A roll-cake tobacco, spun from rich, matured Virginia and choice Cavendish tobaccos giving Club Blend its medium strength and delightful aroma.

Notes: Introduced in 1955.

BrandMac Baren

Strength
Taste

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)

I really gave Club Blend the "old college try." I smoked it in meers, and briars of various size and quality. Only in a large briar -- and only once -- did this tobacco reveal its glory.

But once is not enough. All the other times, Club Blend bit my tongue ferociously.

This tobacco looks great; nice spun coins of golden Virginia with a cavendish center. Smells nice in the tin, too. So, if you are looking for a visually pleasant, nice smelling tobacco, have at it.

Unfortunately, the smoking experience falls far short of its looks and tin aroma.

I enjoy many MacBaren tobaccos, just not this one.

UPDATE: Other reviewers (including Sasquatch) have recommended smoking MacBaren tobaccos very slowly, and drying it out before firing it up. I did so, and what an improvement! Now I smoke this almost daily.

This is a pretty mild Virginia with a cavendish core. As stated by others, it has a nice room note. In fact, my wife commented on how pleasant it smelled, and said it reminded her of roasted marshmallows. I agree, and it tastes somewhat the same!

I was going to wait to update my earlier review until finishing the entire tin...I'm half-way done now. But I thought it best to correct the record at this time. Maybe I will further update my thoughts after completing the tin.

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)

I got this 4 year old tin with the purchase of an estate pipe.

The tin note is of sweet prunes, and though a bit odd, was not unpleasant.

I found this to be a very smooth smoke, but ultimately unremarkable. It lacks character, and I was hoping for a richer smoke. Given the fact that it is already 4 years old, I doubt that any aging will solve this problem (if any of you were thinking that for a new tin).

There are many better options available, but this blend may appeal to those liking a very mild, gentle smoke.

Pipe Used: Brigham Dublin

Age When Smoked: 4

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Lets begin with the opening of it , it has a similar aroma to the dark twist that I find pleasant . The rolls themselves are nicely sized and are very easy to rub out and fill with as they hold just the right amount of moisture . It is very easy to light and once lit it does not require many re-lights . The smoke is like a dichotomy between sweetness and spiciness which is very nice and it also doesn't burn too hot . I didn't get any bite but different tobaccos bite different people ! The smoke is of a nice strength and I can detect the Cavendish in it which I adore ! The room note gets much appreciation from all around . It really is pleasurable indeed !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This for me is an addictive blend. One of the mildest yet tastiest I've smoked. (Disclaimer: I'm not a cigarette-replacing, nic digging perfervid puffer of strong tobacco.) I like subtlety and nuance. And this one is incredibly nuanced. I rub the curly buggers thoroughly, let them sit overnight, and then light them up. It's complex and unpredictable. That I like. Sometimes it's subtle sometimes more in your face, but still complex and nuanced. A sphinx is what it is. The Sphinx of Copenhaguen. The Bloomy Dane. The Danish Relish. You get the idea. Excellent tobacco leaf irradiated with magic. This is from a two year old tin. I have two other tins dated last year. My mouth doesn't feel any untoward aftertaste whatsoever, just a lingering memory of sedate nirvana. No no no no bite whatsoever. Actually, I find it downright soothing. And I've just had four bowls in a 24-hour period, also known as one day. What a creeper baccy. Wait, wait.. where's it going?? Oh, yes. To the top of my rotation list.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Update. Initially underwhelming, this tobacco has gone to the top of my rotation. Spicey marshmallow yum. It IS best in a fairly large bowl, smoked slow.

Actually, I can't say enough good things about this tobacco. It is a Va/Per in disguise, or something. It compares favorably with Escudo - Mac Baren's patented spicey cavendish mimicing a perique-y flavor. It is just slightly sweetened, so if Escudo is a bit medicinal, or "dry" in finish for you, try a tin of club.

I'm hard pressed to pick between this and Dark Twist. If I was ordering 100 lbs of tobacco, club would probably get the nod. ---------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I like Mac Baren stuff, it turns out. Learning to smoke Mac Baren products allows you to enjoy them tremendously, as well as to enjoy other, more forgiving tobaccos more. Mac Baren tobaccos aren't particularly forgiving, and I feel sorry for people who can't get around hot bowls and tongue bite.

If you do slow down, fiddle with the packing, and get these blends to work for you, then they are just magical. The idea of more flavor, more spice, more latakia, etc just down't apply. You are looking for nuances of marshmallow, honey, plums, rum, or whatever, depending on the blend.

