A flake tobacco of select matured Virginia and mild Black Cavendish tobaccos, rounded off with an aromatic vanilla flavor. This combination gives an unusual blend with a pleasing sweetness and a special taste.

Notes: Introduced in 1999.

BrandMac Baren

2.7
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (94)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I feel the same way about this blend as I do with W.O. Larsen Signature. The room note is very "pipey." Honestly one of the loveliest sweet-aromatic room notes that I have experienced from a Danish style aro. Unfortunately for me that's where all positives come to a screeching, emphatic halt. I wouldn't go so far as to call the flavor of Vanilla Flake ghastly, but quite frankly it comes close. Overall the creamy vanilla sweetness so abundant in the side stream aroma was to my surprise utterly undetectable in the actual flavor. I did not experience any bite but the dirty ashtray flavor left on my palate was a whole different form of punishment. Did I mention how beautiful the flakes look?

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (88)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

One of the few aromatics I enjoy. A beautifully presented flake with fantastic vanilla tin note. The rubbed out flake is moist, but burns well. Not goopy like so many commonly available aromatics. Actually tastes like a good quality tobacco, unlike so many aromatics. Room note is a crowd pleaser. Pleasant for a once-in-awhile aromatic smoke. Does not appear to leave a ghost as far as I can tell. Though if one were to smoke this regularly, it may benefit to dedicate a pipe.

Edit: Mother-in-law visiting. Sitting around after dinner. Perfect occasion for an aromatic. I light it up, tin about a year old so plenty of time to dry. And I'm reminded why this is one of the few aromatics I enjoy. Smoker happy, non- smokers happy. Win/win. I'm raising my review from three to four stars in light of the genre: for aromatics, it just doesn't get much better. Dry this one out and you will be pleased.

Another edit: months later. Decided to light this one up again. And I'm reminded that this is a unique blend - an aromatic for those who like tasting tobacco. True vanilla not just in the room and tin notes, but on the palette. Yet the Virginias are right there with the topping. What a great blend - royalty among aromatics.

ThePipeMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePipeMonk (4)

The Flake and Tin Aroma: Very Dark with strips of bright tobacco in it. The aroma is very strong when you open the tin and retains it even after the tin is open and used for smoking. The moisture content is high in the fresh tin but goes down low after a few days. The rubbing out process even after drying the flake for 10-15 minutes is sticky due to the sugar content.

Preparation: Ive smoked the flake fully rubbed, folded and stuffed, 1/3rd rubbed and the remaining folded in the pipe but the best results as far as I am concerned has been when the flake was fully rubbed and aired for 10 minutes.

The smoking experience: Lights up like a charmm. Experienced smokers wont need to relight it after the charlight as it keeps going on after the light tamping. New smokers would need to relight it a bit to keep it going. The roomnote defintely delivers a strong vanilla aroma to your nose, but it fails to deliver the same vanilla dose to your tongue. A word of caution, try not to overburn the tobacco as it will result in hot acrid bitter smoke.

The tobacco smokes like a charm, sip it slow or it will turn your bowl into a furnace, if you have properly aired the tobacco it wont go out. Patience is the key when you smoke Mac Baren blends or any tobacco. The taste is pretty straightforward the cavendish gives a mild taste and the VA come out once in a while with the vanilla. You cant go wrong with this tobacco blend.

It certainly is a crowd pleaser and will only get your praises for its room note.

The tobacco degrades gracefully reducing itself to an elegant dark grey ash. Despite being an aromatic, the flake definitely has a strong tobacco presence, its strong and definitely gets you giving you a nice nicotine dose unlike lots of aromatics.

I highly recommend this tobacco to anyone wanting to smoke a high quality aromatics without the hassle of tongue bite, goop or dottle. It's not perfect but it does what it was created to do. It doesn't have the wow factor but not everything created in this world can be epic.

The Nitty Gritty

Pipes - Radford S Action Straight Billiard (9mm), 1/4 bent Svendborg Danish Freehand, Peterson Christmas 2014 B35 Zulu.

Tamper: Solid steel rod

Smoking Companions: Hot sweet green tea with fresh lime juice and a teaspoon of honey.

Relights: 6

Time taken for the full flake to be smoked: 50-60mins

Tobacco Components: Black Cavendish, Virginia

Age: 4 months

Cut: Flake

Moisture Content: Balanced, does not require airing for more than 5-10 mins depending on the humidity of the environment you are in.

Taste: Medium

Strength: Medium

Room Note: Pleasant

Will I buy again: Perhaps, it's a nice distraction from the daily rotation.

Pipe Used: Billiard (9mm), Danish Freehand, Peterson Zulu

Purchased From: http://www.smokingpipes.com

samwell711r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samwell711r (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'm a long time aromatic smoker. Some years ago I smoked a tin of this and kind of liked it, but didn't really make a note of it. Several months ago I thought about it and purchased a couple of tins. Although I still like aromatics the best, I no longer favor the heavily cased burleys that I used to. For a man who is not fond of latakia and still likes vanilla this is a nice choice The appearance is a nice mottled yellow and black, pleasing to the eye. I'm not sure of the portions, but a generous amount of Virginia is used. The tin note is superb. If you youtube this tobacco for reviews you'll find a funny one of a guy opening the tin smelling the tobacco, and then popping it in his mouth and chewing it up appreciatively. Clearly he had cleverly subsituted a bit of beef jerky beforehand but it was funny and this tobacco really does smell good enough to eat. Whatever vanilla blend they use is top drawer. I prefer the the fold and stuff method for packing, but sometimes use the fill and tamp x3. Either way it is to me a little work getting it going, but once it ignites I can usually get about an hour to an hour and 10 minutes per flake, perfect for my one hour commute to work. As good as it smells you can almost be dissapointed that the flavor of the smoke is not as evident, muted. Almost. I find it to be a nice relaxing smoke. Enough vanilla flavor to satisfy my sweet tooth, but with plenty of good acrid actual tobacco flavor. No gurgle, no wet dottle. burns down good leaving the bottom of your pipe damp but not wet. Its like another reviewer said. You don't really give this much thought. It dosen't have the wow factor. Just a good smoke you dont pay any attention to Then one day you suddenly realize, you've been reaching for this tin almost every day at least once and you are horrifyingly out and you miss it while waiting for a new order to be delivered. It does not bite but it can be a little sharpish on the tongue if you are careless. Pretty high quality tobacco. I think this one was done just right. A good companion like a good dog. Not intrusive just a pleasing hour that lets you focus on other things other than the tobacco. Perfect

Pipe Used: Boswell, EJHeberling, Downie

Age When Smoked: 1 year

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

An excellent choice for the Virginia smoker who craves an occasional aromatic.

My initial impressions of Vanilla Cream Flake were favourable, but not intensely so. And yet the contents of the tin vanished in almost record time. Midway through I began to realize just how comfortable this tobacco is. Very calming ... an ideal companion for desk work.

