A deluxe roll cake tobacco blended from spun, ripe Virginia, Burley tobaccos and Cavendish. A unique composition. Mild to medium strength.

Notes: Introduced in 1990. Formerly called Royal Twist.

BrandMac Baren
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
CutCurly Cut

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

2.7

One of the spicier MacBaren products on the market, with a very light honey topping. The spice comes from a generous helping of black cavendish which imparts a very slight vanilla flavor, too, though it's not noticeable in every puff, and when you do taste it, it's as soft as a lover's whisper. There is a light sweetness from the gold Virginia which acts more as a base for the black cavendish to play off. The burleys are minor players here, but they add a very mild earthy flavor, and slight sweet tone. This blend has some of the creaminess noted in MacBaren's Scottish Mixture with a lot more spice, and a bit less complexity. Burns slow, but evenly, and consistently. Though I rate it as medium in strength, and light on the nicotine, I would not consider this to be an all day smoke. I consider this to be a real sipping blend due to the spice content, so puff moderately. I find it very compatible with hot tea or coffee as a drink.

Based on a one ounce sample from a friend. The discs were intact and in some bowls I loaded them as discs and in others, I rubbed them out. Didn't seem to matter. I hadn't smoked any of this since the early 1990's when I picked up a tin with the name "Royal Twist". I don't recall what my thoughts were back then, and I probably won't remember smoking this ounce 20 years from now. As with Club Blend, this mix sizzled my tongue before I even lighted it. All I had to do to get bit was to place the loaded, unlit pipe in my mouth and wait 3 seconds. Unlike with Club Blend, I decided to light the pipe and see what happened. Eventually the sizzle settled down. Some weird smoker/tobacco interface disconnect. I soldiered on.

As with a lot of Mac Baren's blends, the flavor was a mixture of dumbed down hot air and tasteless sweetness, kind of like adding sugar to water. Very bland. The pastry-sweetness of some of the Mac B blends was subdued a bit, but it was still very annoying. The sweetness was not natural tasting, as with a lemon virginia, but was "cavendish-y" for lack of a better word... very contrived instead of natural. But it was simple sugar - the sweetness had no backbone. I tried smoking this in a crispy state, as in so doing, I was able to get Stockton to an enjoyable level. Not so here. This tasted like "Scottish Mixture Light" - syrupy, and with a definite lack of true tobacco taste. If I had to choose between this and the Velvet pouch I just finished, I'd take Velvet everytime. This isn't a bad tobacco, and I can see where it would have it fans. But to me, it highlights all the things I find problematic with most Mac Baren blends. If you like the typical Danish style or Mac B's Dark Twist and Mixture, you'll probably like this one. If not, it's probably best to avoid.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This tobacco smokes hot for me no matter what I do . It has a wonderful aroma and the flavor is very nice for the first while , but I just can't enjoy it for the heat . I've given up on it for now but will return to it at a later date . Will update this if needed .

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Apparently, Roll Cake has been re-engineered to remove perique, much like Three Nuns. My tin's bottom reads "A blend of twisted Virginia, Cavendish and perique tobaccos." A pity, since they used it in a delicious proportion that didn't irritate my mouth.

I've smoked several tins of RC, unlike far too many reviewers here. This blend requires more tries than most to get the pipe and technique down. I gave up on my first tin for several years, dismissing it as a biter. Either the years mellowed it or the large Comoy I use tamed it, but I now find it to be a very rich, spicy and sweet blend when smoked slowly. Admittedly, the tins I've finished are now nine years old, but I advise those who judge (and post) after one bowl to keep trying. It ages well.

I'll try a new tin to confirm the above ingredient statement as well as my assessment of the blend presently sold.

Pipe Used: large Comoy's bent billiard

Age When Smoked: 5-9 years

Purchased From: JR Cigars

Similar Blends: Dark Twist, Club, etc. Many MacBarens overlap.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This one surprised me a little. I was expecting more strength and richness, given the tin description. I have smoked it many times, but am recently going through all of my Mac Baren blends again after having an epiphany about how to approach them. HIstorically I smoked them shortly after rubbing them out. They are very moist in the tin, and bit the hell out of me most of the time. I have now learned that if you let them dry out A LOT, you get a much improved, and less painful, smoking experience. The bowl I am presently smoking of this was rubbed out and let to sit for at least three hours. It is dry to the touch. You will be surprised how much moisture is still in the tobacco, even after that degree of drying. The result is a much cooler smoke which burns more readily, and more of the tobacco flavor with more depth. In the past I was not a big fan of these Mac Baren blends. Now I am finding a lot to enjoy about them, and look forward to working through more of them with fresh eyes, so to speak.

Now to the surprise. My tin of this says that, in addition to the virginias, cavendish, and a little burley, this has a touch of Syrian latakia. I taste none, and none is noted on the Mac Baren website. I would also point out that no perique is noted on either my tin or the website as a constituent of this blend. I detect none, it is not spicy in the least, and I believe that this is simply an error to be found on the blend description above. So the first surprise was expecting a little of that smoky latakia background, and finding none ( if I really try, I think I can detect something, but I wonder if I am just trying to convince myself). It may be that there is some small amount of latakia in the mix, but it is so lightly used as to be almost non-existent.

The second surprise was how mild this blend is in every sense, except for bite. Mac Baren describes this as medium in strength. It is not. I can find no appreciable nicotine. As discussed more herein, I am smoking a pretty good size bowl of this, and really and finding nothing in the way of strength. With respect to the flavor, it is again mild, and really just a sweet virginia type of mouthful with every puff. That is not really a bad thing, but as this is rated medium by MB, and that is was I was expecting, I was let down.

I will say that the second half of the bowl is much tastier than the first. While the overall flavor remains the same, it develops into a richer and more well rounded and fuller version of that sweet flavor, which is very enjoyable.

I find this to burn a little hotter with more bite than Club Blend, which has a similar flavor. Bite really is not a fair description. Smoking it slowly and with care, as I am, provides an experience which, while not "cool", does not bite. It is clear that if this was smoked with a higher moisture content, and with more force, it would feel like a thresher across your tongue. I am smoking it presently in a wide and deep bowled Neerup, and I think it would benefit from the more narrow tobacco chamber found in one of my Ashtons, for example. I am going to give that a try, and update with my impressions.