Club is pretty straightforward. A little peppery and fairly light and sweet. Nice on a fall day.

I rub the coins right out and dry it just a bit. Then just smoke it real slow. A big bowl of club leaves me very satisfied, but not wobbly, which means there isn't much nicotine, really, because I am fairly sensitive to it.

So, if you hate Roll Cake and Dark Twist, forget this stuff, but if other Mac B products have been enjoyable for you, then by all means, enjoy the coins and enjoy having people watch you rubbing and fiddling and setting up your pipe, old school.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

If you can taste any difference between this and Dark Twist you've got either a) a scholastic/Talmudic tongue (depending on where you get your talent for minute-infinitesimal-how-many-angels-can-dance-on-the-head-of-a-pin distinctions OR, b) a great imagination.

To my jaded, decadent, illegal-in-Georgia tongue, there is no difference here. It may be simply that "Dark" may seduce some people, whilst making others uncomfortable?who knows? Is the difference in the packaging? A Scandinavian conundrum.

This smolthers pleasantly and sweetly in that quiet Danish way. My problem is that when I see a sliced twist like this, I want THREE NUNS intensity, which this sure ain't got. It also turns a bit stale in the last third of the bowl, as if, instead of fading, it were dying.

Not hateful, but not for me.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (22)

Solid three stars. I don't get the description above saying this has a citrus/fruit flavoring. Mac Barens site only says their typical preparation of their Original Cavendish has a maple sugar casing. That is all. And indeed this is exactly what this blend presents. A typical Va, Burley, Cavendish blend. Smooth with a nice mild depth of flavors. Doesn't evolve too much but is consistent throughout the bowl. I like the small disks of roll cake. Fun to rub out. Sometimes I don't rub them out but just crumble them between the fingertips. Easy. Takes the flame very well and burns slowly. As with all Mac Baren offerings so far, for me gentle sipping is the way to experience them. An all day blend for sure. No frills. Consistent. Toasty and lightly sweet.

I have thoroughly enjoyed both Stockton and Dark Twist Roll Cake and it was only a matter of time before getting to Club Blend. All three of these spun tobaccos are very similar in smoking characteristics and flavor profile. What I like about all of them is the nice "brown sugar-like" taste that each imparts while smoking. No detectible topping like vanilla and the likes, just a nice, sugary sweetness. Couple that simplicity with high quality leaf and you have a very tasty tobacco presence while smoking. If I had to rate these three, I would say that Stockton is the spiciest, Dark Twist the sweetest, and Club Blend in terms of spiciness and sweetness just shadowing the other two in their respective departments. I do not mean to say that Club Blend is a middle of the road blend, but a blend that has the best of both worlds (sweetness and spice) in just the right proportions to make this stand out. I can smoke any of the 3 and be fully satisfied, but if I had to choose only one, it would be Club Blend. By the way, it did not smoke hot nor bite the tongue. There was no palate irritation and it smoked clean and dry to the bowl's end each and every time. Recommended as a good, dependable smoke.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

First things first. The description above identifies this as having a fruit/citrus flavoring. I do not believe that this is accurate. Mac Baren states that all of their spun tobaccos of this style receive only a sugar topping, and that to a small degree. In addition, their website also gives this their lowest rating possible for aromatic flavor. While one may taste citrus, my own experience is that this blend indeed contains only a light sugar casing.

Now to the tobacco. It certainly looks as described, which is as a blend of virginias and cavendish. It is their typical Mac Baren sliced roll cake - long ribbon cut tobacco spin which appear to be pressed into a tube shape, and then sliced into thin discs.

The tin moisture is significant, and the blend itself benefits greatly from significant drying prior to smoking. Most Mac blends can bite if not smoked with respect. This is no exception. When dried to the touch (but not wholly crisp) the bite all but disappears unless smoked fast and furious, and it burns slowly and evenly. The flavor is rich and sweet, and consistent from start to finish. It is not complex, but offers a satisfying mouthful of smoke which is sweet but offers natural virginia flavor. Yummy.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Having revisited the Club Blend after some 15 years, I find myself struggling for an explanation: what took me so long?

It has been noted that most of McBaren's spun tobaccos are somewhat similar, but I must disagree with those who claim they are practically all the same. The tin aroma is similar to, say, Dark Twist or Royal Twist (nowadays called Roll Cake), but in the pipe... ah, in the pipe...

