A superbly balanced blend of Golden Virginia and Burley tobaccos enhanced with a flurry of full bodied Toasted Cavendish and lavishly flavored with a delightful extract of freshly roasted hazelnuts.

BrandLane Limited
Strength
Taste
2.6
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

The golden Virginia is grassy with a touch of citrus. The toasted cavendish is plain, and barely existent. The burleys are slightly nutty sweet, though muted a little. I get a hint of vanilla, too. The hazelnut topping is not strong and mostly flashes off in the last third of the bowl. Has little nicotine. Burns well, too well if you're a fast puffer, and will leave some moisture at the finish. Needs few relights. The after taste is hardly obvious. An all day smoke. It's not an awful blend, but it's boring, suffers too many drawbacks, and doesn't have enough plus marks to recommend it.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

An unremarkable Virgina/Burley combination that I smoked regularly for about two days. It was so easy to smoke and required no concentration. The Hazelnut extract tasted more like Vanilla to me.

Is it tobacco? Yes. The Hazelnut taste actually dissipates aftr the first half of the bowl. That's when you know you've been had. The cheap leaf is finally revealed at that point.

This is a fairly mild smoking experience. It was easy to smoke slowly and came at a decent state of hydration for me. The topping is a little artificial, and I am not sure I would identify it as hazelnut. I get a little vanilla and maybe some caramel or toasted marshmallow. There is not much tobacco flavor in the first half of the bowl. It turns into a non-descript mild burley flavor in the last half - a little nutty with no earthiness. It leaves an aftertaste which I don't find especially pleasant.

I was not impressed by the topping or its hazelnut flavor. The tobacco base is disappointing. This is better than not smoking but not much.

The room note is nice enough, and burn qualities are good. It does not taste like much.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Since I wrote this review I haven't been back to Hazelnut. After awhile the topping evaporated and I kept geting bit. Lowering the rating to 2 stars.

This was discontinued by Lane for awhile so when you order from smoking pipes or pipes and cigars you know you are getting this fresh from Lane. Hazelnut is a very light aromatic (by Lane standards), golden Cavendish with some fire cured thrown in. Not goopy or particularly sticky, smells like Hazelnuts but again its very mild by Lane standards. Hazelnut is no Molto Dolce or Blue Note but does smell very nice and does have some tobacco flavor. I think Hazelnut is a much better smoke as a blender... It's inexpensive, tastes nice and mostly behaves but will bite if provoked, what more can you ask for? Just keep in mind it wont bowl you over with Aromatic flavors, its very mild so if you are looking for a heady blend this isn't it.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Grabow

Similar Blends: Captain Black - Gold.

Lower Alabama Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lower Alabama Piper (8)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is okay, I did not detect any flavor of hazelnut during the smoke at all. This is something that can be smoked all day without any problem. I can detect the hazelnut upon opening the can but that's as far as it goes. This is a decent tobacco but there's better Blends out there. This would be a decent smoke from new pipe smoker.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum Country Gentleman

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Lane Limited - Hazelnut.

Prominently it's a brown ribbon but includes a small amount of black pieces. Apart from a few coarser ribbons the majority's pretty well rubbed. The unlit aroma has more of a sweetness to it than a nuttiness.

Once lit the flavour's more of an aromatic VaBur, without Cavendish. There's a sweetness present, but this seems heavier than I'd expect from Cavendish. To be fair the sweetness easily outweighs the hazelnuts; I can hardly taste any nuts! It burns a bit quick.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: quite pleasant.

I don't find this that bad a smoke, nor do I find it anything like the description. The name shouldn't be Hazelnut. For this reason I can only somewhat recommend it:

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Pipe of the Year 2016

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (39)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is a good morning blend for me because I drink it with a cup of coffee every morning and I like to smoke it in the evening to. It kinda reminds me of Captain Black Gold without the after taste and does have the hazelnut taste to it. This blend has so much more depth to it as well and you can taste the smoothness of the Virginia's and the burley really helps with the nutty taste and cuts the bite out of what the Virginia's would do if the burley was not present. The Cavendish is what makes it taste alittle like the Captain Black Gold but Hazelnut is still nothing like Gold in just saying it reminds me of that blend so please don't think I'm saying it's like Gold because I'm not, its very smooth and actually has some nicotine, not a ton of it but I noticed it does have alittle more then most of Lanes aromatic blends it must be because its main base is Virginia's so that could explain it but in glad it does the way it does because it goes perfect with coffee. Its nutty tones is very light but very good and its not super sweet which is perfect but it is sweet enough to be very enjoyable but not goopy and a wet tounge biting smoke. Very well rounded and I recommend this to a new pipe smoker anyday because its a great all day smoke and to a seasoned pipe smoker who has never tried it because its not a in your face over done typical aromatic and actually taste good, no chemical taste no low grade tobaccos, does not taste artificial and is nice and mild. I give it two thumbs up because I appreciate for what it is. It reminds me of McClellands just plain nut but topped with hazelnut and its affordable you just can't beat that. Have a good night and God bless all you fellow pipe smokers!!!

