A distinctive combination of zesty lemon Virginia, burley, and perique. All whole leaf is layered together then pressed in cakes until the blend of whole leaf are perfectly matured. Cut and spun to ribbon form, the ribbon is then pressed into cakes for a second time (Double Cut). Then we cut the cake into flake form and packaged in 2 oz tins achieving an even more exquisite finish as time passes. A light, sweet, mellow smoke, subtle and complex, with a flavor curve ranging from lightly zesty through richly satisfying.

BrandButera
Manufactured ByJ. F. Germain & Sons
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

3.1

Let me say that I can understand some of the negative reviews of this blend. I had purchased a tin of this in 2009 but before I opened it, I had a chance to try some from a friend. It was wet, the sliced krumble kake fell apart and there was too much burley forward for my personal taste. Not to mention, that if over-dried, it turned to dust. As a result, I never purchased anymore (stupid me), and never opened my tin. Now in 2014, while looking for something new to smoke out of my cellar, I popped my now five year old tin. The aroma was fantastic. The oils, or whatever causes the tobacco to seep through the paper, had occurred and I was left with a wonderfully sweet VaPerBur with the Burley moved well back. It is still a bit of a pain in the bum to work with and one still has to be careful not to allow it to turn to dust, but the flavor, from top to bottom of the bowl was outstanding! The Virginia’s are wonderfully sweet, the Perique is just right and the burley makes itself known toward the end of the bowl, but never becomes bitter. I cannot say for sure if there isn't some manually added sweetness, but my guess is no. I have experienced changes from age before, but this one is toward the dramatic end of the spectrum. Kingfisher has a fair amount of Lady N, and if smoked in a deep bowl, it could become strong for some pipe smokers. I was tempted to only offer up three stars because of the challenges associated with Kingfisher, but I just can’t, it’s just too good.

Pipe Used: several, mainly group 2

The burley is earthy and nutty with some molasses, and more often than not, takes a leading role. The Virginias are citrusy with a little tangy stewed fruitiness, and a bit grassy with a touch of earth. Much of the time it performs as the base of the blend rather than the main driver. The perique is a smaller support player with some spice, raisins, and fig notes. Sometimes, it’s not very noticeable and at its peak, is still a condimental addition. Has a mild nic-hit. Packed in crumble cake form, it’s easy to break apart. Burns at a slow pace, fairly cool, clean, smooth, and a little creamy at times. It will require a number of relights. I recommend a sipping pace even though it won’t bite. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. There’s a fair amount of nuance in the flavor, which tends to be inconsistent as it will change on you several times during the smoke. The burley is the one constant throughout the experience, and is mostly the last thing you’ll taste as you burn it to ash.

Deimitori Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deimitori (11)

I am happy to have smoked this fine blend. It has a gentle and also full creamy taste. The tobacco leafs mixed in this blend are of the best quality. A nice natural tobacco aroma comes out when the tin is opened. This combination of Virginia, Burley and Perique is a very nice one. The taste is mostly a nutty one comes from the Burley and keeps in a very great harmony with the Virginia's sweetness and Perique's peppery touch. Easy to pack and light it and there is no tongue bite, just a fine smoking experience. Goes so well while drinking a coffee. It has a medium nicotine level. The crumble cake flakes of Kingfisher are giving a complex smoking experience that gives pleasure to the pipe smoker who will smoke it slowly and calm. Since this blend is no longer in production, I just hope one day to be back again. It is a lovely tobacco, a Kingfisher "tobacco bird" that with it's excellent and tasty pipe smoking "colors" will keep you happy while smoking your pipe with it!

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin description of this blend says it better than I ever could. It says "Subtle but Complex". That sums it up right there.

Kingfisher is a really nice krumble kake. The tin art is really nice and classy and the blend is a true winner.

This blend is pretty dark in the tin, and can appear to be a little moist, but in my experience it performs flawlessly without any drying time. This is a vaper I think...er maybe not...a burley?..er.. Well whatever it is it is really nice. I cant really pick up the perique, and the Virginias are not a high note sweet type, more like a earthy dark Virginia, like Wessex campaign flake.

The flavors here are really comforting. Nothing really sticks out but this is a nice warm feeling blend. It has a wonderful genuine tobacco flavor, and I for one think as subtle as this blend is it is really quite complex. This blend also pairs amazingly well with single malt scotch, especially the islay's, laphroig to be particular.

