Most VaPer (Virginia & Perique) tobaccos are made using sweet, grassy (flue cured) Virginia's and sprinkling of Perique. The resulting tobacco has a lovely grassy flavour with a touch of an acidic twang from the Perique. These blends tend to use about 5% of Perique and this is considered the magic amount! For our Askiwth Kake we opted to use a few different Virginia's, Flue Cured and less sweet Steamed Virginia for the base. The use of the steamed Virginia takes some of the heat out of the tobacco and creates a smoother smoking experience.

Then comes the part which Glynn usually goes over the top with, Perique. As we said earlier most use 5%, we however like to push this "Condiment" leaf as far as we can, so 20% can be found in this blend. The use of so much Perique really gives this blend a punchy spicy flavour, which is not a hint as found in other VaPers, rather more a main player in the flavour-scape. With such contrasting variety in the tobaccos, we opted to press this tobacco into a Kake. The 7 days in a cold press, allows the flavours to meld much better than loosely packing into glass jars and balances the smoke out!

Created for Chris Askwith of Askwith Pipes (UK)

BrandGQ Tobaccos
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
Manufactured ByGlynn Quelch
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
Contents Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
3.8
SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A strong (20%) perique mixture, pressed into a cake, which can be easily crumbled in the hand. The large proportion of perique means that it is not a tobacco for wimps, but it isn't as overpowering as you might expect. It has a marked perique tang, but less of the fruitiness also often associated with perique, perhaps because the Virginias used are different from the usual.

Pipe Used: Askwith morta Liverpool

Purchased From: GQ

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (68)

Fragile Krumble Kake. Mine was pretty much a ribbon mixture by the time it had travelled half way around the world to me. Tobacco varies in colour from blonde thru to black.

Lovely pouch aroma. Herbal, floral, honey, spicey.

Takes a light easily and produces huge volumes of creamy peppery smoke. This pepper never lets up. Lovely dry, cool smoke with, to my taste, perfectly balanced acidity.

Great intensity to the finish. Just close your eyes and grunt.

The flue cured Virginias are grassy without being dull as some lesser grades are known to be. They also possess a mild natural sweetness with a few citrus and honey notes. The steamed Virginias are sweet with a light fruitiness. A minor herbal hit shows up here and there. With a 20 percent perique content, one might think it’d knock you off your feet, but that doesn’t happen with this blend, though a small to medium bowl is recommended. The perique is plumy, raisiny, spicy and smooth with a nice nic-hit. Many blends with this much perique would have a little harshness, but not this one. In fact, I found this kake to have a little creaminess. It’s easy to break apart and load, and burns well with a consistent flavor, no dottle, and a pleasant after taste.

Harry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harry (13)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Askwith Kake is a great tobacco. Hay-like in appearance, light, golden-brown with darker/lighter flecks throughout. Wonderful, grassy aroma, very fresh Virginia smell. It crumbles and fills the bowl easily. Pleasant feel and perfect moisture balance. First light and the taste hits in with both that Virginia grassiness and then the spiciness of the Perique. Quite powerful, piquant, some pepperiness there too. The fresh tastes that hit the tongue are quite unique and there is a lingering sensation of that peppery tingling, with a sweetness from the Virginias that complements the spicy richness. The smoke is creamy, rich, clean. After the charring light, very few other lights are required provided you sip this tobacco rhythmically and carefully. The room note is clean, hay-like and aromatic. As the smoking continues, these flavours meld together gradually to combine into a mellow, roundedness. All the above flavours are still present, but more mature and, if anything, gentler and calmer, more solid.The adolescent smack of taste develops into an adult and you are left with a soothing, very pleasant latter smoke which is satisfying and extremely comfortable. There is a nicotine kick here but not heavy or hard-hitting. I love this tobacco and have just ordered (and received) a larger amount for cellaring. More will be added soon. I can very firmly and confidently recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: Falcon, bent, Algiers' bowl

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Similar Blends: GQ Nottingham Rouge with its similar Perique content..

