A mild and lightly aromatic Scottish Blend, manufactured from ready rubbed, matured Virginia tobaccos and golden brown Burley grades, Cavendish and loose, ripe Virginia. Mixture is one of the most popular pipe tobaccos in the world, and is the leading brand tax free. A position which Mixture has been able to maintain through decades.

Notes: Introduced in 1958.

BrandMac Baren

2.7
Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my go to blend. It never gets boring and burns great. Just stuff a few ready rubbed pieces in the pipe and light up. No bite, if smoked slowly. Only then the flavors really shines. Smoke it hot and the smoke will become bitter and burn your mouth.

I have read some of the other negative reviews concerning this tobacco, and I think the main problem, people have with it, besides a different taste, is the packing. If you pack to tightly, the tobacco will burn hot and without taste. It needs a little space to expand and develop, so keep the draw slightly open.

review_again Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
review_again (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this blend a few months back. It's a curious blend that I almost passed without spending more time understanding. For me, this tobacco has different impressions. It can be mild and sweet if smoked very slow. It can be more robust if smoked faster. The flavor changes along with it's intensity depending how you smoke it and how one packs the pipe. It's better for me if broken up some, spread and let to dry a spell for about 30 min before loading the pipe. I find it more enjoyable smoked in a MM Diplomat cob. Lately I've been reaching more for this blend. It's become a favorite. It's, in my opinion, one of the best smokes available. You will miss how good this tobacco is unless you invest a good bit of time smoking Mixture. However, the time invested may convince you why this blends has become one of the "all time" favorites of pipe smokers. A real classic. I smoke it at least once everyday and has become one of my favorite "go too" tobacco blends. It's lovely tobacco. I always of late, keep this tobacco readily on hand.

Mr. Frogburster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Frogburster (15)

This is one of my all time favourites. A sweet, but not overly sweet, blend that never disappoints. It´s full of many different flavours, a result of the 35 different tobaccos it´s made of I guess, and seems to change slightly through the smoke. I find it impossible to get tired of this one. Goes without saying it is not a tobacco for those who hate aromatics, but still it is very "clean" to be an aromatic, and doesn´t have any artificial or chemical taste. And no bite either, if smoked correctly (pack a little bit looser, light well, but keep a slow pace when puffing, make sure to taste every puff before taking a new, don´t belch).

Tongue taste (the taste you feel on your tongue when you first get the smoke into your mouth): honeylike, round and sweet, sometimes towards the spicier side.

Snork taste (the taste when you roll the smoke around in your mouth and out of your nostrils): semi-sweet, creamy, quite full-bodied. Aromatic but with a natural tobacco taste.

All together: a tobacco that manages to combine a good taste on the tongue and "snork" (which many in my experience fail - often it is either or), and which has a full bodied, powerful but still pleasantly mild taste.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

UPDATE: I am upgrading this one to 4 stars. Only after smoking Mixture exclusively for 2 weeks did I come to fully appreciate its peppery, tangy, leathery goodness. How lovely it is! Non-smokers will still not like the room note, but for tobacco lovers it grows more delicious with every smoke.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Pleasant taste of honey and toast, with an aftertaste of tea. The Virginia delivers a slight tang. Overall, just a tad too mild and bland for my tastes, and also not the best of burners.

The room note is very pleasant for smokers but only tolerable for non-smokers due to the absence of a confectionary type of aromatic casing.

An enjoyable smoke but, all things considered, only slightly better than average. 6 out of 10. For a similar tobacco with a much fuller flavour and better aroma, as well as better burning properties, try Holland House Aromatic.

Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this blend once, and hated it. I smoked a few more ounces, and still hated. Being stubborn, I didn't toss or trade it, but stuck it on a shelf and forgot about it. I went back to it a year or so later, I I've found that it has improved...still not a regular smoke, but its better.

There are a few things that make this tobacco worth smoking. First, the taste is pleasant. Its not sweet like a good aromatic, nor is it overly complex like an English, but falls somewhere in the middle. You can definitly find the Burley and Virginias in this one, although the Cavendish doesn't really come out until you've had a bit and really start paying attention. The room note isn't great, but its relatively inoffensive as well.

On the downside, this tobacco smokes rocket-hot. If you read through the other reviews of this tobacco, you'll find that most of us agree on this point--trust the lot of us, this one needs to be smoked VERY VERY SLOW! It will either get too hold to hold the pipe, or bite you'll think your tongue was to fall off.

As I said, this isn't a great smoke, but it passes as 'ok.' If you have some on hand that you haven't opened, or have given up on it, it might be worth coming back to for a very occasional smoke. For those who haven't tried it but are considering getting some, well...honestly there are better options out there for you.

Oh, and if you do smoke it...a recommendation: only smoke it in a smallish bowl (no bigger that a group 3), or even a smallish cob...and make sure the pipe already has some cake on it. Tnis is the only way I've managed to win (or at least draw) in the battle against the heat of the burn.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This is the blend that took me from "Fruit Loop Cavendish®" to virginia flakes.

Mixture smells like nothing else. Mixture smells so good out of the tin that you'll want to take a fork and EAT the tobacco.

Mixture is waaaaay too mild for people who want something "round" with flavor. This is very mild tobacco and has to be loaded and smoked with care to be enjoyed, IMO.

The Danes have a way of explaining how to fill a pipe, it's called "plug". My experience has been that the best way to enjoy Mixture is to pull a "wad" of tobacco out of the tin and to "plug" it into a smaller bowled pipe. Don't rub it out, don't take a lot of care in loading the pipe... just take a wad out of the tin and plug it in the pipe.

Once plugged (not CRAMMED) into the pipe, light the bowl and then smoke the tobacco. Don't worry about an even burn, just light it and smoke it. If you smoke Mixture haphazardly and sip at the tobacco you'll be rewarded with a tasty, light and pleasant smoke.

If you try to treat Mixture like other flakes by rubbing it out, applying a good light to the pipe and then tamping and relighting....well, it will bite your tongue off. Period.

Hey, don't take my word for it - try it. Pull a wad out of the tin, plug it into the bowl, light the bowl and go. It'll smoke great! Try to turn Mixture into a science and rub it out, light it, tamp it, light it again... it'll turn your tongue into a blister that won't soon forgive you.

This tobacco has a very fond place in my heart and about once every three years I'll open a tin... and then I'll give it away.

If you like the taste of this mixture but hate the blisters it leaves on your tongue, buy a tin of Gawith and Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake - or, a tin of Gawith and Hoggarth Rum Flake.. both of these blends will treat you much better than Mac Baren Scottish Mixture.

But Mixture is like nothing else. The flavoring is unique. Too bad it's a tongue destroyer. Like someone else said, I give it an extra star (old system) for old times sake. I wonder if the new Flake version is as bitey as this is?

=Note: I have already reviewed this blend, but when the changes were made here at tobaccoreviews, my name somehow was removed from my review below (is there a conspiracy going on? LOL!) Anyway, this is simply a cut/paste job.=

Mac Baren's Scottish Blend is totally different than what one might expect -- unless of course, you are familiar with Danish tobacco blenders. If, for instance, you have tried McCranie's Murdock's Pipe, which is touted as a Scottish blend, and then sampled this one expecting a similar taste sensation -- well, you are going to receive a surprise. Murdock's Pipe has Latakia and Oriental tobaccos located within the blend. You will find neither here. Scottish Blend is a typical Mac Baren in that it is sweet smelling when you open the tin, and sweet tasting upon lighting. The flavor here is delightful, but keep that puffing rythem down or you will get tongue blisters. Unlike most other Mac Baren blends, this one actually has several layers of differing flavors as you work your way down the bowl. I found this to be a nice change of pace tobacco, but it is far too mild for me to consider it as regular fare.

gourmet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gourmet (13)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

It lit well, tasted good, although a bit too much of casing. One or two relights had been enough to get through the bowl (in my opinion they probably put a nice shot of artificial burner in it)

Not many surprises, not pricey, it fullfilled all my demands to become an all day smoke, untill it bit the hell out of me, when I smoked it once out on the golf course. The bowl did not get hot, anyway it burnt down quite fast, which of course is normal when smoked outdoors.

After this experience, no matter of what tabacco I smoked and how slowly I puffed, my tongue always got barbecued on the same side. I had to stop pipesmoking for a couple sof years, and now I am "back in business". At least one thing I have learnt: I choose good quality leaves, which are unlikely to bite, when smoked carefully. There are many tabaccos out there, on the this fantastic database.

If you are looking for a similar smoke like Mixture, but with almost no casing and pure tabacco taste, and way better harmonized, I would highliy recommend: Dafidoff - Flake Medaillons

Spitfire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spitfire (2)

For me,Mac Baren Scottish mixture is the best pipe tobacco every day for 15 years, smoked a little dry in a Savinelli pipes bing's favorite( long shape ) is the best compromise for a fresh and cool smoked tobacco.Is really worth to be mastered..... Mixture Scottish Tobacco is for men only. Not recommended for anxious children.Thanks

Spinerazor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spinerazor (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I have been working on a tin i opened a few weeks back from the mid 70's i got online... after opening it it looked promising, still moist and it was a beautiful deep aged tobacco smell and beautifully dark in color.... then i smoked it...i have to say no matter how this is packed, how its smoked, dried out, fresh, slow puff, fast, any way what so ever i try and in any pipe it makes my mouth light up like no other tobacco i have ever smoked... this stuff is brutal, its almost like its a chemical reaction with me, i wanted to like it because the current version of this isn't so bad and i quite like it, but this aged one i'm tossing in the trash... that's my 2 cents.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

very good change of pace from non aromatics i must say. the tobacco blend is composed of broken flake cut or ready rubbed if you will, makes up for a relaxing long smoke. the tobacco burns very clean and deliver a consistent taste of burly and virginia (the latter being more dominant). it has a decent nic kick to it if you want to take it a notch higher from aromatics offerings. this can be an all day smoke tobacco if you are not looking to impress your surroundings.

TheWanderingRecluse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWanderingRecluse (4)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Those that like the mild, sweet taste/smell of aromatics will also enjoy this blend. The best description of smell and taste thus far has been "honeyed toast". It's sweet, but slightly heady, has a great flavor and smell throughout the bowl. Flavor isn't lost throughout the smoke. Love it.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)

This could be a all day smoke for me i love this stuff. The tin aroma is i personaly got a ftuity, sweet tea smell for it. As for taste well this tastes great to my tounge i taste a good amount of sweetness kind of a lemon, honey, spicey flavor from it. This is my favorite blend im rotaion right now. Even if your not an aromatic fan i think this is one blend everyone should try atleast once beaucse its a classic

Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this from a tin labeled Scottish Mixture. I'm glad they changed the name because there is nothing Scottish about this. True Scots would laugh at this.

Not much to add to the other reviews so I'll highlight:

- Bland taste with a hint of sweetness

- Smokes very hot unless you're extremely careful - more careful than this blend warrants.

- No goopiness in pipe after smoking.

- Boring. Aside from the tongue bite, there's nothing inherently wrong with this, but there's not much to recommend it, either. I give tobaccos 1 star if I absolutely detest them. This gets 1.75, rounded up to 2. But if you like mostly bland, slightly sweet Danish blends, give this a try... SLOWLY!

well tampered clavier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
well tampered clavier (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Hmm a no name scotch of the tobacco world. bland or just messy... I enjoyed it once or twice but quite simply would rather smoke something else. a broken flake that packs and burns well out of the pouch. tongue bite.... go easy or you'll scorch your face... not a tobacco for me i'm affraid

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a complex product, whose value I hesitate to ascertain. Sometimes, while smoking it in small-bowled unfiltered pipes, I have found it wonderful, variegated in flavour; other times I have found it way too hot-burning and charr-tasting. Yet whenever I smoke it in large-bowled, filtered pipes it tastes cool and fragrant.

Its not a waste of money, but can also be a sub-optimum choice, depending on your mastery of the puffing art. A most subjective tobacco.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm new to pipe smoking. I've started not only to reduce my cigarette abuse (from about 30 a day to half of that) but also because I enjoy a long lasting smoke, and I'm now fully converted to the pipe.

So far, I've only tried a few tobaccos, and Mixture was my first one... and I still go at it some times.

I've never experienced the infamous tongue bite with any tobacco (and I've been smoking 3 bowls a day over the last few months), but Mixture burns too hot. It has some sweetness (from the Virginias, as I´ve learned with your reviews) but in an appealing way to the ex-cigarette smokers.

However, when this pouch in finished (the 2nd I bought) I´ll only return to it if nothing better is available. My main problem with Mixture is that I find it very harsh on the throat. (maybe because my weed is too dry?)

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

This tobacco is not bad and not good. It's very middle of the road. If you're out of tobacco, stranded on an airport somewhere, you can buy it. They sell it almost everywhere. The 'famous' McBaren bite is onlt there when you puff to hard/fast.

Mick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mick (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

A bland and uninspiring smoke. Only one star from me for this one. It is something to smoke if there isn't anything better around, not unbearable or unsmokeable, just boring.

TeeBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TeeBee (19)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

McB is one of the brands you can find almost anywhere here i Sweden, but IMW that doesn't make it a quality brand (one other brand is Borkum Riff...). I don't know if I just had bad luck but the pouch I bought did not live up to my demand of quality. Dry, tasteless, lack of aroma and with a cruel tongue bite.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Once more, an outstanding bakkie from MacBaren, very nice pouch aroma, nice ready rubbed brown and medium brown flakes with loose cuts of golden and black leaves.

