Traditional, smoky and very English. Syrian Latakia rounded off with various Virginia leafs and a touch of full bodied java tobaccos. Blended by hand.

BrandPlanta
Blended ByHand
Manufactured ByPlanta
ContentsJava Leaf, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

3.6

The Java cigar leaf really makes this blend. It has a nice sweetness and a Perique-like spiciness to it. It also adds a great deal of body to the blend. You can taste cigar like notes on occasion. The Virginias add their own sweetness, but not much flavor. The Syrian Latakia seems to have been only lightly smoked allowing some of the character of the Oriental leaf to come through. It gives a mild smokiness and sometimes you can taste the sour, buttery notes of the leaf. This is an outstanding smoke. Medium to full in body and flavor. Very highly recommended.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (47)

Planta - Full English

This is a superb blend that I like a lot because it's just sweet enough but not too sweet, and unlike some other englishes I've experienced the latakia component doesn't knock me over.  Sure the latakia is there but as Mr. Gentleman Zombie commented something to the effect of, it wasn't heavily smoked such that the basic oriental nature of the leaf comes through also. Pretty clever.

Another benefit of this is that the latakia doesn't knock over the cigar leaf either.  In some cigar leaf blends I've tried the cigar leaf gets lost behind the latakia, while others I've tried that do not have latakia felt, ah...empty you know?  This one gets it right.

So I'm sitting here right now on my front porch with a light rain falling, smoking a bowl of this blend over a glass of pinot grigio and I'm thinking it's all quite nice.  This has recently become not only my favorite english blend but also my favorite cigar leaf blend as well.

Marios Georgiou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marios Georgiou (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Excellent tobacco, very spicy, satisfactory with pure tobacco taste tha reminds you a good cigar. The latakia is not dominant, only gives to the blend and extra push...recommended for experienced pipe smokers and smoked in a small bawl preferably.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerchaum

Purchased From: Katsafados limassol

SCPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SCPipe (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Delicious blend with wonderful latakia flavor. Long lasting finish - I smoked a bowl last night before dinner and could still taste it after dinner and a glass of wine! My only dislike is that it is fairly dry out of the pouch and even filling a little tighter, it does seem to have some burn issues but it does smoke cool, which is nice.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Planta - Full English.

It's a coarse ribbon, a mixture of browns (some medium, some dark), and mine was too dry. However, that's entirely my fault as this is one of the few blends I cellared without checking the seal first!

So, it's quite a tasty blend. I find it slightly milder tasting with Latakia than is often the case with an English. The Latakia adds rich flavour, albeit not a strong smoky quality. The Virginias do nothing spectacular, but sweeten the smoke slightly. At first the Java acts as more of a topping, rather than a structural leaf; a cigar 'twang', but not any bitterness from it. After halfway the Java develops more strength of flavour, becoming more certain a taste. I can't pass comment on the standard of burn as I allowed it to become dry!

The room-note isn't my thing, and it has a healthy amount of nicotine.

I'll rate this as if I hadn't let it become bone dry: recommended.

Three stars.