A superbly balanced blend of Golden Virginia and Burley tobaccos enhanced with a flurry of full bodied Toasted Cavendish and lavishly flavored with a delightful extract of freshly roasted hazelnuts.

BrandLane Limited

2.7
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (102)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Beware the reviews that start with "I am primarily an English smoker but...." as these reviews will always end in two stars for an aromatic. Really people if you don't like aromatics then don't rate them.... It brings down the ratings for the blend that might be an aromatic smokers holy grail...

Anyways onto the review. This was discontinued by Lane for awhile so when you order from smoking pipes or pipes and cigars you know you are getting this fresh from Lane. Hazelnut is a very light aromatic (by Lane standards), golden Cavendish with some fire cured thrown in. Not goopy or particularly sticky, smells like Hazelnuts but again its very mild by Lane standards. Hazelnut is no Molto Dolce or Blue Note but does smell very nice and does have some tobacco flavor. I mix it into thirds with Prince Albert and Sutliff Vanilla Black Cavendish which makes it into a great smoke. Half and Half with the Prince also is delicious, in fact I think Hazelnut is a much better smoke as a blender... It's inexpensive, tastes nice and behaves, what more can you ask for? Just keep in mind it wont bowl you over with Aromatic flavors, its very mild so if you are looking for a heady blend this isn't it. I like it, 3 stars!

Pipe Used: Cobs, Grabow

Similar Blends: Captain Black - Gold.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (46)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one blend that was hidden away for a while. When Scandinavian Tobacco Group purchased Lane Limited a few years back they decided it was time to dust off the recipe and revive this blend. I'm glad they did!

I first sampled it at the West Coast Pipe Show. STG was there and had a number of Lane blends available to sample. I enjoyed it so much I ordered up four ounces when I got home.

It's a wonderful blend. A good combination of quality Virginia, Burley, and Cavendish with a wonderful top dressing of hazelnut.

The moisture level is optimum. It doesn't require any drying time. It won't make the pipe gurgle or leave a sticky mess in the bottom of the bowl.

On the light up you get a good dose of the hazelnut flavor. It's almost like a nice hazelnut coffee creamer, nutty and creamy. After the initial light up the top dressing dances with the tobacco flavors. You get a bit of the nuttiness from the Burley and sweetness from the Virginia. It's not a complex flavor, but one that is balanced well between tobacco and top dressing.

As long as you keep a nice rhythm it smokes rather cool. I haven't had any problems with it biting. It's a blend that I could smoke all day every day.

As far as room note goes I've had nothing but compliments when smoking this blend out in public.

I'd also say it's a good blend for beginners because of how evenly the flavor is delivered and the fact that I haven't had any tongue burn or bite from it.

Age When Smoked: 1-3 Months

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (36)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

Aroma galore! All around enjoy this tobacco. It's light and airy. The smoke is similar to billows of silky clouds. It leaves my pipes wet but never really goopy. I smoke this in many of my dedicated aromatic pipes, primarily because it ghosts a pipe with ease. I deviated once and smoked this blend in one of my English pipes, it left a very distinctive ghost behind. Apart from that, I definitely recommend this quaint little aromatic. Girlfriends and Mothers will loves the smell protruding from your pipe!!

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Freehand, Aldo Velani, corn cob(s).

Age When Smoked: 1-3 months

Rounder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rounder (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I normally do not smoke aromatics but decided to try one for kicks and I was very surprised that I actually like this one. Not too wet like most aromatics I've tried and no bite. Nice change of pace.

Pipe Used: West Berlin

cturnitsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cturnitsa (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Review after one pipe:

A golden Virginia with some smoky Cavendish tossed in. Smelled great (just like hazelnut) out of the pouch, and had excellent packing/lighting/smoking qualities.

I enjoyed the smell and taste of this one up to the end, and was sad when my pipe petered out.

My overall impression was of a nice, dry smoke - not always the impression I get from my favorite aromatics.

If you like aromatics, and are often put off by blends that tend to burn "wet", give this one a try. It's qualities will impress you, and it is very enjoyable, if mild.

Note: I am usually wary of Virginia/Burley blends because they sometimes will give me a little bit of a bite (given my puffing habits). This one, however, did not.

AleWatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AleWatcher (5)

This isn't a bad little aromatic.

Nice nuttiness. Pairs well with my morning coffee. This is a decent little tobacco to have around for those days when I don't feel like tea and Early Morming Pipe on my way to work.