I was torn with respect to the star rating. If you are looking for a very tasty, albeit mild, sweet virginia smoke, than this is a solid three star blend. If you are looking for a richer, fuller smoke as MB represents it to be, than I think they missed the mark a little. I can say that I am truly enjoying this now that it has gotten going. It definitely has the MB "roll" flavor going on, which you just have to try in order to be able to relate to. The quality is very fine, and I think many suffer and do not give these blends a second look because they are both cased lightly with sugar, and very moist, which in my experience creates the tongue bite so many complain of. It is a different animal when you get rid of that moisture. So 2 stars for now, but we will see what magic one of my Ashtons can work on this slice of cake.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

All Mac Baren doubters should invest in a tin to really see how their (admittedly, not always unfounded) prejudice holds up. Of all Mac Baren's offerings I've come across, this is the one I enjoy the most.

I do detect some perique'ish components in the tin note. It is probably something in the cavendish process giving it that sweet 'n sour/spice note. There's a sweet, sugary intensity to the note and latakia is, as far as I can gather, present in the tin note, but not to any great extent.

For a Mac Baren, it is in the expensive league, but as a premium blend among others, it fares well. And worth it, I might add. In the usual Mac Baren way, the tins are filled to the rim, so you're getting your pennies worth - the moisture content, which is a bit high, has been frowned upon by my predecessors, but that is the least of my headaches. I've had Mac Baren blends hold up for years in perfect smoking condition in simple Tupperware containers. How can that be anything other than good? Perfect for those of us that simply can't stick to anything less than 20 opened tins at any given time. I do find it smokes better when aired out a little, and I'm never in such a hurry that I don't have time to let it rest in the pipe before lighting up; an hour or so is just about right for me.

Taste is predominately that of smooth and creamy burley, and the "periqueish" cavendish make its way through in the taste if sipped very gently. There is a faint note of latakia spice and smokiness melding in and out also - but hard core latakiaphiles probably do not need bother on the premise of the latakia; although there, I doubt it will be enough for those hopelessly lost latakia junkies... unless they are open minded and want a little change of pace, or perhaps find it amusing to play detective to find the latakia. Like many Mac Baren's, you're not doing yourself any favours if you smoke only a few bowls and then give up. I symphatize to some degree with the "Weak, and insipid...warm tasteless air" remarks, but my sympathy only goes as far as saying: Do it again and do it right. It takes a little getting to know and pacing is key. Although Roll Cake is very forgiving when smoked, if you're not getting any taste, you're smoking too fast. With the right tempo the flavour is very pleasant - almost like a mild and sweet va/per; and like with va/pers, the side stream is an especially pleasant aspect.

Roomnote is quite unobtrusive, and pleasant to a smoker - you'll possibly get away with it amongst non-smokers or better halves (but don't take my word for it).

In conclusion, although Roll Cake in general can be considered an absolute top quality blend, it just lacks that intensity in flavour and nicotine punch that I crave. It's typical for Mac Baren in that it's a tiny bit too cumbersome to smoke and enjoy effortlessly. Every Mac Baren that I have smoked have all been needing some degree of coaxing in order to lure out those elusive flavours that hide in there somewhere, and unfortunately Roll Cake is no exception. But even so, I can definately recomend it, because once you hit its sweet spot, you'll be glad you stuck with it.

For whatever it's worth: I smoke Roll Cake in a (to Mac Baren spun cuts) dedicated Vauen White Dot, which is filtered, but usually smoked with an adapter. The production code on the back of the tin is 08102991, which translates to october 26 2010.

My third experience of MacBaren's spun cuts, I had expected something similar to the other ones as noted in many reviews -- that was what had kept me from buying this beauty for so long, because it is a tad on the expensive side.

While the similarities to the other MB spun tobaccos are obvious at the first look, the tin aroma says "I am somewhat different" with a goodly bit more spice in it than Dark Twist or Club Blend, while at the same time being a little brighter. The tin aroma keeps the Latakia in the closet, as does the room note.

Filling and lighting is the same as for the other spun cuts: fold discs, drop in bowl, and remember to leave it some room. At the time of lighting, the magic happens: unlike the other MB spun cuts, this one starts out noticeably spicy from the beginning, with enough of the sweetness to make it highly enjoyable. The room note does not show off the Latakia, but its spice and toastiness is nicely represented in the taste -- something I consider to be a pretty good trick, considering the penetrating power of Latakia in the room notes of most blends that contain it.

Somewhat old-fashioned in its characteristic, for me, that is part of this tobacco's charm because it is not _too_ old-fashioned, as I think could be held against the Dark Twist or Plumcake by MB (though I also enjoy those). The Roll Cake offers enough of the beautiful taste of Latakia without the nasty room aroma that normally comes with it. That is what makes this blend exceptional. I have tried it in corn cobs, Falcons, Bjarnes, Stanwells, Vauens and DB pipes... makes little difference, it works for me in just about any but the smallest bowls.

For the leisurely smoker, this blend burns down nicely and evenly. Like all roll cuts it needs good maintenance, but it's certainly worth the effort for the joy it gives. Not for the beginner, certainly, but highly satisfying to this particular connoisseur (well... I'd like to think I'm one, anyway).

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

Now it's the time of Roll Cake.

I visited RC the first time its 100grms tin appeared - alongwith Dark Twist and Navy Flake - five years ago or more. I clearly remember that 1) I bought RC and DT in the sincere hope to find something similar to Escudo or Three Nuns 2) upon the opening of the tins I didn't notice any substantial difference between RC and DT and, the hell! DT wasn't Dark as the word "dark" means to me ...

Yes, in the philosophy of McB, Roll Cake (and Dark Twist) is the nearest product to the natural aroma of tobacco, indeed.

As far as I can notice, the 100grms tinned McB's have not encountered the great appreciation of the italian smokers. Maybe it's because they are quite pricey, maybe also because the overall quality (very good) is not far higher from the pouched-brother like Scottish Mixture. All the above to mean that the tin I'm reviewing might be of the same era, therefore it's well seasoned...

