Black Sea is mild blend of Burleys, Virginias, toasted black Cavendish, and some Latakia with a touch of a special bright flue-cured. There's a mellow sweetness with a bit of smokiness, which makes it a great evening smoke.

BrandCaptain Black
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium
gentleanachronism Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gentleanachronism (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first review so please bare with me. The tin note smelled strongly of vannila, with mild caramel, and liquorice. Ships wet, some may wish to dry it out first; I smoked it fresh from the tin with little difficulty. I prefer ribbon cut, but I didn't struggle overmuch to load this one up; it just takes careful attention. The room note is very pleasant, and again the vannila from the tin is the predominant portion. The taste is rather mild, the natural taste of the tobacco manages to peek through from time to time and the vannila isn't as overpowering as I had feared when I opened the tin. Apparently this blend has Latakia in it, but I wouldn't have known it if I hadn't read up on it, so Latakia lovers may wish to hunt for a different tin.

Pipe Used: Nording black-grain freehand

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)

Note: The title in the data base is listed as "Midnight Gold" but the item description is that of "Black Sea" another blend in the same line. My review is for Midnight Gold. I like what they are doing with the new Capt. Black premium line and Midnight Gold is no exception. This blend is one of the better black and golds you can get at the moment in my opinion, lovely rough cut black cavendish and a smattering of broken brights throughout. A tad wet in the tin but it smoked dry and cool, flavour was that of vanilla and toffee but not overdone. Very similar in many respects to CB white (or original) but lacking that Capt. Black fermented tin note and the cut is a bit more uniform. If I had to choose between CB White and a tin of this, I'd opt for the Midnight Gold(and I really like CB White). Smooth, bite free and nice room note. Nothing mind blowing here, but certainly a positive step in the right direction for the Captain Black brand. Any aromatic fan or CB smoker should try this. I only wish they sold this new line in 12oz cans.

Pipe Used: Capri sandblasted billiard