Sometimes I find it challenging to hit upon an easy category to put a tobacco into, and every now and then they fall in to multiple groups. Our Sugar and Spice is one of those tobaccos; is it a Lakeland, an Aromatic or even an Oriental blend?

The confusion begins with an Oriental Izmir base; this creamy tobacco is more commonly found in Latakia blends. A generous helping of American Black Cavendish is used to give the tobacco a silky-smooth, aromatic quality. It is polished off with some Gold & Mahogany flue-cured Virginias to add some slight extra nutty and sweet nuances; topped off with cinnamon, nutmeg and delicate rose topping; making this a truly unique tobacco that has made even the most die-hard, anti-aromatic smokers, finish bowl after bowl.

Notes: Best smoked packed tightly and (exceptionally cool and smooth, if) supped slowly.

BrandGQ Tobaccos
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (30)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm smoking this as I type, and jolly nice it is too. I'm not wild about the more strongly-flavoured aromatics, but the flavouring in this is reasonably restrained. Sweetish and spicy - does what it says on the pouch, in other words. The spiciness of the Izmir is noticeable - I've smoked straight Izmir before now, and jolly nice it is too, though it's better reined in a bit in a blend, as here. There is also sometimes a hint of leather. An excellent smoke.

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin Mirage

Purchased From: GQ's website

Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

GQ Tobaccos-Sugar & Spice. The mix includes many sizes of tobacco right from tiny flecks up to some quite long pieces. The smell that's emanating from the blend is incredibly complex. I can pick out a good spiciness but also a type of herb aroma with floral tones. It lights up with ease and gives quite a good smoke. Of all the additives it's the rose flavour that comes through the strongest on my pallet. The others aren't un-noticeable at all but just not quite so imperious. I find the nutmeg comes across quite recognizable in the taste, just slightly more than the cinnamon. Nicotine is a medium amount, I don't think it would cause problems for many people as it would probably suit all different types of smoker. I find the room note a good one, I get a decent spiciness in it. When I took my first few puffs I was slightly unsure of what to make of it but after a few bowls I find it has a certain decadent charm to it that will probably keep luring me back for more! Four stars.

Pipe Used: Pedder Jeppesen