Black Sea is a distinctive marriage of mellow Burleys, sweet Virginias, softly-sweet toasted black Cavendish, and a judicious amount of Latakia. The result is a mild blend, which is easy on the tongue, has a hint of smokiness that never overwhelms, and a mild undercurrent of sweetness.

BrandCaptain Black
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
ChapperralTobacconist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChapperralTobacconist (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Satisfying mixture of tobacco flavor and aromatic room note. Disagree with the description on the tin label--This is not a Balkan mixture hybrid, because the addition of latakia does not constitute Balkan. Show me the Orientals--then we will talk Balkan! The Dark Kentucky nicotine kick was nice, the mixture eye appeal was nice, the tin note nice. True flavor with aromatic twist. Good stuff.

Pipe Used: New Savinelli Punto Oro Corallo Bulldog

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: Laudisi

Similar Blends: This tobacco mixture has some dark Kentucky Burley, that reminds me it's like Mac Barren Mixture with a touch of latakia, and some black cavendish..

Travelingmanwv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Travelingmanwv (3)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Received as a gift from the owner of http://www.wvsmokeshop.com. He wanted me to try it, so we enjoyed a pipe together. IMO it's a Very mellow blend with a pleasant room note. Aromatic hybrid...must say IMO this tobacco is a joy to smoke. Two non smokers said, "that smells really good." Just after I had lit the pipe. As I continue smoking this mixture it's evident that it's flavorful, and I think the variety of flavors are complex. I typically prefer a Virginia or an English blend, but for a mild all day smoke this blend has the perfect amount of Latakia. Certainly will keep the " a Black Sea" in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Grabow Golden Duke

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: www.wvsmokeshop.com

I was given a couple of ounces of this by a friend. It is a small "fish flake" cut, and can at a pretty good level of hydration for me. I just packed it and did not do anything special to prepare it.

The smoking experience is a little thin, but it is pleasant. It is sweet and has some latakia woodsy flavor and room note. There may be a hint of vanilla here, but it is a mostly a nondescript sweet with latakia in the background. I did not get much tobacco flavor when sipped. Puffed I picked up some Virginia notes.

This is a solid 2.5. I will smoke up what I have and not regret the experience. I am not likely to buy any more.

The latakia is a smoky, slightly woodsy, minor component that mainly acts as a flavor push to the other ingredients, but you will notice it. The black cavendish is sweet with a touch of vanilla, complimenting the sweet, mildly nutty Kentucky burley, the latter being a supporting player. The Virginias are sweet without a hint of grass or earth, leading me to suspect it's subjected to the cavendish process. The very sweet topping sublimates the tobaccos to some extent, and though I'm not sure what it is, it does have a little alcohol base. Burns well with hardly a relight and no bite, and almost no dottle. An all day very sweet smoke. Two and a half stars. One of the better mixtures by this company.