Red Virginias and perique, pressed into a cake with a pinch of dark-fired Kentucky for an extra bit of depth, C&D's "Five O'Clock Shadow" is blended to provide that simple sort of treat we could all use when the workday is, finally, over.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 oz. & 8 oz. Tin
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full, Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

3.7
butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This working man series is just messing up my routine and Five O'clock Shadow is no exception. This is really a pleasant smoke. The krumble kake is really easy to break down to pipe size. It crumbles easily and packs nicely. It does have a little more oomph than the others in the series. I enjoy it at five or later in the evening. You get a lot of creamy smoke and it is easy to get too eager so go gently. The complexity of it is kind of lost once you get going, but relights show there is a lot going on in the bowl. I recommend it. Oh and don't fill a large pipe this tobacco burns a long time. I small bowl it most of the time. A large bowl will take forever.

Pipe Used: BBB small yacht, Ashton Dublin

Age When Smoked: less than a year

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.com

Similar Blends: Reminds me somewhat of G.L Pease Jack Knife Plug but the burley presence makes it even better.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I love this blend! It's rich earthy and easy to smoke. It comes as a crumble cake that is really easy to deal with. Some drying time would be reccomended. It's got a little punch to it but to me that just makes it that much better.

It's called five o'clock shadow but to me it's better at five in the morning. I really enjoy this with my morning coffee. It might not be the most complex smoke but that's fine. Sometimes you want something that's easy to smoke,tastes great and has the perfect amount of nicotine.

The taste I get is mostly hay or sweet hay from the Virginias. The perique has a nice spicy note sometimes swaying over to the raisin flavor. The Kentucky ads just enough earthy note and some nicotine. Overall this is a great all day smoke. I will be ordering more. Would like to see what some age does to it.

The only problem I had was you can rub it out too much and have some really small pieces that can go through your pipe.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

nikonNUT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikonNUT (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Had my first go with Five O'clock Shadow this evening. The first thing that caught my attention was that the tin was bulging like a swollen tick! Pulling the tab resulted in a whoosh! that spooked that cats that were milling around my feet in hopes I was opening canned cat food followed by a raisin-y, tart, funky aroma coming from the tin. I cut and rubbed out about a half a bowls worth (a good thing as this blend burns S--L--O--W ) and retired to my smoking chair. For a strait from the tin baccy it took light easily and mostly stayed lit. The initial puff blasted me with a spiciness had me thinking "OK, this is a lot like Three Friars" which is fine but why add another blend to the cellar? But as I smoked something happened... A caramel like note started developing so that as I sipped on this blend I would get the tangy, spicy hit of the perique on the retrohale and then the Virginia and burley would chime in on the finish with the sweet caramel. I found it very unique and VERY enjoyable! This one is going in my cellar!

Pipe Used: Radice Hawkbill