Upon the opening the blind aroma is mainly hay-ish of bright Virginia's, and the usual McB's honey-sh topping but in a very much light fashion. The small roundels: bright virginias with inner dark heart of non-regular shape and presence.

The Savinelli Professor (unfiltered) no. 122 pot, which I have recently used to review Orlik's Golden Slices, seems the better axe: wide bowl but not too large. The bottom roundels have been slightly rubbed, then some whole's, on top a rubbed couple. The humidity is perfect.

At the charring light the tobacco react vigorously, a couple of tamp and relights was needed.

The smoke is very intriguing of the family but a bit more complicate than the average McB's. Mild but body enough. Faintly sweet & amicably sour, it has a caramel/biscuity character which is very pleasant. The plus is due to the pinch of Syrian Latakia - declared in the notes placed in the bottom of the tin - which to me is the main difference with Dark Twist, and gives a slight citrusy/smokey flavour. Ehi, just a trace of this.

I perfectly agree with the reviewer who wrote that only the slowest draw will allow to get the best from this truly elegant blend. So, not for the beginner, and it should be considered as a contemplative smoke.

Overall a pleasant experience, it perfectly fits my needs for the hot season. Something more refined than Scottish Mixture or Navy Mixture. Recommended in the same way, not less or more.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

As typical of most Mac Baren tobaccos this one is not going to knock your socks off with flavor or strength. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but its mildness is its most discernible attribute. I would prefer a bit stronger taste and a bit more of a punch. With that being said, what taste I did enjoy was that of grassy and earthy Virginia. There was some vanilla from the Cavendish and possibly some honey or molasses as well. There was absolutely no temperature issues or gooey aromatic problems with this blend which leads me to believe what little Cavendish is in this blend must be really potent. The tobacco burns very well and I love the presentation of the roll cake. What keeps this from being in my rotation is the fact that unless it is the first pipe of the day, I would be left wanting far more that what this blend has to offer. If mild tobacco is your game, this may be all you need to try.

Like all MacBarens, this is a beautifully presented tobacco (marketed in the UK as Royal Twist). It? spun into discs, varying in colour?from golden brown to black?and also like 98% of MacBaren tobaccos, shares that same indefinable acrid-sugary-honey like under taste, that seems to make them very hot and tongue burning, especially to the unaware smoker.

However, if packed in properly (i.e., not too tight, not too lose), and smoked very slowly, it can become a very nice experience for those who enjoy Virginias, Burleys and Cavendish. This is a slow burning, medium strength concoction, designed no to impress or excite (I don?t think any MacBaren has ever been developed in that vein), but to be peacefully enjoyed in the comfort of your living room, or in a civilised teahouse. Predictable, toned down, it has all the pastry like quality of the cavendished leaf, plus certain dullness from the Burley that keeps the Virginia always in restrain.

I would place this tobacco between Peter Heinrichs' Special Curly (which in spite of the description is so mild and lacklustre that you can?t taste the périque at all), and Stokkebye?s Luxury Twist Flake. Roll Cake is not as mild and biting as Heinrichs, but it?s not as dense and rich as Stokkebye?s. If you enjoy a quality semi sweet and predictable smoke to go with your tea or a glass of Bailey?s, this can be a very good option.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Hard to say something that hasn't been said. The tobacco used in this blend is of quality and there is absolutely no tongue bite. I am a fairly fast puffer and, to my surprise, this stuff smoked very cool.

Although I would classify this blend as your typical Danish (nothing out of the usual) it is flavorful and very pleasant, the room note is nice and the nicotine content is perfect. Enough aromatic flavor for a sweet smoke but still a natural tasting blend.

If there is any latakia in this blend I can't taste it or smell it, in fact I don't really think there is any latakia here.

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (22)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

After smoking two tins of this blend I am not a fan. I have one tin that I will age a couple years and try again. As some have noted, this tobacco smokes hot. A slow smoke brings out the best of a tobacco but with this one nothing seems to matter. Nice tin, nice coins.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This is MacBaren mixture cut in a different way, it just provides a slower smoke. Boring.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Interesting looking coins, but something of a let down . Bland to the point of boredom. A better bet is escudo or Dunhill navy rolls as it is now.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (23)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Once again MB makes good on another white label tin. Roll Cake is another example of cheerful disposition meets old fashion home cooking. I found this blend smooth and full bodied with a smokier/cherry-like flavor. A nice rediscovery and well worth the price. The spice element is quite noticeable, but a slower draw on one's pipe can tame that. Letting this blend, like several MB blends, air out for a short while will give it a toastier character and a fine round finish with far less bite. This isn't one of those blends that will knock your socks off. It's meant for sipping. That in itself is refreshing. Did I mention a fine room note. You can't get enough of that old world pipe smell, which MacBaren pulls off quite well time and time again. If your new to pipe smoking this is a great start. And the whole coin thing, pretty niffty trick. Enjoy!

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Roll cake ....firstly the rolls themselves are of fine construction and a good moisture level to fill with . They are similar to the "dark twist "rolls in aroma as well . The initial light is very easy and stays lit nicely too . The smoke is of a lovely Virginia flavor and the Cavendish is easily detectable in it also . I get a little bite from it but the flavor more than compensates for that . I find it a little too full to inhale but that may just be personal preference !

Pipe Used: Falcon

Purchased From: Smoke King

USVI sailor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
USVI sailor (6)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

No matter which pipe I use, how I pack it or how slow I smoke it this tobacco ALWAYS irritates the heck out of my tongue and mouth. I mean it is like holding a blow torch up to my mouth and breathing in - can't taste anything for 2 days after smoking this stuff, have to wait until the taste budds are re-grown. In my book, it doesn't get much worse.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (28)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I was gifted a sample of this at my recent pipe club meeting. I am a fan of burley/virginia blends. This one is quite nice. Disregard other reviewers notions of perique and latakia, there is none here. Perhaps a little spicy character at the beginning. Mellows out to smooth tobacco flavor and then sweet fruitiness from middle to end. Reminiscent of Edgeworth Sliced. Only drawback was it was quite wet towards the end, and the tobacco had ample time to dry. Lots of gurgling. One of the guys in the smoke shop noted the aroma was quite smoky, similar to mesquite.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Tastes like honey, quite sweet with a little of the mac B cavendish 'spice'. You have to smoke this very slowly, too slowly for my liking to get the delicious taste from this. Low in nicotine, not enough for me. DGT's very well.