This burned surprisingly well for an aromatic-- left little in the bowl other than ash and stayed lit quite nicely.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

this is a Lane tobacco, and being as such it should be taken in consideration for its characters (heavier casing and topping, extra humidity level). that being said its a decent aromatic. a light mixture of burly/Virginia and Cavendish is as usually added to the game (not much of it though). the blend is a ribbon cut and therefore packs with ease. takes the fire very well and leaves minimal dottles at the end. the taste is nutty indeed, however the hazelnut flavor whispers in and out constantly until the last quarter of the bowl when it is a nutty burly taste dominantly. it have a good strength to it, being an aromatic! a second bowl shortly after the first can make you saturated with vit N. the aroma is not bad, nutty indeed and many people found it to their liking. a good aromatic with decent casing and a better choice for those who prefer straight burly/Virginia blends.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (27)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

As being mostly an English blend smoker these days, I actually appreciated this smoke oddly enough.. I received it as a sample from my favorite online tobacconist with my usual order of Dunhill Nightcap and Squadron Leader.

It wasn't goopy and syrupy like most Lane aromatic products I've dealt with in the past. It smoked quite nicely, very smooth, and my better half gave it two thumbs up on the room note, saying, and I quote: "DAMN, that smells really good".

I might keep a little of this on hand to please the wife, and as an occasional break from my usual English encounters. If someone is an aromatic smoker, I would surmise that they would really, really like this one. However, it did ever so slightly bite.

Update: Although the remainder of my review is unchanged, I am upgrading the "it did ever so slightly bite" comment to: "this thing can bite like a rabid dog!" Judas Priest in a sidecar, this thing bit my tongue like it had purpose!

The room note remains absolutely amazing.

graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)

Got this also as a sample with my last order from my favorite online tobacco and pipe shop.Pouch aroma is wonderful, and the mild nutty flavors come through from the first charring light. Very nice. I liked it well enough that when I place my order for this month, I bought 8 oz. Being a long time ARO smoker, this is a very pleasant blend of Virginia and Burley with a nice topping, that isn't overpowering. Room note is really quite nice, and overal, not overly complex, but a very enjoyable smoke.

dt753 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dt753 (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

As a long-time smoker of aromatics, I can recommend this concoction to anyone who likes aromatics.

The 2 ounce sample I picked up from my local brick-and-mortar last week is just about gone. I find that while Lane's Hazelnut would never likely be my all-day smoke, I do enjoy a couple bowls a day. This tobacco seems to consist mostly of burley and Virginias, with a heaping helping of sweet hazelnut flavoring. The moisture content seems to be pretty low, and it burns down to a nice fine ash with a minimum of fuss.

If puffed heavily it will bite a little, but a slow pace will reward you with a good smoke and a fantastic room note....all at an affordable price.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Hazelnuts! Harkens back to the days of my first dime store pipe, and Halleluiah Brothers pipe tobacco (fictional). Grandpa's 2 bit plug. A Brown Derby beer, if you will. A kind of dim bulb, flickering in an unkempt Chevron station. It's from Lane so you'd think it would taste of some quality, but to me it seems to be synthetic casings and cheep leaf, because 1/2 way down it begins to taste like a Lucky Strike. If you like Hai Karate cologne and shallow flattery blown in your direction, this is the one to fall for. Personally, I'd rather have a strand of fly paper stuck to my Stetson.

Guys, if you're just starting out and can't afford the higher end stuff; do yourself a favor and buy some Capt. Black, Half and Half, or Prince Albert. Something along those lines, or you may never smoke a pipe again. I'm experienced, and I do like a good aromatic on occasion, but for the most part I much prefer good English. You never know unless you try, so I gave this a shot. I'm glad I was given a sample, because the rest went into the briar patch, which no doubt the weeds felt was my attempt at poisoning them.

Taerin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taerin (20)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Bad tongue bite, no real taste, awesome smell. It's a real average aromatic.

The smell is out of this world good, which is the only thing I like about this tobacco. The taste leaves something to be desired, it's just nothing special as the other reviewers have noted; it's very earthy and mild. This tobacco will make the whole room smell like heaven and the pipe will continue to smell like heaven days later after the smoking session.

One use for this tobacco is to make any pipe smell good once again after the wrong tobacco that makes it smell bad. Other than that it bites too much for me to want to use.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I smoked a grand total of two bowls before drawing a conclusion:

Forgettable.

Nevermind the fact I find Cavendish tobaccos largely forgettable to begin with; this blend tends to smell awesome in the pouch, and in the air...it's in the snork that it happens to bore the pee out of me. Once again, a trait only mildly peculiar to me: cavendish=blah.

Not a super common trait, I know...many of you' se love it...more power to ya. Me? I can do without.

If you like the smell of hazelnuts..go for it. I prefer my 'baccy to taste like 'baccy. Not a bad thing, whether for you, or me.

2 generous stars.

