Matured golden cavendish tobaccos.

BrandLane Limited

2.2
atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I have to agree with most of the reviews here: if you have a choice, get Capt. Black White (or regular). It tastes better. This feels just lighter in every way. Also, like most people say, smoke it slowly and gently or it will cause tongue bite. Still, it's not the worst I have smoked, so I Somewhat Recommend it.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)

This is my "go to" fodder. If I'm not in the mood for a strong flake or sweet fruity aromatic or just want a nice plain old smoke to enjoy with a blank mind....this is it. Like Coke or Pepsi I think it's fair to say we all have our old stand by. Captain Black Gold is mine. This is the tobacco I first smoked in 1993 when I smoked my first pipe and it has been a permanent member of my library of tobaccos. It is simple, it is always reliable (haven't noticed any anomilies) and it is easy to find. I find that this tobacco burns nice, slow, cool and mellow on the tongue. I can throw It into anything from a corncob to a meerschaum or a high end briar it's just that simple. It's my wife's favorite when it comes to room note

Pipe Used: Many styles, shapes, materials

Purchased From: Jade Smokers Corner

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

It burns well... way too well. You have slowly sip it, and even then, you may get tongue tingle if you're not paying attention. The light honey and grass flavor is very mild and sweet with a light vanilla hit from the topping. As gold cavendish blends go, it's okay, but not exciting, and altogether too one dimensional for my personal taste. But if you're looking for an unobtrusive, all day smoke, and are a gentle puffer, this will do for an OTC.

Aro Lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aro Lover (13)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

For the life of me, I have no idea why this tobacco is so popular, nor why it is often recommended to new pipe smokers. Dare I even call this chemical goop 'tobacco'? It's very wet. Totally drenched in PG preservative. No amount of drying will revive it. And there's no tobacco taste. Instead, you'll get an artificial burnt-cardboard-dipped-in-vanilla flavor. Blah. Also, it burns very hot, quickly roasting the mouth. Plus it has a horrible artificial/chemical aftertaste that took me hours to get rid of. Practically zero nicotine. The only positive point is that the room note is nice. But that alone is not enough to save this infernal concoction. So-called Captain Black 'tobaccos' have probably turned off and driven away more new pipe smokers than any other blends in the history of pipe smoking. I will admit CBG is slightly more tolerable than Captain Black Regular... but not by much. Stay far, far away from this one if you know what's good for you. I strongly recommend Mac Baren's natural, smooth and tasty Seven Seas Gold instead. You'll thank me later.

Pipe Used: Bent briar

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Seven Seas Gold (Highly Recommended).

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

When speaking of just aromatics, I find this just as good as CB White but in a differant way. Since cavendish is virginia tobacco treated, those that enjoy the mild and mellow smoke of Virginias, should enjoy this all golden cavendish blend. Very mellow and actually sweeter in taste than CB White. If you want sweet, smoke this. If not as sweet, smoke CB White. I did not experience tongue bit, which is unusual because I am a fierce puffer. Wife loves the aroma of all CB blends vs. all other aromatics.

Joplin333 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joplin333 (1)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

It's been several years since I smoked a pipe. I've been exclusively smoking fine cigars fro the past several years. I decided to pick up my old pipe as a change of pace. To my great surprise, although I live 45 minutes outside of midtown Manhattan, the number of stores carrying descent pipe tobacco are far and few between. I decide to buy a pouch of Captain Black Gold, recommended to me by a friend. I felt like i was sucking on one of my wife's perfume bottles. I couldn't wait to dump it out. I'll be looking over the reviews here to see what's really good, and order online.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Corn cob

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Local convenience store

JackDandy13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackDandy13 (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This has been for me a beginners Tobacco and I smoked two or three pouches of it as I first entered the hobby. The Captain Black brand being, along with Old Port, the only OTC available in Montreal at a nearby drugstore (before discovering the internet and proper local tobacconists), it was only normal for me to try them in my uncle's pipe which I used as a prop until meeting a pipe smoker and suddenly thinking « hum, why not give it a shot? » I had been, up until then, a steady cigar enthusiast, and am by trade a lover of all things antique. The pipe, I thought, would fit my style and lifestyle - the scent also being easier to pull-off indoors during winter without sticking to the room like a cigar.

CB Gold is a moist, easy to burn straight out of the pouch (because it's PG-laced), yet classic pipe tobbacco. It's beautiful to look at (golden & orange ribbons with Cavendish speckles) and the pouch still remains a favorite to stick my nose in to give myself a mild headache from it's vanilly/heavy sugary rhum and epoxy glue scent (I say it in a good way), even if I would hardly smoke it anymore. This has been my prefered CB variety althought I would be curious to try them again for the first time in years to see if the seemingly dull « royal » packs a new punch now that my palate is accustomed to to the subtleties of Tobacco flavors. The room note will attract ladies, and even easily convert people to the joy of the pipe (which I have done using this tobacco). Flavorful if your palate is clean (it can seem dull sometimes), it goes well with a black coffee cup as a first smoke of the day if you really wanna taste it, and not just smell it. It's problems are also it's qualities: because it is so easy to light and burn even if packed or puffed at badly, it can severely bite the novice - which, in my opinion, remains it's target audience. In it's favor, I have found that even though it is a heavy OTC aromatic, the pipes used can loose their «ghost » flavor fairly quickly - which has been a good thing for me as I left this one behind prefering more natural tobaccos. Still, I would recommend it for a beginner above any other of the CB line, as well as above any other easy-to-come-by aromatic OTC's.