A nice caramel pouch aroma, mixed with the more natural hay smell of the golden VA.

the filling is easy, the lightin up easy, and the taste is more on the natural tobacco side then the aromatic. The room note is welcomed by the people present.

But, it smokes hot and bites, however I try to give it due attention!

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

This was my most recent and final dealing with Mac Baren products.

In the unlikely event that anyone cares to read my opinion on ANY Mac Baren's blend, please cut and paste the following review:

This is a blend of quality tobaccos, nicely flavored that BURNS HOT and BITES.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)

To me the aroma reminds me of Chocolate,Honey, And perhaps Maple. I find this blend smokes best from a medium sized pipe. very little tongue bite, and stays lit. This is a wonderful aromatic, but still has that great tobacco flavor. Also I might add you can get this stuff in a Limited Edition Can.

Update!! After More than test smoking this blend, I feel I must downgrade this some. I find after smoking back to back bowls, it leaves my mouth dry. I still really like this blend, but not an all day smoke.

clifswin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clifswin (8)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tobacco for the smoker who prizes moderation. Its smell in the tin is pleasant, grassy, and fresh. Its flavor is much the same, if smoked with care. The casing is always present, but light enough to let the flavors of the tobaccos, dominated by the Virginias, through.

I first tried this as a run-up to our club's annual slow smoke. I'd noticed that it was the tobacco used for the national contest in Chicago last year, and thought it likely that our club would pick it as well, since they seem to follow the national's lead. I was right. In practicing for the contest, I quickly found out that unless smoked very gently it burned my tongue like a welding torch. Smoked gently, lips parted, in a small bowl, it rewards you with a pleasant and (for a flavored tobacco) complex smoke. A good choice for the slow smoke, as smoking it too quickly just don't work. As you pass the midbowl and come to the bottom, the tendency to bite is diminished, though, and it's on this that I blame my fourth-place finish. I just forgot myself.

As I said, moderation is the theme. This isn't a tobacco that's much of anything but the middle of it all. Not bombastic, not strongly flavored, the only intense experience here is the pain you'll feel if you smoke it carelessly. Just the same, it's a pleasant smoke that remains a pleasant smoke to the bottom of the bowl. I'm not going to go out of my mind stockpiling it, but I expect I'll always keep some on hand. Like a turkey sandwich, it's not something terribly outstanding, but sometimes it's just what hits the spot - in the middle.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

MacBaren's Scottish Mixture is a decent enough tobacco, but it's not really what I think of as a Scottish mixture. To me, a true Scottish mixture is more akin to an English or Balkan blend, with plenty of Latakia and heavy on the Orientals. This Danish version of a Scottish blend has neither. On its own merits, what MacBaren calls Scottish Mixture is mild and sweet, bordering on the aromatic. There is a pleasing light natural Virginia sweetness here, with a very faint underlying mustiness that's not unpleasant and even helps temper the sweetness a little. Throughout the bowl, there's a strong, sweet heather honey flavor that's typical of MacBaren's Cavendish-containing mixtures; there's a definite family relationship with MacB's Symphony noted here. I'm always impressed with the quality of the Burley MacBaren uses; its flavor always seems smoother and cleaner than a lot of other brands' Burleys, and it never leaves a bitter aftertaste as some do. This is very reasonably priced in its bulk version. Not much nicotine punch here, but this one will bite if puffed vigorously. It's not something I keep on hand, but I do find it an enjoyable "change-of-pace" smoke on occasion.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

I got a sample of this in bulk, as the tins are approx. $20.00 in my area. Once I opened the pouch, I smelled tart Red Virginias and Burley with some odd topping. Once lit, it tasted and smoked similar to Flying Dutchman and Skandinavik, although made of better tobacco stock. Since I do not enjoy those blends I will stop there.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)

Mixture is a well put togther smoke using quality leaf. Yes the Cavendish peeks out at times, then will come the burley, then a hit of sweet Virginia all enveloped in the Mac Baren "taste" Is that honey? The above experience will then be followed up with the taste of whatever liquid I can find to put out the fire on my tongue. Why do Mac Baren tobacco's bite so badly? The only one I can smoke without problems is their Navy Flake, which is, in my opinion, one of the finest smokes around. 2 stars..Would give it 1 for "not my cup of tea" but the quality of the tobacco warrents a 2. If you can keep the fire in the bowl rather then on your tongue you may enjoy this one. Good Luck!

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Highly recommended for those who enjoy a good tasting Danish type tobacco and who don't mind severe tongue bite. All other should seek elsewhere.

supersmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
supersmoke (12)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I purchased this in bulk form along with some Symphony of which I did not like.

Emptied the pack into my pouch on a Saturday morning and after initial misgivings, probobly due to experiance I had with the Symphony I had no problem with going back to the pouch for more. Smokes best in a medium sized pipe, seemed to stay lit quite well, without burning away.

The virginias are all there, and bring out the taste of the Burley,it is a traditional tobacco.

Pipe gets a bit hot if you are not carefull, probobly not a tobacco for the beginner.

I would buy it again if I find it on offer

Bowser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bowser (13)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I couldn't quite figure out what this stuff smelled like in the pouch; the closest I can come is to liken it to old, dried-out potpourri. The smell notwithstanding, I gave it a go.

A lot of reviewers had a problem with this stuff biting the tongue. This only occured on my second bowl. My biggest problem with Mixture is that it has no taste whatsoever. Except for the nasty sour taste it imparted to the pipe, that is. You might as well just puff on an unloaded pipe; it'll give you the same taste, minus the nasty sourness, and smoke much cooler.

"Explore the world of MacBaren," they say. I'm reasonably sure my exploration of that world has come to an abysmal conclusion.

dtcb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtcb (13)

The reviews on this page are what allowed me to give "Mixture" a positive recommendation. I was better prepared before I smoked for its requirements. Thanks everyone.

Firstly, I agree with the packaging: "mild and light." This is fine by me because "mild and light" has its place and it does not necessarily mean 'tasteless'. There is enough flavor there to keep you (which I found came at me from different angles after a few sessions).

I bought a 50g satchel of "Mixture" for a local shop after my imported supply ran out. I live in Hong Kong and there are few tobacconists who carry pipe tobacco (think Cigar shops with $100USD cigars but only "Captain Black" pouches in the corner collecting dust....hell on this earth). There is one local shop here that carries more than one packet but, I am nervous of the mass produced tobaccos (label 'aromatics').

I packed it too loose at first, fearing tongue bite. But, then stuffed the bowl a bit more ambitiously the second time (w/ second pipe) and it walked along on its own taking the occassional puff here and there. It is forgiving if you are trying not to pack a furnace ( to save your tongue a good burning). Just pinching and stuffing a bowl was definitely liberating.

I Tried it on 3 different pipes (corncob-Washington, Canadian, and a Churchwarden). The first two pipe utilized during and evenings pub crawlings and the third at home on the balcony ( a churchwarden in public: never).

Did I suffer tongue bite; only once, and midly at that. It had more to do with the end of an evening in which I was favoring equal parts alcohol and tobacco. I tend to draw on a pipe deeply after a few drinks. I slipped and packed the Canadian unconsciously as I would any other bowl (methodically). Half way through and a few deep draws and I was burned. I had to set the pipe down several times due to its heat as well. That will teach me.

But, without distraction and knowing "Mixtures" requirements; tongue bite does not become an issue. As others have mentioned; a loose packed bowl and you can really enjoy it. And it's subtle nature has me contemplating it as an all day smoke.

afi6to8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
afi6to8 (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Having read previous reviews before trying this blend, I followed suggestion, barely rubbing it, and packing the bowl lightly. It had a very pleasant aroma prior to lighting, and actually lit just as nicely. The first couple puffs produced an enjoyable flavor. Unfortunetly that is where my praise for this weed ends. Being forwarned that it tended to burn rather hot, I smoked it very gently, and still received a slight scorch to the tongue. What was amazing about this smoke, was the fact my pipe actually became to hot to handle, beofre my tongue was completely burnt. I was not even able to finish 3/4's of the bowl before writing this off as a blend for the saintly patient. I enjoy savoring a pipe as much as the next guy, but as people before me have said... this blend isn't worth the delayed gratification. On the upside, I only tried this as a sample provided with an order for several english blends that I will be running back to later this evening. One star.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like your tobacco mild, this is for you. Oh, and heed well the wisdom of OSR's review regarding the biting potential of this blend. I wish I had read that before I smoked it.

MacB claims to have over 35 dofferent tobaccos in this one. Unfortunately, none of them have any real flavor.

The flavor that is there is pleasant, just not enough of it for me.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Scottish Mixture is a Danishy-sweet, roughly broken-up VA blend with bits of BC scattered throughout. Expect an unusually hot start, a tolerably decent middle smoke, and a hotter end.

The "nuances of taste that keep changing all from a single tamp" promised on the tin never seem to appear---at least to the level of objectively affirming this claim---and the experience is more like what one would expect from a Danish-topped VA flake that tends to burn too hotly: Sweet and sharp at best, and a rain of saccharine, powdered sugar pin-pricks on the tongue at worst.

When smoked with an open mind, and with a patient cadence, there are some nice flavors and a decent smoke to be had from Scottish Mixture. Without these, be prepared to be disappointed---and possibly scorched.

UPDATE: After experimenting with this blend for over a month now, I've found that it seems to suffer the least negative effects when smoked in a smaller billiard, say a group 2; I've dedicated a little Grabow to this and the results are much more pleasing---a softer smoke, with far less sharpness and bite, and more subtle flavor. Slight and patient puffing is still required, however.

prinakis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prinakis (13)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tobacco to expensive for what it is. Sometimes i liked it a bit, sometimes it's boring. The taste gets better at the end of the bowl, but getting dry quickly in the pouch,plus, the pipe's getting very wet with this one. I don't think that's the tobacco you can buy 2 times, why? because it';s to boring!!

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This is one of the bestsellers worldwide, so it's something you will stumble upon sooner or later. I did, and though I wasn't expecting much, it wasn't really THAT bad. MacBaren are true masters in manufacturing burley and cavendish, and this is a good proof. Not biting, if you don't rush it of course, but you might want to dry it before packing. Something you can smoke absent-mindedly without regrets.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

This blend has a great aroma and flavor. However, it is very tempermental, dry and really prone to bite the tounge if not smoked with the greatest of trepidation. Concentrating fully on sipping this very, very slowly is a must to enjoy this blend.

tavancleave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tavancleave (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I began smoking Mac Baren Mixture after trying it at a tasting. After smoking nearly half a bowlful I was eager to purchase a tin. I brought the tin home and let it sit for nearly a month. I couldn't wait to smoke this tobacco. After opening the tin, loading up, and then smoking half the bowl my tongue was on fire. Being a novice smoker I decided that I had done something wrong and that was the cause of my fried tongue. Every so often I give it a try and I get the same result. The tobacco smells great and if I could keep from burning myself I speculate that the taste would be wonderful. Until I find a solution to the fire in my mouth I believe this blend is suspect to oral arson.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)

As one reviewer put it, this stuff tastes sweet for a while, then like smoked fish for a while, then sweet for a while, etc. Mixture is tasty once it has dried out a little, but I find myself wishing for either more strength or less sweetness most of the time. I like Mac Baren blends (with a few exceptions), and I like Mixture. That being said, it ain't the Holy Grail of pipe tobacco.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This an ok blend but honestly nothing to write home about. It smells like your typical Macbaren blend honey like overtones etc.. It was way too easy to push to burn hot. It tastes ok but, something in this blend maybe the topping just cooked the roof of my mouth. After a bowl of this my mouth felt like I was chewing on fiberglass. I'm sure it works for some people, just not for me.

Florida Esquire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Florida Esquire (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This mixture suffers from something many other reviewers have hit on, and something that is characteristically "MacBaren" about all of the MacBaren blends - it burns rather hot and has a pretty significant bite to it. It can be controlled with watching how you smoke it, but that really does require more attention than this particular tobacco is worth.

It also has a sweetness to it that is present from the first opening of the tin, and generally remains as you smoke the entire bowl.

All in all, there are better alternatives out there should you wish to endeavor to try "Scottish" mixtures. This one is one you should probably pass on. It's simply not worth it.

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Nice room aroma....burns well if smoked slowly after a loose packing. This is not the most complex of taste sensations, but I truly like stonger blends. This could be a good "Cutting your teeth" blend for those who would like a mild smoke, or for me, a nice mild smoke when others are just too much for me on any particular day.

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Always the tongue-bite with MacBaren. Could they manufacture a tobacco that does not bite, I wonder? I cannot remember to have ever finished a pouch of MacBaren tabacco. For those who like the english, not recommended.

pedro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pedro (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Like Many Mac Baren tabaccos it's been well "artificially" treated and it burns so well and hot that you can't do anything but puff it real slowly.

It's got a nice honey taste throughout the bowl, which can get boring after a while.

If you choos it as an all day smoke you'll get bitten unless you have a leather tongue.

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)

This was my first experience with a blend that emphasized virginias as a beginning smoker, and the main attraction (besides the then exotic idea of knowing what the Scots smoked) was that you got twice the tobacco for the money (and still do in many places). Not bad stuff if you are very, very care in the early phase of the smoke till it cools down, and it settles into being a competent, if unspectacular smoke. Smoke it all day and be prepared to put an organ donor tag on your tongue though, it will bite you bigtime if you puff too hard. Not a prime time player, but good enough, and better than few of the virginia blends that cost more that I've tried.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

A good smoke but overated. Lacks taste and nicotine. Burley, VA., and Black cav. It's typically a good combination but this particular blend tastes like there is somthing missing. Even the room note lacks something. The pros of this blend are, it smokes cool and it don't leave aromatic goop in your pipe.

