Virginia tobaccos, ranging in color from golden to chocolate brown, have been combined with sun-dried Indian leaf and ennobled with a very fine plum aroma. (Flavouring: 3 out of 5; strength: 4 out of 5; room scent: 3 out of 5.)

Notes: After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake.

The tin of Wallace Flake notes, "We would describe 'Wallace Flake' as the Holy Grail among the flakes. Try these extraordinary creation, and you will know why we stick out our neck that far. Virginia tobaccos, whose color ranges from golden to chocolate brown, were combined with sun-dried India and finally refined with a very fine plum aroma."

BrandRattray
Taste
3.1
O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)

Beautiful dark flake mottled with lighter elements.

Tin note: plum, but not overly so. May be a casing. If a topping done very lightly.

A flake more in the English tradition (think Capstan, Four Square, perhaps) than in the Danish.

Flavorful, enjoyable, bordering on the stout, it rubs out well, burns slowly and well, providing a good medium (noticeable) dose of nicotine.

No big surprises in flavor. The plum is attractive, not overwhelming, but present. This is a good combination of burley nuttiness and the complexity offered by a balanced blend of Virginias with qualities including depth, sweetness and a touch of tanginess. It doesn't bite.

While it is a very serviceable smoke and a head above many flakes out there, it will probably remain an occasional smoke for this smoker, a welcome change of pace. Nice to see a new flake of this quality appear!

A solid smoke , refreshing and satisfying, this virginia/burley flake is sure to win a following! It's a fine addition to the flakes currently on the market.

Recommended!

Age When Smoked: two weeks (just on the market)

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mostly dark flakes in a nifty presentation flat tin, said flakes being infinitely foldable, which is how I preferred it. Tin nose of rich tobacco with the topping being very noticeable. This is said to be Peterson's University Flake with a different blender. I always thought UF had a blueberry topping but this claims to be plum. Whatever... figuring out artificial flavorings is hardly a talent of mine.

Some interesting differences between this and UF. First of all, the flakes are purtier here whereas the UF flakes were pretty ragged. Second, this one seems to have less burley and more Virginia whereas UF was burleyburleyburley... and oh yeah, a little Virginia. Taste wise this was smoother but seemed to carry the plum flavoring longer thru the bowl. In other words, this is more heavily flavored. Which is ok, because I think the plum sauce is this one's selling point. You can find unflavored VaBurs all over but how many plum flavored ones are there? This was a sweet flake due to the apparent higher VA concentration as well as the more robust flavoring, which stayed with me thru the entire bowl. But it also had a nice underlying richness, if not as potent in the nicotine department as UF. As happens often, if this is supposed to be a match, another visit to the drawing board is in order. But on its own, it's a sweet flavored mostly VA flake that will appeal to those who like flavoring but prefer a choicer batch of leaf than the average goopy aromatic. A nice once in awhile smoke for me, and I would imagine a tin would last me a year! But well worth a shot if the thought of blueberry tobacco doesn't make you cringe.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Rattray Wallace Flake. These are dark flakes with a lot of small light flecks throughout. I note how a few others point out that their flakes hydration is too much but my flakes are of a superb amount. The smell coming from them has a detectable fruit aroma to it but it isn't a strong 'aromatic' one by any means. When I rub the flakes out I have to use a little extra pressure, they aren't ridiculously hard but the aren't the easiest to prepare. The first good point with the smoking of this is getting it ignited, I often as not use my jet lighter for flake blends but Wallace Flake only needs a touch of my regular lighter. The flavour of Wallace Flake is very similar to Peterson University Flake, the Burley and Virginia both take an equal share of the taste with a very subtle plum addition in the background. The burn is a consistent one that gives off a medium temperature smoke that is of a construction that's not too thick nor thin and gives no bite. The nicotine amount suits me perfectly, I would say it's again the same as University Flake. The room note is quite good in the fact it isn't too much but I can't notice any plum in it really. I was excited when I noticed this one as I adore University Flake and Wallace Flake has definitely met my expectations! To be succinct, if you like University' then you will enjoy this. Four stars.

