Red Virginias and perique, pressed into a cake with a pinch of dark-fired Kentucky for an extra bit of depth, C&D's "Five O'Clock Shadow" is blended to provide that simple sort of treat we could all use when the workday is, finally, over.

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
Taste

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This working man series is just messing up my routine and Five O'clock Shadow is no exception. This is really a pleasant smoke. The krumble kake is really easy to break down to pipe size. It crumbles easily and packs nicely. It does have a little more oomph than the others in the series. I enjoy it at five or later in the evening. You get a lot of creamy smoke and it is easy to get too eager so go gently. The complexity of it is kind of lost once you get going, but relights show there is a lot going on in the bowl. I recommend it. Oh and don't fill a large pipe this tobacco burns a long time. I small bowl it most of the time. A large bowl will take forever.

Pipe Used: BBB small yacht, Ashton Dublin

Age When Smoked: less than a year

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.com

Similar Blends: Reminds me somewhat of G.L Pease Jack Knife Plug but the burley presence makes it even better.

The red Virginia is very mildly tangy dark fruit sweet, acting as a base for the other components, which drown out some of the red. The other Virginia is grassy, very lightly citrusy, and not very noticeable otherwise. The perique is very spicy, raisiny, and slightly figgy, and adds a big kick to the experience. The dark fired Kentucky is spicy, earthy, with a touch of wood and smokiness, and is more obvious than the description allows as it has a important say in the flavor. The nic-hit is potent. An easy to break apart Krumble Kake that burns slowly with very little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. There's a mild creaminess present that rounds out the flavors, though it can get a touch harsh near the finish if you puff fast. No dull spots. If you like a bit of spice, you'll enjoy the after taste. Not an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I love this blend! It's rich earthy and easy to smoke. It comes as a crumble cake that is really easy to deal with. Some drying time would be reccomended. It's got a little punch to it but to me that just makes it that much better.

It's called five o'clock shadow but to me it's better at five in the morning. I really enjoy this with my morning coffee. It might not be the most complex smoke but that's fine. Sometimes you want something that's easy to smoke,tastes great and has the perfect amount of nicotine.

The taste I get is mostly hay or sweet hay from the Virginias. The perique has a nice spicy note sometimes swaying over to the raisin flavor. The Kentucky ads just enough earthy note and some nicotine. Overall this is a great all day smoke. I will be ordering more. Would like to see what some age does to it.

The only problem I had was you can rub it out too much and have some really small pieces that can go through your pipe.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

nikonNUT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikonNUT (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Had my first go with Five O'clock Shadow this evening. The first thing that caught my attention was that the tin was bulging like a swollen tick! Pulling the tab resulted in a whoosh! that spooked the cats that were milling around my feet in hopes I was opening canned cat food followed by a raisin-y, tart, funky aroma coming from the tin. I cut and rubbed out about a half a bowls worth (a good thing as this blend burns S--L--O--W ) and retired to my smoking chair. For a strait from the tin baccy it took light easily and mostly stayed lit. The initial puff blasted me with a spiciness had me thinking "OK, this is a lot like Three Friars" which is fine but why add another blend to the cellar? But as I smoked something happened... A caramel like note started developing so that as I sipped on this blend I would get the tangy, spicy hit of the perique on the retrohale and then the Virginia and burley would chime in on the finish with the sweet caramel. I found it very unique and VERY enjoyable! This one is going in my cellar!

Pipe Used: Radice Hawkbill

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)

Straight pepper hits first, with an earthy leather following. It transitions in to a sweet caramel later on, that pairs well with the other flavours. Full bodied and very enjoyable, kind of like a nicaraguan cigar. I'm buying more.

Pipe Used: Ratos Big city 262

Purchased From: Mellgrens.se

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I think I recall when this blend was released that it simply Kicking Chicken by another name. Whether that was accurate or not, I couldn't really say nor does it matter as Kicking Chicken is no longer available, but I can see why someone would think it was as I, myself, find this blend virtually identical.

I bought a few tins of this a while back, but hadn't got around to trying them. When a forum friend decided he wanted to repay my kindness and said he had some of this open, I jumped on the opportunity to try some.

As I stated I found this blend about identical to kicking chicken and I really liked that blend a lot. Which is also to say, if you do not like perique that much, then you will not like this blend. It is a strong blend with perique and Dark Fired Kentucky taking the lead in many cases. Sure, there is Virginia which offers subtle sweetness. I am sure this blend would be overwhelming without it. But it is spicy and some may say, a pepper pot.

I still have a tin of Kicking chicken from 2012 which I may have to compare the two more closely when I get around to cracking the tins. Until then, I am happy to know that C & D has made a worthy replacement for that blend.

I am only going with three stars on this one for now as my sample only probably netted me about 5 bowls. But I expect this one to get a fourth star when I later revisit the blend.

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (61)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Presents as a nice firm cube, crumble cake, easy to break apart and prep. Moisture level is fine right out of the tin.