GQ Tobaccos Askwith Kake . I have been really looking forward to this as I am yet to try a Kake (until now !) and I understand that Glynn Quelch is a really eminent blender ! Firstly , for anyone who is not familiar with the Kake cut allow me to describe it ! It is sort of in between Plug and Flake , a Plug in thickness which also holds the same preparation quality and ease of Flake blends , just lightly snap a piece off the block then rub it with great ease to as finer constancy as you desire . Once rubbed out it again (like the pouch note) exudes a lovely Va-Per note and it has in the background a really slight Floral touch , its fair to say that I am really eager by now ! I rub my Kake to a medium consistency , generously fill my Pipe and it's time to begin ! I am impressed right from the first touch of the Flame ! To get this lit is easier than a flake , partly to do with the superior moisture content and partly as it has allowed me to gain a good amount of rubbed Tobacco where there are no larger clumps . The flavour from Askwith is a beautiful one , I get a fair taste of both Virginia and Perique without either being over dominant whilst all the way down the Pipe there is a resplendent spiciness of a superb weight . I don't get Tongue-Bite from Askwith Kake , not even if I draw my Pipe with prodigious vigor ! The burn from Askwith Kake is excellently even and steady , making my lighter seem superfluous ! To give a good example of this quality I wish for it to be known that I have smoked a bowl whilst writing this review and not once have I had to re-light my Pipe ! The Room-Note from this is nothing to shout home about , it's by no means a malodorous note , just a very basic Va-Per note , one that scores highly due to the fact it isn't at all heavy , overpowering or thick . I wrote at the beginning of this review of "understanding Glynn Quelch is a really eminent blender" and smoking this has really confirmed that ! Superb !

Pipe Used: Peterson Sandblast Sherlock Homes Baskerville

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

ThePipeMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePipeMonk (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: Subtle grassy knoll with tangy perique goodness, sour notes with nice sweet grass almost sugarcane husk notes. This one fools you in thinking that its a mild blend and the perique hides well as a plummy scent until you light your pipe and go WOW this is insanely awesome.!!

Charlight: After rubbing and airing the tobacco for 15 minutes, the initial light lights up the blend like a charm, if you are in a humid environment you might have to do a quick relight and a tamp.

The First Layer: Subtle play of grassy sweet VA along with the spicy perique, the sweet and spicy taste caress your palate and nose, one word of caution, dont sip fast or you might end up with a scratched throat or nose, the blend really has some muscles thanks to perique. The after taste is quite good, reminding me of sugarcane and hay. Oh my I love the farm life, the hints of plum in the smoke is just so delicious. I'll be bordering on adultery if I keep enjoying the baccy till the end.

Mid Bowl: The smokiness changes from subtle to a little more prominent, giving the tobacco a little more strength, the VA now completely married with the Lord P resulting in a more prominent room note, flavor and strength. The hay flavor is still prominent along with the major periqueness, the spicy straw. I do advice you to keep some sweet ice tea or water handy to refresh your throat as perique will slowly make you thirsty and it helps clean up the tongue for a more flavorful taste.

I clenched my Rick Black freehand sitter and sipped on it in-sync with my breathing cycle, perfection !! the perique tingles the tongue like a sensual mistress, edging you on for more. I must note that by this time your nicotine urges are quite satisfied. Being an ex-cigarette smoker the Kake helps me get my daily dose of nicotine in a slow progressive manner.

If you are using a big bowled pipe like me I would advise you to keep tamping the ash a little instead of dumping the ash, this is a high quality blend which burns gracefully into a pinch of white ash.

Climax: By the time you reach the end of your smoke, you will be in awe of this amazingly creamy, smooth, stout, lightly sweet and spicy blend. The flavors after maturing just a little bit after reaching the mid bowl are now at their full strength. The classy seductive dance of the Virginia and Perique will take over all your senses and in the end after you're smoked your pipe you will be craving for more. A very satisfying smoke. I will give it 3.8 stars out of 4.

The Nitty Gritty

Pipe used: Rick Black Freehand Sitter Poker, Relights: 2, Lighter used: No Matches: Yes, Tamper: Steel Metal Pipe, Companions: Cold water for first and mid bowl stage. Sweet black tea with half a lemon squeezed for the last portion of the bowl to help soothe the plummy spiciness.

Tobacco Components: Steamed Virginia (flue cured) and Perique Age: Fresh Cut: Crumble Cake Moisture Content: Balanced, does not require airing for more than 5-10 minutes depending on the humidity of the environment you are in. Taste: Full Strength: Medium Room Note: Tolerable

Will buy again? Hell yes!

Pipe Used: Rick Black Freehand Poker