I find the flake version a bit smoother and deeper in flavour than the loose cut. Preparation is simple: 5 minutes of air time, double fold, and insert loosely into the pipe. Fresh out of the tin can be moist, in which case it pays to rub lightly into a coarse broken cake.

Having smoked a considerable quantity of this tobacco I can attest to the other reviewers' praise of its aromatic quality. The vanilla is creamy and understated compared to many other vanilla aromatics. And very natural tasting.

Which is preferable, Loose Cut or Flake? I give a slight nod to the Loose Cut for its greater spiciness and value. But it's a very close call.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: online vendor

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream Loose Cut, Newminster - No. 400 Superior Navy Flake.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)

Vanilla Flake is one of Mac Baren nicer blends. As a new pipe smoker i remember greatly enjoying this blend. The vanilla/sweet virginia flavor kept me very interested and introduced me to the wonderful world of virginia tobaccos and flake cut tobaccos. I would recommend this blend to new pipe smokers. It has enough aromatic vanilla flavor to appeal to any new comer and will help ease then into new areas of pipe smoking. A great stepping stone into the wonderful wonderful world of flakes. However, a downside to this tobacco is the tongue bite. It seems no Mac Baren blend is immune to this. Though this downside will most definitely help new pipe smokers learn the value of patience when enjoying a pipe. Unfortunately the tongue bite plague of Mac Baren is enough to keep me from purchasing this blend. Nowadays I've lost interest in aromatics and have moved on to stronger virginias, burleys, English blends and all other wonders the tobacco world has to offer. Aromatics are now in my past but to new pipe smokers looking to find a wider variety of pipe tobaccos and cuts while learning patients I would recommend giving this a try.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Heavenly room note, great tobacco taste , not overly sweet and cheap. This flake is great when you want to please others around you while still enjoying a great smoke!!!!

Maccas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maccas (6)

Bought this tin from The Pipe Shop in Frome, South West England. Go there if you can. Opened the lovely tin to a wonderful smell. Flakes rubbed out well and packed nicely. The first few sips were quite chemically and left me disappointed. It does settle down, lovely white smoke. Bit me hard - think this is what is called the Mac Bite. not sure if I would bother buying again.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This tobacco seemed like a great idea. I imagined a predominantly Virginia Flake, with possibly a hint of cavendish and vanilla. What I recieved was mostly full-fledged cavendish with some fleeting moments of Virginia and vanilla. This tobacco is very smokable in that it was easy, cool burning, did not goop the pipe or have a chemical taste... but that's because it doesn't HAVE a taste. It is sooo boring! Now I'm sure cavendish has its place; I just can't figure out what that is. It is tastless. It is like drinking Bud Light instead of real beer. I guess people want to smoke a pipe but don't want to taste anything. To top it off, my wife couldn't even smell a roomnote... and I was sitting right next to her. You might as well be smoking CBW. At least then you could please those around you if not yourself. Not recommended. Buy something with more substance.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful aromatic flake, perhaps the best vanilla tobacco that I have ever tried (this far, as always!). It comes in a nifty little tin with very neatly packed bright VA flakes nestled inside. The moisture content is pretty good right out of the tin, but the smoking quality improves with a little more drying outside of the tin. The tin aroma is fantastic, and smells of rich natural vanilla. The room note while smoking is the same, and equally pleasant.

This has the look of a VA flake that could just destroy your mouth. Thankfully, in this case looks are deceiving, and it is in fact a cool, comfortable smoke when dealt appropriately, meaning no freight train puffing. It rubs out nicely, lights readily, and burns evenly down to the bottom of the bowl. The flavor is rich VA and cavendish with a hint of vanilla. The VA's in this flake seem different than the typical Mac Baren VA, which can lend itself to tongue bite when smoked improperly due to the retained sugars. In the same vein, while this flake smells sweet and wonderful in the tin, it does not taste overly sweet when smoked. This enhances the ability to enjoy the natural vanilla flavor. Some reviewers have noted a "chemical" flavor, and some have gone so far as state that natural vanilla is not used. Numerous retail sources, however, identify the vanilla used as a natural flavoring. While there is nothing wrong with stating what you subjectively taste (I for one taste nothing remotely resembling a chemical flavor, but taste is subjective) it is not correct to state that a blend has or does not have something when you are factually wrong, or simply do not know what you are talking about (how many silly comments have been made about tonquin by reviewers who did not know that such a thing even existed?). love it or hate it, all sources point to the use (and explicitly state) of natural vanilla.

I for one love it and think everything really comes together with this flake. This is a must have for everyone. I think you could even put a pinch of latakia in there, if you are one of those types who cannot live without that flavor, and it would taste delicious. I am going to go smoke a bowl right now!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Spigot

Age When Smoked: 3 yrs

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Fans of Vanilla aromatic pipe tobacco blends will find this to be quite pleasant. It has a smidgen of a tobacco taste, yet is loaded with enough vanilla to please the palate.

I have tried many "Vanilla" enhanced tobacco blends over the years and this may just be the best yet. It burns clean and mostly dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This is not a biter either.

When reviewing tobacco types, I try to judge each blend on its own merits and compare it against its own genre. Would I prefer this to a hard punching straight Virginia? No. Would I prefer this to most vanilla flavored blends? Absolutely. Therefore, I do recommend MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Flake to my friends who enjoy quality aromatics, particularly those laced with heady doses of Vanilla.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco can be awful or wonderful. I have had bowls that were hot, flat, and unpleasant. I have also had bowls that were extremely smooth and flavourful. I have gone through two tins of this flake, and have yet to determine a proper packing method.

When it is good, it is very good, but when it is bad it is horrid.

farhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farhan (5)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very pleasant aroma and smell when opening the tin. A very promising taste when you start your first sips. But that 's all. Finished ! No more. Before reaching half the bowl there is nothing left of the taste and vanilla. And it gets hotter and hotter . At this stage, for me , a sort of headache and tongue bite starts to dominate, something different begins to develop to be completely disappointing. Never I could finish the bowl so many times I tried this tobacco. Even the room note fades out for nonsmokers as you go on !

Pipe Used: various pipes

Mville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mville (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

3 flakes of this were enough for me to decide i had wasted money. Tongue bite with every puff. Dont waste your time with this blend.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum

Age When Smoked: ?

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is one of the first blends I tried, several years ago. Thinking back I think I liked it quite a lot.

Now. Things have changed. Trying several hundreds of tobaccos later, not okay.

If your looking for just a good smelling blend, go for it. The taste is pretty good, casing wise. Besides the putrid tongue bite. Also an all day smoke because it is very very light. Which isn't for me. Not saying others wouldn't enjoy it.

With all said, A blend i'm glad I tried, but not for me.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg

Purchased From: Local Shop (J & R Fielding Co.)

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Firstly I noticed a lovely aroma from the un-lit tobacco . The flakes were easy to rub and I found them just moist enough . Upon lighting it the pleasure began ! It gives off lovely sumptuous smoke and the vanilla flavour is just what is required , subtle and does not become indomitable nor does it abate . The burn is even throughout the whole pipe and it stays lit well . It would also make a great entry level aromatic as the vanilla taste is just strong enough . In all it is really auspicious !