All in all a pleasant smoke, but if you are a medium paced puffer, or require a bit of nicotine, give this a miss. Definitely not for ex ciggie smokers. I won't get more.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

Delicious mild flavor with just enough nicotine for my morning puff.

BaconandTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaconandTobacco (15)

Very nice curly cut tobacco. Has a proper proportion of perique,burns well,and smokes fairly cool. The flavor is very nice but it can get a little bitey if smoked too fast.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Doesn't bite as bad as Plum Cake, but still shows it's teeth.

This is a fun tobacco to experiment with, as far as the coins are concerned. But other than that, no excitement here. As one reviewer stated, it does smoke like hot air.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

not a bad smoke just one that doesnt have much to offer. i would describe this as a netural blend nothing turned me away from it but nothing really stood out and grabbed my attention either. just ho hum

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not your typical VaPer due to the profuse addition of Cavendish. In fact, Roll Cake is similar to Club Blend, only a tad less sweet. The little coins are easily smoked, with no tongue bite (for a Mac Baren) and almost no added flavoring (again, for a Mac Baren).

It's worth a try, but don't expect something spectacular.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

At Mac Baren they proudly describe RC such a “deluxe blend” and yes, it is! Opening the tin the unlit tobacco looks (s)well and smells the same, once lit RC confirms its noble lineage welcoming you with class tobacco flavours, the interaction between Cavendish and Syrian creates an intriguing empyreumatic note: a refined smoky-earthiness that emerges through hints of ripe and mellow Virginias, while a prime Burley rounds the edges taming the tanginess and managing the sweetness. Harshness, tongue biting, bitterness, bad aftertaste … forget all these bad things, anything gross or vulgar here, RC is really a workmanlike job. A top notch tobacco worth a top notch spirit as companion, try it with a small glass of aged Grappa such as “Magia” or “Bric del Gajan” from the stately Berta's collection.

I smoked this on and off in the past and haven't smoked it for well over 15 years. That was the time it was distributed as Royal Twist. It didn't do anything for me in the flavor department. I would describe it at best as smoking hot air. I do enjoy - and have since my early piping days - many of Mac Baren's offerings, but would have to try this tobacco once again to see if my opinion has changed any.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

100gm tin I purchased some 3 months ago.

Weak, and insipid. Like smoking warm tasteless air to be honest. Reminded me of a watered down version of MB Scottish Mixture (and that is weak in itself)

I certainly won't waste my time with this again. MB's biscuit'y taste that seems to exist in most of it's blends is really starting to turn me off..

BigFrank Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigFrank (4)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

VA's right up front when you smoke this. There is a little burley in the blend, but it doesn't come through much. The tin says this blend contains latakia, I can taste nor detect any in the blend. There is some cavendish in this blend, but it only jumps into the smoke every so often, then disappears as quickly as it arrived. Just enough cavendish to let you know it is in the blend, but not enough to enjoy...Overall I would say it's a light VA blend. Giving this blend 2 stars. Smokes way too hot and really doesn't do much in the flavor department. Maybe good for a new smoker, but the price tag and amount may intimidate new smokers. I'll be sticking with Dark Twist.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Most Macbaren tobaccos display exceptional quality of leaf and craftsmanship.

The beauty of their rollcakes would make a monster cry,touched by sensitivity.

problem is, they lack a decent level of nicotine...

dogwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogwood (17)

this is a superb virginia/burley blend. it comes in disc flakes about the diameter of a nickel. when you rub it out you get wonderful long thin ribbons. the flavor is rich, smooth and complex. there is a great depth of flavor.

i can't taste the perique at all in this blend. if you like perique go with Old Gowrie or Bayou Morning Flake instead.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

YES! I truly enjoy this blend, it has a rich, earthy, tangy (almost lemon like), flavor to it with an ocasional hint of sweetness.

Rub it out completly and pack medium firm, and it really brings out all this blend has to offer. This is one blend that I will continue to smoke and enjoy.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)

I'm not good at relaying the flavors of a tobacco to others, other then saying "it's good/ it's not good IMO". Roll Cake is good IMO. A nice honey smell out of the tin. A nice sweet natural flavor. As far as RC goes, I don't think you would go wrong picking up some of this if you like your natural tobaccos.

I've found that it is very important to fold and stuff this spun cake, not tear it to shreds. I fold about 4 or 5 coins stacked together and place the "end" (where the fold meets) in line of the draft hole so as not to clog up the pipe. Then I lightly rub 1 or 2 coins out to fill out the bowl, lighting with ease. Burns much cooler and much tastier. This really is a solid "natural" flavored tobacco.

Also, I love what this blend becomes when a bit of Latakia is added. A simple and rewarding hybrid to try out if you are into experimenting.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I would recommend this blend for those who prefer natural sweet Virginia/Cavendish in roll cake, the tobacco disks are so skillfully crafted with an amazing finishing, there is some plain sugar added to the tobacco to enhanced the flavor, the smoke is cool, semi sweet and earthy, there no Latakia in the flavor.

Also I would recommend to completely rubbing out the tobacco disks in order to get a consistent smoke, and finally, an extremely loose packing and slow puffing is the only way to avoid tongue bite and to enjoy this beautiful tobacco.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I wavered between giving this blend two or three stars, but since it's all a matter of opinion anyway and almost all of the tobaccos I try are quality tobaccos whether I like them or not, went with two stars due to my sensitivity to tongue-bite with MacBaren tobaccos, and I don't seem to be alone in this. I liked that touch of honey they use for sweetener (could this be the culprit?) and the overall taste as well, but could not smoke an entire bowl straight. It did not bite me as hard as Symphony. I did have some success when I blended it with an equal part of Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and added a touch of blending Perique. This seems to calm a bit o' th' bite! I have stuck the remaining half of my tin away to age and will try to smoke some again in another few months to see what this does for it. I have a feeling it's a three star if I can find a way to control that bite! Love the cute little coins.

