you like the more sweet virginias.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

I consider myself to be an experienced Virginia smoker in all of its formats, be they ribbon, ready rubbed, flake and all of its delightful breedings...red, bright, stoved, brown, golden...

To my palate, this is the tobacco equivalent of Globalistic Warminating. For those of you in Rio Linda, this means HOT.

Not just the bite factor, which is significant, but also in the bowl warming realm, which is off the charts trying to keep this lit. I've tried it dried to the point of being brittle, breath smoked it. You name it. It still burns hot.

Good raw material, handled with professionalism. Just not to my liking.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I've written a few other reviews on Mac Baren Tobaccos, and have come to the conclusion that you should give their products a wee bit of time to dry out, before smoking them. The tin I bought of this Mac B. Blend is no exception. Upon opening the tin, I noted a scent, not unlike Ketchup, kind of a vinegary smell. It didn't taste that way though, in fact it was milder in flavor than what I was hoping for. It rubs out easy enough, and packs well. I didn't have any trouble lighting this up straight out of the tin. One pre-light, then a tamped re-light was all I needed, as I started to smoke a medium sized bowl of this blend, till the tongue-bite began to rear it's ugly head. I'm gonna let this one sit for awhile, before I give it a Yay or Nay rating...

2/10/08 Well, I'm back and I have to say again, that this stuff wouldn't smoke cool, even if you packed your pipe in ice for a week. Besides the tongue bite, I just don't find this to be a flavorable tobacco. The flavor's too mild, and the tongue bite is just awful. Other reviewers have said they detected no tongue bite. Well the tin I have is a fire-brand from Hell. I've tried this stuff in several different pipes, all to no avail. Hot, hotter, scorched beyond words...

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I consider myself a fan of Mac Baren tobbacos, being a regular smoker of some of their blends. I tried this in a pouch initially and whilst I wasn't overwhelmed by it, I considered it a reasonable, good value, everyday virginia that did the basics - decent consistent sweet flavour, not too strong and little bite.

I subsequently bought a tin of it and it seems to be a different tobacco. Drier, with a more monotone "salty" flavour that burns exceedingly hot. I was reading a good book and before I knew it the tobacco had bubbled the finish on the high gloss Vauen billiard I was smoking it in. I quickly dumped the load and let it cool. The pipe was a well worn number of mine with good cake that I have smoked many tobaccos in - luckily the finish didn't blister and pop but now it no doubt has a weak spot.

Not to be put off I next tried No1 in an unvarnished, stained pipe. Sipping the smoke still made it burn uncomfortably hot to the touch. This stuff is just too much hassle.

Warning - this tobacco can seriously damage your pipes.

UPDATE - I dried some of this tobacco out overnight and it was better - smoked a lot cooler and less harshly but still a slightly acidic dry smoke

TeeBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TeeBee (19)

I really like pure virginia, especially the sweet ones, and this could be one of those. But this one don't really taste that much and the tongue bite is really cruel. I don't know whats wrong with McB but they do have a problem with producing a baccy that don't make you feel like sticking your tongue in melted led. It is a mystery to me that they are the biggest producer of pipe tobacco

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

This nuclear concoction has fried my tonsils more than once. The taste is great, although on the mild side. I have no problem in packing or lighting it, but I now believe I would have to be comatose in order to keep it from biting. Too bad,,,, a nice, quality,and easily available tobacco that I can't come to terms with.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A cloyingly sweet Danish-style topping which happens to be sprayed onto ready- rubbed(!) sub-par (musky, bitter) virginia tobacco. Whatever this is, it was not blended by a VA lover, and I will not buy it again if I can avoid it.

Sumosized Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sumosized (7)

This tobacco gave me a very rough start. It bit me every time I lit it up. Once I let it dry out a good bit, and I puffed very slow, I enjoyed the sweet taste it provided. However, I still had a hard time keeping Virginia #1 burning.

As a newbie, I have developed a taste for Virginia's, but this will likely be my last tin of this variety.

I will revisit this tobacco on a later date. Maybe with some experience under my belt and some jar time, I'll have a different opinion. As for now, I do not recommend this for a newbie.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Update: 06/24/07 I just finished a recently purchased tin. It's hard to believe this was VA #1. The tongue bite was awful. I thought my tongue was on fire. The tobacco harsh and bitter. What did they do to this mixture? I really doubt I will ever buy it again.

Original review: Every so often I get a taste for Virginia #1. At $ 10 for a 100 gr tin, plus driving 30 miles one way to purchase it at a tobacco shop far away, the cost exceeds the pleasure. However, sometimes, when you gotta have VA #1, you gotta have it.

Very light, sweet flavor. Age it a bit, and it becomes an even better smoke. Recommended.

Wish it was more available.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)

This is just what I've been looking for in a summer smoke- lighter than my usual red Virginias but still tasty. Virginia #1 has a similar citrus tanginess as the Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture, but the golden Virginias are much lighter than the Mixture. I also find this to be less sweet than the Mac Baren Virginia Flake, and haven't had problems with either of them biting. For me, this is a perfect smoke on a summer morning.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried to smoke this stuff for years now but no matter what I do, I cannot change or modify this blowtorch. I've tried age in the tin, perique, pressing and even Dubeck but to no avail. The first third of the bowl leaves me with the knowledge of what it must be like to smoke newly cut hay. Just at the moment where I'm ready to give it up, I do get a sweet Virginia taste that it really quite pleasant. By this time, my mouth has been bitten so badly so as to make everything else seem inadequate to justify the price I've paid. I will not do this again.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a CAO Dunhill Man Pasha

hazmat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hazmat (6)

When I was in that "tweener" stage of moving from all-aromatic blends to trying out more "real tobacco" blends, VA #1 was suggested by my pipe-smoking mentor. Out for an evening of imbibing good liquor and enjoying a good pipe, I gave it a whirl and was interested.. so much so that the next day I bought one of the 100g tins. This was an immediate mistake, as the tobacco right out of the can is a bit too bright, a bit too bitey on the tongue and somewhat flavorless. So I cellared it.. for about 5 years...

... 5 years later...

My goodness! What a change some time can make! The tobacco has mellowed out very much from it's out-of-the-tin state. Visibly, the leaf has gotten a bit darker, the aroma a bit richer, not so sweet and honeyed as it once was. In the pipe the flavor is stronger and more complex, less cloying, the bite nearly all but gone(it will still bite if you're a huff-n-puffer). This definitely isn't your dark matured or stoved VA, but it is much changed from what came out of that 100g tin five years ago.

I can't recommend this as-is, but if you're willing to put some away and while your time with other pipe-fillers, VA #1 will serve your taste buds well at some point down the road.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)

I'm finished wasting money on MacBaren tobacco...this blend was the last straw...

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

As a returning piper, I found the initial package scent so enticing I could hardly wait to get the honeyed mixture into a briar for a go. Right away it bit me, as others have noted, even in a small Yelo Bole. After a few more nips, I hit upon the idea of mixing it with some of my remaining stash of Macbaren's latakia blend, and voila; no more bite. I mixed it 1 part to 3 parts latakia. It makes both blends easier to take.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

If you want a flavorlful Virginia and are willing to give up smoking for several days while your tounge heals, by all means, give this one a try.

I'm VERY prone to tongue bite, but in answer to cholly howl, the previous reviewer, Virginia's don't have to bite. In fact, I am aware of at least 2 dozen that have no bite at all. A good place for the novice to start is with any of the Rattray's.

Ravenwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ravenwood (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