On opening the tin, the aroma is indeed quite similar to the Dark Twist, though a bit darker and less VA-ish. Dark, old-fashioned aromatic tones rule, while bright VA lurks in the background. Optically speaking, there seems to be a relatively large amount of bird's-eyes in the blend. The only flavour added seems to be a bit of sugar to sweeten things a little.

Folding the tobacco into a pipe is a no-brainer, lighting it takes a little patience, but once it burns, it'll keep on burning quietly and coolly until there is nothing left to incinerate. As with all VA blends, keep it cool and you shall enjoy; take care to tamp down regularly and you won't run into trouble. The taste is sweet and full and spicy in a nice way, with a little less push than DT and RT (or Stockton, for that matter). The room note is what I call conservative - an old-times sort of feel that seems to be generally welcome even among non-smokers with notes of leather and caramel, with a hint of wood.

As the tobacco burns down, the sweet and spicy taste builds up, gathering a little hint of caramel and nuttiness. The room note continues largely unchanged. And if you need to take a break for whatever reason, you can relight this blend without having to fear negative repercussions: it just starts up again right where it left off in terms of taste and aroma. Beautiful!

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A nice roll cake, with soft coins that crumble easily (not as compact as, let's say, Escudo).

It's a very typical MacBaren recipe: dark fermented Cavendish is used instead of Perique for spicing up the bright/red Virginias. The result is less spicy and sour than Perique, but interesting nonetheless.

It's a complex, dark, autumnal tobacco with little Virginia sweetness. What dominates the blend is a leathery and woody taste. The dark Cavendish gives a great contribution, resulting in a taste which reminds of a very fermented black tea (without sugar or milk). Something like a classic English Breakfast blend of tea from Kenya or Sri Lanka. Even slightly smoky, at times!

As usual with Danish tobaccos, anyway, the taste is very subtle and requires slow sipping for full appreciation. It's not an intense tobacco, and while body and moutfheel have a good consistency, the flavours are quite subdued. By the way, it feels very natural: MacBaren says that they simply added a little water and sugar, and I believe them. It's not biscuity like some other blends from this brand, not at all.

The coins can be very easily loaded into the pipe, with very little crumbling: little care is required for an excellent burn... simply stack up some coins, press a bit, and fire it away. It burns regularly, neither fast nor slow, with no tongue bite and very few relights. Very consistent in flavour from start to finish (it just gests slightly more intense towards the middle of the bowl).

I would love some more flavour intensity from this tobacco (and this is why it only reaches a "recommended" for me), but it's a good and balanced blend. If you dry it a little bit, anyway, the taste gets more intense.

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am in agreement with some of the other reviewers here, this seems an awful lot like Dark Twist. From presentation to smoke to room note, this appears to be quite similar, and unfortunately just as unsatisfying for me. I like the rolls, they look very pleasing to the eye. Tin note is citrus and earthy at the same time, not like most aromatics, which is a good thing for me. That's where the high notes end for me. I don't like the way it packs and lights. I have tried rubbing it out and folding the coins, as well as stacking them. Tried several different pipes and it is just underwhelming in all of them. I REALLY wanted to enjoy this! Its been around a long time, well respected, and I like most of the MacBaren offerings. Too much tongue bite, not enough satisfying smoke. Sorry, this one is not for me. Oh, and I tried drying it out, smoking it slow, you name it, I really tried to let this one succeed.

Age When Smoked: < 1 month

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (35)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

When I opened the tin, I got the smell of beef jerky. The tobacco looks nice, but you have to rub it out to get in in your pipe. Pack light if you can. The stuff needs a couple of lights to get going and you need to work hard to keep it lit at first. That is where the familiar tongue bite comes in to play in a big way. Again, this stuff bites at first. The smoke is plentiful, but the room aroma is far from delightful. The is a hint of sweetness like that of burning marshmallows. I mean, like just throwing the whole bag on the camp fire. While it is going it bites less and less. The nicotine is pretty good, but I can think of better ways to get vitamin N. The tin is very expensive and I have had much better smokes from stuff that cost a whole lot less. The ash is nice and the bowl does settle down towards the end. The flavor, such as it is, does last to the bottom, but I was ready for it to end. The smell seems to linger on your hands and clothes; this is fine except that it is not a nice smell. It is like you have been too long in front of the charcoal grill. Another BIG disappointment from a high-dollar, legendary company.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)

starts spicy & sweet and you expect it to go on like that but after 15 minutes it's all same till the end. Kind of boring for me but I see how it can be a favorite to some people.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I doubt I would four-star this blend if I tried a recent tinning, but I am smoking some pre 1985 Club Blend right now along with some other vintage roll cakes I picked up recently, and for me at least, they turn into quite a different animal with that kind of age on them; a pleasant, mild sweetness that gives me no problems with "Mac Bite" as do certain Mac Barens when they are new.