Pipe Used: Commoys elegance

Purchased From: Smoke King

TexasPipeGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TexasPipeGuy (6)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Overwhelming

Cut is great. The flake folds and smokes well. I would say the room note is ok but a bit much for me. This tobacco bites hard so watch out. I wont be buying another tin of this again.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Poker w/balsa filter

Purchased From: Highlands Cigars.com

LargeDomePtomey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LargeDomePtomey (2)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Nice smell when opening tin, but that is about it. There were a few moments throughout the smoke when some flavor try to make its way through, but it never made any distinct impression. Threw the rest away after the first bowl. There is some ok Virginia in there but it gets altered by the no distinct chemical "vanilla" flavoring. I will not be smoking this again.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Root Briar

Age When Smoked: no ageing

Purchased From: Faders - Annapolis , MD

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Incredible tin note. Probably the best I've smelled. Unfortunately, it bit terribly and had an underlying chemical taste. I tried blending with other tobaccos but could never enjoy it. This one is not for me.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (37)

Update: Prior two-star review based on one tin. I had ordered two and the second now forces me to retract my negativity towards both the quality of the virginia (better than thought -- call it good but by no means great) and the nic level (now adequate for me). High two stars.

I'm with the gent whose posting is immediately below. I'm not a big aro smoker but have a bowl or two from time to time (Villiger Mid-Day being far and away the best I've ever had). This beautiful looking and smelling flake tastes of bad virginia and, to boot, gives you no nic hit as a consolation prize. Moreover, if I'm going to smoke a vanilla leaf let it at least remind me of vanilla (apart from the room note). I have many, many more tins of better weeds in my den that will appease not only my taste buds but my bizarre attraction to the ceremony of taking tobacco from little rectangular boxes. I love to smoke as you all no doubt do as well, and if this tobacco suits you then have at it.

Informative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Informative (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Opened a 50g tin of this and was very pleased with the usual Macbaren Vanilla Cream smell. A nicely couloured dark virginia and cavendish was appealing to the eye. Rubbed out the damp flake and put er straight into the pipe. One charring light and she was roaring. The smoke was thick, white and milky, resembling that of a spray from a very taught snatch. A delicious sweet vanilla was the initial taste and then mellowed out half way down the bowl to a more subtle taste. Very easy to maintain and smoked down to a white ash. Now I tried the fold and stuff but found that I couldn't keep it lit as it was a bit damp. So rubbing the baccy out worked alot better. Room note was incredible and made my woman a bit hornier than she already was. A very fine tobacco from Macbaren and one that I will be smoking regularily with some drying time. Rating would be a 4 star out of 5.

pipelicidad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelicidad (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I suppose a blend of this sort, so heavily cased and aromatized, must've been designed for the Danish winter, when people smoke in closed environments because of the cold and a nice and friendly room note is much appreciated. In this context, this flake really exceeds, it has a very well done vanilla-fruity flavor, perfectly married with a nice Virginia leaf (which is somehow present in the smoking experience, though not explicitly). Despite being a heavy aromatic, Vanilla Flake doesn't feels like smoking a candy (I'm thinking in Prince Albert Vanilla Cav., and similar cheap aromatics), but something nicer, it's really a tobacco, but very mannered. Compared to his sibling, Vanilla Cream Loose Cut, both of them are very close, it's just a matter of which cut suits you better, flake or ribbon. Like some aromatics of this kind, Vanilla Flake must be smoked slowly and cautiously, or it can be very aggressive with the tongue. For me, this tobacco is like a dessert I fancy only once in a while, when I smoke it in the right mood, it's superb.

Mild Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

One of my favorite aromatics that the girlfriend/wife will always love. The only complaint I would have is the tongue bite that can get a bit annoying, and the lighting is a little difficult at times. However it is still a great tasting tobacco that is almost an every day smoke.

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)

I must say this is the best Mac Baren product I have tried yet, and maybe the pleasant surprise is why I am giving it a more favorable rating. I find most Mac Baren products to be hot, tongue biting, and chemically, but not the case with this blend. Smooth, but after two or three bowls in one day my throat does begin to hurt. I found some vanilla in both the taste and aroma, which made this a winner by my standars. I really enjoy the flake cut and the preparation it takes to get my next bowl ready. The tobacco smokes all the way down without relighting. Not a bad choice, but when I really want a nice tasting vanilla I will stick with Stanwell vanilla, the best I've found so far.

Jikkiyu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jikkiyu (1)

When I first tried it, I was expecting something with a little more vanilla in it, and so was a bit disappointed; however, as soon as you get over that expectation, it really is a very nice flake. It smokes cool and smooth, it has a very pleasant creaminess to it without entirely surrendering its tobacco taste. Now here is the thing: as I was packing my pipe once, my little sister happened by and took a smell of the tin. She told me "It smells like fig-newtons!" Now, having heard this, I must say, she was absolutely right. It smells and tastes like fig newtons. I can't even pretend to taste the vanilla anymore. All I can taste is figs. That being said, I like figs, and if you like them too, you will like this!

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)

Not too sure about this... First few smokes I didn't like it, the vanilla seemed too weak. After finishing the tin I have found it smokes best for me fully rubbed out and smoked slowly. The vanilla is very subtle but pleasant. I have got good feedback regarding the room note. This being my first danish aro, I wasn't expecting the very subtle flavour, but I think I like it. Enough nic to keep me happy, but not a heavyweight by a long shot. I will buy more of this to properly figure it out, once you smoke it for a bit it sorta makes a bit more sense.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (46)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Basically this version is much like the loose cut, except I found its flavours intensified a bit. My guess would be the pressing of the tobacco increased the intensity of the flavours a bit. Definately reccommend the fold and stuff method with a bit of drying time before smoking. Then it smokes like a dream. Great blend and the Mrs. loved the room note, she noted it from about 100 feet away even.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)

Strangely enough, when I bought my tin in spring 2009 I absolutely hated this blend. It burned hot hot hot, and I could never even really detect the vanilla. Over the years I have come back to it several times and still to no avail.

Today I was in a different mood, and decided to give it another go (having not tried it for at the least 6 months, probably longer). Today was just different, and I don't have the first clue why.

The tobacco was smooth, cool (especially for an aro), and actually tasted like vanilla this time! Plus, the note was completely marvelous. I don't have the slightest idea why today's experience with it was so different. I used the same pipe. Maybe the bit of age did something, but surely nothing that significant from the last time I tried this some 6 months ago. Maybe it's just me going crazy, but today, I really enjoyed this blend.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance is a brown flake. Tin smells of vanilla. Tastes lightly sweet with, of course, vanilla notes.

Lightly sweet with a nice vanilla flavour, but still biting even with a slow cadence. This is one of the nicer vanillas in re flavour, but also comes with the dreaded Mac Bite.

