Manufactured from matured Virginia tobaccos and golden brown, cask mellowed Burley tobaccos to which a specially roasted Cavendish has been added. Cherry Ambrosia with its well balanced flavour gives a light and pleasant smoke.

Notes: Introduced in 1991.

BrandMac Baren

2.1
PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (34)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The fine review by strongirish inspired me to have another go at Mac Baren Cherry Ambrosia. I'm glad I did.

My initial attempt years ago left me unsatisfied. The tobacco seemed a bit too mild. It simply failed to deliver. Nothing objectionable about the blend, mind you. I just lost the will to puff.

So recently I cracked open a fresh tin and gave it more serious consideration. The first sniff turned me off a bit: a fairly potent scent of cherry liquer. But the variety and cut of tobaccos were first rate, so I tempered my criticism.

Though the blend continued to make a mild impression for the first half of the bowl, I caught a chance whiff of the sidestream smoke and it might just have been one of the most attractive scents I've ever encountered in a pipe tobacco. Very woodsy and creamy with a deep satifsying fragrance. Absolutely outstanding.

Lo and behold, half the tin was smoked up in just a few days. Like with many Mac Baren blends, one's enjoyment increases steadily over time. The Cherry Ambrosia has turned out to be a slow-burning, cool, and satisfying smoke. So enjoyable in fact that I started filling my pipe with it as a reflex action.

After a dozen or so bowls it did leave behind a cherry scent in the pipe after cooling off. There was no lingering ghost however. I subsequently loaded up a bowl of the mild, neutral flavoured Mac Baren Mixture and was unable to taste or smell any cherry at all. And the cooled-off pipe was back to its old self: no lingering aromatic traces.

I no longer see any downside to Cherry Ambrosia. Though mild and boring at first, it is now a valued companion.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 315 EX

Purchased From: online vendor

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream Loose Cut.

Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

First let me state I love Macbaron tobaccos and I do not find them to burn hot or bite my tongue. I also am not really fond of cherry blends in general though I do smoke them now and then. Rarely do I find a tobacco I don't enjoy one way or another. I also call them as I see them and often I am not in agreement with the other reviewers.

Not liking cherry blends in general, I was quite surprised with this one but I also find MacBaren does a good job with their aromatics. If I were stranded on a desert island and this was the only tobacco available to me, I would survive on it just fine. It is not overly preserved and though you can taste the flavoring, you can also taste the tobacco. Much like their Vanilla Cream, they still realize we smoke to enjoy tobacco flavor and do not ram the flavor down our throats. The flavoring here also is very enjoyable and not soapy in taste like a lot of cherry blends are. Of course if you don't like aromatics, you will find this one too flavored, but for those of us with an open mind and enjoy a GOOD aromatic, this one will appeal to you. Would it be my regular......no. Will I smoke it all the time....no, but will I keep it on hand to enjoy now and then when I have a sweet tooth......yes.

It comes in an attractive tin, in my case 100 grams, and upon opening, the aroma is very much like cherries and rum. It is very moist but not too much to smoke. I tried it right out of the tin and after drying to different degrees. I enjoyed it at each stage. It does require some relights though if you smoke it right out of the tin. Like most aromatics, because of the moisture it will have some moisture settle at the bottom of the bowl and some dottle. But I was able to smoke mine all the way down to ash with several relights and smoking it as dry as I can. It has a medium gray ash all the way down and the room note is incredible. It is a mixture of colors from light to very dark and is in a rough cut with some not rubbed out. Of course the flavor is of cherries and rum as that is what it is, but I also enjoyed the taste of burley tobacco with now and then the Cavendish.

Over a period of time I smoked the whole tin and wanted and ordered more. Made a great after dinner blend. For the open minded I would surely recommend trying it. If you don't like aromatics, stay away as you will never enjoy one no matter which one. Despite what the other reviewers say, I like this one and I have never smoked a better cherry blend than this.