One-match light, subtle, honey note, burned hot, unpleasant bite.

~~~ Don't invest.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Excellent Virginia tobaccos & rubbed out thoughtfully enough to make this a one match light for a slow, even burn. Problem is, the curing process made the Virginias too sugary & hot. My tongue was seared immediately upon lighting. Luckily this was a sample pack & enough to fill only a small bowl. The taste is one dimensional & the aroma characteristically MacBaren, with its honey/heather topping. It's really just more of the same. This reminds me of the fiery 'Solent'. Try the delightful 'Mixture' for a better representation of MacBaren's art.

One of five stars

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I would be ashamed to produce and sell such an awful thing as this. A furnace of no flavour.Make sure you have the burn center's telephone number ready,because your tounge will be injured. This crap isn't even good enough to mix with. Ye who say you really like this aparently have never tried real Virgina tobacco.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)

Mac Baren is a strange company. They have top flight production facilities and use high quality leaf. Then, seemingly in an effort to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, they do something to every blend I've tried to ruin it.

This can be terrific stuff, if, and only if, it is sipped very slowly. How slowly? We may never know, because it is so blisteringly hot that it challenges the technique of the most advanced smoker (you may pat yourself on the back at this point if you have mastered it). It is the pipesmoker's version of Zeno's Paradox- one can never smoke a bowl of this, because first one must smoke half a bowl, which in turn must be preceded by a quarter of a bowl....

I quite enjoyed the last bowl I smoked, but only because I was in the midst of preparing caramel, and had plenty of molten sugar with which to sooth my tongue.

Like to save seven bucks? Simply touch your tongue to the engine casing of an idling Harley. Voila. You've just experienced VA#1.

Magnulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magnulus (8)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I smoked this twice. I had a whole can "gifted" to me by a fellow pipester. This stuff is heavily cased in honey, it's incredibly sticky. I've seen chewing tobacco with less sugar than this. It was hard to get lit. Once lit it had very little flavor. And it gave me horrible tongue bite. Needless to say, I don't smoke it anymore.

With blends like MacBarens, cased in honey and sugars excessively, is it any wonder that Danes have to resort to using charcoal filters in their pipes?

There are many better Virginias out there if that's your thing. Personally, I find them too light usually. I'd recommend any of McClelland's flakes over this one, or even better, Best Brown from Samuel Gawith (honeydew Virginia done right... simply sublime).

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)

As I am just starting to experiment with Virginia blends I was eager to try this. I have to say however, that I am disappointed. It tastes nice and is definitely sweet due to the honey casing but that is about all there is. I was hoping for a more profound tobacco taste from the Virginias but it just wasn?t there for me. I found the tobacco taste to be rather bland and covered up by the sweetness. I?m a puffer and this does smoke a little hot but it wasn?t a problem for me, good thing I?ve scalded my tongue over the years with strong cigars. My local tobacconist has turned me on to one of their own blends of Red Virginias and a touch of Perique. I think I will stick with that, it is much more flavorful and without the casing.

uponthehill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
uponthehill (8)
Medium Extra Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

One of the worst tobaccos I ever smoked- that sweetnes can cause vomiting. Never again!

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Here we go again. Typical cased MacBaren's tobacco. Nothing wrong with it unless you appreciate true tobacco taste.It is indeed a quality Virginia, but has been cased to the point where I was less than satisfied.

If you want to smoke a Virginia tobacco made even hotter by the honey flavoring, then grab a tin of this. Otherwise, steer clear.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

Out of the benevolence of his good nature, a friend gave me this amazing tobacco. I fell in love with it. It was so hard not to constantly engross myself with this blend. It was down to earth and hearty. It reminded me of summer and wheat. It's a very simple tobacco, it consistently stays the same from start to finish. It burns into a a nice white/light grey ash. Simply put, sinfully delicious. I highly recommend.

Pipe Used: MM Mizzou, MM Legend, Savinelli ASH

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake.

Braed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Braed (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

The tobacco is a 100% Virginia blend. The taste is mild and the room note is pleasant. I couldn't taste the honey flavour. But I think this is a solid tobacco for people who love smoking original tobacco without extreme flavoring. Also I detected a little bit of tongue bite but not extreme.You should give the tobacco some air to dry a little bit.

Old Nate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Nate (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

On some days Virginia no. 1 is a 2 star smoke and sometimes a 3 star smoke for me. One of those blends that is not in my regular rotation but something I do reach for on occasion. You can definitely taste the sugar and vanilla casing which isn't too bad in this blend. Definitely smoke it slow. This allows the Virginia flavor to come through and plays nicely w the flavoring put in the blend. It isn't anything out of this world, just a mildly sweet VA with a nice little topping. I try to pack about a half bowl with this one because the flavor tends to subside if I go at it any longer than 40-45 mins, but I don't keep track... It could last a little longer than that. The flavor is definitely reminiscent of vanilla but there is also nice Virginia sweetness that brings out a nutty side to the blend. And that's about it, which isn't a bad thing, just not a great tobacco. It's solid and sometimes that's just what I need.

The tin aroma is exactly as expected, vanilla, sugar, and a hint of citrus somewhere in there. If you're put off by the ketchupy vinegar smell associated with some Virginia's then this is one positive with this blend because I don't get any of that here.

Generally a mild smoke, but it does burn hot, so smoke her slow. If you like a sweet forward Virginia, this one might be right up your alley, and the room note is pleasant and doesn't linger. A nice 2 or 3 star smoke for me. I'll go ahead and give it 3 stars as I'd recommend it to those interested in the style.

Pipe Used: briar

Purchased From: B&M

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden sliced but with toppings.

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (19)

A mild/medium blend, naturally sweet and pleasant. Puffing too hard may deliver some tongue bite but relaxing and taking it slow is a good remedy. The flavor also wasnt sour like some VA's tend to be; when you puff this slowly, it produces some wonderful room notes. This for me is a great all-day blend. It is terribly consistent through the entire bowl, which is much appreciated. It reminds me on SG Golden Glow although it is much better and not so harsh!

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith GOLDEN GLOW; similar but much beter....

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

So I was out of tobacco to switch to after smoking a great deal of latakia based blends and this was the only thing available. I know, I know, I had sworn off McB, but I was desperate and did have one good experience with McB (Navy Flake) so I thought, "why not?" and I gave it a try. This stuff did indeed disappoint. It was sticky to the touch (sugared) and upon lighting this torched my tongue. I was gentle with pace, but this still burned my tongue and mouth. To make matters worse, it was almost a tasteless blend. Ugh! Well, I should have known better. I hear the HH series is more refined, perhaps I'll give it a go after my tongue heals. :)

Smoke in peace, brothers and sisters of the leaf.

review_again Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
review_again (8)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I've become a Mac Baren fan. I like their tobaccos. I love the broken rubbed presentation, similar to another quality tobacco Mac Baren Golden Extra. I agree that a different approach should be taken when smoking this virginia. In my opinion, one has to coax this smoke along gently because it will bite. Take your time .....no problem. I think it becomes better further along in the bowl. For me, it's slightly sweet toasty taste. When pushed a little that tangy virginia note is detected. Decent nicotine hit. Prefer this tobacco in a cob. I can't detect any casing ... if it does ... it's extremely slight. I dry the smoke out at least 30 minutes before I smoke it ...seems to help the experience. This smoke is one of my regulars along with Golden Extra and P.S. Luxury Navy Twist. If you like "foo-foo" tobacco .... this probably will not be your smoke. However, if one likes "straight up" virginia, smooth tobacco taste ... this is another example of Mac Baren's dedication to quality tobacco leaf. Good stuff!

Update: I've tried several virginia tobaccos .... and have grown fonder of this tobacco. I've realized that this tobacco is trully a classic. At first I was not sure ...thought it was good ..but nothing special. I think one has to spend some time with this tobacco and learn how smoke it. This has become my favorite ...... it is just outstanding. I see why it's called Virginia #1. The more it ages ....the better it becomes. This virginia does not take a "back seat" to any virginia. It's mild ...tasty ....and I highly recommend.

pipelicidad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelicidad (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginia no. 1 is a ruthless blend. If smoked with extreme caution (very easy sipping and very paused), its great: hayish, woodsy, honey-like, fruity, sweet and mild. But if the carefulness ceases even for one second, problems arise: an overheated bowl and tremendous tongue bite. As this blend is pitiless, it doesn't deserve a benevolent rating, but because of its ambivalent nature, I have a love-hate relationship with it.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)

Smoke it in a medium pipe. Or a big pipe. Or a small pipe. It works all the time.

Pack it loose. Give the chunky pieces room to grow.

Tongue bite? Only if you puff fast. I never do anything fast.

Smells kind of like butter and brown sugar on toast when you blow it out the nose. I like it. It never gets tiresome.

So I buy it in 5 pound bags.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I have now smoked several Mac Baren offerings and will not review them any further since they are extremely not to my liking. If interested in my thoughts about their line of tobaccos then just see my review on Burley London, it pretty much sums up this vapid weed give or take a slight aromatic difference (vanilla, cherry etc...).

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I loved the smell of this stuff in the 2 oz bag that I got in bulk. I lit it and really enjoyed the flavor; sweet, grassy, hay-like.

It bit me like a rabid beaver... How can something be so sweet and earthy, yet burn you so remorselessly? It's like going out with a a beautiful, well-meaning sadist. She wants to be sweet and make you happy, but it's just in her nature to inflict pain. Yes, she's wonderful to look at and she seems genuine, but once you get to know her, she knees you in the yarbles and sends an uppercut to your mouth on your way down.

No matter in what pipe I tried it and how carefully I smoked it(and I allowed it ample opportunity), it would leave a small, amusement park-version Gehenna on my tongue. I tried sealing it in a mason jar and letting it mellow, but this didn't help, either. Try it if you want, but be warned.

Overall impression: Mac Arc-Welder...

EDIT 10/6/14

The dangers of writing a review when you are a new smoker. Three years into pipe smoking, I decided it was time to reevaluate this one. My earlier review tell you how this will effect the beginner's palate.

I had my first bowl of the new tin yesterday and it smoked fine. It is bitey, but did not do the harm that the bowls I had when I first started out. It tastes hay sweet as Virginia should. After one bowl, I can't really give it a three or even a four star as of yet, but I am adding one star as it is better then the one star I previously gave it.

Also, still not recommended for the beginner.

Original Review 2/21/12

The only thing good that I have to say about this blend is that it led me to this site.

My baby steps into pipe smoking started with some store blends in bulk from my local B & M that were terrible, followed by the popular OTC brands that had taste and arome but nothing of substance. The owner of the B & M, who has little knowledge of pipe tobacco, suggested this as he said it was a popular one. He had a lot of it and I wonder if he was really just trying to get rid of it to a naive fool like myself.

The appearance was that of hay. I rubbed it like an amateur and smoked away. It was ghastly and strong and it torched my mouth. So much so that I started to search the internet to see if I had a serious medical condition. And this is where I learned of tongue bite. In a narrower search for Tongue bite, I happened upon TR and the rest has been smoking bliss.

I tried blending this with several mild OTCs in hopes that I could somehow salvage this diabolic blend, but to no avail. Into the bin I pitched the remainder.

I have since learned how to puff lighter, but I can't imagine it would have much of a difference with this weed. I have also smoked much finer Va blends and have realized that Va does tend to irritate my tongue a bit so, although I enjoy them, I must restrict my use not to exceed one bowl a day. For that bowl, I would prefer something much better than this. Right now that something lies in the Esoterica Line by Germain.

I see that some other reviewers do enjoy this. I imagine you must have mouths like leather. Perhaps the types who could down a gallon of tobasco and not feel it. People much tougher than me. lol

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (20)
Medium Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Over the years I have tried several tins of this straw. I really wanted to like it. There is just one or two problems. It burns as hot as a gas furnace and it bites like a rabid dog. It may be my body chemistry, I can't say for sure. It takes a week for my mouth to heal after smoking a third of a bowl. It is so painful that I can't really taste a thing. It is like trial by ordeal. I'll pass on this one. I really can't rate the taste unless there is a category for pain and discomfort.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

McB Va. No 1 … Danish style Virginias were never my first choice, but of the ones I've tried Va. # 1 is pretty good, especially it's reasonable cost. I found this stuff can get harsh and irritating to the tongue if not smoked sloowly, and for me a bowl or two, once in a while is about the extent of my use of this tobacco. I don't see myself buying any more of this stuff, when I finish this tin. There are too many other VA's I enjoy more. IMO this would not be a good choice for a beginner. My personal rating, 1/5

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

In the tin, the heavily broken flakes smell distinctly of honey, toast, and grains.

This is basic. Well-aged, clean and sprightly golden virginias are topped with a gentle coating of honey and, seemingly, nothing else. I suspect that there is the tiniest touch of oriental in this. The finish is, expectedly, clean.

Virginia No. 1 is an easy-to-use and immeasurably tasty bright virginia flake which eschews subtlety in favor of ingratiating simplicity. A classic. This went best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

