A distinctive combination of zesty lemon Virginia, Burley, and Perique. All whole leaf is layered together then pressed in cakes until the blend of whole leaf are perfectly matured. Cut and spun to ribbon form, the ribbon is then pressed into cakes for a second time (Double Cut). Then we cut the cake into flake form and packaged in 2 oz tins achieving an even more exquisite finish as time passes. A light, sweet, mellow smoke, subtle and complex, with a flavor curve ranging from lightly zesty through richly satisfying.

Notes: Blended by J.F. Germain in UK

Packaging2 oz Tin
Strength
Taste

2.9

Let me say that I can understand some of the negative reviews of this blend. I had purchased a tin of this in 2009 but before I opened it, I had a chance to try some from a friend. It was wet, the sliced krumble kake fell apart and there was too much burley forward for my personal taste. Not to mention, that if over-dried, it turned to dust. As a result, I never purchased anymore (stupid me), and never opened my tin. Now in 2014, while looking for something new to smoke out of my cellar, I popped my now five year old tin. The aroma was fantastic. The oils, or whatever causes the tobacco to seep through the paper, had occurred and I was left with a wonderfully sweet VaPerBur with the Burley moved well back. It is still a bit of a pain in the bum to work with and one still has to be careful not to allow it to turn to dust, but the flavor, from top to bottom of the bowl was outstanding! The Virginia’s are wonderfully sweet, the Perique is just right and the burley makes itself known toward the end of the bowl, but never becomes bitter. I cannot say for sure if there isn't some manually added sweetness, but my guess is no. I have experienced changes from age before, but this one is toward the dramatic end of the spectrum. Kingfisher has a fair amount of Lady N, and if smoked in a deep bowl, it could become strong for some pipe smokers. I was tempted to only offer up three stars because of the challenges associated with Kingfisher, but I just can’t, it’s just too good.

Pipe Used: several, mainly group 2

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin description of this blend says it better than I ever could. It says "Subtle but Complex". That sums it up right there.

Kingfisher is a really nice krumble kake. The tin art is really nice and classy and the blend is a true winner.

This blend is pretty dark in the tin, and can appear to be a little moist, but in my experience it performs flawlessly without any drying time. This is a vaper I think...er maybe not...a burley?..er.. Well whatever it is it is really nice. I cant really pick up the perique, and the Virginias are not a high note sweet type, more like a earthy dark Virginia, like Wessex campaign flake.

The flavors here are really comforting. Nothing really sticks out but this is a nice warm feeling blend. It has a wonderful genuine tobacco flavor, and I for one think as subtle as this blend is it is really quite complex. This blend also pairs amazingly well with single malt scotch, especially the islay's, laphroig to be particular.

This blend seems to be getting hard to find. If you can get your hands on some snap it up.

Recommended

bobcat13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobcat13 (8)
Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

This is a mottled flake, mostly dark brown, with maybe 25% black tobaccos and 10% lighter brown. The pouch aroma is musty with more than a little hint of vinegar (maybe a good bit of Perique?). To be quite honest, it’s a little off-putting. The cut turned out to be “krumble kake”, as it disintegrated into small chunks at the barest touch.

My first impression after lighting remained with me throughout the entire smoke -- it’s bland. There’s a goodly amount of strength here (almost too much for a nicotine wimp like me), but not a lot of flavor. There’s also a lot of Burley, and it gets cigary and rather ashy by the midway point. The aftertaste is reminiscent of cigars, but a little more acrid. It does burn quite well, however, and there wasn’t even a hint of bite. The room aroma is fairly strong and would not likely win you new friends if you smoked this in a crowd of nonsmokers.

I tried this first in a briar, followed a few days later by a meerschaum and a corn cob, but neither did much to alleviate the Burley curse.

I would recommend this to fans of Burley, but I don't think there's enough subtlety here to attract VA flake smokers.

atomzero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomzero (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco has a very mild flavor, but at times I notice a slight citrus note, and for whatever reason, it leaves my mouth enjoying the taste of delicious seafood.

When I smoke this blend, my cares seem to disappear into the air along with the smoke. It is a very relaxing experience that I only wish I had more time in the day to enjoy. I am not very sensitive to nicotine, but I'll count the feeling I get here as a respectable buzz.

I do not have a very sensitive or experienced palate either, and my opinion of this tobacco may increase as I try more. I agree with the reviewers that suggest drying time in advance. This stuff is pretty moist, and I have yet to smoke it as far down as I'd like to, though I admit I am still a novice pipe smoker.

Give it a try, it'll make your day better.

This is a wonderful VA/Burley crumble cake with a perique zing. Needs a little drying time, but packs just like Penzance and smoke very well. Good volume of smoke. The aroma is heady and the taste approaches stout. Have not been able to get my hands on some for quite some time. Not sure if it still comes in the neat little rectangular tin or not...a good solid smoke.

sallow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sallow (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Around a year has passed since I was able to find this tobacco, and my last tin has been gone about as long. I have missed it ever since.

What did I like so much about this blend?

The crumble cake - it wasn't a flake, but it came in the shape of one. The tobacco disintegrated into the bowl. It was a soft cake not unlike penzance.

The note in the tin was like none other. To me it smelled like red wine, but it wasn't flavored, just earthy tobacco. It had a tartness to it that I can't describe or find in another tobacco.

The smoke varied for me between cedar-like burley notes a la MacBaren London Blend and a spicy perique-ness. The tin note also translated nicely to the side stream.

The nicotine hit was sufficient. It was one of the most unique tobaccos around, and I will remember it fondly.

I know I sound like a wing nut but this was good s**t.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)

Objective: Nice tin for storing the tobacco. A little bit pricey at my local B&M, $13.00. Flake form which crumbles easily. Packed well, lit well, moderate volume of smoke.

Subjective: I like this blend. The perique is not that prominent, more of a burley blend with the virginia supporting it nicely. A good smoke and a nice change from the heavier Englishes I usually smoke.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

As I sit here smoking Kingfisher from my clay pipe, I reflect on how this blend changes nuances in taste and aroma from pipe to pipe. For example, in this clay pipe the perique becomes more dominate. Other pipes the burley comes through more. Smoking Kingfisher in my jack of all trades Savinelli, (that I smoke both Virginia blends as well as Latakia), took on a completely different, yet pleasant, flavor. Kingfisher is a great blend suitable for any time of day. I will be keeping a tin of this on hand, whenever I can find it.

Soli Deo gloria.

brando71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brando71 (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I quote Sound7: "Originally blended by J.F. Germain in UK, then by McClelland in US, then now by Peter Stokkebye in Denmark. I dont know where the person that added this description gets his information but Butera as of 02/27/2011 is still being blended as it always has been in the UK by J.F. Germain. My brand new tins that came from a couple different etailers say made in Jersey, British isles on both the front and back sticker."

Thank you for your correction, friend. I was the person I added, by mistake, these incorrect information about the Kinfisher manufacturer. I was adding these note to the Butera Pelican and then, repeat it was not my intention, I pasted it to the Kingfisher, too. Peace.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A funny cookie that one. As it's hard to find, an acquaintance was kind enough to send me a generous sampler.

Stoved VA with PER and a pinch of BU.

VAs and PER alternate and the Per peppery taste becomes dominant during the last third. The stoved VA leaves a bittersweet chocolate taste every once in a while, after puffing, for 5-6 seconds then vanishes.

The nicotine punch is above average. Worth the try.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

I tasty combo of three of my favorite tobaccos: Virginia, burley and perique. The crumble cake form is not my favorite, but it's acceptable and does not distract from the smoking experience. You get all the good qualities of each tobacco. The Virginia yields sweetness that is cooled by the perique, and the burley adds body and strength. There's just enough body and nicotine to make it a satisfying smoke.

