Macbeth is based on an old recipe, but the taste is still timely. Enjoy the natural aroma of pure, fully ripe Virginia the best quality in combination with burley. Sometimes the most delicious blends do not require many ingredients. "Macbeth" is the best proof.

BrandRattray

2.3
O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Called a 'loose cut' by K&K, the Virginia is a fine cut ribbon with somewhat wider and shorter ribbons of burley. This is very beautiful tobacco! Gold with gold! And very easy to work into the pipe.

Tin smell: fruity. They swear there is no top flavor, so this is casing, and very present.

The smoke is very light with a wee bit of tar providing the counterbalance to the light fruitiness of the casing which is the mainstay of this blend.

Surprisingly it does convey a bit of nicotine.

Innocuous at best, I find little to recommend this tobacco beyond its spectacular appearance and easy workability.

Although K&K produce many first rate tobaccos, this one is somewhat of a mystery to me. Many will question its inclusion in their British Collection.

Summation: harmless. One star.

After writing the above I bumped into an old acquaintance in town who has also been smoking 'English' mixtures for over 40 years. Gave him a sample of Compton's #21 which I was smoking when we met. He handed over a mixture he had just made and said he used a good portion of a new blend from Rattray's, Macbeth, that was just too flavourless alone. He had added some Latakia, a bit of Orient etc. Later I smoked his mixture and it worked well, so there's an argument. It has potential as a mixer and that ups this recommendation to two stars for now. Perhaps it will develop with age.

Age When Smoked: three weeks (new on the market)

brainexhaust Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brainexhaust (5)

This is a very attractive tobacco blend, with an overall mahogany hue. Closer examination reveals some darker bits, grading to light tan virginias, but nothing resembling black cavendish. Moisture is perfect for me, and the tin note is very fruity. The fruit aroma is more citrus than darker dried fruits such as raisins or figs.

Macbeth packs very easily using the three-stage method. I usually use the Frank method, which works very well with this. Two matches and it's lit.

The flavor is on the light side, and is primarily Virginia. I can tell there is some Burley in there but can't pick out individual flavors. This is definitely fruity, but to me the predominant flavor is tobacco. There is some essence added that I can't identify, but I would not call this an aromatic. There is also some bitey tingle, which I would attribute to red Virginia, as I am sensitive to the red. It is not distracting, though. Nicotine is evident, but never gets over mild-medium. Overall a very pleasant smoke that I enjoy.

It is worth noting that this is purported to be K&K's version of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes after Peterson switched blending houses from K&K to Mac Baren a couple years ago. The tobacco looks and smells identical in the tin to SH, but the taste is a little lighter with a tad less nicotine. The bite, to me, is a little more evident in Macbeth than SH, but it is not overly so. If I had to choose, I would give the nod to SH, but I enjoy both. 3.5 stars.

Pipe Used: Sorn Dublin

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Peterson's Sherlock Holmes.

Sand-to dark brown ribbon cut with a tin aroma of fruit, although I think it's less "fruit" and more something like cognac or rum, with an OTC-like tobacco scent underneath. Easy to load and I found that a tight pack was best, as this stuff burned like dryer fluff.

I'm always saying that tobacco reviews should be based on AT LEAST an ounce in order to have anything resembling reliability. A smoker just has no clue about the blend after a bowl or two. There are a few exceptions (heavy aromatics)... and this one. I smoked the entire 4 oz over a month's time. I smoked it after breakfast, outside, before dinner, late at night, in bowls of all sizes, shapes and makeup. I DBT'd it, I puffed it fast and slow, I snorked and mouth-puffed. I smoked it every which way. At no time did it's presentation alter in the slightest. The cognac/rum (or whatever) topping was present in every puff, lending a bitter-sweetness that was clearly not Virginia-based. The tobacco flavor was non-descript... it may as well have been a Marlboro. It tasted "tobacco-y". Sweet Virginia lovers can avoid this one, as well as those that are looking for a nutty burley. All the overused reviewer adjectives were thrown out the window. This was simply tobacco with flavoring (and shame on K&K for claiming no flavoring in this one!). Not a bad blend, but definitely not British and certainly nothing from the mind of Charles Rattray. I have another tin that I'm going to use as a blender.