Though the differences between the various roll cakes are not all that pronounced at this venerable age, I do like the cavendish element of this one quite a bit, and with most bowls find that the only aged roll cake I might like better is Latakia Blend (though I don't taste any Latakia in it).

Very nice, and my only problem with this or any of the roll cakes at this age is that they tend to burn a bit fast and hot, but I just compensate for this by resting the pipe frequently, and trying to find pipes that work for them the best.

I highly recommend picking up an old tin if you see one, and at least in my experience, Mac Baren in general is a brand that ages quite a bit better than it is given credit for.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Club Blend is slightly sweet and low in “Nicotine”. It has a good hit of spice, reminding me of smoking “bread” with hints of clove and cinnamon spice ( I really don't get the citrus). This is not a bad tobacco but I'm just not happy with the pepper spice hit, I think some would like it. Nice big tin and a good value. Flavor also reminds me of P&C's “Rolando's Own”.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first venture into mac baren spun cut. Sweet and spicy at the same time, not perique spicy, more like fruit bun / cinnamon spicy. Interesting taste, very unique, not exactly my cup of tea, but not unpleasant by a long shot. I like the 100gm tins, seems to last forever, those coins are packed in tight. I found this smokes better in a briar than a cob, makes my mm freehand heat up a little too much. No bite, at all.

Im going to work my way through all the mac barens, this isn't a stand out smoke, but it's still pretty damn good. Maybe buy more, maybe.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

I enjoy the not so in your face taste from CB, and it could be a very well behaved all day kinda thing. I really like the truer tobacco flavor that makes this so agreeable. Although this is one of two spun disk type tobaccos I have tried, I enjoy knowing the histories of the different types and cuts of the tobaccos. So, to sum up: light fruity/spicy taste,lots of tobacco overtones, good room, and shareable with others. Embrace the coin...

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very nice smoke. If you like MB's spun tobacco, Club Blend should be in your rotation. A naturaly sweet taste, citrus (almost mint in a wierd way) cream. More Birdseye in the cake then the others (Dark Twist, Roll Cake, Latakia) I fold 4 or 5 coins after a few minutes of drying, slip it in the bowl, light up and sip. Club Blend is the aristocrat of the spun coin family. Really enjoy it.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)

"I say, Chumley, old boy, what's that you're smoking in your pipe today? Lovely aroma. Three hearts to you."

"Oh this? Why, it's something called 'Club Blend', made by MacBaren's I do believe. Rather nice baccy, actually --mild, fruity. I'd certainly recommend it to you, old chap. Nice bit of a change from the English blends, if you know what I mean. Four clubs, old boy."

( To the waiter...) "Henderson, be a good chap and run us up a couple more of these gin and tonics, will you? There's a good lad. 'Club Blend' you called it there, Chumley? Smells awfully good indeed; must give it a try"

"Yes, do."

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)

Smoking this right now. Its good not the best. The casing is alittle to much very fruit/citrus flavor but nice. Aromatic fans will like it i dont tatse much cavendish cause if pretty bland but its nice good virginia tho. Try it not bad smoke

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tangy, slightly sweet and citric, this mixture is a great combination of lemon Virginias with rich Black Cavendish for a cool smoke with little tongue bite if smoked slowly. This is a great not-Burley everyday smoke.

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (19)

A very nice presentation of medium sized coins (in between flake medallions and thee nuns) with a bright yellow rim and a dark brown core. The tin smells of fresh hay and sweet honey. The coins smoke slowly and very cool, the smoke is on the thin side and teh taste is citrussy with some spice and sweetness from the cavendish. I fin this a typical summer smoke. It lacks some body to be in my top 5 but it's defenitely a high quality blend in a very beautiful presentation.

221B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221B (9)

Well, I had bought this tin about a year ago and decided to let it sit for a year after I opened it and tried it a few times. I think the bowl shape its smoked in has alot to do with this one....the little coin shapes are neat however and last night I just stuffed a few into the bowl and lit them. It really does smell like marshmallows....ode to camping I guess.

I think I should have rubbed them out completely though as it did bite the tongue a bit. That might have more to do with me than the tobacco as the pipe is rather new but its an overall enjoyable tobacco.

The tin smell is so very intriguing.....what is that exactly? Its like a nice mature smoky sweet feed. Not sure what it is.....but very appealing.