I get a big deep earthiness right out of the gate...I assume from the dark fired kentucky. I'd say there's more than a pinch of DFK, but definitely less than DFK forward blends like ODF or IF. The characteristic leathery/barbecuey/spicy DFK taste is there, but definitely in the background. Quite a bit of fruity red virginia sweetness and a bit of perique pepper.

All in all, a well executed blend, but not a new fav for me.

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Moisture: a little bit wet, so it needs some dry time.

Cut: easily broken crumble cake and easily packed.

Burning: not bad, not very hard to light.

Tin note: Virginia is on its dark side rather than tangy sides like Mcclelland or fresh green tea smell like Dunhill Light Flake. Fruity and raisiny note from Perique is straightforward and a little bit earthy and woody from dark Kentucky.

When smoking: the first half bowl is kicky, raisiny and very spicy Perique based on dark smell Virginia, even though dark-fired Kentucky shines sometimes; the star of the second half bowl is woody, very earthy and robust dark-fired Kentucky with some rough edge. As "Gentleman Zombie " said: this is a very interesting evolution. Overall Five O'Clock Shadow is dark fruity, raisiny, very spicy, a little earthy crumble cake.

Strength: a step over medium.

Room note: very strong and very bad like the cheap cigarette.

My rating: Enjoy + Buy it on sales → Three Stars Rating. I think the dry time and Delayed Gratification Technique will help smooth round the touch of harsh rather than cellaring time. If considering the Delayed Gratification Technique, that will be a four-star rating blend.

Age When Smoked: six monthes

Purchased From: 2 oz tins from pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Sixpence (Old London Series).

This is a very good smoke with an interesting evolution. The earthy, nutty, very mildly smoky Kentucky is the one consistent component throughout the bowl. The Perique starts out leading the Virginias then at the halfway point they swap places and the Virginias take the lead. It's very spicy in the first half and somewhat sweet in the second. This is a 3.5 smoke for me, but I'm going to round up to 4 due to the unique evolution. This is good stuff.

Body and Nic are medium to strong. No added flavors detected. Taste is medium to full. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn

PuffPuffKeep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffKeep (8)

A crumble cake plug with a sour and tangy aroma. Smoke unleashes a mildly sweet grass and hay with a slight citrus tang and a white pepper spice on the light. Starts out medium in strength. There's wood devolping behind the grass and hay. The white pepper holds but it's smooth. A nuttiness and a mildly sweet bread develop. A slow burning tobacco. The white pepper has mellowed while the grass, hay and wood play well with the nuts and bread. All lending to the sweet characteristics of the tobacco. The blend is complex with it's strength passing medium and into the half way to strong zone. The perique and dark fired kentucky are fantastic. A 3.7 for Five O'Clock Shadow.

The tobacco comes a a pressed brick about the size of a brownie. Mine was pressed a little too firmly to crumble, so I sliced it and rubbed it out. The result was short chopped flake and fish food. I smoked it as delivered and did not dry it.

The smoke initially is sweet, earthy and spicy. It is a tasty smoke and delivers on the flavor. It seemed to pick up a little strength as the bowl progressed and there was more of the earthy fullness and less of the spice. Depending on your palate, this earthy fullness might present as having a harsh edge at the end.

This was a very slow burning blend in the various pots I used to smoke it. It was easy to sip and keep lit and did not require a lot of relights.

The tin price point for this is a little high for me to make it a regular smoke. If I were on a desert island with this as the tobacco that washed ashore, I would smoke a lot of it and be grateful. It is a solid 3 in the recommendations.

One warning is that this is probably not a good blend for you if you have a nicotine sensitivity.

Age When Smoked: tin was from 2014

Purchased From: gift

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)

Pretty flat delivery and dark flavors here. I get mostly ash and sour notes, whereas the Perique and Va should be delivering some high and fruit notes that seem absent in this blend. I even tried adding some golden Va to this, and it didn't really lift it either.

Jackknife Plug does more with less, and if you want a more interesting smoke that succeeds with the same ingredients, give Watch City Flake #558 a try. That one is a very entertaining smoke indeed. This one from C&D is not bad, but with these ingredients they should have made something cellar worthy, and I don't feel this one is.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful blend in the Krumble Kake form that I really like. Sweet Virginia combined with the smoke like presence of stout dark fired Kentucky made for a dandy smoke with strength and depth. The Virginia is at the forefront and keeps the overall presentation from running away with one's palate.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (95)

This is one spicy S.O.B! Black pepper, red pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg. The Red Virginia is spicy, earthy, and subtly sweet. The Perique is spicy with some fig. And the Kentucky is spicy, with some earthyness. Tickles the tongue without biting. This is great fresh but should age phenomenally.

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Kajun Kake but less earthy and more spicy.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (125)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: a gentle topping brings out the interaction between spicy Perique and nutty Burley, sweetened by Virginias.