Dr Pipeflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr Pipeflake (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Many Aromatics bite me, no matter how slow I smoke. It is a pleasure to find one I can smoke with little or no bite, full tobacco flavor with just the right amount of gentle vanilla sweetness. There are many cloyingly sweet vanillas out there but this is not one. Rich tobacco goodness. Nicotene level seems good. It won't knock you over but it will leave you satisfied. A+

ADz Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ADz Pipes (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The best vanilla tobacco period - so far - the loose cut was good but on a recommendation that I try this, well, its superb, more flavour than the loose cut - burns to ash, no bite, I rub it out carefully, not too much then take a bit of time to pack it, and the reward is the perfect vanilla. The tin aroma is pretty good, but NOTHING in comparison to the smoke, - if you are an aro fan, with TASTE - get some or - get outta here!!! (on my 2nd tin - alright already - ordering more soon) I Youtubed my review too.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Now this is an aromatic I can live with. My tobacco of choice is MacBarens Navy Flake, but this Vanilla Flake, may....have edged it out. It's a similar blend of Virginia's and Cavendish, but the expert "touch", of the Vanilla casing, is both subtle, and sublime. Upon opening the tin, it's no doubt....vanilla. But, when smoked, the taste of vanilla, and slight sweetness, adds to, not detracts from, the Virginia and Cavendish tobacco's. For those tobacco smokers, like me, who prefer the natural taste of quality, cured tobacco's like Navy Flake, Virginia Flake, etc., you may want to give this MacBaren aromatic a try.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A surprising flake, flavorful and inhabited with a decent dosage of Vitamin N.

Burns nice and slow, releases tobacco taste despite the very present vanilla casing.

Just 1 thing: I recently opened a 1 1/2 year tin, and it took on a slighly salted side. So, if I may give an advice, try to smoke them ASAP after purchase.

Overall, a nice flake. I will rebuy.

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'm a big fan of Mac's vanilla creme loose cut, so I decided to give the flake form a try. This review is going to be a comparison between the two for the most part. Since this is a review of a favorite ya can't blame me for this disorganized rant.

First off, the tin note wasn't as strong or pleasant as with the loose cut, witch was a minor disappointment (very minor) still the amazing true vanilla smell that hooked me. Flakes were a little moist so let them sit for a while before loading. I used the 'fold and stuff' method that Mac' recommends, seems to be a bit quicker method of packing; just take a couple flakes and stuff. A word of advice that I learned a little to late is using a pipe tool to push the tobacco on the walls of the pipe towards the center before lighting, or else you may have the tobacco burn in the center leaving the sides un-burnt.

The flavor was pretty much the same although the topping seemed a little lighter, letting the taste of virginia's get more of the spotlight. Quarter way through the bowl I felt the 'mac-bite' so many complain about, but that was mostly user error: the flake burns a heck of a lot slower so smoking too fast will just heat the tobac up really quick. After I slowed down I got loads of nice blue-ish tinted creamy smoke that just kept coming, and came it did for 1.5 hours. Near the end of the bowl the topping was pushed a bit further back and the strength of the tobacco increased to give me a nice nicotine buzz that I've never had from an aromatic.

All said and smoked, the flake version of my favorite aro' tobacco has earned a permanent place among my other tins. Is it better than the loose cut?- Maybe- but if it is better it is better in a different way (better vitamin N and longer burning) It wont replace the loose cut in my rotation, but I will always have a tin or five on hand.

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Just coming to the end of a tin of this tobacco, and ordered another online. Have grown to like it over the past year. Was not sure at first, as it seemed to smoke too hot, but since using the MacBaren-recommended "fold-and-stuff" method, it's much better behaved. I find the smoke benefits from letting the flakes dry out somewhat also.

This is a sweet smoke, staying in my rotation for sure, really like it. Enough "N" to satisfy, good balance of flavours, especially nice to smoke indoors as the aroma is fab. Puff gently and enjoy! I'd say give it a try.

A year on: am upgrading this one to four stars because it's grown on me so much. I agree with some other reviewers that drying out is the key with this tobacco, that and slow sipping. I like it fully rubbed out and well packed.

If you take the time to get to know this one it is no less than amazing, IMO.

30.11.12 Update: Downgrading to three stars after a long struggle. This is a strange beast indeed! It seems from the other reviews that it bites some folks but not others. It surely does bite me, unless I'm extremely careful with it, and have abandoned it for the foreseeable future, as I value my tongue. I found it impossible to smoke straight away, even with a bit of judicious drying. The only time it seemed to work for me was after I'd put it away for a year, after getting badly bitten. I got it out on a whim, and it was pure bliss! It reminds me of that old rhyme - when it was good, it was very, very good, but when it was bad, it was horrid. I just think that no pipe tobacco should make me work that hard, or wait that long. It's an enjoyable hobby, right?

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I got this because I thought it would be a great compromise with my wife, her liking the vanilla and me liking a flake tobacco with mild flavoring. Well the wife loves it but to me it's kind of flavorless. Mild on tobacco and mild vanilla. Especially when you get towards the bottom, the vanilla all but disappears. When I got it from the Tobacconist it seemed awfully dry so I tried to humidify it. Maybe I got a bad batch?

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (11)

Like with the other Mac Barens, very nicely presented tobacco in a little golden, black and off-white tin, and the tobacco is wrapped in a golden coloured wrapper. The tobacco is a nice, thinly sliced, tightly packed flake. Very strong tin scent of vanilla, milk chocolate and fudge, bordering on artificial. Unfortunately this doesn't come across too much in the taste for me. Upon lighting, flavour is barely noticeable; a bit like puffing hot air. It comes on better and better through the bowl though, and towards the end I get really quite pleasant, albeit weak, dry, teak-y vanilla flavour with a good tobacco bitterness. Room note, on the other hand, is a very pleasant, un-smoky rich vanilla tone. Seems to be a hit with the non-smokers around, and leaves a pleasant faint sweet vanilla scent to the room the day after.

I find it works best with the fold and stuff method of packing. Two flakes works fine in a corn cob. Like that I usually go through the pipe without relights (save the charring light and my habitual relight after the first 3/4 of the bowl). Rubbed out it tends to smoke a bit hot. Never had any problems with tongue bite though (nor have I with any other Mac Barens). Nicotine is hardly noticeable in this one (which of course can be a good thing sometimes).

I think for me the main problem is the mis-match of tin scent and flavour. A tobacco that smells this strong and sweet in the tin should live up to it in flavour. This on is just a little bit too much on the bland side. Overall it's not too bad though. I will certainly finish the tin, but not sure I would buy it again.

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Good aromatic: very little tongue bite, true vanilla flavor, a tasty Virginia leaf and great burning qualities. Compared to other vanilla aromatics, the flavoring is on the mild side of the spectrum.

A little bitter for an aromatic: I like the high Virginias percentage in this mixture, but their natural sweetness is not enough for an aromatic. More Cavendish or a more noticeable sugar casing would have improved this blend.

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the best aromatic tobacco.

Mellow and sweet.

Tastes as it smells.

More than 70% high quality VA.

Good body.

Good Vitamin N.

Burns slow and steady(if you pack right).