After a year, and drying overnight, not so bad. Very mild in flavor, yet pleasant, but with the aging I am able to puff it a little harder and not regret it. I'm going back out to have another bowl in a small pipe to see how that does me. Adding a star-as a reward for aging well after opening and being kinder to my mouth. I am coming to terms with the MacBaren bite question. I don't agree with those who say the problem with these tobaccos is only with the smoker, but also disagree that MacBarens have a bite "problem." There is something with the curing that definitely makes them sipping tobaccos. There are some Virginias which can be puffed a little harder, but this is not one of them. Question is, do I dare to give Symphony another chance? I still have flashbacks of the pain it caused me when I look at the tin.

11-17-12 I have had a chance to try some of this that may be as much as 30 years old recently, and Mac Baren ages better than its reputation suggests...

It used to be called Royal Twist...

Much better name back then, and though I wasn't smoking it "back then," I like the stuff from "back then" a whole lot more. These roll cakes develop such a nice, mild sweetness after 20-30 years!

solobaricsrock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
solobaricsrock (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Whats new with this one? I bought about 1.5 oz in bulk and stored in a McClelland Blackwoods Flake can I finished a week earlier. I allowed it to sit for a couple of weeks there in the closed tin as I worked down another selection. Now, I am used to full Virginia and Va/Per mixes so this was experimental on my part. The coins worked nicely in my cob pipe. No drying really needed, so I was able to fill and light in quick succession. The flavors imparted just by drawing air through the unlit but filled pipe was deep and rich. Almost smokey in character.

Upon the initial charring light I tasted a very deep burley/cavendish flavor. This played on the pallet nicely through the final light. As the pipe was smoked down to the half way I experienced very deep earthy flavors that were a good departure from the norm for me. I did however find myself discarding a fair portion of the dottle as it became too rich at the end of the bowl.

I also found I had to set the pipe aside for a bit as the bowl warmed quickly, and this was probably due to my inexperience with this blend. Overall I find this is a pleasurable smoke, and I think if I buy it again, I will try in a smaller bowl at a lower temp (IE smoke it slower) to see what it has to offer. I think there are a lot of nuances of flavor I missed due to my rushing the smoke.

I believe I will try this blend again, but I need to develop my tastes a bit more for it to be fully enjoyed. If you like deep earthy flavors, then this is well worth the money. I will say it didn't totally suit me as I am used to Virginia blends and their inherently sweeter flavor. Please don't allow this to sway you from trying this blend as it good, just not to my tastes at the moment. I say 2.5-3 out of 4 would be fair. Also if you have any tips on this blend, please feel free to drop me a line or comment, as I'm always open to trying something new to enhance the experience.

Well happy smoking to all, and support your local tobacco sellers!

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Let's get something straight first, this tobacco needs to be smoke slow really slow because one it will fry your tongue and second it's the only way to get all the flavors out of this mix, at first light i usually get thecitrusy taste of the virginias with the cavendish in the second part of the bowl the burley weaves in and out, with latakia way on the back almost unnoticeable,this is not tobacco for a beginner since it requires constant attention and very light puffing, if you are a nicotine fiend this will disappoint you. I'm only giving this tobacco 2 stars for the following reasons: 1.It's too pricey for what it is 2.It requires constant attention. 3. i doubt any aging will improve it.

Erik327 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erik327 (1)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Unique. Medium bodied, earthy flavor. Rich notes, with a mild natural, non-cloying sweetness. Hints of raw sugar, a touch of fruit, and a touch of smoked wood. Very nice, year round. Worth trying.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (75)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

With the demise long ago of the previous perique version, I sort of not sure what the point in this blend is other than to maintain a product portfolio despite the general flavor profile that is largely represented in other similiar blends Mac Baren offers. It's good and if you fancy Mac Baren virginia blends and twists in paticular it's probably a winner for you but it's hardly different from what you will find in in Dark Twist or Club Blend; Not much difference between those two either. The characteristic sweetish cased virginia with that wonderful dark fired cavendish dominate. I could not detect the touch of burley as a stated ingredient but I did notice it was a tad cooler than their usual virgina based blends. So far after about 4 pipe bowls I could only detet once the faintest notice of it's trace latakia. Mac Baren should reformulate this for something distinguishable. Perhaps a small dose of another specially spiced cavendish or light casing that is reminiscnet to the fruity character of perique. Also, I can imagine that a faint background of something like raspberries and perhaps cinnamon would work in conjunction to the sweet smoky character of that dark fired cavendish for a "Royal" aromatic. Anyways, it's good on it's own but I see no reason to buy this over the previously mentioned Dark Twit or Club Blend unless those guys are out of stock.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

While Mac Baren blends like Roll Cake are a step up from drugstore blends, the only thing really "serious" about them is the price. For a novice who is going to burn his tongue no matter what he smokes, Roll Cake's topped cavendish and perique will provide an interesting spicy citrus flavour, and the spun-cut "coins" look pretty cool, but there's too much sprayed-on sweetener and cavendish for me. I don't have much use for tutti frutti Danish candyweed in general, although I like a nice Danish freehand pipe provided it's sized for a man and not a rock troll.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought this tin almost one year ago and have been smoking an occasional bowl every so often. I was not too impressed. It smoked way too hot and I really didn't get a whole lot of flavor. I almost gave up on this blend.

But I read a review of another MacBaren tobacco which followed a negative review that I earlier gave Mac's Club Blend. In that following review, someone wrote that MacBarens tend to do better when you dry it for a while ("Dry it and try it"). And smoking slowly/not puffing too hard was reiterated as key in getting the true taste from several MacBaren blends.

After nearly a year, my tin of Roll Cake didn't need more than a couple minutes of sitting out to dry out enough. I smoked a number of bowls this month in a number of different sized pipes and each time I took my time and deliberately smoked slowly and tried to savor the experience. I was rewarded with a great smoke each time.

I discovered that this tobak is simply wonderful. I tasted and smelled many different natural flavors & aromas; grassy, a little sweet, a bit smoky, a touch of a nutty flavor. It also at times reminded me of warm oatmeal. What a smorgasbord!

The small amount of Syrian latakia makes the smoke more full and satisfying. This blend had some body and some character; it was both plain fun and relaxing to smoke.