Will let it continue to age.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A tiny bit more on the natural tobacco tin aroma and taste, it still contains the same deficiencies as its brother, dark twist.

It lacks taste and strength. it still remains a high quality product despite everything.

But more suited for the beginner than the experienced smoker.

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)

Good scent upon opening the tin, very pleasant

This was my first try of a tobacco in the cake style. Took me a while to get the hang of loading loosly enough. I tried rubbing it out completly and loading and on the next bowl I just stuffed the discs in the bowl. It seems that a mixture of those methods works best for me. It does burn evenly and cooly and leaves very little dottle. I found it better to smoke slowly and keep it cool. I had to tamp it down a little more often than my normal MB Burley. The taste is sweet and full and somewhat spicy. The room note is what I would call old-fashioned - reminded me of my Grandfather although I do not know what he smoked. Slighly caramel taste with woodsy smell. Seemed to get a more "nutty" smell as I went along.

I was interruped several times during my first couple of bowls and found it easy to relight - did not seem to diminish the taste at all. Another good MB and I will most likely keep some of this in my rotation.

flyer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyer (2)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

from the taste and strength not bad. Disappointing that the raw tobacco is not properly stripped and there are many stems inside crumbling out when the tobacco is a bit dry. I think it would be better for the makers reputation if they would strip all these stems out before they roll the raw tobacco.

its not a cheap tobacco but seeing all this stems inside it could be offered at a much cheaper price I guess.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I agree with my esteemed fellow pipe smoker Russell...a wonderful tobacco. I may have to come back and edit, but in my limited experience this is a solid 3 stars and may go higher. It did not disappoint me in any way. My better half came out in the shop and said "wow, I like that a LOT"..so that is a good sign. Lights and burns well. Very good smoke!

strawalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
strawalker (14)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a good mild Cavendish/Virginia blend that is extremely mild and unless well dried is seriously fire retardent. It requires a lot of dry time I would suggest 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours and once sufficiantly dry this is a nice mild smoke that burns well. I've rubbed it and also tried fold and stuff, and I think rubbing works best. Room note was nice-ish very mild. Flavour is sweet, slightly spicy and mild. Recommendation: Not bad, not great, nothing too special, just okay.

Update: 4/10/09 I have changed my recommendation on this blend from somewhat recommended to recommended. I honestly didn't give this tobacco enough of a trial and rubbing and drying is a mistake, once you realize that no further preparation is needed just load your pipe as is, it gives a wonderfull smoke which I will return to again in the near future.

Update: 4/24/09 Man this stuff is good I have to change my recomendation to Highly Recommended and the strength to a solid Medium, it has quite a healthy vitamin N kick to it. just a lovely all-round tobacco.

This is an excellent semi sweet Virginia blends in small spun cake with black Cavendish in the middle, the flavor is absolutely delicious with soft candy and mild honeyed/toasty/woodsy taste and wonderful room note, this is one of the best and the most unique Virginia roll cake out there, excellent for an all day smoke, it is available in bulk.

Great stuff!!

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was one of my first stops on my trip down the Virginia hi-way. I find C.B. to be a good overall blend, just not in my top 10. I have a pound in the cellar to see if it mellows out with age. I find this blend to be sweet, and spicey.....caramel, and pepper. Rubbed out, the pack, light, and burn are good. As with most Mac Baren blends if you go too fast it will scortch your tounge. An enjoyable blend, but not IMHO equal to Mac Baren Mature Virginia....one of my favorites. Rate

mr.blacksmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.blacksmith (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Ive only been pipe smoking for a few years on and off and decided to try this blend. A few months ago after reading some reviews. I first tried it and got the Mac Baren tung bite blues and burned out my second favorite falcon bowl so even though the poor first experience with it I could taste the sweet va shine through. Which encouraged me to give it another go.

Since then I purchased a new bowl and sipped it as slowly as I could. Making it one of my new favorites even though if I get carried away and I get a mild case of tung bite.

CheckeredFlight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CheckeredFlight (8)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

For 2 years now I have enjoyed MacBaren?s Club Blend. I think highly of the MacBaren Blends (except for Black Ambrosia).

Club Blend wins the trophy. I have it straight from MacBaren that their spun cut tobaccos: Club Blend; Roll Cake; and Dark Twist are cased only with sugar with no other casing or flavorings are used. This is to be appreciated!! The aroma carries the burning sugars as does the taste, that being the wonderful waft-ness of toasted marshmallow.