Pipe Used: briar, cog, meer

Age When Smoked: under one year

Purchased From: Pipesand cigars.com

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)

It's ok, no more than that. It does burn hot, even for me who tends to smoke very slowly. Someone who smokes quick is likely to burn his pipe out. It smells devine in the pouch, reminiscent of a bowl of ripe cherries. But that's it. There really is no cherry 'flavour'. It does not burn well down to the bottom of the bowl either, it turns into a wet, gooey mess with an unplesant taste. If you really want to try a cherry flavoured aromatic, go for it.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (26)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I'd like to give a bit of background info before I go into the review. I know from personal experience and from reading the forums that aromatics are tricky to smoke and require some preparation prior to lighting. With that in mind, I opened my tin of Cherry Ambrosia, stored about 3/4 of it in a mason jar, and left the rest to dry in the tin, lightly closed, for over a week. On the day I smoked it, I packed some from the tin into the pipe, a Canadian with a tall bowl, for about an hour. When I lit it, I made sure to get a good, deep charring light and a fairly firm tamp. Now to the experience. I've smoked two other "cherry" blends before. They were horrible, exhibiting all the qualities which give aromatics their bad rep. This was nothing like that. The taste of cherry is very faint, but there's something else, a certain smokiness which gives one the impression of a cherry-scented candle. That's how I can best describe it. Some might find that scent too chemical or medicinal in nature. I don't disagree. But that aspect is not over the top and it didn't detract from the experience for me. About the burn characteristics. I smoked this without rubbing out, using fequent puffs, clenched in my teeth, outside on a warm day. There was some faint gurgling, and the pipe was only slightly hot, but there was only the tiniest bite. I only had to relight at the last quarter of the bowl. Medium amount of smoke, white ash in the bowl and little dottle. No bad aftertaste. Consider the factors: pipe used, length of drying time, packing method used, lighting method, clenched/handheld, tamping frequency and cleanliness of the pipe. A variance in one of these factors can ruin the experience. I'm in the minority here, but this is a quality aromatic and you get a lot for the price, so I recommend it. I can't give it 4 stars because it's not a daily smoke. Still, I'll take a quality aromatic over a cheap VaPer any day. Thanks, MacBaren.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm very happy and impressed with this blend. I cellared the tin for a year before I cracked it open 07/01/11. Initially, the casing/flavor was insane and some will find overpowering. It smelled like it was steeped in cherry liquor. Reeked of cherry. The cherry was so pungent and strong "ghosting" the bowl was an issue until the blend aired out after quite a few bowls. The next thing that was obvious, and impressive, was the quality of the tobacco: dark cavendish, burley, and light virginias. Nice chunks of flake in the already rubbed out mix. Seriously, I could have sorted out the chunks and had a small of tin of my own "Cherry Ambrosia flake." Tongue bite was never a problem. Really nice quality tobacco.

What was fun and enjoyable was how this blend changed over time. I'm finishing the tin off now six months after opening it and the smoking experience is very different from when I started. I smoke aromatics intermittantly and cherry ones less so, so my tin of CA has lasted awhile. At the start it was like smoking cherry candy tobacco. Right now, it is especially nice because the strength and quality of the virginias are really predominant with a nice flavor of cherry. Great roomnote from when I cracked it in July on a porch in Vermont, to when I'm smoking it now in my den on a chilly night in Boston. A great aromatic for virginia lovers after the casing has had a while to air out.

Great quality tobacco. Great value with the 100g tin. CA was an evolviing smoking experince as it morphed from an aromatic with some tobacco in it, to a mellow and strong virginia smoke with cherry flavor. I won't be smoking a cherry aromatic very frequently but I will buy this blend again.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've started to search for a decent cherry aromatic; this was my second try  the first was Mayflower, which I found to be very unpleasant. This offering by MacBaren's is better: at the very least I could draw some pleasure out of it. Nevertheless, I was left with the impression that the toppings were synthetic and the tobacco a bit sub-par. I'll return to it only in case of need, when I feel the urge to taste this kind of aromatic and nothing better of its genre is available in the store.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Cherry Ambrosia is a "second string" player as far as my opinion of Mac Baren blends goes. I've smoked many a tin of this, but never found it overly satisfying. Nice tin aroma, but no detectable cherry smell or taste for me while smoking. Needs to be dried sufficiently as it will smoke hot. I'm not talking about bite, but about the briar bowl at times becoming uncomfortably hot to hold. I wouldn't exactly say it was "bitey", but there was that ever-present peppery sting at my lips - and not in a good way such as a blend with a bit of Perique would do. Perhaps I was smoking it a tad too fast to compensate for the lack of zest it presented. No problems with packing or moisture, but the lack of taste and flavor coupled with that peppery annoyance was, for me, too much of a distraction for an enjoyable smoke. I can't say I will be re-visiting Cherry Ambrosia any time soon as I've grown tired of it. A shame too, since it had a very nice cherry smell in the tin. I give it 2 stars out of 4.

thewoodlandgardener Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thewoodlandgardener (6)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Despite the aroma upon opening the pouch, I did not taste or savour cherry, as the name might imply. (A very, very mild aroma is detectible during smoking.) Neither though, do I believe that effusive melodrama is warranted.