Not an aromatic, this blend still had natural sweetness from the tobacco itself and from a lightly applied topping that did not mask the tobacco at all. The mix of predominantly Virginia, with small amounts of cavendish, burley, and Syrian latakia afforded some complexity as well.

I recommend Roll Cake, and due to other reviewers, I think I will try Club Blend again, but this time I will give it the same treatment and patience that I did with Roll Cake.

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

SmokeKing David

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

"Whole Virginia leaves that are specially selected are used as wrapper for all our spun tobaccos. The main tobaccos in Roll Cake is Virginia and the original MacBaren Cavendish. Just a touch of Burley and Syrian Latakia make the Roll Cake a unique smoking pleasure. Like all our spun tobaccos only a little top flavour has been added. These tobaccos are the closest you get to the natural tobacco taste." -Roll Cake tin description.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with the now familiar, somewhat comforting aroma of slightly fermented fruit. The 3/4 inch, out of round discs are a two toned melange of caramel and brown. It just looks right; it smells right; and the tobacco 'feels' right. The moisture content was perfect; just slightly on the dry side of what I would call 'tacky'. This reminded me of Stockton, but with a deeper color to the spun tobacco, and a richer aroma.

Loading my pipe was simply a matter of scooping out some of the little discs, rubbing them out a little, and stuffing them into my pipe. I follow a rule that, it seems, someone on this site once laid out; MacBaren-pack carelessly, smoke carefully. First light was accomplished instantly, and the char began quick enough that I probably could have used a single match, had I not been using the butane. A gentle tamp, a quick relight, and I was on my way.

My first impression of this tobacco was that it was remarkably similar to Sail Natural (or perhaps vice-versa?) in its spiciness and fullness of flavor. It didn't have quite the dark notes of Sail, but it bore such a striking resemblence. However, where Sail is dark and brooding in character, Roll Cake is sweeter in disposition. The spiciness is just enough to be interesting, not fiery in the least. Puffy too agressively did bring the heat of the pipe up a bit, but still did not produce the much heralded MacBaren burn. This really does smoke remarkably pleasant. Half way through a large Oom Paul, I did notice a case of dry mouth developing, but nothing I couldn't handle.

The flavors I picked up were more of a natural va. and, of course, the cavendish. Lurking in the background of this tobacco is the same aromatic charactaristic found in Navy Flake. The room note is not at all oppressive, very wife friendly. The va. isn't quite grassy, nor is it oatey or malty. It is a simple va. component that makes up this twist, and it really just doesn't delve too much into the complex higher notes that Orlik Golden Slices does. As for the Syrian Latakia, I could not once detect it. However, there was a linger note of the exotic throughout, and the dry mouth; so I suspect that it really is in there, though only in enough quantity to add depth to the flavors.

This tobacco finished all the way down to the bottom of a large Oom Paul with only a couple relights toward the bottom, mainly due to my inattentiveness. All that was left when I was done were a few blackened chars of tobacco, and fluffy gray ash. And it finished up nice and dry. I have to say, if this is what MacBaren is capable of, I do not know why more people don't jump on their bandwagon.

I have learned that there is a technique to enjoying any MacBaren tobaccos. They need to be regarded as one would regard a wily animal; with the understanding that you need to always mainain control. Roll Cake is a little different in character than most of the MacBarens; it is a little more forgiving than Stockton and Navy Flake. Odd, too, that; since it is likely a blend of the two. If Stockton is too plain, and Navy Flake is too aromatic for you, then try Roll Cake.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

I purchased a tin of Roll Cake based on its description and a recent article carried in Pipes & Tobacco about MacBaren's unique ability to create spun cut tobacco.

It is a beautiful presentation of golden (Virginia leaf) rolls with centers of black tobacco or Syrian Latakia MacBaren's claims is in the blend. I believe there is also Perique. Finally there are lighter brown tobaccos worked into the sliced rolls that are Cavendish and Burley tobaccos. This blend has the familiar MacBaren top note that to my nose is very plummy.

I did not find this tobacco too wet. Rubbed out and smoked in a Barling sandblast billard I've smoked for 30 years it lighted easily without bite and was balanced throughout the smoke. There is a hint of Latakia and to my taste Perique, with the sweetness of the Virginia and nutty flavors from Burley. This blend did not abuse my mouth.

Needless to say, I like this blend. It is a nice change from the heavier English blends on one hand and pressed flakes on the other. This is a unique and outstanding blend.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I don't know when Mac Baren changed this blend to the description above, but my tin and the ingredients listed on the tin are different. Apparently, the Perique is no more.

Nice coins, decent amount of perique, easy burning and lighting. The way it's described now, I doubt I'd buy it. Seems to get better with age and doesn't dry out much. Guess I better enjoy this tin while it lasts...

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Variation on the Club Blend, Symphony and Dark Twist.

Beautiful roll cakes, with shades of gold, brown and black, but too mild and with the taste fainting within a week, becoming a - alas! very flat blend.

Perfect for the beginner who wants high quality bakkie, but tolerable in strength.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Mmm, a warm syrupy Virginian that never fails to perk me up.

This is a mild blend but one that is full to the brim with flavour.

Just don't smoke it in a full bent, as it will become bland and peppery and do not smoke it green. When it's three months old and loaded into a quarter bent ?or a billiard? well, it becomes a syrupy bliss. Buttery, honeyed, with a spicy back.

Something to be enjoyed slowly and with relish, preferably with an espresso.

This review is based on bulk Roll Cake.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Happy 4th of July to my fellow American pipe brothers!

I received a tin of this, minus one bowl, from a novice smoker who bought it because he liked the name.

He wasn't doing me any favors.

I found Roll Cake to be an unremarkable blend with a slight peppery taste. Not horrible but nothing to write home about either. This one also tends to burn hot but not as bad as the typical Mac Biten(sic) flamethrower.

The coins were fun to play with....too bad one can't spend them on a better blend.

CheckeredFlight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CheckeredFlight (8)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is one of the blends with which I have some history. Rating this on the conservative side of mild along with: "very pleasant room note", I recommend this tabacco in particular to be smoked in a large bowl with the air gap fill method.