This blend seems to be getting hard to find. If you can get your hands on some snap it up.

Recommended

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)

This wonderful Krumble Kake has been around for quite some time, but it is one of the more rare tobaccos to be able to find. The smell is wonderfully natural, yeast like, savory in the tin and the waxed paper was oily upon opening. This breaks apart so easily and packs very well also, loosely packed in the bowl when dried some this comes to life with flame. The amount of smoke produced is impressive and the perique makes itself known quite well in the beginning. The VAs are quite nicely on par with the perique and you have a wonderful blend that delivers full body (burley helping here) and moderate strength. I have not seen any of this online for years, so if you do by chance see some, snatch it up and I think you will be well rewarded. I did not know this was discontinued, after speaking with a shop owner I trust he indicated it is simply very hard to find and production is low. So I'm not sure if its off or on in small quantities. A very good blend to be sure, whether here or gone. TYLJFSM

atomzero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomzero (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco has a very mild flavor, but at times I notice a slight citrus note, and for whatever reason, it leaves my mouth enjoying the taste of delicious seafood.

When I smoke this blend, my cares seem to disappear into the air along with the smoke. It is a very relaxing experience that I only wish I had more time in the day to enjoy. I am not very sensitive to nicotine, but I'll count the feeling I get here as a respectable buzz.

I do not have a very sensitive or experienced palate either, and my opinion of this tobacco may increase as I try more. I agree with the reviewers that suggest drying time in advance. This stuff is pretty moist, and I have yet to smoke it as far down as I'd like to, though I admit I am still a novice pipe smoker.

Give it a try, it'll make your day better.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Mild Strong Full Pleasant

The idea of a high class fisherman being cast upon the jetties of misfortune has been a curse that many have had the displeasure of encountering throughout time. This unfortunately has been the curse befallen upon myself and my crew. My name is Jeremy Waid; extreme angler, writer, adventurer and little known to the rest of the fishing community, an extreme flatulentist. It started with my trip to India to catch the legendary Serang Catfish. Upon landing in the airport I was not happily received by the locals. I began my acquisition on the Serang by interviewing the locals when I had came upon an Indian witchcraft, voodoo, gypsy shaman woman. At fist she tried to sell me her first born granddaughter but I was only interested in fish. My camera man was upset that I turned down this offer, so naturally he took her for himself. He was a bastard and I had always wished that Animals Planet would fire his arse. Besides this point she proceeded to tell me that the Serang was protected by their gibberjabber Hindu myths and that I would never be able to catch it. Fueled with rage and desire to disprove her, that's when it happened. I silently expelled wind so fowl from my nether regions that my crew and the gypsy woman took notice. "Why have you expelled this fowl stench?!" The Gypsy woman said. I immediately turned to her "Whoever smelt it, dealt it, you stupid old hag!"; the crew and I laughed, but the gypsy woman took slight to my false accusation, thus placing a curse on my head that I should forever more be he who dealt it... Soon after this we set out to the river to begin my research. I made sure to fish with only the finest bait known to fishing legends, river pizza. The local Durkadominos had been happy to oblige my journey and provided me with enough to catch enough fish to feed a small village, but at a high price. It didn't matter for the amount of money I made through this television series was enough to cover any expense, including local brothels. Fishing being my number one passion, women were my second. I hold records for monster fish size and also monster man size. People would often look at my face and think that I was a bastard. Who am I to tell them wrong. A few hours into fishing I had no bites, only the sound of starving children and water rippling. I had started to think that the old hag was correct. But I would not give up so easily. Then it happened, another flatulent event that filled the ozone with my putrid stench, must have been the saffron seasoned eggs this morning. With my camera crew nearly passing out, the fish started to jump into the air to make contact with what they thought was food. It was the curse, my flatulence had now become a dangerous weapon, but a weapon that I could use to my advantage. I quickly re-cast my line and hooked a river monster the size of a small car. This was my crowning glory, I had caught the Serang. I had landed the beast and witnessed the ugly mug upon its face, it appeared to look like my brother Jordan Waid. I hated him. I remembered how he would dangle his boy jewels in front of me whenever he would out fish me as children. May his soul rot forever. I made sure that we took as many photographs to not be forgotten. To celebrate I lit my army made Peterson pipe with some Kingfisher tobacco and enjoy the sweet mild aroma mixed with the stench of my hindquarters. So I leave it to the viewer to determine whether I am an extreme angler or now, an extreme farter. You decide. Jeremy Waid, signing off.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (47)

I have been trying to find someone with this blend in stock for over six months. Tinderbox almost sent it to me, then apologized over the phone that it was a glitch on the website. Last week I got an email from Iwan Ries that it was in stock so I had them send me three tins. The shipping was fast but I spent those two days wondering if it was worth the trouble.