Kingfisher is a well made, high quality blend that every Virginia/perique smoker should try. It can be hard to find at times, but I will pick up another couple of tins when I can find it. My tin had a few years of age on it and I smoked through very quickly.

One caution is I would not let it get too dry. It seems to smoke well right out of the tin. I usually dry my tobacco more than I do with Kingfisher. It's my favorite tin label as well.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

I have been trying to find someone with this blend in stock for over six months. Tinderbox almost sent it to me, then apologized over the phone that it was a glitch on the website. Last week I got an email from Iwan Ries that it was in stock so I had them send me three tins. The shipping was fast but I spent those two days wondering if it was worth the trouble.

Turns out it was. I could probably live a full and relatively happy life if I'm naught able to get anymore, but I'd prefer it if I were able to. I noticed a few reviewers did mention something I thought was weird too, the tin wasn't really sealed, I mean I got the lid off with my bare hands and one of them in a sling at that. Still, the tin presentation was fantastic, that figgy smell of aged Virginias, or of aged Virginias like Hal O the Wynd ( That vinegary ketchup smell of Mc Cleland Virginia always puts me off a bit) Chocaltely krumble kake flakes with flecks of gold, and all still pretty moist. I rubbed out a few flakes and let them dry. My most curious dog kept sniffing at my fingers and licking them (some tobaccos he cowers from like he cowers from Gin or Vodka. It's Va/Pers and Beer for that dog).

I smoked the first bowl in a fairly large Castello Sea Rock billiard, not usually my first choice, but the doc said rest your shoulder, so I had a long movie and only one hand to watch it with. The slightly dried krumble kake burned well and the taste stayed interesting, not complex, but interesting, more like Casablanca than Donnie Darko (sorry, be told to rest for two weeks now, watching a lot of movies) familiar and engaging, but not surprising. I half expected the burly to ruin it for me as I'm not overly fond of burly, I don't hate it, it just reminds me of hot sauce, something used to cover the poorer quality of the ingredients. No, it acted more like a Bass guitar in this trio, underlining the beat, not taking a solo.

This is the Va/Per equivalent of Special Latakia Flake from Germain and though I didn't research as the gentleman before me, if I were wagering on taste and presentation alone I'd say this blend was made by JF Germain. Not to step on any sacred cows here, but I think Special Latakia Flake may be the best latakia flake out there for combining strength and balance. Certainly the best that's hard to get a hold of. Again, not having researched as Sounds7 (who may not be a gentleman after all, I mean that in the objective sense, not as an insult) it is out of sheer optimism that I expect we haven't seen the last of this blend or the other fine blend from germain.

I'll also confess that one of my main motivations originally for hunting Kingfisher down, besides the reviews here and idle curiosity, was the tin art. Even with limited space and forcing myself not to get all pack ratty, it's a tin I'll keep.

The second bowl was smoked in a fairly narrow, tight, and small Tim West Dublin. Burned well, maintained my interest still. I have yet to find a pipe in my rotation that won't smoke this tobacco well. I'm giving it for stars, one star is for the difficulty of the routine; finding it. Although loathe to recommend solely on my tastes alone, I can't imagine anyone who enjoys a Va/per and has a curious palate regretting having this in their cellar or rotation.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A exceptional smoke, although the Perique is a bit suspect to me. It may be green river burley which is processed in the same way. Regardless, a good smoke.

sounds7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sounds7 (16)

"Originally blended by J.F. Germain in UK, then by McClelland in US, then now by Peter Stokkebye in Denmark." I dont know where the person that added this description gets his information but Butera as of 02/27/2011 is still being blended as it always has been in the UK by J.F. Germain. My brand new tins that came from a couple different etailers say made in Jersey, British isles on both the front and back sticker.

Ted Swearingen of Smokingpipes,com had this to add : "No reason to think that this isn't being made by Germain. Consider that of all the blends offered on Butera's own line, the two made by Germain have been consistently unavailable and one (Kingfisher) just happened to return with Esoterica and Germain offerings from the same distributor. I don't think it's a coincidence."

ted.swearingen@smokingpipes.com

To read more here is a link: http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe- forum/285382-kingfisher-question.html

Based on this information I have requested to tobaccoreviews.com that the description be changed to reflect the truth about this fine tobacco product.Oh and speaking of the truth, yes it is still being made and all the talk of it being discontinued is just that-"talk"

As for kingfisher and my thoughts/ratings: it is a wonderfully smooth, brilliant tasting tobacco made from old tried and true processes by a British company known for such classics as Esoterica Stonehaven,Penzance and Brown flake and Special Latakia Flake. Kingfisher ranks up there with all of them IMO and is a very unique obacco experience. it is no wonder it is so rare and hard to find. 4 out of 4 stars

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

For me this blend was not one that stood out among the crowd, however I did enjoy it. I only had a small sample, from a baggie, so I can't comment on the tin note, but the flavor was exceptional, stayed consistent throughout the bowl although for me it did not peak at any particular point in the smoke. Again I enjoyed this one, I found that it smoked best in smaller diameter pipes, a good early evening smoke for me with a wee bit of body for that after meal pipe. I especially enjoy blends with some perique for that after dinner smoke, so this one was nice for that, just the right amount of perique, not overwhelming. I would like to smoke this one again as I don't feel like I have smoked enough of it to really be an authority on the blend, however I did enjoy it although I may or may not come back to it, I rather hope that I will.

dogwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogwood (17)

Other than my tin being unsealed when I got it this is great stuff. It's a crumble cake cut into flake like strips. It has a great robust perique flavor up front with a nice blend of virginias and burley rounding it out. I was looking for a tin of bayou morning flake but my local store was out of it so the guy suggested this. This was a great choice. I'm missing the bmf a little but this is excellent. If you like perique this is a must try. My all time favorite every day smoke is Old Gowrie but when I'm in the mood for a little more perique I go something like this one. Enjoy!

Hiram Briar 23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hiram Briar 23 (12)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Well, I just finished my last tin of Kingfisher, and Im a little sad to hear it may be discontinued. This is a very decent smoke. A nice dark crumbled flake. Opening the tin at first I was a little apprehensive to smoke it indoors, but the room note is surprisingly tolerable. The perique blend is a little peppery but well balanced. I prefer to smoke smaller amounts at a time as it becomes a little overwhelming in my bigger pipes after a while. Not my favorite by any stretch but a very nice smoke.

adauria Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adauria (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tin Note: Dark brown bits and chunks (after rubbing). A lot of finer particles here too. The smell is primarily darker VAs.

Packing: I let this dry just a tad. It packs very easily. I was careful not to over pack. I left some of the chunky bits chunky.

First Impression: I was surprised by how much of the flavor is actually from the burley. It is quite nutty, with a good bit of VA flavor there too. Well balanced and very tasty. If there's perique here it's not coming through very strong.

Halfway Through Bowl: This is some real tasty stuff. It's not very complex, but there is plenty to keep me interested. Seems a perfect marriage of VA and burley. It is the platonic form of a vabur, as far as I am concerned. Maybe there is some perique, but it's contribution is as an undertone.

End of Bowl: Surprisingly, this did not get harsh at all. It is a cool smoke (thanks to the burley, no doubt). It is pleasant all the way to the finish. Typical levels of dottle, and not excessively moist dottle at that.

Room Note: Probably OK, but hard to say.

Likes: Great flavor - nutty and a little sweet. Well balanced. Burns well too. Avoids harshness.

Dislikes: I'm out of it. I need to get more with my next tobacco order, no doubt.

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

What a consistent smoke. This is some delicious stuff.

Its a burley base with Virginia and some Perique in there for good measure, and thats really about it. The burley takes the front stage with a good nutty/woody flavor to it, with the virginias and the perique coming in to have a few words edgewise, but the star of the show is definitely the burley.