Most recently I opened a 3 month old jarred stash of Roll Cake, and smoked it in a brand new Ardor Sherlock Holmes VIII. Knowing this tabacco is mild; that Mac-Baren tends to not over-case a tabacco blend, I felt it to be a good choice for breaking in the new pipe. Prior to this I had used much smaller standard pipes, typically a LaRocca Dublin, finding not only 'RollCake', but also its close relative 'ClubBlend' to smoke wet with excessive tongue bite.

Using the Sherlock, the smoke was quite nice, toasty flavor, no tongue bite, and the room note was similar to a cherry or berry pie baking in an oven, with a tiny glint of toated marshmellow (probably the sugars peekng through). Goodly rubbed, rolled into a tight ball slightly larger than the pipes chamber and stuffed into the pipe allowing a 3/8 inch clearance to the top of the bowl, I found this to be a very agreeable smoke, no surprises, no dissappointments. Exactly what I was looking for on this particular evening.

In addition and aside from this recent experience, a few months ago, I re-opened a 2 year old tin of 'RollCake'. Smoking the Dublin at that time, I can testify that this tabacco ages very well. The flavors marry with amplification of fruity-ness on the palate. Very very nice.

Nicotine is very mild, taste meets expectation for the tabacco's used, and is a very well balanced blend. I recommend this blend, when one is looking for a mild smoke.

Smoke it with a leisurely pace and it will be both reliable & mild.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I did not enjoy this RCake at first opening, but let it dry a couple of months in its unsealed can. Roll Cake does not have a dramtic Virginia flavour that Marlin Flake provides, and for the life of me I can't find any of the Syrian Latakia listed on the tin. There is a peppery scent/taste like the tang you smell around planed cedar. The best part for me is the fresh and fermented aftertaste that feels like you've had a mild shot of slivovitz, or some other spirit on your tongue. I'm not a grand champion of the Macbaren line, believe me. I'd take Sail as my all-day-smoke over this. But RC is satisfying as an after dinner relaxer.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)

This is very similar to Mac Baren Club Blend, in that it is a sliced roll cake with a center of black cavendish. The Roll Cake uses a darker brown Virginia. I believe there is a touch of Perique. For this type of blend, I much prefer their Dark Twist, which has an even darker brown Virginia. But this is a good tobacco, just depends how you like your Virginias.

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I do not object to Cavendish and so enjoy Roll Cake but for me the whole MacBaren family smokes hot. Not to say that I don?t enjoy the flavors of this blend. The tin note is fruity; I detect fig, raisin, and perhaps even a touch of date. The rolls are easily stacked for smoking in this manner but require a bit of maintenance, not at all disappointing though. Rubbed out is the way I go with this blend more often than not. I enjoy this blend most often in a meerschaum as they tend to smoke cooler for me, the natural pores cool off and absorb more of the moisture caused by combustion. Of many of the blends that I smoke this is one of the blends that my girlfriend finds the room note to be the most tolerable, as she doesn?t share my enthusiasm for this gentle art. Drafted slowly this blend will provide quite a pleasant smoking experience, and I recommend this blend and smoke it once or twice a week. Warm regards, iannweeks@msn.com Update of this blend: I have not purchased another tin of Rollcake simply because there are so many blends out there that do not burn as wet. MacBaren blends just smoke far too hot for my tastes, perhaps it is their choice of case or topping. I would smoke it if offered (very slowly), but will not purchase another tin unless it is aged for a great time. Which is too bad because this is a deliciously spun blend.

Update Wednesday March 1, 2006 I am smoking the 20 to 30 year old version of this blend- Royal Twist- that was a gift from a very nice gentleman.

It is absolutly superb. I cannot recall ever being so in love with a bowl of tobacco. Age has mellowed and subdued the fiery beast that I remember, appearance wise it just plain looks old, very dark and leathery in the tin with an amazingly light spicy aroma, the tobacco was practically dark brown and black.

Taste is sweet and light, and the body is dark and rich- but very very mellow. This is truly a fantastic experience.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

This could be an all day smoke but I doubt it could hold my interest for that long. This complex blend has the potential for some really stellar results but falls short, due in part to the liberal use of Cavendish and a middle grade Virginia. It is the Burley's job to raise the flavor bar of this composition but I feel this is too much ambition for so little quality of character. It's not a bad blend but better choice of leaf would certainly improve the result. I smoked it slowly in the spun roll much as I smoke flakes in the slice.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a signed Ural

JoeBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeBriar (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Tasty, savoury, woodsy (mahogony), peppery. All these describe this blend. An all day smoke which is an honest down to earth tobacco, with an exotic edge. This baccy can lack some deep base so I like to mix it with Full Virgina Flake. Can be a bit difficult to keep alight if left in disc form, but rub out to suit. Well worth trying IMHO.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Ahh...I love to start the day off with fresh coffee and rollcake! When stacking the discs the flavor and burn seem better and cooler. When rubbed out it can be a rather hot smoke (but then again, this IS Mac Baren)

For me, smoking this with some fresh ground hazelnut coffee is like smoking a stack of sweet rolls for breakfast!

Rollcake makes a great blending tobacco as well as straight. Try my recipe for "Iron Pipe" (named after the TV show "Iron Chef") which is three rollcake discs (rubbed), a pinch of McClelland's Oriental blending tobacco, 3 to 5 leaves of Latakia and one disc's worth of McClelland's VA#22.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

As a former cigarette and roll-your-own smoker this tastes like virginia cigarette tobacco with the burning paper flavor included. It is a handsome tobacco and I hope will improve with age. If it does get better as time goes by I will update my review. As it stands now I just don't like it much. Club Blend and Dark Twist are much better. It will also roast your tongue if not cautious.

Typically Danish and bland: a rather mild coin cut tobacco, with the usual honeyish tin aroma of Navy Flake and the stuff. Probably due to a combination of burley, honey and molasses in the recipe... The taste of this tobacco is quite bland: not heavy or bitey, or as "tiresome" as Navy Flake can be at times... but neither exciting or very tasty. The Perique is also very sparingly applied, so don't worry as you probably won't even notice it.