Absolutely no tongue bite.

-If this tobacco bites your tongue, you seriously have to reconsider your packing/smoking method. My wife is a none smoker and this one doesn't bite her tongue, she likes it and gets a few puffs when I pick this one to smoke.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)

This is the best aromatic flake I have smoked so far, mellow tobacco taste is accompanied with a sweet and mellow casing, High quality virginia with round and creamy vanilla cavendish, I didn't rub the flake completely , just broke it into long thick strips and rounded them lightly into a ball and stuffed into my pipe, No tongue bite , sweet and mellow virginia taste, goes into my favorites.

PipeLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeLover (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Im new to pipes (about 20 bowls in) and everyone told me to get aromatics to start with, but I find English and Virginia blends more to my liking for some reason. This one is kinda in between.

Although in my opinion reviewing tobacco is pointless, since not everyone uses the same exact tin to review, and each harvest is different from the one before (heck each bowl is different that the last) and no two people have the same taste buds. I will attempt to "describe" my experience with this tobacco.

I purchased 2 tins and a bulk pack of this one. I think the tins are better tasting so I will go with the tin version. I like it. It has a very pleasant and relaxing vanilla room note even for the smoker. If I smack my lips and tongue I can detect a faint taste of vanilla, and more of a coffee after taste. There is a dominant tobacco taste which is good. There is tongue bite if you puff too fast, and there is slight tongue bite when you light, since you puff faster ( I do). But when you sip, the bite goes away. I used this with a cob, both with a filter and without. More taste and bite without a filter. Taste is consistent to mid bowl, then milder the rest of the way, that can change with the next flake. No goop, nice white ash, good smelling bowl residue. Wife loves it, she said it smelled like a cookie factory in Denmark.

Finding a good all day, and a good aromatic is very frustrating and expensive, but this one goes in my "I like it" drawer and will be smoking more. Overall its good 3.7 out of 5.

cranziron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cranziron (9)

I'm not an aromatic smoker, but I've been looking for a tobacco to smoke in public or around other people that will not be offensive and still have real tobacco flavor. Well, this is it!!! A wonderful aroma that's been a hit with just about everybody yet real tobacco taste that keeps things interesting. Even fully rubbed out I had no problem with bite as long as its sipped, which gets the most out of this smoke anyway. A really high quality "hybrid" tobacco!

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a splendid cased flake!

The tin aroma is vanilla. The moisture content is minimal. The flakes feel like they are almost dry.

However,despite this impression and despite the fact that there is only about 25% of Black CA, it still smokes kind of slow.

It has a soft, delicious vanilla taste. And my wife LOVES the room note!

OldGrayBeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldGrayBeard (3)

Another blend that is permanently in my rotation as much because of my wife's enjoyment of the room note as my enjoyment of the flavor. Almost every time I light a bowl, She-Who-Must-Be-Pleased says, "Is that your vanilla? It smells good!" It is always a good thing to please Herself.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I fear She-Who-Withers-With-A-Look, I would risk her wrath if I didn't enjoy this blend. Fact is, I do. Enjoy it, that is.

Moisture content in this blend is everything. Too much and it will bite like Cujo and taste like Cujo droppings. Too little and it won't taste bad, just not very aromatic. I just finished a tin that must have been opened more than most because the last few flakes were quite dry. There was very little vanilla flavor left, but still a very nice Virginia taste. And apparently a good bit of that appealing room note.

I'm afraid I can't give it 4 stars. It's a bit too mild and has a bit too much tongue bite for that. But I'll give it a solid 3. Far better than any other vanilla blend I've tried.

Callisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Callisto (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Interesting flavor. Don't know if I would call it vanilla, exactly, but a kind of sweet, woody taste. I find it very pleasant, whatever it is. It is mild, and the smallest puffs yield the best flavor for me, with no nose-exhale necessary.

I like aromatics, and find this a good one. If you are a fan of such things, give it a try.

Bike Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bike Pipes (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The executive summary for this blend: It's a mild tasting flake, it packs, lights and burns well but if you're smoking it because you like the flavors that come through with aromatics, then this isn't for you.

As with most other Mac Baren blends, this one is composed of a high quality tobacco leaf, the tin aroma is fairly nice and one would expect the smoking experience to taste much like the tin aroma; however, this is not the case. The flakes come out of the tin just moist enough to fold and stuff, yet dry enough to light normally. Even when smoked aggressively this tobacco hardly bites, but then it hardly tastes like anything either. I was expecting some vanilla flavor, maybe not a Captain Black White dousing of vanilla, but it's actually quite lacking. Even exhaling through the nose can't pull any flavor out of this tobacco. I will continue to smoke the remainder of this tin but I doubt I'd be buying another.

jvande7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvande7 (15)

I prefer Dan's Blue Note if we're talking aromatics, but this Vanilla Flake seems to have it's fair share of followers so I gave it a shot. I'm a novice pipe smoker but here is what I've found... the first bowl of it burned my tongue something fierce. That was obviously due to user error. Well, user error and overly moist tobacco. This stuff needs to air dry for at least 30 min before smoking for best results. It really needs to dry up a bit to take the bite off. If dried properly and packed/smoked properly, this is a fine tobacco. Pleasant smell, smooth and sweet taste, but not the worlds best by any means. Try it if you like aromatics, you might dig it. Just don't say I didn't warn ya about the bite. This is a fussy tobacco, but if you can tame it, then good on you.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

As far as I can tell, this is the same blend as MacB's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut in flake form. That cut gives the blend a little more strength and body through the bowl. It is still my hands-down favorite. I am beginning to prefer the flake to the loose cut, and may now start buying the flake by the pound as well.

The vanilla casing it top-quality. Not sugary or hot. It is certainly noticeable in tin, and as other reviewers have noted here, this blend never fails to get favorable comments from passers-by.

Tobacco flavor is not at all missing from this blend either. This is a finely crafted, well-rounded aromatic.

I have to echo other sentiments here about the "MacBaren bite." I have never noticed it in this or any other MacB blend I have smoked. All aromatics tend to burn a little hotter due to the added flavoring. Slow down. It isn't a race. MacBaren makes some of the finest blends around. Take your time and enjoy!

newsmoker1977 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newsmoker1977 (1)

I find this blend much more pleasant after several months of aging in a sealed jar. Just for kicks, I bought about 8 oz. of VCF about 10 months ago and didn't really care for it then, but seems to get better with a little age.

It has been a long time since I could say I actually enjoyed a vanilla flavoured tobacco. After a few pipes of Vanilla Cream Flake, I finally can say it again.

The small tin hints at a very compactly pressed flake. Opening the tin, a nice, almost understated vanilla note sets out to explore the room -- understated, that is, in comparison with the vanilla-with-some-tobacco concoctions that had turned me off anything vanilla over 15 years ago (Black Luxury comes to mind...).

The small size of the slices makes this flake suitable to small bowls; these days, I usually fold, twist and fill my flakes, so for most tinned flakes I need pretty tall bowls. Not for this one, though.