Perhaps it is due to very slow and relaxed smoking habits on my part, but I did not find that this tobacco 'burned hot'. (Although, for me, I have not found any tobacco that "burns hot", believing that any fault there, lies with the person smoking.)

It may be that taste is too subjective and individual a gauge, but I can see no need for the vitriol that has been hurled at this particular tobacco. It is a tobacco that does not truly live up to its (cherry) name ... simply, mild; with little flavour; and unremarkable.

youtube.com/MrPLivingstone/

rlaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rlaw (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Oh how the labels lie - they can make them sound so good.

Smells great in the tin but beyong that not much else to brag about. Did not taste cherry, I did taste a little straw/hay however. Burns hot!

erz316 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erz316 (7)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I did not taste or smell any cherry in this blend while smoking it. The only time i tasted cherry was after i was done smoking, when a faint taste of burnt dried cherries lingered in my mouth. The tin aroma was wonderful however it smokes hot as an iron forge and bites like a rabid dog.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium Tolerable

I tried smoking this blend slowly, to avoid the Mac burn. Did not help. The overwhelming cherry made me want to throw this blend and my beloved pipe across the room.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, H.I.S Egg Bent

Purchased From: Local Shop (J & R Fielding Co.)

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Cheap, overly cased, tongue biting nightmare. Not fit for smoking. Chemical flavor covers up the bland tobacco. Just not a good blend. Too sweet and to heavily cased with bitter chemicals.

riddlefiddle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riddlefiddle (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I bought a tin of this stuff because the McLintock black cherry was out of stock. The tin note upon opening smelled like chocolate covered cherries. That is the only good thing about this tobacco. The tobacco was very moist and I had to relight the pipe numerous times because it was so moist. I let it dry a while and it smoked better the second time around. The taste was horrid. No cherry or rum taste could be detected. Just blah. The room note was not that great either. I will have to wait for the black cherry to be restocked and try that.

Update. OK I guess I will give this blend two stars now. I let it set awhile and tried it again.the taste was better. I could taste some cherry and rum. I just had to find it I guess.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

It's been awhile since I've tried this, but I want to clean it from my to-do slate. It's a decent cherry, smells nice and looks like some good tobacco. The cherry isn't overpowering. I've tried two cherry type tobaccos. This one of MacBaren's and another bulk version. The bulk version gummed up a pipe with horrible ghosting I had to get rid of it. The MacBaren cherry didn't tend to do it, but maybe for 2 bowls later. It won't be in my rotation, it's decent, but I'm not a cherry flavored piper and haven't had it for a year or so now. I remember it not biting, smoking smoothly, but just not for me.

This is the best cherry blend I know to date, the sweet Virginia and the strong jamaican rum are the main players here, while the cherry aroma takes the back sit. the flavor is sweet and delightful, however this blend requires an experienced pipe smoker more than any other MB blend, An Extremely slow smoking pace with small puffs is required to enjoy this fine blend.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

this is a tobacco that require extra awareness in regards to smoking it slowly to enjoy better taste and save your tongue from the eternal fire pit that it might fall into. the cheery sweetness is defiantly there and it overcome the tobacco throughout most of the bowl. the room note is perfect. social tobacco it is but first you have to be a lover of sweet tobacco and a slow puffer only in that case i can recommend it.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)

First off, I'm not the biggest fan of fruit flavoured tobaccos. This tobacco was just Meh. Not great, not bad. It's actually been a while since I've smoked this, so maybe I will give it a whirl again, but there's really nothing that's drawing me back other than curiosity to see if my tastes have changed.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I have now smoked several Mac Baren offerings and will not review them any further since they are extremely not to my liking. If interested in my thoughts about their line of tobaccos then just see my review on Burley London, it pretty much sums up this vapid weed give or take a slight aromatic difference (vanilla, cherry etc...).