From the first light to the last puff, this is a good Virginia that burns well with a natural sweetness. The flavor gets better as the bowl burns down to a medium grey ash. The honey flavor is in the back ground but is a perfect balance with the sweetness of the Virginia. I did rub it out quite a bit to get the cut the way I prefer it which I would recommend to anyone trying this out.I see where it could be difficult to light and keep from over heating if you don't. Keep the tobacco smoldering or sipping it as others have said and you will be rewarded with a great smoke!:) UPDATE: The more I smoke this the more I enjoy it. 4 stars for sure and a great value!

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

I don't know why I waited so long in trying this rubbed out VA Flake. It is wonderful. It has a nice level of sweetness and measured spice. It burns well, difficult to get hot, and does not bite. I find myself craving it. It has a light casing, but who knows what it is, unique to MB. Highly recommended to the VA lover.

slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake (10)

I simply love MacBaren's blends (except for their aromatics, which are horrible; as are most aromatics). I suppose the tongue bite issue is different for every smoker. I personally have never had tongue bite issues with MacBaren's blends....although I was always told that I would. Several of the MacBaren's blends can become "everyday" and "all day" companions; Virginia No.1 certainly qualifies. OK, it is a simple virginia blend with the most typical virginia traits. For an "all day" or "go to" smoke; this is a good thing. Sure, it does not deliver with the "complexity" of flavor that many "higher quality" (and higher priced) virginia blends offer. HOWEVER, as I have posted before, so many other blends leave me feeling as if I had just eaten a whole german chocolate cake. This is alright once in a while, but all the time...NO! That is why Virginia No.1, Mixture, Navy Flake, Golden Extra, Symphony, etc. are all wonderful blends. These are all "go to" tobaccos, for me. I save the over-expensive, over powering and over complex blends for once in a while.

As posted by many, you have to have good smoking technique to really benifit from MacBaren's blends. If you "sip" or smoke slowly, and try exhailing the smoke through your nose, the better MacBaren's blends can offer a rather delightful smoke!

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the most tasteless balnd tobaccos on the market today. Will bite your tounge like a viper. If you think this is good Virginia, more power to you.

The_Rover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Rover (8)

I like this one a lot. Funny it only gets a 2-star average. Not really much to add that hasn't been said: smoke it slow, great price, ranks well with the other Virginias out there.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

My review is based on a bulk sample.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but in retrospect, this blend almost ended my pipe smoking career before it truly began. I had a lot of trouble with tongue bite in the early months, and mostly chalked this up to par for the course, plus later decided that my smoking a new briar was part of the problem, and also that my smoking technique was bad.

Well, here it is two years later, I'm not a great pipe smoker but a lot further down the road than I was, and have smoked two bowls of this recently, one more or less full bowl in a pipe I don't know well, and a small amount of a bowl this morning in one of my best smokers.

The smoke is acrid, hot, and bitey, right off the bat, and doesn't settle down within the first quarter bowl or so.

There are some lovely Virginias out there, this isn't one of them. This combination of what appears to be immature bright Virginias plus a bit of sweet topping is lethal to my tongue.

I cringe to look at the bag, which once contained one and a half ounces, and realize that there is probably less than a half ounce left... I must have smoked ten or fifteen bowls in the first three to six months of my pipe smoking, and I recall the ongoing prolonged fight against tongue bite that I dealt with then.

If you have a friend starting with the pipe, get them a really neutral OTC burley (Prince Albert, Carter Hall) or a cool smoking English blend... keep them far far away from MacBaren products, especially this particular blend.

I suspect that someone with expert smoking technique and a willingness to deal with some bite, or different body chemistry, might feel differently about this blend, but with excellent matured VA from McClelland and lovely tobacco like Red Ribbon and Union Square, I see no point in fooling around with this one.

Inexpensive for a reason!

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A good Virginia offering from Mac Baren. Sure, the tin aroma smells very cased... with lots of honey and sugary notes. But the smoking experience is not bad at all: good fruity sweetness with sour and grassy notes, very consistent to the bottom of the bowl.

Sure, it's not the most groundbreaking Virginia out there, and it may be a bit harsh if pushed too hard. It's not completely natural, but the flavoring (while evident) does enhance the experience and complement the tobacco flavour quite well.

Actually it's not a sticky aromatic: it tends to dry rather fast in the tin, crumbling to fine dust. But it packs well, it's easy to smoke and has a rich taste.

Overall, similar to other Mac Baren blends... but among the best ones of them.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

MacBaren did it again! A very nice selection of Virginia leaf cased in MacBaren's way, with honey I guess this time, and reached to be a biting, harsh burning, far away from a natural sweetness of true Virginia pipe tobacco.

An elegant tin, good moisture level and it packs and lights good. Burns completely and effortless, leaving a clean, whitish grey ash. You need to smoke it slow because it gets hot and you think you loose the pleasure. In fact it offers some less pleasure even if you are smoking it slowly. It has a somehow honey sweet taste far away to be a natural sweet Virginia with full tobacco taste. I even checked several times if the pipe is lit! Hopefuly I have good eyes enough to see the smoke! A nice cloud of pipe smoke without the enough taste of true tobacco.

Instead of buying this tin put some more money and buy a true, full taste, pure Virginia blend!

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)

Packed loose and smoked slow this is a great smoke. If smoked in haste it will burn and you will not enjoy the body and flavor of this great sweet and bright tobacco. Give it some time to breath and it gets better with every pull. This is a must for any Virginia lover.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

This one ain't bad but it isn't anything special either. Simple, strait forward Virginias , the taste and aroma to my mind is that of toasted grain. Kinda like Grape Nuts. I didn't detect any of the Virginia sweetness that I so much love. Mild, monotone and a bit flat. One good thing, it did not scorch the old flapper like many MacBaren products.It will get spicy in a habanero sort of way if you get overly zealous with your puffing.

Smokeable and faintly pleasant,yeah,but why bother when there are so many superior alternatives?

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

This is an interesting virginia, somewhat mild. Typically, I prefer fuller virginia flakes, but this is good. I found that the "grassy" or "hay" flavors characteristic of virginias are, although present, somewhat toned down here and the honey casing does not really come out until the last third of the bowl.

It is a fairly simple and enjoyable smoke which I'll recommend to people who are experimenting with virginias or those who like the fuller versions but feel somewhat overwheelmed. I probably won't buy it again since I like "spicier" virginias, but I can see how some guys could adopt this as an all day smoke. I burns slow adn evenly, it's easy to light and it does not bite. I've never experienced the severe bite that some reviewers here experience with Mac Baren Blends.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I'm new to pipe smoking. I've started not only to reduce my cigarette abuse (from about 30 a day to half of that) but also because I enjoy a long lasting smoke, and I'm now fully converted to the pipe.

So far, I've only tried a few tobaccos, and Virginia nº1 is not for me... I've never experienced the infamous tongue bite with any tobacco (and I've been smoking 3 bowls a day over the last few months), but the honey sweetness of this Virginia nº1 is not for my taste (and I supose it will not appeal to any ex-cigarette smoker). It packs and lights fine, but it burns too hot.

Still, in my effort to understand pipe tobacco better, I've placed about 35g. in a small jar and will keep it stored for some months.

=UPDATE= 6 months after, I opened the jar and gave it a try...puff,puff... very nice! I don´t really know if it changed with time or if the change was in my personal taste. It´s not a blend to smoke daily, but when carving for something on the sweet/honey side, I'm going to want Virginia nº1 around.

Upgrade from 1 to 2 stars

Already bought 4 oz. of it and placed them in 2 different jars. One will be cellered for some months, the other for a couple of years. (for some reason, I did´t smoke any from this new batch) Also, this 4 oz. where very dry, and I had it rehydrate with destilled water. Hope it will age fine.

Another foray into the "World of Mac Baren" has me sampling Virginia No. 1. My sample comes from a 250g tin I recently purchased. Tobacco has a nice light to medium blond color and is a partially broken flake; which is how I would describe Mac's version of a ready-rubbed. The tin aroma was spicy sweet and the tobacco was not as moist as in the 100g tins. I loaded this in a taller, straight stemmed bulldog that I reserve for straight Virginias. Lights with a charring and after a tamp, an additional match. No moisture in the pipe to speak of and no problem with "bite". Just smoke it slowly and you will be rewarded with a tasty smoke. There was a nice peppery sting to my lips upon lighting up, but this quickly settled down to basically nil as I consumed the bowl. A very mild flavor to my palate with a definite Virginia tobacco taste evident throughout. It had just the right amount of natural sweetness in my opinion. It is not grassy either, which is what I prefer in a Virginia.

A very pleasant smoke that has entered my weekly rotation and I would have no problem smoking it on a daily basis. A very enjoyable smoke indeed! One of the few tobaccos where after I finish a bowl, I immediately want another of the same. Different enough from Mac's Virginia Flake offering to include both into rotation. 4 stars across the board!

Pipe-billed Grebe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-billed Grebe (18)

Update: It's funny; I gave MacB VA no. 1 a paltry two star rating, but ever since I used up all of my original half-pound I've found myself craving it. Sometimes I've just gotta have that hay n' honey. So, I picked up another 8 oz., and I still find it a simple, reliable satisfying smoke on its own and a good blender. I'd be doing this modest Virginia a dishonor if I didn't bump her up another star.

Original Review: Fresh outta the tin, Va no. 1 calls to mind hay and honey. It tends to smoke hot, as I hear is to be expected given its pedigree; it is very bright and sugary and sharp. It is not unpleasant if smoked nice and slow.

8 oz. of Va no. 1 + 1 oz. McClelland's blending Perique, left sealed in a jar for a year, yielded delicious results for me. The sharp edges were smoothed, and the bright sugariness subsided to a fuller, more caramelized sweetness.

A very simple, straightforward smoke; somewhat recommended fresh, but recommended without reservation aged with a bit of Perique for a pretty cheap DIY VaPer.

thewoodlandgardener Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thewoodlandgardener (6)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Once again, I am at a loss to understand this oft-repeated complaint called 'tongue bite". Proper packing and slow smoking with patience and gentility have never failed to give a satisfactory smoke. Even if a tobacco is not to my own taste, I have never understood this problem of 'bite'. This phenomenon certainly seems to interfere quite frequently, with reviews of various tobaccos - and one cannot help but wonder how much is the fault of the person, rather than the tobacco(?)

These seemingly technique-related complaints seem to have no bearing, for me, upon the taste and aroma of a given tobacco.

Virginia No. 1 has a very reasonable, barely sweet, and non offensive taste; being neither a strong aromatic, nor having the foul stench of cigarettes. It is a nice, 'neutral' tobacco.

youtube.com/user/MrPLivingstone

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Well it need to age a yr. or two then maybe it will be smoother just a little rough right now.Ill give it some time its sweet enough i will say that.But like most golden flakes it bites abit.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Its funny, but we all in life are taken by pretense from time to time, and in the case of MB's Virginia #1 the facade got me. From the attractive large, substantially weighted, attractive tin to the beautiful reddish virginia that lie therein...I was taken. This stuff burns hotter then any other tobacco to which I have set flame.

One of the kind reviewers had mentioned INCENDIARY with regard to either this blend or another MB, and I must agree.

I really wanted to like this one...it looked so good and smelled even better. But as I lie here with a morphine drip to help squelch the pain I simply cannot recommend this tobacco unless you have a fiberglass tongue....well Im off to the hyperbaric chamber to start rehab.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I like a simple smoke and this certainly is simple. While I lean toward crisper burley blends, this very sweet Virginian is a nice change of pace. I like the slow burning nature of this smoke which I find true of many Mac Baren blends. It works great as a mixer with other tobacco, but I only want to buy it for that purpose if I can get it cheap. I guess that actually sums up my feelings about this blend, it is not worth going out of my way for but I will buy it whenever I find a bargain on it.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

*I rated this a two star blend, mainly due to its being so mild and one dimensional. However, given that this stuff is so inexpensive and easy to find, those merits could rate it another star if you are looking for a mild va. without high expectations.

I recently was afforded the opportunity to sample an ounce of this, and I'm afraid that it didn't quite meet my expectations. It is, as the manufacturer claims, a mild smoke. The pouch aroma is faintly sweet and grasslike, but there was no detectable topping to my nose.

Lighting was easy, and once charred the tobacco stayed lit. Absent was MacBaren's predeliction to bite the tongue while attempting the char, so this was a pleasant surprise. Also absent, however, was the charactaristic spiciness of a young virginia, as well as the deep rich overtones of a ripened virginia.

Overall, the mild temperament of this tobacco may make up for its lack of richness for the novice piper. For those seeking a rich va. experience, you may wish to take a pass on this one.

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)

"Tongue bite" is the name of the game with this one. I've smoked 6 bowls. Four bowls were smoked as gently as I could and I've had significant tongue bite every time. If you aren't gentle with it this one will really punish you.

It smells very nice in the container and is easy to pack into the pipe.

I found it just a bit stubborn to light but not bad. Once I had it lit it continued to burn very easily while leaving a nice ash all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It did begin to gurgle a tiny bit a few of times during every bowl. I usually do well having 1 pipe cleaner available during a bowl of other tobaccos but with this one I needed 2 or 3 for every bowl.

The taste was alright and I can understand how some others would really like it. If it weren't for the tongue bite this could be one of my regulars.

I plan on leaving the remainder of this tobacco in the cellar to see if the taste improves after a year or so. At this point I see no reason to purchase any more. Perhaps when I revisit this tobacco I will change my mind.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very light, honey sweetened Virginia. It has a nice toasty sweet flavor, but alas it always bites the ever-loving daylights out of me. Too bad, because for a mild Virginia it tastes good. My advice for the daring is to smoke this in a small billiard. Sip it very slowly. It tends to burn hot, so as soon as your pipe gets on the hot side, just stop for a while. Keep some water on hand, and sip between puffs. Perhaps you will have better luck than I did...