2009 UPDATE: I don't know what has changed compared to five years ago, but I am enjoying a 100g tin immensely. Either my taste has changed, or that 50g tin was particularly flat, because the one I am smoking now has all the good characteristics of the other MacBaren spun cut blends (slow burn, cool smoke, a fragrant and natural taste) but is probably even better than most of them! The Virginia provides good biscuity sweetness, the Burley adds a pleasant nuttiness, the now legendary Mac Baren Black Cavendish is not goopy or over-flavored but does a good trick of emulating the Perique spiciness (there is NO Perique in here: it was only present in the old Royal Twist), and the Latakia is sparingly applied but with a good enhancing effect. I would even be tempted to say that the smokiness is slightly more pronounced than in the (anyway similar) Latakia Blend. This is a very rounded and balanced tobacco, with lots of complexity, good body and a nice rich taste. Nothing stands out, it's the interplay that makes it so rewarding if smoked patiently in a largish bowl. Rating upgraded accordingly, and in my top three Mac Baren coin cut list, together with Dark Twist and Stockton.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I do not have the time to describe the attributes of this tobacco in detail as others do. However, as I do wish to contribute some feedback, I will simply rate this tobacco on a scale of 1 ?10, including tenths.

I rate this tobacco 6.5 out of 10.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have found over the years a fondness for the MacBaren tobaccos. I love the way they marry the flavours of both straight tobacco and "casings" or "toppings". Roll Cake was for me a delight to smoke. I ran cool the whole time in my Bjarne freehand. The disks held the correct moisture nicely even after the tin was opened for some time. The subtle flavors held most all the way through the bowl. I did not find the flavor as pronounced or tasty as Dark Twist. Nevertheless it is a fine smoke for taking your time by the fire.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)

Most tobaccos I've smoked tend to lose their sweetness as the bowl progresses, Roll Cake is the opposite. At first the Burley was the main flavour I noticed then from about 1 third of the way through the The Virginias tend to make their presence known. This tobacco starts as a pretty unremarkable blend then spools up into a very tasty and satisfying tobacco. It's in the same "coin" shape a Dark Twist and the topping seems pretty similar as well. The burley in the blend takes the Virginia sweetness found in Dark Twist down a notch though. The tobacco burns well, if only a tough on the hot side. This is one of my regulars that I smoke perhaps 3 or 4 times a week. Well reccomended.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I may stand alone on this, but to me Roll Cake reminds me of a "tamed down version" of MacBaren's Dark Twist.

The perique in Roll Cake is lightly consistant throughout the entire smoke. However, the perique can not match Dark Twist's peppery spice in strength. DT's spice is more intense than RC's perique. Dark Twist seems to offer a little more in depth.

Other then the above, the blends are close in perfomance. If one thinks Dark Twist is a touch too strong then try Roll Cake. ...If one wants more "kick" out of Roll Cake, then try Dark Twist.

I smoke Dark Twist regularly. With Roll Cake around; this gives me a good alternate.

Henry B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry B (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Mac Baren is doing a good job here compromising between heavier English and lighter Danish blends. All of the roll cake tobaccos of Mac Baren are nice, and "Roll Cake" certainly is no exception. Like Stockton, Club Blend, Latakia Blend and Dark Twist it has a certain special aroma to it, which reminds me of leather and wood and which is carried by tasty sweet Virginias. There is a certain elegance in the taste, which I seem to prefer in the hot summer months. Given the fact, that Mac Baren's product range is among the widest of all tobacco manufacturers, I can only tip my hat to the consistency they offer with these fine spun-cut blends. There is nothing drug-store like about them, rather they consist of high-quality leaf with a descrete topping, which make me want to smoke them more and more. I would like to add, that the room note of "Roll Cake" is a real crowd pleaser.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I generally just pack the nicely prepared discs into the bowl but you may choose to rub out some to aid in the first light and reduce the # of relights. I prefer to avoid a hot smoke even if I smoke aggressively and therefore use this technique with most of my VA flakes. This tin aroma is just of quality tobaccos. During smoking, there is an excellent balance between the tobacco types with just the right hint of the perique for me. I didn't sense any great increase in the strength of the perique towards the end of the bowls and little variation in overall taste thru the smoke. Some may consider this boredom, but to me this is a great, tasty, cool smoke. Another winner from the world of MacBaren

I have just finished smoking nearly half a tin of this tobacco (6/22/02), not all in one day of course, but it was tasty enough to deserve a half dozen or so bowlfuls. I do not normally accept perique blends of any measure, but on occasion will toy with the milder doses. This MacBaren's blend was indeed soft on the perique - and everything else for that matter.

The Virginia and cavendish tobaccos make their subtle presence known throughout each bowl in gentle measures. Typical of MacBaren's discs, the tobacco was easily rubbed out. Also typical of MacBaren's tobaccos, a gentle puffing rythem is necessary to prevent heat blisters on the tongue.

If you are a perique fancier, but prefer just a hint of that Louisiana product, then here you go. If, on the other hand, you like your perique to announce itself with a hard slap to the face, you may want to find something with more muscle.

Blake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blake (6)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Roll Cake quickly became one of my favorite tobaccos. Upon opening the tin I was taken by the beauty of the disks. It contains a very even mixture of Red Virginia and Cavendish and has a very consistent reddish brown color. The tin aroma is very like many Virginias. There is the very strong odor of pure, sweet Virginia with a top note of molasses. I pack the pipe by stacking several disks in the bowl and tamping. I then finish by placing one rubbed out disk on top to aid lighting. This tobacco, as with all Virginias, aids from a bit of aging, both in the tin and out of the tin to allow it to dry a bit. If dry, it lights and burns beautifully. It bites very little, and when it does it is because I am over-anxious. It is a very mellow, sweet, aromatic smoke which becomes progressively more sweet and less mellow as you approach the bottom half of the bowl. At that point the touch of Perique begins to come out with a very nice spiciness giving the blend a wonderful three dimensional appeal. This blend also takes very well to the delayed gratification technique. I left half a bowl, lightly smoked, overnight and smoked it the next noon. It was a wonderful experience. The tobacco had dried and mellowed a bit, but also seemed to strengthen the Perique at the end of the smoke. All in all this is a fabulous Virginia that has taken me away from Latakia, at least temporarily. 5 out of 5 pipes.