A very nice VaBur. The Virginias are sweet hay. The Burley is a little sweet and a shade more nutty than earthy. More Burley here than in 40 Virginia making this a little more fuller and rounder. It can burn just a little warm if you puff like I do, but it maintains it's flavor nicely. Solid 3 stars.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. No added flavorings. Burns very well. I notice some folks aren't getting much flavor from this. I get plenty in a cob. That may be the difference. Haven't tried this in a a briar and I probably won't. Burley suits me better in a cob.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Rattray - Macbeth.

The tin contains a perfectly medium brown tobacco, that's all there is to say about that! It's of a good moistness, just ready to be smoked straight-off. At first the blend seems 'no nonsense', that is, until I put my nose to the tin; I have to concur with O'Confrere from 11/03/14: it smells quite heavily of fruit.

Once it's in my pipe and burning, that's when I get nonplussed; there is a fruity edge, but it's nowhere near as strong as the tin note had implied. Actually, there's not much more than the usual citrus/fruit flavours that would normally hail from Virginia, without the addition of any toppings.

Aside from the superbly loud and brash Virginia, I also get a very good taste of Burley: it's nutty, slightly toasty, and it sort of brings the blend back down to earth and stops the Virginia being a show-off!

Regarding strength, I feel comfortable putting it in the mild-medium category. I wouldn't quantify it as mild alone, it gives me just a bit more than that.

Problems? Well, I'm starting to think that this may arise from my style as it's a common issue for me lately: speed of burn. With my first bowl of Macbeth, I put the tamper to the bowl to adjust the smoke, and it shot to the bottom; I was tamping ash! It had all burned in no time at all!

Forgetting my rubbish style of piping though, I somewhat enjoy this; I don't 'four-star-love-it', but I do 'three-star-like-it'!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meerschaum Claw

Age When Smoked: Four months

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (61)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Upon opening I encountered a nice looking tobacco with a slight tin note , this looked like something that I would enjoy . A high quality Virginia , nicely cut , with an acceptable moisture level . And a Ratray's no less . Wow . But that's all folks . Almost no taste . Toward the bottom of one bowl I achieved a little Virginia taste , but very slight . But the can proved very valuable after all . I used it to cut my favorite Samuel Gawith tobaccos ro cut through their extreme moisture and add nothing to their fine flavor . As a mixer give this one 4 stars but on it's own , 2 is a gift.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (171)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I quite agree with DK’s recent review you can read below. The tin aroma is sugary, fruity but I do not perceive any rum or cognac. The smell is certainly sweet but impossible to identify exactly. The tobacco burns very quickly and it seems to be a cigarette tobacco. It could be a RYO tobacco, although the cut is a ribbon/loose cut and not properly a shag. Anyway, for a better tasting you have to smoke slowly. There is flavoring, yes, but it is more topping than casing. Overall a slightly flavored blend, modest, that does not stand out. Not for Virginia lovers, not for Burley lovers and not for aromatic lovers. This blend is a compromise that could be appreciated by all those who have not too marked preferences. In my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 6 and two stars.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I did enjoy Dunhill's recent Va/Bur offering (see below in the "similar" section), and thought I'd try this one, too.

The ribbon inside the tin is very close to what Dunhill is offering on most mixtures, with the VA being almost roll-your-own sized, the Burley being a little wider. The tin scent is a little bubblegum-ish, very fruity. I'm betting on a light sauce being on the VA here. The colour is mostly medium brown, some yellow highlights from the brighter VAs in there.

Stuffing and lighting are easy, so is maintenance. Even outdoors, this blend does not get overly hot, so this is a blend I would recommend to beginners. A clear point in favour.

On the other hand, the flavour leaves a bit to be desired. There is little depth, nor the full sweetness the Dunhill offer has, my overall impression was a little watery. There is enough sweetness, but I cannot find anything to set this blend apart. It feels a little undecided: does it want to be a Burley, or a VA blend? And so it is stranded in between.

Not a 'baccy to throw away, there is some enjoyment to be found, but not one I'll buy again.

Pipe Used: no-name billiard, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: DanPipe, Lauenburg, Germany

Similar Blends: Dunhill - My Mixture 221B Baker Street (Re-release).

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (61)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well this is certainly pretty uninteresting.

Fruit and honey. Nice ribbon cut. Burns a bit hot if not careful. High quality tobaccos as with most Rattray's blends. However, it's cased too much for my liking, so I've put it in a jar to mellow out for a bit as in it's current state, there's no way I could smoke this or keep it in my daily rotation. It's just too uneventful.

Pipe Used: Various