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I found this to be a tolerable Virginia. It starts off well, but as the bowl progresses, I start to notice a sweetness that was not of 'natural origin'? It just didn?t seem to belong. I think the quality of the leaf was fine, but if they wanted to add something, it should have been some other form of Va, rather than the casing they opted for. Once that flavoring takes over, it's relentless.

It may be MacBarens? No. 1, but it isn?t my first choice.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco was a little misleading at first as I could not detect any aroma other than the sweetness of the Virginia, maybe cause I also love a good aromatic. I also found that I needed to rub this tobacco before packing my pipe, once rubbed to my satisfaction and packed my pipe I had no problem in keeping it lit.

I found that smoking this in my Bajarne, a medium sized Brandy Glass that this tobacco smoked slow and easy with no IMHO tongue bite. The sweetness of the Virginia became more predominate as the tobacco reached the half way point of the bowl, although the aroma was never overwhelming in the room.

This like any Virginia needs to be smoked slowly and with Mac Baren's Virginia # 1 maybe a liitle slower that most to enjoy the fullness of the blend itself.

Smoke it slow, enjoy it longer

tomgrega Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomgrega (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing remarkable about this blend, aside from the minor fact that I get more bite out of this than a handful of hot peppers. It?s not bad in a mild sort of way, provided you beware ? draw lightly and infrequently, otherwise you?ll not have taste buds for a week. A bit on the over sweet side, probably due to the addition of additional sweetening agents. I like to blend this with a blending Latakia or Perique. Adds a bit more dimension. Price is relatively reasonable to make it ideal for this sort of thing.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

I smoke Virginia tobacco quite regularly & when I want a stronger taste only Virginia No1 meet's every criteria I'm looking for.Easy to light,strong sweet taste,the tobacco is thickish & burn's beautifully & slowly.And it doesn't bite me.(But for new comer's)'Puff slowly' just in case! The ash burn's down nice & clean looking,& when I've finished a bowl,I alway's want more.There may,very well be better out there,but I'm yet to discover it!This gem get's 4 star's from me.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Book #1, Chapter #1, In Which God, Through the Agency of the Mac Baren Tobacco Company, Plays a Dark Joke Upon the Virginia Tobacco Smoker...

So why not, after all, given that God has a great sense of humor, take a beautiful broken brown flake, for which any Virginia smoker would fall down and praise the heavens (ah! the quality! ah! the cut! ah! the consistency! ah! the deep rich taste!), and add HONEY to it? Or sugar, or some other infernal Danish black-magic sweetening agent, --and turn that beautiful broken flake in one's pipe into napalm on a stick? Make it not only good and bitey, but make sure overlying all that luscious Virginia flavor, is nice treacly sweetness a la your average garden-variety Ameerican aromatic? And for a final trick, once you've rendered this beautiful tobacco incindiery and sweet as a Pepsi, why not just go ahead and make it IRRESISTIBLE. Yup, that's it, the dark joke to beat all dark jokes. This stuff is great! Everything in me, all of my hard-won purist natterings, go by the wayside when I'm around this tobacco. I invariably smoke some, I invariably love that weird combination of pure sugar and meaty Virginia taste, and I invariably burn my tongue, even if only a little. And I invariably want another bowl as soon as I'm done. Somehow Mac Baren gets me with this stuff every time and God gets a good laugh as I sputter again, for the hundredth time, all the reasons I should hate this stuff. And I just keep on smoking it. I suppose Virginia #1 is the way I work on my Virginia technique. One day I will perfect it, and I won't need Virginia #1 anymore. But I'll probably still smoke it. And every time, I'll wonder why as I load yet another bowl.

(In all fairness to this tobacco, it only bites the unwary smoker like a crazed wolverine during the first half of the bowl. The second half is quite nice and cool, you'll think as you smoke it--but be warned, of ye of child-like trust, that you'll wake up the next morning and realize you've burnt away the tip of your tongue, again.)

Nimrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nimrod (29)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a rather new pipe smoker, having done so for about a year now, so my opinion should probably be taken with a grain of salt. The first virginia I ever tried was Dunhill Light Flake and I really loved it. I bought this tobacco hoping that it would be more like a ready-rubbed version of that, but to my disappoinement it is not. While in some objective sense I can appreciate that this is a reasonably high quality tobacco, I feel that the Virginia taste that I was looking for just isn't there in sufficient quantity.

This tobacco seems to want to be smoked cool in order to bring out the flavor, and even then I don't feel like the effort to do so is well rewarded. For me anyway, it's difficult to smoke this stuff cool without it going out constantly. It's also a little more moist than I would really like, and I'm guessing that has something to do with the casing. I just smoked half a bowl of it in my Savanelli churchwarden, and it's pleasant but just not that captivating for me.

Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Being ready rubbed to an ideal size and with a perfect moisture content, this brownish tobacco packs evenly which results in a uniform burn. The sweet tin aroma was transformed into quite a tang that bordered on harshness @ the beginning of the bowl. Smoke this blend in a large bowl to minimize its tendency to burn hotly. It seems that the VA flavors have been enhanced (??) with honey or some sweetener that I just didn't enjoy. Although no where near an aromatic, I feel that other straight VA tobaccos or VA blends offer me a richer and more enjoyable smoke.

ravkesef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ravkesef (11)

One of my favorite tobaccos precisely because of its light, mild taste. I don't find this to be overly cased, nor at all hot as some did, but rather pleasant and cool when sipped slowly. To avoid the risk of repeating what has already been said, I shall simply add my observation that I find this blend to be somewhat monochromatic when smoked in a large pipe.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)

You can read all the other reviews here and get a fair representation of this tobacco. I would not be able to add anything new. It is a very pleasant blend that is a staple for very good reason. If you are still on the fence, go get some and I feel you will enjoy it for all the reasons already expressed.

Marker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marker (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Best thing I did for this blend was let it breathe for a couple weeks before smoking a lot of it. Right off the tin it will smoke a little hot and lose some sweetness. Let it dry and the citrus sweetness is much better.

I agree with some others using a med-large bowl is best to let it smoke slow. The harder you puff the less sweet it is.

If you are looking for a citrus Va blend this one does it extremely well. It is similar to veermaster without the perique kick added. If you enjoy mild yellow Virginias this one will give you what you need.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Sutliff

Similar Blends: Veermaster, without the perique kick..

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)

Mac Baren Virginia no. 1 Made in Denmark by Mac Baren Tobacco Imported by Sutliff Tobacco Company

Virginian

Tin Notes: Nice Slightly sweet Virginia Tobacco Smell Ready Rubbed - course cut leaf Great Color

Smoking: This tobacco blend does have a light topping/sweet additive and is a type of tobacco that takes practice and patients to learn how to fully enjoy the flavors. Some might consider this a tobacco that bites and burns the tongue but i think some of it may be technique. A new briar pipe dedicated to light virginian tobacco something with a large diameter chamber and smoke as slow as you possibly can. I have had good success with smoking this tobacco in my pipestone rock cob but may consider going the route of a long stem clay tavern pipe or using a long stem bamboo shank on my stone pipes.

Either way you want a cool dry smoke to get the most out of this delicate tobacco leaf

a few tins and a pound for the cellar - waiting to see what happens to the flavor

Room Note: Good !

Overall My 5 Star Rating = 3 + a little more with a glass of iced tea

Pipe Used: Pipestone Rock Cob, Corn Cob, Clay and Briar

Age When Smoked: new and old

Purchased From: pipesandcigars, 4noggins, jrcigars and sutliff

arfenhouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arfenhouse (6)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A straight VA with multiple 'personalities'. VA No. 1 in the proper bowl and smoking technique can be a satisfying, rich, and sweet smoke. This blend is prone to getting hot and having tongue bite.

The room note is very sweet and pleasant honey + VA aroma. Rubbed out with some drying time, this tobacco will ash almost completely.

I give it a rating of 2 since it's problematic, but it would be a 3 when it's at its best.

pipe1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe1964 (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have used this tobacco since 1965. It will bit if you dont smoke slowly. It has a sweet affect. I have blended it with Macbarens Dark Twist and also a burley blend to dampen the bite and sweetness. It is my favorite blend. I believe it smokes best with a very experienced smoker. In the 60s the cost was from $2.75 per tin to $3.50. Oh what I would give for the good old days.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

Sometimes simplicity can be a beautiful thing.

This is a blend that you will find in the cellar of many experienced pipers. When it comes to pure straightforwardness Virginia this one hits the mark nicely.

This blend comes very dry, and is a very light color, even lighter than most VA's.

It is presented in a very broken flake kind of manner. Just chunky enough to make you wonder if you should rub it out or just run with it. It has a lovely mild Virginia flavor. Not a complex smoke, but very enjoyable just the same. Very nice.

The first thing that hits you when you smoke this is a honey and sugar taste. After a few puffs, the citrus and grassy/hay flavor you expect from a mild dark gold Virginia broken flake makes itself known, and the honey flavor becomes a little less obvious. There's also a spice note that joins with a hit of toast to offset the sweetness with just enough tang to keep this from being one-dimensional. Not much nicotine involved here, nor is there supposed to be. This tobacco was designed for the all day smoker who just wants a pleasant smoking experience. It's also a nice lighter change of pace for one who prefers stronger, darker Virginias.

bigterr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigterr (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Although this is my first review it is not my first Mac tobacco. I came to Mac's mixture back in the 70's and smoked it exclusively throughout my undergraduate years. Then for reasons unfathamable I stopped pipe smoking for about 5 years and switched to cigars. Since I'm living in Canada ALL tobacco is taxed beyond belief and even a crappy cigar is in excess of $5.00 a stick (stuff like that smoked by George Burns doesn't count) so a few years back I again took up the pipe but found that finding a quality tobacco was a difficult proposition unless one travelled to larger cities (e.g., Toronto). One time while in Toronto looking for something other than cornerstore pouch blends (almost always dry as dust)I could not find my Mac Mixture. The tobacconist suggested I try V#1, albeit with the warning to smoke s l o w or it might bite. Great advice which I chose to ignore on my first couple of bowls - took over a week to heal. I've since re-learned that all tobacco is better smoked slowly (don't know how I forgot this). This tobacco is a delight to smoke, a subtle taste of citrus and sour is what I find to be the flavor that keeps this as my goto tobacco. I just opened a tin I bought in 2007 and it was still moist and the aroma was of fresh hay and almost lemony. I broke the "ready rubbed" out a bit more and gave it 15 min to breath. Packed in a castello old antiquari 1/8 bent large pot packed with the 3 stage technique I've been pleasantly puffing for about 40 minutes (one relight needed) when it occurred to me I should do this review. I believe this is one of the finest straight Virginia's available and a a price for 100 grams that most other tobaccos cost for 50 grams everyone looking for a nice clean straight forward smoke should not let fears of "bite" deter you from giving this a try. But as other reviewers and that wise Toronto tobacconist informed me smoke it s l o w l y! My rating 3 out of 4 stars only because it will bite severly if you puff with too much vigor.

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (24)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Needs to be smoked very carefully. It requires the attention and concentration of the pipe smoker. A tobacco that requires effort in order for one to identify and absorb its taste characteristics. It usually gives off a mild hayish taste.

McNulty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McNulty (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good stuff but burns very hot. I know how to do the bite dance but this stuff is ridiculous. Tasty though for a plain virginia. I like the sorta honey fruity casing.

I bought two tins from the same place at different times. Both dated 2009. First one had more moisture, burned better, tasted better, and bit less. The second one, is NOT overly dry yet it is not as good as the first one. Not as tasty, burns fast.

Good taste. Lots of bite unless you absolutely baby it. There are much better straight up virginias out there. McClelland in particular makes some of my favorites.

Huskies4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huskies4 (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My 7oz tin was from the 80's so it was almost 30 years old. I have yet to get my new tin in the mail, so I will do a review of the new blend when I receive it.

The 30 year old tin: The bite was horrible, whether puffed slowly or quickly the acidic bite was too much to handle. The Virginia sweetness was present but subdued compared to a modern blend. My recommendation is to let this tobacco age 10 years but no more, 30 years and this is over the hill. Perhaps airing out this tobacco and letting it breathe some oxygen over the next month or two will solve the bite, I will update when I get to that point.

CubanPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CubanPiper (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

good tobacco all in all. I'm doing a review on a 8 years old tin, so I guess the years have add something good. It does not burns hot and it does not bite. Smells good, tastes good, burns good, what else can you ask for. It's not the best virginia out there but its pretty good nonetheless.

Grumpynuts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grumpynuts (4)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

When smoked lightly and relaxed this is the most enjoyable smoke I have had. I am normally a Latakia smoker, and this is nothing like a Latakia, but this one will quickly become my "go to" smoke. I once smoked this too quickly and it bit, so after letting it cool down a bit I was able to enjoy the remainder of the bowl. Relaxation is the key to enjoying this tobacco.

iipepeii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
iipepeii (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I have a pouch of VN1 for months, but i had something illness and had a bad taste of my mouth therefore I cant smoke it without a very sour savor. Today was my first look to this mixture again, and I felt it like a lemon drop sometimes with a bit honey. I like this taste and I think VN1 have the taste what I wanted to find in Virginia Flake. It is require slow and not too long sips for this result. I smoke it from a corncob(Missouri Meerschaum Pride - cheapest model). Summa summarum, I like it!