Henry B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry B (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I was tempted to buy a pouch of this after trying a couple of other Mac Baren blends, that I had smoked years ago and found to be rather nice. I remembered this blend to be quite a tasty Vigrinia-Burley mixture with a nice sweet topping, but after trying it again now, it was not able to live up to its memory.

The initial flavor was bland, I could almost detect no Burley at all and it started to bite after ten minutes. It smoked quite wet too, but that could be cured by adjusting, of course. I don't know if I got a bad pouch or something. I will try it again in a few months. For now I will stay away from it.

I think my impressions of this blend run a bit closer to what lustra says in his review, although tantric also had some interesting thoughts. I liked the taste okay, but my puffing cadence is just too frequent to keep the heat down. If there was a way to cool down MacBaren blends, three or four of them would be my favorites. Only problem I have with their stuff is that I need an asbestos sheath covering my tongue in order to enjoy them.

If you are a slow puffer and like a little flavoring in your tobacco, this MacBaren blend may be a home run for you. I couldn't make it past 2nd base.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

This is a quality tobacco with a nice uncomplicated subtly sweet taste. I usually want another bowl of this as soon as I've smoked one. I don't keep it on hand, though, because it just smokes too hot for me. Although there are MANY Mac Baren blends that smoke hotter than this one, it just doesn't offer enough to make up for the trouble it takes to smoke it. IMHO. I much prefer Mac Baren's Navy Flake or Vanilla Cream for a tobacco that tastes like a Mac Baren but with less tendency to char my tongue.

arnie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arnie (4)

my sample is of the pouch variety with the new macbaren design. i have no experience with the old packaging, and i hear that with some macbaren blends, the contents also changed along with the packaging.

pre-light smell: in the pouch, this smells sweet in a candy-like and almost medicinal way, like tutti-frutti cough syrup flavoring, but more pleasant. almost no distinguishable tobacco nuances here.

appearance: well-broken flake, inch-long ribbons with some very small pieces. there are also quite a few unusable inch-long hard stalks in there.

loading: whatever flakes remain are very easy to rub out. in any case, loading is easy because of the small pieces. it "loads itself". i usually have to do only 2 layers because there's very little compression needed for the 1st layer.

the smoke: this pouch was opened 5 months ago and it's a bit drier (and better) now. lighting was no problem, and from the first puff i got a pleasantly large, thick, satisfying amount of smoke. flavorwise though, the tobacco taste is quite mild. what i'm getting here is body, maybe from the burley. there is sweetness, but hardly a natural VA sweetness, more of the medicine-flavor kind (which is better than it sounds). the VA does make its presence known in the tongue bite. it bears smoking carefully because of this.

when in the zone it is complex and interesting enough, with honey and fruit sweetness and sourness, plus some nutty nuances. if you pay attention, you'll even get whiffs of the actual tobacco flavor. unfortunately, i find that the zone straddles a fine line between tongue bite and the cherry going out. even when smoked carefully, my tongue still feels raw at the end of the smoke.

also, i recommend smoking this in a small to medium bowl because i find no appreciable development from first light to last puff so it might get boring in a big pipe. it does burn clean and dry to the bottom.

the strength of this tobacco is in its body, not flavor. still, it's good to have every once in a while.

Aris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aris (8)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

HIGEST RECOMENDATIONS?I Dont think so... You will Burn your mouth every time!For sure!!!HIGHEST WARNING!

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A pretty good leaf. I picked up a tin a few days ago, and am pleased with the mixture. The smell upon opening was sweet (much like Navy Flake) and a tad fruity, reminding me of raisins. The texture is that of a rubbed-out flake.

The tabac packed well and lit fine. The aroma was pleasant. I enjoyed the way the taste changed as I worked through the bowl. There's a slight "spicyness" that was particularly nice. Towards the bottom of the bowl moisture began to become an issue, but that could likely be fixed by airing it out a while before firing up. Either that, or maybe a bit more self-discipline...

Smoke this guy slow. It does smoke on the hot side, but I found that with a little self-discipline, this is a most enjoyable smoke. I'll be keeping this one around awhile. I'm going to set a tin aside for a year or two to see how it ages....

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (72)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I don't like reviewing tobaccos as popular as MacBaren Mixture as it can so easily happen that one's thoughts are lost in the deluge of other opinions. MacBaren Mixture is decidedly popular, among the most popular in the world, I am told; all the same I smoked two 100g tins of the stuff that I was given as a gift and so I may as well hold forth until twenty or so other reviews overtake me.

I can see why Mixture is so often smoked. It is an utterly pedestrian aromatic with absolutely nothing to frighten anybody off. It is the basic combination of Burley, Virginia, and Cavendish all working under a soft and simple aromatic casing that tastes much like every aromatic the Danes put out: not quite fruit-like and not at all lingering or invigorating. More like powdered sugar and baking spices.

What I didn't like about this mixture called Mixture was its inconsistent performance in the pipe. Throughout the day I could have one smoke that was passable and even pleasant only to find the next to be harsh, hot and even a little bitter. Pipe smoking has become a very individual pursuit and there is no reason for a company as good as MacBaren to make an attempt at an everyman's tobacco when they make so many other distinguished blends.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Oh, well, one has to try the classics at least once in his life... This tobacco has a great reputation in the Scandinavian countries, and is renowned for being a blend with a delicate taste: a symphony of 35 different varieties with no one taking dominant position over the others. The pouch aroma is nutty-honeyish, similar to McBaren Navy Flake and other tobaccos of this brand: typically Danish, due no doubt to the heavy processing (but no goopy casing, unlike modern aromatics). You can find ribbon, broken flake... quite an irregular cut. Anyway, after a few seconds the tobacco lights well and stays lit, burning regularly, slowly, with no moisture or bite. Yes, while everyone says that MacBaren products bite, I think that they don't deserve such a fame. Ok, maybe if you rush them or smoke them regularly... but in my case I had no problems at all. The problem I DO have, is that Mixture is extremely bland and boring: it's not bad, and if you puff slowly you will find a delicate taste similar to the pouch aroma (quite naturally sweet, unobtrusive), a great room note (my wife says it is excellent, and she usually complains!). But I can't find much satisfaction in this: I want something tastier. For example, Mac Baren's Navy Mixture is certainly nuttier and more enjoyable, as is Navy Flake. Plain old Mixture is the typical tobacco for easy, casual smoking: the tobacco that some old timers use as "all day blend", and that some young ones use as a light "socially acceptable" tobacco. Not bad, but give me some Balkan Sobranie or a robust pure Virginia flake instead!

UPDATE 29/07/2006: I have smoked Mac Baren Mixture several times again (I received 5 pouches as a gift) and I must say it truly ain't bad! With slow smoking and it it's not too dry, it's a pleasant, sweet tobacco. It can be a bit mouth-drying, but in a small pipe it's quick and enjoyable smoke. Honeyish but not cloying, fragrant and interesting. A good balance between natural Virginia taste, some burley nuttiness and a moderate cavendish sweetness. Definitely one of the nicest pouch "aromatics" around. As such, I am raising my recommendation.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It is a MacBaren tobacco product. Hot, harsh, and vanilla like.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Hoter than a poker! Tastes,and smells like some one went to the bathroom in it.Though I wouldn't know what that tasted like,but might suspect.I wouldn't smoke this if it were the last tobacco on earth.I'd rather smoke grape vines.

bumbum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bumbum (20)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

A tobacco, which I would recommend to no one, except my worst enemy!

Mac Baren is one of the few brands you can find commercially in my country. I have always found its blends prepared with top grade tobaccos, but quite mild and sweetish (even its Latakia mixture tends to taste like truffles!), hence almost always leading to different degrees of tongue bite. Mixture-Scottish blend seems to be an exception. Slightly above the mild line (though not quite a medium strength tobacco), and not really sweet, it is composed of a variety of tobaccos and cuts that make it intriguing. There are, of course, small strands of black Cavendish with little or no flavouring at all, different types of Burley (an element which undoubtedly will dissuade the highly esteemed Eulenburg from trying it, or liking it!), and matured Virginias, some of it in broken flake form.

The tobacco texture is soft and pleasant to look at and, at least in the pouch (there is a tin version I have not yet tried), it has a slightly honey-on-toast aroma, a peculiarity that wears off if allowed to air for a few hours. I believe there could be some PG in it, but the tobacco is not at all moist or goopy. Rubbing it out a little, it facilitates the packing. I tried this in a Stanwell Golden Danish free hand.

The first few puffs reveal a slightly sharp taste, albeit rather sweet. Drawing very slowly for fear of tongue bite, the mixture burns dry and smoothly. By the ¾ bowl mark, the initial sweet undertones are replaced by a toasty flavour, a little bitter, but not at all unpleasant. No need to relight. By mid bowl, the different components seem to be better integrated, yet there is still a certain amount of competition between the black Cavendish and the Burleys, keeping the Virginias on the background. By the end of the bowl, there is the full flavour of a well balanced tobacco. Nothing extraordinary, definitely not an all day smoke, but a good pipe tobacco for a change of pace. It is a little bit harsh on the palate, but not terribly bad.

I think this is a mixture that would be enjoyed by those who want to break from strong cased aromatics without standing up to pure Virginia or Latakia based mixtures, or else by former cigarette smokers who would like to venture into the pipe experience.

erkantural Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erkantural (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

UPDATE: Every time i smoke this, i catch something new. It's smoothly sweet and peppery at the same time. Behind the main earthy smoke you feel some whiskey taste. It looks like it's going to be one of my favourites.

FIRST ENTRY: A fine, everyday blend. Though, if you smoke it hot it bites and burns as usual.

Tobacco taste and smell is not covered with aroma. Infact, i have not detected any aroma at first. But as you smoke more, you want it more. Maybe it was because the first time i smoked this i was in the middle of "after 20 years, i'm done with the you Cigarette; burn in hell" period. This blend was my saviour during that time. Seriously, quitting to smoke cigarettes is something like letting go of a long relationship with a wicked woman thay you had once loved and hated. You loved, you had some of the most important times in your life together, after many years it turned into misery, you wanted to break up, somehow you couldn't. At that point, Scottish Blend Mixture was there for me. At first it was quite a challange not to inhale; but hey, it satisfied my hunger for lust..ehm need for nicotine. And it did that smoothly.

I know it's not supposed to be so dramatic since it's not a supersonic blend. However, you can never go wrong by trying it.

Pipe Used: Sahin, Savinelli

Purchased From: Istanbul Ataturk Airport

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (59)

Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend Made in Denmark by Mac Baren Tobacco Imported by Sutliff Tobacco Company

35 different Tobaccos from across the world including but not limited to Virginians, Burley, Cavendish ???

Tin Notes: Rich Tobacco Smells with the slight aroma of a sweet topping Broken Flake = almost ready rubbed but does require preparation before loading Good Moisture Content right out of the tin

I have smoked this tobacco for several months now thanks to Stormy for sending me a sample and have since that time purchased a few tins and a 1 pound bag to jar up. It does seem to change with age ( i will be interested to see what a couple years does to this stuff )

Smoking: This is the type of tobacco that you need to set aside for those times when you can sit back and enjoy some peace and quiet. I think this is a blend that may be best when smoked slowly in a large diameter shallow pipe. Slowly just sip on it. Almost every time i have smoked this blend i get slightly different opinion of it ( sometimes good sometimes not so good )

Room Note: Fair

Overall My 5 Star Rating = 3 on a good day

Pipe Used: Pipestone Rock Cob, Corn Cob, Clay and Briar

Age When Smoked: new and old

Purchased From: pipesandcigars, 4noggins, jrcigars and sutliff

Herr_Bumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Herr_Bumm (4)

Ok, this is my first tobacco review, and even in English... The MB Mixture Scottish Blend was one of the first tobaccos I got when I started smoking the pipe about two years ago after a few (pretty bad) heavy aromatics. Since then it has become a regular smoke for me, but since I only smoke maximum one pipe a day, some weeks might pass without it.

It's a classic danish mixture, the colors in the mixture range from yellow to orange to light brown and dark brown and black, the smell is a mixture of the used tobaccos with a slightly sweet, honey-ish topping. Moisture out of the tin is a little to much and makes the tobacco burn pretty soggy, so I usually let it air for a couple of hours. Contains rather large chunks of flake tobacco, which I usually rub out before filling, so the tobacco burns cooler und dryer; otherwise it might get hot and pretty bitey.

Taste while smoking is sweetish and full-bodied, well-balanced between tobacco and flavouring, which reminds of honey. Taste and strength gets more after about half of the bowl. Would consider the strenght mild at first but medium in the last third of the bowl.

Solid tobacco imo if it doesnt get too hot, rather cheap and easy to get. But have to admit the honey-flavoring gets too much for me after a few bowls so I usually take a break and smoke something else for a while until I get back to MB Mixture.

Stiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stiff (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was looking for a fair-priced mild aromatic for my everyday smoke and I found it in Mac Baren Mixture. A nutty/creamy note, the taste tends to evolve throughout the bowl in a pleasant way. Requires some drying before smoking as it is slightly moist from the pouch and a ready rubbed cut. As mentioned in other reviews, try to overcome the urge to hit harder as the taste is very mild and all you'll get is a tongue-bite from the Va. One negative point: it dirties pipes, fast! Cleaning required every other pipe. It might just be me, but I think it needs to be said. Okay blend, especially for the price.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (54)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great all day smoke, nutty , slightly sweet and peppery this baccy have a great natural flavour with a bit of sweet casing (less honey than Navy Flake). Lovely

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (9)

A nice mixture of Mac Baren. It doesn't tire you while smoking. Burns nice and slow. If you like flavouring then don't try this one. It's like "Yayladag" but yayladag has a better flavour.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I think that this is a blend that will either be an immediate favorite, or one that you'll never touch again. The mysterious part of smoking this tobacco, is that the way it behaves seems to depend amazingly on the pipe it's smoked in. When the combo is right, it's a pleasant smoke. When wrong, you'll be looking for an oral fire extinguisher.

Since there's nothing to tell beforehand, I have to say that this one goes in the "I don't think so" column.

I'm just finishing up a 3.5 ounce tin that is most likely as old or even older than 1985, and have not had a recent "vintage" to compare it to. I will say that Mac Baren is a brand that holds limited interest to me when it is young, but when it gets to be 20 years old or more, I like it so much that I seek it out and buy it whenever I can find the old tinnings. Though the roll cakes are my favorites when it comes to Mac Baren old or new, I must say this is one fine old tobacco. I really get more of a fruit scent from the tin itself than the alcohol/liquor noted in the blend description above, but for me very little of this comes out in the smoke. I may get more complexity from the roll cakes, but this, at least at around 30 years old, is a mild, pleasant, and smooth smoke, and there is no hint of bite, even if I puff heavily (though usually I have found this one best at just a normal smoking rate).

I still have a tin in reserve, and I'll probably hold off opening it, though I doubt it could change all that much more at this point. I guess I'll eventually have to try a new tin at some point, just to see if the mixtures do indeed change with that kind of age on them as much as the roll cakes; I have had old and new tinnings of a couple of those side by side, and 20 or 30 years turns them into something different altogether!

devinci40 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
devinci40 (4)

I love this blend. I cant remember a time when I didnt have a tin of this laying around, I remember the day I picked this stuff up for the first time.. It was also the day I gave up cigs. I think this is a great tobak to introduce someone to pipe smoking. Let this air out until it feels dry or it has a somewhat sour taste,Rub it out slightly and you are rewarded with a creamy warm smoke, well rounded and ever changing.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (30)

Mixture Scottish Blend is of the understated, unassuming type. My initial impressions, very early on in my pipe smoking days, were similar to those of Gus Tation below.

So what exactly changed in the intervening time, enough to warrant my giving this blend top honours? I can attribute it only to the gain of experience, along with a slow and steady improvement in smoking technique.

Packed loosely and puffed slowly (in small sips), Mixture is just about ideal: mellow, mild, fragrant, and full of interesting flavours. And the coarse cut burns slowly and economically. A sensational value considering the quality and variety of tobaccos used.

Mixture is subtle, so there's a strong temptation to puff hard and fast to gain more flavour. Especially if one is accustomed to stronger, full-bodied tobaccos. But this is a horrible mistake, because the high concentration of Virginia tobaccos will scorch the tongue and result in bitterness.

One hopes that Gus Tation will one day join his mentor and embrace the commandment to "Love all", including even the Mac Baren line of tobaccos. Much joy awaits him if he does.

Taraban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taraban (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Awful, never again! // I can smoke it, I won't buy it // = Quite good, worth trying // * Must-have, I'm happy

Mikepipesmokers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikepipesmokers (6)

One of the best tobacco every day for over 10 years for me. it will always lead to a good smoked simple, rich, and easy day after day after returning to source all the joyfullescape the kingdom pipe tobacco blend. A tobacco mixture scottish blend subtly honey spicey aromatic has the natural flavor. 100% satisfaction for smokers who seeks stability easy all the time. .Highly Recommended. Yep ... I recommend 1hour or drying tobacco air to its maximum fresh flavor and nicotine perfect Punch. Please smoke mixture gently and slowly it will eventually seduce you..Best product, tin 100g 250g.Enjoy

Mattias1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mattias1981 (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The taste can vary greatly due to the large number of different tobaccos in this mixture. Sometimes very pleasant, sometimes not!!

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I have now smoked several Mac Baren offerings and will not review them any further since they are extremely not to my liking. If interested in my thoughts about their line of tobaccos then just see my review on Burley London, it pretty much sums up this vapid weed give or take a slight aromatic difference (vanilla, cherry etc...).

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice spicy smoke. Best McB's i've tried so far. I picked up a pack which must have been a couple of years old as it opened up fairly dry. It certainly tastes like there are 35 different tobaccos in it, as a profusion of flavours that flow onto the palate when gently smoked.

Good all day smoke and very reasonably priced ($9 for 100grams is less than half the price of many fancier brands). I will order some tins to cellar before prices go up.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

It's a good all day smoke. It is straight and in a good sense, it is simple. Recommended!

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is what I call a tricky weed.

One of my first pouches as a pipe lover...it was a revelation, a straight, simple, easy and affordable smoke, nutty and creamy but sincere. This first pouch ended soon.

I boought a second pouch before this summer and had it cellared till I opened it yesterday. Incredibly disastrous, my tongue is still suffering the bites. Barely reached half of the bowl.

Both of the times the tobacco was too dry to smoke it without some vapor rehidr.

Will have to give a 3rd try to learn some more...essentially because a lot of you fellow pipesmokers like it and that should be a point.

UPDATE - I must update it and rate it 3 stars. I always had it further rubbed out and was completely wrong. I packed my last two bowls straight out of the pouch, pressing some broken flake one on another and topping with just a hint of debris. What i got now is a mellow, slow burning and sweet sweet blend. Cavendish and ripe Virginia finally lead the way. I didn't really expect it from a Mac baren pouch product but it's allright.

grumpyoldprofessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grumpyoldprofessor (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

A great blend, escpecially for daily smokers. Smoke it slowly and don't try to puff harder in search of any strong flavors, there arent any. It's just a good blend of many different types of tobacco that come together for one smooth light taste. Hasn't bitten me yet and never ceases to please. Has a definite tobacco flavor with a bit of the MB honey and spice taste.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It smells good in the tin, like honey comb, but not like tobacco. It is weak in strength, burns hot and peppery.

I then used it as a filter in a big bowl, filled the bottom 1/3 with it and topped off with Carter Hall. It still stung my tongue.

Dauntless, I tried loading a bowl and drawing on it without lighting and it stung my tongue. This is an evil weed. Save your money and stay away.

Bulldog Jeff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog Jeff (11)

This was one of my regulars until Acadian Perique kicked it out of Humidor No. 1. I loved it the first time I smoked it. Then, over time, I grew to like it more and love it less. When finished with the current tin, I shall replenish my supply.

I used to smoke this out of my GBD "Super Q" while driving all day for work. Now I smoke it out of a GefaPip bent barrel when I get home from work when I'm not experimenting with something new.

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)

Mixture is an absolute Mc Baren classic. It has kept its position on the market throughout the decades. You will get a pouch of it in every tobacco shop. For some reason. As with almost all Mc Baren blends, it seems to me that you have to either love or to hate them. In my case, I'm a Mc Baren fan and I smoke their blends regularly. But I bought a pouch of it when I had already smoked better blends. Mixture is a typical Mc Baren quality tobacco but it won't kick you of the chair with complexity. It's a classical european pipe tobacco. It has the typial Mc Baren topping over it. A good thing so far, but somehow stronger and sweeter than with other blends. Packing and lighting is the usual easy Mc Baren deal, but even though I'm a slow smoker and never have problems with tongue bite, I had problems to keep it cool. It burns hot easily if you don't pay attention. It offers a very lovely room note, reflecting its taste very good, which is also satisfying. But, to some reason, it strangely reminded me of cigarette tobacco at some point with a sharp, hot, smoke. To cut a long story short, I think this is a good choice if for example you're on holiday abd there isn't a better one in sight. It has its enjoyable moments, but I won't give it a regular try.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Everything about this blend is fantastic. Nice traditional tin and once the seals broken it just gets better. The aroma is one of the nicest you'll find, rich and sweet how bakky in this style should smell. worth letting the mix air some prior to smoking as it can be somewhat moist, which I'm in favor of (bit hard to put moisture back in if too dried). Beautiful bellows of white smoke not only taste great but give the onlookers the room note desired. burns well without fault, the standard false light and relight and your on your way to the bottom and wanting more. not overly strong nic count here so probably a good all day toker. No mac baren bite found as other often state with McB, having said that I think most tobacco should be smoked in a relaxed style, hey thats the point! dont rush, enjoy. definitely in my regular rotation.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

This is such a divine pouch aroma.

A solid long cut, partially rubbed out flake, it displays something similar as the aroma of cookies.

It is simply intoxicating. The smoking is, unfortunately, lacking any strength of character.

A pity, I really wanted to love it.

Beginners will become infatuated with it, though...

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

Good tobacco for cigarette smokers and beginners. Buy it, smoke it, keep a pouch around and smoke a bowl instead of a cigarette, but look higher, there are many pipe tobaccos that are much better than this one.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

One of the best mild aromatics (or flavored burleys) in the market. A great mixture of dominant burley with sweet Virginias, Orientals, and Cavendish. The flavoring is very mild, similar to Peterson's Deluxe Mixture, but I find this tobacco richer.

It must be savored slowly to avoid tongue bite and fully appreciate its depth.

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (19)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I completely subscribe to the opinion of slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake concerning this tobacco. In general Mc Baren's tobacco's are an excellent value for money and this is one of their top blends:

A beautiful mixture of broken flake and broad cut leaves in shades from bright yellow to black. At first I did't think that highly of it, now I keep on going back to it and before I realized my pouch was empty.

Subtle is the key word for this tobacco:

A nice subtle sweet, slightly fruity aroma, packs very easily and is not too moist ( also good after some airing).

The flavors are the subtle sweet cornflaky, toasty kind of which many here have spoken before.

A low maintenance, very pleasing blend that will always be in my stash.

Logwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Logwood (9)

Has a light spicy flavor that is good at first, but after a while it grows tiresome.

It seems to stay lit if you are chatting or doing something.

I was quite impressed with the size of the ribbon cut, as it actually looks like broken flake.

A bowl here or there is quite refreshing but it is not a regular in my rotation.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is driving me crazy.

First, it's wet. Thus, it's hot. I've tried it in every sort of pipe/filter combination imaginable, and it's still just too damn wet and hot. The taste is good but nothing really extraordinary. I don't think it's worth the effort considering how hot it burns, how wet it is, and just how hard it bites. Even in small puffs with a 9mm filter it still bit me, and I usually smoke slow anyway.

One horrific experience was smoking it in a Peterson Rathbone. I stopped smoking my pipe during half way as I had to deal with something. When I came back to it, I literally got a pint full of just rancid juice out of my pipe and right in my mouth. UGH.

The stuff tastes pretty good, but really, it's just not worth the effort.

yankee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yankee (12)

a bit spicy tobacco for expirience pipe smokers. if you don t like this tobacco on a first bowl...try again. small puffs recommend to ensure max pleasure in this blend.

PHOBOS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PHOBOS (9)

Very good blend, good quality, burns well, pleasant smoke, spiceness.A typical classic tobacco. Puffy this blend slowly and lightly.Enjoy Mac Baren Mixture.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

The flavors on initial light are wonderful, gingerbread and toast, but quickly it descends into something far more mundane. Bites easily if overheating, and easily overheats, a bad combination. I suspect that people who enjoy this tobacco are smoking inside, using a filter pipe, or masochists with leather tongues...

slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake (10)

For years, I never tried the MB's blends because the guys at the tobacco shop would discourage me, suggesting I would burn my tongue...and ofcourse, MB is not as exotic as some of the other "exclusive" blends. First, I say, the criticisms of MB are not founded! To me, MacBaren's tobaccos are some of the finest blends on the market and they are affordable! Mixture has got to be one of the best smokes in this world! The keys to Macbaren's tobaccos: 1) Give a new blend about a week, maybe one to two bowls a day. 2) You must sip these tobaccos to get the full impression. (I have found this is generally true with all good tobaccos). Mixture is easily one of my "go to" blends. There are so many subtle flavors going on here. BUT YOU CANNOT BE IN A HURRY. Mixture, Plumcake, Virginia no.1, Golden Extra, Symphony, Navy Flake...All of these blends are wonderful if you give them a chance, live with them for about a week and let your senses adjust. Finally, smoke'em slow. Now, MacBaren's aromatics are another story...not so good! I found all the above mentioned MB blends to be refreshing after so many years of smoking the blends the guys at the tobacco shop were pushing; some of which are actually really fine smokes. Many were like "eating chocolate cake all the time", just too much for everyday enjoyment. Mixture is an every and all day companion! I know, it's MacBaren's......but give it a try. Mixture will grow on you! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

staindjason Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
staindjason (4)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this one looking for that honey and toast flavor but all i found was extremely hot smoke with burnt rubber taste (usually what u get when smoked in a cheap pipe) but my savinelli smokes great maybe i just packed it wrong i use the frank method which always works great, i will give it another try and update this review

jvande7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvande7 (15)

Apparently this blend has been around for a VERY long time and is made-up of 35 different types of tobacco, hence the name "mixture". I bought a 100g tin from my local shop. To open the vacuum sealed tin, I followed the helpful instructions on the side which told me to insert a coin and twist. I wasn't very impressed with this tobacco at first glance. It looks good but didn't smell all that great at first and felt slightly dried out. My how looks can be deceiving... as it turns out, Mixture is sneaky that way. It seems like it's dry but there is moisture hidden inside those broken flakes. This stuff smokes/tastes best when given some dry time before smoking, don't be fooled by its dry appearance. This is a lightly aromatic blend that rubs me the right way. My favorite Mac Baren offering out of the few I've tried. I'm not a huge fan of MacB tobaccos but this one is a keeper. No tongue bite. Once you pop the tin, let it air out a bit before you smoke it. The smell and flavor both improve once it has time to settle.