C&D has been leading the pack with toppings that emphasize more natural flavors that gently complement the tobacco, and this tastes like a combination between liquor, wine and citrus or something like the above. It is not intrusive and takes a background note that harmonizes with the Dark Fired Kentucky (Burley) and Perique which are the centerpiece of this blend. Like the blending Dark Fired Kentucky Burley, this leaf has been smoked less so has more of a nutty Burley flavor with barbecue undertones than the solid, Latakia-level smokiness of the usual dark fired blend. The Virginias soar in like violins behind a strong brass chorus, sweetening the mix and giving it a bit more space between these dueling flavors. With a moderate dose of Nicotine, this is a good smoke (ironically) for getting work done, and the convenient crumble cake is easy to transport and work with.

Thanks to Pipes Magazine founder Kevin Godbee and Smoking Pipes for this sample, which was gifted to me as a prize in the monthly caption contest.

Mr.Woods Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Woods (10)

I was looking forward to try this one but it wasn't for me. Then again, the sample I got was very dry, so that might have contributed to my disliking...

To me this blend tasted quite bitter, of course I could sense some Virginia sweetness, but it still tasted mostly like Burley (wich can be a bit tricky for me to enjoy). Not a bad tobacco, just not for me.

Pipe Used: Stanwell churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Mellgrens Fine Tobacco

bobbysmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobbysmokes (15)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I got this tobacco as a sample at the Chicago Pipe Show. A C&D Rep asked me what I liked to smoke and he recommended this when I told him I liked the Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky blend. From the first light, I knew I would love this blend. The richness of the dark burley came out immediately and the Perique added just enough spice to round out the smoke. I was reminded of Chicory coffee while smoking this blend and would like to one day pair the two. I agree with other reviews that this blend smokes slowly and cool. Great blend!

Pipe Used: Dagner Devil Anse

Age When Smoked: unkwown

Purchased From: Chicago Pipe Show Sample

Similar Blends: Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.

grimstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimstuff (14)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

One of the closest things yet to one of my favorites: GL Pease's Quiet Nights. It has that dusty, burnished wood sort of pungency, the smell of spilled scotch on a tweed jacket lapel. Stuff is strong, stronger than Quiet Nights - better have a meal and be sitting down. Not quite as even of a temperament as QN. Crumble is a bit too crumbly, almost powdery. Burns slow for a blissful evening sunk into your easy chair, as you watch the stratum of smoke fill to the edges of the room.

Badmedicine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badmedicine (6)

The short story: Va/Per After Dark. Tin note is a siren's song for a Perique lover; figs, dates, yeasty bread, and a notable impression of dark chocolate. There is noticeable Virginia sweetness to the smoke, as well as stewed fruit and pepper from the perique. I get very little KFC smoke or nuttiness, and if it lends any pepper it drowns in the Perique tide. Not a bad thing, mind you; I love C&D, but it's nice to find a blend that isn't burley-centric. The Virginias are of a very heavy character- bready, earthy, darkly fruity and reservedly sweet. It harmonizes well with the considerable percentage of Perique; not a full blow-out like Chenet's Cake, but still outside of normal tolerances. I ordered an eight-ounce tin, which came as four individually packaged cakes and a few odd slices. Mine was marked 11/17, and at 6+ months of age the moisture content is perfect for smoking right off the block. The nic-hit is notable, and can get overwhelming in too large a bowl (2.5 inch depth, 1 inch bore was a bit too much for even my saturated neurons). Smokes cool and dry in any quantity, and refuses to bite. Room note was Va/Per-ish; heavier, more Maduro cigar than cigarette. Repeatable, possible all-day smoke for grizzled nico-fiends, and a must for any lover of Perique.

Pipe Used: Magnum Poker, Icarus stubby apple

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: Chenet's Cake ( though just restrained enough).

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The portion of the brick, given to me by a friend, was very dark in nature. The crumble cake brick looks mostly black with bits of dark brown flecks. It smells like fermented fruit with hints of raisins, plum, and just a bit of spice.

Easy to crumble out and load. Lights easily and remains so with light tamping.

The smoke is very much dominated by the perique. It tastes of dark fruit, raisins, and plum, mixed with spice. I detected very little red va, however, this did come out more about halfway down the bowl, at which point the bready and slightly tangy flavors mixed well with the dark fruit and spice. The dfk would make an appearance here and there by giving more spice and adding some earthy tones. Overall a good smoke. I'm glad I tried it but not sure it's one I'll add to my rotation.

Pipe Used: Neerup Tomato

Age When Smoked: Gifted/Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

For me, the Red Virginia was the main player, with support from the Perique and hints from the Kentucky. Despite that, this was very moderate in terms of taste, even on the light side at times. Fully rubbed out, this burned a tad on the fast side but not too hot. And the same time, it left a moderate cigarette-like aftertaste. Not quite fully rubbed out, the aftertaste was missing, it smoked slower, but needed the odd relight. So, looking for a light/moderate tasting straight forward tobacco, with little to no extra casing? This might suit you.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes