From P&C's website: Captain Black has been the biggest selling line of tobaccos in the United States for almost fifty years, and this one is the original. Captain Black Regular is a mixture of Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish with a distinctively warm, pleasantly sweet flavor and aroma.

BrandLane Limited

2.4
Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

All pipe smokers have to try this one at least once. And I mean ONCE. From the pouch the initial smell was nice but not in a natural way. Take a deep sniff and you will easily detect the chemicals. The tobacco (if it really is tobacco)was very moist and sticky, as expected.

It burns hot and tastes like burnt cardboard that was dipped in anti-freeze, a nasty smoky sickly sweet taste if you will. The room note is the same very sweet. Its pure poison if you ask me. Blah!!!!!!!! It also funked up my pipe.

After about half way down the bowl I dumped it out and tossed the pouch into the BBQ. You should have seen the flames!!! Crazy!

drgonzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drgonzo (2)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The captain sailed back into my life after a long and not much maligned absence. Its nice to know in such a chaotic world that some things remain everlasting. Indeed the Captain is just as vicious of tongue and tastelessly boring as that girl I knew in college. A true bedrock of banality filled with not but regret and remorse.

There are only three reasons to smoke this blend; 1.You bought it and feel bad now that you spent so much on it and are obliged to finish what you started 2. You want OTHER people to enjoy the smell of your pipe and not ask you to smoke outside whilst you suffer in dumb agony wondering if you'll ever taste anything ever again. 3. Your into self degradation and have found this blend as key to expanding your choice of self flagellation.

There is no flavor worth commenting on. There is no Nicotine worth commenting on. The only way to enjoy this smoke is to cut it 50/50 with something that adds some kick and flavor and to use you nose to try and squeeze something of value from the vapid grey smoke.

The Captain will however teach you (with the alacrity of a cruel schoolmaster) to smoke 'cold molasses' slowly as you must remove yourself from all distraction and turn you full faculty to regulating your draw and burn temp such that you avoid suffering confusion as to whether you're enjoying your evening smoke or have in reality grabbed the business end of an acetylene torch.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: OTC

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Lots of vanilla and a little honey are the flavors that stand out. I never really got much nuttiness from the burley though I have noticed a little grassiness from the Virginia. The black cavendish is infused with a moderately deep vanilla. A bit of PG keeps this tobacco moist. Has a mild nic-hit. It can get harsh and bitey if you puff fast, so a slow cadence is recommended. Requires few relights. Leaves too much moisture in the bowl, and slow puffing will reduce the chance of goop. The flavor is mostly consistent. It smells great and back in the days of smoking in public, you could get a date smoking this brand because women love it. A decent beginner's aromatic.

Wes.B.Greer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wes.B.Greer (2)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Say what you will (and I know you will) Captain Black Regular is about as stable as your going to get when "large scale" aromatics come into play. Seriously guys, after all the bellyaching and whining I've heard (read) concerning this lowly and trusty tobacco, you'd think it was made by some company in China using the worst products available. But from my experience (4 bowls tonight while sitting on the front porch with my wife) I'm seriously considering ordering a 12oz can for me to keep in my study. This isn't some "Chemically Laden", "Vomit Inducing" tobacco that many pipe smokers would lead you to believe it is.

Captain Black Regular is exactly what everyone knows it to be, a pleasant aromatic with light strength and an aromatic room note that will please the most sensitive nosed passersby. It's not trying to be a complex and detailed tobacco harkening back to the days of old tavern smoking and high dollar drams of scotch. It's a drug store tobacco, don't try to make it something it's not. Easiest way for me explain it is as follows: When I want to have a beer with a friend at the pub, and all I want is something that will satisfy my tastes, I'll most likely grab a cheep beer and enjoy my conversation not thinking twice about the drink I'm partaking in. Why(?), because I came to enjoy the company of my friend, not critique and rate the beer on its malt content or the percentage and type of hops used to craft the drink in my hand. I wanted to taste beer, so I got a beer. On the contrary, when I get a flight of beer or go to a beer tasting, I'll tell my friends to shut up and focus on actually tasting the beer in hand. When I want a to smoke a bowl of tobacco and tinker with fixing my lawnmower or repair the tail light on my car, I don't want to smoke something that demands to be studied.....I want something I can just "smoke" and not think too much about. That's the way I see Captain Black Regular, it's always there, it's always faithful and it should be seen for what it is.....a light smoking, pleasant smelling tobacco that's not meant to be taken too seriously. (Chances are, if your reading this and getting hot in the head, you should probably try not taking yourself too seriously for starters.....)

Pipe Used: SMS Premium - Quarter-bent COACHMAN

Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Okay, the best thing you can say about this blend is that it's a babe magnet. Women fall all over themselves trying to get their hands on the man smoking Captain Black. I guess in that regard alone, this may be one of the finest blends ever bestowed upon mankind. (-;

But, on the other hand, I am already married to a beautiful woman (she even likes the smell of latakia, can't get any more beautiful than that), so, I can forego this blend.

Is there a pipesmoker who has not tried Captain Black? It is mild, tastes like vanilla flavored prunes and will not bite no matter how hard you puff. It stays lit well, and is even cheap enough for Jack Benny. If I am out and about and find myself without any quality leaf for my pipe, I don't mind taking the Captain for a cruise...as long as it's a short one.

cm74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cm74 (3)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm still new to pipe smoking, so I'm trying out several different blends to see what I like. Captain Black Regular was one of the blends I saw recommended for beginners. so I gave it a shot. To my unrefined palate, it tastes a little like Lane 1-Q, but with less vanilla flavoring. It also left a really chemical, almost plastic-like flavor in my mouth, even stronger after I finished the bowl. I'm eating Altoids like candy to cover over the aftertaste. I'm either going to give away or throw away the rest of the pouch.

It did smell really nice in the pouch, though.

Pipe Used: MO Meerschaum Pony Express

Age When Smoked: Received <1 week ago

Purchased From: cigarandpipe.com

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (34)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Unnoticeable

An American friend suggested I try this as a change from my usual non-aromatic English/Balkan and Virginia blends. He smokes aromatics and swears by it.

I was a little wary, because I've always disliked aromatics, but gave it a try.

What can I say? It's "tobacco" for people who don't like tobacco. It's like the "aromas" you can get for the "electronic pipes" that produce a mist of nicotine and assorted chemical-laden fake flavours, only without the nicotine or flavouring. If this were music it would be played in elevators.

Quite pointless.

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

The fabled Captain, an elemental spirit of destruction- this was the guy piloting the Exxon Valdeez after downing a case of Meister Brau, both products which are ironically chiefly bought at gas stations.

To start. I imagine this is probably the best selling tobacco at least in America and Canada and possibly Europe, and if nothing else it is the most widely available. It was my first pouch and often seems recommended to new pipers. Why did I buy it? It was the only thing available. I also fell for its own labeling extolling its virtues. I also knew it smelled good. At least that part is true, unfortunately you, as the smoker, are working the other end of the pipe.

So, I issue a small craft advisory to new pipers. Avoid this stuff, stay in port. There are several major problems with this. First, it is a soupy mess and it smokes wet as hell. It will goop up your pipe. No doubt when I tried this technique was a huge part of those problems, but the product pushes you to it. Two, there is little flavor and little nicotine and as such you're going to lean hard into. Three, you now have a wet smoke made worse by its feableness, and you will have your tongue severely bitten by the captain's ill-tempered, featherless, and ancient macaw. It is not a forgiving blend. These three factors are a horrible combination for someone that's learning to smoke a pipe and should be the last blend that is first offered. As to the taste, what is there is quite sweet but it tastes of high fructose corn syrup. Imagine smoking Karo. The chemical odors and tastes are prominent. The room note is appreciated by those around you, but you're not smoking for their enjoyment.

This blend turned me off to pipes for about 10 years. Even the mention of cavendish in a blend still raises warning flags for me even though I know they come in a variety of styles, some of which aren't delivery materials for chemicals and sauces,and some of which are of outstanding quality. I would suggest another OTC blend that actually has some tobacco taste, is sweet, is softly aromatic, burns well, and is relatively available to a first-timer. Find Prince Albert in a can and let him out. Is that a 4 star product? No, but it's not garbage and you can begin learning how to smoke and build some appreciation of the art.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Ziehm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ziehm (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

For all of those that call this a terrible smoke with a taste of cardboard and on and on and on, I say you lack the palate to back up your griping. I am an avid fan of G. L. Pease and Mac Baren tobaccos. I smoke Mac Baren's 7 Seas Royal Blend as my every day smoke and am a fan of all types of Virginia blends, my favorite is probably the straight Virginia No1 from Mac Baren. Having said this Captain Black Regular is in my pipe every morning with my first cup of coffee. It is a quality aromatic with just the right touch of virginia and nicotine for the first smoke of the morning. This tobacco in an expensive tin would get rave reviews from you tobacco snobs out there. It's not complex, it's not intriguing, it's not mysterious, it is a straight forward, well blended, consistent smoke and should have a place in all educated pipe smoking aficionados rotation.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Careys

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is called a drug store tobacco, but most drug stores do not sell tobacco like this any more. And, that is the problem. When you first open the pouch there is a smell of some vanilla and some Burley and Cavendish. It packs well and lights well. It is very simple and offers a mild, gentle, and aromatic smoke. Just pack and light. No need to over think this one. It is kind of like an aromatic bowl of Prince Albert. It smells a whole lot better and is Cavendish to the core. I only say that, like the Prince, it is a reliable friend and makes no demands of you. The flavor remains consistent throughout the bowl. The ash is nice and jumps out of the pipe on the first or second knock. The problem I mentioned above is that this type of tobacco sold great when a guy would wonder in and need a pouch of something while the wife shopped or to take to the game and not offend the crowd around him. I had to buy this online and that puts it up against a lot of brands and blends that are comparable in price and characteristics. E. A. Carey's Crystal comes to mind. I am not sure that tobaccos like this will do well in a tight market like this. This is particularly true then those that remember buying it at their local drug store pass on and the younger generations only know fancy tobacco shop blends or online bulks. I truly hope I am wrong.

Pipe Used: Corn cob, church warden

Similar Blends: E. A. Carey's Crystal, Ted's Pipe Shoppe (Tulsa, OK) Casa Blanca.

Dottie Warden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dottie Warden (22)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

As this is one of the most reviewed and renowned pipe tobaccos on the market, the best review would be your own. IMHO, everything that can be said about this product has a ring of truth to it. It's the best at what it is and the worst at what it isn't. Fact: This is one of, if not the most, popular pipe tobaccos available. Fiction: If it's so popular, it must be good. If you are a discerning pipe smoker in search of a quality tobacco product, I wouldn't waste my time on this one. Conversely, if you want a tasty, ready to go, widely available, consistently reliabale, affordable smoke you can light up and enjoy this might be just the ticket. A burger at Mickey D's can't be compared to a backyard burger off the BBQ: and it was never meant to. On the go, a fast food burger can really hit the spot, but if you're willing to fetch the coal, load up the BBQ and take the time required to get the temperature just right and mix some groung steak with all your favorite spices you'll be well rewarded for your efforts. Captain Black Regular is what it is, love it or hate it. Yeah I'll put some in my pipe from time to time, but I certainly wouldn't compare it to the wonderful array of exotic blends on the market today. If you are in the mood for some no fuss, no muss American aromatic OTC, this will do the trick, otherwise look elsewhere.

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

This isn't as bad as borkum riff... but other than that I have nothing positive to say. how this is consistently recommended is completely beyond me.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco deserves much more respect and appreciation! Maybe it's snobbery, maybe it's just people who don't like smoking aromatic pipe tobacco, idk why this tobacco gets rated so poorly!! If you urchase Captain Black White be aware you're grabbing a full-grown, sauced aromatic - but one of the better ones out there!

Now THIS is the taste and smell of "Pipe tobacco" as I'm thinking of it, when a old man was sitting next to you smoking his pipe. I do like that this tobacco has some tradition and was probably smoked by my/your grandfathers and even their grandfathers ;-) Back in the days, there weren't 10.000+ blends - there were 5-6 blends, that was it. (At least I got told so) People smoked this, enjoyed, and loved this blend for decades.

Now to the review: The tobacco smells great. A sweet nutty smell it gives, paired with a whiff of vanilla I can smell. It reminds me (almost) exactly of the smell of "Down by the River" by 4noggins (which btw. has execllent reviews......and its 99% the same smell and taste...) From the pouch you can clearly say "this is an aromatic" - but its a good one, with pleasant flavour!

Easy to pack, easy to light, easy to enjoy! The taste is somewhat like a sweet nut flavour. Caramel-ish. A bit of Vanilla in the back, but only very decently to me. Also by imes I get a strong, but tasty licorice taste, which is 100% like real licorice. But this flavour only pops out by times, sadly!

The tobacco gives it a bit of spice, which makes this a very delightful blend. I love this sweet, very nutty flavour, it is almost the same as "Down by the River" by 4noggins - but even more refined. Captain Black has just got more soul to it, at least I think so.

The nicotine isn't weak at all and much stronger than with most aromatics. So I personally love smoking this in the morning, to get my N-Addiction satisfied - AND enjoy a excellent aroma. Usually I used to smoke 1 cigarette in the morning, because a pipe diddnt serve my addiction. But this one is just perfect for that. Good taste, good nicotine - literally a "all-day-every-day"-smoke.

It has soul, a refined taste and it has a history to it. The room note is excellent and is just what everybody thinks of, when thinking of "a pipe smoker".

All in all a 4/4 blend to me, and I'm not really a aromatic-enthusiast. But this one has got me. Love it.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow rusticated (Cherry)

Similar Blends: 4noggins - Down by The River.

W. Carter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
W. Carter (6)

Let me first start out i'm not a snooty pipe smoker and I have smoked cigs for 30+ years so my palette is probably burnt out. :) I also think a big mac is pretty dam good. So you can see i'm not high falutin. That all being said I think CB White is an enjoyable blend. It has a nice aroma and enjoyable vanilla taste as you sip on your pipe. It is mild and burns good. The first half of the bowl is the best losing the vanilla taste on the bottom half. So if your just a down to earth pipe smoker give it a try.

Pipe Used: grabow bent

Age When Smoked: 59

Purchased From: local tobacco store

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (45)

This is the tobacco that started it all. I was pretty much a pipe smoker before I could even talk clearly. My dad smoked Captain Black for 20 years before stopping all together. They say children don't develop a good memory until around the age of 4. Considering I have 2 boys of my own and was a young boy at one time, I call that bullshit because at the age of 2 I remember my dad smoking a pipe and how it smell. I just loved it.

Now my dad only new pipe smoking as in the only tobacco was what was sold on shelf. Captain Black, Prince Albert, Sir Walter and Middleton Apple. That was all he new and Captain being the main stay and all the rest as being a tie over. Hell he never even has heard of anything that I've even smoked.

It doesn't have a wow factor for flavor. My dad didn't smoke for flavor but for nicotine and aroma but he still loved it.

I have some on hand but don't smoke it often. I had some CB dark also that is similar but didn't care for by itself so I mixed it with the original and it kind of improved the original.

I give it a high recommendation not because of it being the best of the best because there is a lot better out there, but because of the memories it gave me growing up. I'll never forget it.

noreastpipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noreastpipeman (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I like this a lot.This is like the band ABBA.No one admits to liking this or even had smoked it but they have sold millions of records(Yea ,I'm old)for decades.You can find this everywhere,smell it everywhere.It is exactly what it says it is.Mild,full vanilla,soft on the pallet(to me).This is a tobacco with loads of flavor, not just flavored air. One match light.Anyone with a sweet tooth will be rewarded with a dessert type smoke.You will need to use pipe cleaners during your smoke and a good pipe cleaning is necessary afterward.Dedicate a pipe for this tobacco.It flies in a corncob.It is not intended for your Dunhill or grade 19 Nording,but that is up to you.It's funny,most people think that this is a summertime smoke,and thats fine,but I tend to smoke this inside in the winter.(My wife ,son & cats love it) and I take my strongest tobacco outside in the summer(read:Latakia)I could'nt smoke this all the time but I do find it"s delicious,smells great and even though the nic level is low,very satisfying.Newbees & vets should appreciate this aromatic. I like ABBA too.

Pipe Used: corncob, Dr. Grabow bent freehand

Age When Smoked: from the pouch

greggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greggles (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I've dabbled in cigars for a decent amount of time and decided to try pipes. I got this and Borkum Riff to try out a pipe. This is less offensive than the Borkum Riff, in fact its not really much of anything.

Being used to cigars I expected some flavor, there isn't much to speak of. Now granted, I'm still learning the ropes of pipe smoking. I feel like each time I smoke I'm getting better at tamping and lighting. It just seems this is so mild I need something with more kick.

This smells wonderful, and it's something to puff on while I search for a tastier tobacco.

It's great for learning. It's not expensive either, so if you're trying to learn the pipe basics and want to do it on the cheap without being offended, try this. But know there's always a tastier leaf out there.

Purchased From: Puff Smoke, Saline, Mi, USA, (734) 316-2691

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I had to try this classic aromatic. The Black Cavendish is the ''dominant'' flavor for half of the smoke with some chemical casing that wants to be vanilla. After a while, the chemical enhancement is the only thing that I draw from my pipe. This is the moment I quit wasting my time and reach for a better mixture. I am sorry to say that not even nostalgia, as I smoked this tobacco 20 years ago, could save it from the one star rating. It was a sample from a fellow pipe smoker who now wants to get rid of it. I took it as a comic relief experience after trying so many amazing mixtures. I needed a reminder that pipe smoking is a privilege in these days of political correctness.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I did not care for CBW. It was extremely moist and burned hot producing tongue scorching steam. And for as sweet as it smelled in the pouch it had next to no flavor but it did have a pretty good room note. At twice the price ($8.00) of other better OTC blends I will not be purchasing again.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This has got to be the goopiest, tongue-bitiest, PG-ist, nastiest aromatic tobacco ever. I like when people smoke this around me. Room note is fantastic. But the smokers themselves have got to be masochists. New smokers, for the love of God, try an aromatic from Boswell, C&D, McClelland, Lane. Anything but this chemical soup. See my other reviews for some aromatics that even a non- aro guy can appreciate. This stuff is junk-weed. I question as to whether it contains any actual tobacco, or is the pipe version of sheet tobacco. Get some 1Q. Throw this stuff in the fire.

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - LL-7.

I have resisted reviewing this, because I have never really liked it, and my grandmother told me "If you don't have anything nice to say..." I decided maybe it was time.

It comes a little moist and takes an eternity to dry out any. It is mostly black in appearance and has a strong vanilla note in the pouch.

The smoking experience is one that is uneventful, and there is not much tobacco in the flavor. It is easy to overpack due to the moisture, and it requires a relight or two. I get a burnt marshmallow flavor and am told the room note is a pleasant vanilla. It has a fairly sweet taste with a chemical note to me, and I get the musty flavor I often get with black cavendish. The flavor is a little thin to me.

In terms of things to recommend it, you can find it almost anywhere that has OTC tobacco in stock. It seems to sell well.

On the negative side, there is the flavor. It also ghosts pipes, and sometimes you get an estate with a persistent vanilla ghost that endures. You can still catch a whiff of CB at the end of a bowl after a couple of pouches of Carter Hall or SWR.

It is hard to rate this, but for my palate it is a 1 really. The only way I can finish a pouch is to mix it with something to tone down the flavor and give it a little body.

DaddyKevin13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaddyKevin13 (1)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black, was the pipe tobacco smoked by real men. Like our Fathers and Grandfathers and salty Uncles. Men who chopped cords of wood all day, took our Scout Troop camping or canoeing, taught us how to hunt, tie knots, build fires, in a phrase... be MEN. They weren't Lords or Dukes from England wearing panty hose and ruffled shirts and powdered wigs.

The Captain is common. It's average. It's a known quantity. It's not something a tobacco mad scientist cooked up with 10 different ingredients. And those around you don't wretch with nausea. It's mild, pleasant, and smokes cool and consistent. It's a drug store tobacco. It's a great beginner tobacco.

But, reading the reviews on here, a lot of people are "better than us." Snobs, spoiled, privileged, or at least want others to think so.

Everything sucks, right snobs? Vinyl records suck, right? Because now there's MP3's and streaming music on your smartphone!! And cigarettes suck because there's e-cigs where you can crank the Nicotine content through the roof and blast a cloud of vapor that used to only come from the stacks on a textile factory. Wood stoves suck because now there's central heat/AC with digital thermostats. And cameras and computers suck because your smartphone does it all with mobile Internet and a 12MP camera.

There's a reason that Captain Black has been around this long, and it's NOT because it SUCKS! Things that SUCK don't survive in the marketplace; Yugos, Teddy Ruxpins, Hayden Christensen, etc..