Pipe Used: Comoys Elegance

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Similar Blends: Peterson University Flake.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (103)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have been smoking University Flake on and off for years, ever since the old tin art and the old blender (Murray's ?).

Now, unless I bought a tin of the current production UF and Wallace Flake, and did a side by side, I could not tell you exactly if these are now the same blend or not.

First of all strength, nicotine, is less than the UF of old, of this I'm sure, but this is still a tobacco with underlying backbone and decent relaxation capability.

Second, Wallace Flake, or WF, is even smoother, slightly sweeter,and the top note a bit more persistent and more pleasing than my memory of UF. If I had to guess, I'd agree with the reviewer who thought there was more VA in WF than UF.

Either way this is a great semi-sweet smoke, utterly bite free, and I am very sensitive to various forms of bite from many blends.

Easy to rub out, and easy to smoke, as long as it isn't packed too tightly, as the rubbed out flake is still very dense and long lasting.

This is still the best blend to load in your pipe at the end of the day when you don't want any pipe related drama, as all the flavors here are rounded and smooth smooth smooth.

Similar Blends: University Flake.

Grrr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grrr (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a newbie returnee to pipe smoking perhaps precludes me from giving a qualified review of this tobacco, but here's my take.

I was steered towards this when another choice was unavailable. Its my first experience of a flake, but pleasing in the ease with which it rubbed out. I found it stronger than other tobaccos I've been using, but also very dependant on the pipe used. Some suggest filling the pipe by folding the flakes in a "Z" and pushing them down in the bowl - that method gave me the strongest smoke, no doubt the preference of some?

I found the nicotine hit a bit full on with an unfiltered small bowl pipe, but much more to my liking with a 9mm filter in my large bowl Zettervig, which smoothed the (to me) rough edge and, and enabled me to discern a mild though pleasing background note of plum.

I would perhaps revisit it but at present wouldn't hurry back in preference to say a black cavendish. To me this one isn't so much for newbies as seasoned smokers who like a bigger hitting flake. For that reason I won't allow my inexperience to get in the way of giving it a "fair" 3 out of 4.

Pipe Used: Milville mini, MM corn, Zettervig (filtered)

Purchased From: Piperack, Newcastle, Staffs

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is in fact Peterson's University Flake under a new label. Rattrays produce a lot of Peterson stuff now according to (hopefully) the old recipes. I sincerely hope it's not gonna be "new masters, new rules" like what has happened so many blends in the past.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Curiosity Hut

Similar Blends: Same as University Flake but more expensive..

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice to find a new-ish flake out there. Tin note is hay like and very minute sweetness. The flakes are dense, moist and very dark. I find that the "plum cake" is very faint. This stuff smokes nice and cool in a small chambered pipe. Ash is pale grey. It is mellow and easily French inhaled and is subtle in its sweetness. A beautiful flake definitely worth a try.

Pipe Used: Peterson et al

Purchased From: Jades Smokers Corner

The grassy/hay-like citrusy, lightly dark fruity, woody, earthy Virginias also sport a hint of floralness as it takes the lead over the obvious earthy, nutty, lightly molasses sweet and spicy, toasty burley. The plum topping mildly tones down the tobacco, and weakens slightly in the last quarter of the experience. The plum is not quite as rich as it is in University Flake. The strength and taste levels fall a tad short of medium. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has no rough edges. Burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a fairly consistent flavor. Leaves little dampness in the bowl and needs a few relights. Has a pleasant after taste, and can be an all day smoke.

Coffeewaterbeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coffeewaterbeer (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My normal rotation has a noticeable lack of aromatic blends but there are a few out there I do enjoy. Having been a fan of Pete's Uni Flake I was excited to take Wallace Flake out for a spin as TR reviews all noted the similarity of the two blends. While not exact copies of each other, I believe close cousins fit the bill here. Wallace presented itself as a darker flake and just a hair wider in the tin, beautiful presentation. The tin aroma on opening was a deep intoxicating fermented smell, heaven in a metal box. The blueberry (I don't get the plum labeling, plum is commonly used but often isn't a static taste to me), wasn't an isolated smell, I got more stewed fruit/fermented VA than anything. The real treat here was the first light. With more Va than burley compared to the Peterson offering, I found this to be very smooth. I'm realizing I can be sensitive to VA's even when sipped at a snails pace. These Va's are friendly and don't rough up my tongue like brighter ginny leaves. Moisture level is normal to me. While it can and does do well with some dry time, it's not required. Best results for me is to pre-load a bowl to be smoked hours later, not a fully exposed dry time but enough to get a nice burn going. The topping does stick around longer than with UF which I do enjoy. While I'm not a big Aro fan, I find the background aromatic blends like this excellent for a change from full latakia blends. As the bowl progresses the flavor stays rich and full flavored without ever becoming overbearing or turning sour/burnt. This is a steady, easy smoke all the way. My favorite bowl for this is my new H Weibe Radiator Chimney as the tall narrow bowl concentrates the deep VA flavor and makes for an effortless smoke. Price wise, you're going to pay a dollar or two more for the tin than UF but for the ease of use and better taste throughout, it's worth the investment.

I plan on trying another Rattray's flake, Stirling, very soon. Being a cousin to Pete's Irish Flake, I have hopes that Stirling will soar above IF like Wallace does to Uni.

Link to H Weibe pipes site (mods remove if it's not permitted to share here)

Pipe Used: H Weibe Radiator Chimney

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin, no date

Similar Blends: Uni Flake (but better).

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (43)

This tastes very much like MacB's Mixture Flake. It certainly looks, smells and feels exactly the same. And that's good (but confusing for this aged brain). To my mind, a VaBur smoker's aromatic (being very non-aromatic save for the room note which is pure tobacco with Fabreze). I very much enjoy all of its characteristics (moisture, lighting, ease of maintenance, flavor, etc.). Just note that it's very light in nicotine. That's fine by me alternatively. Go dark burley one bowl, this the next and you'll be good.

Pipe Used: I'm a straight billiard/dublin/pot guy

Age When Smoked: new from etailer

Purchased From: smokingpipes.com; pipesandcigars.com

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (50)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was a weird one for me. First of all, Rattray (along with Solani) are responsible for some of my most beloved flakes ever, those being Marlin Flake and 633, respectively. And having enjoyed University Flake in the past, I was very curious about this blend.

Tin note - very nice. Pretty much exactly like University Flake, which I just had a tin of a few weeks ago. Even the color, cut and thickness of the flakes are pretty much identical. So far so good.

Oddly enough, the first half of my tin was horrible. It was just completely tasteless and boring. All I would get was a terrible ashy taste. Thinking that it could be my pipe, I put it in rotation. It went through Petersons, Nordings, cobs and a meerschaum. Always that same ashy taste.

Being pretty disappointed and discouraged, I took the remaining flakes and put them into a jar for a week and forgot about it, and went back to my Solani blends.

Just one week of waiting completely changed this blend in such an incredible way I don't even have words for it. It was now bursting with flavor, and the plum taste was very, very nice - right down to the end of the bowl. I rub out my flakes completely (the fold and stuff method just doesn't do it for me anymore) so it packs with no problem, and lights with no problem. Tamp once or twice and you'll reach the bottom of your bowl no problem.

It doesn't come wet out of the tin or anything - mine was just perfect - but after you open it up, just let it rest for a week or so. Don't smoke any of it fresh. Just open it and forget about it for a while.

Even though I hated it at first because I had never had a Rattray's blend act up on me like this before, but now I give it a solid three stars. Much better than University Flake. More Virginia than Burley, more flavor, more topping, and just tastier.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

buroak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
buroak (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

If success truly is the greatest revenge, then Kohlhase & Kopp have dealt full retribution for Peterson's decision to move the production of University Flake to Scandinavian Tobacco Group. I did not smoke Peterson's University Flake when it was made by K&K, but I can say that Wallace Flake is much better than STG's version of University Flake. Wallace Flake outshines University Flake against almost every metric.