Pipe Used: Unamed italian briar, Blatter and Blatter pipe

Similar Blends: Mac Baren 7 seas gold.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)

The pouch aroma is that of sweet tobacco. The tobacco comes in need of a little moisture for my taste. But you can smoke it right out of the pouch if you like a dry smoke. It lights easily and the smoke is reasonably thick. The taste is that of a Summer day. That is, it is mellow and slightly sweet at the first. As the smoke continues, it does get a little more grass like. The room aroma is nice, but it is often more tolerated than adored. If puffed too hard, it will bite. If you know how to enjoy aromatics you already know how to smoke this stuff. The flavor stays the same until the smoke ends and there is no bitterness. This is a very simple smoke for the average man. By the way, I can see how this may plaay a part in Captain Black Royal or even 1Q.

Pipe Used: corn cob

RB1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RB1 (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

CB Gold & Royal are the only two tobaccos I smoke.After trying various other blends these are the only ones I am stuck with.To hell with the tobacco snobs who shun OTC blends & aromatics and try to make you believe that something that tastes like wood or leather are for the Connoisseurs.I want my tobacco to smell as good as it tastes.Recently I did an experiment which I would like to share in this forum.I mixed half a pouch of CB Royal with half a pouch of CB Gold poured a tablespoon of Captain Morgan dark rum in it kept it on a newspaper & let the mixture soak in the rum overnight.The next day I when I smoked the mixture I got an awesome taste.Why don't you try it & see if you like the taste or not.

Pipe Used: Falcon straight stem with Dover rustic bowl

Purchased From: Local

samanfromiran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samanfromiran (22)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

unfortunately in my country (IRAN republic islamic) there are a lot of feigned capitan black blends specially capitan black gold.but i tried this.very similar to capitan black light.(blue pouch) .nothing except tongue bit.but i doubt i have tried real capitan black !!

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

A popular blend, and like many, I cut my teeth on quite a few of the CB varieties. I'm not going to review the other 4 or 5 I tried since they are very much alike with mostly just different aromatic qualities. This cased burley is cool smoking, if handled properly, overly moist and very fragrant, smelling of cherry, vanilla, coconut of what have you depending on the pouch you buy. Smells great, taste like dung. Potpourri in a bowl.

amirnader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amirnader (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Ah it smells good. A really enjoyable smoke with a fair price. The most pleasant feature of this tobacco is its room note. I like its taste too.

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Read my review of Captain Black White, and kick up the flavor wheel one turn and you've got Captain Black Gold! I think someone left the top of the Vanilla when the flavoring was poured.

Patryk Georgevitch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patryk Georgevitch (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I started my way into pipe smoking while remaining far away from CB. Everyone said it would be a cheap tobacco and that no real pipe smoker should give it attention. While listening to others is not always a helpful deed, when it came to CB Gold, NONE OF THEM COULD BE MORE WRONG!

It is not premium tobacco, I admit, but Captain Black is Captain Black! And it is popular for a reason! It is a great aromatic! Really wet in the pouch, I leave it to dry up for a couple of hours every 2 weeks. and a 30 minutes dry before the smoke would be great so it does not wet the bowl.

One downnote is that after smoking 2/3 of the bowl, the aroma is lost, but guess what: I AM INTO ENJOYING THOSE 2/3 OF THE BOWL! Fills greatly in the bowl and lights up very well!

For a quick choice of take-me-everywhere aromatic, I strongly recommend it!

Pipe Used: Vauen, Chacom, Peterson

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (101)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I used to know a man who only smoked this and nothing else. Capt'n Black Gold is sweet and mild, a golden shag like cavendish. The pouch aroma makes you want to eat it like hay. Lights easy,stays lit, smells nice. Of all the Capt'n's blends this is my favorite.

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (20)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I tried this again after writing a bad review and found the second go-around not as bad as I had previously written. This is a decent blend and is actually great value for the price. Like Captain Black Regular but with a little more kick.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Captain Black Regular.

Giovanni Palomino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giovanni Palomino (21)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

It is a fairly neutral mixture at all, doesn't stand out at all though so little is bad in anything. It is a simple mixture so it does not recommend to buy it.

Pipe Used: Diplomat Corn Cob Pipe

Purchased From: Centro de Bogota

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I have learned after smoking the entire pouch that CB Gold mixed Half and Half with Original Sir Walter Raleigh one gets a nutty, vanilla yogurt type smoke that women love the smell of. Burleys are my all day smoke and out of all the CB blends, gold is my favorite mixer, it adds a hint of sweetness and aroma to natural Burley blends. Smoked by itself, it bites so I recommend CB Royal if you plan on smoking right out of the pouch... CB Gold is best as a mixer (IMHO)

Smells like vanilla yogurt or yellow pound cake, really delightful tin aroma but for $8 a pouch here in Las Vegas ill stick to better offerings like Lane Bulk or Captain Black Dark since the Gold and me do not get along it seems....

Purchased From: Tobacco Leaf , Henderson NV

Jeff M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeff M. (2)

A light flavor that worked well on a blazing hot day. It needed to be smoked slowly to keep tongue bite down and the flavor sweet. I enjoyed it with an A&W Cream Soda that really improved my enjoyment of the tobacco. I'm not sure I would want to smoke this one very often, but it does have a way of making you slow down and relax.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: Grocery store (Food Lion)

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

The flavor is very mild and sweet with a light vanilla hit. The gold cavendish has a honey note or two, and a little grass. One dimensional and innocuous. It burns fast, so you need to sip it to avoid some tongue bite. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Very little nicotine present. Has a decent after taste and room note, but it's basically a routine all day smoke.