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The worlds best selling pipe-tobacco? Well I sure don't get it. I absolutely love the tin aroma and the room note is to die for. But where is the taste? And I've tried so many times with this tobacco, as would really love to like it. I find it hard to light and smoke. Needs several relights and makes the bowl way hotter than I' care for, and this goes for basically all of my pipes. I've tried and tried and..

Maybe it's just me, but I've no beef with any other tobacco like this one. It simply won't be smoked by me.

Ready rubbed for ya, with loose cut sweet cavendish, but that does not help me at all.

Sweet scent of honey, corn and raisin - but I don't think the taste lives up to it.

Do try it though, 'cause if it really IS the most selling tobacco, it's gotta be for someone. I just miss nicotine, taste and smoking ability way too much to enjoy. So now I've boxed it with other aromatics to sit for a couple of years. In my own voting system I give it a 3/10

kukulis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kukulis (12)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tobacco taste is hidden somewhere ;) but still very nice smoking experience! The senses are simillar to that when my wife cooks the cookies in the kitchen :) Must be prepared to it or you will be disapointed. Definately the best blend for a beginner!

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (83)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad! Mixture is clearly in the sweet side but I expected it more cased, instead it smokes naturally with hints of walnuts, hazelnuts, cereal, raisins and,of course, a honey flavoring… Who made a comparison with "muesli"? Yes, I agree, for me is a good tobacco after my mid-morning espresso coffee; mild, tasteful, not boring, without the infamous "MacBiting". Not exceptional but very good, enough for me to buy it again in the future maybe in flake version, a cut which I prefer.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (18)

Good old Mixture! After all the experiments with different aromatica and English (rather tobaccos with Latakia), the tobacco is always back and never never betrayed me! Nice amount of Burley, Cavendish and Virginia always again surprised me with its quality. In my regular rotation, and when I do not know who would put the tobacco in his pipe - Mixture is still here!

Rehfeldttw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rehfeldttw (8)

This is a very delicious blend. Excellent ribbon cut. Looks like flaky ribbon mix.

Delicious peppery spicyness when blow through the nose. Mild tropical sweetness that has a roast nutty, creamy taste.

Overall, burns evenly, tastes great and no tongue bite. Good all day smoke.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

taste reminds me of navy flake, but much more elegant and natural. tobacco smells sweet...raisins, honey. Smoke is on the sweeter side. Aftertaste, hay & straw. Overall, a very pleasant smoke. I love this Ribbon cut. Easy to pack. Burns fantastic. This smoke reminds me of a farm in no-man's-land at sunset. Just simple and pleasant.

update 9/26/2009 so far i've tried MacBaren's Vanilla Loose Cut, Plumcake and Navy Flake. This Mixture beats them all...a nice allday smoke. worth a try & maybe you'll fall in love with it...Great stuff!

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the same tobacco that you'll find listed under "MIXTURE" in the Mac Baren brand section of this page - so, I'll give it a review here as well.

This is the blend that took me from "Fruit Loop Cavendish®" to virginia flakes.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Not a Bell Ringer for me. Better than average.

06/12/2005 Update: After drying in the unsealed tin for the better part of a year this is a very tasty smoke. There are just enough Burley and Cavendished tobaccos to smooth out the tangy Virginia. No tongue-bite with normal Virginia smoking techniques. Let it dry out!

Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Many tins in the MB line seem to taste similar to me, and they smoke in the same fashion as well. They taste bland...are HOT/Tongue-Biters...and smell like potpourri. I cannot recommend this product.

Ghost1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghost1974 (10)

I really wanted to hold off reviewing this one right away as I only recently tried it, despite its widespread popularity and availability. I've tried a lot of the other MacBaren blends which I haven't yet reviewed, but I'm really liking this blend so I had to get at it!

Like others here, I have noted a spiciness to it that I'm finding more and more enjoyable. It doesn't seem to bite much at all, especially in comparison to the other MacB choices. This may be partly due to the tobacco itself, or just my own caution from past experiences.

It burns great for me and I haven't found it 'goopy' like some of my other favoured brands, which is a plus. Smells great, tastes great, and when I'm finished a bowl I immediately want another. (I don't do it, though. It's like leaving a room on a high note- Seinfeld reference...) Personally, I enjoy it in a smaller bowl, and it's perfect with a good crossword puzzle. Very little attention is required.

Three stars instead of four for now. If I'm still really into it after another 6 months or so I will upgrade it to a four, but I can't see any reason to give it less than three.

I enjoy Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture. My review is based on a recent 8 oz bulk sample purchase. Its presentation is that of medium brown strands of broken flake tobacco with just the right moisture level. It packed and lit without effort and required no relights. There was no moisture accumulation and the tobacco burned down to a nice light gray ash. This was sweet tasting and had a slightly floral character to it (not Lakeland, just very subtle).

The Virgina tobacco is the most predominant taste and it is very similar to their Virginia No 1 offering but sweeter (combination of the natural Virginia leaf, cavendish, and the typical Mac Baren honey flavor). There is also a spiciness to it which adds a peppery sensation to the tongue. I am not talking bite. However, if you puff on this too hard the bowl has a tendency to burn hot and it will scorch. Interestingly, in a larger diameter bowl, I bunch up the tobacco like a flake for packing and do not experience any tendency for this to smoke hot. Gentle puffing never gets it above the pepper sensation on the tongue. Its overall taste and strength maintained itself consistently throughout the smoke.

This is a very nicely put together blend. As I stated in another review, many of the Mac Baren blends have been criticized for being too similar in taste. I felt that way during my beginning years of pipe smoking. Today, however, many of the Mac Baren blends are among my favorite smokes. I smoke more of their offerings than from any other manufacture and I have been rewarded in discovering the subtle differences they offer. It took time and patience, but the results were well worth it.

All of the qualities represented by Scottish Mixture are enough to make it a candidate for anyone's daily or weekly rotation.

pufdragn63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pufdragn63 (13)

Here in Australia, the range of readily available pipe tobacco is limited to a handful of 'over the counter' brands such as Erinmore, Dr Pat, Mac Baren Plumcake, Mac Baren Mixture and (horrors!) Borkum Riff. So when I returned to the pipe a few years ago, Mac Baren Mixture and Erinmore Flake were the stand out blends among a severely limited number.

Given that meagre range, and the mind boggling number of blends available overseas, it wasn't long before I started importing direct from suppliers in the US and Europe and paying the ridiculously high customs duties and taxes associated with the privilege.

I've now managed to build up a nice little stockpile of blends from McClelland, Dunhill, G L Pease, Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hogarth but Mac Baren Mixture remains a favourite morning smoke.

In Australia, Mixture is available in pouches rather than tins and I like to open a fresh pouch about a week or so before I'll need it so the tobacco can dry out a bit.

Packed tight and puffed hard Mixture can taste sour and punish you by biting hard. But packed on the loose side and puffed gently it gives a well behaved, bite free, slightly sweet 'honey and toast' smoke that goes very well with a morning coffee.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

This tobacco is certainly the most known Mac Baren blend. It is a very good and satisfying puff. While opening the pouch or tin a whaft of something that reminds me of honey hits my nostrils. The tobacco is easy to pack, but bit chunky sometimes so better rub it a bit just to make sure. Treat this gentlemen properly, giving it short and steady puffs, so you will get the most out of it and without heating up your pipe. Aroma is soft and mellow. Not overpowering...One of my fave pipe tobaccos to date. I do not give it all stars becuase these are left to a few English blends which are remarkable.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

I was quite reluctant to try this one because of bad reviews somewhere else. I am glad I tried it anyway. This is a pleasant mild and slightly aromatic tobacco. Good for every day smoke: no tongue bite, room note is pleasant and not strong. The Virginia and Burleys are pleasant, and the flavoring is really light. This is definitely not a special occasion tobacco, but a good all day and easy to find one. A solid 3 stars. This tobacco has not a strong taste, which makes it a good all day. Not a nightcap, not a good book tobak, just a simple, mild enjoyable one. Hint: try this in a 9mm filter pipe...big difference in my Nordic Line Stanwell 9mm!!

bluemax1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluemax1 (1)

I've been a pipe smoker for over 30 years now. In that time I've tried many different tobaccos. Some good, some not so good. 10 or 12 years ago I started smoking Mac Baren's Mixture in the tin and really liked it. I no longer experiment with tobaccos, and other than the occasional tin of Frog Morton, I rarely smoke anything but Mac Baren's mixture. 6 or 7 years ago I started buying it in 5 lb bags, and to this day will smoke one full bag every 4 months. It's become like an old friend to me. I know some have experienced tongue bite with Mac Baren's tobaccos, but I've never had that problem. I find that this tobacco smokes best with tight packing.

When I first took up pipe smoking a bit over 20 years ago, I started out on this blend, because it was the one tobacco one could get anywhere, from specialized pipe tobacconists' to newspaper kiosks. At the time I reasoned that for a tobacco to be this ubiquitous, it would have to be good.

I had smoked a few pouches of it before going on to other things, and never looked back until very recently, when I was out of tobacco, and only had a small convenience store to go to. The general availability of MB Mixture served me well there. I bought a pouch for the first time in two decades.

The pouch aroma was less strong than I remembered, but that is most likely due to my having experienced some really strong aromatics in the years in between. It still smells of honey with a spicy, fruity note. The leaf is mostly a coarsely-rubbed VA flake, with a little Burley in there. I think I can detect some Perique and Kentucky in there, too, but in the profusion of tobaccos used in this blend, who really cares?

Easily stuffed into a wide bowl, the tobacco lights readily if one makes the effort to rub some tobacco more finely before topping off the pipe. The pouch I got was perfect for smoking, not too wet, not too dry. The VA dominates the smoke, burning coolly, evenly and gently down to the very last crumbs without turning nasty or losing flavour.

The room note is less pronounced than I remembered, but there, too, the intervening years spent with some rather strongly-accented tobaccos may have played a trick on my memory. It's pleasant, though, not obtrusive or too dominant; certainly one of the factors in this blend's long survival in a highly competitive market.

Overall, after smoking a few pipes of this, I found myself wondering why I hadn't smoked it for so long; it's a very well-behaved tobacco which is easy to stuff and smoke, and socially highly acceptable even in mostly non-smoking environments. Beautiful, and highly recommended for beginners, too.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

In fact, such blend is very hard to grade.

In one hand, it's quality is good, price is more than fair and it burns fine. In other hand it likes to burn tongue and if you are not Virginia lover, it would not bring much of excitement.

My grade is 2,75...

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

Wednesday I bought a 50grms pouch, after having opened a pouch of Golden Blend on monday. Well, I have found myself very pleased alternating these two fellows the whole week.

Mixture is the very best representation of the McB basic philosophy, and a pleasant smoke on condition that you really care how to smoke it.

I just add my two cents. It comes on the dry side in the pouch - not so dry, the smell is wonderful - and needs loose packing, just gravity fill and light tamper after charring, that's enough to avoid extra-hot pipe and the famous Mac Bite. Delivers mild but very interesting sweet, biscuity and spicy notes, never boring indeed. I haven't experienced gurgles nor goopy end.

Navy Flake and Dark Twist are my other preferences in their Va-B-BC line, but sometimes I think it's a bit non-sense to choose them when with Mixture you find something really close but 30-40% cheaper.

Stumper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stumper (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was less than thrilled with my first bowl of Mixture. I wasn't getting tongue bite but it was nippping my nasal passages. The flavour was okay but it didn't seem likea 3 star blend. I let it dry a little before the next bowl....AHHH! This is delightful stuff. Smells good, tastes good, some complexity to the flavours, very pleasant aftertaste. I have noticed that most of the 4 star ratings go to Latakia, Perique types and various "English blends". I don't know if I shall ever hav ethe"discrimating palate" to compare those but some milder tobaccos stand out as exceptional and I think this one deserves a high recommendation.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

Good natural sweetened tobacco taste. Mild, honeyed, complex flavour. Classy.

macbforme Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbforme (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Of all the Mac Baren tobaccos....Mixture (Scottish Blend) and Virginia no.1 are the absolute best! Mixture is toasty and tasty and has been very reliable, consistent, and satisfying. No tongue bite what so ever. I had forgotten about a tin that I had emptied into a sealed jar back in 03'. Opened it up last week and decided to give it a go.....very nice indeed! Aftertaste is pleasant and satisfying.

This is a mainstay in my rotation of tobaccos. I like to rotate this with a sweet Virgina, Frog Morton, and quality black Cavendish (BCA by Lane for example). I find that these selections pretty much represent my favorites of all time.

My recommendation is to "puff" slowly and lightly with Mixture. I find that this is the best way to obtain the full flavoring that this tobacco has to offer.

4 out of 4 stars.

Enjoy!

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Mixture is the finest blend ever made by Mac Baren, the toast/honey flavor it provides is wonderful, the smoke is mild , consistent and tasty.

This is one of the best pipe tobacco available today, Mixture is my all day blend since 15 years of pipe smoking, and I still cant find better.

Medhat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medhat (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

well, this is my 1st type of tobbaco, i have got it as a gift from a swedish friend of mine and i find it, nice tobacco, when i fresh light it, it's kinda storng and nice then after a bit start to cool down.