The small cakes are easy to rub out, but packing them in a variety of ways can help to create distinct differences through the bowl. When the smoke reaches the dark center Cavendish, the signature of a peppery spice comes through to entice just momentarily. I?ve recently sampled Dark Twist which in my opinion is a lighter smoke than Club Blend. Seems from the tin I have, the Dark Twist does not have as much Cavendish, hence, less peppery. I noticed that Club Blend seems to have a tad bit more sugar than Dark Twist too. I?ll offer a review of Dark Twist soon.

But for Club Blend, I recommend it. Indubitably! Three cheers for Club Blend, Hip Hip?.. You know the rest.

garyh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garyh (3)

Finished a sample of Club that I received with other purchases and must say that I was pleasantly surprised. No tongue bite if smoked slowly, something that has been a problem for me with some MacBaren blends. Mild Virginia tobacco that has hints of a spicy sweetness. Somewhere someone mentioned perique and then honey as a casing, not sure but could be. Mild flavor, strength, aroma and room note made this a hit with me. i am going to be purchasing some more.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

There's something about this tobacco that I can't quite put my finger on; a casing or flavoring, or something. It's just out of range of my taste buds, but fortunately the tobacco taste comes through very well.

The little coins are actually kind of ugly to my eye. They break up very easily, making for filling your pipe a simple operation. I found I was able to just stuff them in, and they broke up on their own as I did this. Lighting was easy, but in a medium size bowl relights were a little more frequent than I would normally like. This will probably be rectified by figuring out the right method of filling with this particular tobacco, so I won't really hold that against it.

The flavor was really very, very good. Pure tobacco, with just a ghost of something added that complimented the tobacco. The flavor was a little like MacBaren Navy Flake, but with a slightly richer note, and less spice. And I experienced no tongue bite whatsoever with this blend. The flavor was best at the top of the bowl, with a little fading out a bit toward the bottom, but it did retain its full tobacco body throughout.

All in all, I would say that this is a very good choice for an all day smoke. It's not as heavy in body and aroma as Orlik's Dark Kentucky, so should appeal to those wishing lighter fare. Club Blend will probably not replace any of the tobaccos I currently keep in my rotation, but I can honestly say that it will more than make do as a replacement should any of my favored blends become temporarily (or permanently) unavailable.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)

This is very similar to Mac Baren Roll Cake, in that it is a sliced roll cake with a center of black cavendish. The Club Blend uses a lighter, gold Virginia. There may be a hint of Perique ('specially spiced'). For this type of blend, I much prefer their Dark Twist, which has an dark brown Virginia. But this is a good tobacco, just depends how you like your Virginias.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

This blend, as for Roll Cake itself, are all the same tobaccos, expect for minor differences. The rolls are cool,it's really different, the quality excellent, but they loose their flavor and taste way too quickly. Within a week, all taste is gone.

Good tobaccos for the beginner that wants something a bit stronger, without a doubt but any experienced smoker that hasn't "flirted" with MacBaren - if any- should stay away from the roll cakes.

LANCER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LANCER (7)

Club Blend has a very good Virginia. On the first light you can smell and taste the sweetness Virginia coming out of the pipe. The cavendish comes out now and then that gives this blend a perfect note. I suggest not to rub all of the tobacco you need in the pipe, only the first and the last. If done so, you will need only two lights and have a perfect smoke. Small puffs will be needed for this blend. If you rub all of the tobacco in the pipe or if you are a fast smoker, it'll flame your tongue like all MB's. Recommended for all Virginia lovers A perfect all day blend for me.

erz316 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erz316 (7)

I couldn't get a distinct taste out of this blend, mainly because my tongue felt like it had blisters on it. the aroma from the smoke was very pleasant and mild. Definitely a case of the MB bite.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice tobacco,if you use caution. To me it has a honey,sugar and pepper in the background aroma. But be warned it will bite the old tongue if puffed very fast. I smoke this in a tall narrow pipe, and I just stuff the coins in the bowl. Keep plenty of pipe cleaners handy. I dont smoke this often, but when I do it is a nice change of pace.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)