But everyone is entitled to their opinion, if yours is that CB sucks, then don't buy it. Apparently enough people still do for it to remain in business after all these years.

Pipe Used: Carey Full Bent

Purchased From: Food Lion

Aro Lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aro Lover (13)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

For the life of me, I have no idea why this tobacco is so popular, nor why it is usually the recommended tobacco to new pipe smokers. Dare I even call this chemical goop 'tobacco'? It's very wet. Totally drenched in PG preservative. No amount of drying will revive it. And there's no tobacco taste. Instead, you'll get an artificial burnt-cardboard-dipped-in-marshmallows flavor. Blah. Also, it burns the mouth badly. Plus it has a horrible artificial/chemical aftertaste that took me 24 hours to get rid of. The only positive point is that the room note is nice. But that alone is not enough to save this infernal concoction. This so-called tobacco has probably turned off and driven away more new pipe smokers than any other blend in the history of pipe smoking. On top of all this, it's not even cheap. Others who smoked it back in the day claim CBW is not the same blend from the 1970s and 1980s (which was supposedly much better). I guess it's just another sign of the times- artificial, shallow, trendy, over-hyped, and flashy. As another reviewer said, you might as well stick a marshmallow in your pipe and smoke it. That would be a cheaper and safer alternative. Stay far, far away from this one if you know what's good for you. I strongly recommend Mac Baren's natural, smooth and tasty Seven Seas Regular instead. You'll thank me later.

Pipe Used: Bent briar

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Seven Seas Regular (Highly Recommended).

Clinthulhu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clinthulhu (8)

I'm going to come right out and say that this is one of those tobaccos people like to make fun of or give the impression they are "better than" in some way. Is Captain Black the greatest pipe tobacco in the world? No... Is it a master blend of flavor and quality? No... Is it a tobacco you can buy in the same store you buy couch syrup, band aids and deodorant? Yes... So for those who have given Captain Black bad reviews because they somehow feel like they are the only one telling the Emperor he isn't wearing clothes, I got news for you... You aren't telling us anything new. It's a (OTC) drugstore pipe tobacco, I wasn't expecting it to be the most fantastic tobacco I ever smoked for the same reason I don't expect a Big Mac to be the most incredible burger I've ever eaten in my life.

Now for the rest of us... Captain Black Regular was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked. It's a classic and even if it isn't the greatest tobacco in the world I enjoy a pouch of it from time to time. Whenever I meet someone who is interested in pipe smoking I usually point them in the direction of Captain Black or Half and Half.

1. It's available just about everywhere. 2. Most people like the smell. 3. Once you get the hang of it you won't burn your mouth. 4. If you don't like it your only out a few bucks.

Trying to put Captain Black up against "high quality" pipe tobaccos from companies like Cornell & Diehl or Hearth & Home isn't exactly a fair comparison. It's like putting a Chevy Aveo up against a Dodge Viper... Yeah they are both cars but one is built to get you back and forth to work... the other is built to make you feel better about getting old... I will let you pick which is which. So if you are looking for a high quality tobacco with subtle complexities and hints of this or that... I wouldn't go with Captain Black. If you are looking for a classic "Pipe" smoke that smells the way you remember pipe smoke smelling when you were a kid. Bingo this is it!

At the end of the day Captain Black is a pipe tobacco that most people have fond memories of. You may have moved on and found better blends of higher quality tobaccos but you shouldn't look down on your humble beginnings. It might not be an everyday smoke. It might be a little fake tasting now that you know better. It might be your guilty pleasure from time to time. But for a pipe tobacco that doesn't claim to be anything other than a pipe tobacco it's fantastic for what it is. Personally I think it's great in a Cob around a camp fire drinking a few beers.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch

Purchased From: Cheap Tobacco

Similar Blends: Every OTC aromatic in the known universe..

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (25)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Fact: I only smoke aromatics & I have only been smoking a pipe a few years, but I have smoked cigars & cigarettes, & chewed tobacco so I know some things about baccy

Fact: You can't flavor bad tobacco & make it taste good

Fact: I got this wild hair & went into a Cigarette store, waited in line behind a weird guy, then bought a pouch of this for $10 (the cost plus tax & .50 to use a debit card) its not cheap OTC it was expensive BTB (behind the bongs)

Opinion: I love this stuff, its not too flavored, lights & smokes great, room note is very nice and no lingering Burley effects like you smoked a cigarette

Opinion: I think people who negatively review this, but really don't even smoke this type of tobacco are trolling, all Captain Black blends aren't good, but this is a fine go to blend

Opinion: You can't flavor tobacco without consequences you have to compromise something - in other words if you over flavor tobacco you get blends that are sticky, hard to light, hot burning steam etc. If you back off the additives & flavorings just enough, you can really enjoy the taste of the tobacco & have a solid aroma

Pipe Used: Country Gentleman & Briar Freehand

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Some shady strip mall vapor-head store

Splat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Splat (4)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I love the taste of chemicals in the morning. Tastes like.....crap.

I bought this on a lark. There was maybe one or two puffs that were enjoyable but the rest was intolerable. Obviously I'm never buying this again. Wet disgustingness which will leave a gooey mess in the bottom of your favorite pipe. Don't__do__it.

Pipe Used: Grabow, Falcon

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I don't know why so many people knock Captain Black tobaccos. I rather like them, and I think extra points should be given for price and availability. The overall quality is better than most people judge. I don't smoke the cherry, but I do smoke the White, Royal and Gold. Of these Royal suits my taste best - it's a little more refined than White with a slightly deeper tobacco taste and less vanilla topping. However the White Regular is also a good smoke with a stronger vanilla aroma and slightly less obvious tobacco taste than Royal. Overall a very nice aromatic smoke, more complex and higher quality than most people judge. I like it and always have a supply in my cupboard. Smokes nicely in my Big Ben which has a slightly wider bore and therefore easy airflow. No wetness. Burns down to a nice clean ash.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)
Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Ok first off the Captain Black available today shouldn't even be considered. Many new to pipe smoking grab a pouch of this and say yuck ! There was a time when the Captain sailed, pre 1986 Captain Black was quite different v than the present one. It was exceptionally good back when it was sold in solid metal cans with the little pry lever built onto the can. I smoked this back in 1979 to about 1984 and it was different then, it was good ! The ratio of black to Burley was more Even. The black had a smooth velvety feel to it, it looked pretty in the tin. The smell was rum and vanilla evenly, and it was sweet and zesty, actually tasted good ! It was so nice and I heard the earlier pre 80s version was even better ! It's a shame newbies co guy lent smoke it the q at it used to be. There are tobacconist that will make the old version or close to it. I have a local guy near me who blends it himself using all stokebye tobacco and no Lane slop. It is as close as I remember to the old blend, fresh, sweet, colorful in contrast, cool, no bite, rum and vanilla flavor. As for the new stuff it is cardboard soaked in vanilla ! The new stuff is not even rateable!

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This is absolute S#@T !! In the world of pipe tobaccos available why would anybody smoke this stuff? It will burn your tongue to death, it tastes like pure chemicals, and its expensive! If your considering buying this stuff don't! Do yourself a favor and call Boswell's Pipes and Tobacco and get yourself some real pipe tobacco.

Age When Smoked: new, just opened

Purchased From: local drug store

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (35)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my very first tobacco (as it seems it has been for many new pipe smokers). I've been smoking a pipe for just two months. I have to say, if I had to start all over again, I wouldn't select this brand.

I'm confused by all the rave reviews of this tobacco, mind you, I am aware that this is all quite subjective. To each his own...

I've gone back to it (mostly because I don't want to waste tobacco) and I have to say, it's no better. It lights ok, burns unevenly, has a bit of a bite for sure and no one around me expresses any favourable review of the aroma. And its expensive. Well, relative to others.

Unremarkable at best.

Apologies to the veteran smokers from a true beginner.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Like for many others, this was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked, nearly 20 years ago now.

A lot of people on here seem to be having some problems understanding this blend. Gentleman - you're not going into this expecting a premium, hand crafted pipe tobacco. Some people are acting like they were expecting an 18 year old Macallan, but got Johnny Walker Red instead. The trick with this tobacco is to accept it for what it is.

All of that said though, I still enjoy this from time to time, simply because I don't have high expectations for it, nostalgia, and the incredible room note. Really, the room note is superb. No one will ever complain when you are smoking this. In fact, they will probably come up to you simply to get a better smell of what you're smoking.

It doesn't offer a lot of nicotine, but the flavor is pretty nice. The vanilla is not too artificial (I've had much, much worse) or sickly sweet. I think the balance here is pretty great to be honest. I think this is exactly what the blenders were going for and they've accomplished that - a wonderful smelling tobacco which is easy to smoke, easy to maintain, and easy to enjoy. And despite being pretty moist out of the pouch, it's not a blend that really bites, either.

Sometimes you just want a greasy, $4 burger. This is exactly that. It's not a gourmet offering and it was never meant to be. And while I do love my Dunhill's, Solani's and Gawith blends, I just don't look at this the same way. Captain Black White is like an old friend, one which I don't visit or talk to very often, but when I do, it's like we've never parted, and we pick up right where we left off.

Some reviewers make this out to be some horrific blend but it really isn't. I mean, if you want a really horrific blend, just grab a pouch of Borkum Riff Whiskey. Compared to that, Captain Black White is like a work of high art. So just take it for what it is and enjoy. It's a classic in its own right.

Pipe Used: Various, mostly cobs

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Lane Limited - Captain Black Regular (white).

I'd wanted to smoke this ever since I saw a guy reviewing it on YouTube, but with the U.K. being how it is with tobacco choices, limited to say the least, I had to wait. I finally stumbled across it on Smokingpipes.com, and as they do delivery here to me, I ordered a pouch.

I couldn't remember if this was or wasn't an aromatic, but the pouch-note soon cleared that up. It makes it easy to identify the flavouring: vanilla. The pouch isn't factory sealed, the lids folded and secured with a little piece of tape, ergo, it's been able to breathe so it isn't too damp.

Now, this seems to have had a bit of a slaughtering from many reviewers, but each to there own. Me? Well I'm in the three star camp, it's not worth four, but firmly worth three. The tobacco flavour that comes over initially is the black Cavendish, this, obviously, is heightened by the vanilla. As well as the vanilla there's also a detectible added honey sweetness, and a very slight dark fruitiness. To me, the best way to picture this is like Captain Black Dark, but cleaner tasting and a LOT less sticky! The tobacco flavours seem quite constant throughout: black Cav' in pole position, Burley second, and the Virginia last.

The nicotine's really mild, and the room-note's superb!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meer' Claw

ringo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ringo (15)

Wet sweet American style aromatic. Initially I liked the taste but after several smokes I started being overwhelmed and having a burnt mouth. The taste is vanila and chocolate. I think this kind of tobacco can ruin your pipes.

Pipe Used: prince apple

Purchased From: local tobacconist

glenn2586 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
glenn2586 (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is very good. My can aged for maybe 9 months. Not sure if that helped it. To me it's full of flavor with no bite at all. It needs to be broken up before smoking. Highly recomended.

Pipe Used: all different ones.

Purchased From: jr cigars

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (26)

I am very surprised to see all of that bad reviews of the Captain. This is not some fancy blend, but its been around a long time and is not going anywhere. It is a built mild for my taste, but remains in my rotation next to the more fancy overpriced tins of tobacco. The smell in the pouch is marvelous and this is one of the best flavored aromatics I have smoked and can be found just about anywhere. To all those that have negative reviews, your palette must be far different than mine.

Pipe Used: Medico Conqueor

Age When Smoked: out of the pouch

Purchased From: local store

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Update 11/25/15. After bad experiences with Paladin, as well as the awful Captain Black little cigars I tried when I was 18ish, I swore off drugstore blends. Then I read the reviews on this site. I first tried this in 2010. It is an vanilla aromatic with various tobaccos used and delivers a nutty and vanilla room aroma. It has a high nicotine content and highly recommended for someone who wants to quit cigarettes. Not recommended as a beginner's blend for the same reason. It will color a meerschaum within a few years.

Note: It must be bought fresh or it will sour quickly.

I originally gave this 4 stars. However, I found PA and can actually taste the PG in aromatics now. I haven't been able to go back to aromatics since, even though I smoked them for 16 years. I smoked this particular blend for 5 years until my eyes were opened.

Pipe Used: Meershaum, Kaywoodie Dublin, Basket Billiard

Purchased From: Rite Aid, Ingles

Waldorf Salad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Waldorf Salad (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm new to pipe smoking and thought I should give such a popular and mild tobacco a try. The pouch note was nice, a combination of vanilla and mild tobacco. It lingered in the pack I carry every day and was a pleasant reminder that I had the stuff with me and might get to try it soon. I must be getting better at packing and lighting as this was the first bowl of anything that stayed lit for a good while, even very moist right out of the bag. But this is also the first time my Peterson System gurgled. I thought easy burning and liquid buildup wouldn't go together, but again I'm new. The smoke itself was mild in strength and flavor, but just tasted like a fancy cigarette, if that's a thing. I don't know what flavor I want; I just know I don't want a cigarette. The room note was not good according to my wife and I agree based on what I smelled coming straight out of the bowl. On the plus side, I got no tongue bite, which has been an ongoing problem as I learn how to manage my pipe. So a Not Recommended from me. If you want to try the $1 special I keep seeing, you can't go wrong. I wouldn't pay the $10 I did at Walgreen's again. Cheers

Pipe Used: Peterson System

Age When Smoked: 3 months from purchase

Purchased From: Walgreen's

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I cannot believe I have not reviewed the Captain. This is actually a very good blend in that it has a great aroma and topping, was very innovative when it first came out and I do believe a very good beginners smoke. Where it fails is the over the top use of humectants but if I was going to sit on a shelf for years and years I would need a little help too but the PG really beats your mouth up. I much prefer RLP-6 which is the same ingredients and topping but without the PG additive. If I had nothing else or had a coupon for a dollar pouch, then sure I'd take a ride with the Captain but I have 1Q and RLP-6 so why waste my time and hurt my mouth? :-) Wives and girlfriends love it, everyone carries it and a lot of people started on it. So three stars for the good aspects..

BTW a 1.5 ounce pouch is $8.99 at Walgreens now, very expensive compared to lets say Peter Stokkeybe bulk which is a much higher grade IMO.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Dr Grabow

Age When Smoked: Gosh who knows

Purchased From: Everywhere

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - RLP-6, Mac Baren - 7 Seas Regular Blend.

Rev. Avery Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Avery (9)

Honestly,

I find this the blend I enjoy the most. I've smoked from low end to high end as far as reviews go and if on a desert island I'd want this along.

Perhaps my tastes are different from most but I have no complaints. This consistently satisfies me ... and I guess in the end that's all that matters :-)

Rev. Avery

Pipe Used: Natural corn cob

Age When Smoked: Tub

peterpiper111 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peterpiper111 (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'm new to pipe smoking. Of all the brands sold at the drug store, Captain Black seems to be the best smoke I've tried.

I tried other blends and brands, captain seems to take it home for me. I do have issues keeping it lit, but once its burning, the flavor is similar to a sweet, spicy flavor that is extremely pleasant. I could sniff this smoke all day long. Funny thing is, a girl I know hates tobacco smoke altogether, and I just met her tonight and she said I smelled really good. I smoked captain in the car.

Needless to say, the stuff could be made into cologne. You smell like a real man while you smoke captain...seriously. I like the mild taste, pleasant aroma, and overall recommend this tobacco to anyone trying pipe smoking for the first time. Needless to say, yes, there are many better brands out there. On a budget, this stuff is the best you can buy from a standard gas station/tobacco shop.

Age When Smoked: Brand New

Purchased From: Tobacco Outlet

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Ahh, Captain Black white. Is there anything more iconic? This is the Marlboro reds of the pipe smoking world. Say what you want about this tobacco, but I must say that any product that has been around for as long as CBW has, and can still be found in damn near every grocery and drug store you come across has to have some redeeming quality. You can call this tobacco terrible all you want, but I am sure there are many tobacco companies and blenders out their who would be tickled to have half the success this blend has.

I am mainly a Vaper smoker. Occasionally I veer from that path, and honestly I will smoke just about anything. Over this holiday season I received two coupons in the mail. One for Captain Black pouches and one for Borkhum Riff. Neither tobaccos are anywhere near my good list, but the coupon allowed for a pouch for only $1 dollar. Living in Vermont our tobacco tax is 91% (yes you read that right). That puts a pouch of Captain black at about $12.99. For $1 I just could not pass it up, and I have to admit the whole thing was nostalgically fun.

The success of CBW is not from in the pipe it is from out of the pipe. The taste, eh, nothing really. The smells both in the pouch and in the room, oh my! Talk about a crowd pleaser!

The cut is ok, it packed well. It stayed lit well. It did not bite my tongue which I was a little surprised at, but I did approach it as a drug store aromatic so I smoke accordingly.

It did seem to leave some goo in the heel of the pipe but that is par for the course in this type of concoction.

Everybody has to try it. You are not a pipe smoker if you have not smoked CBW. If you have not, get off your high horse and check out this staple in tobacciana.

Pipe Used: Designer Berlin Sandblasted

Age When Smoked: Off the shelf new

Purchased From: Kinney Drugs

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)

A nice, inoffensive aromatic. One of my favorite go-to blends when I am in a pinch. Inexpensive, mild, easy to smoke with a nice room note. The vanilla topping is noticeable in the pouch and at the match, but are not excessive. Flavor stays with you almost through the entire bowl. Nothing really outstanding about it, but nothing bad either. Probably the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked, and is still readily available everywhere.

Pipe Used: Cob, briar, meerschaum

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (24)

It's funny how CB has been around for so long and nobody claims to smoke it. Yeah right. It's not my go to, must have tobacco but EVERYBODY has it in their rotation at one time or another. CB is like self gratification: nobody talks about it but everybody does it;)

amirnader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amirnader (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Is is one of my favorites. The tobacco smells nice in the pouch. But the taste and smell of the smoke is just great. It burns evenly with a good temperature. It also bites my tongue a little.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

4 stars because despite its cheap price, this tobacco is simply good. Milder than other expensive aromatics like Sweet Vanilla, but it also costs half the price! The White pouch has nothing to share with some danish or vanilla-flavoured blends: flavour is wonderful, and taste too. The only defect is : too mild. But hey, it makes it also an all day smoke for the same reason. It will not ruin your pipe, leaving no strange aromas in there. Well done, Captain.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (23)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

When I was 14 one day I visit my father friend's, one of them smoke his pipe and room full of very pleasure smell, I keep it in my mind and after 21 years today for the first time I smoke it :) same aromatic and affection Tasty, very delicious, and so pleasant relaxation I LOve It :) You Should try it one time at your life

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)

Well, I finally tried it. I suppose every pipe smoker must try it sooner or later. And now I can readily understand its iconic status: easy to pack, easy to light, stays lit without problem, has a pleasant room note, and gives off easy billows of accessible, pleasant, nondescript vanilla-ish smoke, with only an inoffensive hint of chemicals. (Or, in a less generous mood, as Countrygent puts it, "Think supermarket cupcakes; sweet, vanilla, burnt marshmallow, yellow spongecake somewhat cloying aftertaste. And about the same lack of character with overly-dominant, aspertame-like chemical notes.") I can see why it's considered a terrific "beginner's" tobacco. Basically, it wasn't bad at all.

I suppose there are good reasons why it's endured for so long: it's the quintessential, easy, inexpensive, decent blend that would make for a fine all-day tobacco for those who just want to smoke on auto-pilot without any fuss. A lot of people listen to nothing but top 40s radio, watch nothing but Hollywood movies, and drink nothing but Budweiser or table wines. It's a comfort(able) smoke for those lucky souls who don't have a desire to delve further into more refined pleasures, and that's just fine. (After all, the quest, once embarked upon, though fun, becomes interminable and expensive. How much simpler it would be to forego all that!)

As agentlemanfromindiana says, "Despite some of the review on here, it really is a pretty decent tobacco, aka its not great or awful." Ordinarily I'd rate this as a solid two star smoke, but, given its context, it warrants three stars. (Ie: you don't use the same scale to rate your son's wonderful recital performance of Für Elise as you would, say, Alfred Brendel's.)

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Should have reviewed this a long time ago. Have been smoking it for about 2 years and it has become one of my go-to baccys when I can't decide what to smoke today.

CBW comes in about perfect moisture content for smoking which, combined with a nice cut, makes it easy to pack and light. Good quality tobacco with no sticks or too many 'fines'. No problem lighting or keeping lit, smokes cool, no bite, no surprises. Leaves a slightly grainy dark grey ash with no bad after odor or taste in the pipe or mouth. Only thing that keeps it from a perfect score is a strong taste that starts building up near the bottom of the bowl.