I like this stuff and I was lucky to grab a tin of it at the B&M a while back, considering that I often see it sold out on so many other sites.

Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am totally re-writing my review on this one (2-27-11). At first, I didn't care for this. I felt it was very bland excepting that the Perique took the entire stage. As I am not a big fan of Perique, Kingfisher wasn't my cup of tea. I did like the tin note - very molasses/raisiny. That was a plus. It burned exceptionally well and never produced any moisture nor did it bite - quite a cool smoke actually. Not being a bird fancier, as much as I wanted to like this bird, I could not. I gave it 2 stars, and reluctantly.

Well, I decided to re-visit after many months of it sitting in its tin. It was very dry, and as a crumble cake, well, it was already in a state of crumble. I filled a pipe full and lit up. It wasn't bad, and I managed to snag 3 more tins of it (now out of stock all around). I'm still holding to 2 stars. I wish the wonderful tin note translated into the smoke as Kingfisher is basically a bland smoke with very little flavor. The only thing it has going in the way of flavor is the pepper-like quality from the Perique (which I don't like at all in this blend), and nothing else.

UPDATE 2-27-13: On a whim I just opened a half smoked tin that I got fresh and first opened 2 years ago. The tobacco was bone dry and the kakes were all crumbled. Tin note, although less than when fresh, was still present. It loaded like dry crumbling cereal and if squezzed too hard would turn to dust. This time around it was way better than previous which deserves another star from me. I have two unopened tins that I was going to sell, but now I think I'll hold on to them since I believe it is no longer being produced.

This is a tobacco I had to work at to find it's strengths. My first reaction was of a fairly bland blend of mostly burley and the faintest whisper of perique when it felt like showing itself and the virginia not so much tasted as perceived condimentally.

I still believe this is mostly burley and I think a nice nutty smoke is the intent. But the VA is really a nice teaser, and the blend is chameleon-like from bowl to bowl and less so as the individual bowls progress. In fact, this is a tobacco that changes the most from bowl to bowl of any I've smoked. Some bowls tasted like straight burley and some tasted like a solid VaBurPer. I never knew what to expect, and that has a certain excitement to it. No overabundance of perique in this one, to be sure!

Generally, this is a "set it and forget it" blend that has few surprises down the bowl and that might be a little TOO nuanced for a lot of smokers. I don't see myself buying this again, at least not on a regular basis, but I did enjoy my time with it. If you want something different and you like to concentrate on your smoke and really bond with it, this is recommended. Perhaps for the perique newbie.

PipeJoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeJoe (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This has got to be my favorite pipe tobacco.

First, the cut is magnificent - the tobacco crumbles neatly into a bowl and has a supple texture that allows a few slices to simply fall into the bowl and reduce to rubble. It lights better than anything and instantly rewards with a peppery how-do-you-do from St. James Perish.

This tobacco is best smoked when well packed. On the light it will be coy and subtle - almost nutty. Then as I smoke it, the flavor dynamic darkens drastically. I find myself always tamping it down and being rewarded with ever increasing depths that are exquisite in the back draft and sinuses. Some have noted a musty character in this blend and I think that's quite accurate. I am reminded of a fine cheese when I think of KingFisher. I have always smoked this in my cheap but reliable small-bowl, well caked, bent-apple Duca Carlo. Some other reviews indicate that a well caked small pipe helps this one achieve its full potential.

It's got a satisfying smoke and a wonderful texture that keeps me coming back for more. I can not speak highly enough of this tobacco. It's the only thing I've given four stars to.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)

I find the Kingfisher's balance of its three constitutent tobaccos to be nicely balanced. However, the perique, as other reviewers have noted, is in rare supply. The interplay between the burley and virginia is enjoyable, with figs or apricots coming to mind. Do be advised there is nothing exceptional going on in this blend, but there are pleasures to be found. I appreciate the krumble kake and its ease of loading, resulting in a bowlful requiring very few lights. The tin art is quite a nice touch.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Earthy-spicey-yummy---One of my favorites! If you have any tins cellared,check the seals-This one can be faulty.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

I picked this up last year at a cigar store that happens to carry a few tins. It was dusty and discounted. I opened it and assumed the seal was faulty, it was that dry. I thought about rehydrating it or blending it with something or pitching it, but I forgot.

I rediscovered it this week. It smells like very dry tobacco. It looks like very dry tobacco. I have to take care in getting it out of the tin and into the pipe least it turn to dust. Be that as it may, once lit it is magic.

I bought this during a time when I thought I wanted to marry VApers. At the time, I think I thought Kingfisher was a VAper. I am startled by how much better I like this over, say, Escudo. Of course, I am in a period where I think I want to marry burleys. I am in nuptial bliss.

Backing up a little, I find straight VAs dry my throat. Someone here attributed that to its astringent properties. I think that is right. So, from my throat's perspective, adding burley to anything VA improves the chances I will like it. I really like this Kingfisher. Its got VAs, its got perique, but most of all it has cool, nutty, nicotine laden burley. For me, this works!

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)

This is a blend that definitely appreciates the "right pipe". I found it's deep flavour best comes out in a properly broken in Castello hawkbill: fairly thick walled 3/4" bowl...no ghosts. This is very tasty stuff and I deeply regret not popping one of the three tins I picked up three years ago sooner. Seems they are hard to get now, (figures!). I like Haddo's but would pick this over it anyday...far richer. Finally, the crumble cake, (which crumbles with ease), element is such a treat versus rubbing out flakes, (which more often than not don't rub out but turn into ropes like roll-your-owns). I'm trying to be less easy with handing out 4 stars...but this deserves it in my books. Bring it back already!!!!

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

To start the aroma coming from the can was fairly week, not like Esoterica Tobacciana's Pembroke which is really strong. The Krumble Kake was nice.

Smoking it initially was a pleasure. It had some issues with staying lit, however I tried it fresh when I was new to pipe smoking. It also seemed to burn hot. That again could be that I was new to pipe smoking.

Smoking it part 2. After 6 months of drying the Krumble Kake was quite dry. I'll brake this up a bit; Outside on a 40 degree day with a light breeze the tobacco is amazing, it seems to bring out the flavor. In a Meerschaum it is indeed a nicer smoke. As for indoors in a Briar it gets boring. The flavor is almost unnoticable.

Perique I could only catch the note of it on a fall type weather day, otherwise it seems to not even be there. I have given in my own notes a 7.7 to Kingfisher. I'll have to keep it for a cool windy day smoke.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Update: An extra star for this blend worthy of high recommendation. Loading this in a stack billiard intensified the flavors and strength, making it a year 'rounder for me. Quite versatile. Cigar lovers should give this a whirl, especially if it is a touch on the dry side. ______________________________________________________

I chose Summer heat as the right time of year to delve into this mysterious mixture. The reviews on this site overall gave me the impression that this would ?float? as a warm-weather blend due to its alleged light character and modicum of complexity (if any at all).

I had an instant sensory flashback to Brown Flake by Germain?s when I open my well-aged tin of Kingfisher. The two blends share a musty, citrus aroma in the tin (even a bit of chocolate was noted), along with a strong Burley resemblance between the two. On strength alone, Brown Flake is hardier and deeper flavored overall. Kingfisher was at the right humidification from the onset, whereas Brown Flake was a bit moist in the last tin I enjoyed. That said, the similarities end and Kingfisher takes on its own, fine characteristic.

Think of this as Barbary Coast without the topping, Barclay Mixture with Perique, Cumberland with all the subtlety and much more flavor (and less nicotine shock), MOB 111 altogether more refined and with more Perique, Back Porch without the taste of cut grass and hay, and Grey Havens without the moisture and with flavor.

Kingfisher is really not in the family of Virginia/Perique blends, as Kingfisher is burley, sweetened a bit by Virginias and enriched with Perique. There is a cigar note of some complexity here, not the sweet and deep, swirling high?s and low?s of better V/P mixtures. Three Nuns, Elizabethan Mixture, Haddo?s Delight, Escudo, and Limmerick are not interchangeable with Kingfisher.