R.Peres Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.Peres (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Bright and fair, very aromatic but definitely bites. Like all Captain Blacks, it has the signature taste, the vannila-cocoa and slightly chemical but pleasant taste, however not mild at all. It has a wooden, bitter note that develops in something that from a distance might resemble cinnamon when the tobacco ages outside a sealed can or a ziplocked poach. It burns too hot, for being a quite dry tobacco thus giving us a harsh tongue bite, not so present in the canned version. It does not Last long in the bowl even when well horizontally flattened rested. It just be sipped slowly or the bites will eventually turn into Burns. Works better in cold days, at half bowls with a good air flux. I would prever Royal Blend instead, for the flavour being richer and the tongue bite very similar, if not less damaging than Gold.

Pipe Used: Bertoldi

Purchased From: Tabacaria Rodoviária - Itapetininga (SP)

Similar Blends: Captain Black series.

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Not much to say. The room note was wonderful, SO-approved. Extremely deficient in vitamin N. The taste was good but rather faint -- not much intensity there. If this blend had a little more balls it would be a 3-star blend. Very pleasant, though, and a good blend for newbies and those not looking for a lot of body or flavor intensity. Not bad at all, but I have not bought any more. I would probably give this a 2.2/4.0 or so.

Pipe Used: At least 5

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)

This isn't as good as Captain Black Royal. Still, it's available everywhere, the price is good, and the quality is better than most people give it credit for. Interestingly it's completely different depending on the speed of smoke - when smoked fast it's rather bland and uninteresting, but when smoked very slowly much more depth is revealed. Because it's so mild (and presumably very low nicotine content) there's a temptation to puff away quickly in order to get some taste and a 'fix'. If that temptation can be resisted, a slow smoke gives a much more satisfying result with much deeper flavors.

I think it's a pretty good tobacco for the price, but Captain Black Royal is much better.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The Gold blend is the best that the captain has to offer and it's pretty damn good for what it is. Straight golden Cavendish with much less topping than the captain's other offerings. The ribbon cut is excessively moist out of the pouch. It smells of vanilla cupcakes in the pouch and in the room. Packs, lights and burns well with a little drying time. If you try you can actually get the flavor of the tobacco through the casing which I like, the cavendish is given some respect here and not treated merely as a medium to deliver the topping. CBG doesn't really want to bite but will if provoked so it's best to take it easy and give it the time that a pipe really deserves anyway. It leaves a crust I the pipe that flakes away with a pick. I like this blend best as a light puff after lunch but in the evening it lacks the N required for proper relaxation and reflection. Nothing complex here just a decent tobacco with a not-to-pushy amount of a very pleasant flavor. A little added burley would make this a real winner.

Pipe Used: Grabow briar, MM hardwood

Purchased From: local yokel

ThePipeMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePipeMonk (11)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The Good Old Captain Black Gold was my third tobacco I tasted after the horrors of Erinmore Mixture and a slight surprise with Captain Black Royal. I would say it's a nice welcome to the Captain Black Series. So here we go with the review.

Tin/Pouch Aroma: Excellent, not overpowering like Captain Black Regular and also fortunately misses that Chemical X smell I experienced with Captain Black Regular.

Smoking experience: I would recommend airing any aromatic for atleast 15 minutes before packing your bowl, it will allow extra moisture to evaporate giving you very few relights. The first light was really good and didnt actually required tamping or relights till I reached mid-bowl and after the second light it smoked perfectly till the end.

This tobacco is quite mild, tasty and a little bit complex. I would occasionally get taste of vanilla and something sweet without being overpowering like the Regular version. Very nice smoke for when you are relaxing and working on something and can sip on it slowly enjoying it with your mouth and yes with your nose. The bowl finished with relatively smoothness and ease and the only con I see in this tobacco is the black burnt cookie crust it leaves instead of turning into white ash. You can simply break it with a toothpick without touching your bowl and drop the ash in the ashtray.

One word of caution: Do not smoke this in a briar pipe, it will become bitter and the moisture will creep the stem into your mouth, instead, use a corn cob pipe with a medium to big size bowl and you will have a blast.

However, if you have better options like Lane's 1-Q, go with that. I reserve CB for when I can't get my regular tobaccos. It is not a third grade tobacco but rather a mild distraction when your main show is not available.

Get a tin and not a pouch !!

2.5 out of 4 stars.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Erik Nording 190

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks

Purchased From: www.cigarsindia.in

Similar Blends: Captain Black Royal.

Highlander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Highlander (6)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First tobacco I smoked. Even then it seemed sickly sweet. Moist to the point of being soggy, it was hard to keep lit.

I'll move on.

Pipe Used: Corncob and Brindisi Briar

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Sweet mixture of Mild, Golden Cavendish Tobaccos. Excelent for people that enjoy sweet aromatic tobaccos, but with not so much strong in nicotine. This is for me the second between the better Captain Black Blends, after the Royal.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

Very heavily vanilla cased shredded drugstore blend. Billowing clouds of sweetish smoke smell like Chai Tea. OK in a pinch for when you run out of the good stuff. Best mixed with XXX Black Rope to make up for its many deficiencies.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I finally managed to get a pouch of Captain Black White from Germany.

