A very distinct tobacco. Made from white burley, well matured in wooden casks and pressed in broken flake form. A real smoking pleasure.

Notes: Introduced in 1965 and consists mainly of carefully selected burley tobaccos. Just a little Virginia has been added to give the blend a natural sweetness. You will notice the slight natural chocolate note, which is found in all good burley tobacco. The very special top flavor in combination with the tobaccos gives you a very distinct smoking pleasure.

Discontinued 2014.

Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

2.9
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

Inevitably, this blend is destined to be compared first and always to Golden Extra. And why not? Same genre, same blender, same tin, same cut, same price point. Visually, the two tobaccos are indistinguishable.

Wonderful burley tin note of wheat, dry oats, wheat straw. Broken flakes. Just the right moisture level. Takes a match very well and burns evenly. Not much to dislike here. Straightforward burley flavors: wheat, parchment, tiny hint of cocoa. I detect little if any Virginias and the top noting mentioned in the blender's description is extremely mild. The Virginias are there to add the slightest touch if background sweetness. I wouldn't call this a VaBur. And despite the top-noting mentioned, this is nothing like a flavored burley or aromatic. Very dry, cool, white smoke.

Overall a superior smoke for burley lovers. No bite, even when puffed hard. An extremely 'neutral' tobacco, as a fine burley should be.

Overall an excellent, best-in-class burley. For an uncomplicated burley, I'm not sure how you top this. Add in the value and you've got a winner.

Note: the slower you sip this, the more you will taste the light cocoa flavors. It will be difficult, as the blend is so delicious you'll want to puff it. But try to sip it and you'll really get the natural and unflavored sweet milk chocolate notes of the excellent burley in this blend.

Edit 2016: As this blend has been discontinued and becoming increasingly harder to find, I must lament the loss of this tobacco to the pipe smoking community. Eclipsed only by Aged Burley Flake and possibly Peretti's No.333, this was among the finest burley blends out there. Why this was discontinued is anyone's guess. Perhaps there just aren't enough burley lovers out there. But for those few, this one is a must-have. Track it down.

Another edit: Dang, I miss this blend...

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Golden Extra.

Roy Odhner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roy Odhner (9)

MacB Burley London Blend is a wonderful smoke. If I was to compare it to any other blend, I'd say that it is a fuller version of Sir Walter Raleigh. It's also similar to MacB's Golden Extra, but darker and earthier. Appearance-wise, its a medium brown ready rub. The tin note is a chocolate honey nut. The chocolate and nuttiness is to be expected from a good Burley, but the honey-like flavor is the topping. It's also got just a bit of sweet Virginia leaf in there to smooth it out. The room note is, well, pipe-like.

Burley blends are generally nothing Earth-shattering, and are just decent and solid smokes. MacB BLB is no exception, but it is a very well-done Burley blend. I think it's one of the best Burleys out there, and it's my personal favorite - even beating out my beloved SWR. Like any good Burley, if you go looking for the goodness then you'll miss it. The trick to finding the goodness is to pack it loosely, gently get it going, sip on it, and clear your mind. As you get into that slow puffing cadence and allow your thoughts to float away on the wonderful billows of smoke you'll discover that its goodness has found you. And unless you're tongue has been totally corrupted by syrupy aromatics or leathery Lat-bombs, or you think that pipe tobacco must be a complex or nuanced affair, then I think you'll find that it is a wonderful smoke.

If you're a lover of classic Burley blends like Sir Walter, Carter Hall, or Prince Albert, then I think you're gonna love it. If you're new to pipe smoking, I think you need to try this so you can see what pipe tobacco is really all about: No heavy casings, no sticky sweet additives, no complex mixture of a hundred different tobaccos, and no adventure in every bowl - just good old fashioned tobacco flavor with a hint of cocoa-honey sweetness, and a room note that most people find pleasant.

For me, BLB is best enjoyed when all I want to do is enjoy an honest bowl of tobacco. I sit back in a big, comfy chair. Let the cat sit on my lap and purr or reach down and scratch the dog's ear, kick back in a comfortable shirt and a pair of well-worn blue jeans or khaki trousers, have a nice beverage by my side (coffee, iced tea, or a cream soda), and just enjoy the peace and comfort for their own sake. Puff slowly and without any particular purpose in mind, and just enjoy being alive.

The burleys were high quality: nuts and cocoa with notes of honey, oats, and molasses, and slight spice and woody, rough edge from the white burley. The Virginia was citrusy sweet and a little grassy in the background. The nic-hit was mild. Could nip at the tongue only if puffed like a steam engine, which could also produce some cigarette notes, which is a common trait with burleys. A no nonsense product. The flakes were easy to break apart, and fit in a pipe as one preferred. Puffed at a moderate rate, it burned just a little slow with a very consistent flavor. Seldom left much moisture in the bowl and required a few relights. Had a pleasant after taste. Was an all day smoke.

I took BriarLaw's advice. I bought two tins of this tobacco, stuck them in my cellar for six months and then popped the lid on one of the tins just last week. Boy, am I glad I did.

I'm singing with the crowd -- yummy stuff!

Upon popping the tin, I was greeted with what might just be the best tobacco smell I've encountered after more than 32 years of bustin' open tobacco lids. I struggled to load my pipe patiently and carefully. I lit up and enjoyed a delightful smoke.

Burley London is partially rubbed out, and burns fast. So, it doesn't need further rubbing. It does not produce a lot of smoke and is rather light in the nicotine department for a straight Burley. It is lightly cased, so, you will get a hint of sweetness throughout the bowl without any typical Burley harshness.

You will know that you've tackled a Burley tobacco while smoking this one, and it's as mellow as any Burley I've ever smoked.

If Burley is in your tobacco arsenal, arm yourself with this. Mac Baren's "went yard" with London Burley.

I have been smoking Mac's Burley London Blend for nearly 35 years. As I enjoy a good Burley, it has always been one of my rotation smokes.