Thx Medhat Egyptian Pipesmoker

cotech Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cotech (6)

This is one nice tobacco. I love the texture and smell, it looks great and packs well. Burns very good and it's an easy smoke....until...it bites. If this wouldn't bite so much, it would be one of my favorites, maybe even the best. But now, I usually keep away from it, just to save my tongue. It's a shame really, such a nice tobacco but that burn....ouch.

scottf345 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottf345 (10)

This is a good blend if you load and smoke it a certain way. Like others I initially had problems with the heat. Since I have started using a loose pack and sipping it I have had no problems with bite. My prefered smokes are almost always uncased staight virginias - vapers - the ocasional latakia blend (in the winter) but mostly I enjoy the orientals. However, occasionaly somthing sweet is what I want and this one seems to work for me. I really enjoy it on those occasions. It flat out tastes good without being cloying, and it doesn't goop up the pipe. If your looking for a tasty, light, somewhat aromatic blend that isn't like smoking an air frshener ,or if your looking for an aromatic that doesn't turn the inside of your pipe into a gross, goopy, sloppy mess, give this one a try. I would give this one 4 stars for taste alone if you didn't have to be so careful with it.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Leading brand tax free, that's great, except that I haven't seen much diversity in the tax free pipe tobacco offerings - Mac Baren and Davidoff, and that's it. Maybe I've been in wrong airports. Away from this, Mixture is a decent blend. It's got the flavor, and the flavor stays with time which shows it's not so much in the casing but in the tobaccos used. As stated by many reviewers, slow tempo and light pack is a must, and a dedicated pipe preferable.

Mellow, mild, good for the mornings. Too bad I don't smoke in the mornings anymore.

Fat Rat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fat Rat (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a novice pipe smoker, and having experienced the "Mac Baren Bite", I thought I'd chime in on this one. Like many, I scorched my tongue badly on the first bowl, maybe even on the first few puffs! I chocked this up to my inexperience and decided to forget about this one until I had enough experience to try again. A few months (and many bowls of other tobaccos) later I tried again. This time I was very careful; little sippy puffs. I still got bitten. I was ready to blame Mac Baren as I had had similar experiences with their dark twist roll cake and symphony. Something in my engineer's analytical head would not let this little mystery go and I started to do some research. I read what I could find about tongue bite on the net and listened to some podcast interviews with tobacco blenders like Russ Oulette. The only variable I could readily affect was the moistness of the tobacco. I decided to dry it out. I opened the tin, fluffed it up, and let it sit overnight in my air conditioned office. Throughout the next day, I re-fluffed and let it dry some more. This had a dramatic effect. It's still a little nippy if you overpuff, but now I can smoke bowl after bowl in total enjoyment. I really like this stuff, it has a delightful flavor and is light on nicotine. Without the bite, it's four stars for sure.

schnorrer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schnorrer (14)

Mostly a complex Virginia, with some Burley notes. Cavendish gives it a slight aromatic flavor and room aroma.

Overall, I think this is excellent IF you like the components that make this up and "mixed" together.

If you are a Virginia purist, stay away. There is some Burley here which may disappoint if you are looking for tobacco with only subtle taste nuances.

Heavy Burley man? Sorry, this is mostly Virginia.

Enjoy Latakia? Nope. None here.

Sensitive tongue? Like all Virginias this will tingle the tongue a little (and maybe bite if puffed hard).

Hate aromatics? Stay away. The Cavendish makes this a "near" aromatic.

But.... if you like a balanced tobacco (or are willing to put a balanced tobacco into rotation) this is a GREAT one in my opinion. This is clearly a candidate for an all day tobacco. And the room note won't send the ladies running for the door.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (17)

The unfortunately named "Mixture" is a workhorse blend of the MacBaren line. Most will identify it by its subtitle "Scottish Blend." Its a good vanilla blend with a bit more bite than I'd prefer, but one that I come back to time and again.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)

Now I understand why this blend is one of the best and most popular in the world. It is easily packed, it burns quite a while, it burns to the bottom etc. Upon opening the pouch, I discovered that the tobacco is dry and smells like natural tobacco. At first I wanted to moisture it a little but when I packed it I discovered that it is best to smoke it dry. It is a very pleasent smoke, it has a little honey/fruity aroma in it but it is very mild, so it is good even for beginner smokers. You don't have to tamp it often and if it's smoked properly, you will find out that this blend is very relaxing. It is an experience that you will never forget. I love this tobacco and I will buy it frequently.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Yes it bites, and it's mild and it's danish and it's MacB's and....BUT...they say on the packet that it contains 35 different baccy's...well if it does, its a miracle it taste as great as it actual does...its a classic and it's a winner, I get honey on toast with soft touches of maple and ginger creeping in. I love Plumcake, Dark Twist, Navy Flake and Vanilla Cream...but this to me this is the least cased (in its taste) and the most honest off the lot...and like all MacB's...great value for money. A great pouch tobacco available from your corner shop and there ain't many of them!

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good friend helped me along when I was new to the world of pipe smoking, by buying me a whole pound of this blend! I've smoked it for over a year now and I think I'm as qualified to write as review as anyone...

As the wise reviewers have advised, let it dry and don't pack it tightly or even attentively! Just take a wad, put it in the pipe, light and go. Don't, don't tamp too much or you will find out for yourself why Mac Baren has such a reputation. But if you follow the advice on how to smoke it and don't get too enthusiastic with the puffing, you'll be rewarded with top quality tobacco and great flavor!

While this is certainly an aromatic blend, you can always taste the fine tobacco and no one in the room will think that you are puffing away on vanilla incense. To me, that makes all the difference in the world!

Three out of four stars, for that MacB bite that I have received too many times.

Accompaniment: Bach's Goldberg Variations.

Pipers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers (19)

What a lovely surprise. This is a danish pleasure and a wonderful all day smoke. Rich in taste with the virginias and cavendish leaf playing center roll. If you like danish tobaccos, in particular the Mac range (navy flake) get some you won't be disappointed.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A CLASSIC!!!

One of the most balanced blends! Packs well! Burns well! Tastes nice and you can have it every time of the day, every day of the week! Its not the best tobacco you will find but I believe its one that can win the most followers because of its multi-dimensional taste!

Again, A CLASSIC!!!

clockwork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clockwork (2)

I am new to pipe smoking about a year and this is my first review so you all that have been smoking for years help me out. I found this blend very good compared to what i had been smoking, most of the time I went with the aromatic blends, and when I started buying the tin tobacco, man what a difference, the strenght compared to the aromatic was great, this is one I could smoke all day I am still new to picking out the blends of tobacco but with trial and era I will learn. For someone who likes a mild tobacco this would be great.

bullof7battles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bullof7battles (7)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think I could smoke this stuff all day. I "gravity feed" it into my pipe, tuck in the ends and touch it off. If you don't puff too fast, it doesn't blister your tongue or your hand when you touch your pipe. Nice and mellow. Aromatic without being sickeningly sweet and goopy. I found this in bulk at my favorite beer/wine/tobacco shop, btw.

TastersChoice69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TastersChoice69 (2)

Jaybee I could not say it any better.I came across this blend in September 07'.Bought a tin of it and the next thing I know I'm buying a lb of it.This is my everyday smoke.I think it has a slight smell of tea in it also.Something makes me buy a pound of it every month. It smells better by the pound.I think the tube it comes in gives it room to breath.The tin just has too much moisture in it. Good review Jaybee.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

In 1975 while on a college trip to the UK, I entered a pipe shop for the first time. The proprietor recommended Mac Scottish Mixture as a good choice for a beginner. Well, I'm not sure that's true, but the scent of the tobacco alone enticed me to purchase my first pipe and tin of tobacco. For me this is an occasional smoke that always tastes the way I have remembered. It does not forgive a careless smoke, but rather insists on contemplative patience, forcing me to slow down and become a bit philosophical. That alone is worth 3 stars.

Update: Since I seem to be reaching for this more and more lately, I decided to up the rating. There are several factors that I consider necessary to truly enjoy this tobacco. Comments about it's tendency to bite are not unfounded but this can be avoided.

Firstly, a pipe dedicated to this blend really helps bring out the flavor......and there are some subtleties to enjoy once the taste really comes through.

Secondly, I try to draw in some sidestream air when puffing on this. This not only cools down the smoke, it really brings out more flavor.

Thirdly, I cannot overstate the importance of giving this tobacco a very light pack.

Finally, I much prefer this in bulk form as it comes drier, making it less bitey and much easier to stay lit.

As far as quality goes; 50 years of production and sales must account for something......

Sparky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparky (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I must note that I am sampling this after recovering from a 5 alarm tounge fire caused by Escudo last night. I got myself some Biotene mouth wash, and trucked on.

Pipe: Austin, estate straight Dublin

Tobacco: Two small sample pouches given to me by my tobacco guy. Actually suprised at the perfect moisture level coming out of these pouches, but, I let it air a bit anyway. Nice Ready rubbed, good pouch aroma.

Light/Burn: Lights well, even on the first shot, little tamp, and enjoy. Burns reasonably cool... Im a slow puffer, so no problems here. Tounge bite is not noticeable... but again, got mine fried last night, so I wouldnt notice anyway.

Smoking: After the first light, I can taste the VA's peek through... just what I love the most. Naturally sweet VA's. I dont taste much in the way of the cavendish... and the burley comes in a little nutty with the VA's, its kinda like smoking a really really mild fruitcake... not bad at all. Last 1/3 of the bowl is tasteless for all the smoke it produces... like smoking cool air... really strange. Burns clean, white ash, just a touch of dottle.

Overall: Enjoyable smoke... need to try some more before It would make it into the rotation, but I enjoyed it.

8 out of 10 - 3 stars

dallaspipehead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dallaspipehead (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I could tell you about Mac Baren Mixture while smoking an oriental blend and still be able to recall my experiences with distinction. Mixture was my re-introduction to pipe smoking, after giving up the hobby for several years. As a lad, I bought and destroyed many a pipe from the Tinder Box that used to thrive at its (once was) Fox Valley Mall location, in Aurora, Illinois. Back then I favored the aromatics, and I stuffed my pipes with average danish glop-funkies and typical drug-store american burley blends. My toungue was rendered useless by over-puffing these heavily cased and drippingly moist concoctions. Impatient as most young ones are, I gave up the pipe for cigars and cigarettes. In retrospect, I wish I could have skipped the cigarette chapter completely. Years later I discovered a small pipe shop on the outskirts of Lisle, called Gentlemans Delight. It was run by a fine Hungarian gentleman, named Frank. Without realizing it, hours slipped by while I lost myself in his lifetimes worth of treasures. After much debate, I chose an unsmoked antique Knute freehand and a tin of Mac Baren "Scottish Mixture". The "scottish" part was what really intrigued me, only to discover that it was not actually made in Scotland, merely scot-like in nature. I'm still not entirely convinced of that point. This was a true danish blend, from a reputable source unlike any I had known before. The scent dazzled by senses, and the array of colors inside the tin were not unlike autumn at its most beautiful. Once again, without asking for proper instruction, I went home and puffed like a man possesed. I did not give up that time, not after spending that kind of money on a pipe. My inexperience hindered my impression, so I went on trying other blends. More years came and went, but I always went back to the Mixture, which seemed only to improve with age. I tried blending it and cutting it with other things, but until I developed a slower pace of smoking and a well-weathered toungue, it smoked too stridently for me. This blend is very particular about how it is smoked, and what pipe it is smoked from. Once you find the right method and combination, you can unlock a smoking sensation that is virtually unrivaled in the danish pipe tobacco market. My suggestion: buy a Kirsten System pipe and try Mixture in it. This changed everything for me. The system pipe keeps the relentless moisture generated by this blend away from the palate, and thus greatly reducing the bite. I think you will discover the Kirsten pipe renders most smoking complications irrelevant. Although I still collect pipes of all natures, and tobaccos from many different walks of life, I reserve a Kirsten specifically for Mac Baren "Scottish Mixture", and other Mac Baren products that prove similar in nature. Nowadays, I smoke the Kirsten/Mac Baren combination religiously. The semi-sweet cornucopia of mild danish tobaccos is a fine way to smooth my groggy morning drives. Occasionally there is a bitter spot, but otherwise its very dependable. I can smoke half a bowl, leave it in the console during a hot summer afternoon only to find it even more enjoyable on the drive home. Winter does not seem to phase it much, either. I cellared a pound of it. My tastes and techniques have matured, and if yours have too, show this classic the patience and respect it deserves. I give it 4 stars-for earning it.

221b Baker St. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221b Baker St. (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review and I must say I have smoked many different blends and this has been my favorite thus far, I have smoked it in briar, meershaum and clay and it tastes the same. I can and have smoked it all day and enjoy it.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I dont know why I like this... It's HOT, sweet and grassy, priced right in bulk. I just plain like the taste. If you like Orliks Golden Slices, you probably will like this as a cheaper alternative, or Stokkebys bulk Twisted Navy Flake. I cant say much good about it really, and there is better out there... I Just plain like the sweet grassyness.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

Mixture has a nicely rounded tobacco flavor with a refreshing clean sweet flavoring added that doesn't get between you and the tobacco.

This may or may not bite your tongue depending on your body chemistry. If you don't chug on it, you hopefully won't have any problems. The blend burns nicely and packs easily.