I had been wanting to try for some time and it wasn't quite what I had expected. But then pipe tobacco can be like that. An anti-climax.

I mean it's got favorable reviews in here but what one smoker finds to like in a blend another does not.

Oh, it's not bad. As a supposed supermarket shelf tobacco in the US it certainly compares favorably with anything on these shores' supermarket kiosks.

We have St Bruno, Condor, Gold Blend, B & H, Drum plus something called Pall Mall, a brand I thought was only cigarettes which seem to have invaded our corner shops in the last few years.

Captain Black has been likened to MacBaren's Seven Seas, a brand available only by internet where I live. It shares a pouch fragrance with Seven Seas although with little more alcoholic nuance.

This tobacco seems quite moist although loads from the pouch and lights and burns with little maintenance.

However - and even virtual beginners will know this - the initial aroma from the pouch only follows through to the smoke in 95% of cases. This is where the similarity with MacBaren's Seven Seas stops.

It doesn't taste of anything much even after the initial light and that's its downside really.

No bite even when pushed.

It a pleasant enough smoke and Mrs RH has made no comment so we can assume the room note is pretty ordinary.

Worth dragging it across the pond ?

Nah not especially, buy Seven Seas instead.

wekers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wekers (14)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Its was my first tobacco, i while loved when smoked. The Smell oh! so wonderful, pitty that lasts a few days only. On air enjoy who are around you. But after know others better tobacco, you see that if not be careful its burn your tounge, and bite a little, so i hope that one day i find a similar of this but with more quality.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (23)

This is nice tobacco but really this is another things that this company made 20 year ago I can very good remember my friend smoke it and smell really same like somebody cooking vanilla chocolate Really so nice vanilla smell, Who knows what happen please? Many friend tell me maybe this is not original tobacco Any way I really like Captain black tobacco :)

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (30)

I got a can of this from a fellow pipe smoker for Christmas. He knew that I loved Captain Black, but he didn't know which blend. I've been smoking on CB Gold for the past several weeks and I must say that it is a pretty good blend. Out of the can, Gold contains a good about of moisture. The cut is ribbon and it packs well with any method. The tobacco looks to be a predominately Virginia blend, with a little bit of Cavandish tobacco throughout. It takes well to a match and doesn't bite, even if you abuse it. But, for best results for flavor, sip it. For the first two-thirds of the bowl, CB Gold is sweeter than White. Down on the last third, it starts to lose its steam and the flavor gradually dissapears. The bowl will probably girgle some throughout, but it is nothing that a little sitting time won't cure. Although Captain Black Gold is really good, it still won't replace the regular. For all CB and aromatic smokers, stick with the white label and let this one compliment your rotation.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)

I truly enjoyed this smoke, i have been stuck on CBW and have not been to apprehensive to try anything else based on other reviews i have read. However, I was yet again in Rite Aid and they had it and i just had to try. I was actually impressed. I thought it was going to be harsh with lots of bite. not the case!

Smell in bag is great, color is wonderful, packed loosely( which made for a better smoke)

the taste was mild and not a lot like CBW, but some hints of vanilla and i tasted a little bit of a trail mix flavor (which i wasn't expecting at all), but the taste of the tobacco was definitely present, some vitamin N kick in it. I smoked it slowly and got almost no bite. Room note is not bad, doesn't smell as great as CBW, but still smells quite nice.

had a hard time keeping it lit at the bottom of the bowl, but other than that it stayed lit through almost the whole bowl. The bowl surprising didn't get too hot, unlike CBW which burns the hell out of my fingers.

Doesn't get four because I've had better, but for a beginner or on a budget, TRY it. its not to shabby!

(addition) I would recommend not drinking anything carbonated after or during this smoke, your mouth mite feel a harsh bite. I would also recommend not mixing with this blend, it isn't very satisfying.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm giving this for four stars because it is(to me) unaguably the best of the Capt Black line. It's sweetly complex with little tongue bite. It has at least three flavour notes to it, the natural golden cavendish taste followed by a sweetness that builds, that follows a lightly earthy taste. If you are a Capt Black fan and haven't tried it turn off your computer and go get some right now. It's the only Capt Black I stock up on. All other CB tobaccos are pretty good to great but this one they did their research on. For the money there may not be a better bag out their. It tastes like a high end blend for a low end price. Since it's mild nicotine wise a newbie will not regret trying it. Good job guys on this one.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Very Pleasant

Captain Black Gold is a very good tobacco. It has a great roomnote and it smokes very cool. It is a great mixer as well and I will always have a pouch of this in my stock...ENJOY! MZMN 6-27-05

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This was another "fill an order" pouch I recently bought, with no expectations beyond being a basic filler smoke. It lived up to my lack of expectation, with a mildly sweet non-threatening aroma that was boring and smelt 'old' from a cardboard-esque smell.

The pouch bulged from the bounciest cut I have ever come across, it was like a new pillow that was so full, I thought they snuck in a few ounces one me! It was hard to gauge how much to pack, as experience kept telling me I already had too much in there, but then I'd light it and it would pack down into half a bowl.

The puff itself was "meh" and as dry as a left open tin. It burned quickly and ashy. Catching me off guard with a few coughs. Thankfully it wasn't overly topped, yet sadly the quality was not there to make up for the boring lack of aromatics.

It exists primarily as a cheap, emergency "grocery store" smoke for those on a fixed budget. It 'may' be a hair above the rest, buy honestly... who cares.

Pipe_Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe_Fan (13)

Heard mixed reviews, but mostly positive reviews for this blend. Knew it was a simple OTC aromatic, that had been around for a good while. People who smoked it tend to smoke it a lot, making it a daily smoker and a regular in rotation. I decided to try it, as it was cheap and easy to obtain, as well as the fact that I am a fan of aromatics.

In the pouch it does smell sweet, with what seems to me to be vanilla. Had no problems packing it or getting it lit. Stayed lit well for me in the bowl as well.

The taste is rather mild and sweet, but I found it enjoyable and not overpowering. It did not burn too fast or hot. I didn't notice any tongue bite, although it seems possible if smoked too fast.

The room note is pleasant, and has not offended anyone that I've smoked around, and a few people have told me that they rather enjoy the aroma.

Overall, it is an OTC, so not a premium tobacco. Yet it is a great smoke, and rather enjoyable. If you are a fan of aromatics, then you should try some out, and it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain for someone, at least in the States.

Pipe Used: Cayuga Churchwarden, Dr. Grabow Omega W/ Filter

Purchased From: Wild Bill's Tobacco

Silent Soliloquy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silent Soliloquy (16)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Was very skeptical about it from the start, but circumstances aligned in such a way that I could not avoid the purchase and I was pleasantly surprised.

What we have here is a solid stock tobacco with hottish burn, some steady bite, but a pleasant herbish, creamish, vanilish boquet, which kind of makes me think virginia + vanilla, although this is a brown cavendish.

The bouquet is really there, not overbearing, but clearly present through the whole smoke. Tobacco is there too, so it isn't just the sauce.

I would even get it again if nothing else is available, actually, at this price CB Gold is a fair game.

Pipe Used: briar sahin, cheap meerschaum

Purchased From: Duty Free

Bentlink Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bentlink (9)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Strong

I thought I might as well try this blend, and well, it met my (modest) expectations. It's not at all unlike huffing Glade air freshener. I'm mostly a fan of English and Balkan blends, but enjoy an occasional aromatic.

The pouch smell is delicious, sweet and chocolate like a breakfast like a breakfast pastry. It's a little damp set of blond ribbons.

On lighting, it burns well and I get slapped in the face with aromatic chemicals like visit to the ladies perfume counter with an aggressive sample-dispensing attendant.

Mid bowl, the topping remains overbearing. Very careful sipping keeps me on the ragged edge of tongue bite.

Finishing, I get a little suggestion of tobacco flavor.

While I consider a lifetime plus of dumpster-aging, I may keep this around to set the baseline against which other tobacco seems an improvement.

Room smell is fantastic.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Drinkless

Purchased From: Grocery Store

Similar Blends: Glade plug-in.

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (27)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Disappointed like waking up on Christmas Day to find out that your presents have been stolen. Is a more pleasant feeling than smoking this stuff. If you want to get an idea of what tongue bit is and how bad it can be put this in your pipe and smoke it. Not going to buy that stuff again. I love captain black royal. Tried the gold because that was all that was instock. Should have waited.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: One week

Purchased From: Smoke shop

JackDandy13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackDandy13 (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This has been for me a beginners Tobacco and I smoked two or three pouches of it as I first entered the hobby. The Captain Black brand being, along with Old Port, the only OTC available in Montreal at a nearby drugstore (before discovering the internet and proper local tobacconists), it was only normal for me to try them in my uncle's pipe which I used as a prop until meeting a pipe smoker and suddenly thinking « hum, why not give it a shot? » I had been, up until then, a steady cigar enthusiast, and am by trade a lover of all things antique. The pipe, I thought, would fit my style and lifestyle - the scent also being easier to pull-off indoors during winter without sticking to the room as heavily as a cigar.

CB Gold is a moist, easy to burn straight out of the pouch (because it's PG-laced), yet classic pipe tobbacco. It's beautiful to look at (golden & orange ribbons with Cavendish speckles) and the pouch still remains a favorite to stick my nose in to give myself a mild headache from it's vanilly/heavy sugary rhum and epoxy glue scent (I say it in a good way), even if I would hardly smoke it anymore. This has been my prefered CB variety althought I would be curious to try them again for the first time in years to see if the seemingly dull « royal » packs a new punch now that my palate is accustomed to to the subtleties of Tobacco flavors. The room note will attract ladies, and even easily convert people to the joy of the pipe (which I have done using this tobacco). Flavorful if your palate is clean (it can seem dull sometimes), it goes well with a black coffee cup as a first smoke of the day if you really wanna taste it, and not just smell it. It's problems are also it's qualities: because it is so easy to light and burn even if packed or puffed at badly, it can severely bite the novice - which, in my opinion, remains it's target audience. In it's favor, I have found that even though it is a heavy OTC aromatic, the pipes used can loose their «ghost » flavor fairly quickly - which has been a good thing for me as I left this one behind prefering more natural tobaccos. Still, I would recommend it for a beginner above any other of the CB line, as well as above many other easy-to-come-by aromatic OTC's.

Pipe Used: Unamed italian briar, Blatter and Blatter pipe

Similar Blends: Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Ideal moisture level. I bought the 1.5 oz pouch, if that matters. My favorite of the 5 CB blends I have tried. I would buy this again, in bulk. No tongue bite. Pleasant when exhaled thru the snork. 3.5 stars. The best OTC drugstore aromatic I have found so far. The aroma always pleases bystanders.