What I like about Burley London Blend is that it has a nice, solid tobacco taste throughout the smoke with always a hint of sweetness in the background (probably a combination of the VA present and the light casing). Bulk is less moist than in the tin. I do, however, store even the bulk for about a month before smoking it. This greatly reduces the risk of any tongue-bite. All the Macs bit me like a pit bull when I first fancied on them many years ago. The fresh bulk bag aroma reminds me of raisins and a touch of honey. I don't get that same aroma from the tinned version, but the smoking characteristics are indistinguishable from one another. I get a nice chocolate, raisin-like note with slow smoking. I find it best in a Dublin or narrow billiard. The flavors are more pronounced with the last third of the bowl and without the Burley bitters.

If you dry the Mac Baren products a bit, take care in packing, and sip at your pipe, there shouldn't be any issues with tongue bite. The room note is pleasant - even for non-smokers in my experience. When I first started smoking, I thought sweetness (aromatics, heavily cased) was the way to go. Not anymore for me. Burley London Blend has a background sweetness which for me is just right. Although the tin description lists it, I do not detect the said Virginia presence, but I am sure it does contribute to the very subtle sweetness. The least astringent/sour of the Mac Baren's Burleys, and for me, the best.

Pouch or tin aroma is one thing, but taste is what it's all about for me. True tobacco taste is inseparable from a good room note in my opinion. After all, you want to taste and smell the blend you're smoking. It has that "pipey" smell about it that I enjoy upon re-entering the room where it was being smoked - old school and comforting. Doesn't happen with many blends, but with Mac's BLB, it happens for me. A solid Burley smoke rating 4 stars!

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)

Finally got around to reviewing Burley London Blend. Back in 2015, I bought a pound of this in a bag, almost the last the vendor had. I am a Burley man and this one had all the hallmarks of a great one. It isn't, though.

It will bite if pushed very hard, like so many Mac Baren blends. I bought an old BLB tin off ebay, full but opened and dried. I rehydrated but not too much. It burned me too much to smoke it, and I never got the flavor to return, gave it away.

The bag I broke up right away into half-pint jars. Some I smoked right away, most left for aging. I did not experience the sweetness, though a bit of sweetness is a good thing for Burley. I did get a bit of chocolate flavor, but many Burleys naturally do this. Moderate nicotine level and good tobacco taste. Room note was OK, not something your S.O. will ask you to smoke. I believe that really good-quality Burley was used in this blend, though it did not produce exceptional amounts of smoke.

It is not the best I've had, by a long shot. Try Solani's Aged Burley Flake, Watch City Cigar's Deluxe Crumb Cut or Scotty's Butternut Burley. I will miss it, because I always miss a good tobacco blend that is discontinued. But I can only give it 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Cob, Briar

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This really has to be one of the best Burleys around! It is supple, tasty, rich, with an earthy undertone that compliments the almost monochromatic structure of the blend. Nice meaty chunks of mid brown broken flake (broken cake?), easy to break apart and fill in the bowl, Burley London Blend is simple and straightforward. It does pack a considerable amount of nicotine, but its smoothness makes it a delight, especially when having a shot of bourbon. With Virginia No1, this is perhaps one of the best achievements of Mac Baren. Kudos.

3pipeproblem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
3pipeproblem (13)

Glad I got to try this before it was discontinued, and wish I had some stashed away. It's been about 6 years since I smoked it, but I recall it was very high quality Burley with a straight-up, unapologetic flavor. Not for beginners and certainly not for those who don't love Burley. A great loss to the tobacco world : 4 stars for the ages.

Pipe Used: Various briars.

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Golden Extra.

fmjiii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fmjiii (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Of MacBaren's Burley blends, this one has the least VA mixed in and is the purest Burley experience compared to Norwood and Golden Blend (aka Golden Extra). The leaf is something between a ready-rubbed and a broken flake in the tin, almost uniformly brown; the tin note is of cocoa and some chocolate, with sweetness.

Stuffing and lighting this typical MacBaren cut is easy, I have no need to dry out first. Stuff lightly, though. The room note is an airy, cocoa-ish fragrance that may not be a chick magnet but is quite good; the taste builds up from a rather dry chocolate note to gain more and more sweetness.

Needs to be smoked somewhat slowly to appreciate, but that is not much of a problem; just sip slowly. It seems MacBaren have added a little sugar to sweeten the blend, accordingly the burn can turn too hot. After smoking, I have no dottle in the bowl, just an even light grey ash.

A nice premium blend, for me this is one of those indispensable things to have around when I need that Burley fix that I keep a goodly stock of tins.

Pipe Used: Various briars

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This Burley Blend has some nuttiness to it. It smokes cool and has an even flavor profile. I really like the appearance and tin aroma, however, it fall a bit flat to my taste.

I will be using this tin for blending to add the nut and coolness and I will come back to it as a change-up to my normal MV, VaPer, English, Oriental, Scottish and Balkan preference. I doubt I will be buying a second tin.

Happy Smoke Trails!

Pipe Used: Luciano Bent Dublin

Age When Smoked: New to 2 years

Purchased From: JR Fielding, Shoreview, MN, USA

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)

This blend is not hype! It delivers like a Satchel Paige fast ball over the plate. Its my first experience with a burley blend and one of the differences is, it burns quick. (Not hot or fast) Just burns up quick. I didn't pack a full bowl but by the time I got it going to my surprise it was over. Burned dry and ashy. Very flavorable, feels med body, tasty through and through with a touch of sweetness. I will buy more and put some away. This one will only get even greater with age… I could only imagine what that will be like.

Its the only tobacco tin I have ever popped to reveal the smell of vintage tobacco farms. I put it under the nose of my father who is 3rd generation tobacco farmer and it he said, "Gracious! it smells just like my tobacco auctions from old!" I know exactly what he was talking about, it brought back visions of bacca hanging on the sticks…. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Some London made job.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin. No air dry.

Purchased From: JR Cigars

London Blend is a simple burley - mild and tasty. I did not taste much Virginia, but I can believe there is a little there. If I ran out of tobacco someplace, I would not hesitate to pick up a tin of this. I am unlikely to just buy some just to have around. It was a little like Prince Albert to me without the harsh edge if you puff too fast. This is a good smoke for the car - it does not require much attention or distract. It has a pleasant room note.

