BrandMotzek
CutRope
Strength
Taste

Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is a rope blend that cuts into coins fairly easily, though you should definitely dry it some before smoking because it will smoke wet. I packed the bottom with loose tobacco, stacked the coins, adding a little loose tobacco on top for an easier char lighting. By stacking the coins, you'll get all the flavors in nearly every puff, but if you decide to cube cut first, you'll be in for a variety of flavors in varying degrees per puff. The flavors are bold and forceful. A naturally tasting earthy, very slightly sweet brown Virginia amplified by strong nutty, earthy burleys, and further fueled by a blast of peppery perique. It's a flavor bomb, but not so powerful that it would knock you to your knees. A blend for discriminating smokers best served and sipped in a pipe with a wide bowl to savor the full experience of high quality tobaccos. Expensive and available only from Germany, it's one of the most entrancing blends ever made by anybody.

I consider myself fortunate to have a friend in Germany who sends this to me. It is a fantastic Va/Per/Bur rope. It is unlike anything that I have smoked to date. One may think by the ingredients it would be similar to LBF, DNR or Dav Flake Medallions, but make no mistake this is nothing like those blends.

I think there is more emphasis put on the Cavendish or burley component; whereas, many of the blends like this place more emphasis on the Virginia. It has a sweetness that borders more on the earthy and nutty. I am not sure whether the Cavendish component is topped or not, but believe it to be an unflavored Cavendish. It would not surprise if something has been added though. It smokes great, but prep can be a bit of a bear if you are not good with this type of tobacco. I am not and would rather have it sliced by the experts, but even with the thick coins that I created every smoke was fantastic.

This blend is hard to come by in the states, but I understand you can order it from Motzek if you are fluent in German. If you get a chance to try this blend, by all means do so.

Purchased From: gift from forum friend

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (113)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I have been lucky enough to be gifted some of this after hearing many good things about. Yes, there's a little hype about this stuff and it turns out to be warranted.

As stated before, this is a wet one, but drying is no real issue. Cutting is no real big issue either. My preferred packing method is the one described by Jiminks, it seems to bring out a bit more flavour to me, but other methods will still provide a veritable waft on the palate. The flavour itself is the perfect melange of sweetness, nuts and a little spice that avails itself aplenty on the tongue. The flavour is strong, but in a good way, not overpowering like some others.

This tobacco is nothing short of perfect, the flavour is just delightful, it dries without issue and is easy to cut and pack. Yes, it's a bit tough to get hold of, only hailing from Germany (a land which seems capable of producing only great tobaccos), but I guess that makes it all the more treasured.

Purchased From: Gifted

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was fortunate enough to acquire a 100 g portion of this marvelous stuff in a trade with a fellow PSF member who happens to live in Germany. At the time of our deal, he had placed an order and had to wait for Mr. Motzek to make more of this blend. I was a bit skeptical about all of the hype behind this tobacco. However, upon opening the package, my mind was certainly changed.

It is a thick rope tobacco. My friend vacuum-sealed it, so it was very moist when I received it. The tin note of this tobacco is absolutely amazing! It has a sweet, earthy scent. It was much too moist to smoke fresh from the package, so in desperation I cut a few thin coins and dried them out with a hairdryer for a few minutes. When they reached the proper moisture level, I broke them up and put them in a Peterson 999. I had cut them thin enough to where they packed easily (I use a cigar cutter to cut the coins, but the rope is stout enough to handle a sharp knife blade without making a mess). It only took one charring light before I was off and running. The flavor of this tobacco is complex enough to hold your attention, but it won't leave you trying to think of flavors that may or may not exist. The sweet brown Virginias are delicious, and surpass "honey" sweetness and land somewhere in "brown sugar" or "molasses" territory. It isn't an overpowering sweetness though, and that's the beauty of it. The burleys are nutty, and the Perique adds zest to the mix. It is honestly one of the most well-behaved and well-balanced tobaccos I have ever smoked. The VA's did not bite me at all, but both of the bowls that I have smoked so far have been carefully sipped. I imagine that if one were to smoke this stuff too fast or too wet, it would surely do a number on the tongue. The nicotine hit is definitely there, but it isn't anything that will have you hugging the toilet.

Herbert Motzek is a genius. I found that it was well worth the price that I paid for it, and I can see myself getting more - even with as hard as it is to obtain here in the U.S. It isn't an everyday smoke, but a treat to be savored. If you are lucky enough to have some of this on hand or in pipe, you're lucky enough.

Pipe Used: Peterson 999

Purchased From: Gifted from a friend in Germany

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I ordered my strang ready sliced but it is the same blend as the rope. It looks very much like Mac Baren Stockton, a dark filler with plenty of bird's eyes wrapped in Virginia. The taste is not so far removed from that tobacco either but the one that comes really close is HU tobacco Director's Cut. Thankfully, it is not a nicotine bomb and I believe the Perique is sparingly applied here. I detect (being a Dutchman, we enjoy this..) a faint licqorice flavour and perhaps aniseed here as well. A lovely tobacco that I plan to keep in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Bruyere group 2

Purchased From: Motzek

Similar Blends: Director's Cut, Stockton.