Pipe Used: briar

Purchased From: local shop (pouch), pipes and Cigars bulk

Similar Blends: Virginia Gold Vanilla.

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (25)

This is a very mild aromatic that is not at all unpleasant. I find the flavoring to be a lot less complex than Captain Black Royal, Gold is also a bit milder. The room note is pleasing as well. For me, Gold burned pretty well right out of a new pouch, I found it that it burns fairly quickly as well. A year later, the same tobacco tasted and performed almost exactly the same, I didn't think it really needed any drying so I had kept it more or less sealed. Tongue bite is not as bad as I expected; however, I consciously attempted to avoid overheating the pipe as I was taking a walk. If given the option, I would select 2.5 stars here. A pipe smoker is not going be blown away by this blend, he or she may not even be impressed, but they will also not come away angry for having spent whatever the local drug store charges for it.

Pipe Used: Graco Duet

Age When Smoked: New, then about 12 months old

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Much like Captian Black regular, I think CB Gold gets a bad rep sometimes. It's not complex, challenging, dynamic, or life-changing. But that's part of what makes it great (for what it is). Pretty much any version of Captain Black is an excellent entry point to new pipe smokers because it's NOT too challenging. Captain Black is a good, solid brand that new pipe smokers can feel tough and manly smoking.

This is, whether us long time tobacco snobs are willing to admit it or not, what non-pipe smokers think of when they say, "I don't smoke a pipe but they sure do smell nice." CB Gold provides a solid and generally non-offensive smoke that's easy to find just about anywhere when you're stuck away from your cellar of high-brow flakes, plugs, ropes, and assorted other blends.

Purchased From: Anywhere Tobacco is Sold

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Whatever you say here... for me was a very a pleasant experience 20 yrs ago and probably because of that still is but I admit today is not the same like back then or my taste changed somehow. Anyway the smell is enjoyable and taste too. A little advice (in my opinion) IT IS NOT FOR PUFFING. lol... Start slow and sty on it!

polaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
polaris (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Nothing special. If you smoke a little faster than normal, this blend will not forgive you. Terrible tongue bite.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)

It burns hot, it bites, and doesn't have much character or depth. Quite frankly, there's no point in smoking this. So do yourself a favor and don't.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a mainstay blend. Cavendish and a simple, smooth, vanilla flavor. A solid flavorful smoke for the price, $3.50/2oz. here in the south. If I can't have my "fancy pants" internet blends from around the globe, Captain Black will do everytime. Light to medium taste and nicotine. No frills and dependable. Its no longer in my daily rotation as my tatses have changed, but an old favorite nontheless.

This tobacco has made many a newbie, including me say, "this pipe smoking thing might be my gig."

Yep, its a recruiter, and the pipesmoking world is in its debt.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I was up north ice fishing and lost my day pouch of VA flake so while I was in the local market buying supplies I picked up a pouch of CB Gold. I thought to myself Grandpa used to smoke it so it can't be all bad. I forgot Grandpa used to consider A&C Grenediers fine cigars.

This truly is not what I would consider horrible tobacco though I would never consider adding it to my rotation. It packs nicely and lights evenly. CB has very little true tobacco flavor and way too much vanilla topping flavor for my taste. Unless you allow it to dry out for a while it will burn very wet and require frequent relights.

I can only give this blend 1 of 4. I would only consider smoking Lane Limited Captain Black if I couldn't find any A&C Grenediers.

JohnH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnH (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked, and despite it's ups and downs, because of that i will always have a soft spot for it.

The very first bowl I tried was very pleasant, but also very much a novelty as the first bowl I had ever smoked. Shortly after I tried FM on the town, and it blew my mind, and in turn the CB gold out the water. I continued to smoke the CB gold over the following month or so as I learnt more about pipe smoking. Breaking in new pipes and struggling with school boy issues, such as tongue bite, this tobacco was at times cursed and mocked as awful, but as time has gone on I now believe I have a good grasp of it.

I don't believe this is in anyway a bad tobacco, and certainly not awful, but it isn't going to blow you away. I had the pouch with me for a while, and would dip into it at any time of day without discontent. I'm not sure I would recommend this to anyone else as a first tobacco, but it has treated me well, and who knows I may buy some again at some point in the future to reminisce on my first pipe smoking experiences.

Overall I would struggle to really recommend this tobacco, but wouldn't pass it up in a pinch.

Pipe Used: Various

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (40)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Captain Black Gold is a great smooth and light aromatic that delivers the true taste of a premium golden Cavendish and is made of high quality tobacco and does NOT have a chemical smell or taste, I have said this many times but I know its the yuppy pipe smoker thing to say about mass produced pipe tobacco known as the dreaded OTC Drug Store Blends (give me a break) but anyway if your new to pipe smoking and never tried Captain Black Gold I can assure you its a fine pipe tobacco and taste great, it is straight up golden Cavendish made with burley and has a light sweet taste and smell, blends like Lanes 1-Q and Hazelnut use golden Cavendish as part of the mix as well as many other blends but by itself its gonna be really mild and would be ideal for a all day smoke. This pipe tobacco has stood the test of time for a reason, its not a complex blend and holds its sweet and mellow taste all the way down the bowl and has a light vanilla touch to it with a dash of a almost honey taste to it. At times some nuttiness will shine through it and the nicotine level is low so you can smoke quite abit of it. One of the things I like about gold is that is has a spicy taste to it but very light but when I put some thought into it, because it is so mild and being tobacco, the tobacco puts a zing into the mellowness that it is already basically allowing you to appreciate the tobacco in general because its not overly masked and Gold is great about doing that, this blend is far from boring it does have depth to it just not complex is where I'm getting at with it. I recommend this because its good and so dang mellow, it will not bite the tounge so that's a plus. Its a good blending tobacco to for those who like to mix it up, I will leave a great blend recipe at the end of this review, give it a try and you will appreciate the joys of Captain Black Gold, thanks for reading my review and God bless all you fellow pipe smokers.