Turns out it was. I could probably live a full and relatively happy life if I'm naught able to get anymore, but I'd prefer it if I were able to. I noticed a few reviewers did mention something I thought was weird too, the tin wasn't really sealed, I mean I got the lid off with my bare hands and one of them in a sling at that. Still, the tin presentation was fantastic, that figgy smell of aged Virginias, or of aged Virginias like Hal O the Wynd ( That vinegary ketchup smell of Mc Cleland Virginia always puts me off a bit) Chocaltely krumble kake flakes with flecks of gold, and all still pretty moist. I rubbed out a few flakes and let them dry. My most curious dog kept sniffing at my fingers and licking them (some tobaccos he cowers from like he cowers from Gin or Vodka. It's Va/Pers and Beer for that dog).

I smoked the first bowl in a fairly large Castello Sea Rock billiard, not usually my first choice, but the doc said rest your shoulder, so I had a long movie and only one hand to watch it with. The slightly dried krumble kake burned well and the taste stayed interesting, not complex, but interesting, more like Casablanca than Donnie Darko (sorry, be told to rest for two weeks now, watching a lot of movies) familiar and engaging, but not surprising. I half expected the burly to ruin it for me as I'm not overly fond of burly, I don't hate it, it just reminds me of hot sauce, something used to cover the poorer quality of the ingredients. No, it acted more like a Bass guitar in this trio, underlining the beat, not taking a solo.

This is the Va/Per equivalent of Special Latakia Flake from Germain and though I didn't research as the gentleman before me, if I were wagering on taste and presentation alone I'd say this blend was made by JF Germain. Not to step on any sacred cows here, but I think Special Latakia Flake may be the best latakia flake out there for combining strength and balance. Certainly the best that's hard to get a hold of. Again, not having researched as Sounds7 (who may not be a gentleman after all, I mean that in the objective sense, not as an insult) it is out of sheer optimism that I expect we haven't seen the last of this blend or the other fine blend from germain.

I'll also confess that one of my main motivations originally for hunting Kingfisher down, besides the reviews here and idle curiosity, was the tin art. Even with limited space and forcing myself not to get all pack ratty, it's a tin I'll keep.

The second bowl was smoked in a fairly narrow, tight, and small Tim West Dublin. Burned well, maintained my interest still. I have yet to find a pipe in my rotation that won't smoke this tobacco well. I'm giving it for stars, one star is for the difficulty of the routine; finding it. Although loathe to recommend solely on my tastes alone, I can't imagine anyone who enjoys a Va/per and has a curious palate regretting having this in their cellar or rotation.

This is a tobacco I had to work at to find it's strengths. My first reaction was of a fairly bland blend of mostly burley and the faintest whisper of perique when it felt like showing itself and the virginia not so much tasted as perceived condimentally.

I still believe this is mostly burley and I think a nice nutty smoke is the intent. But the VA is really a nice teaser, and the blend is chameleon-like from bowl to bowl and less so as the individual bowls progress. In fact, this is a tobacco that changes the most from bowl to bowl of any I've smoked. Some bowls tasted like straight burley and some tasted like a solid VaBurPer. I never knew what to expect, and that has a certain excitement to it. No overabundance of perique in this one, to be sure!

Generally, this is a "set it and forget it" blend that has few surprises down the bowl and that might be a little TOO nuanced for a lot of smokers. I don't see myself buying this again, at least not on a regular basis, but I did enjoy my time with it. If you want something different and you like to concentrate on your smoke and really bond with it, this is recommended. Perhaps for the perique newbie.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

I picked this up last year at a cigar store that happens to carry a few tins. It was dusty and discounted. I opened it and assumed the seal was faulty, it was that dry. I thought about rehydrating it or blending it with something or pitching it, but I forgot.

I rediscovered it this week. It smells like very dry tobacco. It looks like very dry tobacco. I have to take care in getting it out of the tin and into the pipe least it turn to dust. Be that as it may, once lit it is magic.

I bought this during a time when I thought I wanted to marry VApers. At the time, I think I thought Kingfisher was a VAper. I am startled by how much better I like this over, say, Escudo. Of course, I am in a period where I think I want to marry burleys. I am in nuptial bliss.