Hauser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hauser (16)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This has a great aroma in the pouch and in this case, that translates into a great aroma in the room. It doesn't in any way translate into a hazelnut taste, but it smokes smoothly enough though. Puff it too fast and it will bite you slightly. While great on its own, it also mixes nicely with Lanes BCA. I've mixed them 75%/25% And the small amount of BCA helps add another dimension. All in all, an excellent aromatic with a wonderful room note.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

I'm pretty much a dedicated English blend smoker. However, last Saturday afternoon my wife said, "You look bored; do what I do...go shopping". So I did. Now, I am no longer allowed into salt water tackle shops unaccompanied by wife, and so I dropped into Smoker Friendly #14 and picked up several Lane bulk aromatics to play with along with my first ever Missouri Meerschaum Corncob pipe (not wanting to sacrifice a good briar. I did not expect great things such as great tobacco flavor or timid flavorings. My expectations were not denied. This was fun stuff. A nice, but intensely flavored smoke. I did not expect much and got more than my expectations. I also picked up some Lane Very Cherry and RB-Light (no. 627) both not reviewed on these boards. You may just copy my comments here for Hazelnut to them. Not bad stuff for what they are.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

An unremarkable Virgina/Burley combination that I smoked regularly for about two days. It was so easy to smoke and required no concentration. The Hazelnut extract tasted more like Vanilla to me.

Is it tobacco? Yes. The Hazelnut taste actually dissipates aftr the first half of the bowl. That's when you know you've been had. The cheap leaf is finally revealed at that point.

Dillholio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dillholio (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am a fan of Lane's aromatics & LL-7 is just about my favorite right now.

Hazelnut has that particular Captain Black Royal/LL-7 distinctive flavor to it but with a little more nuttiness. If one likes that over all flavor, but feels the LL-7 is too goopy, or the casing is too heavy sweet, then this may be a good alternative. It is definately a much lighter tobacco & makes for a great change up.

The Irish Apologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Irish Apologist (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

As a smoker of mostly aromatics, I must say that I am indeed pleased with this blend. I have very distinct tastes and for the most part the Hazelnut blend satisfied me. The pouch aroma is delightful but not overwhelming, the flavour again pleasant but not vulgar with the casing.

I smoked this in a King's Cross featherweight and I think that helped alot because even though the blend is nice, I would not suggest smoking alot of this. A small bowlful is enough.

I will keep this as an occasional mid-evening offering...

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)

The reviewer below me pretty much said it right. This has a nice aroma but isn't anything special. It is not overly sweet (or really sweet at all) nor cased and tastes "natural" as far as aromatics go. I was suprised by the bite due to my purposely leisurely smoking of it, but I think that has to do with improper storage by the store where it was purchased.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Not bad. As a lover of old world English blends and a fussy aromatic dabbler, this is not too shabby. It could use a little less flavoring to taste more tobacco, but it's not overloaded with casing and sticky like a lot of other aromatics out there. I think the nuttiness helps focus on the little bit of real tobacco taste that's there. Nothing to write home about, but nothing that will make you sick with syrup overload either.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)

I wish I had listened to "RebelPipster".

One star is the best I can do for this one.

Tiger

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I very rarely ever smoke Lane tobacco, but I had to give this one a try. As a connoisseur of aromatic blended tobaccos I really enjoyed the aroma as it presented itself when I first opened the jar at the tobacco shop.

The first time two months ago till now I detected no harsh strong tasting tobacco and experienced no tongue bite, the aroma was a pleasant and not a sickening sweet odor. The toasted cavendish blended with the Burley and Virginia tobaccos gave this an excellent tasting tobacco.

If you are not into smoking aromatic tobacco blends this blend is not for you, if you are looking to start out with an aromatic for the first time I would not suggest this particular blend. If you are a pipe smoker who loves the full enriched flavor and aroma of a tobacco blend, then you will love this blend.

I will keep this tobacco on hand all the time

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Very Strong Mild Strong

If you have always longed to smoke coffee sweetener in your pipe, this is for you. Otherwise, learn from my sacrifice in the name of smoking science, and avoid it as you would a tenth creme brulee. If you do smoke it, bring a blowtorch, as this stuff just laughs at a Corona Old Boy's attempts to keep it smoldering.

RebelPipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipester (12)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

Reading the above review the fear was put forth. The thought of "there goes a Christmas present from the wife that will be barely tolerable."

The Virginia and Burley cut seems to be the majority of this blend ~95%. Just a few flecks of toasted Cavendish add a little body.

Yes, this is a very potent aromatic blend. It reminds one of Captain Black Gold with a little extra nuttiness coming through.

Do not discount this blend, it took a little bit of playing with the bowl packing, but it was worth it. It can be smoked relatively easy if a good bit of bounce is left in this blend.

In addition, the flavor of the Burley and Cavendish blend to give an illusion of toasted Hazelnut with a good bit of sugar and cream. This is not a bad trait for the aromatic smoker.

Smoking this in a Stanwell Apache and a Captain Black Sentinel produced the same results. A favorable smoke and with the Stanwell one has to really puff on it to get a bite to come through.

If you need a fix of a decent aromatic then try this. If you are a hard core, VA, Burley and/or English smoker, be warned and stay away.