Pipe Used: various briars and a cob

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: gift of 4 oz bulk

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)

This is a good Burley/VA mix. The topping is very mild and is felt more than tasted. I like Burley's and this one is good. It is toasty, nutty at times it reminds me of cashews! A nice touch of cocoa here and there but in this case I think most of it comes from the high quality Burley rather then the topping. This was a bulk buy and well worth the money. Only 3 stars as it lacks the I gotta have more element but it is a very enjoyable smoke. For those who really like Burley it is worth a try.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

MacBaren does a number of blends well, and BLB is one of their best. Unfortunately, I missed trying it for many years. We live in a great age for pipe tobacco enthusiasts given Websites like this which compile reviews. There are many good ones here which describe this tobac well and which put me onto BLB. I have looked a long time for a Burley blend as good as this one. MacBaren blends are often criticized for "all tasting alike", a reference to the MacBaren Cavendish used in many of their blends imparting a unique taste. Not so here. As I noted there are many good reviews below that "hit the nail on the head".

BLB is a great smoke - nutty, with a subtle sweetness. It burns well to a white ash without getting bitter as so many Burley blends do. It is very well balanced top to bottom without any bite. It did heat up my briar from time to time, probably due to my packing it too tight at first.

Top shelf!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A classic burley mixture with a subtle nutlike topping to enhance its natural taste. With the perfect moisture level when you open the tin, it's an all-day smoke that never bites (unlike many Mac Baren's) and burns evenly and slowly.

The only drawback I've found is towards the end of the bowl, where it sometimes gets a bit bitter, lacking either little more virginias or a sweeter casing. This problem only appears with certain pipes and only in very large bowls. A medium to large pipe will deliver all the flavor of a great tobacco from top to bottom.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! Does Macbaren know burleys or what?!! This is an excellent burley. Like most it smokes better in a cob and is the perfect solution to summertime heat. The tobacco is of the highest quality and the casing is only needed to add a tiny bit of sweetness which this one does nicely. The nuttiness of the burley is the main focus and this could easily be an all day smoke. This blend can bite, however, if you are used to smoking Virginias this should be no problem at all. All in all a very satisfying tobacco that is only outdone by Macbaren's Navy Flake, which I think may be the greatest burley of all time!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)

This was a good Burley that could burn hot if pushed. Smooth and nutty and consistent. I'd place it in between the OTCs and the likes of C&D/Watch City/John Patton. Miss it enough that I wish I would have bought a pound when they announced it discontinued.

doc pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doc pipes (21)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This burley blend comes packed as broken tumbled flakes that are predominately brown with a few bright strands. When I first opened the tin, it smelled strongly of stewed fruit. Over time after being open, this gave way to sweet chocolate. The taste is pretty much plain burley with only a faint sense of the sugar/maple casing and chocolate top note. This one just got nixed from the Macbaren production list; get it now if you are interested.

Pipe Used: numerous

Purchased From: iwan ries

beano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beano (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

only 2+ years experience

This blend is pretty sweet, but not sickeningly sweet. No heavey kick that you would expect from a burley either. Since it was discontinued I bought a few pounds for the cellar.

Pipe Used: cobs

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)

Flavorfull and simple Burley smoke (i can't detect the virginias) , great for the times when you just want to pack your Briar (or Cob) to enjoy a honest smoke! Very Good !!

Pipe Used: Askwith Chubby Billiard , Radice Chubby Billiard

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Golden Blend.

Very nice smoke. The Burley and the chocolate flavoring are delicious. The chocolate is lightly done. The Virginias add a nice sweetness, but can sting at times. No bite, but a light sting. For those who are really susceptible to bite you may have some trouble with this one. Medium bodied with medium flavor.

MacBaren owns Sutliff. This blend is so similar to Sutliff's Burley Delight that it makes me wonder if they aren't the same. Just a thought. Both are available in bulk with the Sutliff version 45 cents per ounce cheaper.

Let me add that I'm reviewing the bulk version and it is a broken flake, not ribbon as listed above.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Similar Blends: Sutliff's Burley Delight.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mac Baren is notorious for tongue bite. This blend is not an exception to this curse. However it dose have a rather pleasant light burley flavor to it. I'd put this blend one step above OTC burley blends. But just barley.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)

This is a trustworthy burley. But it is different than American codger burleys (consequently the "London" designation, while puzzling to me, still seems appropriate.) First of all the ribbon cut burns slower and requires some extra rubbing out. The virginia is always present (similar to Carter Hall) but the overall flavor is more natural and not as sweet as CH.

My only criticism is that the tin note promises something rich and deep, chocolatey and semi-sweet, but the actual smoking flavor is drier and straightforward. In any case if you know how to smoke Macbarens and you want a straightforward and affordable burley, this one will satisfy.

EDIT 2014-03

Just bought a pound of this due to fond memories. But, I was horrified by the tongue bite I was getting. I thought I had become immune to Macbite after learning to smoke them properly. I don't know why, but what got rid of the bite was, instead of rubbing out the mixture, I kept the strands of tobacco as intact as possible, shoving them rudely into the pipe and putting some kindling at the top of the bowl. There's my old BLB! Sad to hear it's discontinued. I've got enough to last me awhile but I hope it comes back.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The unfortunate thing about London Burley Blend is underwhelming lack of strength. It's a beautifully presented light-medium brown rubbed out flake with a light honey aroma (like so many of Mac Baren's offerings). It lights well and the smoke has a reasonable body, yet the taste (and it is wonderful) is so light it is hard to detect. If only Mac Baren could simply amplify this taste considerably, it could indeed be a personal favorite.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I'm smiling and puffing. I'm an ardent smoker of English blends as I'm fond of the latakia. I do enjoy a Burley though. A fella has got to keep his rotation exciting and after some talk with my tobacconist I went out on a limb and bought a 100 g tin of BLB. I opened the tin with a bit of trepidation, there's been a few “new” tobacco fails in the last several months. The BLB tin had a wonderful tobacco aroma with hints of raisins and fresh leather. It had a perfect moisture level. The tobacco needed to be rolled out a little to load the pipe. I loaded up my full bent Caminetto, easily lit the bowl on the char and puffed hardily. Wonderful taste, nice and nutty, mild, but with complexity! I was very pleased. Apparently I got lucky as I had only lightly packed half a bowl (after smoking it I came to the website, read the other reviews, and found this was recommended). On the plus side this was a very tasty and pleasant smoke. A great tobacco flavor. On the negative, I did detect a bit of an alcohol top note, I get a metallic taste in my mouth (usually in the back) with those (not pleasant). I had just a faint bit of that when I puffed away a bit too dramatically. The trick with alcohol toppings is either to smoke the tobacco with a churchwarden or to sip gently at the shorter pipe. This keeps the temperature and volume of the smoke down. I slowed things up and the nutty goodness took control of the flavor. Great smoke!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Now here is a blend that, I believe, many under-rate.

