Faintly reminiscent of Lane's 1Q or RLP-6 aromatic offerings, yet in a class all its own. Upon first lighting up Ole Shenandoah, your initial surprise will be the complete lack of tongue bite; this holds true consistently throughout the bowl, as this tobacco has the least tongue bite of any any aromatic going. This blend packs easily, lights readily, and simply refuses to go out. It burns completely to a fine, white ash, leaving minimal dottle to contend with in the bottom of the bowl. How is it for taste? Imagine a blend of warm butter with just a hint of vanilla and honey, then add sweet nutty overtones to round out the flavor. After the bowl is done, expect a pleasant lingering sensation on your palate with no bitterness at all. Mild enough to be an all-day smoke.

BrandOle Shenandoah
3.2
Mark O Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark O (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'm on my second tin of 76 and, thus far, am well satisfied with this blend. It has a pleasant tin aroma which is a combination of raisins and brown sugar. When I read this was a Lane product, I was skeptical that 76 would be a sticky, overly flavored tobacco that left dottle and would not burn or burned too hot....happy to report, I was wrong. 76 has just the right amount of moisture, packs great, lights easily, burns fairly cool and stays lit. It requires little attention and produces a heavy, thick smoke with a sweet room note. This is easily and all day smoke that will leave you hands free to perform other tasks. You can sit your pipe down and come back after a minute and it's still there, ready to go. I would have to say, this is fast becoming my favorite aromatic.....

Pipe Used: Peterson Kilarney

dokuhebi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dokuhebi (4)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

It's been a while since I've put a mild aromatic into my pipe, and I have to admit my palate is a bit out of practice. My first impression is a sweet flavor with hints of cinnamon or nutmeg, as though I caught the gingerbread man and shoved him into my pipe.

I should have read the other reviews before opening the tin, since this is clearly not a summer smoke. While the smoke itself is very mild, every element hints at winter, fireplaces, warm blankets, and carolers. All things inappropriate for 80 degree weather in June. I closed the tin and labeled it, "Do not open until Christmas." When the yuletide comes around, I may be able to give this tobacco the review it deserves.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Hanzy4200 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hanzy4200 (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A great aromatic, all things considered. The first thing that entered my mind after lighting the first bowl, was Boswells Christmas Cookie. I immediately questioned whether this was simply because I smoked a fair bit of CC through this pipe prior to this. I then packed another bowl in a different pipe. Yup, still Christmas Cookie. There is a slight difference, but it is marginal. It honestly seems as if someone attempted to copy J.M. Boswells recipe and got it about 85% correct. I still favor the "original", but for those not local to Boswells this would present a good budget minded substitute. Lot's of sweet notes of vanilla, a bit of chocolate here and there, and a touch of liquor, maybe rum.

Overall, I would consider this likely the best tinned aromatic I've had. At the price I paid for it, about $4.50 a tin, my only regret is not buying 8-10 of them.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Boswells Christmas Cookie.

moonman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moonman (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend was fairly new to me. It had a nice aroma when opening the tin. Very little moisture and was just about right. Easy to pack and stayed lite after the first charring light. I packed a good sized bowl and it burned evenly through the entire bowl with no dottle in the bottom. Produced a nice rich thick smoke. A nice blend of Burley and Cavendish with no bite. Reminds me somewhat of Sutliff Molto Dolce but in a milder form when smoked. Would be a great starter blend for someone new to pipe smoking. Plan to smoke it regularly. Also thought it was reasonably priced.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bent Bob

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Sutliff Molto Dolce.

Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

The black cavendish has a vanilla flavor. The burleys are lightly nutty and toasty, but rather dull. The cocoa and vanilla toppings cover up much of aspects of the tobaccos, but they have a thin taste to them; not unpleasant, but not very compelling either. The brown sugar and nut notes were faint. Has little nicotine. Burns well and cool with no bite, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. An all day smoke.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I purchased a few tins of this because it sounded like it was worth a try and the price was right. Overall it's not bad, has a pretty good choc/vanilla flavor that lasts through to the end. It burns good right out of the tin without drying. Its mild on the nicotine so enjoy a big bowl if you wish. Not really any doddle at the bottom at all, doesn't gunk up your pipe and most importantly no bite! This is a great aro for someone starting out for sure, and an all day smoke for the more experienced.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320 KS

Age When Smoked: new, just opened

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (66)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is nicely done. It is balanced well with and even draw of sweet tones and the subtle hints of chocolate and sugar (but not too forward for me). Vanilla sweetens and evens this out nicely. It was a pleasant smoke from beginning to end and had consistency throughout. Wasn't goopy nor did it burn too hot. A nicely done aromatic with no real downfall. Smoked great in every type of pipe I threw at it. Nice room note. A great evening smoke when hanging out with the family. Wouldn't mind having a tin or two around on reserve. Not a one and done for me. Not too complex, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Pipe Used: bjarne, rossi, la strada, red point

Age When Smoked: 3-6 mos

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (21)

Ole Shenandoah is great for an aromatic. It isn't a wet, hot mess like most are. Smokes cool, leaves only ash and actually holds its flavor throughout. There is something besides vanilla in the taste that I can't quite make out. Ginger? Nutmeg? Whatever it is, it peaks out from behind the vanilla on occasion and gives you another flavor to taste. Very nice.

sjdugi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sjdugi (20)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I was happy to see that the tin scent of Cocoa, Raisins, and Vanilla all carried over in the smoke as well. Reminds me a lot of Christmas Cookie from Boswell, as the combination of all the scents and flavors is absolutely scrumptious. Overall a very pleasant smoke that put up no fuss and burned cool.

PipeGuy82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeGuy82 (12)

I rate this blend 7 out of 10. One thing I have learned from reading reviews on this site is that tobacco tastes are very subjective and just because a lot of other people like a blend does not necessarily mean it will be one that I personally enjoy...so for that reason I encourage you to please take my reviews and ratings with a grain of salt. That being said, Barrel No 76 is definitely worth a try!

It is a mild and pleasant aromatic. I enjoyed the flavor and didn't experience any sort of tongue bite or any of the unpleasant chemical taste (or aftertaste) that I absolutely DETEST in pipe tobaccos. It was a little wet when I first got it but dried a bit and mellowed after sitting in the tin for a few months.

I am not a reviewer with such a sophisticated palate that I can pick out for you all the different nuances and flavors that I got out of this tobacco, I am just an average guy who enjoyed smoking this blend. It's pretty mild (which I like) and does a good job of blending the sweetness of flavor and aroma with the natural flavor of the tobacco. I can attest that there aren't any overpowering flavors or fruit notes or anything like that.

My overall favorite aromatic tobacco right now is Lane BCA which is similar to this blend but, in my opinion, much better. Another one that I favor over Barrel No 76 is Peter Stokkebye Dansk Black which is also an excellent blend and was my previous favorite before I found BCA.

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - BCA, Peter Stokkebye - Dansk Black (No.47).

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (50)

Lit this up for the first time while working in my cold home office on a snowy day. I opened the tin and found a pleasant vanilla scent. It had just enough moisture, not at all wet out goopy. The tobacco burn easily to a nice white ash. Unlike so many other vanilla-based aro's there was no bite at all. Taste was consistant to the end. Overall a very comforting smoke

Pipe Used: peterson standard system

Purchased From: pipes and cigars.com

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)

Not bad! I purchased this on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. A very mild casing gives the tobacco the center stage. Great for the price. I have reordered once and plan to cellar the next tin. I'll update when it has aged. Not going into a regular rotation, but will revisit, often.

Pipe Used: Falcon Genoa