Lighting takes a little patience (that may change once the slices dry out a little), and right at fitst things are pretty mild and mellow. After about half a bowl, things become stronger and sweeter and the room note gains a little more punch. Even from a fresh tin, Vanilla Cream Flake burns down to the last embers without going out if smoked steadily.

Overall, a very nice blend, and another one I would recommend to the beginner who likes things aromatic; particularly recommended for novice flake smokers or even the more experienced smoker who likes a nice, mellow aromatic flake.7

Update 09.06.26: I have smoked this flake rubbed out a few times to accommodate my smallest bowls, and stuffed in that style, the Vanilla Flake becomes more full-bodied, fully sweet and somewhat hard to handle; you need to keep it tamped down well, but I'd say it's well worth the effort.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

I am usually not a lover of aromatics, but sometimes I want to reach for something sweet. Since MacBaren uses quality leaf compared to other brands of aromatics, I gave this one a try. The fact that it was in flake format was a bonus, too.

First of all: this is one incredibly slow-burning tobacco. If you fold the flakes like the MacBaren website shows, a couple of flakes will last at least a couple of hours... so be sure you have some time to enjoy your pipe! As a result, it burns cool and dry, which is certainly a nice thing: this is not a scorching and goopy aromatic!

The vanilla flavoring could be more intense and sweeter: this one smells rather natural, but I also detect some hint of alcohol in it, and something that smells like fermented bananas. Other vanilla blends I have tried are much sweeter and intense in the flavoring department. It WILL still flavour the bowl easily, though, so keep it for a dedicated pipe...

At the match, as I said, the tobacco burns great. And the smoke actually tastes of tobacco. I would almost be tempted to say that it tastes more of tobacco than of vanilla, which is quite a feat for an aromatic (they usually either only taste of the flavoring, or of hot air). Problem is that, like other MacBaren tobacco, it is a very mild tobacco. Good, but it leaves you wanting something stouter. Anyway, it has some nice body and mouthfeel, and it is a nice Cavendish and Virginia blend... simply, I just wish it was more flavorful.

Room note is VERY sweet and persistent. If you like vanilla, all right. But my wife said that it's a bit more intense than she would have preferred: sometimes even too much of a pleasant thing can be too much...

Overall: a vanilla flavored flake was a nice idea, and it's a quality tobacco. But in the same genre, I prefer the German blend called Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a decent aromatic vanilla Flake with Virginia/Cavendish, the vanilla flavor is deep and full, the Virginia used here is good quality, the smoke is sweet, full bodied and consistent, not as creamy as the loose cut version.

This tobacco improve dramatically with time, I recently opened a 2 years old tin of this, the smoke was Mellow, very cool, deep and tasty, so far much better than the fresh opened tin I am smoking now. This blend is actually my favorite Vanilla flake tobacco.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've been thinking of trying this for a few years now, but never got round to it. Glad I did, maybe this is the best vanilla aromatic I've tried. I tend not to enjoy the sticky cavendish aromatics so much, but all kinds of flakes, english mixtures and plugs are my kind of thing. This treads the line between aromatic (strong, sweet room note and a flavouring you can taste) and flakes (tobacco flavour, strength, and slow, cool burning) rather well.

The aroma on opening the tin is STRONG! Vanilla, lots of vanilla, backed up by an alcoholic scent (brandy?) and something slightly floral, perhaps rose. Not in a soapy way, this is not lake district tobacco, I think it's something they use to make the vanilla casing more interesting. It is packed very nicely, wrapped in gold paper, the flakes neatly cut, stacked and without excessive moisture. They tend to dry out further, suggesting that they are not soaked with humectants, which is just as well, it burns the better for it.

It lights with ease- one match, if rubbed out. I like to rub it out fully, of smoking indoors- helps keep it lit, with an even burn. If outside, I'd rub it less, or just roll it up, if it was windy. The key to enjoying it, like a virginia flake, is breath smoking. Gentle sips, don't puff too hard or you'll steam your tongue. Take it slowly and gently and you'll enjoy the flavour- there is a tobacco flavour, and there's plenty of vanilla flavour too. This is what I find hard to do with the really sticky aromatics- if you smoke them gently, they keep going out. Not so with this blend.

The flavour does not develop through the bowl, but remains fairly consistent to the end. It burns SLOWLY, and even a small pipe will last a very long time. Nice to smoke while doing something else like watching a film, reading etc. I wouldn't smoke it just to sit down and have a smoke, it isn't complex or interesting enough. But it's a nice tobacco to have going, and people do like the smell!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

This has the exact same tin fragrance as the loose cut version. The flake is a little stronger and less bitey if smoked in flake form. Strong vanilla fragrance combined with quality tobaccos. Dry it out well and most of any bite will be eliminated. Sweet and tasty !

AndrwHock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AndrwHock (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I would like to preface this by saying that I am not primarily a smoker of aromatics. I tend to lean toward latakia blends and the like. I picked up a tin of this at the recommendation of a fellow pipe smoker.

I found this to be a bit too mild for my tastes. The vanilla is definitely noticeable, and is not overpowering. It still leaves plenty of room for the tobacco flavor to come through. My experience with this blend was that there just wasn't enough tobacco flavor to fill in that gap, but the flavor that was there was definitely pleasant.

Filling and lighting was easy enough with this blend. I used the fold and plug technique and it lit fairly easily and kept burning quite nicely through the smoke.

For an aromatic blend, this is quite nice, but it doesn't pack much of a punch other than the bit of vanilla and tobacco flavors. not as good as the non flake vanilla cream as I have heard.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I like a vanilla aromatic once in a while, but this stuff just bites and stings like a bee. It's a shame because it has a pleasant enough taste and a wonderful room aroma.

I used one ounce of this as a blender in a 7-ounce blend and it justs dominates the blend. It certainly has a presence, and the bite transferred to the blend as well.

It is presented well, has a nice smell in the tin and the moisture level seems correct.

Stubshaft Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stubshaft (9)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

The flakes were brittle and crumbly. I tried to prepare it in various ways, rubbed out, stacked, folded and cut into small pieces. They were all the same. A hint of vanilla taste and a healthy shot of tongue bite. If you sipped the smoke out of your pipe you would spend most of the time relighting your bowl. A real disappointment,

