Our first “(Krumble) Kake” tobacco, made using some of the strongest pipe tobaccos we can find. The choice leaves are moistened using distilled water and cold pressed for over 10 days, to create a form of plug. Due to the crazy taxation and restrictions on tobaccos, we can only obtain pre-cut leaf. So all of our Kakes are made using course cut tobaccos, the beauty is in a plug that needs no cutting, just a light rub before use. Our BurPer (Burley & Perique) Kake is made from a heavy base of strong savoury new world Burley. A touch of gold and mahogany Virginia's to add a little nutty and sweet tinge. Then comes the Perique and in GQ Blends Traditions, over 25% is made use of. The resulting tobacco is very strong and spicy, with underlying vinegar-like flavour. As the blends stands it’s a little too dry and spicy so a maple topping is added to some of the gold leaf Virginias.

The resulting tobacco is a tale of two halves; at the start it’s spicy and sweet; but once the smoker is half way through the bowl the sweetness fades and the full power of the Burley and Perique really come through. Not a blend, we suggest, to anyone who enjoys mild/medium sweet blends; think of a dry sherry mixed with cask strength whisky. A “Perique Powerhouse”, forget VaPer (Virginia & Perique) and welcome the complex flavours of our first BurPer blend.

BrandGQ Tobaccos
CutKrumble Kake
Strength
Taste
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

GQ Tobaccos BurPer Kake. What a pleasure to prepare, the Kake rubs to a great consistency with minimum effort. The note from the packet is sweet, it resembles honey slightly. Getting BurPer Kake lit is, just like the prep', a real easy task, a short go with the flame is plenty to initiate a good burn which is steady throughout the whole pipe. The taste is superb! It gives a great spiciness from the Perique with an equally weighted buttery flavour from the Burley. As it burns down the spicy note seems to dissipate slightly allowing the buttery taste from the Burley to have more time in the spotlight. The temperature is great, a cool to medium one that is complimented by zero tongue bite. On to nicotine now, a medium to strong amount so it would suit those who smoke for N, may be a little too much for some though. I find the Maple topping to be extremely light, if I didn't know it was in there I possibly wouldn't identify it due to the dominant flavours from the tobaccos. As I sit smoking BurPer Kake no matter how hard I try it's impossible to find a negative point, a superb taste with a good nicotine amount that would make an excellent 'all day smoke'!

Pipe Used: Devorin Denovic Morta

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

One of the easiest Kakes to break apart on the market, which seems to be a trait of GQ kakes. It was almost like tearing off small pieces of bread. The perique is over twenty-five percent of the Kake, and is almost as plumy and raisiny as it is spicy. The burley is fairly bold and nutty with natural sweetness. The gold and mahogany Virginias are bready, lightly grassy and earthy sweet with a touch of tangy citrus and vinegar. The maple topping is light applied, does not interfere with the inherent properties of the tobaccos, and doesn’t give a pancake taste either. Not sure what causes the woody notes, but they are there. This has a strong nic-hit along with a full burst of flavor, burns cool, dry with no dottle, and no tobacco left to burn. It has a near perfect burn rate and provides a lot of smoke, with virtually every flavor note in every puff present. Not for the unexperienced smoker, and I recommend a small to medium size bowl to smoke it in.

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (32)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Mid-brown in colour. Slight leather smell. Medium strength, smooth. The perique is evident in a distinct fruitiness. Sometimes tastes a bit cigar-like. They pinched the name "Burper" from me - on a pipe forum, I jokingly suggested it as a name for a Burley/Perique mix. (I'm sure they came up with the name independently really!)