Let me begin by saying that this has become one of my favorite blends over the past few years or so. I had shied away from MacBaren products when I started pipe smoking because of a dreadful throat and tongue excoriating experience early on with Virginia No. 1 before I understood how to smoke such tobaccos. I was a self-affirmed aromatic and drugstore burley smoker back then, and couldn't dream of what all of the fuss was about with all of these "fancy" tinned tobaccos. I had never paid too much attention to the tins of MacBarens at the local tobacco shop until one day I spied the red/orange can of club blend, read the description and impulse purchased. Soon afterwards I was hooked, and favorably impressed enough to sample most of the remaining macbaren tobaccos most of which I can admit that I enjoyed enough to send be searching further into the world of fine tobaccos. So, in a sense, I would say that MacBarens tobaccos paved the way for me to acsend into the world of good smokin'. Now, the thought of smoking something out of a sticky jar sends shivers down my spine. Club Blend is nicely packaged, somewhat moist on opening but stabilizing to a perfect consistency by the time the quater-smoked point is reached. I enjoy the juxtaposition of the bright virginia grassy dryness with the sweetness of the black cavendish. I can't detect any top-dressing but the cavendish is flavored with something that I can't seem to put my finger on. Some people have remarked that Dark Twist is the same thing as Club Blend, but I beg to differ. Dark Twist is another one of my favorites, but it is certainly darker and more somber and overtly sweet in both flavor and tin odor and has not the wonderful "bilayer" of taste that club blend puts forth. The bright virginia lays down a base, and then the black cavendish peeks out with it's velvety sweetness through the nose and palate. I like to stack pack the coins and then rub out one or two on top and I find that packed this way affords me about 45 minutes of constant smoking, usually without relights. For some reason, I have not been a victim of the dreaded "MacBaren Bite" with any of their roll cut blends like some reviewers have. It burns cleanly to a white ash and I have never heard a gurgle out of any of my pipes when smoking it.The room note is very virginia, less offensive to my better half than some of the blends I have endeavored to smoke indoors. I usually smoke at least one bowl of this per day, and I find that it makes for a nice "afternoon, after work, before dinner" smoke during that hour or two during which I like to have a hot cup of strong tea and read my mail or "weekend puttering around the garden or working on the boat" in a big billiard where the freshness of the breeze complements nicely the freshness of the bright Va. I save the evenings, though, for darker pleasures...

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Luckily, I didn't find this to be the flamethrower that others reported. But I was warned and took a very wary approach.

The cavendish wasn't over the top, and the Va was pleasant enough.

I rubbed it out completely and let it dry for a good while. Even as dry as it was, it did seem to try to get a bit steamy from time to time.

Go slow, keep the pipecleaners handy and you should be OK. Or better yet, smoke something else that doesn't require so much attention. If you do try this one, I suggest a well broken-in pipe for it.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This reminds me of Dark Twist only with cavendish in every slice. If sipped slowly this a very slow and cool burning rewarding smoke in flavor and aroma. Be forwarned though, absent minded puffing will result in a cooked tounge.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

One of the best of MacBarens' Blends. My recommendation is don't rub it out, just fold and stuff it in a cheap filter pipe (Dr.Grabow) and go slowly. You will be rewarded with a rich and long lasting smoke. Requires some attention and not for mindless puffing, it will bite!

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

EXACTLY the same as Dark Twist, except that every slice in the tin has Cavendish in it. Oh yes I forgot.. This little baby is hot as Beelzebub himself! It's impossible to smoke cool, no matter how cautious you are on the puffing. Ageing does not help - I tried stashing a tin for 5 years - no difference at all..

Otherwise, the same taste as Dark Twist (barely detectable notes of Samson Halfzware and burnt toffee)

Why smoke this when you can spare your palate with Dark Twist??

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Fair roll cake tobacco. Tastes like sweetned Burley with Dark stoved Virginia. It does bite hard.Smells good in the room.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I don't really have anything BAD to say about this tobacco. The coins are very attractive looking and the smell in the tin is pleasantly sweet. Typical high moisture content out of the that I've come to expect from Mac Baren, as well as the tendency to bite and over heat during smoking. I recommend stacking or stuffing the coins into the bowl rather that rubbing them, this seems to reduce the heat as well as the bite. This tobacco tastes very pleasant, slightly sweet though I don't necessarily detect any casing, just a virginia cavendish mixture. I did enjoy this and it was very pleasant for the hot summer months. I may purchase more in the future however, this type of mild, dutch, sweet virginia cavendish mix. isn't really my "thing", it just doesn't keep my interest.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The only thing I can really add, this is an exquisit Virgina Blend that gets better as you smoke the bowl of tobacco to the bottom.

If you are a connoisseur of the Virginia Blended Tobaccos, this is a must try blend.

I smoked the Club Blend in a Stokkebye Pipe, I did not notice any tongue bite, although, as with any Virginia Blend tobaccos, one must take their time to enjoy the taste while smoking this blend slow and easy.