Opening the tin, there is a waft of cocoa and chocolate, as befits a Burley blend, and also a goodly amount of sweetness. The tobacco is MacBaren's typical rough rubbed-out flake, with a uniform brown colour.

The moisture in the tins I get here is perfect; just crumble some leaf into a large pipe, light up, and enjoy. The room note is typical Burley, a gentle, dry sweetness. The taste is notably sweet for a Burley, though, with a very solid chocolate note (not a topping!) and the room note a fragrant, cocoa-ish beauty. The Nic kick, however, is quite noticeable -- in the wide range of Burley-based, non-aromatic blends, this one stands out.

If you like a solid Burley, this is your ticket. If you like MacB's Norwood or Golden Blend, try this one, by all means. This blend is not exactly weak, but easy to stuff and maintain. The VA additive is beautiful, but this is all about Burley... few Burley blends, if any, are better.

Note as of 2012-02-27: This is in my standard rotation. When I want a good Burley, this is what I smoke. Enough oomph for me, good taste, airy aroma... OK, it makes me smile. Up-rating to 5 out of 4.

A good straight Burley! I enjoy Golden Blend once in a while, but this is better: the Burley taste is more pronounced, more refined. It has more body, it is richer, and at the same time even smoother.

Of course you have to like the taste of Burley: woody, oaky, grassy, earthy slightly astringent, with notes of fresh yeast and black coffee. But this great blend does not turn exceedingly bitter like other Burleys do.

The usual Mac Baren casing is applied sparingly (some honey? some bitter cocoa?), and the result is a tobacco that comes on the dry side, burns great, velvety and with no bite, while maintaining an intense taste from start to finish.

Sure, Burley can be a bit monochromatic on the long run, and I prefer the variations offered by Mac Baren Navy Mixture (which is less Burley oriented and sweeter), but as Burley-dominated blends go, this is one of the best. I might almost be tempted to say that it behaves better than the legendary Edgeworth Sliced...

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my second Mac Baren product I've smoked. When you open the tin there is a raisin-type smell and you notice the high moisture content. The tobacco appears to be ribbon and needs to be fully rubbed out. I had some issues lighting, but was able to get it going after a while. The first few puffs are full of typical Mac Baren bite. all of this may be due to the stuff they use to keep the tobacco moist. When the tin has seen some air, the bite subsides. The taste is definitely a dark Burley taste. The usual nutty flavor of Burley does not seem to be here. I think that there are some Virginias to "balance" this blend. The tobacco burns hot and the bite only disappears during the last third of the bowl. The ash is clean and Grey. However, there is some moisture left in the pipe. I think that if the folks at Mac Baren would leave off the moistening agent, this one would have been a real winner. This stuff has been called a more refined version of Prince Albert. In my opinion, this stuff is less refined than the good ole Prince. The Prince burns cool, there is a nutty taste, and the price is right. This blend has none of those qualities. With all that said, I still somewhat recommend this tobacco for those wanting to try some Burley without going for it all. A Virginia smoker may like this for something different. An English smoker will find this one boring. And, an aromatic smoker will find the nicotine level a bit high. I will probably finish the tin I've got, but I can't say I'd rush out to get another. Still, one of the best Mac Baren products out there. At the very least, it's not soaked in sugar!

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Medium Medium Medium Very Strong

I really didn't know what to expect.... the many reviews here seem to indicate that this is a tobacco which presents itself very differently to different smokers.

Opening the tin, I am greeted with what I took for an almost raisiny scent, my wife figures theres some vanilla too. The leaf is brown, chunky broken flake, Mac Baren style.

Just about dry enough in the tin. I just wad this and stuff it until the pipe is full. Lighting and keeping lit are no problem.

There is a bit of an acidity, I suppose, but I don't find this a bitey tobacco at all. There is an almost winey note on top of the burley, and the Virginia keeps things sweet. I was really worried that this was going to be another "cardboard and blueberries" like University Flake, but it's much more uniform, and much better tasting.

Room note: Urine. I kid you not.

This is a pleasant smoke - you get what you seek. If you think about the topping, you taste that. If you think more about the tobacco flavors, they come through. I enjoy it. I don't think it's a very "pure" burley, but then, I don't turn to my favorite Danes for pure - I turn to them for yummy.

Smoke it slow, can't miss.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)

Nice tobacco; chocolate and a very subtle honey which is present in many MacBaren burley-based blends. Puff judiciously to avoid tongue bite.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a good burley blend. Not nearly the best I've ever had, but not the worst. It is a nice broken flake packed tightly into a 100g tin.

I would say it is a great burley for the money and availability, but it just does not rise to the level of say, ABF, Uhle's (take your pick), C & D burleys (take your pic again) or even Mac Baren's own ODF. At least to my tastes.

I will say the tin I purchased was at the perfect moisture content. Personally for me I would put this at two stars, but am adding a star for price and availability and I really don't think someone will feel they wasted their money on this one.

Similar Blends: LJ Heart Burley?.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

An impeccable burley blend that burns cool, slow and easy. There is a faint sweetness to the nose but whatever notes come from the topping are very subdued. This is a one light tobacco which is creamy rather than nutty. No bite whatever.

Overall, a no nonsense tobacco that delivers no surprises and no unpleasant surprises either. Would make a good all day smoke, because there is little to distract and it burns so well without attention. I would also recommend this to anyone new to the pipe because the broken flake is so user friendly and it is very good value for a quality tobacco. Not however a star tobacco by any means.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Okay, I got this blend, and it was a haystack. I still smoked it, bit like crazy and didn't taste all good.