Although this has no outstanding uniqueness, it is very friendly. Can't really call it an aromatic, Balkan, Oriental or English. Somewhat reminiscent of Carter Hall which I have learned to like a lot.

Will always keep this on hand in quantity since it seems to mellow with age. Also highly recommend it for beginners

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What can i say, this is a real bowl of happiness for me, i love this stuff and smoke it all day. The room note is terrific, the taste is velvet smooth and quite sweet. The perfect smoke all the time.If Lane LTD ever discontiues this like so many other of my favourites, i think id put down the pipe for good.

Charmander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charmander (6)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wanted to note that the description above should be "Rich black cavendish and mellowed burleys, exceptionally mild, delightfully aromatic".

Guys, I'd have to say that this tobacco is exactly what it claims to be. I am becoming more fond of this blend - and I used to make fun of it. I initially bought some when I was close to being financially broke and couldn't really afford anything else. Also,it was so available. At the time I just smoked it down without thinking much about it. Then I tried it about 6 months later and I'm just really surprised at how much I like it. I'm a guy who loves the English blends. Some of my favorites are Nightcap, 965, Early Morning Pipe, and Frog Morton on the Bayou for reference. I'm also fond of Virginias including Marlin Flake and I like Pease's Stratford etc. What's my point, well, I don't make fun of Captain Black anymore. I like it. It has its place in the rotation and when I smoke it, I really find that it is a refreshing switch from the more introspective English blends and the pure Virginias. I don't find that Captain Black gums up my pipe or anything like what many folks report. Let the bag air out a bit. Also, smoke it a bit slower,and swab the deck if you have to!

Everyone likes a donut or a pastry every now and then. Thats what the Captain is for me,and with no calories. I actually wouldn't mind buying a whole coffee can size of the stuff to have on hand and to let it age a bit. Dudes, sometimes quality can lurk right out in the open at your local drug store. Enjoy! But don't be ashamed of the Captain! The stock I'm finding around here is high quality.

Ok guys, what I want to know is how many of you sent away for the "helmsman" pipe advertised on the inside cover?! (was it any good.....?)

Mild Very Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This stuff has far to much vanilla glycol! The Captain got it righ with the royal blue package- he really needs to stick with it. Why smoke this when the blue tastes way better? I tried this because I liked the blue and found out that other than attracting ladies in heat it was better to stick with the royal which does a fine job all on its own!

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don?t think there is any relatively young pipe smoker out there who has not at one point tried either Captain Black White, Lane?s 1Q,Borkum Riff Bourbon, Clan or Gold Block (if English)/Prince Albert (if American). Of these rather common and easily obtainable blends, I believe Captain Black is perhaps the most popular and in many ways the best one, although Prince Albert should be set aside in the sense it is one of the few non aromatic drug store blends. In reading the previous reviews I get the feeling that most of my fellow smokers express a legitimate nostalgia regarding this blend. I couldn?t agree more. Many a pipe smoker owes CBW his/her initial acquaintance with what is properly defined as a ?gentle art? rather than a habit or vice. The abundance of chunky vanilla flavoured Black Cavendish, with ribbon cut brown and light Burleys has become something of a classic. Not difficult to pack, though it may take some time before actually get it going, and virtually bite free, this mild to medium strength smoke is truly satisfying and pleasant. Most non smokers (or at least non pipe smokers) readily accept CBW as "the" traditional pipe aroma, to the point that some friends once told me I should quit smoking that ?cheap? stuff (referring to My Mixture 965), and go back to what they called the ?classy and elegant? CBW. With all of the above reviews I definitely recommend this either as a beginner?s tobacco or else as a nice, now and then change of pace, especially if in the need to please one?s company.

BronxBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BronxBriar (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Have to reconsider the review below. In 1980 CB White was my first pipe tobacco in my very first pipe. I was 20 years old. Now that I'm 50 I find myself returning to that good old standby that never seems to disappoint. A great first tobacco, and one to return to on those cold fall and winter days.....

--------------------------------------------------------------- Perfect tobacco to introduce someone to pipe-smoking. Smoked it for three years straight when I only knew one other pipe smoker and didn't know better.

That powerful vanilla aroma brings back memories but as the taste buds mature it becomes something difficult to return to with any regularity.

A convenient and decent alternative if you're on the road and run out of your good stuff.

Leonidas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leonidas (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

From what i can tell through searching many blends in tobaccoreviews, this has to be one of the most conrovertial. As a natural outcome, many will disagree with my opinion, mind though, its just an opinion.

Tin note is indeed chemical. No way to identify the origins of the smell. Glucose is all i can relate it with. Burns hot like the devil itself. Tongue bite is unavoidable even through sipping. Its an one way to hell for your tongue if you are inexperienced. The taste is mild. Nothing fancy, nothing overpowering. Only plus is that it is unique. Many say it tastes like vanilla but i disagree. Its a sweet taste like marshmellows or frosting or whatever, i cant put my finger on it, all i can say for sure is that it is sweet. Since it is a cavedish based blend, not much tobaccoiness going on here. All i can taste is the sweet artificial frosting. This tastes nothing like pipe tobacco.

Room note is its biggest advandage. The wife is in love with this blend, so use this in times of arguments and you will end up cuddling in bed like nothing ever happened. It is also an interesting way to approach the female sex, cause trust me, they cannot resist the sweet smell of this daredevil.

Overall i would not recommend it to begginers. This is not a tobacco that represents the pipe tobacco category. I would not recommend it even to an experienced smoker. Its an artificial blend which should only be used once in a while, to satisfy your wife, but definetely not your palate.

I give this one and a half stars. The half star is a courtesy of my wife.

Pipe Used: Capitol Bruyere

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Tobacco Shop Thessaloniki

Similar Blends: Its unique, i will give it that.

Gigmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigmaster (2)

Since McLelland is gone, along with my beloved Frog Morton, I figured everything else is just tobacco, so in protest, I figured I would just go cheap and easy. I got a big surprise.

I was very depressed over the loss of the Frog, and was not expecting much, especially from a grocery store. But when I opened the pouch, a wonderful aroma of vanilla and molasses greeted my olfactory. The tobacco was just about right, moisture-wise, and appeared to be a mixture of burley, a little lemon Virginia, and Green River Black Cavendish. It is a cube-cut, so I figured it would burn nice and cool, which it did. It packed easily, and the stems were minimal.

It lit very easily and once it settled down, I was treated to a nice, almost creamy mouthfeel, and the taste was of burly, a hint of Virginia, and the wonderful sweetness of the molasses-like black Cavendish. The top-notes were of vanilla, pecans, and sweet, but not too sweet molasses. It smoked smooth, with no bite, never tried to go out, and absolutely no tongue-bite whatsoever. My wife said the room-note was incredible...as good as Sutliff Vanilla Custard, which is exquisite. It burned all the way to the bottom, to a fine grey ash with very little dottle, and never any gurgling, or goop.

I can understand why this is the #1 selling pipe tobacco in the US. I've never been fond of Aros before, but that may change. I can easily see this being an all-day smoke. And the best part is that it is available just about anywhere tobacco is sold, and relatively inexpensive. I still miss the Frog, but maybe the Captain can help me get over it.....

Seriously, for the price, and the availability, this is a great tobacco. I am ashamed I've never tried it before. Better late than never, I guess....

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Age When Smoked: New from the local grocery store.

Purchased From: Ingles Grocery Store

Similar Blends: Sutliff Vanilla Custard.

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (40)

These fake pipe smokers that leave these bogus reviews like "when I put my nose in the bag I smelled the chemicals" what chemicals? There is no chemicals besides alittle a glycerin or maybe a small amount of PG but this blend is a high grade pipe tobacco with high grade tobaccos. People have been smoking this blend for years and years and its not one of the best selling pipe tobaccos in the world for no reason. For the beginner pipe smoker its a perfect blend to start off with, then there's the seasoned pipe smoker like myself who have been smoking this blend for years and still loving it. Funny thing is I think Lanes RLP is pretty dang close to this one and I love that one to but back to Captain Black this whole yuppy new schooler mostly amateur highly immature this is a OTC crappy drug store saturated with chemicals gross tasting nonsense and I mean total bull nonsense this pipe tobacco blend is awesome and super smooth, it taste wonderful and don't be fooled by these no nothing fools the burley and cavendish mixtures with bright Virginia ribbons topped with a sweet vanilla giving off a almost nouget flavor but not to sweet letting the tobacco taste shine. When you smell the bag what you really get is a sweet tobacco smell with a hint of raisins and chocolate and a light vanilla smell with NO chemical anything, that's just the cool poser yuppy thing to say cause monkey see monkey do or in this case say. I can assure you this is one heck of a smoke and is very satisfying in taste and quality. Most pipe smokers enjoy Captain Black they may not smoke it all the time but for alot of us it out first smoke and I do come back to it over and over. The only complaint I have with Captain Black is over the years the price has gone way over the top here in Idaho $9.50 a 1.5oz. bag ouch!!! But when I get my coupons I go buy a few bags. If you never smoked Captain black I recommend the white pouch, gold pouch or royal for the original blends then feel free of course to try there newer lines, now I dont care for there other stuff but those three blends are very good in there own unique ways and a suggestion I can make as well is to try Lanes HGL if you like this blend but also like latakia, HGL will float your boat. I highly recommend Captain Black white pouch it truly is a all American classic pipe tobacco that is really good and worth trying. Ignore those reviews about chemicals and that OTC drug store smack!!!

The Goop that Pooped by:Christopher

I bought some Captain Black you see But the chemicals were to much for me I fell over and grew a new eye All that goop I wanted to die

I smoked and smoked till I could stands no more A drug or grocery a special OTC store I traveled far I traveled long But the chemicals were far to strong

My pipe was new it was very clean It had a shine a star like gleam That Captain Black with all its goop With a life of its own IT took a poop

Oh me oh boy my poor pipe has died That jerk on tobaccoreview totally lied That goop it pooped all in my pipe Now my bowl like a litter box is awful and ripe

Ripe like Ammonia or something from a nuke That awful goop that took a duke Captain Black OTC chemical wait I'm not a poet But reading this crap you would never know it

Lol!!! God bless all you pipe smokers, take care of yourselves and have a good day!!! Thanks for reading my review...

Pipe Used: Peterson CnS Pipes Corn Cobs

Age When Smoked: 39

Purchased From: Big Smoke CDA

Similar Blends: Lanes RLP-6.

rafalgdansk87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rafalgdansk87 (12)
Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

Great aroma. Altough it's vanilla aroma, it isn't oversweetened, due to some cured fruits notes, which gives nice balance. It's quite wet but acceptable. It is also well accepted by non-smoking people in surrounding. I would give 4 stars if it would be a bit more dry and better burning.

Pipe Used: Chacom Bent

Joe O'Brien Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe O'Brien (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Compelled by some strange siren to take up the craft of pipery, I have enlisted as a cabin boy in the service of Captain Black, that salty seaman. I packed only the corn cob pipe my late father had left behind that fateful morning, and set off to ply the angry seas.

I tell you, friends, that a week past I did not know the difference between a Dublin and a Diplomat, and thought Burley and Cavendish were some English lawyers. Having endured both the depredations and the tender ministrations of the Captain, I feel I am, at least, a little wiser.

When we were at sea, the Captain presented to me a plain white pouch, proffered with a knowing look. The leaf within looked and smelled enchanting to a young man raised on tales of swashbuckling and naval derring-do. Moist, with the aroma of vanilla and raisins, and perhaps old books. A comforting scent. The leaf was golden, it was dark brown, it was the color of high seas adventure. I greedily accepted.

When first I reached into the Captain's stash, I packed it but lightly, and burned it hot. Many's the seasoned sailor who laughed at my scorched tongue and bewildered look. Through trial and error, I discovered the virtues of packing tighter - but not too tight! - and the saving grace of the tamp. I learned of lights both false and true, and charred that leaf with the dexterity and precision of some Bavarian docktor.

In short, friends, I believed myself the captain's equal. A short week of working the cob and packing the leaf had filled me with a false confidence. I took shore leave at Carter Hall, and felt myself the master of all domains. But once more upon the seas, I learned that my confidence and my mastery had been left upon the shore.

I was ready for the billowing gales that blew through the Missouri Meerschaum. I slowed my rhythms, I managed the burning heat. But 'pon the wind came a sweet smell, and in my mouth I perceived the taste of some foul chemicals. Had some knave filled my pouch with that pinkish concoction they call "sweet and low?"

I confess I am but a greenhorn still, and no able captain nor even a bosun's mate. But this muddy mixture of Black's, while containing some pleasant aromas, still contains traps for unwary navigator. I found myself unable to reconcile its sweet aroma with a flavor that hid a bitter, chemickal taste within its breast, as a treacherous whore might hide a knife, the better to relieve some poor cabin boy of his loot.

When the waves subsided, I contented myself with a mild, pleasant taste of tobacko. But the memory of the gales, and that sweetness, shall forever mark me. I have endured the rough and sometimes unspeakable initiation of the dread Captain. I shall hoist my cob in my calloused hands having learned the hard lessons of the seas, and join that fraternity of men who earned their scars, and their smoke, honestly.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Purchased From: Local head shop.

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (16)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

My fresh supply of BCA is still a few days away, and I was whiling away a bit of time in a local convenience store, and noticed that they had a few tobaccos on hand. Having never tried CBW, I succumed to the experimentation genie, and bought a pouch.

It was dry enough, and had a pleasant bag note, which came through as a mild vanilla upon lighting up. Contrary to some reviews, I got no bite, and it was cool enough in the bowl, with a nice room note. But, that's where it ends. There's just little taste to it, IMO. It wasn't objectionable, just bland, with almost zero tobacco taste. Mixing iwth a bit of Russ' Old Glory improved it somewhat, but took most of the punch out of ROG. Next was a 50/50 mix with Lane 1Q, which improved it a bit...enough for me to even keep around for some further mixing attempts. At least it won't go to waste. However, if CBW appeals to you, I'd say go for BCA, for a much richer vanilla taste, and at less cost, frankly. Even if you are new to piping, and like the reviews on CBW, you'll probably still find BCA preferable.

Just two stars. It's not bin-bound from the jump, but I wouldn't buy it again, for my tastes, which definitely do lean toward aromatics. I'm very glad that I landed on BCA and a BCA/1Q 50/50 mix as one of my regular choices. Guess I'll just have to go camp out near the mail box this week, and wait for the "BCA delivery gnome" to arrive.

Pipe Used: Aristocob Kolonel

Purchased From: OTC

JohnJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnJ (2)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I tried Captain Black (White) after decades of trying various other pipe tobacco's. It was the very first pipe tobacco I tried when I purchased my first pipe and I smoked it until I became a "serious" pipe smoker who wouldn't be caught dead smoking a "drug store" tobacco like Captain Black. Recently while purchasing a can of lighter fluid I saw a pouch of Captain Black (white) and decided to try it again on a whim. I was surprised.

I've read the reviews on here which are mostly negative. Very negative. But I guess I'm now getting old enough that I don't particularly give a damn what the majority think and I'll join the minority ranks of those on here who admit that they actually (gasp!) LIKE it! I like the taste, the room note, how it burns, and in short, I think it is a very good tobacco. It has no bite and I like the kind of sweet taste of it. I like a good cigar when I'm in the mood, I like a good English, and I like a good aromatic, and this is a good aromatic. Would I want a steady diet of it? Of course not, but I wouldn't want a steady diet of any of my tobacco's, just like I don't just smoke one type of cigar.

My advice is try it and don't be ashamed of it. Smoke what you like. I've long since given up on deciphering every bit of taste and nose from a glass of wine and now just simply drink- and enjoy- what I like; I'll leave the tasting notes to others. I like Captain Black and that's that and I regret all of these years/decades of avoiding it. If it isn't' "complex" enough for you...oh well... smoke something else. But like I said, I was pleasantly surprised trying it again.

Age When Smoked: 59

Purchased From: Tabacco shop

Similar Blends: Tinder Box Chartwell.

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (87)

Not bad tobacco. Mildly flavored, without tongue bite, very easy to smoke, can be all day... Will buy again, sometimes everyone needs an easy smoke. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Corn cobs

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Local drug store

mayor91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mayor91 (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm not really sure what all the hate directed toward this venerable old blend is for. Is it complex? No. Is it the greatest tobacco the world has ever seen? No. Is it a good aromatic? YES! In fact, I would say it is one of my favorite aromatics. I'm not much for aromatic tobacco, but I do occasionally like them and I always keep it on hand along with some "proprietary blends" that I own and the pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic that I keep for nostalgia's sake (it is my grandfather's sole blend). So yeah, I like non-aromatics and LOVE a good, stout English blend, but sometimes, the Captain is calling.

So to the review part, post-rant. I really enjoy a nice vanilla topping, but I also want to taste tobacco. CBW does just that. The Virginia and Burley really is in harmony with the Cavendish in this blend rather than acting in the role of chorus girls. It actually tastes like tobacco with a soft vanilla flavoring. I definitely prefer it to straight Cavendish, which smells fantastic but doesn't do much besides make me crave a cupcake.

Aroma is fantastic, as one would expect. I can't really speak to "room note" so to speak as I smoke exclusively outdoors, but I can't imagine anyone disliking this smell. It is THE classic American aromatic for a reason.

Aesthetically speaking, great billows of smoke. Beautiful, almost shiny white that I just love to watch. Along the same lines as Carter Hall in the smoke texture department, which should be read as high praise. Sometimes I smoke just to watch the smoke, in which case I will grab for CBW or Carter Hall, although my mouth enjoys CBW a little better.

As far as heat, it does tend to get a little on the warm side, so be careful of that. However, as if by magic, it does NOT bite. I'm not sure how this happens. I tend to be a freight train when I'm puffing and I never have a problem getting tongue bite.

Finally, it stays lit with very little effort, while also giving a good 20-25 minutes of smoking pleasure. It burns down all the way with some maintenance to a fine grey ash.

So in the end, I would definitely recommend it to my friends and neighbors, especially if they just want a break from heavier stuff.

Score: Solid 3.5. Not quite a four but superior to a three.

Happy Puffing!

Pipe Used: Wessex Bristol (Dublin Shape)

Age When Smoked: Not Cellared (It doesn't last that long!)

Purchased From: A Variety of Places

Similar Blends: The Country Squire Tobacconist - Cherokee , Lane Limited - 1-Q.

taima Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
taima (12)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

The Captain -- he's easy to find, but you can always do better. Syrupy, flat, invites gurgling, and burns the tongue. The only positive is that it smells nice.

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (27)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I want express that those who rag on this blend must do it out of ignorance. This is the top selling pipe tobacco in America for a very good reason. It is one of the best aromatic to tobaccos out there. I personally like the burley black cavendish with a vanilla note to it. It's mild and cool with good flavor. You never get bit by it. One of the tobaccos I keep stocked up on. The room note is great too. Probably the best room note of any pipe tobacco on the market. If you are looking for a nicotine kick this might not be for you.

Pipe Used: Big ben bent billard also old country gent

Purchased From: Drug store

Hunor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunor (8)

I am new to Captain Black, never tried it before. I decided to write a review because I guess it could be helpful to others. I wanted something light, for a day's first smoke. CB Regular is ok for this purpose. It's black cavendish and burley, so it can be nice in the morning, I thought. Still haven't decided if I will keep it in my rotation. Here's why. As I opened the pouch I smelled black raisins. The first smoke tasted like black raisins as well, and it reminded me of something. I soon realized, it reminds me of the Italian tobaccos cased with vine (vine tartar to be exact): Cellini and DaVinci. Fruity, a bit sweet - it's nice at the beginning. It also loses most of it's taste after the first quarter of the bowl, just like the Italians, but without the bite and the acidy feeling they leave behind. It just becomes somewhat dim. It's not bad though. But it's nothing very special either. Can be a nice everyday smoke for those who like it, I can imagine a friendship. But I'm not sure it will work for me on a long term.

Similar Blends: Cellini, DaVinci.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Usually pipe smokers start out with a cheap pipe and drug store tobacco such is the branding of Captain Black and then work their way up to the good stuff. However, my pipe origins happens to be a VERY strange anomaly as I started out with a fine pipe and smoked only the good stuff working my way down to the chemical dime-store variety. Since it's creation over 50 years ago, I just may be the last piper to try Captain Black original and if I'm not and you care to hear an honest review from a pipe connoisseur and re-formed tobacco snob, read on.

First, having read all previous reviews I had a prejudice against the brand and sailing with the Captain was not a high priority but since the company sent me a coupon to cover the cost of a pouch I climbed aboard. IM GLAD I DID. I think this tobacco gets a bad wrap! Read on.

The smell was divine. To this day no tobacco can compete with this room note. The fragrance puts the honeys in a trance. It was old school and like nothing I've smelled before. Even if you close the pouch the spirit of the Captain fills whatever room you're in. Next, a nice rich cavendish sprinkled throughout with brighter burley got me intrigued. So according to the reviews that's where this love affair ends. I loaded a nice little hang jaw kaywoodie #16 and lit er up. I was tickled at the flavor and how easy it smoked. I also enjoyed that nice room note filling my garage as a I read the new Pipes and Cigars catalog I just got through the mail. I was surprisingly tickled and genuinely surprised. Can you taste the chemicals? Yes, a small amount but not as bad as people let on. The flavor profile is actually quite nice with a taste of sweetness. The only knock I have is it's very mild, I wish I could have bit more bottom to it. There is no tongue bite even when you push it. I've tasted worse tobacco and thats from high dollar bacca from big brand names. The Captain is worth taking a cruise. Millions of pipers over 50 years can't be wrong. There's a reason the Captain is still sailing after all these years, and I found out why. Glad I did.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie 16 and corn cob

JackalMike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackalMike (7)

First review...

Long-time cigarette smoker who decided that he wanted something more than a nic fix. I have only recently taken up serious pipe smoking. So I don't have a great deal of experience with different tobaccos and pipes.

I bought this on a whim. It isn't anything I would write home about. The pouch and room note are nice. But upon smoking it I noticed no discernable tobacco flavor. Just a sweet vanilla taste that left a film coating in my mouth. I can only assume the mouth film is from PG/humectants. Not much in the way of nicotine, at least not to a former Marlboro smoker.

This isn't my first rodeo with aros, so I took it slow and easy. No tongue bite for me. But I could see potential for it to happen if one were to chug.

I only paid $3-$4 US for the pouch. And I might finish it before it dries out and withers. But I doubt I will purchase it again unless I am without a choice.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown. Pouch from the shelf

Purchased From: Local smoke shop

Corn cobs and briers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corn cobs and briers (6)

Best of the best in drugstore tobacco. The aroma is very unique can only compare to raisin and vanilla and bean. Bought a pouch and compare syrupy moist....allowed to sit for a week believe it or not to dry at proper moisture. When smoked the flavors of vanilla and bean hit the tongue..the aroma of carmel and coco is picked up with a lingering vanilla. Best enjoyed in a corn cob for several reasons will ghost any brier or hardwood pipe. Also a corn cobs natural sweetness compliments any blends with cavandish or aromatic tobacco for that nature. Smooth smoking is key allowing the flavors to open.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (17)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Ugh, double ugh, triple ugh, one million times ugh. Why do people like this? It's awful. It has no discernible taste other than cigarettes, and it leaves a nasty cloying smell in the pipe. "Captain Black White" is the Big Mac of the pipe tobacco world, but just because it's a best-seller it doesn't mean that it's a gem. There's nothing subtle, nuanced, enjoyable or anything interesting going on in this tobacco. It's a flat and dull smoke. We may as well smoke cardboard or inject nicotine into our jugular veins.

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

onurturker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onurturker (14)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Probably most known and famous pipe tobacco for everyone and probably most known and famous worst pipe tobacco for experienced pipe smokers.

this stuff is vanilla air freshener and like as other air fresheners, this chemical product must not smoke.Pay attention to your health and not smoking this stuff certainly extend your life.

Note: this stuff is helpful by two ways.One is you can unpack it and put in the car,smells so good and secondly if you go to picnic burn it with some kindling and smell,it may dominate also barbecue fume

Pipe Used: corn

Similar Blends: Air Wick Freshmatic Max - White Vanilla.

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Smoking Captain Black Regular is like eating a cheap candy which doesn't bother you that much, it's not the best, it's not the worst. Somewhat Recommended.

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I had to try it at least once, and I'm glad I did. I had very low expectations, but the blend exceeded them (not by much).

This is a very mild smoke with a very strong pouch aroma, and a very pleasant room note. I detect vanilla and rum, which is also perhaps producing a false cocoa scent. Very low in nicotine.

The aftertaste is strong, and rather artificial unfortunately. But the first half of the bowl is OK. It has bitten me, so be careful.

The price is somewhat absurd -- I could get an SPC blend for two more dollars. But you can't beat its availability. I encourage you to try it. It may work for you.

It doubles as a great car air freshener - just leave the pouch open.

Purchased From: Walgreen's

Giovanni Palomino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giovanni Palomino (21)

To compare it with a Captain Black Dark or Cherry something need you to make you stand out but is not as flat as the Gold and the Royal and also his note in the room is very nice so it you would give a second chance since these mixes are easy to get good price in Colombia.

Pipe Used: Country Gentleman Corn Cob Pipe

Purchased From: Estanco del centro Bogota Colombia

jedibastard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jedibastard (24)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I will be completely honest with you.....I enjoy CB! I picked up my first pouch when i first stated this hobby a few years ago. I had 3 blends in my collection at the time. Macbaren navy flake, irish flake and st james woods. So i figured why the hell not?! Ive seen this tobacco everywhere, i like the art work on the pouch(im a label shopper). How bad can it be? I was on the hunt for that pipe tobacco i always smelled in the air walking past a guy smoking a pipe, or some old guy in a store who smelled like something other then cigarette smoke. I never had any family or friends that smoked a pipe. So it was all memory based.

Upon opening the pouch. I was met with this marshmellowie......fake vanilla aroma. Which to me smelled great! Which is weird because I was that weird kid who gave away his halloween candy because i swore i was born with a "sweet tooth".

Lighting wasnt very easy. I hadnt been smoking a pipe long, maybe a few weeks tops, so i figured it was me. No.....it wasnt me. That tobacco was moist and sticky. After finally getting it to stay lit, it didnt taste anything like it smelled. Almost a hot air type of smoke. Every once in a while, i got that "ah! I taste something" puff. Which was a mixture of vanilla, stale smoke, and this tangy, weird burning thing going on with my tounge. After a few bowls of trial and error. I threw it into my now jar labeled "VIKINGS MIX" (its just a jar i put a pinch of every tobacco i buy in, and smoke here and there. And its pretty damn good!)

Years later i figured out this has to be sipped. And i mean SIPPED slower then hot coffee. When CVS clearanced all tobacco products, they had two big tubs of this left. I figured for a total of $25 for both tubs, ill keep it just to look at, and maybe someday try it again when im old and crusty. Nah, i opened a tub the second i got home.

This time. I let it dry a bit. And was met with a new experience. Still wasnt anything to brag about. But it wasnt horrible. Got more flavor out of it then i expected. Still get a creamy mashmellow flavor here and there. But that room note........im almost positive this was the stuff i smelled when i was younger.

Clinthulhu said it best! You cant compare this to high quality tobacco. Theres no possible way! Its not the best out there, but we have all tried it at least once.

But i will bet every single one of you pipe smokers out there, when the zombie apocalypse happens..and all the fancy pipe tobacco is gone...all you CB haters will be trading food, water and ammo for a bowl of CB so you can load your pipe up and have a smoke!!!!

Pipe Used: Conway estate pipe

Purchased From: Cvs

Similar Blends: A marshmellow genetically modified at a nuclear facility..

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A decent aeromatic, though needs dried out. i spread out a couple bowl fulls single layer on a dinner plate & mictowave for 10 seconds and let stand to cool. Without the drying, it's a chemical tasting event

2.5 stars

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1-month

Tank Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tank Man (10)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

Save you time and money. Very negative towards this. Chemical taste. No flavor. I smoked half a pipe of this. Tossed on compost pile to help break it down. So many other brands that cost the same with much more value and pleasure. Why should anyone start off with this? Get a good blend so you won't be discouraged. PASS!

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Age When Smoked: New pouch

Purchased From: Drug Store.

Marshall Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Smith (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Strong

barely decent tobacco too expensive and also not very impressive. Has very little flavor but also tends to bite quite easily even on a slow pull. I would recommend you only buy the smallest package to start to make sure you like it because to me this tobacco does not seem to have a universal likability so play it safe. Not to mention that although not the most expensive it is still way too much money to chance on something that you may hate.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Purchased From: Grocer

Filthee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Filthee (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This was my first pipe tobacco tried after deciding to get into pipe smoking. Chose this based off of availability (can be purchased almost anywhere) and because it tends to be recommended often as a "starter" tobacco. It reminded me heavily of Black and Mild cigarillos (whether that is a good thing or not depends on the smoker). I really don't notice much aroma while smoking it, but the aroma coming from the drawer I keep the pouch in is fantastic lol. Having tried a couple other blends I have to say that unless I was out of town and this was the only thing available I probably wouldn't purchase again. Not to say it's bad, just not the choice I would make in most situations

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Walgreens

Similar Blends: Black and Mild Cigarillos.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is like eating a bag of twinkies. I appreciate other fine desserts, but once in a while, junk food just fits the bill. I know it's not a fine manufactured tobacco, but I crave it once in a while. I'll also second what pipestud says, the ladies love the smell.

samanfromiran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samanfromiran (22)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

i recommend this tobacco for those who want to start pipe smoking.i myself started pipe smoking with this blend.nice aroma .but it has chemicals in and thus i suggest you that switch from this to another tobacco after some months.it is very good tobacco to start with but not for continue.it is mild tobacco -pleasant room note but full of essence.some times it bites your tongue. however in my opinion its the best for new pipe smokers. after switching to another tobacco you will find out that no tobacco in the world has this nice aroma .but i repeat:((it can be very harmful tobacco because it is heavy aromatic with lot of chemical essences)).also it can not give you nicotine satisfication because it is mild tobacco.after learning how to smoke pipe then try to find another tobacco .

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

My first tobacco, an old friend, consistent for the 35 years I have smoked it. Sure, there are better tasting, but I still keep it in my rotation. But then I still enjoy Maxwell house coffee and McDonald Hamburgers.

Kiyle A Winborne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kiyle A Winborne (4)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Not a bad starting tobacco and here's why:

It is everything that is bad in a blend. I'm not even sure it's not just cavendish with maple syrup added. It shows a starting pipe smoker what to look for because this clearly is not it.

It's something so bad that it's good for a learning experience. I bought 4 pouches and I haven't smoked a single leaf after the first bowl.

Pipe Used: Does it matter

Age When Smoked: 0-5 years is still bad

Purchased From: Gas Station

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (30)

Captain Black - Regular (white), is an ok over the counter pipe tobacco. It seems similar to the 7seas - Gold Blend, where the burley is the main component.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

Captain Black Regular (White) is the best selling packaged pipe tobacco in the United States. By far. Bud Lite is the best selling beer in the United States. By far. So is Captain Black Regular the best pipe tobacco available and Bud Lite the best beer available in this country? Not exactly. But the sales do reflect the fact that a lot of people like them. There is an unfortunate tendency for people who do not prefer very popular products to be condescending toward those who do. I am not overly fond of Captain Black White myself, but I find no reason to ridicule its many admirers.

What is Captain Black Regular? It is a combination of black cavendish cavendish, burley, and Virginia. The pouch mixture is mostly blackened leaf. It has one unquestioned strength. The room note is outstanding, like that of toasting marshmallows. Smoke this tobacco and you are almost guaranteed a comment of, "Oh, that smells good," from non smokers.

The taste is surprisingly restrained for a tobacco with such a pronounced room note aroma. You get the vanilla, and a touch of chocolate, but the taste is not at all strong. The nicotine level is low.

This is an exceedingly moist tobacco. Yet, surprisingly, it burns well and is not difficult to keep lit. With a restrained sipping technique a pipe full can last a long time, and many of those who smoke this tobacco exclusively can prolong the smoke for an extended time.

The Captain promises an "exceedingly mild" blend. It can be when smoked slowly with a careful puffing technique. Smoked rapidly, this is not an exceedingly mild tobacco.

Likewise the smoking technique affects the moisture problem. A carefully restrained puffing cadence does not eliminate the goo, but it does keep it within reasonable bounds. Puffed rapidly, Captain Black Regular will yield a gurgly pipe.

Given the necessity for careful smoking technique, Captain Black Regular is probably not the best pipe tobacco for a beginner, for novice pipe smokers tend to puff overly strong.

I smoke aromatics about one quarter of the time. I find Captain Black Regular to be a decent but not outstanding smoke. Personally I prefer both the Captain Black Royal and Gold to the White. I give the White high marks for the room note, but find it quite ordinary otherwise.

As with other aromatics, there is ghosting of flavor in succeeding smokes. I usually restrict smoking aromatics to my cobs, meerschaums, and Dr. Grabows.

ThePipeMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePipeMonk (11)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Oh Captain Black the staple of the new pipe smokers, every pipe smoker should experience Captain Black Regular atleast once. I do not hate the Captain, it has led many a legion to the wonderful world of pipesmoking and I am sure it will continue to do so.

The Nitty Gritty

Tin/Pouch Note: Very sweet, vanilla and a cornucopia of some unknown chemicals lest it be the infamous Chemical X ?

First Light: Hmm didn't I just did a charlight and did it even caught fire? Second Light: Phew okay, I can puff some, ooops, there it goes again.

You will certainly enjoy the Captain once it catches fire, the first half is a sweet delight, mid bowl it loses everything and I mean EVERYTHING, making either your pipe gurgle or frustrating you with even more relights. It's like a greedy Mistress which wants more and more of your time and everything.

At the end of the bowl it will harden into a tough burnt cookie and you will wonder whether it has some life left or not. It is wise to just get rid of the black ash then.

Will I recommend it to others? Atleast try it once.

What is more better than the Regular Captain? Try Lane-1Q. It's affordable and won't make you frustrated like a teen trying to get to second base.

Best use of Captain Regular? Leave it in a pot-pourri dish, the room will smell good.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch and air dried for 30 mins

Purchased From: www.cigarsindia.in

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am not generally an aromatics person. I like my tobaccos to be a little more natural or savory, not really all that sweet. But every once and a while I get a sweet tooth craving and have nothing to really fill that application in my stock. Captain Black Regular may fill that void when my Savinelli Black Cavendish runs out, mostly because of availability (it is freaking EVERYWHERE) and price (about $4 in PA just south of where I live).

The pouch smell is cloyingly sweet, like overly sugared candy. The taste is much more mild, and I get a mostly Marshmallow Fluff and slightly vanilla flavor. The room note is likely one of the best aspects to this tobacco. Everyone who has been around it has loved it, saying things like "I could swear you were toasting marshmallows." Great for being around people and when that sweet tooth comes a callin'.

Just as an afterthought, this blend can bite a little if smoked unfiltered but gives me no issue in a filtered cob.

Ashik Ibrahim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ashik Ibrahim (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Room-note, room-note, room-note:

Captain Black Regular was the blend I first started smoking. It smells strongly of vanilla out of the pouch, and upon burning leaves a rather-quite-lovely fragrance lingering in a room. Which, when I first started smoking, was most important - I wanted a perfume more than anything, a tobacco that wouldn't leave me stinking.

The Cap does just that, here - but not much else.

When I was a beginner, that was fine. But as time has passed and I've experimented with other brands and blends, I've found other smokes much more satisfying - even if they didn't leave the room smelling like a patisserie.

I come back to the Cap'n now and then mostly out of either nostalgia for more youthful times or because the stuff is cheap and readily available.

If you're new to smoking pipes, and interested in an aromatic, this is a good place to start.

But I would encourage you to explore - there is much out there I promise you'll find far more satisfying.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I have smoked Captain Black White on and off for many years now, at the same time enjoying the very similar Lane Ltd. RPL-6 and BCA bulk products, but when it comes to availability CBW can’t be beat, it can be found where ever tobacco of any type is sold, so when out and about its CBW. A simple fuss free lite aromatic that is both mild and bite free. But I should emphasis that this blend (IMO) is quit mild and non-remarkable. For me just perfect when I’m busy doing whatever, but still looking for that ever satisfying gentle Nic hit. Evidently scores of other pipe smokers feel the same considering CBW has had such a huge sales success for decades now. For those FEW that have not tried this stuff, you can still buy a12oz tub for about 30 bucks, whether you’re a beginner or a old-timer these basic old drug store blends and corn-cob pipes still have allot to offer. Within its genre CBW is an easy 3 stars.

Durham270 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durham270 (3)

This was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked. I have smoked a lot of very popular higher priced and high end tobaccos since I started smoking and I still come back to good old Captain Black 'White' original! It's a very mild easy smoking tobacco with no tongue bite whatsoever. I've had many compliments to the room note from nonsmokers. I've tried all the Capt. Black blends and this is still my favorite. It's cheap, available everywhere. Try it, you wont be sorry you did.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

For a drugstore brand Captain Black white is pretty good. Yes, it IS sweet. Yes, there IS vanilla. What are you expecting? It has pleasant room note, decent taste (if you are prepared for something "sweet") and smokes well. Lit right up and smoked right through. I would not buy this instead of, say, a good Dunhill blend, or Stokkebye or even Lane's better blends (Captain Black is produced by Lane), but I would buy this if there were no good tobacco stores nearby and I was out. I certainly recomend it as a "beginner tobacco." The one drawback is it's price. Everywhere, that I have found it, all Captain Blacks have been rather pricey for an OTC.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am comparing this to only other aromatics I have smoked. Not as sweet as CB Gold, but a nice smoke and good if you want more tobacco taste vs. CB Gold. Also, my wife loves the aroma of this vs. other aromatics by far. Tastes how it smells. Nice mild and tastey smoke that smells great.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I liked this stuff when I first picked up the habit. It's available everywhere, so that's a plus. It was all I smoked for a while. It is sweet but not a goopy, sticky mess. It's a nice mix of Black Cavendish, Burley and Virginia. I thought the flavor had kind of a vanilla/liquor taste to it. It never gave me tongue bite either. It will ghost a pipe, but that never bothered me because the flavor is pretty mellow.

Pipe Used: Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of pouch.

Purchased From: Local B&M retailers.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

Most will hate to admit it but the one blend most of us started out with is still a good hearty rich enjoyable Smoke. For many years I didn't want to give in and buy it. Because I thought my taste were so far above this blend. But you want to know like many I was wrong. YES,There is no Latakia Turkish Oriental and it isn't blended in small batches with cool tin art. It is what it is. A good all day smoke women love the aroma very pipey and the smoke is ever so good. So come on and Enjoy a bowl.

Well what can be said about this blend that hasn't already been said. Good Bad or Indifferent This blend is an American Classic. It should be called Captain America. After smoking all the other top shelf blends of many differnt tin and bulk type latakia, Oriental Turkish, Flake and Shag ect. It is always good to come home to a blend that has been good since I was a kid.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I bought the Royal and the White in bulk and find myself coming back to the White over and over again. I let this sit for awhile after trying it and am enjoying it a lot. Goes well with a coffee in the morning or at anytime. Very pleasant scent/taste and room note. Highly recommend.

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (18)

Tis the holiday seasonand and the Better/Half asked me to find a pleasant tobacco that would'nt be objectionable to the folks who dont find the room-note of my English/Balkan blends that I Love to smoke, as we make are rounds to holiday gatherings. So I figured what the hell and grabed a pouch CBW when I went out the other day. My Pops smoked this stuff by the tub full when it hit the market back in the 70's and I loved the room-note when I was a kid, Mom also never had anything bad to say about CBW. I think I may have smoked a pouch or two at the begining of my pipe smoking career back in the mid-late 80's until I was turned on to english blends in the early 90's. Now to get back to CBW I fired up a pipe-full this morning with my Cup O Joe and when the Better/Half got half way to the kitchen she was asking what is that "Wonderful" smell was, so CBW has passed the room-note test. Taste wise? well it's CBW I find it as a mild aromatic with some tobaco flavor. I like the way the burly peeks it's head out every once in awhile. I guess Pops knew a good thing after all. If your looking for a smoke that wont offend those around you pick up a pouch. You can find this stuff just about anywhere that sells tobacco hell you may even make a few friends who dont even smoke, and at about 5 bucks for a pouch there will be No Harm / No Foul if you dont care for it.

Your Brother in Smoke

3/4 Stars

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

For those who love Captain Black; no explanation is necessary. For those who don't; no explanation will suffice.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Smooth, sweet and oh so easy to keep lit. The taste is of mild tobacco and marshmallow – quite sweet but definitely not syrupy like some aromatics. The room note is fantastic and loved by every one of my friends, smokers and non-smokers alike. “Now THAT is nice!” is typical of the comments I get when putting a match to this blend in company. Not freely available in my country, which means my appraisal is not influenced by herd-like labels like “drug store” blend. My only complaint is an occasional artificial taste – best described as the taste one gets when inflating plastic swimming pool toys by mouth. For me, a 50/50 mixture with Carter Hall is a match made in heaven. It eliminates that dreaded artificial taste, cuts the excessive sweetness, and adds mild tobacco taste – all while still producing a very good room note. Three stars on its own; four stars when blended with Carter Hall.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

I read the reviews and decided to give this a go. Like a few people it was my 1st OTC that I purchased. Upon opening the pouch, I found that it smelled great, and it had a nice course cut look and really looked like some nice tobacco. I have found that this smokes great in a cob or a briar. I've also noticed that I have to leave it out to dry and then it will smoke all the way down 'almost'.

If you don't dry it out a bit, it will leave a wet mess in the bottom of the bowl and it will only smoke halfway down. That being said, it has a very pleasant room note. I have a great time smoking this tobacco, but it doesn't have much taste, so I smoke it more for the room note than anything. When I used to think of pipe smoke before the word room-note meant anything to me, this is the smoke I would have imagined.

I will always have some of this on stock, and can't find anything wrong with it. I'd give it more like 4 outta 5 stars but the option is not available. Too each his own, but I like this tobacco and will try the other Captain Blacks eventually.

grumpyoldprofessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grumpyoldprofessor (11)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Good ol' Captain Black. I do love this stuff. It's easy to pack, light and keep lit and my wife thinks it smells good. Tastes good too. I taste smooth vanilla and chocolate and I can even pick up on the roasted marshmallow that I've read of in previous reviews. I usually smoke Va's, light aromatics and the occasional english, but do find myself smoking this often. My only complaint is that after smoking this exclusively for a few days I do find myself wanting something with more tobacco taste. However, Captain Black White still gets smoked in my pipe at least once a day. It's a very good aromatic at a decent price and easy to find.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

.... The Captain of the ship had decided. I was to walk the plank. I had made a seemingly small mistake.... or at least I thought it was small; but to Captain Black, it wasnt. To put it simply, I had made love with his woman. You see, Black always kept that fiery Spaniard, Isabella on the ship; always. She never left, so needless to say, she was rather lonely. And I, having seen nothing but gruff pirates and fish was often tempted with this forbidden fruit... But let me start from the beginning.

On one night the captain had left to lay raid to a Royal Navy vessel with the men, and left me to swab the deck. The nerve... I was one of the best guns on the ship... How could he? But shortly thereafter my abandonment, I wouldst reap a reward.

The opportunity struck as I was cleaning the captain's quarters as per my instruction. And there she was; the fair skinned Isabella, changing before my eyes, unclothing herself as her eyes pierced into mine. There she stood before me, fully unclothed, pleading with me to take her there in the Captain's bed; I gave in... to my great pleasure... 6 times on that moon's rise to be exact. I had never been with anyone quite like Isabella. She even remarked on my size, saying I "out gunned" that of the noble captain. As we lay there, sweating after making love like wild animals, I craved my vice, the only thing that could appropriately cap off the night. I had to smoke. The captain had always kept in his possession his prized pipe, and I concluded... Why not? I had already taken use of his woman; why not delve into his sacred stash? All I needed was the key around Isabella's neck, which she gladly gave me, due to the fact that my balls hung low, they wobbled too and fro as well.

I smoked the pipe tobacco wilts once again laying "siege" to Isabella's booty. The tobacco was mild and delightfully aromatic. Once the sun began to rise, I covered my tracks well, but not well enough for Ole Captain Black. He detected my presence in his chambers the moment he arrived on the ship. How, still remains a mystery to me. Never the less, he was furious. So I walked. At the end of the plank I turned to the crew and bid farewell, blowing a kiss to the Spanish beauty. Then to the captain, I turned and said "Seems to be that I was the captain of HER ship!!" Then I jumped, plunging into the depths of the sea.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)

I had never tried this well-known tobacco, and was prepared to be disappointed after Captain Black Gold (I am spoiled by having a fine local tobacconist with excellent house blends). Instead, I was very pleasantly surprised; for a high-profile brand-name tobacco, this is very good. A blend of Cavendish including black C., it might be too sweet and sticky for some, but I liked it.

A good first-pipe-of-the-day smoke; not too strong, not too heavy; very easy on the tongue, and a satisfying smoke in my jumbo pipe. Good choice for new smokers and for when only the drugstores are open. I would not recommend it over custom blends, but taken as a popular commercial tobacco, it has my endorsement.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My first tobacco - just like a first love, always memorable. I used to smoke this along with Sir Walter Raleigh in my MM cob way before I knew anything about balkans, english's and virginias. I just bought a batch of this and it's still the same. Brings back lots of memories. I enjoyed it very much despite the fact that I smoke alot of other "hoity-toity" tobaccos these days. Sometimes a good OTC blend can put things back into perspective. I read a review on here somewhere (sorry I don't remember who it was) about these OTC blends. They stated that if it was good enough for gramps and dad, it was good enough for them. I have to agree. Sometimes I just want something to smoke, not to ponder over, savor or fuss about - just to smoke. Captain Black White fits the bill nicely - now where's that box of Sir Walter Raleigh...?

* 1st of the drug store blends.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

The two measures I use to avoid an emotional evaluation are: 1- Am I going to buy it when finished? 2- Am I going to miss it in the long run?

Captain Black White is a good pipe tobacco. The best thing about it is its flavor and the room note it gives. I haven't try different kinds of tobacco without flavors, but I can say it is not the kind you want if you are looking for the taste of a pure tobacco. The flavor is overwhelming.

One another good thing about it is that is is available ( I live in Syria, Latakia) and inexpensive (three dollars for 50gms).

One bad thing about it is that--compared to unflavored tobacco-- it is wet.

To conclude, I like CBW because of its flavor, and it leaves a pleasant smell that sticks even to your mustaches/beard. It tastes good, but to be honest, it does not taste like professional. Currently it is the most kind favored by me among the available ones (I have tried all the rest of flavors by Captain Black, I also tried Clan, Borkum Riff Orange and Honey, and Erinmore Mixture), but I am looking to try more professional, more delicious brands. I've tried Dunhill Early Morning, and it is far more better, but not available now. -------------------------------------------------------- Two Years Later: Captain Black White was missed in the markets here for two years, and so I had to go trying other brands and blends. I tried Davidoff (Danish, Scottish, English, Red), Mac Barren (Navy Mixture, Navy Flake and Plumcake), I've tried Borkum Riff (Orange and Honey, Pure tobacco), and all the rest blends of Captain Black. After my experience--and now captain black white is available, I find it among the best pipe tobaccos I smoked. Davidoff Danish mixture, red mixture, and Captain black white are my number one, next comes captain black gold, Davidoff English mixture and Mac Barren Plumcake).

And yes, CBW burns well, and seldom leaves dottle if you knew how to pack it and smoke it properly.

pipesmoker33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker33 (18)

This is my all time favorite tobacco. Very smooth, mild flavor. Lights and burns very well with little to no bite. Very nice room note. I perfer this to any premium tobacco i have tried.

Update 7/14/16 This is still in my regular rotation, but recently made the switch to Royal witch is now my number 1

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (36)

I smoked this pretty regular back in the early 80's so lighting up takes me back.

This is good no nonsense drug store tobacco. Not the greatest tasting but I like it well enough. I'm not getting any soapy top not like I do with some drug store blends. Just a hint of chemicals maybe. I don't sense much for flavoring either. It tastes like tobacco. It's smooth and has body. The after taste is rather pleasant.

Captain Black loads, lights, and stays lit easily straight out of the pouch. It's great for inattentive smoking with very little muss and fuss.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)

First of all i have to say that i am a beginning pipe smoker, so i have been using this site a lot and reading a lot of reviews.

I came across this brand and since i am a college student and i don't have much money. Plus in my whole home town almost nobody smokes pipes; consequently, i have no tobacconist in town. I was at rite-aid and saw this brand and then read all these reviews.

Everybody said for a beginner it is a good tobacco experience, so i tried it. first of all a lot of people said that it was very moist or goopy in the bag, IDK if i got a bogus bag or since nobody smokes pipes where i live, its mabey been sitting there for years but it was not moist at all, quite dry actually. The flavor of it wasn't overboard either, a lot of people said it tasted soapy or like a candy bar, i tasted some vanilla and some whiskey flavor, but the tobacco stood out, i could really taste that. But, the aroma was a little disappointing, a lot of people around me liked the smell but i thought it would be way more pungent. all in all i liked it, i will be keeping it until i get some more doe and start online shopping!

So, im adding to this review, i was smoking a bowl of this stuff when writing this review, which was like 5 hours ago. So i left my house since then, and just walked into my room right now, and i smelled that wonderful aroma everybody was talking about. I now love CBW!

juanocp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanocp (11)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It's by all means what every new pipe smoker passes trow. I got a 12oz. can but because of mi lack of experience working with mi pipe it took mi months of playing around with it to really get it. Now i occasionally smoke it in the mourning after breakfest with mi coffee, the taste is mild, sweet, nothing to deep to analize just plain white chocolate casing. Still have like 10oz left to go, it will take me a couple of years to finish that tobacco.

jw62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jw62 (4)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Captain Black White and Blue tobaccos are really the best OTC buy you can get (Blue is my choice as it is a bit stronger than White). The white package is perhaps the weakest of the two but still very good, and a good choice for someone just beginning pipe smoking. It is a very cool smoke, burns slow, has a wonderfull aroma and a pleasing-enough flavor when slowly wiffed out thru the nose. I cannot recall a single time when this mixture has ever bit my tongue (even some of the more expesnsive blends at tobacco shops can burn the back of your skull out if not smoked properly). The only reason why I give Captain Black White a 3 rating is because it is only surpassed by special blends from a professional tobacconist. I don't know about this particular mixture being a lady killer or not. The ladies seem to like the aroma of any kind of pipe tobacco. Then again, I doubt smoking a pipe just to attract women is worth the possibility of wrecking a lung and/or destroying the sinuses, but to each their own.

pipeinlefthand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeinlefthand (4)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Fair enough, the world, much less this forum may not need more discussion on one of the world's most recognizable pipe tobaccos. With that in mind, I will try not to repeat what has already been said about it in detail. Yes, it's everywhere, it's arguably inexpensive (except here in Canada, where no tobacco is inexpensive) it's loved, it's maligned, and like the old death and taxes routine, it's there and there's nothing you can do about it.

This tobacco is often refered to with a quaint, archaic description used by the pipe smoking community, the "drug store blend". This both references and conjures images of a time when drug stores were the 7-11's of their day, where in addition to pharmaceuticals could be found all manner of household items, usually of the cheap and fast variety. A pouch of Prince Albert and a bicycle tire repair kit might constitute an average sale. You didn't go to the drug store to buy fine tobacco, your town had a "tobacconist"(miracle of miracles), who actually blended the mixture himself. You went to the drug store to buy tobacco that was cheap, available, and definately mass produced. This is the heritage of both Lane Limited and it's most famous product, Captain Black "White".

Perhaps this still used "drug store" reference is an indication of how old fashioned many pipe smokers are, regardless of their actual age (I'm certainly guilty). What I feel is being missed, or maybe only vaguely touched on, in the reviews, is that this is not only a mass produced "drug store blend", it is a "NAME BRAND PRODUCT". In pipe tobacco it is "the" name brand product. Like Coca Cola and the Big Mac, this is a very high profile (a colassal understatement) product owned and endorsed by a major corporation. As such, it is subject to the barrage of scrutiny and contentetion that such fame inevitably brings. Conneseurs look at it as unwashed, the masses never question it (they probably think it's the ONLY pipe tobacco), and those of us somewhere in the middle all have our varying opinions. These opinions are based on many factors of taste, class, exposure and sometimes, even the quality of the product itself.

Ah, the product itself. Somebody here called it the "Old Spice" of pipe tobaccos. I think of it more as the "Oreo Cookie" of pipe tobaccos. Ever notice how many cookies try to copy Oreo, and none of them get it right? You'd think it wouldn't be that tough to replicate a cookie, cola, or pipe tobacco but guess again, product formulas worth that kind of international trade are closely guarded secrets. Oreos are supposed to be chocolate, I guess, but they don't exactly taste it. It's a hard flavour to put your finger on. The Captain is supposed to be vanilla, I guess, but doesn't exactly taste it. Just try the originals back to back with some of the hordes of other little chocolate cookies and trade grade vanilla pipe stuffings, and you'll see what I mean. It just has a flavour and aroma that are hard to describe, and unlike any other. Captain Black may not be the pipe tobacco against which all others are measured, but it is the pipe tobacco against which all other mass produced, aromatic "drug store blends" are marketed.

I don't believe it is a terrible, or even a bad tobacco. If it tasted like burning tires, nobody would buy it, no matter how gullible they might be. A Big Mac is not prime rib. A Big Mac is, however, a carefully created, easily prepared sandwich which is very predictable, inexpensive, widely available, yet still generally enjoyable to most people. If that desciption happens to remind any pipe smokers of a brownish weed they've encountered in a white pouch with a sailboat on the top, it's no coincidence. If you're tired of it, it's time to head off to the tobacconist, or the steak house.

I enjoy Captain Black's vanilla meets raisins meets old furniture at the antique shop sort of essense. My grandfather never smoked it in his pipe, yet it somehow sort of SEEMS like he did. I buy better tobaccos, and for that matter cheaper tobaccos, which I greatly enjoy. Pipe tobacco is one area of life where I really get to exercise my penchant for trying new things. However, I never seem to be without this stuff, and I've never smoked a bowl of it I didn't enjoy. Am I a victim of the corporate machine? In this case I think I'm more of a willing participant. Some people will not like it's flavour. If someone finds this harsh, they weren't cut out for pipe smoking. Some will reject it because they prefer other types of blends, more latakia, less sweet. Some will even never try it and turn their noses up on the basis that it lacks "culture". Culture, my friends, is all around us.

P.S. - I personally find the Big Mac kind of disgusting, don't really like the sauce that much. I LOVE the Quater Pounder with Cheese.

Extremely Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This stuff is everywhere. Many start off their pipe smoking careers with this or its numerous siblings Royal, Gold, and Cherry. This is probably not the best idea, as they tend to smoke a bit wet. Non smokers love the smell (usually), and vanilla is pleasant in small doses. There is just no way to know if you like tobacco, as you never really taste it. It has become twice as costly as other drug store tobacs in my area, and for that I'll probably never buy it again...I agree whole heartedly that this is the Old Spice of the pipe tobacco world!

If you enjoy this, give Lane's RLP-6, or BCA a shot. They are much less costly, and burn a little better.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

When I first stared smoking I tried a few store brands and 1-Q, at that time, this was one of my favorites. I dislike 1-Q. I like a tobacco that is pleasant for the people around me when I smoke it. I am usually around people. Opening the bag presented a very pleasant smell creating a desire to hurry up and start smoking it. It packs well and unless packed wrong tends to stay lit with maybe one re-light. If you are a person who tends to puff more often than you probably should, Capt. tends to stay cooler than others I have tried and if getting too hot, cools down fast. The taste at light up is the same as at the end. A little boring but at least you know what you are getting. If smoked too much over a short period of time it does get a little heavy and the vanilla will get on your nerves. It is cheap and a good basic smoke. For now it is a regular rotated tobacco for me and will probably stay that way even after I find others that I like. A great beginner tobacco.

C. A. Rossoni Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
C. A. Rossoni (1)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Judging this tobacco is a fairly educative task, once it is subject of frequent genus/species confusions. Many flaws are appointed that are in fact related to the entire genus, and therefore are not flaws. The extravagance of aromatic tobaccos is something that pertain to this genus (in higher or lower degrees). As a cigarette and cigar inveterate who came to smoke his first pipe after 10 years of smoking other forms of tobacco, I couldn't be more skeptical about artificially added flavours. But I have to admit, this blend gave me a lot to think about, and was the one to break my skepticism. It can be argued that it is maybe too much chemically manipulated, and it certainly do not have that extremelly satisfying virtue of the more expensive and pure blends - that is a natural, unsuspected, refined, ontological integrity - but there is a position in the market for something that is not exactly refined, but yet pleasant. I call it the waiting room, the driving, the "I forgot to bring my pouch" tobacco. Someone up here said it is like the girl he knew in college: futile and somewhat nasty. Maybe that can't be negated. But it happens all the time that we find joy in childish, innocent, beautifully foolish girls. It's sweet, unpretentious and playfull, which means you've got have a "sense of humor" to enjoy it. Certainly a blend for when you feel more of a hedonist, and less of a connoisseur. It doesn't deserve 4 stars, for that I reserve to those heroic blends that convey what they have to using tobacco only. It doesn't deserve 3 stars, for that would be the best aromatic following the last principle. Two stars it is.

SmokingHawk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingHawk (27)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I think every almost every new pipe smoker starts smoking or into their intermediate days they try CB blend. Easily available and relatively cheaper. I also bought a pouch of cb 3 blends smoked a bowl of white before I get any taste or flavor I was half way and then it was taste less. I still have it and smoke just the heck of it.

Age When Smoked: New from the pouch

RondyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RondyR (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am often amazed at how wildly opinions can differ within our little community. Captain Black Regular, or White as I call it, is a polarizing tobacco to put it mildly. People tend to either love it or absolutely despise it.

I fall into the “Love It” catagory myself, but please keep in mind that I am primarily an English blend man and not much of an aromatic one. I have been smoking Captain Black White at least a few times a year for the past twenty years now.

Yes, it will bite if you puff on it as if it were a cigarette. Do this and you will wonder if not tearing your own tongue out with tongs would be less painful than the tongue bite.

Yes, unequivocally yes, women love the smell of it. Even people who are violently anti-smoking will smile at it and comment how wonderful it smells. It often causes people to remember warm and loving memories of a father or grandfather, and who doesn’t like such great memories?

Yes, it’s pretty goopy. Like Jim said in his review, puff slowly.

This is a great blend to smoke when out in public or if you are doing something like mowing the yard or fishing; it’s a blend that you can puff on and not think much about. The price per pouch or tin is good and it can be found just about anywhere, making it a decent tobacco to grab when you are out doing something and realize that you left your pouch at home.

I recommend that everyone give it a shot at least once. It’s been the best-selling pipe tobacco by far for fifty years and counting. You only get that sort of staying power by being pretty decent and by being a good bargain.

I would recommend that you stay away from Captain Black Gold and Royal; in my opinion they are just terrible. Captain Black White and the newish Captain Black Dark are pretty good and may pleasantly surprise you.

3.25 stars.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Various

Purchased From: Various Retailers

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I bought this one recently out of curiosity. It was this, or carter hall. I waited till I had a cob to smoke it though, as it is an aromatic of royal pedigree. I usually don't smoke them.

It's a ribbon blend with some chunky cav in it. Smells strongly of vanilla and honey. A lot like marshmallows so far as room note. It packs and lights very easily and tastes similar to it's smell for the first half. After which I noticed tobacco popping up here and there.

I would swear it has the same sauce as 1-Q. It may even be 1-Q with some va added to round it out. It tastes like it, and smells almost exactly like it. And, is made by the same folks.

Others enjoy the smell. My wife, my kids, my mom, my mother in law. I'm sure you get the idea. Not bad for a beginner, or an aro fan. It's a huge seller worldwide for a reason.

Pipe Used: MM Morgan cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh?

Purchased From: B&M shop

Similar Blends: Lanes 1-Q.

Davetopay2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay2 (16)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

The classic stench of grand fathers who can't be bothered to smoke better, or are tired of grandma complaining about them smoking something without the artificial flavors and aromas.

Surprisingly, age did help this a tiny bit. It's still covered in PG, feels like plastic, and leaves me wishing I had smoked something else. But, in a pinch, it will do.

I think I can taste some burley, maybe a pinch of va, but it isn't the star. It's all about whatever syrup they dump on it.

If I was looking for a pouch of something to tide me over at the drugstore, I'd go to Carter Hall first.

Age When Smoked: I think I jarred this in 2008

Purchased From: Drugstore?

Pops Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pops Pipe (17)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Was better about 40 years ago, now its goop and chemicals ! Fouls up a pipe badly, and gets boring real fast. Its a shame because it used to be better.

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (47)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the worst I've tried as far as bite, residue, and stink. Smells good on the surface but when that casing scent is gone good luck.. smells like 1000 cigarettes in a public toilet. I tried this when I first started off internet suggestions and that was a big mistake.. I nearly quit right then. This stuff has so much crap on it that it's literally wet to the touch. The day after I smoked it I literally was sick with stomach issues... sitting on the toilet, oh boy! I even tried cutting it 50/50 with no-bite burley and it couldn't save it. Not one I would recommend to my worst enemy. This stuff is pure crap and the only reason it's still around is because it's prevalent anywhere... which is a vicious cycle.

Pipe Used: Briars, Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Age When Smoked: out of pouch.. 2 weeks from opening

Purchased From: Gas Station

Similar Blends: dog poop.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)

Good aroma, nice color, a bit soggy from the pouch. It tastes a bit bland, just a standard otc aromatic that works when you need it, bit is nothing to sit and ponder over. Another "walking" tobacco (I do a lot of walking.)

Purchased From: Convenience store

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Mostly black, with a few pale flecks speckled in. Mixed ribbon cut...mostly medium, but I got a lot of small pieces and crumbs in my sample as well. It's a little moist, but not bad. Tin note is very pleasant. Surprisingly well behaved and bite free for an aromatic. Nicotine level is mild, as expected...on par with its peers.

Captain Black's topping reminds me of marshmallows. It doesn't really taste like marshmallows per se.....but the taste is sweet and "warm" and "fluffy", if that makes sense....and marshmallows sort of come to mind. I don't know what exactly it tastes like, but it is quite pleasant. The tobacco flavor is black cavendish, and I think I get a tiny hint of burley as well.

Overall, not bad for what it is.

The above review is for the tub version. The pouch version seems to have a lot more PG added, and is thus wetter, much less well behaved in the pipe, and require more relights.

originally reviewed 12/1/2012

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

The Captain!

This review is based on a collection of nearly twenty year old memories but what an impression The Captain made. For the beginning piper, I'd recommend something more like Carter Hall, a far more forgiving tobacco. The Captain tends to keelhaul them who lack superior pipe form.

A very nice room note. I remember a girl I was friends with commenting that it was "a nice touch, a nice winter touch." Otherwise, no tobacco flavor and no nicotine either. What flavor there is is a chemically sort of vanilla as I remember. Attempts to puff up some power from The Captain will lead you to burn your tongue and maybe also the roof of your mouth, because this is one hot wet smoke. I mean, you dont know what tongue bite is til you've puffed on this. And it will make your pipe gurgle with moisture and goop.

I'm not too good to smoke and enjoy otc blends, but this is one of the worst. Long lived mass market saturation doesn't always equal a fantastic product. The preceding comments go for Captain Black Gold also.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (72)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The ladies might like the scent and you may look debanaire smoking this, but it just doesn't jive with me. Upon light up I got an overbearing cherry sweet and stinging sensation on my tongue. Too much liquore, anyone? The flavor was flat and tasted like smoked cardboard. Yuck. Even after drying this lacked in appeal. If you're that desperate for a nic hit and are in a pinch, then I'd understand picking up a pouch of this. The pouch note and aroma are nice. That's all this pipe weed has going for it. If you like this genre, go with Decatur's Mild and Mellow (which is being phased out) or Blender's Gold Burley and Black. Not only are these blends far cheaper than the old Captain, they have a better flavor profile and are easy on the tongue. These blends do need a little air time but they are a worthy alternative.

Similar Blends: Decatur's Mild and Mellow, Blender's Gold Burley and Black..

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Mild Very Strong Full Very Strong

Captain Black regular was one of my first tobaccos.thanks godi tried other blends and didn't stop smoking my pipes.when you break the seal a wonderfull aroma comes out and everyone loves it!good news stop here.very moist needs to dry out.when you light it a blue flame come out of the pipe!it burns the bowl a lot despite i went aesy on that..after finishing the bowl was full of moist needed cleaning and i needer 1 9mm filter per bowl.the aftertaste is bad like chemical.if you have other options try them out.if you are curius you can try it only ONCE!!!

Age When Smoked: When opened!

Similar Blends: Captain black gold.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A slight improvement over Captain Black Round Taste, the flavor of Captain Black Regular is mild and a bit toasty with a touch of sweetness. The designer aroma is sure to please but the room note is much more enjoyable than the flavor. Once fully lit, the faint taste of propylene glycol comes through in every puff and the taste of the tobacco can often become lost in a waxy tasting off-flavor. As the bowl progresses this becomes less of a distraction, but maintaining a slow enough pace to keep this from smoking wet was a bit of a challenge. Due to the excess moisture, I would recommend smoking this in a cob, meerschaum, clay or some sort of system pipe. While this is not what I would call a bad blend, I would much rather smoke 1Q, RLP-6 or Wilke’s 191.

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend is a decent addition from CB. It suffers most of the drawbacks of Captain Black, goopy pouch moisture, bad cut full of twigs and stems.. But it has a delightful aroma and the taste of Vanilla is less chemical than other CB blends. It has little hints of cacao that are inconsistent, and it's better added to another blend to make your own if you're experimenting with this. But nothing more for me

Pipe Used: Falcon Istanbul

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - Captain Black Royal.

Kamerling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kamerling (27)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

We get quite firmly compacted black mixture of Cavendish with Burley. According to the descritpion, manufacturer adds there also Golden Virginia , though I have not noticed the taste or leafs of it. This sticky tobacco is characterized by high humidity and surprisingly well-resistant for drying. Captain Black White in contrast to the classic Danish flavors is not characterized by an artificial sweetener aftertaste or the infamous syrup .

While the taste of tobacco has not been defiled oversweetening, there is no way to defend that slightly perfumed aroma . Opening the envelope hits a strong dose of sugar- powdery scent . Despite the slight cherry flavor and intense fragrance reminiscent of ... vanilla pudding . A characteristic feature of the burning of a thick white smoke, a little light in the smell , but still perceptible . Characteristic feature of a thick white smoke - light in the smell , but still perceptible.

Notice that I smoked Captain Black Regular manufactured for and in USA - European version is not that same good.

ABCDomino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ABCDomino (2)

While this is certainly not a premium or excellent tobacco, it is an enjoyable smoke. I like a flavorful tobacco, but sometimes I just want something mild in my pipe. This fits the bill, very mild flavor, great room note, and contrary to a lot of reviews it doesn't smoke harsh if allowed to dry. This is loaded with humicant though, so drying on a wet pouch could be a lengthy process. Load up, smoke easy, don't be afraid to relight. There's a reason Captain Black has been an American staple for decades... it's an easy all day smoke that won't knock you on your rear.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Morgan

Age When Smoked: New pouch

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

brunogayger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brunogayger (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Too artificial flavors but it doesn't make a bad tobacco, if you're a beginner or into aromatics it's a good option. Despite all the chemicals it does not bite you at all.

Presbyterian Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Presbyterian Piper (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I tried not to like it I really did. I've been piping for a year now. I started by buying a cob on my 18th birthday and an ounce of 1Q from the local cigar shop. Since then I've really gotten into English blends and pretty much all things Latakia. However lately I've been making my rounds through OTC blends. Having tried and liked CH, The Prince, SWR, HnH, and 5bros I felt content and wanted to move on in trying other blends such as Granger and Lane Ready Rubbed. However I was in the Walgreens checkout line and saw this pouch on the bottom shelf next to the Top Cigarette tobacco. I figured what the hell I'll give it a try. Going into this I had a bias. Mainly because this blend is somewhat infamous for being crappy. Well once I opened the pouch I was greeted by a pleasant vanilla aroma. After lighting it up in my trusty MM Legend I was greeted by a ultra mild smooth vanilla smoke. Now this is definitely not the best OTC. And, I probably won't buy it again 1Q is better. But nothing takes away from the fact that this is descent. Its a smooth smoke you don't have to think about. As I'm typing I'm enjoying it out of my Kaywoodie estate. Probably gonna just save this blend for when I'm fishing on the boat. Definitely give this a try, but order it the Walgreens in Florida charged me 11 bucks!

Pipe Used: MM Legend, Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Pouch

Similar Blends: 1-Q.

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black was, for years, my go-to OCT Aromatic. In those days we lacked the online services of today, and after the loss of the shopping mall tobacconist there was only the drug store. For an OTC Aromatic it is a fine blend that I would still use today. To all those that find this blend loathsome, I would recommend some good old British Condor. I would wager they would change opinions rather quickly. This is not a beginner blend and as such needs to be smoked by a properly experienced veteran to enjoy it's many nuances. If you find this blend distasteful, train yourself up properly and give it another go. You may be surprised by the results. Cheers.

Pipe Used: Dr Gabrow Savoy

Age When Smoked: Used over several months

Purchased From: Shopping Mall tobacconist (B&M)

Similar Blends: American OTC Aromatic.

Troy_nov1965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Troy_nov1965 (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

Well i tried it ONCE and i would rather eat broken glass than try it again. Horrible stuff !!I could not finish a whole bowl of it. If hot, goopy, chemical mess is your idea of good tobacco then this is for you . Tasted like i was smoking a vanilla flavored used urinal cake. I do smoke OTC tobacco's but I will stick with my Carter Hall ,SWR,5 Brothers and Granger . I would rate it a 0 star but sadly its not a option.

Pipe Used: A corncob that i could toss

Age When Smoked: Who knows from all the PG

Purchased From: Food Lion

Similar Blends: Did i mention used urinal cake ?.

Mos6502 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mos6502 (4)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Captain Black! It would only be fair to judge Captain Black relative to its OTC adversaries; Carter Hall, Half and Half, Prince Albert, and Sir Walter Raleigh.

In that light, it does pretty well. It has a nice room note. It stays lit pretty well. It tastes nice enough. It is sweeter than all the others, has more flavor than all the others. I personally slightly prefer the somewhat subtler flavoring of Sir Walter Raleigh. It is light, but not so light as Carter Hall. It is satisfactory and enjoyable.

It does have its issues - it is usually too moist right out of the pouch. I tend to leave the pouch open for about a week before smoking. Smoked before a bit of drying, it tends to need to be relit frequently, or you have to keep puffing on it until it tastes bitter or bites. No good. It will also leave a goopy mess if you don't dry it before smoking. Additionally, whether moist or dry, it leaves an aftertaste, unlike Sir Walter Raleigh or Carter Hall.

My favorite "trick" is to mix a pouch of Prince Albert into a pouch of Captain Black. I find this helps it burn more evenly, improves the taste a bit, and gives it a little more kick. Plus it tastes and smells a lot better than Prince Albert does on its own this way.

My review: 3 stars for properly dry Captain Black, 1 star for CB right out of the bag. Drying really does make that much difference.

Pipe Used: CC

Age When Smoked: a week after opening pouch

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

No tongue bite. No nicotine. Bystanders commented favorably. Two and a half stars. If you're out of the good stuff, this is good for an OTC. Easy to light and it stays lit. Moisture level perfect as received from P and C. No gurgling, but the heel is wet. Don't know that it matters, I bought this in bulk. I found the flavor to be on the weak side. CB Gold is stronger. CB Royal stronger yet. The strongest CB that I tried was Dark.

Pipe Used: GBD billiard

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Lane 1 Q.

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (20)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I like this blend and I now understand why it's a bulk best seller both online and in tobacco stores. It's a pleasant aromatic and you can taste the cavendish and vanilla flavor -- feels cool on your tongue.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: P&G

TwelveAMnTX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwelveAMnTX (28)

Captain Black White/Regular (CBW) is a decent representative of an OTC aromatic tobacco. It's liked by some, hated by others & compared to other tobaccos that are in a different class by most. I enjoy CBW for what it is, a readily available good tasting smoke that you can get almost anywhere.

When you 1st open the pouch or tub you smell the vanilla with a slight cocoa fragrance with a little PG chemical overtone, but not as bad as some others in it's class. You'll enjoy the vanilla/cocoa taste & room note, which is also very pleasing to others while smoking.

The key to a good smoke & keeping it lit is letting what you are going to smoke sit out for a bit to dry out or you're going to be relighting a bunch. Once you start smoking CBW it's best to keep to a slow sip or you're gonna get some tongue bite. You'll also not get much flavor, probably get some ashy taste & not enjoy the smoke at all. I usually use a filter in my pipe to cut down on the moisture created while smoking, which helps to make a cooler smoke as well.

There are a lot of OTC aromatics on the market, CBW in my opinion is a pretty good one. It's not something I smoke everyday, but it's a nice tobacco to have around. I give it a 2.5 almost 3 stars. I recommend trying it, if you like vanilla aromatics you'll like it.

Pipe Used: MM cobs & Lorenzo Atlante Chianti briar

Age When Smoked: fresh to few months in a jar

Purchased From: local B&M

rushm1n3r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rushm1n3r (18)

In the words of Ralph Wiggum, it tastes like burning. Please go buy something good, like Odin's Wind, and skip this. You're not being snob, you're avoiding tongue bite.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat

Age When Smoked: 1 smoke old

Purchased From: Walgreens (where else?)

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

My first Captain Black review: I can't believe I haven't already covered this one! First of all, it's what I like to call a "beginner blend". It smells awesome, and therefore it draws beginners into the hobby. I was one of those beginners at one time. One of my ex-girlfriends' father smoked this all day, every day.

I will admit to liking the Captain. Yes, I still smoke a lot of this stuff. No, it isn't the greatest tasting tobacco ever, but it isn't the best. Yes, it is overpriced for what it is. Yes, there are other blends out there that are cheaper and much better in terms of quality. But there is just something that keeps me coming back to this one. Perhaps it's the amazing aroma, or the fact that it lights easily. Perhaps it's the soft flavor it provides. At any rate, if it is enjoyed correctly (sipped, not puffed furiously), then it should provide aromatic lovers with a satisfactory smoke.

Pipe Used: Grabows, Cobs

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black Regular is presented in chunky Black Cavendish with ribbon cut Burley. The sweet casing is just sweet, but not distinguishable as vanilla or something (to me). A mild and sweet smoke, a little bity when pushed with an excellent room note. Every once in a while there are hints of nutty, toasty tobaccos (Burley?) in taste, but then again you wouldn’t buy CB for that.

This review is based mainly on the original US version. The European version is remixed, leaving some of the chemicals and additives (e.g. cumarin) out, which are prohibited by EU regulations. Differences are neglectable to the smoker, the sweetness has maybe a little more depth in the US version. The room note and handling (moisturizers and burn enhancers) however are highly affected.

Nothing wrong with either version, but there is also nothing to make it stand out in an ocean of vanilla flavored blends available today.

Similar Blends: Others from the Captain Black series, Mac Baren Vanilla Choice, Black Ambrosia, Danske Club Black & Virginia, Vanilla, Sutliff Navigator Blend, ....

mmjk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mmjk (4)

Captain Black Regular, White Pouch. Here is a Lane tobacco almost every has seen in the stores, and this being the 370 plus review, one that a lot have tried and have a lot of opinions. I'm a firm believer in DRYING a tobacco before smoking it. This holds extra importance with Aromatics. This is a Black Cavendish, Burley mix topped with Vanilla. It smokes nice and mild and if dried properly... smokes dry down to ash. The taste is smooth and sweet and the smell of the smoke is a sweet vanilla. The burley adds richness to this blend, so you know you're smoking, not just warm air. I recommend this to Pipe smokers who know how to smoke a Aromatic. If you are new or only smoke Straight Virginias...stay away. I enjoy English blends(Latakia) and I think guys who do also and know how to sip their tobaccos could enjoy this as a sweet change of pace. Dry your tobacco and smoke slow.

OldTallMike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldTallMike (13)

I did what countless have said to do, and countless others advise against. I came back/began smoking with a pouch of Capt. Black. This is the tobacco I grew up around, and smoked in college. So-Welcome back familiar friend. eh. Not the same. Now I am not going to compare it to some high profile tobacco, like some do, because that is like saying I don't like this Honda, because it is not as fine as my Bentley....(look at me, eh?). I'd love to drive a Bentley...but not to the market everyday, you know? Anyways, comparing this to a high profile brand does it a dis-service and frankly, if you only smoke High End tinned brands, why did you pick up the Captain anyways? So, it is an OTC ouch blend, Pouch Note is great, potent though. Dried out a bit, it burns just fine, taste is really mild as is the room note. I do believe Lane has changed this, and I can't wait to try 1Q to see if it like the Captain I remember. I would buy it again-albeit probably out of necessity. I am going to test drive some other blends here soon that will surely fare better; however, I am sure Captain Black will always have it's place in the pipe smoking community, it has been around for a long time.

**edit: after trying several other blends, and becoming more accustomed to tobaccos, I gave captain black white another chance. I have to say I was surprised at my finding. As a new pipe smoker, I think I had some pretty high expectations. On my second round, I found CB to be pleasant, and a great all day, any time smoke that I would not hesitate to smoke again. I raised my rating to three stars- this is in comparison to other Drugstor/pouch blends, not the Tobacconist blends it cannot comaneci to.

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

You know, I think our ol' Captain gets a bad rep sometimes. Sure, he's not the best of the best... he's not complex, challenging, dynamic, or life-changing.

But, on the other hand, he's not complex or challenging. Captain Black is an excellent entry point to new pipe smokers for that very reason. It's also not freaking cherry flavored so you don't feel like some sort of creeper pushing it on folks. "Hey kid, wanna try some 'baccy? It tastes like candy!" No, Captain Black is a good, solid brand that new pipe smokers can feel tough and manly smoking... it balances out how silly they feel when lighting their pipe for the 7th time in 10 minutes...

This is, whether we as sophisticated tobacco connoisseurs are willing to admit it or not, what non-pipe smokers think of when they say, "I don't smoke a pipe but they sure do smell nice." The good ol' Captain, while nothing to write home about, provides a solid and generally non-offensive smoke that's easy to find just about anywhere when you're stuck away from your cellar of fancy-pants blends.

Purchased From: Everywhere Tobacco is Sold

masalem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
masalem (1)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I mixed 1/3 of Davidoff mixture blue (tasteless tobacco) with 2/3 of CBW and the results was really great. I recommend this Strongly. CBW full of chemicals and strong taste and smell, mixing it with Davioff blue WILL Dilute and balance the taste and smell also the moisture. It is very great mixture.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

An priest at my church, back in 1990, smoked this stuff. I always felt so special having a smoke with him in his office after weekday morning mass.

Within a few months, I realized that the church and the tobacco were not for me. Like many drugstore tobaccos, this was cheap leaf soaked in a wet chemical topping. If there is a hell, this is what is smoked there.

I can't recall any actual flavor, just lots of heat and chemical taste. I had to throw the pipe away.

NHPro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NHPro (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Not terrible, but not good either. The flavor was not there for me, but I smoked a full bowl anyway. I don't plan to purchase CBW again. I enjoyed H&H better.

OK, I smoked the full pouch and I stand by my original impression. CBW burns hot and can bite if smoked too quickly.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob Classic

Age When Smoked: 1year

Purchased From: Smokin Joe's

Alparoleofficer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alparoleofficer (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

To be a gas station blend it is a good stand in for when you cant make it to a true tobacco store. It is similar to some more expensive blends in its smoothness.

Age When Smoked: 2 Months

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

The impression that I got from a pouch of CB regular is, well, nothing. Very unimpressive. Not great, not terrible, just unremarkable in most ways. Pouch note is positive with vanilla possibly some caramel. Room note follows suit. This is as simple as it gets, cheap Cavendish with an overdone artificial topping. You get bored with it after half a bowl. If zombies smoked pipes, this would be their weed. When I get done with a bowl of CB regular my only reaction is "Well, that was pointless"

Royal is the same as regular, Gold is much better, Cherry much worse IMO. I'm done with the Captain.

Similar Blends: CB Royal..

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (16)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Okay. I bought this just to try it, and I totally regret wasting my money on such a novelty inkling. It was stupid of me. I should have listened to the bad reviews here. If the reviews say "Tastes like cardboard" - take heed. That is exactly what it tastes like. I like a lot of the STG tobaccos - a couple of them are my favorites. I don't know if it shows integrity that they haven't outright changed this stuff, and kept it tasting all low-end like the loyalists like...but this is below codger, man. This is just outright rank. STG is certainly keeping it real by maintaining this in the form that makes it so popular with OTC people. For the money, though - $12.00 at Rite Aid, I could have gotten something really decent. Not worth the experimentation, man, that's for sure. Smells great...really. The tobacco smells awesome, the room note is awesome - - tastes disgusting. There's a weirdness that permeates, too. Very distinctive, very nasty and will stick on your tongue all day. Yuck. I got this the hell out of my pipe as soon as I possibly could. This stuff's nasty.

Pipe Used: Laxey Manx Meerschaum

Purchased From: Rite Aid

Similar Blends: Dog Poop; Cardboard.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend started off decent. Kind of wet out of the pouch, kinda coarse cut. Half a bowl, it wasn't terrible, but wasn't awing.

After I got to the end, I had to give this one a one star, just because of the tongue bite and chemical taste.

Not impressed.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, H.I.S Egg Bent

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Overall, not as bad as i was expecting. I've heard nothing but bad about Captain Black so I was expecting unbearable tongue bite and chemical flavor but really its not that bad. It will bite you if you smoke too fast. Flavor leaves much to be desired. Its a little on the chemical casing side but there is also a nice light burley flavor in the background. Also it burns rather fast. Room note is mild and sweet. That same little chemical presence is also in the room note.

Overall, Captain Black is a mild, cool smoking light aromatic. Not really my thing but not terrible.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Great room note, but there are so many other better choices than this. The taste is extremely mild if anything at all and thus its mildness gives an ashy aftertaste in the mouth. It burns okay but uneven. It also burns a bit hot so watch out for occasional bite. One of the better choices at a drugstore when you are caught without anything else, but I have trouble finishing a pouch.

Strichetto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strichetto (18)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Bought in a pouch in Switzerland in 2013, at average price for drugstore tobaccoes, or, maybe, even cheaper... not a bad thing. Very well prepared and packed: double pouch (a sealed plastic sleeve over normal pouch) preserves umidity and flavour at best; perfect nearly rough cut, a nice mix of colors, good scent (maybe too much, but so good...).

Scent: very good, just a bit... intrusive, everything in the drawer smells of it!

Taste: the real limit of this tobacco, a poor taste. And an unsatisfied mouth after smoking. About strenght, it's too weak, by me.

Room note: nearly fantastic, all women smile, before cough... too much sweet vanilla aroma casing? Like in a candy & pastry shop. I don't know how much is too much, maybe when you are sickened, but not before.

Burning: correctly slow, burns in a perfect way.

Best Briars: another little problem: don't use your precious EM dedicated briars, it leaves a not bad but persistent ghost scent.

Well, I'm not an aro tobacco fanatic by sure, but sometimes a good room note is pleasant and useful... If you like aromatics, try it. Two stars and a bit more than half.

Purchased From: Switzerland

Lebanese Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lebanese (2)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

As I started pipe smoking a year ago,the only tobacco which I smoked was Capt.Black white.It was recommended for me by my dad who was a pipe smoker in the early 80s.He told to smoke it because its mild with low nicotine level.On the personal level,I liked it first but then after a while it became more of a disgusting tobacco for me.There are plenty of better aromatics than CB white.I recommend it for beginners who are just starting to learn the noble art of pipe smoking as for me there are still many things to know but not with Capt.Black white although I received 6 pouches from a friend of mine.I still smoke it every now and then,but not on my list.I smoke it when there is no other thing to smoke.

ManMeetsPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ManMeetsPipe (4)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

By the Numbers: Flavor: 2/4 Burn: 3.75/4 Room Note: 4/4 Value: 2.5/4 Average Score: 3.0625 = * (minus one, see below)

I had not planned on trying Captain Black, but since I found out I could contact Scandinavian Tobacco Group for a free sample, I gave it a whirl. The three main things Captain Black White (CBW) has going for it are as follows: 1) It has a great room note. 2) It produces smoke like a pot-bellied dragon. 3) You can find it anywhere. In terms of flavor, this blend offers very little to my pallet. While there is nothing in the flavor that is very offensive, there is also nothing that impresses. Aside from the hard-to- describe, kind of leafy-tangy, run-of-the-mill tobacco flavor, there is, perhaps, just the faintest hint of sweetness. I would note, however, that my pallet does not seem to pick up on sweetness in pipe tobacco very well. Nevertheless, there is certainly more sweetness in the air around you than in your mouth when you smoke Captain Black. I would also note that there is a kind of ashy aftertaste to this blend that, while it is not terrible, it is kind of "blagh." On a side note, it is a little goopy. While smoking, my pipe cleaner would come out of the stem much more brown than with my typical tobaccos. Also, CBW does irritate the mouth and throat a bit. To my tastes, there is nothing really going on in CBW that is not going on in less expensive, finer tobaccos. It's not terrible, but it's not great. For those looking into entering the hobby, you could request a free sample (if they are still running this promotion, that is), buy a Missouri Meerschaum pipe, buy some pipe cleaners, and use a wide-head screw for a tamper. Doing so, you could try pipe smoking for $8 or less. But, unless you are trying Captain Black for free, I would go with something else. I am new to the hobby and cannot make too many recommendations, but I find Boswell's Best to be a tobacco in the same realm as CBW that is 1) less expensive, 2) less irritating, 3) less goopy, and 4) has a cleaner after-taste. Also, I understand that RLP-6 from Lane Limited is essentially CBW without preservatives. I cannot speak to that as I have not tried RLP-6, but when you can get RLP-6 for less than $2.50 per ounce, the value kind of blows CBW out of the water even if it is not quite the same. In short, CBW is not bad, but it's not great either. You could do better with something less expensive. As my numbers above indicate, by itself CBW would earn a low three stars. But, as a consumer, I have to take back one star to reflect that the buyer can do better for less. Sorry, Captain.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don't usually smoke drug store blends and these are Just My first impressions.

Capt black gold was my first tobacco, and I hated it. It ate my tongue, gave me a headache, and didnt taste like anything. But still, it made an impression on me, and till this day I think of the capt black smell as the pipe smell.

I just picked up a pouch of white after contemplating it for over a month. No way I thought at first, for honestly, it is not that cheap. I figured I can put that money towards "real tobacco". But, I am very glad I bought it!

For some reason, fall time is aromatic time for me. Also, after going on a nearly year long english extravaganza, and a more recent cornell and diehl english exploration, I am taking it easy on the heavy blends for a while, and focusing on the more simple ones. I have now been smoking long enough to notice that, unintentialy, my tastes change in an almost circular rhythm. And, Captain black white is very pleasing to my present mood.

Anyway, it smells like toasted marshmallows and vanilla, and tastes similar. The taste is not very strong, and you can sort of forget about it. It is not too overly sweet. Many straight virginia blends, and even some english blend are sweeter. I am not sure how old my pouch is, but the tobacco was very, very dry inside of it. Perhaps the seam broke, but it was still wrapped in plastic. Overall good smoke for what it is. Burns great, smokes great, just a little hot if you smoke too fast, and it stays lit forever.

Definitely worth a try.

tados Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tados (3)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great smoke to share with an other friend who starts smoking the pipe, it's neutral, kind of fruity, cheap and it smells great in the pouch. But if you're searching for and everyday smoke, it's not really that.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Captain Black White:

I wasn't crazy about it, but I never was fond of aromatics.

Having said that, this blend is not the worst aromatic blend I've tried. Paladin Black Cherry gets that distinction. Nor is CB White the worst OTC blend I've tried. Velvet gets the nod, there.

I agree with MagnusMaximus' excellent review: for what it is, Captain Black is fine. Certainly comparable with many other higher-priced aros I've tried from Boswell, for example.

If you like aromatics, chances are you'll like this blend.

I won't buy it again. If I want to smoke something sweet, I'll smoke Classic Burley Kake.

Very Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I finally finished the big tub I purchased in November, a day or two before rifle season started. I had just started smoking a pipe a month and a half earlier when bow season started. Had a pouch of this and thought it didn't get any better than this. After trying some other blends my interest started to fade.

Eventually it became too sweet, and taking the advice of someone below, I mixed with Carter Hall and this became my hunting staple for deer season 2011. I am happy to be through with it, however, and look forward to smoking something different this year in the tree. I will not repurchase this as I have discovered some aromatics that I enjoy more than this.

I will say somewhat recommended and only to a beginner who does not know where to start, but once the direction is found. You notice the chemical taste and a cloying odor that even a long shower has difficulty displacing.

whippersnapper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whippersnapper (6)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I tried this tobacco just the other day for the first time. The room note is excellent but as far as taste goes,it just isn't there. Completely undetectable. Not just of the flavoring, but also of the tobacco. I need that tobacco flavor in a brand. It was as if I were puffing on an empty bowl but still getting smoke. I even smoked it in several different pipes including a cob, but that didn't make the slightest bit of difference. I gave this two stars and the only reason I gave it an extra star was because of it's very pleasant room note and aroma.

The brand does have a few redeeming qualities however. I would strongly recommend this tobacco to anyone new to pipe smoking and/or someone who has no prior experience with smoking tobacco in general. It also would be ideal for anyone smoking at say a family gathering or event, and is very unlikely to be offensive to anyone odor wise. This blend would also be suitable for blending.

Hate to give such a classic brand such a low rating, but 2 stars it is.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

After having a right old moan about not being able to get Captain Black in the UK I actually got some from Germany, followed by the other two blends as a swap from a kind chap in the USA.

Was it worth busting a gut to lay hands on ?

Well, yes and no.

It's what I call a 'friendly' blend. What I mean by this is although it isn't a major player in the aromatics field in terms of taste and room note, I find myself reaching again and again for this stuff in between my pipe rotation.

It isn't a sickly chemical brew like some or a nasty biter like some of McBaren's horrors.

Yet there is something about it that draws you. Whether it's that slightly sweet caramel taste or the easy load straight from the pouch I'm not sure.

I've heard it likened to McBaren's Seven Seas blend, and I have to say it is very similar. That's true ; this isn't a million miles away.

I thought I might get bored of this blend but I'm halfway through the pack and still returning for a bowlful.

It's something of a favourite on here and now I can see why, without really nailing down the reason.

It should be interesting to see what the other blends in this range are like.

If you are a UK smoker and want to try this blend you won't be disappointed if you manage to track this blend down. If you can't then buy Seven Seas.

PaulMcCoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PaulMcCoy (3)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

If you smoke aromatics you should love this one. The aroma is fantastic. Marshmallow, and maybe vanilla? I haven't had the opportunity to smell this from someone else's pipe yet. Burns very nice and even. I've never had to relight with this tobacco. On the down side It's tasteless. It costs a little too much where I'm from, about seven bucks, and there is some bite to it if you're not careful. I might buy it again if I'm feeling nostalgic. Id definitely give it a four in the aroma department, but I need to taste something.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Everyone loves the way Captain Black smells...I think that is well documented.

It is good quality tobacco, but the cloying sweetness of this blend gets to me after awhile.

I like to blend 1 part CBW to 4 parts H&H. I spread it out and let it dry overnight and then jar it. As with all good mixtures it brings out the highlights of both tobaccos while masking the faults.

Happy sailing.

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (22)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

About two years ago as I was transitioning form cigars to pipes I was able to sample CBs Regular on a hunting trip. I was really impressed! Now that my horizions have expanded a bit and have ventured into other blends that have more appeal I can still say that CB's wasnt that bad, and a good introduction as far as im concerned. Has some tounge bite and so, so taste but the aromatic aspect more that makes up for it. Recommended especially for someone just entering pipe smoking.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

If you like aromatics, this is all right, I suppose; if you don't like aromatics (and I don't), you won't like this. It's a black Cavendish blend with a fairly obtrusive casing. If it's supposed to taste of whiskey, I don't get it. Personally, I found it hot and thought it tasted ordinary and cheap, nor did I much care for the room note that other people seem so inclined to praise. Same with the pouch note: I don't see why tobacco should smell of anything except tobacco. It burnt quickly, but I don't mind the fact that a bowl of it is soon over. Maybe I smoked it too quickly; also, my sample was rather dry.

CBW is an example of the kind of tobacco invented back in the day when manufacturers wanted to attract younger pipe smokers who didn't want to be associated with the traditional type of old codger tobacco; hence the novelty room note that these 'juvenile' blends tend to have. It seems to be a cheap and cheerful smoke in the USA, sold everywhere. In the UK, there's no such thing as a cheap tobacco, and it isn't particularly easy to get hold of. I tried it out of curiosity, but I wouldn't buy it again. I'm aware, though, that I'm probably being unfair (if you don't like aromatics, why review an aromatic blend?); so I'll say “somewhat recommended,” because there are lots of aro smokers out there whom this would probably suit as an all day smoke. I can't understand why anyone likes stuff like this, but I know they do. For what it is, then, and if you take it slowly, it's not too bad. Certainly, as an aro, it's a world away from some of the Borkum Riff horrors.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the pouch.

Similar Blends: Quite a few gimmicky aromatics of the same type.

Pokey Nipple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pokey Nipple (7)

I'm recommending this as opposed to highly recommending it because there's something a little insipid about it. I smoked a bowl of this last night, but was pretty buzzed. Struck me as a little insipid. I have smoked it sober as a judge and it struck as a little insipid then, too.

It's a vanilla, I think. Lane's BCA is much better. I'm somewhat recommending it because I think all pipe tobaccos deserve a chance, pretty much. Life is too short not to smoke a pipe.

polaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
polaris (9)

Nice blend. Easy to find. Soft to the tongue, burns evenly. Nice option for a beginner.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Best of all CB line but not good enough to get 1 more positive review

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (38)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I forgot my pouch recently and stopped in a "Shop-N-Rob" on my way to see what they had for pipe tobacco. There among the thousands of packages and cartons of cigarettes, way back behind the rolling papers, blunt wrappers, roach clips and glass crack pipes was a display box of Capt. Black white. I bought it for some ridicules price and went to my truck. I pulled open the pouch and was hit by the most god-awful smell of chemicals, PPG and who knows what else. I knew I couldn't smoke this as-is so I spread it out on a newspaper to air out and dry out. Three hours later (after sitting in my parked truck in the hot sun) I checked it. Barely dry enough to smoke, I packed it up and set fire to it. The first puff was bad and it got worse from there. I am not a tobacco snob, I will smoke darn near anything that will pass for tobacco.....Capt. Black white does not. The actual component tobaccos are probably not that bad, but their treatment of those tobaccos borders on criminal. It leaves a really bad taste in your mouth, stinks up your olfactory so it is all you can smell and flavors your pipe severely as well. Steer clear unless you are trying to stop smoking (this stuff will help in that respect, you won't want to smoke if this is all you have!) I wish there was a "ZERO STARS" recommendation for "you gotta be kidding me" Try at you own peril!

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (20)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This was my very first pipe tobacco many years ago. If sipped gently past mid-bowl, it does offer a nice taste of licorice or vanilla to my mind. Of course, the room note is very pleasant and sure to get compliments in public or from the non-smoking public in general. Someone said the Capn' Black aroma is a "Lady Magnet" and I must concur. But to be honest, Capn' Black (White) has VERY little taste to it. You could say that you can barely tell if your smoking tobacco. This is as far as you can get from a good English or Balkan blend, or a Va/Per flake. Nevertheless my mood sometimes brings me back to Capn Black (White) since its so readily available, and relatively cheap. Again, if sipped it does offer a nice taste, although very mild with no backbone or any real tobacco flavor to it at all. I don't notice any "goop", and for an aromatic it does burn to an OK fine ash. I tried cutting it 3:1 with an English blend such as GL Pease Westminster to give it some flavor, and while interesting it is by no means a vast improvement. Be sure to try it at least once, who knows, you may end up liking it a great deal. I know some smokers who do. Two and a half stars only from me. Cheers,

Update August 2010: Aromatics are known for using cheap Cavendish and Burley tobaccos as a base for the strong sugar-based casing that typifies the blend. And Capn' Black (White) is no exception. For those of you who enjoy Capn' Black (White) but want more of a tobacco taste, or perhaps more taste than that afforded by the cheap Cavendish and Burleys this is for you: Why not attempt an "Aromatic Balkan". I add in a 1:1 ratio Capn' Black to Balkan Sasieni (the 16 oz. from Cup O Joes rather than the original blend of Balkan Sasieni from Peter Stokkebye Tobaksfabrik A/S - the latter is good as is on its own). The blend from Cup O Joes approximates but does not replace the original in my opinion. Although not an aromatic smoker (I prefer English and Balkan blends almost exclusively, with a little take of Pressed Aged Virginias from McClellen or sometimes Escudo in a group 2 Dunhill), I have always had a soft spot for ol' Capn' Black (White) from my early rambling days in the high desert. I would recommend this 1:1 Capn' Black (White) : Balkan Sasieni (16 oz from Cup O Joes) to anyone, who wants the sweetness of Capn' Black (White) but also appreciates the depth of the Virginia and Orientals afforded by the Balkan Sasieni. In short, the latter replaces the bland Cavendish and Burleys background of Capn' Black. Try it yourself and let me know what you think.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my old stand by, when I can't get my favorites I'll buy this, you could call it roughing it, that's what I call it! but it gets me by!

Newbie2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie2010 (18)
Mild Very Strong Very Mild Overwhelming

I read the reviews here and how everyone heralds this and I went out to the local grocery store and purchased a pouch for a little over $7. I'm sorry I did, too, because I could have bought too many other kinds of tobacco, far better than this one, for less than that price. Hell, I could have just about bought two pouches of the Prince Albert that was right next to it with $7. This certainly did not and will never go into any of my briars. I smoked it in a cob. It's very wet out of the pouch, so I let it air out a bit. It packs well, lights well, but I'm not sure what the 3-star fuss is about. It produces a lot of smoke and a room note that goes from pleasant to sickeningly sweet to overwhelming. In fact, I open my "cellar" (closet) door where my I keep my tobacco and I can smell Captain Black. And you would think with that aroma there would be some kind of flavor. There are hints of it, but with that room note in your nose, you would be hard pressed to taste anything. I hate to say it, but I think this pouch is destined for the trash. Don't waste your money.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

There definitely seems to be a lot of nostalgia about this blend, but I can see how this stuff might make for some sweet memories. The first pipe I smoked was Borkum Riff, I think it was bourbon flavor. I didn't touch another pipe for 20 years. You guys who started out on Captain Black were the lucky ones.

CB White is a notch above most drug store tobacco. It's not complex or subtle, but it's actually surprisingly tasty. Smells delicious. Simple, Sweet & Cheap. Nuff Said! However, good or bad, life's too short for drugstore tobacco. Support your local (or online) tobacconist, and do yourself a favor.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my tobacco for when I am in a pinch. The availability of this tobacco is high and the price is wonderful. I can smoke it anytime. It is not bad to me, although a great man once said it tasted like sawdust. To each his own right?

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (18)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell conjures up memories of my grandfather. Inherited a large tin from an uncle. I really wanted to like this, but there is a sharp taste to it that I just cannot learn to love. Maybe that is the whiskey. It will bite and my wife is not enamoured of the room note. Easily lit and easy to keep lit. OK once in a while, but there are better aromatics out there in the same price range.

nesta Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nesta (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco is an easy target: you can buy it in groceries and gas stations, it's cheap, and it's an aromatic. "Real" pipe smokers like something more refined - even if that means a nearly identical tinned aromatic with a less well known name and higher price point.

This isn't a masterpiece. That said, it smokes cool and I find it smokes relatively dry. It has a pleasant taste to it, and it has an insanely pleasant room note. I never find it biting, and despite people referring to it as "goopy" it doesn't gum up my pipe and it burns well right out of the pouch. It is relatively affordable, and if you're in search of a full vanilla-ish aromatic, you'll be hard pressed to find one that is significantly better than this. There are a few that are it's equal, and a few that surpass it, but for the category I don't think it's outdone to a significant degree by many blends at all.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

Smells great in the pouch, but nothing more. You can do a lot better with one of C&D's aromatics for the same price. Check out their Captain Cool beld, Very similar in smell but altogether better. Don't waste your money or brier on this unless you; well, like it.

Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Ahhh the captain. Makes me feel like Fletcher Christian: Captain Bligh seemed like a friendly fellow until you took a long voyage with him, but then out from under the pleasant exterior, he would always be snapping at you. And don't mess with his breadfruits! I like the smell in the pouch and the taste (at first), but it becomes intolerable as I smoke it and I usually can't finish the bowl-have to throw him overboard. The flavoring is pleasant at the outset, but becomes progressively more and more artificial and goopy. There seems to me to be some delayed-reaction tongue bite as well. I would recommend Gold as a better choice with this brand.

Cantrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantrell (14)

I picked up a pouch of this at my local pipe shop and tried it in a Cobb right away. the flavor was downright unpleasant.

came back to it a few days later after stuffing it in a glass jar to let it breath, and tried it in my favorite brier. What a different experience; very smooth and buttery taste with a great room aroma, nothing to call home about but a well rounded smoke non the less.

For some reason I cannot stop smoking this stuff, yet Im not too impressed with the flavor. what the heck is going on here? nico content seemed mild enough...

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I picked up a pouch of this on a whim from Wally World because I started with Royal when I first started with pipes. The aroma is somewhat similar to its Royal cousin. I usually put room note as pleasant if it does not drive my wife inside running in terror. We even had a conversation while I was smoking some earlier. I find the taste smooth for a "drug store" brand. Not a bad change of pace from the English blends I have been smoking of late. I would recommend this over the other styles in the Captain Black series to get started in this great hobby of ours. All in all, I am pleasantly surprised at how good this does seem to be.

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In the case of CBW, it is hard for me to divorce nostalgia from objectivity as I associate the aroma of this tobacco with childhood--this being the blend my dad smoked. That said, I feel that this is the most agreeable of the Cpt Black series and I will still pick it up on occasion. It is a favorable aromatic and a decent introductory smoke for the beginner...although it has, in my experience, tended to burn wet.

