A light Cavendish blend (in a straight Cavendish cut) consisting of quality mild flue-cured Virginia tobaccos, which are carefully developed through a gentle Cavendish process. The very mild taste comes from the ripe cherries in combination with the light sweetness of the Cavendish. No. 3 Very Cherry is very enjoyable on its own.

Notes: Since the Peter Stokkebye tobaccos are now being produced and distributed by a new company, the Villiger have spent much time and effort bringing back the most popular blends from their line. Now produced by MacBaren, these aptly named Newminster blends have passed all the initial tests for quality, taste, and character. Newminster pipe tobacco is a line that you will enjoy!

Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMac Baren/Villiger
Very Mild, Mild
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (68)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Way too much cherry flavor for me. Overpowering in my opinion almost medicinal in flavor. I need to taste the Virginia's in any Cavendish. No. 3 Very Cherry masks even the slightest hint of these flavors. I suppose this could be mixed perhaps a third No. 3, a third red Virginia and a third BCA and maybe have some redeeming virtues but as a stand alone it just doesn't appeal to me. The pouch note is as sweet as the flavor and it does taste natural for the first third of the bowl and then gives way to a cough syrup like taste. It does have a nicotine punch though but its not a saving characteristic for me. I don't see ever ordering this again.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Very Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Other than the name this blend shares little with the same named product from Lane Ltd. VC#3 from Newminster features a heavy but excellent Cherry flavor that is not artificial, but very realistic.

The long ribbons packed easily enough and readily take a match; from there one is swamped in a sweet, delightful cherry blend. Heretofore the only cherry I really could tolerate was Caminetto Barolo, but this is as pleasant even if more forward in flavoring by far. VC#3 allows some tobacco flavor to come through despite the room note being strong enough to bring my wife in from her garden and ask what I was smoking. Every time I load this she comments positively. As with the Lane, I must keep this separate from everything else I own. It also could be used as a room potpourri as the Lane, but one that is very pleasant and perhaps worth the extra storage needs.

Pipe Used: Corncobs, dedicated briar

Age When Smoked: New sample

Purchased From:

Similar Blends: Lane Very Cherry.

Auld Eire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auld Eire (12)

If you think all cherry aromatics are the same, try Newminster Very Cherry. This is a lightly cased cherry Virginia that really satisfies the sweet tooth. They say it's blended by MacBaren, but the Virginia is what stands our here. The cherry serves as a mild enhancement to the natural red Virginia sweetness. Honestly, it's the best of both worlds. Mild good instead of mild murky. Sweet, but TOBACCO sweet.

Pipe Used: Preben Holm Harcourt_BBB_Peterson_Savinelli 320

Age When Smoked: ?bulk?

Purchased From: Pipes and

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith Celtic Talisman.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (92)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Cherry it certainly is, enduring in my rotation it certainly is not. I received this a few times as a sample and I just can't bring myself to buy it (in any quantity). I do find myself craving a well put together cherry from time to time, but this one just doesn't cut it for me. Svendborg Kirsberry and Capt. Black Red Sky are still the tops in my books as far as cherry blends are concerned, Newminister is just too akin to all the other sub par bulk cherries.

Similar Blends: Middleton's Cherry.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (102)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm still exploring Aro's and this one was a great discovery. Really nice natural cherry flavour that has been put on with a light hand. No detectable PG and a very nice base virginia. I got this as a free sample (Thanks smokingpipes!) and have since ordered 4oz more. Good stuff and those around you will love it.