Red Virginias and perique, pressed into a cake with a pinch of dark-fired Kentucky for an extra bit of depth, C&D's "Five O'Clock Shadow" is blended to provide that simple sort of treat we could all use when the workday is, finally, over.

Blend TypeVirginia Based

3.4
butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (42)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This working man series is just messing up my routine and Five O'clock Shadow is no exception. This is really a pleasant smoke. The krumble kake is really easy to break down to pipe size. It crumbles easily and packs nicely. It does have a little more oomph than the others in the series. I enjoy it at five or later in the evening. You get a lot of creamy smoke and it is easy to get too eager so go gently. The complexity of it is kind of lost once you get going, but relights show there is a lot going on in the bowl. I recommend it. Oh and don't fill a large pipe this tobacco burns a long time. I small bowl it most of the time. A large bowl will take forever.

Pipe Used: BBB small yacht, Ashton Dublin

Age When Smoked: less than a year

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.com

Similar Blends: Reminds me somewhat of G.L Pease Jack Knife Plug but the burley presence makes it even better.

The red Virginia is very mildly tangy sweet, acting as a base for the other components, which drown out some of the red. The other Virginia is grassy and not very noticeable otherwise. The perique is very spicy, raisiny, and slightly figgy. The dark fired Kentucky is spicy, earthy, with a touch of wood and smokiness. The nic-hit is potent. An easy to break apart Krumble Kake that burns slowly with very little moisture in the bowl, and just a few relights. There's a mild creaminess present that rounds out the flavors, though it can get a touch harsh near the finish if yo puff fast. No dull spots. If you like a bit of spice, you'll enjoy the after taste. Not an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I love this blend! It's rich earthy and easy to smoke. It comes as a crumble cake that is really easy to deal with. Some drying time would be reccomended. It's got a little punch to it but to me that just makes it that much better.

It's called five o'clock shadow but to me it's better at five in the morning. I really enjoy this with my morning coffee. It might not be the most complex smoke but that's fine. Sometimes you want something that's easy to smoke,tastes great and has the perfect amount of nicotine.

The taste I get is mostly hay or sweet hay from the Virginias. The perique has a nice spicy note sometimes swaying over to the raisin flavor. The Kentucky ads just enough earthy note and some nicotine. Overall this is a great all day smoke. I will be ordering more. Would like to see what some age does to it.

The only problem I had was you can rub it out too much and have some really small pieces that can go through your pipe.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (27)

Straight pepper hits first, with an earthy leather following. It transitions in to a sweet caramel later on, that pairs well with the other flavours. Full bodied and very enjoyable, kind of like a nicaraguan cigar. I'm buying more.

Pipe Used: Ratos Big city 262

Purchased From: Mellgrens.se

nikonNUT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikonNUT (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Had my first go with Five O'clock Shadow this evening. The first thing that caught my attention was that the tin was bulging like a swollen tick! Pulling the tab resulted in a whoosh! that spooked the cats that were milling around my feet in hopes I was opening canned cat food followed by a raisin-y, tart, funky aroma coming from the tin. I cut and rubbed out about a half a bowls worth (a good thing as this blend burns S--L--O--W ) and retired to my smoking chair. For a strait from the tin baccy it took light easily and mostly stayed lit. The initial puff blasted me with a spiciness had me thinking "OK, this is a lot like Three Friars" which is fine but why add another blend to the cellar? But as I smoked something happened... A caramel like note started developing so that as I sipped on this blend I would get the tangy, spicy hit of the perique on the retrohale and then the Virginia and burley would chime in on the finish with the sweet caramel. I found it very unique and VERY enjoyable! This one is going in my cellar!

Pipe Used: Radice Hawkbill

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I think I recall when this blend was released that it simply Kicking Chicken by another name. Whether that was accurate or not, I couldn't really say nor does it matter as Kicking Chicken is no longer available, but I can see why someone would think it was as I, myself, find this blend virtually identical.

I bought a few tins of this a while back, but hadn't got around to trying them. When a forum friend decided he wanted to repay my kindness and said he had some of this open, I jumped on the opportunity to try some.

As I stated I found this blend about identical to kicking chicken and I really liked that blend a lot. Which is also to say, if you do not like perique that much, then you will not like this blend. It is a strong blend with perique and Dark Fired Kentucky taking the lead in many cases. Sure, there is Virginia which offers subtle sweetness. I am sure this blend would be overwhelming without it. But it is spicy and some may say, a pepper pot.

I still have a tin of Kicking chicken from 2012 which I may have to compare the two more closely when I get around to cracking the tins. Until then, I am happy to know that C & D has made a worthy replacement for that blend.

I am only going with three stars on this one for now as my sample only probably netted me about 5 bowls. But I expect this one to get a fourth star when I later revisit the blend.

Mr.Woods Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Woods (10)

I was looking forward to try this one but it wasn't for me. Then again, the sample I got was very dry, so that might have contributed to my disliking...

To me this blend tasted quite bitter, of course I could sense some Virginia sweetness, but it still tasted mostly like Burley (wich can be a bit tricky for me to enjoy). Not a bad tobacco, just not for me.

Pipe Used: Stanwell churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Mellgrens Fine Tobacco

PuffPuffKeep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffKeep (8)

A crumble cake plug with a sour and tangy aroma. Smoke unleashes a mildly sweet grass and hay with a slight citrus tang and a white pepper spice on the light. Starts out medium in strength. There's wood devolping behind the grass and hay. The white pepper holds but it's smooth. A nuttiness and a mildly sweet bread develop. A slow burning tobacco. The white pepper has mellowed while the grass, hay and wood play well with the nuts and bread. All lending to the sweet characteristics of the tobacco. The blend is complex with it's strength passing medium and into the half way to strong zone. The perique and dark fired kentucky are fantastic. A 3.7 for Five O'Clock Shadow.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (74)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: a gentle topping brings out the interaction between spicy Perique and nutty Burley, sweetened by Virginias.

C&D has been leading the pack with toppings that emphasize more natural flavors that gently complement the tobacco, and this tastes like a combination between liquor, wine and citrus or something like the above. It is not intrusive and takes a background note that harmonizes with the Dark Fired Kentucky (Burley) and Perique which are the centerpiece of this blend. Like the blending Dark Fired Kentucky Burley, this leaf has been smoked less so has more of a nutty Burley flavor with barbecue undertones than the solid, Latakia-level smokiness of the usual dark fired blend. The Virginias soar in like violins behind a strong brass chorus, sweetening the mix and giving it a bit more space between these dueling flavors. With a moderate dose of Nicotine, this is a good smoke (ironically) for getting work done, and the convenient crumble cake is easy to transport and work with.

Thanks to Pipes Magazine founder Kevin Godbee and Smoking Pipes for this sample, which was gifted to me as a prize in the monthly caption contest.

bobbysmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobbysmokes (13)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I got this tobacco as a sample at the Chicago Pipe Show. A C&D Rep asked me what I liked to smoke and he recommended this when I told him I liked the Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky blend. From the first light, I knew I would love this blend. The richness of the dark burley came out immediately and the Perique added just enough spice to round out the smoke. I was reminded of Chicory coffee while smoking this blend and would like to one day pair the two. I agree with other reviews that this blend smokes slowly and cool. Great blend!

Pipe Used: Dagner Devil Anse

Age When Smoked: unkwown

Purchased From: Chicago Pipe Show Sample

Similar Blends: Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.