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)

My tobacconist told me this was the best cherry out there (and he has a great selection). I was thoroughly disappointed. This is the first Mac Baren product I have tried, and found it to have no flavor, and only a bit of aroma. I think the worst part is that it is in a 100g tin which will take me some time to get through. I blended it with some cavendish which made it a bit more palatable for me. The tobacco was dry enough, stayed lit and burned well. I found it dry on the tongue. Friends and wife says it smells great, but it don't notice anything special about the aroma.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (43)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I gave this blend a go a while back. It's a very tastey blend that goes great with a glass of Red Stag, especially on a warm summer evening. The only thing I would mention bad about it is the "ready rub" Burley in it should be rubbed out further. At first I just left the ready rub as was and when I smoked down to it the cherry and rum flavour faded rather quickly. After rubbing the Burley out a little myself the second time it retained the flavour much more consistantly. Other than that though this was a good cherry blend by MacB. No tongue bite at all and the flavour was quite good. I'd recommend this if you're hunting for a cherry blend.

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin note I get from this is very nice. You can smell the cherry straight away mixing in nicely with the different tobaccos. Upon lighting, there was a little flavour of cherry but this didn't carry through to the smoke very well in my opinion. I could taste some notes from the burley and virginia but nothing to pronounced. I don't think burley was a good choice to add to this blend as it over-powered some of the more subtle flavours. There was a point about a quarter of a way down the bowl where I really did enjoy it, but about half way down the bowl the dreaded mac bite started to kick in, after that I slowley lost interest. All in all, I think I can see why some avid aromatic smokers would like this, but it left me feeling somewhat indifferent.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This was my first foray into cherry blends; I avoided them for some time in the past. In the future I will continue to do so. The mild alcohol notes were only present for the first bowl; angel's share, perhaps?

HobbyPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobbyPipes (3)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I purchased this tobacco on a hunch, This tobacco has gotten several bad reviews. I just wanted to try for myself. The first taste that I got was the taste of a light cigar. After it burned half way down, I then tasted light sweetness. Then to the bottom the cigar flavor again. I did not get the taste of the cherry, like most people didn't. My wife said the room note was fruity, and is tolerable. I have smoked a lot of tobaccos, but this has a little high nicotine content, in my opinion. This could be a good tobacco for the evenings with a good coffee, something to wind down with after a long day.

It did have a hot burn for a bit, but no tongue bite, which was surprising.

I would recommend this tobacco for the experienced smoker, This is not for a novice smoker that is trying to find that special tobacco.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

The tin aroma of this mixture of ribbon and broken flake is cherry, though not obtrusively so, along with a vaguely alcoholic scent.

This is combination of virginia cavendish (both bright and black) along with light burley cavendish. The mix tilts to the clean sweetness of the virginias, and further tilts to sweetness, in general. This is an exceptionally sweet blend. Thoughtfully conceived, the flavorings are well-integrated into the whole.

Exceptional for those who like sweet leaf, Cherry Ambrosia is a delightful blend in which the whole is greater than the parts. This will ghost a briar and went well in a chamber of any gauge.

TheWanderingRecluse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWanderingRecluse (4)

This makes an excellent choice for those fond of cherry aromatics. While many have mentioned Mac Baren's "notorious bite" - I've found this a much more suitable alternative to either Tinderbox's "Anniversary Blend" (a cherry aromatic) or the Captain Black Cherry that many new pipe smokers seem to gravitate toward (out of convenience I can only assume).

When properly dried a bit (though I enjoyed it rather wet as well), it makes for a pleasant and tasty smoke if one is fond of aromatics. Again, an excellent "first choice" for new pipe smokers.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

What's the deal with cherry blends anyway? Because every manunufacturer/blender seems to have its own take on 'les cerises', one would conclude that there must be a large number of guys who like walking around smelling like a cherry tart in the oven. (Why not a cinnamon bun?)

But, hey, I bought a tin of this stuff didn't I? And....I've had better cherry blends, that's for sure. I just happen to believe, as a long-time pipe smoker, that n order to get a really good cherry blend, you need to have an American blender using American tobaccos and casing techniques. Non-American manufacturers do not do cherry blends well, and this one is no exception.

Good fruity cherry smell upon opening the tin, but there it ends; does not translate either to taste or to room note. Stays lit pretty well and I found no tongue bite with Cherry Ambrosia as long as you puff it gently. If you smoke it too hot and fast, you'll get an awful odor and taste.

Seriously, you really want cherry? Try J. M. Boswell & Sons' "Cherry Smash" or "Bear Blend". Also try Pipeworks & Wilkie's "Cherry Cavendish." NOW you're talking cherry, my friend.

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

This is the third time I have edited my review of this tobacco. I find it very unsatisfying. You pick up the cherry casing upon smoking, but the finish is horrible. I would not suggest this tobacco to anyone. Im tempted to throw out my entire tin. I want to say, I do enjoy most aromatics and Mac Baren blends, but not this one.