I get the most flavor by gently crumbling the slices into chunks, avoiding both sawdust and folded flake. Crumbling the slices allows for easier packing and more surface area to burn without a real downside of increased temperature.

My verdict after testing my impressions of Kingfisher? This is a great Summer blend and one for all year round minus, perhaps, the dead of winter nights (if you have to smoke outside as do I). Hardly boring, mundane or undistinguished and not a nicotine wash either, Kingfisher is easily a satisfying smoke before and through dinner, unless you have eaten the heaviest of fare. Whatever you do, use a very clean pipe dedicated to non-aromatic, non-Latakia/Oriental blends. Try it in a meerschaum.

Remarkably cool, clean and smooth, ending with just a wee touch of the bitters. A charmer, and the nice tin artwork makes it a fine present to a fellow pipester prejudiced toward Burley blends (either way).

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (69)

I love Krumble Kakes! When Mike Butera first presented this blend I was as happy as a pig in slop. This is a balanced blend of burley, virginia and perique. Hardcore VaPer smokers will not necessarily be overjoyed as the burley tones down the perique. The burley also provides a slight nicotine kick. I find this blend smokes best in small bowls. I don't know why it just does. Although I don't smoke it as much as I used to, I always keep a tin on hand.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

For lovers of va/per blend this may be a bit of disappointment; but only because it's not a standard va/per blend. It's va, burley, and perique blended, pressed into cakes, then sliced. The slices break apart just trying to get them out of the tin, but that's what it's meant to do.

I won't go through all the description of tin appearance and aroma, as that has been done aplenty by other reviewers. However, I think it may be worthwhile to explain how I got this tobacco to become one of my favorite all time smokes after trying it, and being sorely disappointed.

First off, you might want to try a smaller pipe. Take two or three of the slices, and crumble them up as fine as possible, then use the gravity feed method to load your pipe. You may want to insert a pipe cleaner through the draw hole as you massage the tobacco into the pipe. The idea here it to have a very fine mixture packed very tightly into a small space.

I have found that, using the above method, this tobacco is extremely tasty and slow burning. It is one of the most enjoyable tobaccos I have ever encountered.

Kleophrades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleophrades (39)

Kingfisher is the blend I use as a vacation from Latakia. It is all-around delightful and takes full advantage of the possibilities in Burley. It does so, first, by using really high-grade tobacco. At its best, as here, the much-maligned Burley gives you the essence of nuttiness and honey. It is never cloying, like an aromatic, but there?s nothing even slightly bitter about it. Kingfisher balances the Burley with warm, stoved Virginias for complexity and backbone. It tastes to me like a 50/50 combo: neither predominates, but the flavors marry for a smoke that is robust but light, all day long. There's Perique in there, too, floating around in the background.

Butera has another Virginia/Burley blend: Stonehaven, produced under the Esoterica label. While Stonehaven has a better tin aroma and comes in wonderfully menacing long black slices, it?s actually pretty boring to smoke. I used to cut it with Wessex Burley Slices until I found Kingfisher. Now there?s no need. Kingfisher is less interesting than Stonehaven in the tin, but in the pipe the situation is reversed.

Kingfisher comes in the same tins as the better-known Penzance and is cut the same way. It arrives a bit dry, and crumbles at the touch ("Krumble Kake," they call it). A bit of rubbing and you?re good to go. It burns quickly, but not hot, to a fine ash (surprisingly fine, for a flake). I smoke this blend in Dublins, as the slight taper to the bowl intensifies the flavor in the second half.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

This is yummy stuff. There's enough written here to make my comments redundant, and I don't have any jokes this morning, so I'll keep it short. Perique content is not too high, just right for me, but it does seem to vary throughout the tin, from cake-flake to cake-flake. I like this. Every smoke is equal in quality and flavor strenght, but the taste profile wanders enough from bowl to bowl, to be ever interesting. Again,yummy. . .better than P.S. Bullseye, or 2015. (I know Bullseye has Cavendish, and 2015 no burley. . Kingfisher is still better). could use more nicotine.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Delicious. That's what comes to mind when I think of Kingfisher. Sweet, earthy, fig-like scents jump out of the tin, and presentation is great.

I love the Krumble Kake format, and Kingfisher rubs out to what I consider a perfect consistency. I never use too much pressure when loading a pipe with this tasty tobacco. I stick to a moderately firm pack, and I'm rewarded with a cool, easy, and flavorful smoke.

Age does wonders to this blend. The obviously high quality of the leaf contributes to the wondeful effects of time. I've never experienced bite from Kingfisher.

I'm surprised by what can be done with mixtures of Virginias, Burley, and Perique (I'm also a big fan of Greg Pease's Cumberland). The variety of flavors, and depth of flavor, makes Kingfisher a hard one to set aside. Great stuff.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)

This is one of my top 5 favorite tobaccos! To me it tastes like Edgeworth sliced with the addition of perique. The only other tobacco I know of that is a Burley/virginia/perique blend is Grey Havens which I like but not as much as this. Maybe it's because this is a Flake tobacco and Grey Havens is a loose tobacco. The pressing of the tobaccos to make the flake might have something to do with the better flavors and blending of the flavors. But I'm sure the tobacco's used are different too.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Mild Strong Full Pleasant

The idea of a high class fisherman being cast upon the jetties of misfortune has been a curse that many have had the displeasure of encountering throughout time. This unfortunately has been the curse befallen upon myself and my crew. My name is Jeremy Waid; extreme angler, writer, adventurer and little known to the rest of the fishing community, an extreme flatulentist. It started with my trip to India to catch the legendary Serang Catfish. Upon landing in the airport I was not happily received by the locals. I began my acquisition on the Serang by interviewing the locals when I had came upon an Indian witchcraft, voodoo, gypsy shaman woman. At fist she tried to sell me her first born granddaughter but I was only interested in fish. My camera man was upset that I turned down this offer, so naturally he took her for himself. He was a bastard and I had always wished that Animals Planet would fire his arse. Besides this point she proceeded to tell me that the Serang was protected by their gibberjabber Hindu myths and that I would never be able to catch it. Fueled with rage and desire to disprove her, that's when it happened. I silently expelled wind so fowl from my nether regions that my crew and the gypsy woman took notice. "Why have you expelled this fowl stench?!" The Gypsy woman said. I immediately turned to her "Whoever smelt it, dealt it, you stupid old hag!"; the crew and I laughed, but the gypsy woman took slight to my false accusation, thus placing a curse on my head that I should forever more be he who dealt it... Soon after this we set out to the river to begin my research. I made sure to fish with only the finest bait known to fishing legends, river pizza. The local Durkadominos had been happy to oblige my journey and provided me with enough to catch enough fish to feed a small village, but at a high price. It didn't matter for the amount of money I made through this television series was enough to cover any expense, including local brothels. Fishing being my number one passion, women were my second. I hold records for monster fish size and also monster man size. People would often look at my face and think that I was a bastard. Who am I to tell them wrong. A few hours into fishing I had no bites, only the sound of starving children and water rippling. I had started to think that the old hag was correct. But I would not give up so easily. Then it happened, another flatulent event that filled the ozone with my putrid stench, must have been the saffron seasoned eggs this morning. With my camera crew nearly passing out, the fish started to jump into the air to make contact with what they thought was food. It was the curse, my flatulence had now become a dangerous weapon, but a weapon that I could use to my advantage. I quickly re-cast my line and hooked a river monster the size of a small car. This was my crowning glory, I had caught the Serang. I had landed the beast and witnessed the ugly mug upon its face, it appeared to look like my brother Jordan Waid. I hated him. I remembered how he would dangle his boy jewels in front of me whenever he would out fish me as children. May his soul rot forever. I made sure that we took as many photographs to not be forgotten. To celebrate I lit my army made Peterson pipe with some Kingfisher tobacco and enjoy the sweet mild aroma mixed with the stench of my hindquarters. So I leave it to the viewer to determine whether I am an extreme angler or now, an extreme farter. You decide. Jeremy Waid, signing off.