Taraban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taraban (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Awful, never again! // I can smoke it, I won't buy it // = Quite good, worth trying // * Must-have, I'm happy

cedeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cedeks (8)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Excellent, high quality tobacco. As good as you can expect a tobacco to be. I think MB puts a lot of efforts to keep their quality as high as possible. The only reason to get 3 stars rather than 4 is that it is a very hot tobacco unless extremely slowly sipped. Take care or you will definitely burn your mouth or hands. It is not the kind of tobacco that can be smoked while busy with other stuff. You have to sit, relax and enjoy sipping this tobacco slowly. Does not have the expected MB tongue bite.

Bjorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bjorn (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first pipe tobacco that I ever smoked A man by the name of McHale got this stuff in and pipes in his shop bought a pipe and some of this stuff the bite was bad but I learned to slowly puff on it and no more burn well barely every now and again a burn from trying to smoke way to fast but I liked the taste and the smell and it will remain with me as my first pipe smoke

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

Tin note is a nice smell of Virginia with a note of honey. I always love the smell of this tin, but the downside is I smoke to fast for this blend. It burns hot for me and I don't have the patience to smoke slower. It blends with others well and imparts a good virginia to others as a blender.

When I happen to get some good out of this, it has a nice taste, but nothing complicated, just virginias with a touch of sweetness. It has a nice price for the amount you can get in a tin, but I don't see me buying it again. Maybe one day I'll give it a retry, but for now, it has become a blender.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I get why people are frustrated with this mixture.

It is pure bright virginia that is fairly dry and has a honey topping. Which means that it will dance all over your tounge if you puff like crazy on it.

I was very gentle with this and thought it was great. The honey topping kind of covered for the newness of the tobacco. In more aged blends the tobacco itself provides the sweetness.

It is very mild and smells ok in the room although there is a slight cigarette-ish smell that is left behind (likely due to the fact it is a young viginia).

I like this blend and recommend it with a note that it is not for aggressive puffers.

Cheers. thbg

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)

Mac Baren has a long history and a dazzling array of tinned tobaccos, available almost everywhere, with the aim of providing something for everybody. However something bothers me about Mac Baren tobaccos in general: Firstly, they almost always smoke a little hot. Secondly, most are a little too mild and one- dimensional in my opinion. Virgnia No.1 really should be better than it is. Unarguably the Virginias are of excellent quality with a sweet and subtle but tasty dressing. Once again, it's the lack of strength that lets this otherwise fine tobacco down.

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've rotated this stuff in my appeal to add it to Price Albert on a 50/50 blend. It's quite good and I'd say try this...However, straight in a corn cob, being respectful of the potential bite issues, this is delicious! Take it slow and relax. I feel that those that experience bite on ANY Virginia is because you are just going too fast. This is a blend that you have to budget time for and relax with small draws and savor the development of mid-bowl. I've also had this straight in Meershams. I recommend it but you have to understand and "learn" how to smoke it.

Precourt93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Precourt93 (8)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This tobacco burns very slow but yet is still quite hot of a burn, it doesn't bite but it has flavor. It is a great aromatic to start with.

UPDATE: I forgot how hard it is to light this tobacco, even with the right moisture content. Has absolutely no flavor.

Emil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emil (8)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the tobacco of my youth and it still gives me great pleasure to smoke. Its not something I will buy often, but its a safe blend that I like having around when Im in the mood for something familiar and easy.

The typical danish style taste is there although very sublime, the experience is mostly that of a natural good bright Virginia with its typical hayish sweet notes. Full enough to satisfy. Good taste the whole bowl through, for me its changing during the coarse of the bowl in a good and interesting way.

If not for the tendency to make my tongue sore, even when puffed slowly, I would give it four stars. It would actually be one of my top Va:s.

Very enjoyable room note. I will pick up some Mac Baren Virginia flake to compare next week, I remember liking it very much.

jediokie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jediokie (6)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I was privileged enough to buy a tin of this yesterday. I've been wanting to try a straight Virginia to help me better dissect the English blends I love so well. But there are so many Virginia's in their own right that it was kind of overwhelming. Nothing for it but to dig in and no1 seemed the best place to start.

It's apparent when opening the tin that this is good stuff. That smell that greets you is amazing. It's a 'ready rubbed' flake which isn't anywhere as fine as I like my tobacco but it's pretty close. Got a good pinch and worked it a little more before loading up the bowl. It was a booger to get lit but once it was finally lit it stayed so until the end of the bowl. Great sweet Virginia taste from start to finish. If anything it got more sweet towards the end. There was a mellow after note that stayed with me for hours after I finished the bowl.

I would say this is a great special occasion tobacco. It isn't bad in anyway, but the straight sweet note was dominating and could be too sweet for others that are looking for a more complex smoke. It's like that extra piece of cake. It's too sweet for everyday but man on those special occasions it's a rock star.

asmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
asmoke (4)

This was one of my first introductions to "tobacco". The first time I smoked this I burned the living daylights out of my tongue. My fault. After I managed to slow down it was very pleasant. This was a frequent smoke for quite a while for me. It is a bright virginia with both sweetness and occassionally a sharp flavor. Not unpleasant, but sharp. Room note is fairly normal, nothing too exciting. Anyone looking for a good bright gold viginia should give this a go.

strawalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
strawalker (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A nice toasty sweetish Virginia blend that burns a bit hot and bites if you over puff but very nice all said. Has a honey sweetness at times but it's not too complex. An excellent base for blending or stoving. I like it when I want something simple and relaxing.

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (14)

The treat is the last third of pipe, reaching oil-rich tobaccos, which is very sweet and rich. I am able to smoke this to bottom of bowl with two relights after initial light. Smokes well and long in small pot. If I sense a difference from long ago (1980s and earlier) it is that the fruity tin note may be less intense and perhaps the overall experience not quite so stellar. Mac Barens is one of extremely few brands that tobacconists of 30 years ago (and more) stocked that have genuinely survived to the present in the sense of unchanged manufacture. V. good value for high quality.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I really like the young, honey, grassy virginia taste of this one. I don't like the tongue bite.

Well after 45 years I tried this again and it's still nice. This was the first non "drug store" blend I could get back then and it was my favorite. Now I realize how much Mac's bite , but this one is somewhat of an exception considering it is straight Virginia. Upon opening the tin you can smell the strong honey topping over the light Virginia. The taste is wonderful , sweet honey hay. You do need to sip it or you will get some bite. I find the price very reasonable in comparison to other straight Virginias and is worth keeping around. For something extra special, blend 50% Virginia #1 with 50% 5100 Red Cake. This seems to make the Red Cake more interesting and at the same time eliminate the bite from the V#1.

Ryan Brutus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryan Brutus (1)

This is a mild virginia, it is quite enjoyable but does burn hot, alson not much of a tounge bite.

Aged sample, from 1985. HONEY! Yes, this is one of those honey-cased MacBarens. I get it even in this 25 year old sample. Even so, it is a nice, albeit honey-cased Virginia. I really don't know if newer production would bite me (I have noticed the infamous MacBite with about half the MacBarens I have sampled), but this doesn't bite me, at least. I find it a pleasant (though not sublime) Virginia in the Danish style. Quality all the way, and I seem to remember it is a good value. Since it is not nipping me too much, and is a nice Virginia even if it is not the best I've had, I recommend it!

Edit 12-6-12: I've now had two other vintages of this blend. One is a 1999 3.5 ounce tinning, and it was a bit different, but as good as the 1985 I originally reviewed. I think that 1985 I had first was from a 3.5 ounce tin as well, because when it comes to aged Mac Baren, the 3.5 ounce tins seem to be quite different from the 7 ounce cans that were sold in the same time period...

I avoid them like the plague! I think they have some kind of additional humectants added, because I get bite from the late 80s 7 ouncer of VA #1 I recently aquired. It's not enough to make it unsmokable, but it's there.

Not as bad as the 7 ounce tin of Symphony: I considered that blend the worst biter I had ever had for quite some time, because I tried it from an aged 7 ounce tin first. When I got a tin of the very same blend from the very same time period (mid to late 80s probably) in its 3.5 ounce version, the bite wasn't there, and I enjoyed the blend enough to seek out another three tins!

DaveA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveA (4)

This was my first pure Virginia tobacco and I found it a very pleasant smoke. It has a sweet taste that stays with you throughout the smoke. It can burn a little hot if you are not careful, but a slow steady pace will reward you with a good tasting smoke. I bought this in bulk and the bag had a nice smell when I opened it. The room note is not overbearing and clears out pretty quickly once the pipe is out. I found it easy to light and it stayed lit without much effort. Because it can burn hot, it is not the greatest choice to smoke outside on a windy day, but other than that I have no complaints. I will continue to explore other Virginia tobaccos, but for now this has a place in my regular rotation.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I used to dry, and crush it when i open a new pack. A star minus because of the added aroma, and its lightness. (The flake version a bit sronger and more natural.)

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This Virginia falls into the category of exquisite for me. It is all VA of the highest quality and it's cavendish cut provides easy loading and lighting. This blend had been in my regular rotation for months now and it is my go to blend for lighter fare. Smoking less than days of yore - I've been moving back to milder blends that still deliver satisfaction. That may very well be good way to describe a good deal of the MacBaren line-up.

Since it is a relatively mild blend, pipe selection for me, is very important. It is not unusual for this to be completely unsatisfying if matched with the wrong pipe - my choice generally is a large bowl billiard (Savinelli Hercules) or similar. Because this is not particularly mature VA - it can burn fast, so respectfully, it needs to be sipped. Best enjoyed just above a smolder.

Rever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rever (1)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was my absolute first pipe of tobacco, recommended by the local Havana House on my request for a good Virginia for a complete novice. I have to say this was an entirely enjoyable introduction and I am looking forward to the next bowl! I was left wanting for a bit more flavor, but I may be jaded as I've smoked full-flavor cigarettes for ten years.

My initial thoughts on the flavor are honey and hay with the tiniest hint of vanilla. The honey flavor is not strong but is persistent, lasting hours after the smoke.

As a first-timer I was a bit wary of tongue bite but experienced almost none, only a bit when I forgot myself and nearly drew as I would on a cigarette. I also had no trouble keeping the bowl lit and smoking it to the bottom with only the initial lights, though not entirely to clean white ash as I'm sure I should have. Once the bowl was nearly finished it did go out, and the final flavor didn't leave me wanting to relight.

Overall I'm neither disappointed nor thoroughly impressed, but I am satisfied and hopeful! This has been a great first experience, if somewhat less robust in flavor than I'd have liked. I've tried many times to quit cigarettes, and now that I've tried this blend I'm thinking pipe smoking just may do the trick!

I'll post an update once I've had some more time to reflect and compare with other blends.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

It does exactly what it says on the tin: 'golden, sweet'. Initial tin note: honey. Or rather: 'HONEY!' Nice looking and feeling thick rubbed strands, came a bit moist or rather 'sticky'. I was initially delighted by this mix. Smooth, sweet, all VA taste. But them I smoked a bowl too quickly out on an early morning walk. It bit me hard and made my stomach growl with hunger. We fell out because of this, and on my next smoke I wasn't feeling so generous. It was thin, too sickly HONEY monsterish, no depth. I could taste the honey for hours afterwards. We reconciled our differences by my throwing in a tin of black cavendish, with the Va 2:1 dominant. Bite has gone, taste is filled, honey has taken a back seat. Now that mix is one of my regular evening aro mixes.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

People often complain about the aroma of McClelland's tobaccos when they open the tin. To me, the tobaccos to complain about are MacBaren's. Why? Their tobaccos always have a sort of rancid, fermented smell to them. But as I've said to those who complain about McClelland's blends, hold your nose and try it.

Virginia #1, unlike other MacBaren's tobaccos I've smoked, is almost dry when freshly opened. It is ready-rubbed, but coarse. Because of that, it can be difficult to pack until you get used to it. It's been a number of years since I've had to repack a bowl, but I had to with one or two of this blend. I learned to rub it out a bit more before packing.

Virginia #1 has a strong initial flavor to it. It lights extremely well, though. The charring light holds, and while I used a second match there was probably enough fire in the bowl without it. After the initial strength of the light, the tobacco develops a rich sweetness typical of good Virginia tobaccos. But smoke this slowly, because it'll bit the end of your tongue right off if you get aggressive with it!

Overall, this is a good, sweet Virginia. The somewhat fermented aroma comes through, to me, in the initial lighting, but adds a nice flavor once through the first third or so of the bowl. Like most Virginias, Virginia #1 DGT's well, becoming even sweeter after sitting overnight.

Bulldog Jeff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog Jeff (11)

A good Virginia. I bought it on recommendation from the lady at the tobacco shop. Mild but good. My new favorite morning smoke. If I don't get a pipe of this before work, I crave it and have to have it as soon as I get home.

Archo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archo (6)