Vitous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vitous (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

First tobacco in my first pipe (it was thirty years ago or so). Taste was pleasant as I remember and now, it is the same. It was the same through the years. Club is the Mac Baren's best blend I guess, fully recommended.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)

You can compare this one to Dark Twist, but a bit milder. It's a sweet virginia roll cake that smokes like a quality virginia should. It's got a bit of an aroma that's pleasant, and doesn't interfere too much with the taste, which is a good thing. Nutty, sweet flavors come from this blend. If you like virginias that have been mellowed out, then you'll really enjoy this blend. I can't explain this blend to a newbie. If you've had experience with VA's, then you'll certainly know what I'm talking about when you try this blend.

This scores an 89 out of 100 for me. :)

TnT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnT (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Club Blend is one of my favorite MacBaren blends. It is a nicely prepared and packaged mixture of virginia and cavendish tobaccos, curly cut into quarter sized discs. Most of these tobacco coins have a dark cavendish center, surrounded by golden virginia, and contain a fair number of bird's-eye pieces. I find it to be slightly too moist straight from the tin. Air drying a pipe's worth of discs on a paper towel for about an hour is well worth the wait, but don't overdry it because then the discs tend to fall apart and burn hot. As with most virginias, over puffing makes this blend bite and produces a wet smoke as well. A slow burn rewards the smoker with a smooth sweet taste - nothing real complex, but still very enjoyable. Relights are few, but if necessary this tobacco handles interrupted smoking quite well. A nice break from the virginia flakes that I usually smoke, but a little too prone to wettness to be one of my regulars.

smokestack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokestack (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Club Blend is a delicious treat for Virginia fans. It has a fairly narrow dynamic range but is never tedious. The roll cake cut is easier to deal with than flake cut. The little disks rub out readily and you control how fragmented it is. I suggest you want the first couple of disks pretty coarse, the next couple a little more completely broken up and the last one or two thoroughly rubbed out. This treatment ensures that your pipe will be easy to light and keep lit.

If you smoke slowly, Club Blend has a sweet disposition. No Virginia is going to be bite free if you rush. Virginia tobaccos have a natural tanginess. The usual Virginia/perique blends are tangier. By comparison, this blend (Virginia/cavendish) is very smooth and mellow. There is a nice natural sweetness to this tobacco and it may get some artificial help, but if so it is very subtley done.

Non-smokers will likely find this unoticeable or will comment favourably on it.

When Canadians are considering the price of Club Blend they should bear in mind that it comes in 100g tins.

I like this tobacco and will keep it in stock.

Club Blend has a fine taste. Not too much flavoring and does taste mostly like tobacco. The roll cake style makes it a bit of a hassle to rub out and pack, but you will be rewarded by a cool, dry smoke. I say cool, but that is because you must puff slowly for it to remain that way.

I tried this blend in a variety of pipes, and I think it smokes best completely rubbed out in a group 4 size pipe. Keep the burn slow or you may find this blend to nip the tongue. Nothing serious, but you will feel the flame.

I will probably smoke this again someday, but will not rush out to my nearest tobacco shop to purchase a tin.

rjm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rjm (10)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As the previous reviewer noted, this is comes in a roll cake form and is very similar in appearance to Three Nuns. Directly from the tin, this tobacco is very moist and will bite ferociously! If you leave it open for a couple of weeks, however, you are in for a real treat. This blend is heavy on the Virginias and has a wonderful full flavor. There is a very slight sugar topping, but it sits very much in the background and only serves to enhance the earthy flavors of the Virginias. I highly recommend this to all Virginia smokers.

Dizzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dizzy (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Club Blend is one of my favorite blends. It has a tasty sweetness that varies in intensity throughout the smoke. It is a roll-cake, so it comes in little coins that can be either rubbed out before packing or stacked--I rub them out because I get a more even burn this way. It is just a little moister than I like to smoke my tobacco, so I usually pack the bowl and let the ready-to-go pipe sit out for a day before lighting up. The first third of the bowl is delightfully sweet, if it stayed this sugary I probably wouldn't smoke it as regularly, but a woodsiness starts to dominate, but not obscure, the sweetness for much of the rest of the bowl; by the last third, the sweetness again comes to dominate. I would describe this as a hefty-medium-bodied smoke, but certainly not full-bodied. It's taste and aroma are, as the description states, "delicious," almost dessert-like, but subtle enough to be an everyday smoke. For the Cavendish lover, this is a great blend; for those of us less intense about our enjoyment of Cavendish, this is a blend that, in my opinion, is balanced well to provide a mildly sweet and very pleasant smoke.