A sumptuous blend of Virginias and Perique, this plug incorporates a generous proportion of St. James Parish, LA perique.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
CutPlug
Packaging250g Box
Strength
Taste

St. James Plug is claimed to be just St James Flake in plug form. Although tobacco blenders can be a little loose with descriptions, I think this is as described. The plug is dense and rich. I use a shape knife to cut off small pieces and smoke it in small chunks. I have also smoked it after grinding it up in a coffee grinder. I prefer the former verses the latter. I would offer a similar review to the one I did for the flake. It’s a little earthy and sweet, and burns coolly. It has just the right amount of Perique (not too light) and I love it! The overall flavor is a little deeper than the flake as one might imagine given that this is a plug. But since the flakes are also pressed and often cut a little thick, I don’t find the difference to be that substantial, but still noticeable. I do believe this to be sweeter as if it were already aged. I don’t find this stronger in nic than the flake either. If you love St. James Flake and don't mind the extra prep time, than you will likely love the plug as well. Personally, I find the plug version to be better. The big question on my mind is, how will the plug age compared to the way the flake ages? I do not believe that this plug is offered anywhere here in the States as of the time of this writing and it is somewhat expensive to buy it overseas and have it shipped. But I have a feeling that most lovers of St James Flake will have no problem overcoming that small challenge. Highly Recommended!