Backing up a little, I find straight VAs dry my throat. Someone here attributed that to its astringent properties. I think that is right. So, from my throat's perspective, adding burley to anything VA improves the chances I will like it. I really like this Kingfisher. Its got VAs, its got perique, but most of all it has cool, nutty, nicotine laden burley. For me, this works!

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

For lovers of va/per blend this may be a bit of disappointment; but only because it's not a standard va/per blend. It's va, burley, and perique blended, pressed into cakes, then sliced. The slices break apart just trying to get them out of the tin, but that's what it's meant to do.

I won't go through all the description of tin appearance and aroma, as that has been done aplenty by other reviewers. However, I think it may be worthwhile to explain how I got this tobacco to become one of my favorite all time smokes after trying it, and being sorely disappointed.

First off, you might want to try a smaller pipe. Take two or three of the slices, and crumble them up as fine as possible, then use the gravity feed method to load your pipe. You may want to insert a pipe cleaner through the draw hole as you massage the tobacco into the pipe. The idea here it to have a very fine mixture packed very tightly into a small space.

I have found that, using the above method, this tobacco is extremely tasty and slow burning. It is one of the most enjoyable tobaccos I have ever encountered.

I have just returned from my pipe club's monthly meeting (7/30/02) where I tried my first-ever bowl of Kingfisher. I do like virginia/burley combinations, but am hesitant about trying blends with perique added.

Having said the above, I actually found Kingfisher to be an absolute knockout. A true bell ringer and it reeked of quality leaf that provided a ton of depth. It is a krumble cake very similar to Penzance in that regard. It looked rich in the tin and had a burley smell more so than anything else. At first light I did get a mild dose of the peppery perique. After several puffs however, the Louisiana product gave way to the subtle pleasures of a well aged and refined burley/Virginia mix. It smoked cool and mostly dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The perique did reappear near the end of the smoke, but not overwhelmingly so. One of the finest blends I've ever smoked and I bet it will age beautifully!

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)

Objective: Nice tin for storing the tobacco. A little bit pricey at my local B&M, $13.00. Flake form which crumbles easily. Packed well, lit well, moderate volume of smoke.

Subjective: I like this blend. The perique is not that prominent, more of a burley blend with the virginia supporting it nicely. A good smoke and a nice change from the heavier Englishes I usually smoke.

brando71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brando71 (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I quote Sound7: "Originally blended by J.F. Germain in UK, then by McClelland in US, then now by Peter Stokkebye in Denmark. I dont know where the person that added this description gets his information but Butera as of 02/27/2011 is still being blended as it always has been in the UK by J.F. Germain. My brand new tins that came from a couple different etailers say made in Jersey, British isles on both the front and back sticker."

Thank you for your correction, friend. I was the person I added, by mistake, these incorrect information about the Kinfisher manufacturer. I was adding these note to the Butera Pelican and then, repeat it was not my intention, I pasted it to the Kingfisher, too. Peace.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A exceptional smoke, although the Perique is a bit suspect to me. It may be green river burley which is processed in the same way. Regardless, a good smoke.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

For me this blend was not one that stood out among the crowd, however I did enjoy it. I only had a small sample, from a baggie, so I can't comment on the tin note, but the flavor was exceptional, stayed consistent throughout the bowl although for me it did not peak at any particular point in the smoke. Again I enjoyed this one, I found that it smoked best in smaller diameter pipes, a good early evening smoke for me with a wee bit of body for that after meal pipe. I especially enjoy blends with some perique for that after dinner smoke, so this one was nice for that, just the right amount of perique, not overwhelming. I would like to smoke this one again as I don't feel like I have smoked enough of it to really be an authority on the blend, however I did enjoy it although I may or may not come back to it, I rather hope that I will.

Hiram Briar 23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hiram Briar 23 (12)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Well, I just finished my last tin of Kingfisher, and Im a little sad to hear it may be discontinued. This is a very decent smoke. A nice dark crumbled flake. Opening the tin at first I was a little apprehensive to smoke it indoors, but the room note is surprisingly tolerable. The perique blend is a little peppery but well balanced. I prefer to smoke smaller amounts at a time as it becomes a little overwhelming in my bigger pipes after a while. Not my favorite by any stretch but a very nice smoke.

Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am totally re-writing my review on this one (2-27-11). At first, I didn't care for this. I felt it was very bland excepting that the Perique took the entire stage. As I am not a big fan of Perique, Kingfisher wasn't my cup of tea. I did like the tin note - very molasses/raisiny. That was a plus. It burned exceptionally well and never produced any moisture nor did it bite - quite a cool smoke actually. Not being a bird fancier, as much as I wanted to like this bird, I could not. I gave it 2 stars, and reluctantly.

Well, I decided to re-visit after many months of it sitting in its tin. It was very dry, and as a crumble cake, well, it was already in a state of crumble. I filled a pipe full and lit up. It wasn't bad, and I managed to snag 3 more tins of it (now out of stock all around). I'm still holding to 2 stars. I wish the wonderful tin note translated into the smoke as Kingfisher is basically a bland smoke with very little flavor. The only thing it has going in the way of flavor is the pepper-like quality from the Perique (which I don't like at all in this blend), and nothing else.

UPDATE 2-27-13: On a whim I just opened a half smoked tin that I got fresh and first opened 2 years ago. The tobacco was bone dry and the kakes were all crumbled. Tin note, although less than when fresh, was still present. It loaded like dry crumbling cereal and if squezzed too hard would turn to dust. This time around it was way better than previous which deserves another star from me. I have two unopened tins that I was going to sell, but now I think I'll hold on to them since I believe it is no longer being produced.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I don't taste anything. Nothing. Smokes like hot dirt.

Actually, to be more forthrightly honest, there were a few puffs where something reminiscent of flavor slipped to my tastebuds, and those hints of flavor were actually kind of nice, but it took some work and those phantasms of flavor were too ephemeral to bring into focus.

Too much work for so little return. Life's too short to continue smoking something in the hopes that I'll be lucky enough to chance upon some toothsome will-o'-the-wisp.

UPDATE 12/30/13: Tried it again a few years later. Nothing new to report.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I just don't get it. The tin aroma was of faint tobacco, the texture is OK, but the flavor was missing. I smoked two tins back to back in a variety of pipes, but........nothing. I even smoked this inside the house while comfortably seated, and searched high and low for the perique, but alas, I could not find it. I thought it tasted rather cigarettish at times. I guess I am spoiled by McClellands 2015. I do like the krumble kake though, but I guess I am missing some crucial tastebud spectrum bandwidth required for this blend. On the upside though, I smoked it with such intensity and concentration that I got a major case of the hiccups, which my wife found ever so amusing. Maybe the perique slipped in unnoticed after all.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)

I love Krumble Kakes! When Mike Butera first presented this blend I was as happy as a pig in slop. This is a balanced blend of burley, virginia and perique. Hardcore VaPer smokers will not necessarily be overjoyed as the burley tones down the perique. The burley also provides a slight nicotine kick. I find this blend smokes best in small bowls. I don't know why it just does. Although I don't smoke it as much as I used to, I always keep a tin on hand.

I don't know why people write reviews of tobacco blends they know they won't like! If you like Virginnia-Burley-Perique Flakes then I highly recommend this one. The Burley is fairly understated the Virg. and Perique dominate. The one negative is there is very little tobacco in this 50 gram tin. Seriously, there couldn't be more than 5 or 6 pipefulls in this tin! I used the gravity fill method with the very lightest tamp after first light. It smoked perfectly.

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)

This is a 7 year old sample. Presentation is very dark, almost black, thick, soft, crumbly flakes.

So now I know what "flavors of stewed fruit" means.... because this has it. Deep, dark, fruity, plumy, figgy, spicy, peppery. Rich and deep in flavor.

It is a bit moist out of the tin, and would probably benefit from some drying time. I smoked it straight out of the tin, and it required a higher than average number of relights, and left a bit of dottle.

Amazingly delicious stuff. Wish I could get more.

Duke Nukum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke Nukum (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have had this on two occasions with very different results.

The first tin I had was sent to me from the US by a very generous gentleman. I bought a pipe specially for it. On opening, the appearance was of flake slices, cross-cut diagonally so the flakes disintegrated into small diamond-shaped fragments that could be easily packed into the pipe. Lighting was difficult due to moisture, and it didn't stay lit. Flavour was subtle but pleasant and it eventually smoked down to next to nothing. It didn't produce large volumes of smoke, rather a slow-burner giving off wisps of pale blue smoke. A pleasant outdoor smoke.

