Beautiful golden tobaccos pressed and cut into flavorful slices.

BrandLane Limited
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is an economical flake cut tobacco. My definition of cavendish is that it is a type of cut...not a type of tobacco. Perhaps in the manufacturing process it was cavendish cut then pressed and cut into long slices.

It is not a complex tobacco rather mild, pleasing room note, and mild taste. What combination of tobaccos is unknown. Virginia and Burley, but in what proportion is hard to define. Sometimes I taste more Virginia than anything else and since I have aged two of the two lb. boxes from 1997 what changes may have been made, since then, I don't know.

The slices do remind me of other mild Danish type tobaccos, but without all the casings/flavorings. I fold and crumple the slices, keep fairly moist, keeping what I place in the bowl as a broken, slightly rubbed flake.

Since I prefer plug and flake cut tobaccos, this one fits the bill. Not too expensive and a lighter taste than the matured virginia plugs I usually smoke. Most often smoked in a group 5 size billiard. Very much worth a try for those seeking a mild slice.

...a pipe is to be savored...

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

There?s nothing wrong with this stuff at all, I don?t understand the negative reviews. This is the first Lane product I?ve smoked, honestly, I was expecting something cheap and heavily cased. It?s a respectable mild flake, harmless and pleasant. Folks want to compare it to MacBarens and Stokkebyes navy flake? Compares well I think. I have a decent palatte, not sure I could tell the three apart in a blind taste test, though it is a bit sweeter and less tendency to bite than the Macbarens. I?ve smoked a lot of the Stokkebyes and like it. It would be luck to pass a blind test.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Am enjoying this very much. A light Cav, with a bit of tongue bite and aftershock, but delicate to smell and taste. B.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Before the Internet, this was the best thing that came out of my local tobacconist's bulk jars. I have just opened up a jar I had been ageing since 1999 and it's wonderful.

He always sold it under the name of Sweet Danish Slices and I think that's a perfect description of this blend. It's definitely something that Mac Baren or others could have thought up. It burns well, is extremely sweet and ages wonderfully. There is a tendency to bite if puffed fast, and slow smoking brings out the subtle hints in flavors. Like others have mentioned, it was always very affordable and I'm glad I stocked up when I did.

My local tobacconist is now gone and soon this blend will be gone from my rotation but it's worth stocking up on again.

obbj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obbj (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I can't add much to what's already been said bout this great tobacco except I find this to be one of the best flake/slice tobaccos. Even if your primarily a straight tobacco smoker who doesn't like anything considered aromatic because of the extremely mild casing you should try this tobacco and you will see it is excellent.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (50)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have always been leery of bulk pressed cavendish tobaccos but I thought I would give this a try.

The casing is certainly overpowering on the bourbon end but can be adjusted by a good rub out and letting it air for a good hour or so. The moisture content of this tobacco is a little heavy too and the resting does lend this offering to a dryer smoke.

This tobacco definitely has a minor degree of complexity for what it is. It lends itself well to to your favorite adult beverage and cheese and crackers. GCS has a nice nutty taste with some showings of spice and pepper. The room note will not offend most but this blend should be saved for airier venues. It burns well but a little hot if puffed too zealously. The ash is a medium to dark grey color and leaves little dottle if any.

For what it is, three out of four stars but no starter in my rotation!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Nearly identicle in sight, taste and smell to Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. It comes in long bacon like strips but smokes far better when rubbed out rather than folded. Decent choice for a long burning, mild flake tobacco. Not overly strong but not too weak.

A decent economical flake tobacco. However, far better flakes are available

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

The tobacconist told me that this was the same as Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake that I have been smoking for a change of pace for the last couple of years. I think the LNF is better.

I bought the 1 Kg package last summer, and still have at least half of it left. I can't say I don't like it, but I find myself buying tins of Cherry Blend and Half and Half, and almost always, staying away from the Lane slices.

Tastewise, the Lane slices bite with a too mild flavor. When I finish this stuff, I will return to Stokkebye's.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a mild, light Virginia flake in the Danish style that compares well with Troost, Orlik Golden Slices and Stokkebye Luxury Curly Slices. At $15-20/lb it is the economical choice in this genre.

Comes in large, long flakes that I cut into thirds and store in mason jars. It is basically unflavored and has a mild sweetness coming from the Virgina tobacco. Little tendency to bite for a Virginia.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)

When I first started smoking Flake tobaccos this one was my favorite for a long time. It's a very nice tobacco but not complex enough for me anymore. I still keep a lot of it around and have a pipe that just loves this tobacco. You really can't go wrong with this one for a bulk flake. But there is better stuff out there in tins.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I bought some of this for a friend and ended up keeping a bit for myself to try. As another reviewer pointed out, it does smoke better after rubbing it out and letting it air a bit. A didn't really detect any flavouring on it, but rather a somewhat bland tobacco with a little natural sweetness. I aged it about 18 months to see if that sweetness would increase - it did a bit, but I don't think it will benefit from further ageing. Its not a bad tobacco, but nothing to write home about. I'll finish up what I have, but I won't be purchasing it again.

I bought this by mistake. I was told this was a McClelland tobacco. Anyway after smoking a few bowls I would have to give this a 3 stars in the realm of flake or sliced tobaccos. A good honest seemingly unflavored tobacco from Lane. Might be considered a Dutch-style Flake. Good for mindless puffing, no tongue-bite encountered.