Captain Black Midnight Gold is a smooth, and lightly-sweet blend of superb Burleys, rich, but mellow, black Cavendish, and a bit of bright Virginia. It has a wonderful confectionery aroma, and can be enjoyed all day without worrying about bite.

BrandCaptain Black
Strength
Taste

3.4
gentleanachronism Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gentleanachronism (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first review so please bare with me. The tin note smelled strongly of vannila, with mild caramel, and liquorice. Ships wet, some may wish to dry it out first; I smoked it fresh from the tin with little difficulty. I prefer ribbon cut, but I didn't struggle overmuch to load this one up; it just takes careful attention. The room note is very pleasant, and again the vannila from the tin is the predominant portion. The taste is rather mild, the natural taste of the tobacco manages to peek through from time to time and the vannila isn't as overpowering as I had feared when I opened the tin. Apparently this blend has Latakia in it, but I wouldn't have known it if I hadn't read up on it, so Latakia lovers may wish to hunt for a different tin.

Pipe Used: Nording black-grain freehand

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)

Note: The title in the data base is listed as "Midnight Gold" but the item description is that of "Black Sea" another blend in the same line. My review is for Midnight Gold. I like what they are doing with the new Capt. Black premium line and Midnight Gold is no exception. This blend is one of the better black and golds you can get at the moment in my opinion, lovely rough cut black cavendish and a smattering of broken brights throughout. A tad wet in the tin but it smoked dry and cool, flavour was that of vanilla and toffee but not overdone. Very similar in many respects to CB white (or original) but lacking that Capt. Black fermented tin note and the cut is a bit more uniform. If I had to choose between CB White and a tin of this, I'd opt for the Midnight Gold(and I really like CB White). Smooth, bite free and nice room note. Nothing mind blowing here, but certainly a positive step in the right direction for the Captain Black brand. Any aromatic fan or CB smoker should try this. I only wish they sold this new line in 12oz cans.

Pipe Used: Capri sandblasted billiard

Age When Smoked: current production

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Vanilla is the star flavor, much of it coming from the black cavendish. As well as the vanilla, I get a little caramel, anise, toffee, and a touch of syrup from the topping. I'm fairly sure I detect a little rum, though the alcohol/chemical base is a little detracting. The Virginia is mostly drowned out, but gives a light grassiness. The burley is also sublimated, but I get a minor hint of it here and there. I also get a little honey from either the Virginia or the gold cavendish. It may need a little dry time, but it's fairly smooth, a bit creamy, and doesn't bite, and leaves just a slight dottle if you're not a dry smoker. There's a long lasting after taste that lasts a little too long. Not entirely sure it really deserves three stars, but I think it's a little more than a two star blend. I settled on two stars, though I'd prefer to add half a star.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (20)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

A great new addition to the Capt. Black lineup. Excellent aroma from the tin and it smokes like it smells. Deep flavor from the Cavendish and vanilla. Rich and creamy smoke that has no bite. I have a feeling this will be a constant in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Falcon Genoa

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (36)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is very close to captain black white I love it This is a premium version of the above stated Great taste, vanilla or some say rum great room note also.

Pipe Used: meershaum

Age When Smoked: estate

Purchased From: ebay

Similar Blends: Captain black white.