A spice blend known for its nutty, "sweet and sour" characteristics, Turkish/Oriental tobaccos are commonly mixed with Latakia (which helps mask the Oriental's own strong aroma), and are the main component of a traditional English blend. While most Orientals out there are generic admixtures of various regional tobaccos from around the Mediterranean, C&D's is pure Izmir.

Blend TypeOriental
ContentsOriental/Turkish
Strength
Taste
3.7

As a stand alone smoke: Spicy, buttery, more sour than sweet, but both are present. Medium bodied with medium flavors. I really enjoy smoking this by itself. As the bowl progresses it acquires a fair amount of depth and smoothness. First third of the bowl can be a little edgy, not sharp, but close. Calms down nicely after that.

As a blender: I had a couple of mediocre VaPers lying around that I never seemed to reach for. I mixed this with them (2/3 VaPer and 1/3 Izmir) and they really woke up. It added another level of flavor and accentuated those flavors already present. Also added complexity. I was very pleased.

This is an outstanding Oriental and I highly recommend it.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

A C&D-type cut of wide ribbon mixed with long cut and chop cut, yellowish in color and a musty, sweet/sour bag aroma. This one I decided I could smoke straight, as it was very tasty. I found a hint of a buttery taste but mostly this was kind of dry and spicy. Fun to smoke straight. But again, the point was as a blender.

I'm a big fan of C&D's Oriental Silk, but I've had a few people tell me that the perique content of that blend is too high. Smoking a single bowl of this tells me why they feel that way, as this has a kind of perique-y taste, but of the peppery kind rather than the fruity kind. I've always found the perique to be light in OS but the Turkish to be heavy. This must be the Turkish they use, as the flavors are similar (OS switches gears with the addition of VA and perique, of course). Good straight, but as a blender, this one can take over a blend if too much is used. It worked wonders for my oriental blend and also helped spice up straight burley and Virginia. Using a popular "latakia bomb" blend as a base, this helped tone down the latakia but didn't help out the dusty flavor I get with those blends (which is Me, not the blend!). For basic Balkans, I found this to be insufficient, as I suspect more or different strains of Turkish are used in Balkans. But in my preferred Scottish blends, this stuff sung like Harry Lauder (off-key at times, and with a humorously heavy brogue!). It seems to prefer a lighter dose of latakia, but then again, it's probably just me that prefers that. So this one delivered as expected! Really nice tobacco and I'm going to be using it a lot. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (51)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

At the moment this is the best Oriental tobacco I have tried. Very good aroma and taste. The scent of the raw tobacco is scent of tea, pleasant. It is a true natural aromatic. My mark is 7/8.

Purchased From: SYNJECO'S PIPE SMOKER'S HAVEN Brissago, Switzerland