So how exciting can a tobacco be which comprises solely of Va's. Not very is truthful answer. There are numerous reasons which I should be no friend to Virginia No 1; it lacks complexity, it's one dimensional, its temperamental, can handle poorly, be a pain to lit and like most Mac Baren blends can bite like a wronged mother in law. And yet I find that I increasingly reach for this blend. Yes it has all of the above faults but it has one gloriously redeeming virtue; it's a straight forward no nonsense, does exactly what it says on the pouch tobacco. Here's blend that's not so outrageously complex you that you end up tittering on the brink of nervous exhausting jest trying to figure out what's happening with the flavours. No. All we're dealing with here is an easy going tanginess. Which lasts from first to last puff. Mellow heaven.

Yet despite all my waffle about the beauty of its straight forwardness, I don't think this one will make my regular rotation. I do like a little mystery in my blends. But it defiantly one I'll indulge in from time to time. So all in all this is a fine Va blend which lends its self beautifully to long summer evenings puffing away in blissful contemplation. One of Mac Baren's finer blends.

A word of warning; quick puffing will destroy the flavour and leave tour mouth tasting of hot ash. Take it a little slower and you'll be rewarded.

Xuivonae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xuivonae (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Definitely not a traditional non-aromatic "English" pipe tobacco blend, like I thought it was going to be. Way too much oily moisture in the tin. Looks like some of the best Virginia I have seen, with plenty of perfectly harvested Golds, winey Reds, chocolaty Browns, and some pleasant Greens, though they all look very wet and soaked, with plenty of ugly looking stains and blotches from the overabundance of added sweetener/flavoring added into the tobaccos . Plenty of big thick stems too, so watch out. Wasn't aged/fermented enough. Previously caked, then sliced into partially rubbed toothpick and double toothpick sized strands. Smells fantastic like a barn full of fresh clean sweet hay. It is a nice warm welcoming embracing smell like fresh baked bread and pastrys.

Very hard and frustrating to light. Some instances of tongue bite, but not so bad considering it is Virginia. Had only a mere couple of decent puffs, and one really good puff that I consider the pinnacle of the experience. This stuff is better off in a hookah, not a good pipe. It keeps going out, and then when it does stay lit I only get a couple of decent puffs, but in these puffs there is tremendous good taste and flavour. I can sense the immense potential of the grand and perfectly harvested Virginias, but Mac Baren ridiculously injected way too much of this sickly nauseating cheap malted barley glucose syrup into the Virginias, thus destroying everything into useless ruin. The couple of decent puffs I did have were very delicious, clean, mild, and smooth, with this mellow sweet delicious vanilla like fresh sweetbread/fine candy flavor, but most importantly the taste and magnificent flavours of the prized Virginias which were clean, well focused, and centralized with that classic premium Virginia tobacco taste that can best be described as golden, honey sweet, whole grainy, and mellow grassy.

The smoke needed to be thicker bodied though, but that seemed to be compensated for by this ever increasing complexity and strength that was emanating from the great potential of the premium Virginias. Then again, the embers suddenly whimper into mere smoke, I have to blow through the beautiful white ash just to heat the freakin blend, and I get hot ash all over and into my face. Shame on you Mac Baren !!! I need to be enjoying myself smoking, not angrily maintaining and baby sitting in insult. Whatever is left I have to sip on because this distinctive tingly super soursweet experince takes over.

No more tobacco taste, nothing, Garbage. All that is left is tongue bite, heat, annoying tongue tingle, cheap vinegar and cheap malted glucose syrup being slowly dumped into my mouth, and me salivating like a freakin dog. Shame on you Mac Baren. I have never had this happen to me in all my years pipe smoking. $20 for a tin, and all I get is one mere "soso" puff, and a day full of rage and anger and nausea. Really, I was sick in my stomach and head for hours. I almost broke my pipe, and threw the tin through a window. Actually I hammered out the remaining Mac Baren garbage in the weakly lit half bowl with my own pipe on a table.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Again, an obviously extremely high quality product from MacBaren.

Long, thick partially rubbed-out flakes, golden coloured.

It was abeauty to contemplate and fill my nostrils with cereal like pouch aroma.

Unfortunately, any type of taste would quickly disappear and any hint of nicotine was inexistant.

Most MacBaren tobaccos are really suited for beginners more than anything else.

Sighs...

Boston Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boston Bill (11)

After many, many bad experiences with pipe tobacco, I began researching what the choices really were, what made up a blend, what blends I already liked, and what was likely to give me the most enjoyment. Turns out I dislike "Burley," but like Virginia quite a lot.

This tobacco is one of my go-to smokes when I want something good, mild, and inoffensive. Its a great everyday smoke, but might grow a little too mild for some over the long haul. On the other hand, if you want to see what a good Virginia is really like, this is an excellent one to start with.

I usually smoke 3 different bowls in a row: I start out with something mild, then step up to medium (a virginia or a Vanilla-flavored?), then end with something stronger (usually MB Mixture), once my palate is more involved. MB Virginia No. 1 is sometimes the first thing I smoke.

I find Virginia No.1 to be mellow, soft, but to burn hot and have a bit of a bite to it. It smoke pretty well, but I don't seem to get too much of a nicotine "high" from it the way I might from stronger blends, like Mac Baren HH Vintage Latakia.

This is a very good daily smoke, and a great place for people learning about Virginias, or even tobacco in general, to start.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (12)

A solid tobacco. Not extraordinary. I like this slightly less than Original Choice as it lacks complexity. Still, I enjoy smoking this blend.

yankee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yankee (12)

great tobacco,in my opinion, one of the best in croatian market. sweet and nutty, this bright virgina is good for belnding,too.

kidwithgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kidwithgun (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

this was my first try at a virginia blend, and although i have yet to develop an insistent taste for burley, i find it quite comparable to mac baren's golden extra in certain ways. i enjoyed the scent of it as i opened the tin and relocated it to a jar. smells a lot like "winner's edge", the lamb feed i had my sheep on before they went to market. and as it smells, with the first quarter-bowl after lighting it seemed to have a zesty, grassy flavor to it which i actually enjoyed. it stayed lit well and burned evenly. while the golden extra burley has the same spicy intake, it differs from the virginia no. 1 as it blossoms into a chocolatey exhale. and while the golden extra isn't complicated by any means, the virginia blend seems not to stray too far away from it's original flavor, yet it does have a gradual shift from "grassy" to "woody" as it gets nearer the bottom of the bowl. this is when i really began enjoying it and even after a relight it managed to stay cool and burn even all the way to the bottom as well as mildly flavorful. and i personally enjoy it now more than the golden extra.

i can understand why and how some people have a problem with getting bit by these blends, but i assure you, if you are out on a calm and cool summer night after dark on your porch or deck with a clear head - keep your watch and your cell phone inside - keep all your focus on smoking it patiently and evenly, let the flavors develop and come to you, and you will be rewarded and satisfied.

I am a MacBarons fan and I have never experienced the complaints of others that MB blends are flame throwers but I will have to admit, I can see if one is a fast smoker and over puffs this could be a biter. This has not been my experience, I enjoy smoking it, but if I do push it, I can feel the heat come on. This is a nice VA blend, it has the traditional hay like sweetness, a nice aroma and it stays consistant all the way down to a nice medium gray ash. It comes in the tin in an almost rubbed out flake, I do like to rub it out a bu=it more in order to pack better in my pipe and the tin aroma is a nice sweet, hay like scent, very fresh smelling. It is a touch to moist for me out of the tin, so I do set it out for a few hours to dry or it's too hard to get lit and stay lit. Even then, I have to relite this blend often. The smoke is rich and creamy, and cool on the tongue as it is slow burning. I can't say this is the best VA I smoke, but it is a decent one. It is also very easy to find. Not for a beginner though. I recommend this blend as a nice change of pace.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)

Same cut and feel as their Golden Extra, which is nice. Seems like a nice Virginia, but burns a little hot for me.

Update: the secret to this blend, to me, is age, age, and more age. When I first tried this it burned the hell out of me so I put it away with a " Uh, I'm not gonna do that." a year later I tried it again and was really impressed. Maybe I learned to smoke better, but I think the tobacco aged so well that the flavor came out. I'm putting a couple tins away.

Yes, I would have to say that if your first impression of this tobacco is that its too hot and too tasteless, give it a try later down the road. Maybe not the best Virginia for a first try but it is a nice sweetly mild tobacco.

I smoke this all day, everyday and can hardly believe I once thought this tobacco burned and bit.

A wise man (on Youtube no less) once said pipe smoking turns your tongue to leather and that patient smoking comes whether you want it to or not. Cheers!

TeeRoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TeeRoy (2)

This was one of the first Virginia tobaccos I ever smoked. Initially the smoke starts out mild without much taste. However, not too far down the bowl the sweet Virginia flavor comes out. I absolutely love this tobacco accompanied by a good beer. I also started out having tongue bite issues. After I learned to slow down with this blend the tongue bite issue went away. In my opinion this is a great tobacco for the price. Which is why it makes up a considerable portion of my tobacco cellar.

alley00p Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alley00p (2)

This was one of my first tries of a Virginia. After reading the various reviews, I decided to try it, as it was available locally at a cigar store.

I enjoyed the aroma, upon first opening the tin. This was my first trial of ready rubbed tobacco, also.

Heeding the advice of many of the reviewers, I found that gently "sipping" my pipe gave me wonderful taste. A few times I puffed too hard and found myself with a mouthfull of unpleasant and harsh smoke. But I've found that I enjoy this tobacco, when I'm not rushed and I can take my time with it.

ark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ark (9)

This was my first tobacco that didn't have some kind of flavor in the name. Im warming up to it. Has a sweet grassy taste and a pleasant room note. This has slowly become my go to for a warm afternoon

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

This was the first Virginia tobacco I ever smoked. That was over thirty years ago. I loved it then, and I find I still do. It really hasn't changed much over time. It's still a sweet smoke, but not overdone. Much has been said about the bite factor. Yes, it certainly can, if your technique is off. I got careless on one pipeful, and got my tongue blistered. Easy smoking, however, will reward you with a delightful pipe every time. I wonder now why I ever got away from this blend.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Another classic I have only now made the effort to try. Should have done so earlier.

The tin aroma is somewhat similar to MB Mixture, but less honey-ish and somewhat less sweet. The leaf in the tin I got was just right for smoking; not too moist as some reviewers have experienced. Packing is the usual easy deal for a ready-rubbed; just don't stuff it too tightly, that's all. Lights up nicely and evenly, and burns all the way down with a minimum of dottle.

The room note is warmly dry and does not turn stale over time - I re-entered the room I had smoked this in the next morning and it was still nice. The taste is of sweet VA with some spiciness. Smoke this too hot and you'll suffer, though. Keeping it cool may be tricky at times, but it can be done.

The taste is even throughout the pipe, gains only little in strength and taste as you smoke along.

Not recommended for beginners, but this blend will be on my regular buying list.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (53)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a quite pleasant virginia mixture, unmistakingly Danish with its mild addition of the sugary honey Mac Baren casing. This blend has been with me for a number of years, even if I've wandered off into all sorts of different directions over the years, I still enjoy this one now and then.

The tin aroma is very sweet, and grasslike. It is quite exactly just as the description says, very sweet "golden" taste. No real surprises, though; on the verge of monotony in fact. But on the other hand, it is very accessible for both new and old and certainly has its moments.

I often use this blend to break in new pipes, and it does an excellent job at that, since it leaves very little flavour in the pipes, is ready rubbed and easy to handle and smoke, have a good price and good availability makes this a good value tobacco which is well worth a try.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)

I just wanted a plain no nonesense Virginia with a little sweetness and nuttiness to it without overwhelming candy flavoring. That is pretty much what I got.

As others posted, opening the tin was like walking into a haybarn. It is pungent in that respect. It packs and lights well straight out of the tin and stays lit leaving that little grey dottle behind. It did take a few bowls for the sweetness to kick in and it is there for me. This is not a mouth party. For me, it is a soothing, mildly sweet smoking tobacco with no bite.

Edit: This tobacco smokes cooler after drying a clump out for 30 minutes. Should curb the tounge bite as well.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

The tin aroma reminds me of dried figs. Very good first impression, since I tend to prefer aromatics. Beautiful dirty blond broken shredded flakes! Surprisingly, it is not too sticky, considering how sweet the smell. I rubbed it out a bit more, before packing bowl. Packed the shreds a bit loose. I have no problem keeping it lit all the way through to the bottom of bowl on one match.

It smells and tastes subtly sweet. The sweetness reminds me of chewing on a piece of rye grass. From the first, a noticeable tang...then, hot and juicy! Still, I kept smoking and shrugged it off as normal for an aggressive smoker. I started really paying attention, in terms of technique in smoking. So I began using VA #1 as a training tool in patience. I smoked it slower. Much better slower! And drier! Alas, still, it had some, rather enjoyable, tongue bite. I noticed a sweet after-taste on lips, leaving me wanting more. 10 minutes after smoke, hay-like smell in room.

This is my first Virginian flake and immediately ran out to buy another tin. Not going to be a day after day smoke. Tongue can't handle its roughness. Rather, this will be a change from the day to day. I'll try my best not to smoke until after a year. (See if it's true that it mellows with age.)

Can't really say I'd buy much more then a couple 100g tins. Too many others to sample. Reasonably priced at $8 for +/- 3 ½ oz.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Whew! This one is a sweetie, and by that I mean it's like sucking on a popsicle! The sugar content in this must be extremely high. But it's a good tasting popsicle and, like a popsicle, when I'm in the mood for it, nothing else will do.

