Virginia tobaccos, ranging in color from golden to chocolate brown, have been combined with sun-dried Indian leaf and ennobled with a very fine plum aroma. (Flavouring: 3 of 5 dots; strength: 4 of 5 dots; room scent: 3 of 5 dots.)

Notes: After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and just renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label.

For the flakes that would be: - Malcolm Flake being University Flake - Sterling Flake being Irish Flake - Wallace Flake being Erinmore Flake

The tin of Wallace Flake notes:

"We would describe "Wallace Flake" as the Holy Grail among the flakes. Try these extraordinary creation, and you will know why we stick out our nek that far. Virginia tobaccos, whose color ranges from golden to chocolate brown, were combined with sun-dried India and finally refined with a very fine plum aroma."

BrandRattray
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)

Beautiful dark flake mottled with lighter elements.

Tin note: plum, but not overly so. May be a casing. If a topping done very lightly.

A flake more in the English tradition (think Capstan, Four Square, perhaps) than in the Danish.

Flavorful, enjoyable, bordering on the stout, it rubs out well, burns slowly and well, providing a good medium (noticeable) dose of nicotine.

No big surprises in flavor. The plum is attractive, not overwhelming, but present. This is a good combination of burley nuttiness and the complexity offered by a balanced blend of Virginias with qualities including depth, sweetness and a touch of tanginess. It doesn't bite.

While it is a very serviceable smoke and a head above many flakes out there, it will probably remain an occasional smoke for this smoker, a welcome change of pace. Nice to see a new flake of this quality appear!

A solid smoke , refreshing and satisfying, this virginia/burley flake is sure to win a following! It's a fine addition to the flakes currently on the market.

Recommended!

Age When Smoked: two weeks (just on the market)

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Rattray Wallace Flake. These are dark flakes with a lot of small light flecks throughout. I note how a few others point out that their flakes hydration is too much but my flakes are of a superb amount. The smell coming from them has a detectable fruit aroma to it but it isn't a strong 'aromatic' one by any means. When I rub the flakes out I have to use a little extra pressure, they aren't ridiculously hard but the aren't the easiest to prepare. The first good point with the smoking of this is getting it ignited, I often as not use my jet lighter for flake blends but Wallace Flake only needs a touch of my regular lighter. The flavour of Wallace Flake is very similar to Peterson University Flake, the Burley and Virginia both take an equal share of the taste with a very subtle plum addition in the background. The burn is a consistent one that gives off a medium temperature smoke that is of a construction that's not too thick nor thin and gives no bite. The nicotine amount suits me perfectly, I would say it's again the same as University Flake. The room note is quite good in the fact it isn't too much but I can't notice any plum in it really. I was excited when I noticed this one as I adore University Flake and Wallace Flake has definitely met my expectations! To be succinct, if you like University' then you will enjoy this. Four stars.

Pipe Used: Comoys Elegance

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Similar Blends: Peterson University Flake.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (24)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is in fact Peterson's University Flake under a new label. Rattrays produce a lot of Peterson stuff now according to (hopefully) the old recipes. I sincerely hope it's not gonna be "new masters, new rules" like what has happened so many blends in the past.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Curiosity Hut

Similar Blends: Same as University Flake but more expensive..

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (34)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice to find a new-ish flake out there. Tin note is hay like and very minute sweetness. The flakes are dense, moist and very dark. I find that the "plum cake" is very faint. This stuff smokes nice and cool in a small chambered pipe. Ash is pale grey. It is mellow and easily French inhaled and is subtle in its sweetness. A beautiful flake definitely worth a try.

Pipe Used: Peterson et al

Purchased From: Jades Smokers Corner

Grrr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grrr (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a newbie returnee to pipe smoking perhaps precludes me from giving a qualified review of this tobacco, but here's my take.

I was steered towards this when another choice was unavailable. Its my first experience of a flake, but pleasing in the ease with which it rubbed out. I found it stronger than other tobaccos I've been using, but also very dependant on the pipe used. Some suggest filling the pipe by folding the flakes in a "Z" and pushing them down in the bowl - that method gave me the strongest smoke, no doubt the preference of some?

I found the nicotine hit a bit full on with an unfiltered small bowl pipe, but much more to my liking with a 9mm filter in my large bowl Zettervig, which smoothed the (to me) rough edge and, and enabled me to discern a mild though pleasing background note of plum.

I would perhaps revisit it but at present wouldn't hurry back in preference to say a black cavendish. To me this one isn't so much for newbies as seasoned smokers who like a bigger hitting flake. For that reason I won't allow my inexperience to get in the way of giving it a "fair" 3 out of 4.

Pipe Used: Milville mini, MM corn, Zettervig (filtered)

Purchased From: Piperack, Newcastle, Staffs

Telling it how it is. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Telling it how it is. (28)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is one of the blends where directly after opening i cannot smell anything much. But after it got some air i slowly can make out tobacco, the smell of the yellow Wrigley's gum (i often get that with plum flavour, if it is the same with you we just might have the very same taste in tobaccos) and finally plum.

The flakes are neat and appetizing. Also the tobacco was a bit too moist but nothing that 15 min. of airing out right before a smoke wouldn't solve.

Packing is easy enough no matter what method you may prepare. Lighting however takes a little and it works better with a lighter than with matches. Once lighted it burns flake-typically quiet and smooth, however i had to relight alot of times, way more than with other flakes. I did not like that plus its not a good quality in a flake considering how long you have to smoke on it.

Taste is slightly spicy, slightly sweet and slightly soapy but without any depth or improvement over the course of the bowl. What little plum aroma was added complements the natural tobacco taste. The very end of the bowl has to be scraped because by then the flake does not taste well any longer. Overall i found it rather bland and uninteresting which of course is the death of any flake. Smoking in excess of 2 hours on something that wouldn't catch my attention for not even 45 min. is not the reason for me to buy a flake.

How does it compare to University Flake? I only know Murray's version of it but compared to that it tastes like a washed out version of University Flake that in very rare glimpses actually reminds me of University Flake. Strength also is weaker than the Murray's version but still nice enough to be enjoyed.

Room note is the glorious smell of plain tobacco and virginia at that. Aftertaste is mostly sweetness.

Quality and make of this flake are of excellent quality it's just that the outcome is just plain and does not add anything to the world of flakes which does not already exist in better quality.

So do i recommend this blend? Well, somewhat. Since it really is nothing special at all i only recommend it somewhat. Even tho i really, really wanted to like this offering and it is of good quality i can't make myself give it a 3.

Also i don't know who is actually making this tobacco because K&K do not have the equipment to produce any flakes.

Pipe Used: It went trough rotation.

Similar Blends: Well yes, University Flake..