A sumptuous blend of Virginias and Perique, this plug incorporates a generous proportion of St. James Parish, LA perique.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
CutPlug
Packaging250g Box
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

St. James Plug is claimed to be just St James Flake in plug form. Although tobacco blenders can be a little loose with descriptions, I think this is as described. The plug is dense and rich. I use a shape knife to cut off small pieces and smoke it in small chunks. I have also smoked it after grinding it up in a coffee grinder. I prefer the former verses the latter. I would offer a similar review to the one I did for the flake. It’s a little earthy and sweet, and burns coolly. It has just the right amount of Perique (not too light) and I love it! The overall flavor is a little deeper than the flake as one might imagine given that this is a plug. But since the flakes are also pressed and often cut a little thick, I don’t find the difference to be that substantial, but still noticeable. I do believe this to be sweeter as if it were already aged. I don’t find this stronger in nic than the flake either. If you love St. James Flake and don't mind the extra prep time, than you will likely love the plug as well. Personally, I find the plug version to be better. The big question on my mind is, how will the plug age compared to the way the flake ages? I do not believe that this plug is offered anywhere here in the States as of the time of this writing and it is somewhat expensive to buy it overseas and have it shipped. But I have a feeling that most lovers of St James Flake will have no problem overcoming that small challenge. Highly Recommended!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Sam Gawith St James Plug. This is the usual scenario for a Plug Tobacco, a typically dense unlit ordeal! The Plug is mostly Dark Brown in colour with one or two lighter specks in there. I prepare this by slicing the Plug with a sharp Knife and then treating the shavings of Tobacco as I would St James Flake, a thorough rub and I have a good consistency to smoke. As I cut/rub my plug to a fairly fine texture it lights up great and once it's going it gives a good and steady burn. The smoke is of a cool temperature and only bites slightly if really strained, only very lightly not at all hard. The flavour of the smoke is as you would expect from the name, think St James Flake! I find the tobaccos to be excellently balanced, I can taste the Virginia very clearly and also there is a wonderful spiciness from the Perique which stays at the same level for the whole pipe long, a steady and consistent flavour. There is not one underlying flavour, just a very honest and full flavour from the Tobaccos. I think this will be perfect for "N" lovers, it's not too much or too little but the perfect amount to be inhaled. The Room-Note is again the same as St James Flake, a honest Tobacco smell without being heavy on the Nose or creating a Fog like atmosphere in the room. As a rule I normally avoid Plug Tobaccos, I just cant see a the taste validating all the time in prep' but St James Plug is possibly the first one to give credence to all the time spent getting it ready. A very enjoyable smoke and if you have the time to dedicate then I think after one bowl of this you won't look back!

Pipe Used: Peder Jeppesen IDA Cherrywood

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Similar Blends: St James Flake in taste.