Aroma, one of the most important aspects of any smoking tobacco, is the paramount consideration in this blend Dark and light Cavendish tobaccos.

BrandLane Limited

2.2
graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Bought this to try and also to mix with some other tobacco that I had. In the bag, I can't detect much aroma at all, and once lit, it's really mild. Room note is OK, but nothing to get to excited about. I have mixed it with Lane TK-6 and together I get sort of a chocolate-cherry aroma in the pouch. Once lit, room note is very slight, but certainly would not offend anyone. Just really not enough flavor. Not topping, not tobacco, not......, but that's just my taste. Can't get any bite, so this might be a good place to start for a new pipe smoker.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this because the description was well written, by itself it isn't extraordinary however you can mix it with other tobacco and it can improve some blends that end a little harsh. I have mixed this 50/50 with lane BCA and it is very satisfying from start to finish.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Raw Score = 38

Rated Percentage = 63%

Comment = Fruity, a little Hot at the end, has an Fruity After Taste

Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I received an ounce of this as part of a blind test (which I failed) a month or so ago and finally got around to finishing it. Mostly a lightly creamed coffee color with some streaks of black in it. Excellent pouch aroma, if you like the aroma of non-tobacco ingredients in tobacco... which i do.

Not much to say about this one. The description above is very accurate, as this one has very faint flavor and tons of room note. I get hazelnut from this one, but I won't swear to that, as I'm terrible at placing non-tobacco tastes in a blend. But the flavor is very subdued. As a result, this one screams to be a mixer, so I picked up another few oz from a local tobacconist (who was loathe to tell me his house blend was really this!). Using my favorite blending tobacco that's not named perique, C&D's Kelly's Coin, yielded... Kelly's Coin that can be smoked around others. Which was the point. The KC completed obliterated any flavor this HS-3 had, even when only 10% KC was added. I experimented further with this but the results were either not so good or pointless... which is how I'd lean towards describing this blend. 1.75 stars. Try it if you like very, very mild taste with an incredibly luscious but not overpowering room note.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)

This is a nice tobacco. Beautiful brown strands almost like flakes.

I mix in a little Black Gold and I get a very tasty cool smoke in my Ebauchon self carved pipe. I highly recommend this mixture. I think HS-3 would mix well with any black cavendish. Normally I mix some lighter tobacco with a black cav. With HS-3 I do it the other way and mix in a little black cavendish.

And of course others will like the aroma.

Three Stars * for sure.

Addendum: Unfortenately I bought some more from an online vendor and It's not nearly as good as the local bulk. So the consistency is not there.

Added: I doused this with some cheap rum in a tray and let it dry in the sun. This worked well. It burns better and is tastier and smoother. Be carefual about drying tobaccos in the sun as they can get overdried very quickly. Check often.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

HS-3... Sold as a bulk blend, that is made up of long thin strands of tobacco, mostly brown in color, with only traces of the black Cavendish said to be in this blend. Its aroma is typical of other Lane tobaccos.

As for the taste of HS-3, there is plenty, but is unlike any other Lane tobacco I've tried, it has some sharpness to it, that I kind of enjoy, but this sharpness will ghost a pipe in short order. So I would suggest you use a dedicated pipe for this blend, because IMO HS-3's unique flavor does not mix well with many other tobaccos.

Personally I found zero tongue bite, and considering its fine cut, HS-3 gave me a surprisingly long and cool smoke. Judging by the few reviews HS-3 has on this site, many ARO smokers out there have for some reason passed on this one. This stuff is not my favorite, but I smoke ARO's only as a change of pace, but for those that prefer ARO's, IMO this tobacco is worth a try.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

The aroma is nice, the tobacco burns well, but that is about it. I think that they forgot to put the taste in this one. It does have some vanilla components, but it is very flat. There is also curiously not a lot of tobacco taste either. The only use I can think of for this blend is to "water" down stronger aromatics with it.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Plain ol' sweetend golden sliced Cavendish. On it's own, it's a flat, boring, one dimesional aromatic. However, as a blending component it shines. Throw together of 50/50 mix of HS-3 and McClelland VBC and your have one tasty butterscotch flavored aromatic. It also mixes well in other more complex aromatic recipes.

Ricochet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ricochet (7)

This isn't to my nose a strongly vanilla cased tobacco. It could be in there, along with licorice and perhaps other aromas. But I really doubt it's got vanilla in it at all. (Read on for why I think not.) The pouch scent is a rather mild, generically fruity scent that reminds me of chewing tobacco, but isn't strong.

It really doesn't taste like a typical sweet aromatic to me. It's definitely an aromatic, but the aromas are different. It's a mild, cool smoke. Burns rather quickly and dry. The room note is mild and pleasant. The bowl fragrance is interesting. Kind of an herbal, grassy scent with a bit of vanilla-like scent that's not quite vanilla. I think it fits the "new-mown hay" description generally given to tonka bean, a common pipe tobacco "sauce." In foods, tonka bean's been used as a substitute for both vanilla and bitter almond, so it's not easy to pigeonhole. The taste has a slight bitterness to it, with a little tingle to the tongue; definitely a change from the sweet aromatics, but it's not one of the heavy hitters by a long shot. Just a nice difference.

It's a nice changeup for folks who like aromatics but sometimes want a little break from the routine. It's got a stronger taste and aroma, and to me a stronger nicotine kick than Lane's typical sweet Cavendish blends. I've decided I like it well enough that I bought a half pound for a change of pace. I've gone back and edited my earlier impressions of this stuff after smoking it a while. I do like this stuff. One thing I've found is that if I smoke a single bowl of this in a pipe seasoned with my old favorite BCA and then refill it with BCA, that bitter note I mentioned that's slightly noticeable while smoking HS-3 is quite noticeable. Takes smoking several bowls of BCA to clear it all out. I'm presently devoting a couple of pipes to HS-3. This isn't Lane's usual vanilla aromatic.

I've recently tried mixing HS-3 and BCA. I'd imagined that if the bowl residue is so noticeable in a fresh bowl of BCA, in a blend any amount of HS-3 would completely overwhelm it. What I find is that it indeed tastes like HS-3, but mellower, and it burns really well. Makes great clouds of thick white smoke with a pleasant aroma, not so strongly aromatic as BCA. So much for keeping the two separate in separate pipes! :-)

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

I smelled a slight vinegar tone when I opened the pouch, once lit it made the room smell of vanilla. The flavor I got was of a plain nutty Burley. I will come back to this from time to time.

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

this tobacco was a bit of a disappointment to me. I was really hoping for more of a sweet smoke which this isn't. It has a little musky taste and aroma which I can find elsewhere. It is smooth smoking but not one I would want to make my wife endure very often.

Cinema Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cinema Bill (7)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Aroma is the important consideration in this blend of Cavendish tobaccos. This is a good Anytime blend and suggested smoking method is medium to large bowl pipes. Because of the thin string cut this tobacco tends to burn more quickly than others and in a small bowl pipe it could burn hot and that is never a good smoke. Puff slowly and enjoy!

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Compared to other vanilla aromatics I have smoked (Danish Black Vanilla - yuck!), this is honestly not too bad. My local tobacconist sells it under the name of Brookwood. It starts off very mild, almost flat, then builds in fullness and body throughout the bowl. You can't really taste the vanilla flavour except towards the last quarter of a bowl. That's a bit disappointing since, if I'm going to smoke an aromatic, I'd at least like one that tastes like it's supposed to.

The room note on this is pretty nice. Its a nice change of pace, but I won't make it a regular smoke.