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mild and not as sweet as most va flakes. A unique experience.

Le Fumeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Le Fumeur (10)

I find this to be a very odd little tobacco. The smell in the tin is almost nauseating, like band aids or overly-sweetened fig preserve. However, it does not taste like it smells. It is a fine little smoke.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice tin, though I like the older one they display here on the site better. This is esoterica without the heavy anise topping. The perique is milder than most others. Though not bad, it's not something I'd go out of my way to try again. If I'm going to tread the crumble cake route, I'd much rather enjoy the great Penzance. And now I've learned that Old Ironsides is also splendid, and I plan on trying some of that very soon. For those who enjoy something different: burley & va/pq, you might want to give this one a try. Otherwise, don't bother.

Two of five stars

9/19 - i was hard on this one, i admit. after trying it again, it's really in a class by itself, though germain is stamped all over it. it's penzance light: fruitier & less aggressive. more of a piccolo than a flute. i enjoyed this in late summer. it had dried out a bit & provided a pleasant diversion for when old ironsides & penzance were simply too heavy. this might be better as a warm weather blend in a smaller pipe.

upgrade to three and a half of five stars

miracleman83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miracleman83 (13)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I'm not into crumble cakes, but I thought I'd give this a try. Beautiful packaging had much to do with my decision to give it a go. I'm very much into pretty packaging.

I didn't like this much at all. I've just got a bit to finish off, then I'll be done with it forever. It smells and tastes musty. Even stale. Never had anything else like it. If you have had other musty tobaccos and liked them you'll probably love this.

rosczich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rosczich (9)

this one is a very uniqur blend. i allways take care to find the right pipe for a tobacco. in most briars this one fades out, but who ever have the chance to smoke this kingfisher in a morta pipe wont believe its the same stuff. i let it crumble dow in a fantastic big prammer morta billiard and am fully satisfied each time. of cause mortas are not easy to find but its worth every penny to buy one. kingfisher and morta makes a real fantastic smoking expriance.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

There's a good amount of Burley here I'm guessing, and the burley seems somewhat similar to the kind of Burley I've found in University Flake...strong, cool but slightly flavorless or "empty", not the nutty kind.

However the VA component is much more pronounced here than in UF, so the overall smoke isn't as powerful and never gets bitter. And of course there's no Perique in UF at all. All in all this a very smooth and delectable Krumble Kake that still has that signature Germain mustines, presumably from the VA. The Perique is at about the level found in Elizabethan Mixture, in my estimation. I do believe I'll have to dedicate a pipe to this to get everything out of the experience.

calavera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calavera (26)

I picked up a tin of this and forgot about it for six months. Saw it, and opened it up. Had an awesome tin aroma. Kind of an apricot like note. The krumble kake is nice also. You hardly have to roll it around to break it up into almost a powder. Pack carefully.

Burns adequately.

Smoke it most often in a Kirsten that I have dedicated to Va/perique combos. It has a subtle sweetness from the Virginias, a slight peppery note from the perique and a nice toastiness from the burley.

If you are a fan of perique, you might not like this one as there is little of it present. The amount here lends just the right effect for me, however. This is my favorite Va/perique blend.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a tin of Kingfisher back in July,03 and smoked some of it right away. I noted that the tobacco was a little on the damp side,so I smoked a few more bowls here and there and put it away for a while. Well just last week I got back to the old Kingfisher,and boy what a few months made! Lately, I have found myself smoking this more than any other tobacco in my stock. The Burleys are outstanding,and the Perique,oh my goodness what a great combination together.The perique adds that warm stewed fruit to the nutty round taste of the Burley. The Virgiia leaf is suttle and not to tangy,though it is there. This tobacco does have a BIG nicotene lift and I have dedicated a pipe to it.Wonderful tobacco.

Update-2005 I still like this tobacco blend and if it weren't for the steep price I'd probaly smoke it on a more regular basis-( wish I could get it in bulk).

The pipe that I have found best suited for this IMO is my Dunhill Cumberland group 4 size,(small bowl). The smaller chamber seems to really burst the flavour out.

Sipped softly this is a great tasting tobacco.It is mellowy,and high in nicotene.The ash does turn yellow indicating to me there is old belt North Carlina Virgina leaf here. Sip-Sip- Sip. If you are one who rated this tobacco low, try it again sometime,I'll just bet your taste buds have changed,and you'll like it. Hey,it happens with me.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Since Kingfisher is crumble cake, it smokes nice, cool and slow. However, akin to Petersons University Flake, it is for the most part tasteless, even though it contains perique.

Lord Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Cavendish (5)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

First off, because kingfisher is crumble cake it provides a very nice, cool, even smoke; and the molasses seems to have no ill effect on the experience. But i found it, overall, to be rather tasteless, despite the perique. Afterwards i was left with too much of a buzz (im a lightweight to nicotine though). I can never smell a tobacco while its in my bowl, but it was tolerable to those around me.

~Lord Cavendish~

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Wow, I thought, a Perique blend in cruble cake form. The excitement ends there folks. If you, like me, love Penzance for its flavor and cut, you'll be sorely dissapointed here. It burns well, stays lit and no bite, but the trade off is no flavor. Burley and Perique must keep this blend cool, but the VA just doesn't stand up. I'm glad I tied this blend, but before you drop the high dollars on this blend, see if you can sample some -- you coulda had better!

This is Perique done correctly. It is cool and rich and the Perique provides a wonderful zest to the blend.It comes in krumble kake and is incredibly similar in cut and burning charateristics to Penzance (same company).I normally do not smoke flake or Perique, but this is true magic.It has a sour taste but in a good way -think ESOTERICA. I would encourage anyone who likes a different English blend to buy this, it provides a little relief from Latakia, yet yields a potent and natural flavor. 3 of 4 stars.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

A medium strength va/p/burley mixture. This blend focuses more on earthy, fruity tastes than the cigar and pepper mixture normally associated with the ingredients. Smooth and well behaved, I could imagine this being a great transitional blend into the VA/P realm. There is enough Perique to create a tingle, but not so much that you run for the water bucket. The texture and aroma is reminiscient of McClelland's - but not quite so sticky and pungent.

An autumnal sweetness not unlike Dorchester peaks into the smoke. This is counterbalanced by a much more defined cigarette flavor and aroma - ala Stratford.

It is a quality smoke from an expert blender - but as others have noted seems to be slightly understated. However this could easily be a va/p mixture which fills the niche of easy to enjoy yet slightly earthy and rich.

I don't know why people write reviews of tobacco blends they know they won't like! If you like Virginnia-Burley-Perique Flakes then I highly recommend this one. The Burley is fairly understated the Virg. and Perique dominate. The one negative is there is very little tobacco in this 50 gram tin. Seriously, there couldn't be more than 5 or 6 pipefulls in this tin! I used the gravity fill method with the very lightest tamp after first light. It smoked perfectly.

I must say that I liked the smoking characteristics of this blend....rubbed out in an instant, lit well, smoked cool but I did not take to the strong presence of the perique. This was the first time that I know of trying a blend with perique and though I find it interesting, it was too much for me. UF was once my favorite after dinner smoke but I found it way too stong with ammonia and nicotine for my tastes....though I remember the Burley/VA flavor fondly. I like the perique in Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture much more than this blend.