Kovacs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kovacs (5)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

EDIT Okay, I've been very harsh when reviewing this blend. I've tried it a couple of months later and it dried a bit, but still, it had to be aired for half an hour. If you light it when it contains the proper ammount of moisture, it burns dry, but doesn't bite you, and you get a nice cherry taste. But honestly, i've smoked it in a pipe from which I smoked cherry blends earlier. I give it three stars, but be prepared, that in contrast of the nice smoking experience, it leaves a disgusting aftertaste and smell in your mouth.

SmokeyD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeyD (4)

I took somewhat of a risk when I purchased a pouch of this. What with all the bad reviews here. I was at the local hypermart when I felt like picking up some OTC tobacco to change things up. After smoking VaPers and English Blends with the occasional aromatic Vanilla, I had the sudden urge to try out something with Cherry in it. MacB never bit me before so I decided to risk it on a pouch.

Reading the back of the pouch... Black Virginia Cavendish, Virginia & Burley with Jamaican Rum and Cherry. Doesn't sound too bad.

Opening the pouch, the note is of Cherries and sweet rum. Yummy. The tobacco was not overly moist and I did not wait for it to dry before packing a Cob. The light was easy. No fuss.

Initial impression was... "this is very light. I cannot taste much tobacco or cherry or rum." As such, I decided to murder some weeds in the garden whilst puffing on the cob. Halfway through the impromptu gardening, the smoke started getting my attention. The taste of cherry and tobacco is now stronger. I started to focus on the smoke now. Musky, sweet, tangy and a medium Virginia taste. Not bad at all! No bite (McB has always been kind to me) and no relights.

All in a nice aromatic smoke that gets tastier halfway down. A solid 3 stars from me.

If you are a lover of Cherry Aromatics, or just Aromatics, or if you just want a change in your smoke, I would recommend you this for sure!

the old man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the old man (14)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

could have used a little less cherry casing in this blend. burns well. do not have to keep relighting my pipe. if one likes cherry blends try this one, you may like it

slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I am a MacBaren's nut! Their best blends are wonderful...The aromatics leave a lot to be desired... Recently, I had the opportunity to buy a hoard of MacBaren's tins at about 1/3 retail price. My purchase included a few tins of Cherry Ambrosia. I thought, "what the hell, it was cheap (knowing I would not like the cherry blend)." As expected, this stuff smells like heaven in the tin, tasted pretty good for about five minutes...then, it got hot and all I could taste was the aromatic casing; the two main reasons why I do not like aromatics. HOWEVER, I did not want to waste the tobacco. HERE IS THE SOLUTION, Try mixing Cherry Ambrosia 50/50 to 60/40 with MacBaren's Virginia No.1 (always more Virginia No.1 and less Cherry Ambrosia). Virginia no. 1 is a cool and sweet smoke. The Virginia No.1 cooled and added flavor to this otherwise impossible tobacco (Cherry Ambrosia). Actually, I am so satified with the combination, I will probably put this mixture in my summer rotation. In conclusion, Cherry Ambrosia is an impossible tobacco, it burns hot and has the typical aromatic gliceryn-casing taste. However, mixed with Virginia no.1 it is not only acceptable but actually becomes a very pleasant, cool, and sweet smoke!

Cherry Ambrosia, 1 star.

Cherry Ambrosia/with Virginia No.1, 3 stars!

UPDATE: After smoking my Cherry Ambrosia/ Virginia No.1 mixture for about three weeks, I believe the mixture should be more like 70% Virginia No. 1 to 30% Cherry Ambrosia. At 50/50, I still get a the "aromatic-glycerin" taste. A little more Virginia No. 1 should help!

Upon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Upon (13)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Occasionally on a sunny day, in a cob in the garden, Cherry Ambrosia delivers a smooth and sweet sensation. Those times it can actually taste better than any other one of MacBaren's mixtures, including the flagship HH much-ados about nuttin'. Other times, more frequently I must admit, the result is the typical MacBaren acrid burley and nothing else. Cherry taste? Never. One pouch goes far.

pgzzz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgzzz (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review. I have tried a number of cherry aromatics and on opening the pouch the tobacco showed a lot of promise. Very strong cherry aroma. On lighting though the cherry taste was slight and very "synthetic". One of the few tobaccos that have genuinly diasappointed me. I would advise people to go for Mclintocks black cherry which is far superior in my oppinion.

