The rarest, most costly mixture composed of the finest Virginia, Mahalla, Dubac and Mountain Leaf Latakia. Recognized as the world's most outstanding smoking mixture.

BrandLane Limited

2.5
Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is the new 2014 Lane re-introduction of this old blend, with the original Perique formula.

Description says simple but typical combo of leafs, without detail of Turkish varieties. A ribbon cut, English-Oriental blend or Balkan in my book, but the Perique I assume makes it stronger. The Turkish-Latiakia component stands out in flavor, but the Perique tips it into a spicier-heavier breed.

First half of bowl in a newer Northern Briar (large cobbleshell) is nice tasting English but something kicks at mid-way point to ramp up the spiciness. I gather the Turkish is meeting the Perique. However, in the my 60's Dunhill pipe, the blend tastes mellower for longer but it still has a strong finish.

I suppose without the original formula Perique added, the blend would have been something like a Rattray lighter Scottish blend, which vary from bland to good depending on your preferences. This is definitely more of an Oriental experience and certainly is not flat.

I smoked some of the old Lane English blends in the 70's (including Medal of Honor, Black Knight, etc.), and they were on the exotic-strong side for me then. I don't specifically remember this one, but it still taastes like it fits that bill.

Peterson's Balkan Delight is certainly lighter than this but I don't detect any Turkish in that one to make a fair comparison here. A Balkan is a fairer comparison, but this Crown Achievement is toward the heavier of the line (and not just due to Latakia).

This is my personal experience after smoking nearly a full tin which I will finish. I will age the other tins I have to bring out more mellowness, but for someone who like fuller blends this is ready to smoke now. Cool but spicy. Interesting.

Pipe Used: Dunhill 120; Northern Briar Special

Age When Smoked: New (1/14)

Purchased From: PipesandCigars

Similar Blends: Balkan Sasieni.

oldsage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldsage (2)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I've sampled this tobacco off and on through the decades. First off, it takes a practiced hand at slow smoking to bring out the best in this blend; it's not for beginners.

Ultimately, I feel that Crown Achievement is what happens when someone without an understanding of true balance undertakes the task of blending a premium English/Balkan-style mixture. Lane used the finest Orientals and Latakia they could buy in this, but not in judicious proportions. A heavy hand with the Orientals turns it a bit bitter and "woody" in character, and a lack of finesse in the selection of Virginia renders the mixture a bit sour and hot. It's reminiscent of someone who, when they first strike it rich, goes out and automatically buys the most expensive champagne and caviar. If it's that expensive, it MUST be good, right?

It takes a great deal of time, experience and training to learn how to be a master blender, especially in the range of English mixtures. I am under the impression that, rather than using a master blander, Lane just threw money at Crown Achievement.

Actually, Lane A-100, far less expensive, is a better-balanced blend, and quite good.

Crown Achievement can, however, be the basis for some successful home blending; some people add various McClelland bulk Virginias to this with excellent results. Even a 50/50 mix of Crown Achievement and Virginia still has enough Orientals and Latakia to qualify it as a "Medium to Full Balkan" -- and it's quite a bit more smokeable.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not sure what planet I've been living on but I've only recently learned that this was sold in bulk... after Lane's dropped it! I've always smoked the tinned version and my review is of a well-aged tin.

This blend is the same as I remember it from years ago, memory being what it is, of course! Very smoky tasting with a light sweetness, it has a bit of "zing" to it - a mild sharpness reminiscent of 965 but I don't find they actually taste the same. Or even similar. But the mild sharpness is there. Hard to describe but you'll know it if you're familiar with 965.

Just the right amount of latakia, which drives the blend. The light sweetness could be from the virginia and/or in combo with the various turkish tobaccos. I don't smoke a lot of latakia these days but I do plan on spreading my one tin out over time to make it last because when I'm in the mood for latakia, this blend is an excellent "go to" smoke. I recommend this if you can find it in the tin, as it seems the bulk version is different, based on the reviews below. The tinned version sings!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think OldSage review below nails it. This blend may have some high end tobaccos, but they don't seem to be blended right and its just a sour mess. It's no surprise that this blend is now gone. Boring, flat and sour. Not Recommended.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (69)

This is for the new 2014 re-launch of Crown Achievement. In all fairness it probably deserves a brand new entry and a fresh start on reviewing. I tried the bulk of this in the mid nineties if memory serves me correctly and didn't think much of it but make no mistake, this is not that.

From the first puff of the first bowl I was drawn into this blend. This greatly surprised me as I approached it without a sense of hyped anticipation. The latakia and orientals seem to play like best friends with a smooth sweetness from first light and throughout most of the bowl. The perique is subtle and adds perhaps a whiff of spice. I like this new old blend a lot and intend to add tins to each tobacco order in the future.

Pipe Used: Ashton LX billiard, Northern Briars Lrg. Poker

Age When Smoked: 1-14

This review is of the new tinned version.

This one frustrates me. It's muddled. I can get flashes of something good then it disappears as soon as it shows. No one component dominates they just show and disappear in random fashion. It also burns a bit warm regardless of the rate at which it is smoked. Can't recommend this one.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

I recall smoking CA back in the 1970s when it was allegedly the most expensive pipe tabacco on the market. My dim recollection of taste from 40 years ago was of a tobacco of strength and dense richness. So much for memory....

But, I'm delighted to see this blend re-introduced. I ordered 4 tins and have smoked through one already. I simply didn't want anything else in my pipes for a while. The new CA comes across to me as a "creamy" Oriental, by which I mean that the aged Virginia base and the mixture of Orientals blend to a balance, not favoring either. I found it a delightful smoke at any time of the day and worth a try by the doubters. Now, I'm curious to re-try some of the aged old stuff to see how it compares, assuming I could find some. CA will be a regular in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Ferndown and Castello briars.

Age When Smoked: Newly released.

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars.

Passion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Passion (28)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

My friend loves this blend. However I think it is underwhelming. Nothing works together in this blend and even the subtle undertones of the orientals taste flat. It was a chore for me to smoke, even after revisiting it months later. I'll let my friend enjoy it!

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

Definitely hard to find as it hasn't been produced in awhile. Another victim of Conwood's ownership of Lane Limited. I was fortunate enough to find some following it's demise, but not a great amount so I'll smoke it sparingly, but when I do smoke it I find it to be a real treat. Reminiscent in many respects of Dunhill 965, another blend of the past. Not too strong, not too weak, just right.

I found the blend to be spot on in moisture content, leaning more towards dry than wet. There was clearly no humectant used in this blend. Upon lighting, the Latakia makes it's presence well known and the spicy elements become apparent. However, by 1/4 way into the bowl, the spiciness subsides and the full, rich combination of tobacco imparts a smooth and tasty flavor of smokiness and mild sweetness combined. The spice is still there, but stays in the background. No goop, just white ash in the end.

I'll enjoy my sizable stash of this great blend of the past for some time to come.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

What a disappointment. I smoked Balkan Sobranie 759 and the tinned version of Crown Achievement almost exclusively for 15 years. I always found CA to be a good change of pace because of its spiciness from orientals. There was nothing else quite like it. Lane no longer makes CA in tins and the bulk version is just another English mixture that is no different from any number of other blends. Not that there is anything wrong with it, there is just nothing to distinquish it. Worth a try, but not the CA of old.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Strong

Crown Achievements- This review is from the newly released tinned CA. I have to agree with those reviews that say a new entry should be initiated for the new release as this is a different tobacco from the original or the revised blend.

My initial reaction was that this needed some time to breath and after a week the blend did improve. Unlike many of the newer reviews I thought this was a more Latakia forward blend void of all sweetness and rather than flavor, the Orientals only provided heat and harshness. I felt that this was similar to C&D's Engine 99, H&H's Ten to Midnight or Ambassador, you want to think latakia out front. Not a great room note, wife banishes me ! This was smoked in a Ozark Maple and a cob, perhaps a briar would have been better ,however, my tongue was so raw I couldn't see me smoking another bowl. One of those smokes that says, " I like the taste of licking a charcoal briquette that is void of all flavor", then you need to have this one on hand. I don't think I'll be buying more and I won't

Pipe Used: Ozark maple & Cob

Age When Smoked: 3 weeks

Similar Blends: C&D's Engine 99, H&H's Ten to Midnight or Ambassador.

Brucej67 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brucej67 (1)

This is the new blend close if not the original blend. The taste of the individual tobaccos comes through as you smoke the blend with the subtle taste of each tobacco imparting it's flavor on the palate. I find this blend soothing and enjoyable from the first puff to the last and it burns cleanly in the pipe leaving no goo or residue. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys an mild English tobacco.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph

Age When Smoked: 68

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Dunhill Elizabethan.

clifswin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clifswin (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

When Crown Achievement was dropped by LL several years ago, it wasn't my favorite, but was on my list of fallback tobaccos, when I needed a change from my regulars. As it was dropped, there were several places that put CA bulk on huge discounts, and I picked up a few pounds just to have it around and because it was a deal. Put it up in Mason jars and set it in storage, and pretty much forgot about it.

Fast forward... now six years after tinning, I cracked one last night. Oh. My. God. Delicate, complex flavors that roll over my tongue and seem to dance through my synapses. I smoked a bowl, with frequent gasps and sighs of pleasure. Then to be sure, I tried another in a different pipe. Then another in a diferent... I can't say it's the best tobacco I've ever tasted, but that's only because I can't compare directly with some older ones that are now only long-gone memories. Its burning is less than perfect; I have to relight it several times through a bowl, which is not the norm for me. As complaints go, that's my only one. Well, one other: I can't just smoke and smoke this, day in and day out, since I'd run through all of it too fast. But if you have some you put up years ago and forgot about, like I did, I'd say you have a real treat in store!

TheViking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheViking (1)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I walked into a tobacconist several days ago looking to purchase any decent type of tobacco, as I had run out on my business trip. Unfortunately what was once a respectable tobacco shop had turned into a weird kind of cyber cafe whose only selection of pipe tobaccos were the large plastic canisters that Lane's tobacco is normally sold in. I picked this mixture as it was the only one that didn't seem to be dripping with casing and humectant. To say that I didn't expect much out of this tobacco at $2.99 an ounce would be an understatement.

A day later I was pleasantly surprised. The tobacco does contain quite a few stems, and is not the easiest blend to pack. I smoked it in a BIG Nording freehand. The tobacco lit easily, and stayed lit throughout my smoke. It has acted the same on each successive smoke. I tend to get three or four smokes out of this pipe per fill. The flavor is very mild with a smoky kind of pinewood campire taste at the top of the bowl. A quarter of the way into the bowl I was surprised with a decidedly nutty flavor melding into a very light chocolate note. The further I smoked the more the nuttiness developed into an almond-like quality. It has turned out to be a surprisingly complex blend. The spiciness of the latakia weaves in and out of the food notes, bringing a pleasant bite.

I believe that this tobacco has probably been sitting on their shelf for several years, so I don't know if this is an earlier version. I do know that I will be taking a bunch back with me to cellar, and that is something that I never thought that I'd say about a bulk Lane's blend.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I've been smoking CA 100 for about 3 years now. I've had a few different Latakia blends but I still have to have this on hand. The first time I smoked a bowl of this I was like "no way in hell people can really smoke this." I didn't have it in me to throw out my 2 oz, so I just sat on it. After a year and many reviews later I decided to give it a real chance and boy was I surprised. Wether my palette changed or it just aged well I don't know, but I began to enjoy this stuff. True, it has a lot of stems that get in the way of an easy pack, but, whatever. This is my main smoke. Though I love other mixtures as well, CA 100 is cheap and easy for me to get my hands on. Anyway, if you get nothing else out of this review, let it be a lesson: Never, ever judge a tobacco on a couple of smokes and never, ever, ever through out a tobacco. Period. Trade, blend, or just sit on it. Might one day turn out to be your favorite :)

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

My review of this no longer produced blend may be a bit more flattering then some as the stash that I have is well aged, which undoubtedly makes a difference when it comes to English blends.

It's smooth, tastes great and has the perfect latakia content that stays consistent throughout the bowl. if I had to sum it up in one word, I would use the word "tasty".

No tongue bite here, just a good English smoke. It's sad that it has joined the ranks of Dunhill Nightcap bulk and nearly every other English blend distributed by Lane.

Mahardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mahardy (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

It is to my bemusement that I read the review/comment below me for I strongly remember walking out of my tobacconists with 2oz of this blend not more than three weeks ago.

The below reviews should help anyone who is in need of feed back on this blend. The only real point of this comment is to make the above statement.

jlinge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlinge (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a review that is more of a complaint since this blend has been discontinued. It was one of the last of Lane blends that contain any Latakia (such as Pure English). That's a real pity. They seem to be concentrating on excessively aromatic stuff these days and as a confirmed English blend nut I can only say---goodbye Lane! The package note was great, rich with the Virginia and the Latakia exciting the nose. The smoke was was nicely balanced and spicy, smoky notes predominated towards the end of a bowl. There was occasional bite, and the bowl finished as white ash without goop. Try Old Lodge or Squadron Leader.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

10/24/2004: I would realistically give this two and a half stars. Pretty good taste in small doses or half a bowl. Not complex like the more popular Dunhills, Butera, G.L. Pease offerings. If you were unable to get any other Latakia blend this would do for a short interval. If you had to smoke it exclusively my guess is you would eventually give up smoking entirely! I think its' relative A-100 is better than C.A. A-100 tastes only of Latakia but the A-100 Latakia is smoother than C.A. And in my searches on the internet it C.A. is not cheaper than Dunhills tobacs especially in bulk. I would much rather smoke EMP, 965, or Nitecap all of which can be purchased in bulk for a similar price. I have never had the tinned version of C.A.

Update 11/23/2006: A pretty good English if you have limited access. The Latakia is a bit harsh.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

When I first tried this blend, it was my first latakia blend, and I loved it. But after having tried many more latakia blends, it leaves me a bit disappointed. CA is not a bad tobacco, there really isn't anything wrong with it, but I feel that it is rather bland and unimpressive. For some, this is a decent value bulk tobacco and I recommend it for newbies to the latakia world, but for me it just isn't what I'm looking for.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

I bought a couple of ounces of this at a tobacco shop I go to every now and then. I was just beginning to experiment with Latakia at the time and I found it to be very enjoyable. I remember keeping the bag on my nightstand by the bed and the rich smell of this tobacco making me feel comfortable on a cold night. I can even remember huffing the bag more than once just to take in the smell. Since then I have moved on to many fancy tins and higher priced blends but I must say that I would buy this again. I do remember very hateful comments from my wife when I smoked this in the house , so I smoked it in the van on the way to and from work. But she didn?t mind the bag by the bed. If there were an English potpourri this may just be it. Writing this review is actually making me miss this blend, I may just have to pick a few ounces up next time I go by the cigar store !

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)

After finishing off a 2-ounce sample of Crown Achievement, I find that I like it, but perhaps not as much as I wanted to. CA is sold in bulk at a very reasonable price, and at my tobacconist's, is dispensed from a classy porcelain jar. The jar aroma is amazingly enticing; it smells almost good enough to eat, rich, spicy and smoky. The tobacco seemed dry enough, but the first few bowls I smoked were nearly impossible to light, rather like trying to set fire to a glass of water. Letting the tobacco dry out for a few days helped considerably, though Crown Achievement still required more relights than most mixtures I've tried. While the jar aroma promised a full, rich smoke, CA didn't quite live up to that promise. As noted in other reviews, there is a similarity to Dunhill My Mixture 965, though CA isn't as strong or as full-flavored. Yet, CA doesn't come across as "965 Lite." Its flavor is mild, but complex, a blending of dark chocolate, spices and smoke. The flavor intensifies a bit at mid-bowl, but still lacks the richness of blends like Dunhill Nightcap or Gawith's Squadron Leader. The room note is pleasant, as is the sidestream smoke; while not a traditonal aromatic scent, it's one that less militant non-smokers should be able to tolerate, and tobacco-friendly folks will likely appreciate. On the whole, Crown Acheivement is a pleasant smoke, a good choice when something a bit milder and less potent is called for, not a bad choice for a morning smoke. It's one I'll smoke from time to time, providing it's still available (other reviews have noted that it may be discontinued).

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a copycat blend that has been around for awhile. Both times I've bought it, I was trying to help a guy out - you know, the friendly sort trying to make a go of it in a BM tobac. Both times, it was presented as a more reasonably priced Red Rapparee. The only problem is that it is nothing like RR. If I ever smoke stable hay, then maybe this is the preview. For the past year, I've been playing with my supply of CA, adding both Latakias, Orientals and some dark Virginias with moderate success. For the most part, it continues to taste like a cheap cigar. Maybe the mold will take the matter out of my hands.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an SMS Smooth Panel Bent

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

Lane seems to have a ton of critics, and that's understandable. This is mass market tobacco that aims to sell, not satisfy the quirks of picky pipers. It's always a riot reading their blend descriptions. Really, I had no idea "Crown Achievement" was the product of the rarest, most costly strands of tobacco leaf. I'm sorry, Dubac and Mahalla, you say?

All insults aside, this is a pretty decent English mixture for the price. It smokes cool, has a ton of flavor, and can easily stand its own against some of the higher priced English blends. Yeah, I'd buy this again, but the opportunity may well be on a downward slide.

I recently read a snippet that Lane is discontinuing this blend. That comes as a surprise to me, because I would imagine this to be a popular product. I guess they're finally starting to run out of that rarest of rare leaf. Wonder what kind of replacement Lane's brewing up. Lemme think: "Twenty Seven as of yet developed strains of precious Tobaccos grown on the fine plains of the lost Atlantis.." I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

3.0 of 4.0

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This was almost as highly regarded by me as some of the Dunhills up until my last few purchases of 2 ounces at a time. It seems the most recent batches across our great nation have not been aged long enough. There are times when I taste a fine tobacco fusion, but overall, I get the burnt cardboard effect. This was once a 3-star for me, but has declined due to inconsistency. The tobaccos just do not seem to be married well together in this new age version of C.A. LL A-100 has taken the old Crown Achievement spot in my Lane's English pecking order. That's pretty sad, considering A-100 is more of a beginners English. Not to mention, any Lane English is really just there to satisfy a quick fix when a premium is not available.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a typical bulk Latakia blend. The leaf is of decent quality, but nothing special. Lots of stems in with the tobacco leaf, and there was some sort of casing to leave the blend moist for a long time--perhaps years. This is similar, but not nearly as elegant as the lamented tinned version that you see pop up on Ebay from time to time.

The taste has been dummied down a bit from the more high class Latakia blends out there, but for the price--hey, who is arguing?

I prefer to spend a little more coin for a little classier blend. But, if you're watching your pennies and enjoy Latakia, well, here you go.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

To me this is one of the best English Mixtures on the market as far as quality-price ratio. It's tasty, full, it keeps the flavour for the entire bowl. These days when many historical blends have worsened, this is something you can always rely on. Another good point is that it smells so wonderful it's almost better to have someone around you smokin' it than to smoke it yourself! It's a fine all-day smoke, but pay attention with the packing which can be a little tricky, due to the mixed cut.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)

The currently available version of Crown Achievement isn't the same as the tobacco I smoked years ago. I know.... "duh"... but seriously, this has turned from a tasty English/Balkan blend into Lane's version of Frog Morton.

There is nothing wrong with the current offering. It's a mild english with some casing/cavendish included that should appeal to the smoker looking for a light, aromatic latakia blend.

As for the Mahalla and Dubec tobaccos in this blend, there may be one ounce of each in a 25 lb batch...

Like Frog Morton, I have no problem with CA and if I had to choose between Cherry Blend or Crown Achievement/Frog Morton then I'd be smoking CA/FM. Stack CA up against Presbyterian Mixture/London Mixture/Samarra/Margate.. no comparison.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Update September 2004:

My stash of this is almost gone after sampling it for over a year. I am now aging about eight ounces and this makes my regular rotation. I am upgrading my rating to three stars.

I smoke CA when I want something of a traditional, stronger English that approaches a Balkan. With age, the sour, acrid notes have gone. Burning qualities are good.

Where I itch, CA scratches. Keep some around for yourself.

___________ CA is nothing special, yet not to be avoided. Somewhat acrid and sour at times and not very complex, but it is unmistakably Latakia laden.

The Virginia component keeps it from being overwhelmingly pungent and sour. Sweetness does not describe this blend.

It does seem difficult to keep lit, but finishes dry enough. No bites on this tongue. Dunhill's 965 seems rounder, sweeter and creamy compared to CA.

I will try it now and then, but when it is gone, I will not be running out to restock. If aging changes the profile for me, I will update.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I received a little bag with a sample of this (enough for 6-7 bowls) by Maurizio Tombari when I bought one of his extremely fine Le Nuvole pipes. It's a nice English Mixture, medium in strength and flavor. The balancing between the various tobaccos is fine, and the Latakia is not overpowering. The smell of the unburnt tobacco is very good and tasty, and the smoke exhibits a great softness and roundness. I usually prefer stronger, tastier stuff, but this could be a very fine all-day smoke. Appearance: long fine shreds, like in some of Dunhill's blends. Burns rather nice, not wet.

I actually liked this blend,so here goes:

This comes in bulk only these days, so there is no tin to open. I didn't smell any flavoring, but there is definitely a humectant in this.

Appearance: Medium ribbon cut, black, brown, mohagany, and yellow leaf abounds.

Moisture: Actually, not too moist, considering the humectant that is present.

Lighting: Easily, with two lights typical.

Flavor: To me, this is a refinement of 965. Just the right amount of cavendish, not cloyingly sweet like 965. A nice interplay of leaf with the Dubec giving a nice counterpoint to the cavendish. The latakia is there mainly as a condiment. The VA is there only for support. Mid-bowl flavor is smooth, round, and enjoyable. Bottom third gets a little more intense with a little Perique making its prescence known. Ash is mottled and dry, the only moisture was in the shank and a pipecleaner took care of that. When you smell the pipe-cleaner, then you really can smell the humectant.

Overall: this is a good replacement for 965 IMO. It has less nicotine, a smoother flavor and is cheaper.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Points. Enjoy.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I wonder who recognizes this as the worlds most outstanding smoking mixture as indicated in lanes description? I certainly would disagree with that statement! A friend of mine gave me a tin of this and I was eagerly waiting to try this because of the description. I also figured that if it was somehow corolated with Charatan Crown achievement pipes made in the lane era than this must be special. This just did not stand out with me in its genre. The only thing that stood out to me was the description and the name. Give it to lane for good marketing! While it is not bad it is definately not great. There are many other blends in this genre that I would rather smoke. I will not give this the lowest rating because if it was given to me I may smoke it while working in the garage or something. This is way to average for me to pay for when there are many other blends in this genre that are better.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Yuck!!! This is not my kind of tobacco at all. This stuff is some of the wettest smoking crud I have ever put into my pipe. My wife bought an ounce of this stuff at the local tobacco shop to go with a new pipe and a tin of Royal Yacht that she knew I wanted to try. The owner recommended this and IQ when she asked for some good samples. I know this guy but he didn't know she was my wife. I'm at a loss as to why he would recommend it. Perhaps he is trying to cut down on his customer base. Why do tobacconists even carry this crap is beyond me, but I have to assume that someone buys it. I'm going to have to have a talk with him! In his defense all she told him was that I liked English Tobaccos. The tobacco started out a little like 965 in that it was definitely English with some sort of cased cavendish added to it. I wasn't to bad through the first third of the bowl if a little boring. Through the second third however, it got extremely sour and bitter. This is the first tobacco that I couldn't even finish. When I went to empty out my bowl I found the problem. The remaining dreck in my pipe was nothing but a slimy ball of ash and wet tobacco. This might be alright if dried out, but I'm not sure I want to wait for ten years for the glycol to wear off. I personally don't think this tobacco is worth the effort. FWIW this stuff was sold under the generic name of English Oriental. Be on the look out and beware!!!!!