The Virginias are more bread- and oat-like than grassy, with a sweetness independent of the topping. The Burley offers nuttiness in greater proportion than earthiness. There is also some spice from the Burley. The topping is said to be plum, and my taste buds and nose mostly agree with that claim. Still, I cannot help but also sense a blueberry flavor. My detection of blueberry may be due solely to previous reviews and the power of suggestion, but I will not pretend I do not pick up the flavor.

Whatever fruit flavorings are or are not in the mix, the flavor is quite excellent. The topping, which never really fades, harmonizes perfectly with the Virginias and Burley to produce an overall flavor impression much like an honest-to-goodness homemade muffin. Please do not take that description to mean this is some goopy aromatic. I said homemade muffin, not store-bought corn syrupy mini muffin. You will taste the tobacco under the topping. Indeed, the tobacco tastes are every bit as present and important as the taste of the added flavoring.

In terms of nicotine content the strength of this blend is just below medium. Taste is also medium. I never got even a hint of bite. If one can handle a medium nicotine content all day, then this could be an all-day smoke. This does require a few more relights than University Flake, but I have no hesitation in awarding four stars to Wallace Flake.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (117)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Flakes come in a nice tin and are very similar to University Flake. Dark-Medium brown flakes with flecks of yellow and black here and there. Smells like sweet hay with a hint of plum right out of the tin. The flakes were the perfect moisture in my opinion and were easy to fold and load into my pipe.

Lighting took a few tries, but nothing extreme. Very pleasant smell and flavor. Rich virginia sweetness balanced with a bit of nutty/spicy burley flavors. The plum topping adds a slight fruit accent to the flavors and smoke, but not overdone in the least. I would say this is a perfect lightly aromatic smoke that is elegant and satisfying.

Pipe Used: Billard

Age When Smoked: Gifted/Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Similar Blends: Peterson - University Flake.

Telling it how it is. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Telling it how it is. (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is one of the blends where directly after opening i cannot smell anything much. But after it got some air i slowly can make out tobacco, the smell of the yellow Wrigley's gum (i often get that with plum flavour, if it is the same with you we just might have the very same taste in tobaccos) and finally plum.

The flakes are neat and appetizing. Also the tobacco was a bit too moist but nothing that 15 min. of airing out right before a smoke wouldn't solve.

Packing is easy enough no matter what method you may prepare. Lighting however takes a little and it works better with a lighter than with matches. Once lighted it burns flake-typically quiet and smooth, however i had to relight alot of times, way more than with other flakes. I did not like that plus its not a good quality in a flake considering how long you have to smoke on it.

Taste is slightly spicy, slightly sweet and slightly soapy but without any depth or improvement over the course of the bowl. What little plum aroma was added complements the natural tobacco taste. The very end of the bowl has to be scraped because by then the flake does not taste well any longer. Overall i found it rather bland and uninteresting which of course is the death of any flake. Smoking in excess of 2 hours on something that wouldn't catch my attention for not even 45 min. is not the reason for me to buy a flake.

How does it compare to University Flake? I only know Murray's version of it but compared to that it tastes like a washed out version of University Flake that in very rare glimpses actually reminds me of University Flake. Strength also is weaker than the Murray's version but still nice enough to be enjoyed.

Room note is the glorious smell of plain tobacco and virginia at that. Aftertaste is mostly sweetness.

Quality and make of this flake are of excellent quality it's just that the outcome is just plain and does not add anything to the world of flakes which does not already exist in better quality.

So do i recommend this blend? Well, somewhat. Since it really is nothing special at all i only recommend it somewhat. Even tho i really, really wanted to like this offering and it is of good quality i can't make myself give it a 3.

Also i don't know who is actually making this tobacco because K&K do not have the equipment to produce any flakes.

Pipe Used: It went trough rotation.

Similar Blends: Well yes, University Flake..

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (54)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

To be brief, I refer to my reviews of Wallaces brothers, Stirling and Malcolm. There is one important difference. Whereas Stirling and Malcolm are bland, Wallace has a putrid plumage.

This is Eurotobak. It's for, well, wallies.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop.

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop (nice chaps).