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

Not great...a little cherry, a lot of chemical. This burns hot and wet. Avoid.

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Cherry it is. Very strong taste of cherry in this. It is the sweetest of them I have tried. Smells very good to others and taste is very pleasant. It does tend to bite when fresh due to the casings being so heavy. Drying will improve this. It has a tangy aftertaste and cleaning of your pipe is required regularly smoking this. It tends to build a tar taste at the bottom of the bowl that builds rather quickly and boils. Smoking this sweet tobacco does tend to give me a metal aftertaste if I smoke a lot of it. Great for a treat now and then but not as regular day to day blend. I highly recommend this for that purpose. It is very good.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)

I have not found my "cherry go to blend" with this. It is a good aromatic but it does lack the pizazz of most other cherry blends.

Mac Baren are not doing well with me. Their score card is 1 for 3. Their Vanilla cream hit well but Cherry Ambrosia and Plumcake are getting a 1-2 star rating.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh my, the reviews are so harsh on this blend, it's clearly not the most outstanding tobacco ever, but it's far from being categorized as hell itself. I've only smoked the old version of it (old mac baren logo) but I have never tried the new one, which I'm told is slightly different. So I suppose it's underwhelming and it does burn hot if not smoked carefully, but it's still nice to smoke once in a while, it's an aromatic that's both, mild and a bit more complex than the average OTC cherry tobaccos.I think most of the reviewers before me may be serious english blends smokers, and therefore they HATE this blend for being an aromatic and so mild. then again I can still see why some ppl wouldn't like it, but please do not be predjudiced so much against it, I for one like it for what it is. Mild, sweet dessert kind of tobacco. Only for aromatic smokers though!!!

UPDATE

I just bought a package of the new mac baren (with new packaging & new logo) and now I understand why ppl complain so much, even if I still kind of like it, the former version was far more subtle and didn't have this much tongue bite. I'll have to learn how to smoke it or find some more of the old version of it.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Better than Middletons Cherry Blend or Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish, but that isn't saying much. Smelled good in the tin but tasted cooked and pale. Not as bad as others have mentioned but definitely not worth the high price. If you want a really good cherry aromatic try Anniversary from Tinder Box.

Just another burley+cavendish+broken flake aromatic, not worth trying. The sweet cherry flavoring overwhelms whatever tobacco taste, unless you puff like hell and get a scorched tongue and the usual bitter/acrid taste you get from bad aromatics.

Thank God the pouch was a gift from an old lady neighbour, or I would have regretted my money (OK, there are worse tobaccos... but this one certainly isn't good either...).

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nasty, tounge bite city. Grusome and horrid. Yucksville. Only Borkum Riff cherry is nastier than this abomination of a tobacco.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

I usually don't like the very flavor tobaccos, but this blend likes me. Is a interesting with a good cavendish portion. Easy to burn, tasty and very considerer with the sorrounding people. With a litle tongue bite. Good tobacco.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

When I first got into smoking pipe tobacco I picked up a pouch of this stuff, drawn to the label's promise of a "taste of delightful cherries," and a "touch of genuine Jamaica rum." I still haven't gotten throught that very same pouch. Although the tin aroma is indeed cherry-like, the smoking flavour itself is something stranger and far more gruesome. It also has a disgusting aftertaste reminiscent of cheap cigarettes. Not since Borkum Riff Cherry Liqueur have I had anything this bad, and it doesn't even taste that much like cherries. I'm afraid the haters were right on this one, ladies and gentlemen. Pure stank.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Tolerable

There are few tobaccos that make me wince so much as Cherry Ambrosia. Maybe Dunhill Royal Yacht can compare to it in my list of tobaccos not to buy. The casing of this tobacco could be described as horrible but in this circumstance words pale. Aside from the fact that the package labeled "tobacco" and it burned like tobacco I'd have doubted that it was. Instead of paying actual money for this tobacco a better option would be to give the money to a hardened crininal and ask to be beaten with a rubber hose... repetedly...for a week.

Cirdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cirdan (13)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Got it as a birthday present and required to smoke it immediatly, I fear for my mouth and pipe. It turned out not to be so bad. It is no masterpice of blending, but it burns with ease, no bite, and after a ouple of puffs there is hardly any cherry. No chemical taste at all, just gentile cavendish, wich is not bad

Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I should have known better. It smells deeply of cherries in the tin and at the match. Hell itself could not be hotter.