This is a blend I've been reaching for at all times of day. There's good reason it has been as popular as it is, for as long as it has. This just barely qualified for my four stars, but deserves them none the less.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: I got hold of 100g tins at the airport. You must now add me to the crowds that have made this the #1 selling tobacco in duty free shops. I also got hold of other stuff which I had to try first. Once again through the airport and another 100g tin etc... etc... So now I am left with about four 100g tins and I discovered that smoking it is not as enjoyable as it used to be. I still recommend it but not as fervently as before.

Oh! BTW, I have started getting bad reviews for the room note!

In any case - one must still try this. It is worth the time.

ORIGINAL: All that could be said has been said by others.

I really enjoy and recommend this one!

Let me just add: I find that, given the choice, I reach for this any hour of the day. (Well, Calume is another favorite of mine which can be a great smoke in the morning and W.O. Larsen Old Fashioned is a great after dinner smoke).

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)

Mixture is packaged very nicely; the presentation in the tin is really appealing. The tobacco is primarily red virginia and has a sweet aroma. I have not tried rubbing it out as other reviewers; I just put a chunk in the pipe, sometimes another chunch on top of that and start smoking. It has very nice room note with the sweet smell of virginia and virginia is what I taste during the first half of the bowl, then you can begin to taste & smell the burley. It seems to have some nicotine to it, but not too strong. I find it has a great flavor that is not overpowering. I have smoked about 3 bowls now and have not received any tongue bite even though the tobacco is a little goopy/sticky(similar to the drugstore variety). I'll give it 3-stars.

elias Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elias (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant

I was wondering what a Scottish Blend from Mac Baren would be like, so I tried it. I was rewarded with two surprises.

1. It is far away from what one would expect from a Scottish Blend. Why did they decide to call it like is a mystery to me.

2. It is an excellent aromatic. Very pleasant taste, no tongue bite.

I even put it to a hard test. I smoked it for a few days (4-5 bowls/day) without smoking any English/Scottish blends at all. I cannot say I did not miss them, but now I have a viable alternative. Well done Mac Baren.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (56)

A fine tobacco. Aromatic and natural tobacco satisfaction in one blend. Not Scottish in the textbook sense (no Latakia).

This is a world favorite for a reason. In my tin it seems to be mostly a broken VA flake with some cavendish scattered throughout. It rubs out instantly and packs like a dream-- don't go too tight. The moisture is ideal-- dry, but not too much so. I smoke this with a 6mm charcoal filter and it has zero bite no matter how hard I puff. Fairly consistent flavour through the bowl; there isn't really a "zone" you have to wait for. Has subtle hints of honey, maple and licorice atop a truly quality tobacco base. Not at all fruity. The room note is nice, but not excessively sweet. For this reason, it may not be totally acceptable for those right close by, but it certainly will win some nods in well-circulated air. This is definitely an everyday, all day blend for those whose tastes haven't terminated at only purely natural blends (I myself smoke VAPer's mostly). Give it a go if you don't mind frangranced tobacco and want a proven blend that isn't too tacky or cloying.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)

I notice there are two listings on here for what is essentially the same tobacco - "Mixture" and "Scottish Blend"

I had read all about MacBaren tobaccos but was wary of trying them because of all the reports of tongue bite, tongue bite and tongue bite. However, being a fan of mild aromatics I bit the bullet and ordered 50g of Mixture loose.

Very pleased with this tobacco. In fact so pleased, I finished the 50g in record time and have since ordered more (pre pack pouch - tastes the same) The flavour is mild (honey on toast as many people say) and changes throughout the bowl. Burns well and I personally don't get that much bite unless I puff it really hard. Any bite is worth it for the tasty smoke.

I've been smoking this constantly and neglecting my other staples - McConnell Glen Piper and Erinmore Mixture - so the people at MacBaren must be doing something right.

For me this is, so far, the perfect tobacco. Slightly aromatic, not too sweet and sickly and with multi-dimensional flavour. If the sound of this appeals to you, don't be put off by the MacBaren tongue bite rumours like I was, give it a try.

I'll definitely be "exploring the world of MacBaren" further.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I always thought that because this was a Scottish mix it would be kind of latakia heavy or at least somewhat strong. Nontheless this is quite an inoffensive and easy to smoke tobacco, that I would strongly recomend trying to just about everyone, not because of this being the most wonderful tobacco ever, but because of its reliabilty and quality. It's easy on your mouth, the room note is OK... it does have a nice an slightly more complex tobacco flavour than most of the Mac Barens I've tried so far, again it's not great, but its quite solid and good. I'm glad I finally tried it.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

3/02/2004 - Scottish Mixture is a nice, mild, change-of-pace, step-down blend. Nothing too fancy here. Just a solid, pleasant, in-your-face old-fashioned smoke. As the description notes, "Mixture is one of the most popular pipe tobaccos in the world..........." Somebody else must really like this tobacco besides me.

ADDENDUM 2/1/2007: This blend, for me, is much better than my initial, short review might indicate. If any of you have doubts about the true essence of this blend, the subtle flavors it presents and its overall fine qualities, I would suggest you break in a new pipe with it and smoke slowly to taste it in all its glory. I have been using MB(S)M as a ?break in blend? for about 20 months in most of my new pipes. It especially ?sings? in natural, unfinished pipes such as new Sav naturals, Bentons and 50 year old Wilkes (from Pipeworks & Wilke). I am always reluctant to switch tobaccos after breaking in a new pipe with MB(S)M but, as evidenced by the number of my reviews, I relent: variety is the spice of life.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Well, a rocky start, and a few go-rounds with the MacB tongue-bite issue. Let the tin sit a month or so, and bingo, this stuff is magic.

While it is an aromatic tobacco (I suppose), it isn't in the Vanilla or Cherry cavendish way at all, so I think a lot of people don't know what to make of it. Taken for what it is, this is a delightful tobacco, with the "honey on toast" taste coming through a spicy Va and Burley base, this tobacco is one that burns very easily, and is easy to oversmoke. This results in tongue bite. I can, for instance, take a pipeful of Mixture into a store, make a purchase, and leave, and then get the pipe to rekindle with no match. The tobacco is happy to burn (once it is dried just a tad).

Sipped at, this is a lovely first smoke of the day, with rich honey sweetness balancing a bit of spice. Puffed without regard, it will torch, yes.

I rate this stuff at 3 stars rather than 4 due to two things. One, I do have the occassional pipeful that is rather harsh, and two, any tobacco that gives so many people so much trouble is not a 4 star tobac in my books. It could be more user friendly, I guess. Anyhow, for what it is, a light, sweet, good smelling blend, I really enjoy it once in awhile.

vati1werner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vati1werner (3)

I saw a lot of recommendation to 'baby' this stuff and use extreme caution to prevent bite - but I thought all tobacco should be 'babied' somewhat esp. when it's new to you (I guess this was meant from a relative standpoint). I had no issue with bite and enjoyed the flavour very much. Sort of plum-berry-like I thought. Doesn't always burn down entirely as easy as I would I like, probably nothing a better packing won't fix. Room note was fair - I always ask my wife to get a bearing on this but she thinks everything stinks so I have to discount her nose entirely. All in all I think it's good stuff - worth the coin I laid for it.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

I think I'll always have a fondness for this tobacco. Up until now I have never reviewed Mac-Baen blends because (though I have tried several) I wsa unsuccessful in Mastering them. I use that term because, like a wild mustang, you have to master it, or it will master you. Tongue burn is the result. So some fellow pipesters got together and created a plan, based on their experience and following it- This is the joy I have found. On first inspection, the tin aroma is like a sweet grass. A hay mixed perhaps with the very subtle hint of honey. After drying a few bowls until the tobacco feels dry and stiff, but not quite to the breaking point- I gently roll the broken flake into pipe size tumbleweeds and drop them in the Kaywoodie Meerschaum lined Bulldog. Once full a gentle tamp and sip to the char light. At once a flavor of spicey sweet meadow comes forth. Once the char is complete- another light tamp to flatten the head only and repeat. Once at cruising speed you have a wonderful, full flavored Virginia dominant taste. Based on this Method I will be re-reviewing many Mac-Baren blends. I'm happy to say I have finished my second bowl of this Mix- and no burn. Kudos to my mentors and friends at Gray Fox for helping me to discover the better piper I could be. Highly recomended.

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (13)

I find myself agreeing with much that has already been said. I tend choose a particular tobacco at any given time based on what I have a desire for in terms of strength and taste, but also based on environmental factors like whether my wife or others are about who might be sensitive to the room note, whether windows are closed or open and would I stink up the house, and whether I want to not have to worry about my smoking technique or just want to puff ahead.

This is the case here. If I'm desiring something sweet (like after dinner) or mild (like early in the morning), if I don't want to drive people way with a strong room note, and have the concentration or are relaxed enough to pay attention to what I'm doing, I'll reach for it. On the other hand, if I want something stronger, don't care what others think, or don't want to fuss with the sipping that this one seems to do best with, I'll generally grab an english blend. As others have said, the tobac seems to be of high quality with a mild honey casing that seems to burn off by the second half leaving a good clean and enjoyable smoke.

bilbohooker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bilbohooker (12)

Good old mixture. I've been smoking this blend for quite a while. This tobacco is not going to knock anyone's socks off, but, it isn't meant to. This is a steady, consistent blend that can be smoked anytime. Lightly aromatic, sometimes a little spice from the cavendish, and a good tobaccoey taste throughout.Forget Captain Black, this is the ultimate beginner's tobacco, although experienced smokers could enjoy this as an everyday tobacco as well. I consistently smoke this more and more. Highly recommended.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

If you know MacBaren tobaccos at all, you probably know this one. I seem to remember it saying on the pouch something about this being the best selling tobacco of all time. Maybe my memory's not so, uh, good. (It could be that Icepick Lobotomy I got back in the 50's) Anyway, this is a really good vague aromatic blend if you don't forget your Asbestos ToungeMitten TM.

I think it's the best tasting aromatic, ever. It's not candy, though it is sweet, and there is a good amount of tobacco flavor. Virginia and cased burley. I am at a loss to describe the actual flavor of the blend though. Sad, yes. But it just means you'll have to try it yourself. Be careful. If you get bitten during the light, set it down and come back after an hour, or a day. Mixture will handle a relight without any ashtray flavor, as I remember. If It takes a week to get the thing lit, well who cares? You're not going anywhere important, you smoke a pipe. It's worth it. C'mon. Everybody's got to try the world's (possibly but not probably) best selling tobacco ever.

Ok, wait, I just read the 'tin description' -I was sorta right, kinda. .

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

This is the quintessential Mac Baren, the defining experience of the honey-on-toast signature. Having learnt pipe smoking on Mac Baren products, tongue bite has never been a problem. The flavouring has been applied discreetly and does not stand in the way of the enjoyment of the tobacco, which in itself is a lovely warm weather melange. The room note never fails to please. A landmark in pipe tobacco territory, and unless there is a strong a priori aversion to aromatics, well worth a visit.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

This seems to be very similar to Dark Twist with just a little less virginia and then rubbed out. But mixture, is an absolutely enjoyable smoke. It is lightly cased but still has a very nice tobacco taste to it. A wonderful aroma. This is a very good standard blend that I highly recommend to the Virginia or aromatic smoker.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)

I tried this on a whim, I was really looking for Dark Twist (check review on that) but couldn't find it. Instead, I went for the keyword "Scottish" as I hadn't tried that particular "geographic" variety yet, and bought the 50g pouch.

The tobacco is said to consist of 35 (!) different types and is MacBaren's oldest mixture. This makes the presentation as complex as the taste(more later on that), with broken flake mingling with odd pieces and strands.

My first encounter then was on a pub crawl on one of those all too sparse hot summer nights, when you can stand in a short-sleeved shirt outdoors and drink cool beer in the vaning light (Sweden).

I had brought a small Chacom and unconciously did what OSR below describes; took a wad of the broken flake and stuffed it into the bowl, no rubbing no nothing just stuffing the bowl and strewing a few loose bits on top for lighting.

The lighting puffs rewarded me with thick, rich white smoke which had a complex sweet taste, the VA could be traced, the Burley and Cavendish as well and all held together by the sweet-sour flavouring. An aromatic, but not a candy, more of a weird caramelised eel pie (in a good sense, if that is possible). A truly great taste!

Although I smoked in a haphazard way, putting the pipe down for a sip of beer now and then, the pipe burned really hot towards the end of the first bowl, maybe as a result of the chemistry in the residues of previous tobaccos as someone suggested in an earlier review?

The taste was so good, I cursed myself for only bringing one pipe, so I cleaned it out with a furry cleaner, and let it lie for the time it took me to finish and order a new beer.

Once it had cooled down I repeated the stuffing procedure and lit up. Aahh, this was just as good as the first one! I repeated til I had smoked four bowls and the night chill forced me inside (where we are no longer allowed to smoke in a pub in Sweden :( ).

The day after I woke up with the slightest burn on my tongue and palate (probably due to the hasty smoking of the last part of the fourth bowl, although while I was drinking a few more beers before I went home and to bed, I did not notice it earlier. I even ate a kebab on the way home and ... wait a minute! The peperoni!), but it subsided in a few hours...

All in all this will be my regular smoke for outdoors activities like fly fishing for trout, pub crawling (outdoors) and the like, a pleasant surprise since it is readily available almost anywhere, and at a competitive price (at least in Sweden) compared to let's say Rattrays or G&H.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I thought I'd add a review for Mixture for only one reason: for the first time in twenty-five years of pipe smoking, I seem to be smoking this bite-free this year! Different smoking style? Change in body chemistry? Don't know, but I've always liked the flavour of this blend and now I can smoke as much as I want of it.