Purchased From: GQ's website

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My chunk of Burper Kake was very loose to the touch, with parts coming apart on its own in the pouch. Visually, it’s easy to see that there is quite a bit of Perique in this blend and in the pipe that is the case. I am only a moderate lover of Perique and GQ offers up a lot of Perique in a number of their blends but they always seem well blended that they work for me. The Burley is more “woody” than nutty with a little bit of earth. There is a touch of smokiness to it as well. The Perique offers up some pepper and some fruit, and is always present. While there is some spice, I didn’t get the amount of spice that others have mentioned. The Virginia’s don’t offer up very much sweetness and would have preferred the addition of a little bit more sugary Virginia's. The manually added slight sweetness to the blend I would not have guessed to be maple. I think that a from a nic standpoint it is on the medium to strong side and it burns dry without many relights. I rather enjoyed this well-made blend and could see it as a change of pace offering for me rather than an everyday blend. For Burley lovers that enjoy Perique, BurPer will likely ring the bell.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (151)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A mix of light and dark brown tobaccos. Falls apart readily into short ribbon cut.

Pouch note is maple, as per product description, added to which is a caramel/malty sweetness from the tobaccos. Perique spiciness in the background.

Takes a light well and burns cool without further attention. Produces more moisture than the Askwith Kake.

This tobacco is surprisingly, to me, gentle. Full flavoured without being a hammer, the various tobaccos, and there seems to be a lot of them, weave in and out over the progress of the smoke. At times fruity and acetic from the perique, then bread-like from the burley and then sweet from the virginias. A very interesting smoke. Would make a good all day smoke I think, altho it probably packs a hefty nicotine hit.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Acquired in trade from StevieB. Holy crap, bro! Thanks for this one.

This is a superb smoke in both briar and cob. The Perique is about equally plummy/figgy and spicy. The Burley about equally nutty and earthy. The Virginias with the maple topping combine to provide a mildly sweet, butternut kinda flavor that really makes this blend sing for me. It's incredibly delicious.

If you want the Perique to lead (by a small margin) smoke this in a briar. If you want the Burley to lead (once again, by a small margin) smoke this in a cob. The cob also brings out the Virginias a little better. I love smoking this in both.

This has some strength to it. Medium to strong in body. Enough nic for anyone, no matter who you are. Taste is medium to full. Crumble and dry for a short spell and you've got a near perfect burn. Lovely, lovely stuff.

Pipe Used: Moonshine Deviled Egg, MM Marcus

Purchased From: acquired in trade (Thanks Steve)

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mottled bricks that are ridiculously easy to break apart, my 25 gram bag had an earthy aroma with strong hints of grandma's spice rack. I read maple flavoring and I suppose I picked that up but if I hadn't known, I wouldn't have guessed it. Easy to rub out the kake and load.

BurPer Kake... burley and perique... yep, yep! Plenty of both. The burley was far from nutty and sweet, however. In fact, it tasted decidedly un-burley-ish for the most part. It was more of the oaken flavor of certain wines, like the tobacco was stored in barrels and heated to take on the oak essence. The perique was fairly spicy but not heavily so. I got just a hair of fruitiness from it. The Virginia didn't provide much sweetness - in fact, this is far from a sweet blend. It seemed to me that the very light casing provided all the sweetness, and not much from that either. But I wouldn't have guessed maple. In fact, it seemed slightly floral to me, almost like it rubbed elbows with a G&H blend for about five minutes. Nicotine was on the plus side but not overblown. During my 25 grams I alternated between really enjoying this one and being kind of bored, and I suppose it's more of a "certain time of day" smoke. It was better after a meal. If you're a burley smoker and want a bit of extra spice in your blend, this will give you a good introduction to what perique brings to the table. Not really my thing but I'm happy to have tried it.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (48)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

The pouch note is wonderful. I found the smoke a bit too harsh and dry-tasting for me, but those who like the Cornell and Diehl burley-perique blends will probably enjoy this as well. I've come to realise that, for me to enjoy burley, it either has to be used sparingly or processed in the manner of the Solani and Wessex burley flakes.

Nicotine-wise it's not as strong as you might expect; if you're used to strong tobacco (Irish Flake etc), you'll be fine with this.