Most English and European Latakia blends are made without using any sweet top dressing or casings, our fellow blenders in America do and the results are stunning. The rich and pungent Latakia works well with most fruity flavours and our Cypriot Sunset is an homage to these modern Latakia blends. Built on a base of ripe, fruit topped red Virigina to give this blend a fruity footing. Sliced black twist, Turkish, dark Virginias and of course Cypriot Latakia is added. The resulting tobacco is sweet to smoke but also savoury thanks to the darker Virginia and Turkish. Think of eating a fruit cake with a peaty whisky. A great desert tobacco and a chance to experience this revolution with Latakia.

BrandGQ Tobaccos
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
Manufactured ByGlynn Quelch
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Full
2.5
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

The red Virginia is richly tangy, earthy fruity sweet. The other Virginias are earthy without a hint of grass or hay, and a mild dry fruit sweetness. The Oriental/Turkish is a woody, moderately tangy spicy ingredient that you’ll notice in every puff which gathers more strength after the half way point. The perique is plum and slightly peppery, and is lightly applied for added complexity. The Cyprian latakia is a team player with sweet, smokey, and woodsy notes. The alcohol topping seems to be whisky, but it’s lightly present and doesn’t detract from the tobaccos.The judicious blending of the various components create a medium to full strength, full in flavor sweet and savory Oriental. It’s a smooth cool burning ribbon cut that’s a little creamy with no dull spots or dottle. It also has a nic-hit that will satisfy the craving without bowling you over.

Medium Mild to Medium Full Strong

Well, I finely found a rare blend that I’m not overjoyed with from outstanding blender Glynn Quelch. First, the positives; in the pouch, Cypriot Sunset smells wonderful! It is smoky, earthy and citrusy. In the pipe, there are times when I can taste moments of excellence when it all comes together with a smoky, earthy, sweet citrus with a bit of pepper flavor. There is ample strength which is also something I appreciate. But the joyous moments unfortunately drift and out lacking consistency. In between there is a flavor of something being burned on the stove. I found myself smoking bowl after bowl over two days searching for those great moments. On its own, I like Sliced Black Twist, but the mélange of flavors just don’t work well together here for me. The juxtaposition of the black twist and the topping just seem to clash. I never care about room note, especially since my wife and I are both pipe smokers, but the room note to this blend is really undesirable. I think that CS is a niche blend that will appeal to some and I can see what the blender is shooting for here, but for me it misses the mark.

ScannerDarkly7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScannerDarkly7 (10)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I could not explain to you what type of blend this is trying to be, but I could certainly tell you everything it's not. A wild and hectic melange of leaf. Not an unpleasant experience, to be fair, but no quality in the smoke or nuances of the tobaccos working in unison.

A nasty sourness from the perique, with very little to mellow it down with. I wish this blender would not insist of such large quantities and abuse of the Louisiana leaf. I get it, you like your tobacco strong, but it has to taste decent as well, y'know? I think this needs to go back to the drawing board or be scrapped altogether. It definitely seems like a cigarette smoker's idea of a pipe tobacco, and falls flat all round. Burn rate is OK. Not recommended.

EDIT: I have noticed this has as slight fruit flavouring. Well, that's certainly lost in the perique and other blending errors, for me. Not detectable.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: Freh

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

GQ Tobaccos-Cypriot Sunset. If it were down to me I'd change the name from Sunset to Sunrise. It tastes far to bright to be reminiscent of a Sunset! The flavour of the smoke is vivacious, there's so much going on! The tobaccos are balanced in a way as to really make this an interesting blend. Of them all I find the Perique slightly heavier. It lends a certain zesty attribute along with a decent N kick. Looking on the GQ website it says the added flavouring is fruit. I can't pinpoint what sort exactly but I would imagine Citrus of some kind is included. I don't get any tongue bite but if I really draw hard on my pipe it develops a sort of acridness so I tend to sip it slower. As I said earlier, it has a decent amount of N. It's not ludicrously strong but still a good blend for N lovers. The room note is quite good. It's not that full and doesn't fill up the room with too much smoke! Cypriot Sunset is a good blend but I can only score three stars due to a few faults. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Devorin Denovic Morta