The second tin was purchased from the UK shortly after I finished the first. It was 'laid down' to age and opened after quite some years. On opening, I found that despite the tin vacuum seal being intact, there was a dry, powdery appearance to the flakes. The cut was different too. Instead of cross-cut, this was just 'short' flake (sliced as if across the tin instead of along) that disintegrated into large pieces on handling. It Though they appeared to feel dry, they were hard to light. The flavour was bland and somewhat 'blah' and were almost impossible to keep lit. It was NOT anywhere near the same as the first tin and was a complete disappointment.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bulldog

Age When Smoked: fresh, aged 10 years

Purchased From: Gift, McGahey's

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

This is a very straightforward Virginia Burley mix, with just a bit of Perique to give a slightly figgy thing to it. I'm not too impressed with the overall smoke -- it is a very dry, mildly unflavored experience, much like a high-quality cigarette. The manner in which it delivers a "Burley hit" through the medium of the Virginia is really well-balanced -- no bite and no excessive "mouthy" taste. Opening the tin and then packing this flake into a pipe is the most enjoyable part of the smoke, for me. It's a rather sticky crumbly cake, with a horizontal cut that runs across the direction which most of the cubes of flake I'm familiar with are cut. You can take two flakes -- about 1/2 inch by 3/4 inches apiece -- for a given average-to-large pipe size. I stuck it vertically in a Jirsa canted Dublin and just let the vertical lines of flake crumble themselves into the bowl as I packed it. That much was fun. It's mildly difficult to get to its first light (not unlike most cake tobaccos) but then it pretty much stays lit easily. Well, until the bottom of the bowl. I have a helluva time keeping the bottom bit lit, to the point that the dottle is about twice or three times as much as would be usual. Maybe it's just how I pack it.

I recommend this for an all-day smoke if you like a little bit of Burley and have a high tolerance for "the curse." The figgy Perique aids in delivering that nicotine but the main experience is a straightforward mild Virginia.

rosczich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rosczich (10)

this one is a very uniqur blend. i allways take care to find the right pipe for a tobacco. in most briars this one fades out, but who ever have the chance to smoke this kingfisher in a morta pipe wont believe its the same stuff. i let it crumble dow in a fantastic big prammer morta billiard and am fully satisfied each time. of cause mortas are not easy to find but its worth every penny to buy one. kingfisher and morta makes a real fantastic smoking expriance.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

There's a good amount of Burley here I'm guessing, and the burley seems somewhat similar to the kind of Burley I've found in University Flake...strong, cool but slightly flavorless or "empty", not the nutty kind.

However the VA component is much more pronounced here than in UF, so the overall smoke isn't as powerful and never gets bitter. And of course there's no Perique in UF at all. All in all this a very smooth and delectable Krumble Kake that still has that signature Germain mustines, presumably from the VA. The Perique is at about the level found in Elizabethan Mixture, in my estimation. I do believe I'll have to dedicate a pipe to this to get everything out of the experience.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Cigarettish (bitter and dull), with sour notes. Of very little interest for me, but without extremely unpleasant traits.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Two observations about this tobacco previously noted: As Bobcat13 mentioned, I, too, agree that KF has a very distinct, one-dimensional, cigar-like note about it. This was not unwelcome but it was unexpected. This was prevalent for the first two-thirds of the bowl and pleasurable, especially when sipped. And as Pipestud touched upon, I found that the perique REALLY kicked in towards the bottom one-third of the bowl. But unlike Pipestud?s favorable experience, this hot and spicy perique overload was not pleasant for me. I have experienced this ?bottom-of-the-bowl perique overload? with a few other VA/Per blends. Because of this latter characteristic, I am not enamored with this blend. I will cellar some and revisit it.

I rate this tobacco 6.0 out of 10

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)

A couple of notes - others here have done good jobs describing this blend.

1. I've determined that I do NOT like "krumble kake" as a cut of tobacco. The ashes end up everywhere, it's a mess.

2. This tobacco just tastes bad. The leaf quality is (as all Germain/Esoterica blends) excellent, this has nothing to do with quality. It's a personal thing and I just don't like this blend.

3. I've tried old Kingfisher, new Kingfisher.. big pipes, small pipes.. all with the same results. The tobacco tastes bad, it's not a blend that is for me.

I may be enticed to try this again ONE MORE TIME but I honestly think not. I wanted to like this blend. The quality is good! However, life is too precious short to smoke pipe tobacco that doesn't agree with your tastebuds. It's a preference thing.