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

When I picked out a can of MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake, the owner of the tobacco shop was excited to tell me how happy she was to have it in stock. She's had requests for it & had been unable to get it for a while. After trying it, I'm excited that she's been able to stock it. The tobacco is a nicely packed flake wrapped in gold colored foil. The can hisses when the seal is broken & re-closes well. The flakes of tobacco resemble MacBaren Navy Flake but darker. The flakes feel dense & slightly sticky. The aroma is sweet, fruity & the vanilla is rich rather than perfumed like some other aromatics I've tried. I don't get any chocolate hints from this as I've heard others say. That's fine, as I can't stand the smell of burnt chocolate. I found that the MacBaren flake rolling method is better for this tobacco rather than rubbing it out. The rubbed out tobacco seems to burn quite a bit hotter than if rolled. A small amount rubbed & placed on the roll helps to get the bundle burning. Error on the side of a smaller roll as forcing a too large bundle into the pipe will not smoke well. The initial taste is a smooth vanilla, almost like liquor. As the tobacco heats up there is more of a toffee aroma & taste. This continues thru the smoke. I get the impression of homemade milk caramel, Werther's candies and Heath toffee as the flavor takes off. There is a nice sweet, slightly toastyness to the aroma. The flavor goes well with strong, black coffee. I've had no problem with bite when smoking the tobacco rolled as opposed to rubbed. The tobacco smokes down to dry ash & I haven't had a problem with wetness during the smoke. The comments from the crowd are all very positive on the aroma. More than the occasional "nice pipe smell", people stop mid-sentence to remark on how good it smells. This is more like a dessert when compared to Navy Flake but it is a regular item for me. In rotation with Navy Flake, Navy Flake makes a slightly better "All Day Smoke" but the Vanilla Cream is a real treat. This is cut above the stand-by aromatics on the shelf. Edited to remove ? marks

Edited 11/22/2011: Still a good choice but I'm reducing it to "3" stars based on the fact that I've grown to prefer some other aromatics that aren't as sweet.

Javelin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Javelin (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After unwrapping the gold foil within the tin you are presented with delightfully dark flakes of tobacco flecked with gold. The tin aroma reminded me a little of a pleasing mixture somewhere between home made creme brulee and white chocolate. Having roughly rubbed out a flake between my fingers, I packed it into a Peterson system 314 pipe that I have dedicated solely to aromatics. It took three attempts with my old boy lighter to get the tobacco alight, but afterwards it burned evenly and well all of the way to the bottom of the bowl. The flavour of vanilla is present throughout the smoke, though it did fade in and out of intensity midway through the bowl. But having said that, the vanilla really does blend well with the mellow taste of the Virginia and Cavendish mixture. I must say that I enjoyed this Mac Baren offering much more than I thought I would and I will definitely be buying this excellent vanilla three star offering again.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

As a connoisseur of an aromatic tobacco blend which only means I enjoy a good aromatic Tobacco.

First opening Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake it was neatly wrapped in a gold foil surrounding the pressed Virginia and Black Cavendish tobaccos.

The aroma was not an overwhelming, sickening, sweet aroma, but rather an aroma of mellow Vanilla. The flake was easily rubbed out and just as easy packing my pipe, took two matches to light my L?Anatra Freehand. The first quarter to half way down the tobacco began to present itself as a very mild but enjoyable smoke to the bottom of the bowl as the tobacco mellowed out for a relaxing smoke.

The next day I smoke the flake in a Stanwell Brandy Glass witch presented itself as the same as that the previous day. Later in the evening I packed a Wessex Brandy Glass, smoked it about a quarter of the way down and laid it to one side for a few hours for a GDT that I absolutely enjoyed as it took me hard to put the pipe down. The next morning I picked up the Wessex and re-lit what was left of the VCF and to my surprise an even more delightful smoke as it lost no aroma or taste and really I enjoyed just as much if not more of the original first bowl of Vanilla Cream Flake. I will say I thought the VCF smoked better in the smaller bowl than the larger L?Anatra.

The comparison between the Loose Cut and Flake, the Loose Cut requires no rubbing, and the tins are larger, for just a fraction of the cost less you could purchase two 50 gram Vanilla Cream Flake. I like and enjoy both the Loose Cut and the Flake and will most likely keep both on hand. There is one thing that may discourage the pipe smokers from the U.S., there is a shipping and handling cost that could range from $20.00 to $30.00 depending on who are ordering the tobacco.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm not into aromatics but I do love the Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Loose Cut. It has a great taste and odor with a real tobacco flavor without feeling like you're smoking a bowl of cake icing. Since I like the loose cut so much I decided to try the flake version.

The flake is basically vanilla Navy Flake. Similar look and feel. This is much more mildly flavored than the loose cut and it seems to have a slower-burning quality. This is a nice change of pace for anyone who enjoys Navy Flake.

I never rub out flakes. I like to cut, bend, pack and light. This tobacco responds well too this method but it does require more relights than Loose Cut.

Since this is only available in Germany (or via an international e-store) and can be a bit expensive I don't think this is worth the trouble for using as an everyday smoke. If you like Navy Flake and would like a bit of a change then this might be for you.

doc pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doc pipes (14)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am generally not an aro guy, but this blend is a favorite of mine when I want a tobacco that will smell great and not offend friends and bystanders. The vanilla is strong out of the tin, and these tightly packed and neatly cut flakes are beautiful with various browns and black. The vanilla comes through in the taste, and the underlying Virginia is clearly quality. Not the driest burn, but generally not acrid towards the bottom of the bowl as some aros can be.

Pipe Used: numerous

Purchased From: iwan ries

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading so many positive reviews I had to give VF a try. Smell from the tin was amazing, charring light amazing, as I progressed through the bowl....meh. The blend, to me, tends to get a little cigarette like I you progress through the bowl. Not terrible, but I dont think I will buy again.

Pipe Used: various

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Mild Very Strong Mild Tolerable to Strong

Ugh!! Get it away from me. Quickly.

Hot, dry, cloying and so unbearably sweet that you cannot even get a hint of tobacco. The initial plume that came out of the bowl on lighting stung my nostrils, my initial draw stung my whole palate for about 5 seconds, and the smoke was a rancid cloud of bubblegum-inspired hot mess.

Nothing redeeming about this. Halfway through the bowl I pitched the hot-mess into the ashtray, and picked up the tin and deep-sixed it into the trash.

Avoid.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (42)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is what I smoke if I know I'm going to be smoking a pipe in close quarters with my girlfriend. It has a great room aroma, but smokes like a flake. Wonderful for an evening out with the lady.

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Aromatic. A mild to medium "artificial" flavor and not vanilla. Pleasant room note. Mac Baren score /4 (Strength 2, Flavor 4, Roomnote 4)

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I have now smoked several Mac Baren offerings and will not review them any further since they are extremely not to my liking. If interested in my thoughts about their line of tobaccos then just see my review on Burley London, it pretty much sums up this vapid weed give or take a slight aromatic difference (vanilla, cherry etc...).

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (14)

I sometimes find myself at work looking forward to getting home and taking 1 1/2 flakes of this blend and packing it into my Ascorti Business pipe and relaxing after a full day of putting up with people. Mildly sweet, wonderful burn, a pleasure to the bottom of the bowl, and at the price you can get it from P&C.com, it's well worth it.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)

I like it better than VA no1., less flavoring, more natural taste.

dsltrkr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dsltrkr (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Thanks to Macbarrens excellent quality , everything else tastes terrible to me! I love this stuff , had to order more.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)

I don't like aromatics much but I like this one in a small sized meerschaum or sometimes cube cut the flakes using a scissor and add small portions to other blends to experiment.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

found this to be a good vanilla blend. The tin aroma is plesant but it loses a bit of flavor about halfway through. burns very well using the mac barren fold and roll or rubbing out all the way. Everyone enjoys the room note of this and get many complements on it. would recommend to any smoker from beginner to seasoned pro.