This has great flavor that lasts all the way down the bowl. It's sweet but it's great at certain times. This is one of my favorite blending tobaccos! I've blended this with varying amounts of latakia, perique, burley, stoved virginia and even some McClellands Red Cake (which didn't work out too well for more than a couple reasons!) and it's so heavy in flavor that unless I went totally overboard with the condimental tobaccos, this one took center stage. But it was graceful in victory! Stoved virginias and perique with Virginia #1 yielded some nice results. The stoved toned down the MacB's a bit and the perique added some spice to the sweetness.

But still this is a nice smoke on its own. I couldn't smoke it all day every day just as I couldn't eat chocolate cake every day but I always have some on hand when the mood strikes. If you like a sweet virginia, you should definitely give this one a spin.

JGeisler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JGeisler (5)

Not being the experienced pipe smoker like many on this forum I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews. The "Bite" often mentioned only happened when smoking way too fast. It has helped me learn to slow down and relax while smoking. Relaxing is what it's all about for me to begin with. This is a nice mild tobacco. It has a very pleasant appearance and aroma in the tin. I really like this and will keep some around. It might be a bit boring for some but for me boring can be a good thing. I know what to expect and get it with No. 1. There are times I just don't want a complex smoke. If you are having problems with "bite" slow down and enjoy yourself. It's not a pipe race.

I have used this blend to mix with some other stronger tobacco to tone it down a notch with good results.

Fernalgas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fernalgas (8)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the first Virginia that I smoke...to me it has a sweet orange taste..I get lots of smoke from it...you do have to smoke it slow to get a real feel for it...unlike many other people I get no bite from this

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I received as a gift a 100grms tin of this six months ago, from a friend coming back from Holland, in place of some Escudo I asked him to find, but he wasn't able.

My review is so based on the last half of the tin. The humidity is just perfect, the colour is bright and medium brown. The pipe is a bend rhodesian, filtered with 9mm balsawood, medium bowl, Brebbia. This pipe has smoked exclusively this, and few others virginias.

Vno1 chars good and steady: until mid bowl the strength is mild, the typical McB "honey on toast" is present from the very beginning both on the tongue and the nose, really very pleasant, just a faint metallic note on the tongue tip. Leaves a sweet tongue. The palate is not scorched, even in deeper sips, just a bit acidic note, nothing so annoying.

From mid bowl to the end, everything melts fine with no aggressive notes, just a bit sourish. The strength develops to mild to medium. Reaching the end the smoke is pleasantly piquant, seems a VaPer... and the strength is medium.

Never a goorgle, no sharp notes, just the pipe a bit on the hot side (like all the Va's). Everything runned smooth, pleasant and satisfactory. I just wanted one more bowl.

Compulsory condition: sip slow and short.

Four stars.

pipewelder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipewelder (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mac Barens' Virginia #1 is, in my opinion, a good tobacco if you will take the time to dry it out somewhat because if not it will bite and bite hard. Also, Virginia #1 is good to learn how to smoke S-L-O-W-L-Y because of said bite. Overall a good tobacco...just be careful!!!

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)

Dry, Dry and Dry some more for those who complain of Mac Bite. I reference my review of Navy Flake and the accidental over drying that, for me, removed the stinging nature often labeled on Mac Baren tobaccos. This time I bought a fresh tin of #1 Virginia and quickly smoked a bowl resulting in that old familiar sting. Mac Baren?s tobaccos are of great quality, never meant to harm, so I had to find how to smoke it. So I left the lid off the tin for a good week or two. No kidding. I found a moderately cased Virginian that tastes great in a singularly varietal way. Also, I found it was great in an Old West (Tim West) conical bowled Zulu/Skater(?). It really intensified the flavor and yes the pipe could get heated. Heated because the magnifying flavor caused me to quicken my smoking pace even more- Oh my gluttony. I found tangy Virginian taste with a whisper of brininess. I didn?t get the honey flavor mentioned here in the reviews. The room note of tobacco pleased me as a smoker, non-smoker?s pound salt. A bit more nicotine would be welcome, but certainly not detriment to this blend. I understand the gripes I?ve read, but I?ve found renewed enjoyment in the Mac Baren line. Try it again, just this side of crispy.

schnorrer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schnorrer (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If puffed slowly and gently, it is a mild Virginia with a pronounced citrus flavor mid- bowl. If puffed hard, or with a dry mouth, or smoked outside on a windy day, it is likely to bite you and can taste very bitter.

Appealing can graphics and color, delicious tin aroma, packs and burns well.

UPDATE- This one really benefits from ageing. The good qualities are emphasized and the bad qualities nearly disappear.

Pipers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This has the potential to be a real virginia winner. The taste is there, the quality is there BUT the notorious Mac Burnen tongue bite is also there.

UPDATE * Sept. 08

After a long break i decided to give her a spin again.Initially Reluctant but hopefull this has turned out to be a real winner. I dried out the tobacco by opening the tin and leaving it in the open sun (yup) for 1/2 hour. Believe this: No tongue bite at all. This is tasty and rich smoked in my Tsuge Tasting (23mm) pipe. I hope to bring V #1 into my regular rotation and would recommend this as an excellent virginia.

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been dancing back and forth between the Stokkebye Luxury Virginia flake tobaccos. Luxury Twist, Navy, and Bullseye. I'm not always in the mood for perique so that knocks out Navy and Bullseye. In addition you almost need to be running on a treadmill when you light up Bullseye as to not be shocked by the increase in your hearts rate. My favorite point in the progression of the bowl when smoking Luxury Twist is at the very end when I taste the "grassiness" or "Earthy Hay" flavor from that virginia blend.

When going to replenish my tobacco supply today I decided to turn in a new direction and try a totally different brand.

I was taking a huge risk in my own mind buying Mac Baren because of former reviews I have read on this site referring to the brand as "Mac Blowtorch". I'm no stranger to tongue bite alternating between aromatics and non and sometimes even concocting my own blends between the two.

So being a pipe smoker just as you are I took another risk. Committed myself to a $10.40 100gram tin of Mac Baren's Virginia #1. I figured it being approx 25% more expensive by weight than by purchasing the same amount of Bulk PS Luxury Twist Flake.

On to my review... Upon opening the can I lowered my nose to the tobacco as I assume we all do to experience it's unlit personality. Sweet, Bright, Fruity, and Earthy. I keep seeing images of the blue box "Old Advertiser" smoking tobacco comes in if it's still being made. There is something kin to this with that tobacco.

Anyway...I dug my fingers in and noticed the tobaccos moisture content was slighlty dryer than I would consider a description of the word "tacky".

Still sitting in the parking lot of my local tobac shop I packed a small to medium sized Ducca Carlo bowl (Cheap Savinelli). That's my traveling around town pipe, I like to smoke my Nording Signature at home when I have the luxury of my hands available to me to manage it's massiveness.

Upon my first puff...Pure bliss. Not a whole lot of flavor here..but as smooth as it gets. I think the reason I am so happy with this virginia offering is due to that Earthy Hay flavor I have been searching for. I am leaving the lid off my tin to allow the moisture content to drop as I am noticing the need to relight more than I am use to however, this is truly nice.

No bite whatsoever. Room note...very mild but, it did sting my nose one time right after I lit it when the smoke wafted up into my face. I can definately see myself buying more of this if the mildness doesn't force me into something more substantial. I would have to say this has about 2/3 the flavor as Luxury twist and about 1/10th of the flavor of Solani 633 however that has perique so it's probably not a very good comparison. I will continue to work on this one to see what I am thinking in a few days. Burns to a nice salt and pepper ash.

defender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
defender (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I tried this after reading reviews and ratings, and a couple of helpful postings... I am newly acquainted to all the various blends but my experience with Virginia's and MacBaren had been "bittten once, twice shy." But I took my time with slow leisure draughts and found the sweetness surprising and tasteful. No bite, and the sweet taste stayed with me long after I finished the bowl.

Ankara_Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ankara_Dave (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite Virginia blends. In the can it has that ?barn? smell that many Virginia?s have. Burning in the pipe, it has a nice, subtle, and natural sweetness. Can it bite? Indeed, which is why I gave three stars rather than four, but if you sip, it can be a wonderfully relaxing experience. I find myself grabbing this tin when I get back to my office after lunch with a nice cup of tea as I ease back into the grind. I wish the folks at McB could figure out how to make this (and nearly all their other tobaccos) a little less "bitey."

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)

I purchased a few oz. of this from my local tobacconist's bulk bins just to try it out. It has some bite like most VAs, but good technique will help eliminate this problem.

The flavor has some depth thanks to the variety of VA used in this blend, and it smokes easily down to a fine gray ash. The taste is much improved by rubbing it out a bit more than I usually prefer.

As a VA this is pretty good and I think it stands up there with other straight VA blends I have tried and it is not very pricey. I will buy more of it, and so I give it 3 stars. (I prefer Gawith's Best Brown, for frame of reference.)

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading other reviews here I thought I was in for a real let down with this blend...Not so. My tin was at the perfect moisture level and lit with one match. I found a mild,sweet, Virginia taste which was there right to the bottom of the bowl. There was no bite and I didn't find this to smoke hot, although I smoked it slow. I'll definitely buy another tin of this in the future.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

A very nice middle of the road, straight virginia smoke. For a step up, choose Old Gowrie, or better still, Full Virginia Flake. Still, if you find those blends too sweet for your palate, this is your blend.

Sparky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparky (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Im just getting away from aromatics after coming back to the pipe about 2 months ago. I explained to my tobacco guy what I wanted out of a smoke and he gave me some suggestions. This was one of them, and I have been thanking him for it.

All my pipes are small to medium bowls, so my smoking experience is based on that.

Lights and Burns great.

The intial light can be a little harsh on the mouth if you go crazy puffin to get her lit, but after that, ohh... yummy is all I can say.

For being new to Virginias, this experience will keep me with them. Naturally sweet without any goopy casing... and it changes on each area of the tounge. No bite here, but Im a slooowww puffer. If you savor this tobacco, she will be nice to your stamp licker. Room note is odd, and my better half compared it to burning leaves, so unfortunatley, this cannot be a regular in the house.

All in all... I love this blend. It will no doubt be in my regular lineup and lead me to try additional Virginias.

Enjoyed a bowl of this while refinishing a fine side table I got at an antique store for $5. Great while working.

9 out of 10 here.

*UPDATE 11/27/07 I have had several more bowls of this, and almost finished the ounce I have purchased. It can definetly be a tounge biter, even for a slow puffer. It seems the first 1/3 of the bowl is destined to be hell, after that, not bad. Im gonna have to down this to 8 out of 10 and 3 stars.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Very Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

MacBaren VA#1 is a really mild,sweet,tastey smoke. However, like all Mac's, if it bites ya......... dry it and re-try it. Thats the only way I can smoke them. And since I discovered this. I really like MacBaren.

I gave it 3 stars but if it had some nicotine in it. Id giver 4

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I think Mac Baren flummoxes a lot of pipesters, and I don't know if it's a body chemistry thing, or a pace thing, or a dryness thing. Yes, this tobacco can bite. But it is very sweet, very easy to smoke, and does NOT bite if you dry it just a bit and smoke it slow, just like all the other MB products. They can git ya. But if you slow down, and look for the subtle flavours... man, Mac Baren makes damn good pipe tobacco.

This is like a slightly sweeter, slightly spicier Orlik Golden Sliced. Smoke volume is nice, and it's a satisfying pipe (and yet I am left thinking immediately about that sexy sweetness at the top of the bowl... maybe I'll pack another...).

Nothing overly exciting, though, and I doubt that a really experienced Va smoker is going to be putting aside the Marlin Flake for this product.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Another beautiful tobacco from MacBaren. This a ready rubbed VA with big flakes. The smell is nice and full, just a tiny sweet, the tobacco all golden.

But it's an all VA that didn't age much, so yes, you can expect a tongue bitting tobacco that will go flat after a while, quite quickly to be frank. But you can't expect miracles from a straight young VA with no Périque, latakia or turkish tobaccos to complement it.

If you're kind of experienced, you will like the tobacco, but not the smoke. Way too mild! BUT for anybody starting off, this will prove rather tasty, until you get higher in the smoking league.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

The tin aroma is of somewhat sweetish hay. The cut is nearer broken flake than ready rubbed, and it requires no particular care in packing. My body chemistry must be suited to Mac Baren products as I experienced no tongue bite.

The smoking experience is comparable to that of Virginia Flake from the same stable, though I prefer the flake version. Virginia no 1 is a mild mannered, soft spoken virginia which leads to no epiphanies but is a pleasant all day smoke. Experienced smokers may detect its virtues earlier than those new to pipe-smoking or those new to virginias. Recommended.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

You could do much worse than MacBaren's Virginia No. 1, it was a decent, pleasant smoke, that smelled good in the tin, packed well and I would smoke it again, if offered. That being said, it doesn't really compare to the Rattray's offerings as far as body and flavor are concerned.

When I want a bright Virginia with a mild sweet taste I will always turn to Old Gowrie.

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)

Heck, I thought I might as well chime in on this one. It was thrown in as a 1 oz sample from Milan Tobacconists(petty darn good tobacconists, BTW), and I thought I might as well give it a try. Yet... instead of picking up one of my VA briars, I rubbed it out a little more, until it was almost hair-fine, and packed it into a clay. Why waste a good briar on something that's been panned in the "tobacco press" was my thought. Good gosh, this blend smoked sweet and cool, with just the barest hint of honey to interweave with the Virginias. It's not a blend I'd go out of my way to stock up on, but if I needed a sweet VA smoke, and saw a tin of this out on the road, I wouldn't hesistate to pick it up. It's a mild, soft-spoken VA that's good for a short smoke, or for when I don't feel like the complexity of my favored English/Balkans. A solid three stars.