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I had heard much about this blend, and the manufacturer?s description, as well as the name, seemed rather enticing. I ordered 4 Oz. On opening the zip-lock plastic bag I was taken in by quite a strong aroma, rich, darkly sweet and pungent, as of a sediment of unsweetened dark chocolate, and dried plums and figs, in musky earth. Slightly moist, visually it re-minded me of the Balkan Sobranie, with a sweeter note to it.

I though I was in for a Brahams or Bruckner kind of experience. When I lit the pipe my first reaction was one of surprise. This really is not a full strength blend, and it is not entirely an English, at least not in the way I am used to. Not bad, but oddly stuffy. I couldn?t help per-ceiving a faint resemblance both to Dunhill?s 965 (a tobacco I am smoking much of again) and Astley?s 99. But where these two offer an intense and deep diversity of flavors, Crown Achievement seemed stifled. I don?t know if the many elements that go into CA are unable to truly mix, or if the mixture is designed in such a way that one is meant not to perceive them in delicate interplay but as one big blast of a dark, bitter concoction.

To put it mildly: seldom have I been so quickly bored by an allegedly diverse mixture. You get the first big notes, thinking this is going to be a hell of a symphony, only to find that the ensuing music (or taste) is frankly cacophonous. It just keeps on discordantly repeating itself and, IMO, does not take you anywhere. A tobacco of circular taste, this maybe some-thing a less adventurous palate might enjoy. One can think of that statue next to Michelan-gelo?s David at the Piazza della Signoria, in Florence: big, but with no grace or subtlety.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium None Detected Full Unnoticeable

Well, this from a novice pipe stoker (20 pipes with a stash of 30 or so blends in the larder) I seem to have stumbled onto either an old tin or a new tin (if Lane doesn't make this in the tin anymore, as noted above) I found recently as a single in a local small shop. Whatever the "vintage" I find the tin version very enjoyable. Pungent. Very English. Very Oriental. Tickles my nose in the pouch. Packs and lights very well and burns nicely in a new Tomas Spanu 200C Rusticated 1/4 bent medium size. Some time ago I picked up a few ounces of the bulk version on the recommendation of a good blender in a high end shop locally and was disappointed (looks to be coarser in cut and not as "fresh")...this however is a delight, though does not take to being relit after sitting.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

In appearance, this looks like a well balanced English blend. There are a full range of colors to the mixture. The pouch aroma, however, is different from my usual English Latakia-Oriental blends. There might be some aromatic addition. The first few puffs lead me to believe that this is going to be a good inexpensive blend that I could fit into my rotation. After the first few puffs, the blend falls apart on me. It turns into a strange mixture that switches from a good English to a ?. I don't know what. It just keeps fading in an out for me. I have tried this a good dozen times, yet I have never finished a bowl. It does not satisfy me. On the plus side, it does not bite. There are plenty of superior blends to smoke, for both the experienced smoker and/or a new pipester.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a mottled blend of latakia, bright virginia, and turkish. The initial taste is sweet, which turns to a sour, citrus-like flavor before settling down after the first ¼-1/3 of a bowl to a spicy just-there-it-ness. There is a background (sometimes front note) that reminds me of Vanilla that I don?t quite care for. This, overall, needs some more complexity to be enjoyable on a regular basis. (5/2002)

dgifford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dgifford (8)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Strong

A decent English-type blend. There seems to be a glycerin casing as well as a slight vanilla casing to the cavendish. There is a great variation to the cut as well. The tobacco burns rather wet and can impart a musty after odor to a briar. I enjoyed it in the beginning, however after a few sessions, I would not make this a regular.