Update 03/06/2011:

Wow its been years since I have tried this blend. I must say that my tastes have changed greatly...or maybe the blend has changed? Either way this is a mild blend as far as taste is concerned with a nice full aroma however. The perique is very mild and over the years I have grown to like greater amounts of perique. The burley is the most pronounced component and I had a hard time detecting the virginias. I do like this blend and will probably cellar a few tins. I have changed this from a two star baccy to three...pretty darn good.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Cigarettish (bitter and dull), with sour notes. Of very little interest for me, but without extremely unpleasant traits.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

Two observations about this tobacco previously noted: As Bobcat13 mentioned, I, too, agree that KF has a very distinct, one-dimensional, cigar-like note about it. This was not unwelcome but it was unexpected. This was prevalent for the first two-thirds of the bowl and pleasurable, especially when sipped. And as Pipestud touched upon, I found that the perique REALLY kicked in towards the bottom one-third of the bowl. But unlike Pipestud?s favorable experience, this hot and spicy perique overload was not pleasant for me. I have experienced this ?bottom-of-the-bowl perique overload? with a few other VA/Per blends. Because of this latter characteristic, I am not enamored with this blend. I will cellar some and revisit it.

I rate this tobacco 6.0 out of 10

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)

A couple of notes - others here have done good jobs describing this blend.

1. I've determined that I do NOT like "krumble kake" as a cut of tobacco. The ashes end up everywhere, it's a mess.

2. This tobacco just tastes bad. The leaf quality is (as all Germain/Esoterica blends) excellent, this has nothing to do with quality. It's a personal thing and I just don't like this blend.

3. I've tried old Kingfisher, new Kingfisher.. big pipes, small pipes.. all with the same results. The tobacco tastes bad, it's not a blend that is for me.

I may be enticed to try this again ONE MORE TIME but I honestly think not. I wanted to like this blend. The quality is good! However, life is too precious short to smoke pipe tobacco that doesn't agree with your tastebuds. It's a preference thing.

I can't think of another blend with the same taste as Kingfisher so no need in attempting to compare it. Good luck!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

My first experience with a Krumble Kake type tobacco was "Krumble Kake" from Smoker's Haven, which was very good. I picked up a tin of Kingfisher at my local B&M in hopes that it would be as good. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed.

Basically, it crumbles upon even the slightest touch, which makes taking it out of the tin a real pain. It lights just about like any other caked tobacco. Slightly moist right out of the tin.

The taste is nothing extraordinary. It's like a weaker version of 1792 Flake. An acceptable amount of nicotine and not much else. A very bland taste that offers nothing to make me want more.

I'll chalk this up to experience and store the tin away in a drawer somewhere. I have no desire to smoke it again.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Kingfisher is the VA/Burley/Perique version of Penzance. In other words, the cross-cut crumble cake that you either love or hate. I personally like the cut as it stays nice in the tin for a long time, but is easily crumbled and packed into the bowl (try running a cleaner into the bowl after packing as it helps clear out the little bits that sometime clog things).

Wonderful musty, dried-fruit aroma from the Perique. I thought I was in for a treat.

Sadly, the flavor was marginal. It was just too one-dimensional and strong. Now I like strong tobaccos, so don't get me wrong. It is just that this stuff was too basic, so it was only strong with nothing else to hold my interest.

If you like strong flavored VA/Perique blends you might try it. It just didnt do anything for me.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A strong dark dominate Burley with a touch of Perique & Virginia.

Tin aroma, IMO, was light. I had difficulty in reaching an aroma. Slight Virginia Wine.

The room note gave no bad reviews. In fact, my wife liked the smell. She rated it as a very good and true "tobacco smell".

Taste was definitly a dominate Burley. The Perique was there but it enhanced the Burley and did not try and over-ride. The Va was slightly noticable.

Took me back to days inwhich I would smoke my step-father's Black Petes and Ibolds.

Good occasional smoke. A very good change of pace from Va's................................... Burley fans, .......Try This One!

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)

The best thing about this blend is it's tin which is lovely. As a Virginia/Perique/Other Stuff blend it's perfectly pleasant if a little dull. Quite consistent from the top to bottom of the bowl. I'm by nature lazy, and even though "crumble cake" is easy to work with, I prefer ribbon or other loose tobacco cuts. Given the plethora of fine V/P/O blends in more convenient cuts I won't put this in my to buy list. It's very much worth trying however.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a nice, easy to smoke tobacco. Similar to Haddo's Delight fomr Pease, but a bit lighter and with a touch of finesse. It is good when you want something different and on the light side, but when smoked consistently it tends to lose its appeal, at least for me.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

(From blind tobacco tasting review)

Appearance: A mottled broken flake, perhaps 15% bright, 60% brown & 25% black. Good smoking moisture level (on the dry side).

Tin Aroma: A natural Virginia smell, with a mildly fermented, wine-like quality. I pick up a hint of unburned clove cigarette and a hint of non-Latakia smokiness.

First Smoke: New corn cob pipe. Started on a dog-walk, ~36 F. No fear of light-up bite, has a matured tobacco smoothness and lack of bright flavors. Pleasant flavor, but no Wow! reaction here. Very nice sidestream aroma, and a nice medium taste and body.

DGT for 5 hours, then smoke on front porch, ~27 F. The flavors begin to expand slowly, haltingly, with a muted top note browned marshmallow, and a ginger-like ?tang? and not-unpleasant bitterness. The middle range has a nice toasty sweetness and a subtle campfire element. The lower range is nicely creamy but muddled, and I occasionally pick up a camembert twang. The blend lacks any clear, contrasting flavors, and changes very little as the bowl progresses. The strength and flavor don?t really change during the smoke, except for a sourness that develops near the end of the smoke, overwhelming any other flavors. My guess is that this blend uses a goodly amount of matured, non-American, Red Virginias producing a creamy but dull blend. The sourness is probably "burley curse."

Second Smoke: Two days later, in a perfectly-caked Comoy Silver Cloud. This smoke is almost identical to the first.

Summary: I don?t want to create the impression that I dislike this flake. It is a nice, smooth, easy-smoking blend - it?s just not thrilling. If there weren?t so many tobaccos that I love, I would smoke this without much regret. Matured Virginia fans may love this. I will happily keep my sample to use for blending.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

Kingfisher is a Butera blend that is different. It is a Va/Burley/perique blend that is quite nice and easy to smoke. It is not the kind of blend that I can smoke daily. However, that being said I find it enjoyable and interesting change of pace, even from other perique blends. It comes in a Krumble Kake style and I probably will not purchase another tin of this. You might find it more enjoyable than I but is certainly worth an occaissonal puff on.

Traeldor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traeldor (2)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Greetings and Salutations fellow imbibists. I thought I'd share my thoughts and experiences on a 'try' with Buteras's Kingfisher tobacco. tin: Rectangular, Beautiful picture on the cover Label: claims Virginia, Burley & Perique. Also proclaims "Double Cut, Krumble Kake. Opening tin: Found wrapped similar to Penzance, with white paper seemingly grease attached. Sniff test: Mild figs and raisins aroma, also deep undertones of Burley following the perique figgy smell. Color of Baccy: Dark Brown with 'spots' of light gold pieces scattered throughout. Texture: Lives up to the name of Krumble Kake. Noticed it to be slightly overmoist. with and hour or two left open, it could come down to the moisture level of MacB Navy flake. Flakes are twice the thickness of Navy Flake, But disintegrate quite well into the Krumble. Rub Out: Leaves lots of crumbles, with a few shags left for packing. Definitely NOT needed to reserve crumbs for charring. Packs: Packs tightly a little too quickly for my tastes. Smoking flavors: First Light brought the Wonderful spice of Perique, which held predominate for the first third of the bowl. Had to slow down, pack tighter to stay lit, and to have even burning. Second Light Minimal taste of perique, noticing the undertones of a darker 'chocolaty' leathery flavor building behind the fruity perique. Wondering where the sweet Virginia is at this point. Middle third of the bowl: Burley, shining in great detail here. That dark, wonderful fullness is definitely on top of the smoke here. Beautiful burn, smoking well, OH is this the zone? Listening to the raindrops hitting the porch roof, and mesmerized by the slight breeze wrestling with the clouds of smoke rising from the bowl. Aroma: Very mild, almost fruity smell. Sweet lingering after taste forming in mouth from Nostrils. Bottom third: Burley still going strong, Hmm, slight sweet VA taste. Perique makes second appearance, but still behind the burley. Bowl had to be heavy tamped at the end to facilitate even, and complete burning. Smoked clear to heel, with dark grey ash left. Bowl slightly warm in hand finished bowl, left with sweet Virginia aftertaste that reminds me that the label was correct. Pipe cleaners removed gunk similar to a heavy Latakia smoke, and took two to come clean. FYI I smoked it in a 95% broken in Sasienni 4 Dot rusticated Bent Brandy, that is reserved for VA or VA/P blends. I used a zippo to light and had no problems all the way to the heel. Trick was packing hard and tight once lit. Otherwise in the first light, she was burning in the center, and not the edges. Overall result, I like it. I'm going to be buying this tin for some stockup. Might see how she fares as an all day smoke.