So I gave some time to moisten and give it a legit smoke. The taste was half decent. I decent burley nutty taste. It still bit like hell. Hard to enjoy when it burns so hot, even slow puffing.

I see how this blend could be good. Even after the nutty taste, there was a chemical after taste I couldn't seem to get rid of.

If your a beginner, looking for aromatics, try a sampler on any pipe tobacco website, and you should see some better cuts, and flavors. If you were at a local shop, and this is what you see I wouldn't discourage you, it's a good start, just not something I would keep.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Cob

Purchased From: Local Shop (J & R Fielding Co.)

Armac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armac (10)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm predominently a Burley smoker or Burley-Virginia, and have been for over 20 years. This tobacco is one for Burley lovers. It satisfies every description of true Burley tobacco. I suspect the Virginia component is less than ten percent and simply adds a bit of sweetness that would compliment this tobacco if salted away for several years. And unlike some of the MB blends, there is little to no bite. It's deeper and richer that Golden Extra, an excellent Burley blend in its own right. There's no need to go into a lengthy description of smoking and other qualities - there's plenty of that here. Highly recommended.

Mike0831 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike0831 (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm a big Virginia tobak smoker. I want to think of myself as a minimalist. "Give me tobacco and don't dandy it up". I really like the flake tobak but I've always shied away from burley because of the "traumatizing" experiences I've had with drugstore/OTC tobaks. Also it's said that Burleys don't have the "complexity" of the other types of tobak. I tried this on a whim after reading a review on the Pipes and Tobacco website and (of course) looking at the reviews of you aficionados of the weed on this wonderful site and I'm here to tell you I am pleasantly surprised by the tobak. It's smooth and refined and seeing as I always puff slowly and lightly, it doesn't burn or bite. I would heartily recommend this tobak to anyone looking for a pure form of burley. The price is really good and if anyone knows of any other type of burley I should smoke to compare then by all means tell me.

Tumbaki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tumbaki (9)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

With so many excellent blends out there, this blend does nothing for me. I went through 3 tins, and will never buy another. Flat, flat, flat.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Objective: Sticky, pressed, light colored tobacco. Good amount of tobacco for the price.

Subjective: This tobacco is topped with a good amount sugar and tastes like soggy Wheaties and burned sugar. This stuff bites if not very careful, so diminshed must be the sip that it's truly not enjoyable. This characteristic seems constant with most MB blends. Will not go down this road again.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

Opening the tin reveals nice honey overtones. Tastes like a reasonable mild burley/va mix. mild to medium nicotine and not much bite.

While not great it's perfectly smokeable and very reasonably priced for tinned tobacco ($9 for 100g). I prefer the Golden extra which is similarly priced. Good budget baccy with a classy tin.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin, I thought I had opened the wrong tin! It was almost the same look and smell as Virginia no.1 and honestly I had a hard time with this being a Burley Blend. I couldn't get past this being a Virginia blend.

Smokes like hot air for me, two bowls in two different pipes and I just didn't like it. I didn't waste the tobacco though, used it for filler in some home-blends and with some other tinned tobacco.

I won't purchase another one. I usually like Mac Baren's tobacco, but this one wasn't for me.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Extra Strong

I enjoy Kentucky Club and Carter Hall, so when I purchased this I expected a top shelf burley flavor with more body than CH and KC. When I opened the tin all I could smell was Virginia, now I like Va., but not when I am expecting Burley. Once lit it tasted weird, like a cigar or cigarette was broken up and put into my pipe. It never got better for me, also the wife said it smelled like burning plastic, not good for marital relations.

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (18)

I was gifted a Savinelli ( Bings Favorite ) and I thought I'd try a nice burley since it was his main blend. So I went to my local tobac shop and got a couple oz's of BLB. No tins but in bulk. See here in the 757 area code the tobac shops are more geared towards to cigar smokers, so if I want tinned tobac I either have to drive over 100 miles or order on-line. Enough rambling. I found that this blend was VERY ENJOYABLE. Since I'm a heavy english/balkan smoker I was'nt expecting much, but I was surprised. I liked the rich smoke and the flavor. Hints of chacolate but just ever so slight in the background. Overall a nice change of pace from the latakia blends I normally smoke. Will try a tin when I place my next order or decide to make a road trip. Not an everyday thing for me but I'll keep some on hand when I want to change things up a bit. It's worth a try if you dont want to shell out 10-12 bucks for a tin and can get it in bulk pick up an oz or two, you might be surprised like I was.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I have always considered myself to be a bit of a burleyphile, I was hoping this blend would be a more refined and elegant version of plain burley on the line of a Prince Albert. While I know this blend is popular with many burley lovers I could not enjoy it. I found it harsh and bitter with nothing much to make me want to repeat the experience.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I can see why some people might like this, but I don't. The tobacco presentation exudes quality; the metal tin is painted, not labeled, the tobacco itself looks and smells great, and it packs and lights easily. Unfortunately, that's when it all goes south. There is almost no flavor to this tobacco other than that of very slightly sweet hot air. It also bites. I'm not sure I would even bother blending it with something else as it has no flavor of it's own and would only impart some of it's bite.

kevmo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kevmo (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice burley blend.I have found that it helps to rub it out a little bit before smoking. Doesn't need much drying. Good,even smoke, I agree with the 'nutty' description.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A top burly blend, a top MAC b. A must try barley blend. Its a classic.