Edit: After a many year hiatus from this blend, I picked up some CBW after visiting the corncob pipe factory in Washington, MO. Having given up smoking for the most part, I found myself without any tobacco so I "relapsed" and purchased CBW. You know what, if it's smoked slowly, sipped, it's a pleasant smoke. A sweet (probably from the PG) anise/licorice aroma with a very agreeable room note makes this blend tolerable. Yes, it tastes like, well, nothing, but it's other qualities redeem this classic blend IMHO. Smoke this in a pipe reserved for aromatics or one of your "knock around" pipes.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Captain Black White is the second of the Captain Black line that I've tried (Royal was my first-- please refer to review). This is THE most ubiquitous pipe tobacco available in my area. In a few cases, it is the only pipe tobacco the store sells. I had to break down and try a pouch.

I like the basic, but quite classic look of the pouch. The tobacco itself is extremely moist, with a light and dark ribbon cut mixture. Smells fantastic, and is very sticky on the fingers. Drying it out awhile doesn't seem to help much. I'm told that I-Q is the bulk version of this, but the I-Q I've had is not much like this (perhaps it's actually the bulk version of Royal). Upon lighting, you get pretty good flavor, close to the way it smells. It's a challenge to keep lit, and will bite if drawn on too hard or often. Decent smoke volume, great room note, but not a ton of "smoking satisfaction" for the experience pipe smoker-- nicotine level seems almost non-existent.

I like this stuff-- it would appear that a lot of people do. It's great for a once in awhile smoke, or as something to smoke around others, who WILL like this smell. It's nice to know it's there as an available choice when you want it. Just be sure and smoke it in a dedicated aromatic pipe or a cob.

Extremely Mild Very Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Captain Black (white) is definitely a delicious smoke with a good nutty/chocolaty sweet undertone and it is easy to pack and smoke with delightful room note, good burley flavor and a consistent quality, I like to buy a pouch of this from time to time and I would recommend the same to anyone.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

It looks like tobacco, but it does not taste nor smell like tobacco. For those who happen to be around while we're smoking it, the aroma is divine; for those who actually puff it, it's taste is very much OK ? but hasn't even the slightest resemblance with the flavor of proper /Nicotiana tabacum/. I'd rather say that it tastes like vanilla marshmallow vapour?

I'll keep a pouch of this at hand, just to please the lady visitors when I'm in a hurry to smoke and don't intend to harm them with a proper tobacco-like tobacco's aroma?

Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I have smoked Captain Black White on and off over the years because I think it has one of the best room note aromas of any tobacco I have ever smelled. That rates it 4 stars from the perspective of the non-smoker. However, I never appreciated it all that much since it had little taste and flavor, and smoked too wet with residual dottle. I give it 2 stars based on this. Why did I pick it up again from time to time after having given it up? It was that fantastic room note. If I had another pipe smoker in the house, I'd be tempted to pick up a pouch and have them to smoke it just so I could smell it again!

2.5 stars for me when all is said and done.

UPDATE 12-29-09: According to the description for CB White in the Dan Tobacco Catalog, CB White is now blended in Denmark: "As close to the original as possible - Made in Denmark under license." Perhaps this is why I have noticed a change in cut as well as taste. I believe Orlik to be the manufacturer. Before Orlik changed their website, they had it listed and described the flavoring to be that of vanilla, chocolate, and licorice. No whiskey whatsoever was mentioned. They also blend a Black Cavendish No. 1 in a 100 gram tin with the same design as CB White against the white background with gold border. They also listed the ingredients similarly. The new Orlik link takes you to the Scandanavian Tobacco Group (STG) and the Black Cavendish No. 1 is now listed under the Stanwell brand. The flavoring is listed as vanilla and caramel. There is no longer a pouch listing for the CB White, nor is Orlik mentioned anywhere on the new site as a blender. The original Orlik site had a great variety of blends that they manufactured and only a few of them (not even half of what was originally listed) are listed on the STG page under the Stanwell label. Very confusing to say the least!

UPDATE 1-18-17: Bought another pouch for old time's sake as I also purchased some CB Copper and RLP-6 for comparison (see my reviews of those offerings). For me, still the best of the CBs as far as pouch smell but still tasteless, unfortunately. Also has the best room note of all of the CBs in my opinion. If they could only figure a way of getting it to taste like that room note!

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

my first rated and most frequently smoked between captain black line. jet black cavendish with sweet taste to it and a very friendly aroma. packs very easily and burn clean if smoked slowly (however dottles will be there no matter how slow you smoke). pair nicely with chocolate, coffee or even tea. if you are to dive into captain black tobacco make sure you pick this one up as a control group. similar to lane smoker pride black cavendish with a little more topping to it.

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

The previous review says it all. I smoke it when the occasion includes non-smokers. Everyone loves the aroma, so my job is done!

Update: Well, after experimenting with higher grade tobaccos and better pipes, I don't think I'll ever purchase this again! Not to say one shouldn't try this blend but one would find that it is purely an aromatic and nothing more. It's like drinking a wine because it smells like...well, I guess it would just smell like wine. But anyways, there is no FLAVOR to this tobacco and FLAVOR has become the crucial characteristic I look/taste for in tobaccos I choose to explore. Changed to 2 stars for this reason.

SirGawain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirGawain (5)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Let me say at the outset that I really enjoy CBW. I have been a pipe smoker for 20 years, and although I have several declared favorite "luxury blends," this is the one inexpensive and readily available one I find myself reaching for again and again. Yes, it's a "drugstore blend." This is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm a writer and editor, and the words "drugstore blend" mean it's pretty readily available in a drugstore. Judging a tobacco based on wide availability is like saying you don't drink Pepsi from vending machines if you can get it at a grocery store. Give me a break. Most of the reviewers here have been honest and open-minded; however, they few that have bashed some "drugstore blends" because you can get them without spending $5 an ounce at one particular tobacconist absolutely KILL me. Are we rating tobaccos here, or are we voting on inductees into our local A.F.& A.M. Lodge?

Anyway, on to the tobacco. No, this isn't very complex at all, but the beauty of this tobacco is the consistent quality of simple flavor, pouch after pouch, can after can. No matter where I get it from or when I open it, I know what I'm gonna get...a simple, honest, good-quality, old-fashioned smoke. It's a necessity in mixed company, and in my two decades of pipe-smoking, I've never had one complaint from CBW. It has a delicious room note, and if I had a nickel for every time an attractive woman came up to me in a restaurant or lounge and started up a conversation with me simply because she liked the smell of what I was smoking, I could afford a Tsuge for every day of the year.

I smoke this blend in what I prefer to smoke most: no-nonsense, blasted Meers like Manx, Pioneer, Barling, etc., and it's a beautiful, well-behaved smoke. If it smokes "wet" for you, dry it out. I'm not crazy about humectants, either, but let's face it, folks...they're almost a GIVEN in the hobby today, unless you grow, cure, stove, and blend your own leaf. Anyone who smokes CBW and complains about things like a wet smoke and tongue bite doesn't really know how to smoke a pipe correctly...and no, just because you've been smoking one for years doesn't mean you know how to do it optimally. Every tobacco is different, to an extent, and one has to learn how to take advantage of subtle differences in smoking qualities. And yes, even "drugstore blends" can have subtle smoking qualities. If packed and lit and smoked correctly, CBW will provide a consistently smooth, cool, dry, well-behaved smoke. For me, this one smokes down to a dry, powdery grey ash. No dottle at all. It does impart essence to briars rather quickly, so if you like this one, dedicate one briar to the Captain exclusively and keep it clean and maintained. Or smoke it in a cob or a real pipe-smoker's Meer, like me. This one provides a consistent smoke regardless of the shape of the pipe, too, which I find I like very much.

No, this isn't Pipeworks & Wilke's Rumcake or #191, both of which I love. But the girlfriend, a confirmed anti-smoker, loves the room note and never complains. That's reason enough right there to keep the White Captain at hand, in my humble opinion.

I've never recommended this to a newbie and have them put off the pipe habit because of it. This is a great smoke for beginners and experienced pipesters alike. I like this one while I'm writing...I can enjoy my habit while doing so and concentrate on the words...not on a high-maintenance bowl.

Sign on with the Captain, even occasionally. You'll be glad you did.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

I pretty much started out my pipe smoking with the Royal version of Capt. Black. I have to say that I prefer the Royal over this stuff. This has too much topping for my taste, and for that matter, it's one of the reasons I no longer smoke the Royal blend anymore either. I bought a pouch of this, and I'll probably finish it off, but it's not something I will be buying again. I found my personal favorite OTC blend in, Carter Hall. But if you like a really sugary, vanilla flavored tobacco, you might like this. It's fairly mild, but too sweet for my palette.

Randy W...

Update: One thing I've come to a conclusion about, is that my taste buds must be doing some kind of flip-flop, when it comes to tobacco flavors. I recently bought another pouch of this tobacco from my favorite tobacconist, and he must have gotten a really fresh batch of the White Blend. The flavors were outstanding. Mild yet flavorful. This last batch was really very very good. I'm down to the last bit in this pouch, and I'm definitely wanting more. Go Figure! Makes me wonder how it tastes coming from the tub?

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Though there is nothing particularly complex about the blend, it is significant in that Lane Limited and the Captain Black line are the most widely available in the world. Primarily a Burley/Va Cavendish blend, it has a vanilla over note that everyone recognizes. Mild to medium in flavor, I recommend this to every smoker.

It was the first tobacco I smoked over 20 years ago when taking up the pipe. I still keep it around in bulk and break it out to reset my taste buds. It is also my go-to tobacco when breaking in a pipe as it creates cake in no time.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Unfortunately this is not really good. It tastes of chemicals more than vanilla or tobacco. Evil, wicked bite lurks in the second half of a bowl of this.

I smoked this and borkum riff whiskey (very putrid also) when I was first picking up the pipe years ago because it was easy to find. So I guess you know I don't reccomend it to anyone who likes a good tasting chemical free smoke. If you like to smoke only because others think it smells good you might find it useful.

I'll stick to my Mcclelland's. I'll pass on this one.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Near the beginning of my pipe smoking I went through a pouch of this, but found the moisture, the difficulty of keeping the tobacco lit, the acridity towards the latter part of the bowl and discomfort to the tongue too much to handle.

Recently I was caught in a situation where declining a bowl would have caused offence, so I tried it again. Somethings never change.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The only think I really like in this one is the rum taste and the sweet room aroma! Apart from that nothing really special going on in this one...Its a tobacco for the bystanders to enjoy but not for the smoker himself...

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A'hoy There, Tis Captain Black...But be not afraid, For this tobacco has'th no spunk....aye, tis smells like a dream, it does. but be not fooled, for ye shall be plundered of dignity when ye smoke'th it. yon Tobacco shalt be cast to the briny deep.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Yup. That's tobacco.... Excellent room note; fair flavor. Not amazing by any stretch, but pretty good, and smokeable any time. I have a bunch of it set aside for when the mood strikes me. (And for the record: the mood doesn't strike too often.) The casing comes through to the point of almost being overpowering. My personal thoughts are that this is best when blended with something else. However, if you're interested in getting complimented on the room note, then this is a great choice. Everyone downwind seems to like this. Smells great in the pouch, too. The aftermath of this weed is the sensation of one's mouth being laminated with whatever they used to flavor it as well as the PG used to keep it moist (I have a can a year old that's still too wet for my taste.)

Long on presentation, short on delivery. A mediocre tabac at best. Definitely better blends out there at a better price.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Mild, slightly sweet very little flavor discernable to this puffer. Perhaps this reviewer has been smoking more heavily flavored aromatics for so long that my taste buds have been overloaded but I just cannot detect much flavor in this blend, for me much too bland. On the plus side no bite and great room note. I can see where this would likely be a great blend for those new to pipes, but beyond that I don?t get its wild popularity.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The perfect tobacco for somebody else to smoke when you don't feel like smoking, or to smoke when you're not in the mood and you're not likely to enjoy RLP-6 either.

The woody flavor is too strong for me, but it's nice for a bowl now and then. Tongue bite is low for such a strong flavoring, and it burns nice and cool, with low to none moisture. High quality for the price.

Again, its strong point is the room note. Hardly matchable.

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Being a longtime fan of aromatic tobaccos it is fitting that I write my first review for Captain Black. Regular Captain Black, or Captain Black White, is a staple tobacco in my collection because it has provided a consistently pleasurable experience for many years. Mild to (perhaps) medium in overall tobacco strength, the feature that sold me on Captain Black years ago when first starting off was the flavor. Vanilla and sweet. I wanted (and still desire) pipe tobaccos that have sweet flavorings, and Captain Black answered the call.

I learned later on, while smoking other very sweet aromatic tobaccos, that tongue bite is a serious problem with some blends, however I have not found this to be true with Captain Black White. If smoked steadily and slowly, the Captain produces a consistent vanilla flavor without much bite at all, in my experience, and a room note that everyone loves (in fact, I find it is sweeter to smell than it is to smoke).

While tobacco snobs may put their nose up to this flavored blend, its popularity and availability throughout America is testament to its fine qualities and universal appeal.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Here's the deal, if you can get Lane's 1Q, do it because it is better due to the lack of humectants and all that jazz. But if you can't, and you are going to smoke an over the counter drug store tobacco, pick this one. Captain Black is good, period. Sure, it tastes like vanilla and chocolate and is heavily cased but it is the best widely available tobacco. Much better produced and easier on the palate than Borkum riff, Prince Albert, and the like. Stick with the Captain, it will be smooth sailing.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I usually have a pouch of this somewhere, stuck in the back of a closet or in my glove compartment, for those rare moods in which I'm craving this particular blend (usually for nostalgia reasons, or when I've managed to fry my tongue on VA-based blends and I'm not in the mood for Carter Hall or Prince Albert). It IS a classic, even if folks like me to tend to disparage it on most days. It's the quintessential drugstore aromatic, and I still know people who've never tried anything but this. It's probably the most inoffensive offering on the market -- just about everyone likes the room note, it has surprisingly little bite for this type of mixture, and it burns well. But using the term "inoffensive" here is damning with faint praise -- there's not much to recommend this blend, IMO, although it does have its uses.

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (26)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

When you are out and about and run out... of smoking 'baccy you can always depend on The Captain to see you home. The beauty of this blend is you can find it anywhere, it inexpensive,its smokes cool, smoke it all day if you so choose, The ladies love the room note. The downside, If you like a big hit of nicotene then it is not for you. if I was starting all over with the Pipe I would learn with the Captain. I always keep some handy and reach for it a coupla times a week. An old standby hoo-boy

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I remember the Old Yankees coach , the infamous Billy Martin, doing a television commercial for this blend when I was just a kid. I remembered Billy , though when I came of age and started smoking a pipe. I purchased my first pouch of Captain Black because of that commercial I?m sure. There is really no telling how many pouches of this tobacco I have smoked since 1983 but there have been many. I remember a tobacconist telling me that he had the bulk replacement for this in a jar, but it was not the same. Yes it is just a ?drug store blend ? but it has to be the most consistent tobacco in the most well recognized pouch in the world today. And you know, it is very good. I have graduated to English blends and now prefer my aromatics when I smoke them to come from C&D and McClelland. But I have to tip my hat to the old standard where it all began for me. This is what I gauge a vanilla blend by, and there is no doubt that whatever they put in here for the room note is magic. I?ve thought of putting it in a potpourri burner just because people seem to just eat it up. If they took it off of the shelves I would be mortified. I rarely visit my old friend the captain anymore, however the memories are great, and I must say, if my wife had here way- it would be all I ever smoked.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Captain Black (white) is the tobacco that represents what a pipe is supposed to smell like, this is what most of the old timers smoked when I was a kid and therefore it gives the aroma of PIPE more than any other blend to my nose. I smoked CB almost exclusively for the first couple of years I smoked a pipe and it still has the taste and room note that brings back fond memories of my childhood.

I have found better tobaccos now and there are certainly better quality vanilla aromatics out there, such as MacBaren's Vanilla Cream. However, I still keep a tub of Captain Black around for times when I want to reminisce about the past or for times when we have company over, as no other tobacco says PIPE quite as universally as the Captain.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Purchased From: Local smoke shop

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

For many a year I smoked this, having been seduced by the room note. My wife felt it was more acceptable than my prior favourite, Balkan Sobranie. It is an easy smoke, and mild enough to puff as hard as you want. The White pouch was the nicest to me, with a vanilla/coconut scent that was so more-ish. The others, gold and blue, didn't do much for me at all. With the passage of years I find non-aromatics more interesting and satisfying.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I was at the Supermarket and had meant to pick some of this stuff up for quite a while, given its popularity and generally positive reviews. Since I've only smoked one other aromatic, I'll have to compare it to that--Nat Sherman 509, Dark Cavendish--which is the worst of the worst, in my opinion.

I found Captain Black to be generally dry, not caked in syrup like 509, and though certainly strong, not overbearing in tin aroma. It was mild, didn't gunk up my pipe or smoke wet, and was actually very pleasing. The added Burley provided a nice little punch that was much welcome.

I had such low expectations for this stuff that I couldn't help but be surprised. As for value, I got home and checked the receipt, and noticed that I was charged $7.99! Damn that bloody Ralph's...I have to start pricing tobacco before I buy it. What a rip..but I would pick it up again at $3.99, which appears to be the going internet rate.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild to Medium Strong Very Mild Pleasant

I believe the time has come for someone to do a comparison of the Captain Black line of pipe tobaccos from Lane limited. I have decided not to review the Red or Cherry Flavor as it is so different from the others and if you like cherry then you do, if not then only the others are relevant. This leaves:

Royal ( dark blue pouch ), Light ( light blue pouch ), Gold ( golden pouch ) Captain Black or ?Captain Black White? ( white pouch ).

Light ( light blue pouch ) :

The pouch says carefully selected tobaccos. It is a fine ribbon cut of toast colored light tobaccos. The tobacco is the driest to the touch of all the CB and also has the least noticeable pouch aroma ( which is still strong. It is still the same CB smell with an almost yogurt like quality or mildness to it. OK this stuff burns like an oil soaked rag. Produces a decent but short lived smoke and tastes of almost nothing and just kind of dries the pallet. The room note is perhaps the least pleasant of the CB but this is still within the famous pleasant room note of CB barely but not unpleasant. This is so light that it is probably the only one of the CB series that I could actually recommend to the novice as an almost non smoke ( I think one should try something like an English first as it bites less and will develop better skills so I wouldn?t recommend any CB to the novice, but hey whatever ). I personally wont finish the entire pouch or keep this stuff around. Burns to salt and pepper ash and leaves small black dottle in bottom of bowl. Somewhat harsh on the mouth more so than the other CB at least for me. The worst of the CB for me.

Gold ( golden pouch ) :

The pouch says matured golden Cavendish tobaccos. It is a fine golden ribbon cut. Not as dry to the touch as the Light but still somewhat drier than the others. It is however now getting sticky as are the others with exception of the Light. Same CB pouch aroma but stronger than the Light and weaker than the others. It boarders on that mellow yogurt like roundness to the aroma and the more overwhelming aroma of the other CB flavors. This stuff burns like wild fire, smoke is in good quantity but once again dry and short lasting somewhat aggressive on the pallet and hot. Light and I would recommend it over the actual Light as it has some flavor key work is some. Now we get that famous CB room note in a stronger sense. Once again small moist black dottle and a more salt than pepper salt and pepper ash. Better than the Light but worse than all the other CB for me. Won?t finish it or keep it around.

Captain Black or ?Captain Black White? ( white pouch ) :

The Pouch says rich black Cavendish and mellowed burleys. It is a kind of ribbon cut but shot and stubby. This is the stickiest of all the CB. An overwhelming pouch aroma the strongest of the CB. That famous killer room note and also somewhat harsh on the gums. Burns relatively well fore such a wet feel. Decent smoke but not heavy or very thick. I think of all the CB this is the most common and if only drug store brands are available and the Royal is not stocked then this is an acceptable alternative. The old standard is just that an old standard and will be around forever. I say give it a try once. I won?t keep it around but might smoke a few bowls of it since I have the pouch here.

Royal ( dark blue pouch ),

The Pouch says aromatic black and golden Cavendish. A ribbon cut of black and golden Cavendish. Somewhat sticky to the touch but not as much as the white. A good burn and decent smoke but not heavy and doesn?t last. The pouch aroma is strong but not as overwhelming as the white. Good room note with that expected CB smell. I think this is the best of the CB series. An acceptable smoke and the better of the drugstore finds. I wouldn?t pass up some GLPease for it but if nothing else is around I would reach for this over the others on the local hardware store shelves. I guess give it a try and se what happens. Yes watch out for the heat and bite if you are used to better tobaccos especially if you are used to English blends as the fine ribbon cut Cavendish?s laden with topper will burn hot and wet.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)

One of the first tobaccos I ever tried. Every once in a while I'll pick some up for nostalgia. Still smells great, still tastes good. The fond remembrance at the first light turns to boredom halfway down the bowl. No variation - I prefer a bit of complexity.

Perfect for a new pipesmoker. I envy anyone who has made this their brand. You are saving a fortune.