BrandRattray
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Packaging50g or 100g Tin
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild, Medium
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Mild to Medium

2.4
O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (37)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Called a 'loose cut' by K&K, the Virginia is a fine cut ribbon with somewhat wider and shorter ribbons of burley. This is very beautiful tobacco! Gold with gold! And very easy to work into the pipe.

Tin smell: fruity. They swear there is no top flavor, so this is casing, and very present.

The smoke is very light with a wee bit of tar providing the counterbalance to the light fruitiness of the casing which is the mainstay of this blend.

Surprisingly it does convey a bit of nicotine.

Innocuous at best, I find little to recommend this tobacco beyond its spectacular appearance and easy workability.

Although K&K produce many first rate tobaccos, this one is somewhat of a mystery to me. Many will question its inclusion in their British Collection.

Summation: harmless. One star.

After writing the above I bumped into an old acquaintance in town who has also been smoking 'English' mixtures for over 40 years. Gave him a sample of Compton's #21 which I was smoking when we met. He handed over a mixture he had just made and said he used a good portion of a new blend from Rattray's, Macbeth, that was just too flavourless alone. He had added some Latakia, a bit of Orient etc. Later I smoked his mixture and it worked well, so there's an argument. It has potential as a mixer and that ups this recommendation to two stars for now. Perhaps it will develop with age.

Age When Smoked: three weeks (new on the market)

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (163)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is an aromatic blend that fans of that genre should enjoy. Mostly Virginia, with a little Burley added for coolness, this blend delivers as promised. The tobaccos used are first rate and burn evenly to the bottom of the bowl. The taste is light and fruity. It is definitely a clone of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend, as it's supposed to be. My first bowl had too much casing for my taste, so I left the tin open overnight to air. Subsequent bowls have reduced the casing to a manageable level. This is not a blend that I will order again, as the casing completely overwhelms the tobacco taste. Try mixing it, one part Macbeth with three parts Virginia 40. Makes a perfect light aromatic.

brainexhaust Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brainexhaust (3)

This is a very attractive tobacco blend, with an overall mahogany hue. Closer examination reveals some darker bits, grading to light tan virginias, but nothing resembling black cavendish. Moisture is perfect for me, and the tin note is very fruity. The fruit aroma is more citrus than darker dried fruits such as raisins or figs.

Macbeth packs very easily using the three-stage method. I usually use the Frank method, which works very well with this. Two matches and it's lit.

The flavor is on the light side, and is primarily Virginia. I can tell there is some Burley in there but can't pick out individual flavors. This is definitely fruity, but to me the predominant flavor is tobacco. There is some essence added that I can't identify, but I would not call this an aromatic. There is also some bitey tingle, which I would attribute to red Virginia, as I am sensitive to the red. It is not distracting, though. Nicotine is evident, but never gets over mild-medium. Overall a very pleasant smoke that I enjoy.

It is worth noting that this is purported to be K&K's version of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes after Peterson switched blending houses from K&K to Mac Baren a couple years ago. The tobacco looks and smells identical in the tin to SH, but the taste is a little lighter with a tad less nicotine. The bite, to me, is a little more evident in Macbeth than SH, but it is not overly so. If I had to choose, I would give the nod to SH, but I enjoy both. 3.5 stars.

Pipe Used: Sorn Dublin

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Peterson's Sherlock Holmes.

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (41)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Upon opening I encountered a nice looking tobacco with a slight tin note , this looked like something that I would enjoy . A high quality Virginia , nicely cut , with an acceptable moisture level . And a Ratray's no less . Wow . But that's all folks . Almost no taste . Toward the bottom of one bowl I achieved a little Virginia taste , but very slight . But the can proved very valuable after all . I used it to cut my favorite Samuel Gawith tobaccos ro cut through their extreme moisture and add nothing to their fine flavor . As a mixer give this one 4 stars but on it's own , 2 is a gift.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Rattray - Macbeth.

The tin contains a perfectly medium brown tobacco, that's all there is to say about that! It's of a good moistness, just ready to be smoked straight-off. At first the blend seems 'no nonsense', that is, until I put my nose to the tin; I have to concur with O'Confrere from 11/03/14: it smells quite heavily of fruit.

Once it's in my pipe and burning, that's when I get nonplussed; there is a fruity edge, but it's nowhere near as strong as the tin note had implied. Actually, there's not much more than the usual citrus/fruit flavours that would normally hail from Virginia, without the addition of any toppings.

Aside from the superbly loud and brash Virginia, I also get a very good taste of Burley: it's nutty, slightly toasty, and it sort of brings the blend back down to earth and stops the Virginia being a show-off!

Regarding strength, I feel comfortable putting it in the mild-medium category. I wouldn't quantify it as mild alone, it gives me just a bit more than that.

Problems? Well, I'm starting to think that this may arise from my style as it's a common issue for me lately: speed of burn. With my first bowl of Macbeth, I put the tamper to the bowl to adjust the smoke, and it shot to the bottom; I was tamping ash! It had all burned in no time at all!

Forgetting my rubbish style of piping though, I somewhat enjoy this; I don't 'four-star-love-it', but I do 'three-star-like-it'!

Recommended.