Hope you enjoyed reading my review... Trael

I have just returned from my pipe club's monthly meeting (7/30/02) where I tried my first-ever bowl of Kingfisher. I do like virginia/burley combinations, but am hesitant about trying blends with perique added. I just am not very fond of the stuff.

Having said the above, I actually found Kingfisher to be pleasant. Not a bell ringer, but certainly a quality blend. It is a krumble cake very similar to Penzance in that regard. It looked rich in the tin and had a burley smell more so than anything else. At first light (which took awhile), I did get a mild dose of the peppery perique. After several puffs however, the Louisiana product gave way to the subtle pleasures of a good burley/virginia mix. It smoked cool and mostly dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The perique did reappear near the end of the smoke, but not enough to turn the experience ugly. The leaf must be lined with asbestos though. I've never smoked a tobacco so hard to light and keep lit. If you can ignite the leaf, you'll find this to be a unique blend that's worth a try, IMO.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I have smoked this natural blend periodically since it was introduced into the market several years ago. I have several English and Italian pipes dedicated to it, including a small McArris (originally made for McCranie by Bill Taylor), a smallish Costello (kkk), a medium small Spanu, and a medium Ashton (XXX). Each has several ounces of the blend in the cake. This blend is a masterpiece, but is not for everyone.

This is a Krumble Kake, meaning it is packed in flakes in a tin, but the flakes easily break upon removing them. It is good to break them up a little more than a push down (or stop) of a flake in the bowl. It burns better that way. Don't rub the flakes too much, as the perique will produce a sharper flavor then. Also secure the tin in a wrapper after opening, or else the tobacco will start to dry out within two weeks. If too dry, the blend will smoke somewhat harshly.

Upon first smoking this in the McArris several years ago, it was obvously a natural, seemingly mild, but didn't seem like it had much flavor. The flavor crept in after several more bowlfulls. After a little more experience with it, the perique was definitely there, giving a charming spicy note to a straight tobacco blend. In fact, to me this is one of the first perique blends that you can taste the perique edge without the blend being either harsh or sharpe. Other scented va./perique blends may mask the perique.

I was told by one Texas tobacco proprietor back then that Mike Butera was trying to capture in this blend the tradition, not exact flavor or strength, of the then extinct Escudo. Having tried several tins of the re-introduced Escudo since then, I believe that is a fair statement (the newer Escudo to me is sweeter with more virginias and only slightly spicy with a perique note).

Kingfisher has burley too, so it has more heft but not the sweetness of a straight virginia blend. If you don't react well with burley, this blend may not be for you. Once you get the flavor in your pipe, this blend seems as natural with perique as can be. The perique is not at all overwhelming as C&D's Exclusive mixture can be, but to me the perique flavor comes through in every puff of Kingfisher. Being from Louisiana, I like it. But I admit the overall flavor is not as complex as Pease's Haddo's Delight. It doesn't have to be, especially if aged a wee bit.

To me, it is spicier than Edgeworth flake, stronger than MacBaren's sweeter Navy Flake, competitive with Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky, and just plain different from Peterson's University Flake, all of which have varous degrees of burley in them.

I am smoking a tin of Kingfisher which has aged for several years now (with more in cellar). About the same but, as expected, with more of a perique nose and taste and a little bit more strength. Just slightly fuller overall. I would say a new tin would be more of a medium, so if you like a straight tobacco and want a note of perique there, try a tin of this. It's dry smoking, biteless, and cool. It is spicy, more bitter than sweet, but has a very interesing natural taste. It goes best in a small pipe, especially if aged some. Not all like the indoor aroma.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first experience with "crumble cake" since Bengal Slices, which would not stay lit worth a damn. This one lights well, stays lit well and provides a steady flavor, although the flavor is more Burley than Virginia or Perique. In short, just a bit disappointing. The quality is very high, but it simply lacks enough taste to keep me coming back.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

Great smoking characteristics . Packs well , lights well , burns evenly . Other than that it didn't do much for me . It's a good tobacco for a light smoke , but not very memorable to this hard core latakia lover . It's on the list to return to in a few years . I may revise this in the future .

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Tin Aroma: The combination of Burley and Perique in this blend combine to form a rather odd smell. It took me some time to be able to pin down anything that this smells like, and the best I can come up with; soured fruit, is a poor attempt. There is a dusky heady scent that is almost impossible to quantify, but is very intriguing.

Physical Characteristics: This is called, on the tin, "double cut krumble kake", and that may just be the best way to describe it, unless you want something more blunt, in which case, "pressed cube cut" would do. Smallish flakes, packed in a 2oz tin, these rub out to a nice cube at the slightest provocation. Once rubbed out, they pack nicely, easily filling a bowl in such a manner as to provide a nice even burn throughout.

Notes: If there is a continium of Burley/Perique blends, Edgeworth Slices is at one end (bright and lively) and this is at the other end (dark and strong). I enjoy both, and would probably enjoy any Burley blend, given half a chance. As with any cube cut blend, the possibility to pack too tightly is greatly enhanced, as is your chance of accidentaly inhaling a small globule of flaming tobacco, but once the avoidance of these two situations is mastered, this is a delightful blend. I find myself smoking this more in the evening than in the morning, as I find it's heavier character more appealing then. This is also a good Autumn blend for those of us living in climates warm enough to make our beloved Latakia uncomfortable to smoke in Summer.

Verdict: A solid additio nto tthe smoking repetoire of any Burley/Perique fan, and one I heartily endorse!

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A krumble kake-style cut blend of virginias, burleys, and perique. It's a fairly light blend that is generous on the burley, which gives it a slightly nutty, musty taste at first. The virginias add a bit of sweetness from the first light, but as you pass the one-third point the virginias build strength and (when combined with the burley flavors) create a noticeable toasted-almonds and raspberry-honey flavor and complementary aroma, like a nice aged champagne. The perique keeps the virginia's acidity under control and provides a balancing sourness to add additional complexity.

Like most burley blends, Kingfisher really responds well if you dedicate a pipe to it -- burley is so mild that the constant seasoning the pipe receives really helps bring out the flavor and complexity, while smoking anything else in the pipe can easily overwhelm the burley's flavors. Kingfisher's toasted-almond and raspberry-and-honey flavors really started jumping out at me after I'd run about a tin through my Radice kingfisher pipe.

This blend is a wonderful summer smoke (I'm in Houston where "summer" means 100+ degF), and is mild enough for all-day smoking.

WARNING! Do not smoke this in a latakia pipe as the resulting flavor is pretty nasty. Dedicate a pipe to it, or smoke it in a fresh cob.