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Maybe its just because im a fan of vanilla or maybe its because this is a quality product but i did enjoy this product. I was very happy with the consistency of the burn. The room note is always pleasing to even to those who run away from the smoke. Mac Baren definitely hit it out of the park with this one. No bite just a nice relaxing smoke when your in the mood for an aromatic.

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A nice burning flake that has a very subtle hint of vanilla at the end. For me, a fine every day smoke. Does not seem to bite at all, unlike some of the other Mac Baren tobaccos I have tried.

staindjason Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
staindjason (4)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I was looking forward to the heavily cased vanilla flavor that everyone seems to say about this one but it wasnt there maybe i got a bad batch but inside the tin smells great and even better when lit but im just not tasting anything close to vanilla, all in all this is a great tobacco just dont expect much vanilla. I much rather smoke the loose cut than the flake

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (16)

This is the tobacco that I invariably reach for when I fancy a vanilla-flavored pipeweed. The flavour is not applied so heavy as to overpower the tobacco taste completely when smoked and the tobacco itself is of good quality.

As for the roomnote, this is what a lot of (non-pipe-smoking) people associate with a pipe! A real crowd pleaser.

Recommended if you like good-quality vanilla aromatics, otherwise steer clear.

Beautiful looking flake that becomes almost a crumble cake. I could not get this to fold for loading without breaking. No problem there, really. I just found it interesting.

Tin aroma was of a chemically-altered light vanilla rather than a natural extract. This transfered to the taste, unfortunately. I tried this in various states of moisture and in all cases I got an extremely bland mouthful of hot air with almost no flavor. The most taste was on the pipestem. Very boring smoke. The tobacco appears to be of high quality but no tobacco taste comes through. I puffed madly on one pipeful in an attempt to get ANY type of flavor to exhibit itself but it was not to be. So far, Mac Baren blends tend to follow a pattern of "all aroma, no flavor" and this one is no exception (although Burley London is a wonderful deviation, and Virginia #1 is ok at times). I've got Navy Flake and HH Matured Virginia left to try and then I'll probably say farewell to the House of Mac Baren.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

one of the best flakes in the aromatic world that i have encountered. although similar to the loose cut however there are few differences basically it burns slower (oh the intelligence!)secondly which i might be consider as a con is that the room note not always appreciated but certainly tolerable. the taste is fuller and you feel the blend hold its body perfectly with a considerable nic kick to it (as oppose to normal aromatics) the tobacco taste is more dominant than the flavoring added but you can defiantly taste the sweetness and get that creamy sensation. to me its a safe zone tobacco and i would certainly recommend it. ( i pack it through folding method however breaking the flakes down help with more even burning)

gunnn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunnn (4)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

WARNING you must LOVE vanilla in order to enjoy this. overpowering vanilla and if you arent careful a ton of tongue bite.

Graybeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Graybeard (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is another tobacco I order by the pound. Having said that, it would not be my first choice as an all day smoke. Indeed, if I smoke more than a couple of bowls of the stuff in a day, I find myself trying to put a bandage on my tongue at night. This certainly can be the infamous Mac Baren Tongue-Bite-In-A-Tin if not treated with respect. So why the recommendation? Because it's about the best at what it tries to be. A heavily cased blast of vanilla. I knew the room note was pleasant, but one day when my wife was feeling adventurous, I got her to try a churchwarden loaded with this (She is a cigarette only smoker). She hated it. But I was in heaven. The room note was flat-out amazing and I was salivating like Pavlov's dogs. No wonder she likes it when I smoke this stuff. So if you have a significant other (or you're in the market for one), give this stuff a try. 1 star for nicotine, 2 stars for taste, and 4 for room note.

geenhauer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geenhauer (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

ouch!!! this stuff BITES!! and but quick!! strong, spicy, sour, hot, biting and unklike what i have come to expect from the house of MacBaren. A disappointment all around. The vanilla is indeed there. The tin is very neat, as a consolation. It will be nice to keep after this nicotinic rat-poison is smoked or relegated to an old shoebox. Sorry to have to be so negative regarding a MacBaren offering. :\

i liked the planta danish black vanilla, for this type of thing

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I have tried a few tins of Vanilla flake, keep finding it too dry, and too mild, although the Vanilla does eventually get through, tried spicing it up with a little Woods Navy Rum (100% proof) perhaps a little too much rum, burns a lot better though, only Two stars for this at the moment, maybe I'll get the Rum / Tobacco ratio right and update this.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

A pretty good vanilla blend. I loved the way it was packaged. It was made to look like the tobacco of Kings. The taste is a little to mild for me but it is a smoke that can be for those evenings on the porch when you want to contemplate life.

It smells very good as the room note but the taste sways to more tobacco than vanilla which is fine but a little vanilla every once in a while wouldn't hurt. 3.5/4 stars

UPDATE=

4/7/2008.

I am upgrading it to 4 stars. It has gotten better over time and I am enjoying it more and more!

billbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billbo (8)

I have been looking for a good vanilla tobacco and I love flake virgina so this seemed like a good match for me . It is. I love to smoke this tobacco it gives a very nice smell to the room which helps with the wife and I do not fine the flavor too strong I smoke it in a small acorn pipe and it manitains it characters throughtout the pipe. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good flake with a nice flavor that does not over power the tobacco.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)

This time my Mac Baren flame thrower came with a vanilla kicker...pass

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Improves the vanilla no end, but kills the tobacco.

miles o'toole Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miles o'toole (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

One word: HOT. Tried this in a couple differnt pipes and it smoked hot and bit like crazy!! Maybe its me, but I have a tough time with this blend. Smells great, tobacco seems to be of high quality, but not my cup of tea. Seems to mellow a bit as the bowl burns down - aroma is very nice. Tough getting past the bite though!!

Brumm-Brumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brumm-Brumm (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this tin, last morning as I was wandring along the streets of Stockholm. I longed for a great aromatic, to beginn the day in a extraordinary fashion, so I went in the tobaccoshop of the block. But to my bare disappointment, I was neither amused nor intrieged by its rather repulsive smell. On the other hand, the taste was entirely different. Vanilla embraced my tounge by the second bowl and I feel as if I was in elysium, BUT that feeling disappered as s quick as it appered. What I'm trying to say is that, Vanilla cream can be awsume but most of the time, it's even more flat and boring than Borkum Riff (no, I think I exaggurated but you get my point).

DrewFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrewFan (1)

A good, mild smoke. Relatively inexpensive as well. I smoke it on occasion, and it hasn't disappointed me yet. Fans of Captain Black pipe tobaccos will enjoy it.

Chessnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chessnut (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I am an latakia lover, but decided to give this a try because I had heard good things about it, and wanted to try a nice mild sewwt aromatic. I was really disappointed. The tin aroma was nice but thats where it ended for me. Nothing special I feel this to be a very flat tasting smoke.