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This Tobacco has been in my rotation for awhile now, I love it almost as much as Mac B Navy Flake. Just an excellent burley tobacco flavor with a sweet chocolate note. Starts out mild but becomes more full an better as you get down the bowl. Not a real biter like some Mac B's. The nice thing is the wife doesn't mind it like she does Navy Flake, and it doesn't seem to stay on my breath as long. If you like Burley you'll love this one.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

McB Burley L.B. Purchased in bulk form. The bag aroma seemed mostly of tobaccos, with a faint hint of maybe chocolate. It's moisture content seemed a bit dry, but what do I know, this was my first go around with this blend. So I jumped right in and loaded up a bowl. After a trouble free light up, I was rewarded with nice clouds of smoke, noticeably heavier in body than many of my favorite OTC burleys or for that matter their (McB) Golden extra. So far OK. But it did not take long, for my mouth chemistry to detect that all too familiar somewhat harsh and soapy mouth feel (not taste) to kick in, this tendency or reaction I prefer not to except in my tobaccos, so it looks like my existing burley rotation stays as is... With that out of the way, I did not encounter any tongue bite, and this stuff is not without its own merits, as shown by the many positive reviews on this site, but for me LB is not my first choice when smoking burleys. So in good conscience, I can only somewhat recommend this blend. My personal rating 2.5 /5

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great tasting burley with a very slight sweetness but a little too mild in the nicotine dept. I tried this in a medium/large briar and also a smaller bowl. I didn't have much problem with tongue bite but I did have to let the pipe rest often due to over-heating, and that's without heavy puffing. Then, I tried it in a corncob and what a difference. Taste is fantastic and it behaves better in a corncob. Even though the nicotine level is a bit too mild for me, I'll still be enjoying large bowls of this during the warmer months and of course smoking it from my Missouri meerschaum general or freehand.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The best thing I can say about this blend is that it reminded me of Mild Kentucky Club, but without MKC's nice floral casing. I didn't notice any "slight natural chocolate note", but the notorious Macbaren bite and hot-burning qualities were there. I also noticed a "sour" taste/smell frequently found with burley blends, but this sourness was a bit much for me.

Overall, not a terrible blend, but at $5.71 an ounce, I was expecting much more. I'll stick with $1.78/ounce Mild Kentucky Club.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

In my humble opinion MacBaren should stop production of everthing else they make except this fine blend and Scotish Mixture. Burley London Blend is the Holy Grail of Burleys. No bite, soft, sweet, non cloying, non goopy, natural tasing nutty Burley.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Have to thank Traderbob and Creeper below for my overall pleasure with this great blend. I ordered it in great expectation based upon the reviews seen here and was at first disappointed.

Ordered this in bulk and it arrived, as remarked by others, only partially rubbed out. My initial problem, I believe, was with the seller: the stuff was so dry that when I started rubbing it out, it crumbled into fine grains almost the size of table salt. After re-hydrating it a bit and being more careful, loaded up a bowl and went at it. Man, for a Burley, this stuff was STRONG. Started to get a few nips that felt as if it was going to bite. Went to the computer and reread the reviews and saw Traderbob and Creeper's recommendation to pack this very lightly and tried that with a fresh bowl. Made all the difference in the world. It now offers an extremely satisfying, tasty smoke with no more problems.

When properly hydrated, packs very well, lights easily and gets going with just one light, easily stays lit all the way down and leaves a dark charcoal ash with no dollop. Smokes cool and with no hint of a bite (now), extremely honest and pure tobacco flavor, and leaves no objectionable taste in the mouth or pipe.

Thoroughly enjoyable smoke that never pulls your chain. Don't know that I'd recommend this for a beginner; it certainly does not qualify as an aromatic and is a really serious baccy that IMO only a seasoned, serious pipe smoker would enjoy.

Only tried this in a very well-aged tin that seems to have been opened for a few years. The tobacco was still smokeable. Though not a burley fan, I might buy this as a blending base, and a blend is exactly what I used it for-mixed it with an equally antiquated Virginia and added some Latakia and black cavendish. It's a little strange, but not too bad! I'm letting it stand in a jar for a while to marry the flavors. I think I would like this better blended than straight in general, though for a burley it was not so bad. I liked it best in a cob. Nutty, mild, and not as harsh as some burley I've tried. Didn't bite, but my tin was pretty old. Maybe the MacBarens that do bite me, and there are a couple, would do so less with age. Lose their teeth, so to speak.

1-26-11 Few months ago, got a c.1989 sealed tin on Ebay. Smoked a little, then stuck it in a jar. Had some last night, and it really is good. To be continued...

Jimmyc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jimmyc (3)
Mild Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Nice burley flavor, woodsy, nutty, etc. and vary mild. It maintains this flavor from the start to finish with very little development. This is an excellant change of pace from the english and virginia blends I usually smoke. Not an all day smoke as it would get a little boring but nice to have around when your in the mood for that burley taste.

This is a good starter burley with nice rich flavor but that eschews burley's normal spiciness and nuttiness for a bit more sweetness and "grassiness". Lightly cased, the flavoring does not intrude but rather accents. This is the finest Mac Baren blend I have smoked to date and one that I had passed over due to my "virginia snobbery" that I've finally overcome. There are better burleys out there (to my taste) but this is one I recommend to anyone looking for a change of pace or a nice "steady eddie". Ridiculously low priced in bulk for the high quality (less than 2 bucks an ounce). It may be a bit monodimensional but you can't go wrong for the price. This is a winner. I'm buying a pound and will dip into it regularly.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I my whole life I have experienced very few all-Burleys. I do remember Edgeworth RR and Prince Albert, when I was still a teen... may I just add McBaren Golden Blend, even it is not a true straight Burley.

I really wished to taste some good Burley so I got a couple of 100grms tins of BLB coming from Amsterdam.

Oh yes, BLB is slightly cased. I feel some alcoholic topping (rhum?) and a nice chocolate note (but this may belong to the tobacco itself) in the tin aroma. The cut is a chunky ready rubbed, the weed bit greasy at the touch, the colour a grey-ish medium brown.

No need of particular care in filling the pipe, just light hand and a bit more rubbing on top. Lights good and burns even better, leaving a light grey fluffy ash. Musty, earthy, woodsy, plain smoke with just a hint of chocolate sweetness and occasional peppery notes: IMHO this is tobacco with the slightest correction possible.

Seems to me that BLB is the only true medium smoke produced by McB.

I have overcome the bite issue, but I would make you sure that in no way BLB will bite you.

I truly like it, of course a plain smoke like this need alternation; and would forget the all-day tobacco issue, because simply there is no reason to look for the same tobacco for a lifetime, nor for a whole day. There are several other things we cannot change every day (the wife, just to name one...).

Fortunately we can change pipes and tobaccos.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Update: This is actually my all day smoke, this is delightful burley smoke, very high quality at very competitive price, BLB is the best burley out there, if you are unsure try it for yourself.