Pipe Used: MM Cobs Tinderbox Pipes etc.

Age When Smoked: 39

Similar Blends: L.

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (46)

I think this one has a good, discernible hazelnut flavor. Burns easily and requires no attention.. has a decent room note and a mild tobacco flavor. I do like this one and will most likely get more when I run out.. I don't think it has a "cheap leaf" flavor, just a very mild one probably not too easy to taste if you're used to stronger blends.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meershchaum Diplomat

Age When Smoked: right out of bag

SmokinChick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokinChick (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Upon opening my bag of Lane Hazelnut the aroma was nutty but also creamy with some earthy notes as well. Once I lit the bowl I was able to taste the hazelnut for the first quarter of the bowl then the hazelnut flavor dissipates. I recommend smoking this blend slow. Because this blend burns so well and there is not a high moisture content like a lot of other aromatics smoking this blend was almost effortless.

Pipe Used: Viking Classic

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

LongJnSilver Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LongJnSilver (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Ye aromatic blasters begone forsooth! My son is visiting from St. Louis and had in his pipe kit a sample packet of Lane Hazlet by Scandinavian Tobacco Group - a gift from a friend who attended the Chicago Pipe Show. As it was dusk, and fearing that I would hate myself all night if I burned his pure Latakia flake (dargon breath), I chose this lovely Lane aromatic in a small gold foil packet (a sample?). Perfect choice for an evening smoke (though I have just bought two tins of Dunhill Nightcap). I smoked a bowl full in the little 1969 Dunhill I gave him for his 40th birthday (b. 1969). Delightful! Waking at 2 AM to attend to a call of nature, I found that the taste in my mouth was pleasant, and I purposed to make a search for this bakky to be among my first activities of the morning... why I'm here. - LongJnSilver, Pipe Club of London

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Age When Smoked: < 1 year

Purchased From: sample - Chicago Pipe Show

Similar Blends: Rather Unique.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Somewhat underwhelming. It has a slight nutty flavor, but too mild to call hazelnut, IMHO. No tongue bite, can be smoked at any time of day. Many compliments from bystanders, some could even ID it as hazelnut. Ready to smoke out of the pouch, moisture level perfect.

Pipe Used: bent Italian

Purchased From: Cup o Joes

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one blend that was hidden away for a while. When Scandinavian Tobacco Group purchased Lane Limited a few years back they decided it was time to dust off the recipe and revive this blend. I'm glad they did!

I first sampled it at the West Coast Pipe Show. STG was there and had a number of Lane blends available to sample. I enjoyed it so much I ordered up four ounces when I got home.

It's a wonderful blend. A good combination of quality Virginia, Burley, and Cavendish with a wonderful top dressing of hazelnut.

The moisture level is optimum. It doesn't require any drying time. It won't make the pipe gurgle or leave a sticky mess in the bottom of the bowl.

On the light up you get a good dose of the hazelnut flavor. It's almost like a nice hazelnut coffee creamer, nutty and creamy. After the initial light up the top dressing dances with the tobacco flavors. You get a bit of the nuttiness from the Burley and sweetness from the Virginia. It's not a complex flavor, but one that is balanced well between tobacco and top dressing.

As long as you keep a nice rhythm it smokes rather cool. I haven't had any problems with it biting. It's a blend that I could smoke all day every day.

As far as room note goes I've had nothing but compliments when smoking this blend out in public.

I'd also say it's a good blend for beginners because of how evenly the flavor is delivered and the fact that I haven't had any tongue burn or bite from it.

Age When Smoked: 1-3 Months

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

Aroma galore! All around enjoy this tobacco. It's light and airy. The smoke is similar to billows of silky clouds. It leaves my pipes wet but never really goopy. I smoke this in many of my dedicated aromatic pipes, primarily because it ghosts a pipe with ease. I deviated once and smoked this blend in one of my English pipes, it left a very distinctive ghost behind. Apart from that, I definitely recommend this quaint little aromatic. Girlfriends and Mothers will loves the smell protruding from your pipe!!

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Freehand, Aldo Velani, corn cob(s).