Can't explain it, but I'm glad I've kept an open mind about Mixture.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As I indicated in a previous review, the great blending houses all have their own distinct qualities in cut, nose and of course, taste. McClelland, Germain and MacBaren are especially memorable, and in some ways, so is Cornell & Diehl. Even blindfolded, as soon as you pop open a tin from one of these houses, it is hard not to know the manufacturer. I?ve tried a few MacBaren blends, and quite frankly, I?m not crazy about the taste, aroma or price. It reminds me a little too much of Amphora by Douwe Egberts, a blend I was never much in love with, and I prefer not to purchase large amounts of any one single blend unless I really like it. Macs only come in large 3.5 ounce tins. ?Mixture?, as it is simply called, is an exception. Yes, it has that Amphora Red ready rubbed cut and nose, but it?s much deeper and floral. The taste offers a medley of surprising flavors: chocolate Cavendish, Virginia, sweet Burley and other smoky subtleties I can?t put my finger on. The aroma is pleasantly aromatic, but whatever dressing is used, it is very light and does not intrude. Tin notes indicate that this is one of MacBaren?s oldest blends from the early 1950s. I can understand how it has endured. If you desire a pleasant crossover aromatic with a complexity of rich tobacco tastes, don?t miss this one. It?s every bit as good and deservedly popular as the tin notes claim.

Four of five stars

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (96)

Although I like this on occasion, it does need its own special loading and smoking techniques,already well described. Quirkyness in a consumer item can be charming (e.g., my car has three windshield wipers) or it can be annoying (ouch! my bad, I forgot.. this is that MacBaren mixture..).

It seems every blender has an ingredient motif that gets repeated in much of what they sell. GH has its soap, McClelland is famous for ketchup. Lane has its propylene glycol, Pease, perique. MacBaren's thing is honey. While I like honey, it becomes associated with pain and I unconsciously start avoiding other fine non-biting, cool-smoking blends like Navy Flake. Definitely not cool.

Here's what I'd recommend: If you want to smoke MacBaren hotties, either by choice or, like the rest of the world, lack of choice, smoke them consistently enough so the required techniques become second nature.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

6/2005 I needed to change my review of this blend because, after a break in pipe smoking, my tastes (and technique) seem to have changed.

So I knew before the break how to smoke this one whithout getting tongue bite - see other reviews : the "plug-method", and I already liked it, but now this has become one of my favorites. A real come-to blend. There's enough nicotine in there to keep me satisfied, although, of course, it is realy a mild blend. But it is tastewise that this blend gets to me everytime. A nice ever so mildly cased (typical mac honeylike casing) cavendish, that blends so perfectly with the virginias and the burleys, makes this an aromatic, but so subtle - do NOT expect BIG TASTE, or BIG KICK- that it borders on a straight smoke with a cavendish undertone always present. Roomnote is delicate and nicely sweet. Highest recomendations for pipers who can appreciate subtle smokes.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)

Is the "gold standar" for all th Mac Baren blends. Good Virginias and Burleys, a litle touch of cavendish. A litle poor in nicotine, but rich in flavor, easy to burn and very "social" tobacco... always welcome for the friends an wifes.

A classic mixture with a great reputation over the years.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)

I owe this blend a review for one important personal reason. This is the blend that made me believe in pipe smoking many years ago. Since then I have moved a long way from it, but there's always a place for it in my heart and a 100g tin in my cellar which is slowly consumed in perhaps a year or two. It has a mild casing which has proven to be commercially bulletproof through the years, since it's not overly sweet, goopy and unpleasant. It is really mild and it will burn the tongue if smoked carelessly. I have a couple of older pipes which are really imregnated with it and so sometimes in a grey winter day I pull one out, plug some Mixture in it and contemplate for an hour my younger days. Do yourself a favour if you try it: buy a 100g tin and not the 50g pouch, it will hold in there much better, because if it is dried out, your tongue will be really served on the grill. Gets a sentimental 3rd star from me

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

Great tobacco. Smokes consistantly good. Slight top note, nothing offensive but detectable. I like this on occasion and it seems to be available almost everywhere. Good tobacco and recommended.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Same as Mixture. I don't know why there are two catagories of the same tobacco.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Listen to meershaumj and mshelor: pack lightly, light up, and forget about it. Mac Baren Mixture is a straight forward blend that tastes very nice and is easy to smoke. I have never experienced any tongue bite with Mixture, but I have been smoking McClelland VAs for years. It does have a certain sharpness that I enjoy. I suspect that this blend would age really well.

I recommend Mac Baren Mixture to experienced smokers who are looking for a milder blend to start the day, or as an all day smoke.

Greytata Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greytata (9)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a straight forward pipe tobacco, a classic. No fancy aromas or nutty taste, plain tobacco, with a pleasant but not too intrusive aroma and a real smoking pleasure. It´s an hard-packer but when correctly done, it will be a long and pleasant smoke. Never got my tongue "fried", although it's a rather "dry" taste.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Ive smoked this blend for many years.Its a great summer blend.something about being in a fog of latikia in 90 degree weather while outside never turned me on.This blend starts hot but if you dont spazz on your pipe its does cool down very quickly.I dont rub it when smoking outside but do just a little to break it a bit while indoors.IT passes the wife test... she likes it! four years ago I bought a 5 lb. bag.I have about 4 oz left[bummer].Its gotten mellower and toaster in flavor and a bit richer as well! the aromatic agent is light in flavor and the blend always remains clean with the virgina present at all times.If you are a traveler this is a blend that you will find in many countrys.I read many people complaining that it doesnt have a lot of flavor.If you are mainly a latakia lover then youll not like this.I enjoy smoking many tobacco blends and I find this one to be an all dayer!

Very Mild Strong Medium to Full Unnoticeable

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

My second favorite blend in the Mac Baren line behind Virginia #1. The quality of tobaccos is excellent, the cut perfect and the taste super. A little drying out time won't hurt it, but it's good to go from the initial opening. I don't have tongue bite problems with this blend, but I notice it does tend to heat up the pipe. Not packing too tight and just the occasional tamp seems to help this and it's not really a problem. I buy this in 5 pound bulk from JR whenever I can and it just gets better and better. A classic.

Oh yeah- also see the listing for Scottish Mixture on this webpage. Same blend. And the tinned version of this stuff is better than the pouch IMO.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is simply delicious. This tobacco takes me back in time to that first time you smelled tobacco in someone's smoking pipe. I think Macbaren may be one of the best blenders out there. They may not have the elegance and class of some other blending houses, but they more than make up for it with a manly, rich, and classic taste. This blend is perfect for smoking outdoors, especially while doing something recreational (like pheasant hunting!). Unlike a lot of other reviewers, I have never suffered from the legendary Macbaren bite. I don't think it's half as justified as some other brands like McClelland and Samuel Gawith. Don't get me wrong, I love both of these brands dearly, but I must smoke them with much more caution. I find Macbarens to be much more worry free. They can bite, but only if provoked. All in all this is a blend I will keep on hand at all times, and probably smoke at least once every couple of days. Heck, if I don't get tired of it, maybe even more!

meerschaumj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaumj (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Just recently I decided to try Mac Baren tobacco, and thought Mixture would be a great place to start. Usually smoking VA blends and flakes, I thought my slow smoking technique was sufficient for this blend, after reading so much about Mac's tendency to fry tongues. What the hey, no problem, right? WRONG! First bowl was hot and very hard to control, god, I'm a toasted-tongue newbie again! I mean the tobacco quality is great, nice flavours and aroma, interesting stuff- but now I'm thinking WOW, there are smokers puffin' this stuff all day long? What's wrong with this picture? So I decided to consult an experienced Mac smoker, who quickly and dryly said- Mac's tobaccos and Mixture need to be packed a little softer than most tobaccos, allowing a light draw, this allows a cooler burn and better taste. I was a bit sceptical about this seemingly too-simple-explanation, nevertheless away I go again to light the old flamethrower- only this time packing very soft, a little lighter on the "man's hand" bit. The smoke was night and day. I couldn't believe it. :) From raging fire animal to smooth and cool. Dramatic. This blend is really a great one, full of nuances in both meerschaum or briar. Now its quickly becoming my regular puff, and no more bite. Now I don't expect anyone to believe, but some reviewers said they liked Mac Baren but the heat was a little too much for them. I urge smokers to re-try their Mac blends(all!)and try the above-you may, like me, find a more pleasant, well-behaved smoke! Mixture is getting better for me now with every smoke, truly deserving its classic status.

Update: I have observed when smoking this blend in older pipes, which were previously smoked and "broken in" with other tobaccos, that the first bowl seems to smoke hot. But, after a few bowls of mixture, strangely enough, they mellow out and smoke just fine. The "hot" effect that most people experience when trying Mixture for the first time, may partly be a reaction (at first)to residues from other tobaccos previously smoked. I've tried this out on 4 older pipes, all with the same results.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)

I got a pouch of this tobacco when I returned a pouch of "Only Tobacco" that turned out to have a fuzzy white coat of mold on it. Since I had never tried Mixture before I thought I'd give it a shot. The tobacco is on the aromatic side, but nothing compared to a full aromatic like Vanilla Flake. The smell of the tobacco is something like a mix between Dark Twist and Plum Cake. The tobacco itself is cut into thick strips that almost border on flakes. For this reason packing your pipe is a bit different from regular lose ready-rubbed tobaccos. A bit tighter of a tamp is required for good burning. Despipte the chunkyness of the tobacco it lights easily and burns well. The flavor is sweet, but there are nice hints of Burley and Virginia that work well with the flavour of the casing. As far as burning characteristics this is one of the few aromatics that doesn't leave a goopy mess at the bottom of your pipe. The flavour becomes stronger in the last third of the bowl but it never becomes unpleasant. One thing I have noticed about this tobacco is that it tends to burn quite hot and it is a must to pay attention to your smoking technique or pay the concequences. I have the impression that this tobacco could bite like a rabid weasel on crack if you let your guard down when smoking. The room note is nice and most wives won't mind being around this one. This is a very decent light aromatic that has a lot to reccomend it.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (37)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Overall, a pleasent smoke. Obviously the blend that almost all Mac Barens are based on, for very obvious reasons!

An unassuming but notable blend, this is a good stand-by. Predicable and tasty with little bite and a good overall aroma.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

I buy this at the only "smoke shop" in my small town that has a very limited selection of weed, but I like to support the local economy! This certainly is tasty tobacco, primarily due to the quality Virginia that comes forth. This blend will not inspire deep thoughts, but it tastes good enough to smoke while you're doing something else. If it didn't want to burn so hot, I would smoke this more often. Definitely worth trying, esp. if you lean toward Virginias, but new smokers and rowdy puffers beware: you will get bit!

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I love this tobacco & reall enjoy the Virginia in it which come's slightly more to the fore.It's nicely rounded by the Cavendish & Burley as well,so perhap's I should say it's like best of three world's.It has a nice sweet taste but if puffed to fast may tend to bite a just a 'little'.And it's very easy to light & behave's well right through to the bottom of the bowl,leaving a nice clean ash.This was in a pouch. 4 out of 5 star's.

This blend is a pretty typical MacBaren Cavendish with golden to dark brown tobacccos that have been rubbed out. I only had a sample quantity but that was enough for several bowls. The pouch and room aroma and taste are quite sweet but the casing is not overpowering and you can still believe that you're smoking tobacco and not candy. Compliments on the room aroma, which are quite rare in my house, were received from the family and indicate that this blend offers the nice balance of personal enjoyment without offending non-smokers. The Burley and Virginia also contribute to the varying flavor during the smoke. Although I normally don't smoke such aromatic blends, I'll reserve some of this one for next year when it again gets hot & humid and I'm again looking for a mild but still enjoyable smoke.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first reviewed this blend it was after some really bad experiences on my first three bowls. Fortunately the problem was not with the tobacco but the pipe itself! Since smoking it regularly in some better pipes I can say that this is truly a great blend!

The flavor is a combination of honey and licorice. It has the MacBaren burn and if smoked properly it's good to the last puff. I now smoke this regularly.

sethg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sethg (5)

I picked this up from a local tobacconist, who had it bulk in jars. The appearance is light to medium brown rubbed out tobacco with dark yellow flecks, and the smell is toasty and sweet, very delicious. It packs easily, with a very slight springiness. It took two charring lights before it lit; from this point on, relights were very easy (and far between). At this point, I have to disclose that this is my first burley blend; I chose it because the description says it is mixed with matured Virginias, a tobacco I like quite a bit. My first taste of this mixture is a very suble, slightly-smoky flavor. This develops into what could be described as "tobacco-y" (like I remember cigarettes hand-rolled with Drum tobacco tasting); I have heard/read Burley described as "cigar-y", that also captures the flavor. Flavor development continues throughout the bowl, alternating between this cigar-iness and what could best be described as a smoked fish flavor, like a smoked whitefish. There is an occasional, slight flirtation of sweetness of the matured Virginia making its presence felt. Overall, however, there is the subtle alternation between the "tobacco" flavor and the smoked fish flavor (I will probably be crucified on ASP for such a description). It is very enjoyable, and as it finishes, there is a final, new flavor emerging, that I can only compare to...celery. It is _very_ subtle, really more of an aftertaste in the mouth than a taste of the smoke proper, but it is definitely there. All in all, a very pleasant foray into the world of burleys and an intriguing blend I will smoke occasionally as an alternative to straight Virginias. Am I rushing out to stock the larder with this mixture? No, but it will certainly be pleasant for the occasional smoke.