Reliability, professionalism and consistency are sorely lacking with most tobacco brands - not with Mac Baren -----------------------------------------------

This is the best straight burley from Mac Baren. Top quality white burley leaf slightly cased with Mac Honey, it smokes cool and bite free, not as nutty as Prince Albert but it has more natural tobacco taste without the Prince chemical after taste. However, unless you love burley, this can?t be an all-day smoke because it tastes a bit bland and boring after 2-3 bowls.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is good burley. I like to dry out MacB's or they tend to bite. I dry this a bit and its a keeper.

YoungPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungPuffer (5)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, hmmnn... lets see, I really like this for what it is. I think it is a very good burley, I really am not a burley smoker, but on occasion, esp. in the mornings in a big bowled pipe. It is very easy to smoke, no bite to speak of, and burns quite cool. This stuff seems to take forever to get through a bowl of so u better be committed when u sit to take a puff off of this. Very good for the burley lovers, not good for the wife lovers as she will hate this blend. A good patio or back deck smoke though.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

I had to look hard to find this blend in my local area. Being a big fan of burleys, I really was looking forward to trying it. Perhaps I got a bad tin, or perhaps it just does not agree with me. At any rate, the stuff I tried did not come across as the same thing everyone else here is talking about.

In the tin, it was dry and coarse in texture. It was not ready rubbed, and no way could it be smoked "as is". The topping was a little rank with a rotten ketchup smell, which I had to air off for a couple days before I could even tolerate taste of it unlit in my pipe. I sampled this blend in pots, cobs, and pokers. It tasted and smoked pretty much the same regardless of how I rubbbed it or cut it, and regardless of pipe.

It wasn't too bad smoking it, except it did bite like hell occasionally. The nuttiness I expected didn't quite come through, and the sweetness was only occasionally present. It smoked nice and dry, and no bitterness was present. All in all, not bad but not great. For someone not crazy about burleys, and wanting a bland ordinary smoke, it would do. Orlik's Dark Kentucky is a much better burley/va blend for anyone really craving a strong burley. And, there are far too many inexpensive burley house blends at any number of tobacconists that would be just as good, good enough to not warrant dropping twelve or thirteen dollars on a tin of MacB's.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)

I certainly would recommend this blend to anyone who enjoys Burley, but if you don't like burley, step back.

Like every MacBaren, don't bother filling your pipe carefully with this, it will only waste your time. Put some of the ready rubbed stuff in the pipe and light up. It keeps lit very easily with a slight tamp now and then. And also, like most MacBarens, this one can bite so be careful. I find that smoked slowly, this blend gives gives the smoker an enjoyable taste. The smoke is nutty and sweet. The honey like casing gives a nice topping. If it begins to bite too much, I set it down and light it up again about 5 or 10 minutes later. Although many of you like to smoke this in corn cobs, I prefer a cheap basket briar. The aroma is delightful. If you enjoy burley and are not an absolute MacBaren hater, this is definitely worth your time. But, if you find Burley boring and MacBaren to be poor quality, do not bother lighting this up.

Update 10/12/2005:

Well I have almost finished my pouch of this and I must say that I have changed my opinion. I really like this blend. After smoking it a bit, I found that the bite was really not that bad. Especially considering some other aromatic blends I have tried. I love the taste, aroma, and body of this tobacco. It is my favorite burley blend, and once again has proven to me (along with Virginia No. 1) that MacBaren makes good quality tobacco that is different from everybody else. Four Stars.

I won't go into the usual detail that I do. I purchased this blend in order to find a replacement for Edgeworth. This blend comes somewhat close, but not a replacement IMO. It is one of the cooler smoking MCB blends, but can still nip the tongue if not careful. The casing is very light and is smelled in the room note more than it is tasted. It comes as a broken flake that works well if you just stuff and light. Smokes to the bottom of the bowl with no fuss and leaves a fine light grey ash. Yes, this blend tastes like Burley and pretty good one at that, but not as tasty as Edgeworth. I will buy some more and keep for an occaisonal change of pace. Enjoy...

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I could swear I reviewed this a couple of years back. Who knows, I have had a tin of this a long time. A very nice Burley but I prefer MacB's Golden Extra as my rotational Burley. Anyway, three big stars for Burley London Blend!

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

For me, this is a bench mark burley blend. Compared to several of the other burleys I smoke regularly, the topping here is very light. I get just a hint of a honey like aroma in the tin, and when smoked it's just barely noticable. BLB has the best burn rate I've encountered. In my burley pipe a bowl of just about anything else lasts an hour or so; a bowl of this stuff goes two hours without any signs of bitterness or dampness. The taste is rather low key and very subtle but with every bowl I've smoked, theres a spot in the middle where that warm, nutty, mellow tastes comes through and for those who enjoy burley it's darn near the holy grail. As others have recommended, this is one you'll want to smoke very slowly. I guess I'm just lucky but I've never encountered the tongue bite that you hear so much about. For those who like a good burley smoke, you have to try this one. If purchased in bulk, a good buy.

RickPiatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RickPiatt (16)
Strong Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

On the recomendation of a number of folks on ASP I purchased a tin of this tobacco in the hopes of finding a replacement for the no longer manufactured Edgeworth Sliced. Alas, this tobacco simply doesn't do it for me to put it gently. I tried it in various pipes ranging in size from roughly a group 1 Dr.Grabow to a group 4 Dunhill Billiard. In every case the nicotine was potent enough to turn my stomach. The flavor IMHO was extremely flat and boring. I could go on, but what's the point.

This is a nice, nutty, raisiny, sweet burley blend. It has a nice aroma when smoked. It can burn as hot as gasoline soaked straw. However, if you let this dry out a bit, and follow the advice of some of the other reviewers who love MacBaren blends(pack carelessly, and smoke CAREFULLY), you will be rewarded with some exquisite burley flavor. For me, the flavor just is not worth the bite. This the ONLY burley that has really roasted me multiple times. After careful consideration, I cannot recommend this blend at all.

My favorite burley blend is still Wilke's Nut Brown Burley, as it tastes good and has flawless burning characteristics.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (29)

A classic Mac Baren blend, good presentation, mild flavor, easy to light and burn, sometimes harmfull to the tongue, with a nice aroma to the public. Is the blend ideal for the day and the social reunion. A litle "boring".