Govangogh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Govangogh (6)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Kingfisher was my favorite tobacco for about two months a few years back. I love the lemon-like musty smell in the tin. It is sold under the Butera name but is made by Germain in the British Isles, the same factory as Penzance and is similar in it's krumble cake form which is very fill friendly and compact. the taste is very elusive and can be somewhat addictive at first. It is a good Burley-Perique smoke but make sure you smoke it fresh, because the taste gets very harsh when it drys out. A good change of pace for the English smoker that needs a break from Latakia for a while. And I cannot say that Kingfisher reminds me of anything else, except maybe a milder version of Three Nuns. Recommended. Arnold Smith

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)

Here's a nice dictionary entry for "krumble kake tobacco". It's good, it smokes evenly and burns well, and it has virtually no interesting characteristics to me. This is a shame because it's named after a very entertaining bird and the tin art for both this and Pelican make the tobacco interesting for appearance alone. This is not a tobacco that would be gracefully skimming the ocean waves, though - it would more likely be plunked home in front of the TV watching sitcoms. It's not a bad tobacco at all, just not a very good or notable one.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I don't taste anything. Nothing. Smokes like hot dirt.

Actually, to be more forthrightly honest, there were a few puffs where something reminiscent of flavor slipped to my tastebuds, and those hints of flavor were actually kind of nice, but it took some work and those phantasms of flavor were too ephemeral to bring into focus.

Too much work for so little return. Life's too short to continue smoking something in the hopes that I'll be lucky enough to chance upon some toothsome will-o'-the-wisp.

UPDATE 12/30/13: Tried it again a few years later. Nothing new to report.

Michigander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michigander (19)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I guess I am just not a Butera fan. This was better than Pelican, but nothing to right home about. I just did not find it at all exceptional.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I just don't get it. The tin aroma was of faint tobacco, the texture is OK, but the flavor was missing. I smoked two tins back to back in a variety of pipes, but........nothing. I even smoked this inside the house while comfortably seated, and searched high and low for the perique, but alas, I could not find it. I thought it tasted rather cigarettish at times. I guess I am spoiled by McClellands 2015. I do like the krumble kake though, but I guess I am missing some crucial tastebud spectrum bandwidth required for this blend. On the upside though, I smoked it with such intensity and concentration that I got a major case of the hiccups, which my wife found ever so amusing. Maybe the perique slipped in unnoticed after all.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've smoked this in a variety of pipes. Small pipes bring out the flavour. In big pipes all you taste is the burley.

The tin smells like figs, but the taste is very mild. The suggestion to smoke this in a meerschaum is a good one, you'll want either a dedicated pipe or a meerschaum to really get at the flavour.

As a latakia smoker, this will not replace Scottish Cake for when I want something different. It's just too bland and uninterestng.

Update: smoke this in a dedicated latakia pipe. It adds a wonderful complexity to the blend.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Tin: Musty Fig Newton smell. The aroma lures you into trying to identify the individual components in this VAPER/Burley. Apricots come to mind. Pressed cake, cross-cut into slices, that crumbles. Moisture level was such that the crumbled up tobacco could almost be pressed into a ball.

Packing & Lighting: Packing is quite a chore. Tryed to scoop out each slice with the spoon of my tamper but the slices kept crumbling, so they were just scooped out anyway. Easily overcrumbled to a powdery consistency. Be careful not to pack too tightly. Using flake just stuffed into the pipe, moisture necessitates two strong efforts to achieve first light, is more difficult to keep lit, but is slower burning. Crumbling KF to a powder, it burns easily with one match.

Taste & Aroma: There is a definite Perique aroma, levelled on a burley base. Not much taste; the Perique is not peppery. KF smokes cool, if it isn't hurried, but it does not smoke to an ash. The dottle doesn't burn well, but there is no moisture in the stem. Biteless. I don't get a good VA signature from KF. With residue left in the pipe, I couldn't call KF clean-burning.

Room Note: Stale, burley. The ash had a strong cigar odor.

Nicotine: For a Perique blend, KF is moderate.

Overall: Just not my thing; not enough of a VA signature; too much burley.

TeeBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TeeBee (19)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is my second experience of perique, and I can say that this is not my cup of tea. The peppery taste that some reviewers praise feels like chewing strong pepperoni. I will stick to my sweet VA and danish aromatics (and latakia from time to time). The tobacco in the tin is very nice though, very similar to Penzance in the look (same producer?)

zakellen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zakellen (4)

I have to admit that I have a sentimental attachment to this tobacco. It is the first I tried when I decided to move away from the Grabow /Borkum Riff combination that I had understandably forgotten about years before.

Now, keep in mind that I was used to getting my tobacco out of a plastic and paper pouch, so when I opened that tin of Krumble Kake I was a little perplexed. The strips were very dark and smelled earthy, sweet and borderline pungent; when I tried to get them out of the tin they, well?krumbled.

That winter night I tried my first Kingfisher out of a small Dublin bowl I knew that fine pipes and tobaccos were in my life for good. I also found that, quite miraculously, I had a winning combination with tobacco/pipe/temperature combination on my very first smoke! Since then, I have tried Kingfisher out of a wide/shallow bowl and a deep/wide bowl just to find absolute wrongness throughout the entire ordeal. Also, I have found that on summer days the spice in the nose is left un-rounded due to the heat and humidity of the day. I have smoked Kingfisher now in all the ranges of temperature, humidity, and bowl shapes that Iowa and my pipe rack have to offer. Again, the original combination is essential to get this tobacco to behave.

As far as any flavor is concerned, it is definitely a subtle, familiar smoke that I had trouble pinpointing. It wasn?t until I had a friend come back from Turkey and brought with him a tin full of whole dried figs that I knew what it was. When I popped the fig in my mouth I instantly thought of Butera?s Kingfisher blend on that first winter?s night.

A very peculiar note: the first tin I tried was dark, robust, sweet, and a favorably pungent; also, the tin was barely two thirds full. The second tin I bought was much lighter in color, not as rich, and the tin was completely full. If not for the tin, I would have thought that these were two different blends (the first being the better). I am trying to find another tin of Kingfisher so I can get an idea of what ?normal? is for the blend but am finding that, due to Katrina, it will probably be close to winter again before I do.

So, until next time, I'll leave my judgment as this: If done right, Kingfisher is an even burning, cool smoke with subtle, earthy, delightful, well rounded, tones... It has the potential to be nasty and the potential to be outstanding! Stick to the prescribed smoking method and this finicky smoke will not do you wrong!

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

This is a very straightforward Virginia Burley mix, with just a bit of Perique to give a slightly figgy thing to it. I'm not too impressed with the overall smoke -- it is a very dry, mildly unflavored experience, much like a high-quality cigarette. The manner in which it delivers a "Burley hit" through the medium of the Virginia is really well-balanced -- no bite and no excessive "mouthy" taste. Opening the tin and then packing this flake into a pipe is the most enjoyable part of the smoke, for me. It's a rather sticky crumbly cake, with a horizontal cut that runs across the direction which most of the cubes of flake I'm familiar with are cut. You can take two flakes -- about 1/2 inch by 3/4 inches apiece -- for a given average-to-large pipe size. I stuck it vertically in a Jirsa canted Dublin and just let the vertical lines of flake crumble themselves into the bowl as I packed it. That much was fun. It's mildly difficult to get to its first light (not unlike most cake tobaccos) but then it pretty much stays lit easily. Well, until the bottom of the bowl. I have a helluva time keeping the bottom bit lit, to the point that the dottle is about twice or three times as much as would be usual. Maybe it's just how I pack it.

I recommend this for an all-day smoke if you like a little bit of Burley and have a high tolerance for "the curse." The figgy Perique aids in delivering that nicotine but the main experience is a straightforward mild Virginia.