I can't think of another blend with the same taste as Kingfisher so no need in attempting to compare it. Good luck!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I have smoked this natural blend periodically since it was introduced into the market several years ago. I have several English and Italian pipes dedicated to it, including a small McArris (originally made for McCranie by Bill Taylor), a smallish Costello (kkk), a medium small Spanu, and a medium Ashton (XXX). Each has several ounces of the blend in the cake. This blend is a masterpiece, but is not for everyone.

This is a Krumble Kake, meaning it is packed in flakes in a tin, but the flakes easily break upon removing them. It is good to break them up a little more than a push down (or stop) of a flake in the bowl. It burns better that way. Don't rub the flakes too much, as the perique will produce a sharper flavor then. Also secure the tin in a wrapper after opening, or else the tobacco will start to dry out within two weeks. If too dry, the blend will smoke somewhat harshly.

Upon first smoking this in the McArris several years ago, it was obvously a natural, seemingly mild, but didn't seem like it had much flavor. The flavor crept in after several more bowlfulls. After a little more experience with it, the perique was definitely there, giving a charming spicy note to a straight tobacco blend. In fact, to me this is one of the first perique blends that you can taste the perique edge without the blend being either harsh or sharpe. Other scented va./perique blends may mask the perique.

I was told by one Texas tobacco proprietor back then that Mike Butera was trying to capture in this blend the tradition, not exact flavor or strength, of the then extinct Escudo. Having tried several tins of the re-introduced Escudo since then, I believe that is a fair statement (the newer Escudo to me is sweeter with more virginias and only slightly spicy with a perique note).

Kingfisher has burley too, so it has more heft but not the sweetness of a straight virginia blend. If you don't react well with burley, this blend may not be for you. Once you get the flavor in your pipe, this blend seems as natural with perique as can be. The perique is not at all overwhelming as C&D's Exclusive mixture can be, but to me the perique flavor comes through in every puff of Kingfisher. Being from Louisiana, I like it. But I admit the overall flavor is not as complex as Pease's Haddo's Delight. It doesn't have to be, especially if aged a wee bit.

To me, it is spicier than Edgeworth flake, stronger than MacBaren's sweeter Navy Flake, competitive with Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky, and just plain different from Peterson's University Flake, all of which have varous degrees of burley in them.

I am smoking a tin of Kingfisher which has aged for several years now (with more in cellar). About the same but, as expected, with more of a perique nose and taste and a little bit more strength. Just slightly fuller overall. I would say a new tin would be more of a medium, so if you like a straight tobacco and want a note of perique there, try a tin of this. It's dry smoking, biteless, and cool. It is spicy, more bitter than sweet, but has a very interesing natural taste. It goes best in a small pipe, especially if aged some. Not all like the indoor aroma.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first experience with "crumble cake" since Bengal Slices, which would not stay lit worth a damn. This one lights well, stays lit well and provides a steady flavor, although the flavor is more Burley than Virginia or Perique. In short, just a bit disappointing. The quality is very high, but it simply lacks enough taste to keep me coming back.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Tin Aroma: The combination of Burley and Perique in this blend combine to form a rather odd smell. It took me some time to be able to pin down anything that this smells like, and the best I can come up with; soured fruit, is a poor attempt. There is a dusky heady scent that is almost impossible to quantify, but is very intriguing.

Physical Characteristics: This is called, on the tin, "double cut krumble kake", and that may just be the best way to describe it, unless you want something more blunt, in which case, "pressed cube cut" would do. Smallish flakes, packed in a 2oz tin, these rub out to a nice cube at the slightest provocation. Once rubbed out, they pack nicely, easily filling a bowl in such a manner as to provide a nice even burn throughout.

Notes: If there is a continium of Burley/Perique blends, Edgeworth Slices is at one end (bright and lively) and this is at the other end (dark and strong). I enjoy both, and would probably enjoy any Burley blend, given half a chance. As with any cube cut blend, the possibility to pack too tightly is greatly enhanced, as is your chance of accidentaly inhaling a small globule of flaming tobacco, but once the avoidance of these two situations is mastered, this is a delightful blend. I find myself smoking this more in the evening than in the morning, as I find it's heavier character more appealing then. This is also a good Autumn blend for those of us living in climates warm enough to make our beloved Latakia uncomfortable to smoke in Summer.

Verdict: A solid additio nto tthe smoking repetoire of any Burley/Perique fan, and one I heartily endorse!