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I think MacBaren is to burley as Rattray's and McClelland are to Virginias. They seem to do it best. I had been smoking Prince Albert for my burley rotation and decided to revisit my MB stack-o-tins. Glad I did: this burley blend is a gentle tasting reminder of their quality. This blend is their plainest offering, seemingly unflavored and unadorned. So plain, in fact, I have to wait for the second third of the bowl to appreciate it. On the plus side, this is a slightly rubbed out flake, unlike many cube-cut burleys on the market, and its density makes for a longer smoke. Burley has a reputation of high nicotine; I just don't get it with this.

It is a point of departure, though, and now I prefer their tastier burleys: Golden Extra and Navy Flake. This makes a good point of reference for those wanting to explore what good basic burley is. By all means, use a burley-dedicated pipe (cob, of course) since the subtle nuances of this mixture are easily overshadowed by ghosts of stronger flavored previous smokes. Good quality stuff but ho-hum, flavor-wise.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)

Being this is the 40th review there's not a whole lot of opportunity for drama here, but I might just add that I have now just begun to make aquaintance with this tobacco after a 20 yr hiatus. Having tried this years ago, I found myself progressing to the Golden Extra and then to the Navy Flake and never looking back. I think what happened was that those latter tobaccos had more strength and the Burley seemed a bit pale by comparison. I purposely refrained from use of Navy Flake for an extended period and then opened the Burley. Now that I try this one again I recall how good it is. True, it is milder than the Golden Extra or Navy Flake but it is also smoother and has a taste that never seems to get tiresome, even in a large pipe. Highly recommended.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I used to not like this blend but for some reason I keep trying it on occasion. I think I finally have experienced some of it's appeal that others like this for. One has to smoke this as slow as possible and not to hardly rub it out. The cut is very attractive, lightly pressed thin broken cake; i.e. "Ready Rubbed". This is lightly cased, on part with honey whose fragrance can be smelled in the tin aroma. Part of the tin fragrance is also suggestive of mint. The flavor is really flat though, not much to be sensed but a sort of light mouth texture to the smoke. The aroma also has a light intensity but becomes more profound and sensed as one concentrates on slowly smoking this blend. Some even descibe this blend as having a bite. This I don't believe is due to strength, since this is as "airy" as one will encounter but is a "dry bite" from such thin body tobacco as burley so lightly cased. Consequently it has a paper-like quality to the smoke and flavor. And thats' my chief complaint that this blend needs to be more cased and slightly more sweeter to round out the smoke. Burley tobacco, specifically the "White Burley" variety was cultivated to be flavored. Burley tobacco is not like virginia leaf which has intrinsic qualities and substatial character by itself. It has to be sufficiantly flavored and processed to give it character, with burley quality alone is not enough but also what you do with it.

- Cautiously not recommended

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I tried this rubbed out blend as a change of pace from my normal VA flakes and was not disappointed. I didn't rub it out any further from the tin and still felt it burned rather quickly although evenly. It packed and lit well and a smooth, cool smoke without condensation resulted. The flavor was consistent both within a bowl and from bowl to bowl. Each must decide if this is a + or - but the important thing to me is the natural, tobacco taste. In a head to head match, I'd pick MacB's Navy Flake, that is also burley based, since it is stronger, sweeter and denser but London Blend is another enjoyable smoke.

scootertrash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootertrash (10)

This was the first quality pipe tobacco I ever smoked, and I've been smoking it for 25 years. I try other tobaccos, many of them good ones, but I always end up back to this one. I've smoked more Mac Baren's "Burley London Blend" than any other pipe tobacco. It's a great burley that is very lightly sweetened. I like Mac Baren "Ready Rubbed" cut. It looks like a flake tobacco that has barely been rubbed. I load it into the pipe as is. BLB has that great burley flavor from top to bottom of the bowl (I happen to like consistency) and never bites my tongue. BLB even smokes great while riding the motorcycle (cheap large bowl bent pipe with wind screen). I highly recommend BLB for burley lovers & also for those who think they don't like burley.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say that hasn't been said already? If you love predominantly burley blends, you'll love this tobacco. If you don't like burley blends, I think you should give LB a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised with one, great tobacco.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Pipestuds review prompted me to review this wonderful tobacco myself. I have long been a fan of this luxurious buley and have a rather large billiard dedicated specifically for this blend. This makes for a great change of pace tobacco for me any time of the year. In the summer time my love for latakia diminishes and I tend to find it quite rancid. On the other hand, in the winter months virginias just aren't quite robust enough to get me through the cold. Fortunately this lovely burley is great at any time, so I find myself always keeping it on hand. I recommed not rubbing the broken flake out any more than it already is, or else you will find that it will heat up in a hurry. This is a very tasty smoke for anytime of the day or year. Burley is a timeless classic and this is THE best burley I've ever had the pleasure of filling a pipe with.

Update: Anyone who enjoys this blend even the slightest bit owes it to him or herself to try it in a cob. I know cobs aren't the most fashionable or trendy pipes out there but BLB and a cob are a match made in heaven. In fact, the marriage between BLB and cob has prompted me to raise my recommendation from "I smoke this on occasion" to "One of my favorites..." Try it in a cob you won't regret it.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This wtih out a doubt the best pure burley blend I've ever smoked. The tin aroma is worth the price alone, a honey like smell. When I opened my first tin I knew I was in for a treat. It looks like a rubbed out flake of virginia.

The flavor is consistent all the way to the end of a bowl no surprises just a delightful clean smoke. It also smokes well in any sized pipe, helping me to utilize my larger pipes, I like using my smaller bowls for virginas. It also stores really well I've been nursing my tin for seven months and the flavor has not diminished.

In conclusion this one of the smoothest, buttery, creamy tobaccos you will find. Highly recommended.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is easily my favorite blend by MacBaren. Anyone who like burley, even a little bit, should try this one. It is to burley as ice cream is to ice milk.

The initial light reveal a slightly sweet mild flavor followed by a genuine burley taste. As the bowl approaches the middle, the flavor becomes deeper; very full. The bottom is quite intense but not bitter or unpleasant. It burns well (after several initial lights) and is well-behaved if not abused. Two thumbs all the way up!