slartie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slartie (4)

I could smoke this morning, noon and night. It's mild, unobtrusive and just a nice smoke. It has the honey sweetness to it, as others have mentioned many times before. As much as I love Rattray's Red Raparee or spicier blends, I appreciate the simpler smokes as well. There is nothing fancy about VA No 1, which is part of its charm to me. You want Virginia, you got Virginia.

Bite? What bite? I believe bite is caused by chemical reactions that we have different reactions to. Me, I can puff this just about however I want to and never get bitten. The same goes for all of the MacBaren offerings. They all behave nicely. In fact, the only time I got bitten, was when I started smoking the pipe. I don't think it has anything to do with mastering the draw. I believe it's biology through and through.

To VA lovers, go ahead and give this a go. You might like it, you might not. Personally I will be having a lbs or two in storage for those simple days.

dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought VA No 1 in a smoke shop I saw while on a road trip because it was the only tinned pipe tobacco the poor guy carried (more of a discount cigarette place). I really didn't know what to expect. I have read on these forums that Mac Baren tobaccos bite terribly and always have some kind of awful topping on them, etc, etc. Needless to say, I was a bit apprehensive. I was also VERY pleasantly surprised.

I really like this blend. It is pretty mild to my tastes, but has a very nice subtle flavor to it. Others have described it here as a honey taste and I think that is pretty accurate. Is it a flavored topping? Beats me. But I like it and it doesn't overpower as the dominant, lingering taste of the tobacco. I especially like this in the morning, before I've eaten anything spicy or heavy (after that, it's Latakia time!), when I can most detect and appreciate it's mild taste and subtle nuances of flavor. Incredibly (based on some reviews here), I have not experienced tongue bite at all. I would really have to be working this tobacco pretty hard for it to bite. It was also the first tobacco I've tried that made me want another bowl right after. I think that's a pretty high recommendation.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this to be a somewhat sweet and relatively bland one-dimensional blend. It didn?t offer much to get my taste buds excited. This is probably due to the fact that it does tend to burn hot and this will dissipate and diminish its flavor. There are better VAs available that will please much more than VA #1 and that won?t require your full attention.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 6.0 out of 10.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have been smoking this on and off for about 25 years. The original VA #1 was a bright yellow, "lemon" VA. MacBaren seems to have changed it at some point; I don't remember when I first purchased a tin of this that was like its present configuration, but it has been quite few years back. I recall the original had a sharper taste, and if anything, bit more than the current offering. It was good, though. I find the present blend to be a friendlier tobacco and have less nip, although you still have to be careful with it. I think there is some added sweetness here, but not all that much. If you buy a tin of this and find it to be too bitey, try mixing it one half with MacBaren Burley. It makes a great tobacco, similar to their Golden Extra. I don't smoke this often, but always like to have some on hand. It's not complex like a British flake VA, but neither are many other good Virginias. It smokes good in a cob or small briar. If you enjoy something such as Golden Sliced I recommend you try VA #1.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)

Virginias with a flavor... is a good ready rubbed tobacco, a litle harmfull to the tongue, but very sweet and taste. Poor complexity is the defect of this tobacco. Ideal for Virginias`s lover who wants a straigth blend, with out sorpises.

Mr. Morbid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Morbid (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite premo brand name pipe tobaccos... Normally I smoke house blends of the local shop where I buy cigars and pipe tobacco...

As for the Virginia No. 1 by Mac Baren. Its a very enjoyable smoke... Has hints of honey in the taste of the tobacco... Friends of mine said there are also hints of melon I could not determine that... Over all its a very pleasant smoke...

I have about 4 ounces of this I bought in bulk. I will probably try mixing this with some good Burley to salvage it. This would be good without the honey topping. It is too bitey for me. Sometimes these tobacs can be enjoyed after some of the flavor evaporates. Rating: About two and one half stars.

Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Yet another review of this rather odd Virginia!

It proudly carries the nose-tickling-tongue-burning trait of most Mac Barens I've tried. But, unlike some of the esteemed colleagues who have also reviewed this blend, I do not find it to be particularly sweet, at least not in an artificial sense. It has that natural, molasses-like sweetness of many Virginias. However, it lacks the winy-raisin undertone present in Dunhill's Light Flake, Astley's 44 or most Rattrays'. Maybe that accounts for the honey on toast impression of Virginia No 1.

I am sure this is the same Virginia used in Mac Baren's Mixture. On its own it has a more palatable structure than when it is mixed with Burleys, Cavendish and the like. Not only because it is a Va., but because it is a Mac Baren, extra care has to be taken to avoid scorching the palate. If such thing is possible, then this can be a very tasty smoke, with a peculiar toasted undertone, a wheat or oats like flavour, and that very mild sweetness that seems to be at once, like the esteemed Lustra has pointed, repulsive and addictive.

It is a pity Virginia No.1 bites the way it does. This could be a magnificent morning smoke, invigorating and friendly, along the lines of, say, Orlik's Golden Sliced or PS Navy Flake. As it is, it's cute and all, but in the same sense a ferret is: be careful!

Dutch pipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dutch pipesmoker (2)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

This one is the first virginia I ever smoked. The first time it gives me very much tongue bite. Normaly I am a fast puffer but that is not done with this blend. After smoking a few bowls an slowing down my puffing speed I found it a nice sweet tobacco. I rub it out a bit more for easier packing and lighting. I smoke it in a big bowl with slow pufs. The first minutes after lighting it is sharp to the tongue but more towards the bottom I really enjoy it. There I didn't always have a opened tin I say it is an occasional smoke for me.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Very Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Despite the tin description this is strong, hot with a bite. Despite that I like it and smoke it on occasion. Ripe and bright golden virginias with a sweetener added. In fact this really is a cavendish tobacco. But the sweatness is not cloying or the blend overly moist like generic cav. with humicants. Imagine the blender sweetening a product like this almost up to the point of too sweet but not over, this is the case with this tobacco. Knowing many Mac Baren products and the information provided by the firm they use sweeteners along the lines of real brown sugar, honey and the like. This has a distinct honey/brown sugar tin aroma and smoke, with golden virginia flavors, as to be expected.

- recommended

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Hmmm. I disagree with some of the above.

The tobacco that I opened up has the lightest color I've ever seen, unlike that described by earlier reviewers. It has the semi-rubbed out flake appearance of Old Belt, but is very light tan. I wonder if we are smoking the same thing.

Agreed, it is sweet, even a couple notches above the saccharine Marlin Flake, but it doesn't come from honey or any other casing: this is just a very high sugar leaf, consistent with the light color. Delicious it is! The baklava of virginias. (I know... baklava is honey sweetened.) Maybe I should call it a "danish". I can understand the accusation of honey topping. In fact, there are even unique clover-y nuances there, reminding me of late spring. Very tasty! The room note is even socially acceptable.

As for heat, I notice my pipe does indeed get uncomfortably hot, but I smoke it in what I guess is called a 'system' pipe with a metal protrusion on the tenon. It must do its job as a heat conductor because the smoke is thick, rich and cool. It has been a while since I've huffed hard enough to get tongue bite, I now consider it an artifact of loading and puffing methods. No, this hasn't bit me, but I do want to brush my teeth afterwards. I suggest leaving it as little further rubbed as practical to slow the burn rate.

Yes, it does burn quickly, and therefore I don't dry it. I do have to use a pipecleaner half-way to mop up the condensed steam, but it's no worse than many other favorites of mine. It has its own demands, including the aforementioned pipe, but once I learned them, it is a great smoke. (One needs a dedicated sweet pipe for this anyway, unless you like sweet balkans...) Marlin Flake is still my all-time favorite VA smoke, but sometimes I just have to reach for this one.

Puf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puf (10)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Reading other reviews, I was surprised many people find this a tongue-biting blend, as I don't find it worse in that refard than most other blends when smoked to hot; recently tried a tin of Three Nuns, and found this much more difficult to smoke.

Anyways...first bought this on a day when I couldn't get hold of Yellow Capstan, and was pleasantly surprised to find it similar in taste, albeit with the addition of the famed MacBaren honey casing. Upon lighting, it is indeed quite hot as if you have to burn some of the moisture from the casing out of it or something; primary taste is mild virginia and honey, but smoke it slow and taste with both tongue and nose ( as you would with wine) it emits an interesting range of aftertastes ranging from smoky to flowery.

Usually I rub it out a bit before packing; there will be a bit of moisture if you smoke to fast, but not a particular problem compared to many other blends

This is another pleasant tin of weed from our fellow Brothers of the Briar- MacBaren!!! They are certainly one of the most consistent tobacco manufacturers out there. I find their tobacco to contain some sentinmental factor that takes me back to the time before I smoked a pipe and just wished that I did whenever I was around someone who was. That being said, this is a tasty VA with just a touch of honey, very similiar to the technique they used with Burley for Navy Flake. I still prefer NF more, but this is a nice change of pace. Although MB blends do smoke a little warm sometimes, I am amazed at their reputation for tongue bite, especially when compared to some other brands out there like McClelland. This is good pipe Baccy!

Bennywild Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bennywild (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have just recently begun smoking a pipe, and I have tried quite a few blends. I have found that heavy aromatics are not for me. When I asked a local tobacconist what would be a good, sweet, non-aromatic smoke, he pulled out a huge bag of Virginia #1. I took one smell and knew I needed it.

It doesn't disappoint. Perhaps my tastes aren't as developed as some smokers, but I can say that this is the only tobacco that I smoke regularly. Every other tobacco is on a trial basis with me.

The taste is very much a light virginia taste, but very sugary. I would not say that it is topped with anything, but I would say that the Virginia has quite a bit of natural sugar in it. If it is topped with something, it still smokes quite cool for me, and is particularly pleasant on the very back of the throat. That is where I notice the flavor the most.

-Ben

sinatra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sinatra (8)

I enjoyed this tobacco, even though I am an aggressive smoker. I did have to forego playing cribbage with the boys at the tobacco shop in order to focus on my puffing.

I tried this one in a fairly large, 1/8th bent Danish Sovereign Rhodesian.

The initial lighting was work, but once it got going, there were only occasional relights.

The taste was sweet Va enhanced with (?) that tasted very similar to the flavour enhancer in Original Choice. I liked the combo.

As for tongue-bite, I didn't notice any at the time, but today is another day (ouch). Not as bad as I thought it would be, but be careful.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginia No.1 was my first experience with a full VA tobacco. The shock of the tin aroma in the cab of my little Ford Ranger was totally unexpected. My wife said it smelled like a barrel of rotten or sour apples.

Upon the initial light, I was well pleased of the VA kick... The taste, at first, was a solid sweet VA... It eventually settled down a hair into an enjoyable smoke. I smoked it the rest of the day. This was the tobacco that got me into the VA's.

Watch your puffin' cadence!

*Although a good tobacco, I've somewhat left this blend for MacBaren's Dark Twist, Roll Cake and Navy Flake.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

It took me 5 years of off and on smoking to be able to handle the tongue bite this blend gives out...but it was well worth it. From the first try, I knew I enjoyed the flavor and aroma, but didn't have the style of smoking down to enjoy it much. Now it's a staple tobacco, along with Scottish Mixture, in my rotation. I think the quality of tobacco is top-notch in VA#1, the price is pretty good, the availability is excellent and with unhurried puffing, the blend is fantastic. I've always been a sucker for Danish Style Aromatics, and this is right up there as one of the best available.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

I believe the word is incendiary.

The pyrolagniac propensities in me love the sensation of caramelised sugar burning into my flesh, and every time I get the urge, I know Mac is ready to oblige.

If, for altruistic reasons, I wish to spare my tongue, I smoke this with a Peterson bit; it then leaves the loveliest blister on my palate.

Virginia is for lovers.

Newsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newsman (9)

This is not bad. If you smoke this stuff slowly, with small puffs, you will really enjoy it. If you puff it quickly and aggressively , you will get tongue bite. Flavor is Virginia, with some honey taste.

roonwit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roonwit (4)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a scrumptious Virginia tobacco. The tin aroma is very sweet. Although the tobacco is ready-rubbed, some folks might prefer a bit of rubbing out before smoking.

At any rate, the packing and lighting were no problem. After a few minutes, the smoke settled down to a cool, delicious experience.

This tobacco burned all the way down to a nice white ash. I did not detect any excessive moisture at all.

I like it and it a staple in my active rotation.

k1iu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k1iu (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

As both a MacBaren fan and a lover of Virginias, Virginia No 1 is a nightly smoke for me, usually in a fairly large-bowled pipe in the Moretti, Don Carlos, Vipratti family. The tobacco is dark reddish/brown, with a strong, sweet pouch odor. It packs well with only a quick rub, and lights easily. After an initial slight harshness, it settles into a smooth smoke, sweet and rich enough to stand up well to coffee or tea. It is not overly prone to bite, but does not appreciate aggressive puffing. Highly recommended to those who favor a sweet Virginia experience.

linuxconf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
linuxconf (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

A Mac Baren staple. This is ready rubbed, but I like to give it a good final rub out before packing. The tobacco is dark reddish in color and has a very sweet smell. Packing was easy, however keeping it lit required work and patience. Flavor was unmistakably VA. Smoke was lit but flavorfull. This is a good classic VA that should be in every cellar. I have had some that was aged and it seemed to do better.