A Burley base with Toasted Cavendish added.
Provides the best of Earthy taste with mildness and aroma. Truly a tobacco of tomorrow.

BrandLane Limited
2.6
ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

My tastes have grown (matured?) over more than 40 years and I'm not ashamed to say that nowadays I increasingly relish finding subtle traits in a pipe-full much more than the obvious up-front 'strong' notes! I enjoy a hearty Latakia blend, but... (nowadays) balance this with the gentleness of some of the 'non-confrontational' aromatics that now abound.

HG-2000 has some very subtle nuances that only emerge after 5-10 minutes of gentle 'conversation.' Its not a blend that will "blow your socks off" - but why would a thinking briar-person want THAT? Slightly nutty/vanilla in the first third of a bowl and then a new faint sweetness as of caramel in the second third of the bowl. Presumably a fair burley content is the reason it remains cool in the last third - NO BITE - and produced good, thick smoke for me right down to the modest dottle [in a Peterson Dublin 999]. It's a pleasurable blend with it's own innocuous 'character.' A bit like a refreshing glass of spring-water that cleanses the mouth!! Try it, and remember it's a subtle tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson 999; Peterson Churchwarden

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this as a freebie with a tobacco order. As I ordered ODF, FVF and a couple of VaPers, I suppose it makes some kind of perverse sense to send me a sample of this venerable aromatic... just to round out my education!

This appears to be Lane's BCA dumbed down with some lightly cased burley. Not a bad idea on the face of it, as BCA alone may be too vanilla-y for some. The vanilla taste, and indeed the character of the blend, was diminished for me as a result. I actually enjoy a bowl or two of BCA every year but this was simply too wispy for my tastebuds. Pleasant on the tongue with a nice room note, but too characterless. And it had the added detriment of being rather goopy. When I dried this out to reduce the goop, what flavor it had disappeared into a sea of hot air. I can't find much use for this one but I do recommend it to those who want something exceedingly mild.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

well to be honest there isn't much to write about. however, don't get me wrong this isn't a bad blend. it takes the fire well and burns cool with minimum dottle. the taste is nutty throughout the bowl (it is less sweet than the normal lane standard)and the room note is nutty as well. nothing very impressing to make this blend stand on its own though. couple of bowls in short intervals can stimulate the nicotine build up. its tobacco I can live with if provided with no other choices.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

In deference to those who enjoy an aromatic tobacco I will report that I couldn't detect any chemical or plastic-like tastes normally associated with lousy drug store blends. Further, this does not seem to have a particularly artificial flavor. It tastes like unsweetened, or naturally sweet cocoa and a fairly stout Burley, with a briny finish. The Burley, probably unflavored, dominates this smoke. I can understand why aromatics fans would give 4 stars; and tobacco purists would give 1 star.

I could only manage 3 or 4 bowls -- and that only to please my wife, who loves the room note ("like Christmas cookies baking"). This is among the most tolerable of aromatics that I have bumped into (mainly by accident). It hasn't gooped-up my pipes, but I wouldn't put it in a pricey Charatan -- if I had one. Rather than smoke this stuff, I would recommend that one smoke any of the numerous fine Burleys out there, then eat some fine bittersweet extra dark chocolate.

Summary: no problem lighting or burning; smokes dryly to the bottom; not especially sweet, but leaning that way; good smoke volume; prominent Burley flavor; fair nicotine hit; no bite; has a wife-pleasing aroma; flavor ghost remains in the pipe, but nothing that Old Joe Krantz exorcise.

Smokering Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokering (7)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Hg-2000 is basically Lanes Burley Light mixed with BCA. This blend smokes smooth and leaves hardly any moisture or goop in the heel. Probably wouldn't recommend it to a new smoker due to the higher nicotene content in the Burley. If you want to try something really good, mix BCA to Burley light at a 3-1 ratio. 3 oz BCA to 1 OZ Burley Light. You will have a fuller flavored blend yet it will smoke dry thanks to Burleys capabilities to absorb moisture and flavorings from the other tobaccos. But, all in all if you are looking for a light airy aromatic that you dont have to think about too much, HG-2000 will fit the bill.

Harvey23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harvey23 (1)

There are times, especially mornings, when I prefer something a little milder in a pipe tobacco, and this blend fits the bill. It is a mild aromatic with a lovely blend between the casing and the tobacco taste. I agree that it's a great blend for beginners, but I find that I come back to it on many occasions that call for something a little milder - or if I particularly want the room note to be appealing to non-smokers. The aroma in the bag is fairly pronounced, but the taste is beautifully balanced and not at all overly flavored. Smokes dry with no bite. All in all a very good blend.

CrazyTommy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CrazyTommy (3)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I absolutely love HG-2000! I've yet to settle on one tobacco that is my end-all, be-all, but of the dozens of blends I've tried in both aromatic and English blends, HG-2000 is one of my go-to's.

It's not a heavy aromatic with a heavy casing or topping, nor is it anywhere close to the rich, full-flavors of VaPers or other English offerings. What it is though, is a mild, cool-smoking, non-biting, light aromatic with a VERY subtle hint of vanilla and maybe something else that I just can't put my finger on.

What I love about this blend is how mellow and unobtrusive it is. You can smoke this all day, bowl-after-bowl and it never gets harsh, "bitey" or overwhelming like a heavy, richly-spiced (read Perique) Balkan or English blend can.

Lights very easily. Minimal relighting. Burns to a fine ash. No goop at the end of the smoke. Towards the last 1/3 of the bowl it can taste a little "ashy" but the main flavor remains nonetheless. One of the few blends that my wife, who absolutely hates smoke of any kind, will say, "That one smells ok" to. This is the one blend I've encountered that I could see myself buying a few pounds of and keeping on-hand forever.

Pipe Used: Jobey, Sav, BC briars, and MM cobs.

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q.

Tobacco_Noob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco_Noob (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a mild, earthy tobacco for a cool, mild aromatic smoke. Like others have said, nothing to write home about, but it is not bad at all. I could see this being some folks all-day smoke. Flavor is nutty and musty, not sweet by any means.

Pipe Used: Savinelli La Pipa, Grabow Crown Duke

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, No Bite, nice Flavor

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I wouldn't be surprised to learn this is some combination of BCA and BLWB. I'm sure I taste the same flavoring as BCA, but its backed up by the burley. This is a quality aromatic. There is a pronounced tobacco flavor that melds nicely with the flavoring. It burns nicely, doesn't bite, and keeps its flavor consistently throughout the bowl. A very strong three stars.

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Very plain cavendish.....

Kind of like 1Q without the brains.....

Or the flavor for that matter.....

Not that that's a bad thing.

Harley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harley (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

My local tobacconist sells this as "1990's", a tobacco of the future.

This is a sweet smelling aromatic, reminds me of a chocolate or vanilla aroma. But as sweet as it smells, it has almost no flavor. It burns fairly wet, especially at the end of the bowl, make sure your pipe passes the pipe cleaner test. This is one of my first tobaccos that I tried, and I would recommend it to any beginner pipe enthusiast.

The room note is very pleasant, even to non smokers.

I keep this on hand to remind me of the flavors that I liked when I started, and also to give to visitors that would like to try a pipe for the first time (I keep a supply of corncobs on hand).