Age When Smoked: 1-3 months

cturnitsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cturnitsa (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Review after one pipe:

A golden Virginia with some smoky Cavendish tossed in. Smelled great (just like hazelnut) out of the pouch, and had excellent packing/lighting/smoking qualities.

I enjoyed the smell and taste of this one up to the end, and was sad when my pipe petered out.

My overall impression was of a nice, dry smoke - not always the impression I get from my favorite aromatics.

If you like aromatics, and are often put off by blends that tend to burn "wet", give this one a try. It's qualities will impress you, and it is very enjoyable, if mild.

Note: I am usually wary of Virginia/Burley blends because they sometimes will give me a little bit of a bite (given my puffing habits). This one, however, did not.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

this is a Lane tobacco, and being as such it should be taken in consideration for its characters (heavier casing and topping, extra humidity level). that being said its a decent aromatic. a light mixture of burly/Virginia and Cavendish is as usually added to the game (not much of it though). the blend is a ribbon cut and therefore packs with ease. takes the fire very well and leaves minimal dottles at the end. the taste is nutty indeed, however the hazelnut flavor whispers in and out constantly until the last quarter of the bowl when it is a nutty burly taste dominantly. it have a good strength to it, being an aromatic! a second bowl shortly after the first can make you saturated with vit N. the aroma is not bad, nutty indeed and many people found it to their liking. a good aromatic with decent casing and a better choice for those who prefer straight burly/Virginia blends.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (28)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

As being mostly an English blend smoker these days, I actually appreciated this smoke oddly enough.. I received it as a sample from my favorite online tobacconist with my usual order of Dunhill Nightcap and Squadron Leader.

It wasn't goopy and syrupy like most Lane aromatic products I've dealt with in the past. It smoked quite nicely, very smooth, and my better half gave it two thumbs up on the room note, saying, and I quote: "DAMN, that smells really good".

I might keep a little of this on hand to please the wife, and as an occasional break from my usual English encounters. If someone is an aromatic smoker, I would surmise that they would really, really like this one. However, it did ever so slightly bite.

Update: Although the remainder of my review is unchanged, I am upgrading the "it did ever so slightly bite" comment to: "this thing can bite like a rabid dog!" Judas Priest in a sidecar, this thing bit my tongue like it had purpose!

The room note remains absolutely amazing.

graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)

Got this also as a sample with my last order from my favorite online tobacco and pipe shop.Pouch aroma is wonderful, and the mild nutty flavors come through from the first charring light. Very nice. I liked it well enough that when I place my order for this month, I bought 8 oz. Being a long time ARO smoker, this is a very pleasant blend of Virginia and Burley with a nice topping, that isn't overpowering. Room note is really quite nice, and overal, not overly complex, but a very enjoyable smoke.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Hazelnuts! Harkens back to the days of my first dime store pipe, and Halleluiah Brothers pipe tobacco (fictional). Grandpa's 2 bit plug. A Brown Derby beer, if you will. A kind of dim bulb, flickering in an unkempt Chevron station. It's from Lane so you'd think it would taste of some quality, but to me it seems to be synthetic casings and cheep leaf, because 1/2 way down it begins to taste like a Lucky Strike. If you like Hai Karate cologne and shallow flattery blown in your direction, this is the one to fall for. Personally, I'd rather have a strand of fly paper stuck to my Stetson.

Guys, if you're just starting out and can't afford the higher end stuff; do yourself a favor and buy some Capt. Black, Half and Half, or Prince Albert. Something along those lines, or you may never smoke a pipe again. I'm experienced, and I do like a good aromatic on occasion, but for the most part I much prefer good English. You never know unless you try, so I gave this a shot. I'm glad I was given a sample, because the rest went into the briar patch, which no doubt the weeds felt was my attempt at poisoning them.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

I'm pretty much a dedicated English blend smoker. However, last Saturday afternoon my wife said, "You look bored; do what I do...go shopping". So I did. Now, I am no longer allowed into salt water tackle shops unaccompanied by wife, and so I dropped into Smoker Friendly #14 and picked up several Lane bulk aromatics to play with along with my first ever Missouri Meerschaum Corncob pipe (not wanting to sacrifice a good briar. I did not expect great things such as great tobacco flavor or timid flavorings. My expectations were not denied. This was fun stuff. A nice, but intensely flavored smoke. I did not expect much and got more than my expectations. I also picked up some Lane Very Cherry and RB-Light (no. 627) both not reviewed on these boards. You may just copy my comments here for Hazelnut to them. Not bad stuff for what they are.