Kentucky Gold by:Christopher This blend comes from one of my blends that I actually do from scratch and sold in the NorthWest for over 5 years before my small tobacco company closed shop. The tobaccos used are all easy to come by and this mix is tested true and a good pipe smoke, give it a good blending and let it marry for at least 4 days but 2 weeks is better for the first sample. Dont knock it until you try it, I always get excited to try other blenders mix's there willing to share, Good Luck!!! 40% Captain Black Gold 20% Carter Hall or Lanes BL/WB 20% Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam 10% Lanes BCA 10%Blending Perique I guarantee this is one hell of a pipe tobacco blend, it is zesty but smooth with a hint of Kentucky smoke and black pepper with a smooth light vanilla sweet undertone and a nice nutty base that you will contemplate life all the way to the end of the bowl.

Pipe Used: Corn Cobs and CnS Pipes

Age When Smoked: 39

Purchased From: Yokes on Kellogg Idaho

SmokingHawk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingHawk (27)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

When I smoked it I felt like I was sucking hot air... no flavors or taste detected just warm air. I tried to mix it with cb white blend then could feel some smoke. The worst in CBs range.

Age When Smoked: New from the pouch

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

The Captain - Gold

A very nice room note. I remember a girl I was friends with commenting that it was "a nice touch, a nice winter touch." Otherwise, no tobacco flavor and no nicotine either. What flavor there is is a chemically sort of vanilla as I remember. Attempts to puff up some power from The Captain will lead you to burn your tongue and maybe also the roof of your mouth, because this is one hot wet smoke. I mean, you dont know what tongue bite is til you've puffed on this. And it will make your pipe gurgle with moisture and goop.

These comments go for Captain Black Regular also.  For whatever reason I seem to remember the Gold (King Midas in reverse) as smoking slightly dryer and not biting quite as hard, but insofar as smoking characteristics I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between the two in a blind test.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is the lightest of the Captain Black family in every way. It's all golden Cavendish with a mild casing. I prefer the individual bags because the tobacco is usually a little drier than the big tins, so I can't say this is a typical goopy aromatic. It packs well and lights without a fuss. In a briar I found it to be a bit acrid and bitter, so I thought I'd try it in a cob and a meer. Totally different and very good! Smooth, tasty, mild, and sweet. The taste reminds me of shortbread cookies. It has a certain buttery note to it I love. Nicotine was present but not really noticable to me personally. Burns down to a fine white ash with no dottle left in the bowl. I love loading up a cob of this stuff any time of day. Makes a great base for mixing too!

Pipe Used: Cobs, meets, and several briars

Purchased From: Food Lion

bassam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bassam (1)

i just recently start smoking pipe but i looking fir good and nice smell with pleasant test . this what available in county where i travel now. My opinion its good for beginner smokers.

Harsim David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harsim David (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

TIN NOTE: Sweet Raisins with slight ketchup from the Virginias

RETROHALE: Smooth no bitterness with more hay notes

For an OTC this is a very good blend. Nothing special to write home about but it gets the job done. The actual tobacco has a great color and cut to it with no stems. It's a very creamy smoke with a mellow note. Not much complexity to it as you are tasting a fragrant goldenness throughout. Every once and a while some of the hay notes from the Virginia will peek through but its not often. Smokes cool for the most part but I wouldn't puff too quickly. I could see myself reaching for this blend when I want to read a book or do an activity where I'm not actually focused on the taste of the tobacco but rather looking for some quality notes that old on throughout.

Pipe Used: MM Huck Finn

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (26)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Again, while back in the US for a family vacation, I decided to try one of the classic OTC blends. It has gotten very hard to find OTC pipe tobacco in the US. You used to be able to get them at any drug store or grocery store, but not any more. So every time I'm in the Lehigh Valley in PA, I stop by the Smokin' Zone, which has a full selection of OTC pipe tobaccos. I decided to try Captain Black Gold. Upon opening the pouch, I was greeted with a nutty fragrance with hints of coconut and eukalyptus. The tobacco is ribbon cut and a mixture of yellows, golds and chocolate browns. It is moist to the touch and packs well. The tobacco lights nicely after a charring match. The taste is pleasantly smooth, a nice balance between sweet and smokey, with the nuttiness of the Burley dominating. It burns cool to the bottom of the bowl without leaving a dottle. The room note is pleasant, though a bit smokey. This is an easy smoke, though nothing sophisticated. It is good quality at a great price. It reminds me of Half-and-Half, though this is much more pleasing in my humble opinion.

Pipe Used: Vauen Theatre bent

Purchased From: Smokin' Zone, 1091 Mill Creek Rd #121, Allentown, PA 18106, USA

Similar Blends: Half and Half.

Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Virginia in Golden Cavindish, tastes sweet and good but has an aggressive bite on the tongue, I am a regular Va smoker but could not stand the pain in my tongue. Now after I mixed it 50/50 with CBW it is much better

Kamerling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kamerling (27)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sure there are much better aromatic pipe tobaccos, BUT as for this price it's a quite good one. There might be a little bit tongue-bite effect if you smoke it to hurriedly, so it would be better for a non-haste session rather than a walk. It's not so chemical as Petersons, not so heavy as it's brother Captain Black Regular.

What I highly recommend is to mix CB Gold (40%) with Latakia (40%) and Virginia/Oriental (20%) - Captain Black Gold is a great component to create your own English/Scottish Mixture. As a pipe tobacco itself I would give 2 stars, but as an ingredient to pipe mixture I would give strong 3 and a half.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

Every new pipe smoker usually tastes captain black blends.same here before 5 years...when i broke yhe seal oh my god!what a nice smell..smells very promising...but it isn't...quite the opposite..very moisty even after drying..when i light it a blue flame came out!after a half bowl you get nothing but moist..it burns the pipe like hell!needs 1 9mm for 1 bowl..the pipe is full of moisture after finishing and it needs serious cleaning...the aftertaste is like smoking something chemically blended.

Age When Smoked: When opened!

Similar Blends: C. Black regular.

TheMadPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheMadPiper (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Within my duty as the one and only Mad Piper, I thought that I should offer a bit of an in depth review to this blend... albeit shoddy. Now I will try any blend at least once for the sake of trying it and helping out those out in the pipe world. But I shan't waste an ounce of snobbery, despite it stemming from a well being for pipe smokers.

Well I think Captain Black Gold really isn't bad, yet not good either. I call this the "quasi-careless hipster" blend y'know? I say this because of the fact that you'll see some hipster get into pipe smoking who'll buy a decent Brigham pipe for about $85 or more yet kind of give up when he sees the other tobaccos. Too lazy to learn anything else about it, he chooses the glittery Captain Black Gold thinking it has to be the best of the best from the pouch blends based on its dull brassy-gold pouch. Pardon the arrogance my dear hipsters, but it is my speculation as to your choice in tobacco after getting that Brigham Acadian #59.

ANYWAYS! Back to the main review at hand! So the aroma you get when you crack open the pouch right away is such a heavy smack of vanilla. By God, I have had some vanilla aromatics in my day, but this is like taking a DEEP whiff of a super sweet sort of vanilla ice cream but with less of a creamy note to it and more of a saccharine aroma. Soon after you get the kick of the Virginia tobaccos right after the aromas subside.

Giving a little poke at the tobacco, you can just feel the moisture of the humectants and toppings right off the bat. Mmm, delicious glycerine. Drink it up kids! I'd advise letting this blend to sit on a paper towel to dry out if you so choose, and take the opportunity to clean out that little pouch to help improve the quality of transporting your tobacco in that lovely little pouch. 5-10 minutes tops should be good to get some of the liquids out.

The blend packs fairly easily into a pipe with the three step method and offers a decent draw. Charring light took a bit before the true light got everything going after the tamp.

Now the flavours on this are not very heavy. It just tastes like a simple tobacco with a subtle overlay of a slight vanilla tinge. Nothing special, nothing fancy. An oddly basic drugstore tobacco. It's no mind boggling taste but it gets the job done. Friend said the room note was pleasant, so it's a good blend to enjoy out in public if you want a simple yet satisfying smoke but you want to be mindful of others.

Personally, I cannot say this is a favourite. Yet like I mentioned, it gets the job done. A simple smoke with some vanilla notes from the casing that'll get the job done if you're looking to unwind on a lunchbreak. Just a quick smoke to have if you don't have the time to ponder upon the subtle nuances of a rich Three Nuns or Balkan Sasieni.

Some pairings that I could suggest for this would be just a simple coffee, either black or with a li'l splash of flavoured creamer.

Best pipe to smoke it from? Well, I'd say something with a decent filter system. The moisture on this thing if you smoke it right out of the pouch could drown your pipe if you don't use a rock maple insert or a Medico filter. Your pipe stem will thank you, as will your tongue.

Now go forth and enjoy!

Pipe Used: Capri Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 2 Years Old (Purchased fresh)

Purchased From: Local B&M (Sheffield & Sons)

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (30)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

A very simple tobacco. Has a nice aroma / room note but the taste is more neutral and towards the "tongue bite" side if not smoked carefully.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Captain Black Gold is a flavored golden cavendish, only cavendish tobaccos. It is heavily cased with artificial essences and the taste is really ordinary. In my opinion the result is mediocre and in my opinion this is a commercial tobacco. It burns very fast, even if moist and this is a visible sign of a common casing with artificial ingredients. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 5 and 2 stars.

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The more time that I smoke pipes, the less I am inclined to use OTC blends. The chemical flavouring, the cheap packing make them nearly impossible to enjoy. But amongst all that, some of them rises well. And this is one of the examples. This is a beautiful blend by Captain Black. It is not at all complex in flavour or aroma. Just a straight blend that burns nice, stays lit quite well, and have a very pleasant aroma that even non-smoker complement. It has a consistent sweet taste all over and a nice after-taste.. And it produces a considerable body of smoke, one that lingers in the room giving it a distinct scent. I never got tongue-bitten by this one, but since it burns well and fast.. I presume care needs to be taken not to overheat it.

Pipe Used: Orlik Deluxe L200 Pre-Cadogan

Purchased From: Local B&M

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Lane Limited - Captain Black Gold.

I've smoked a few of the Captain's lately, I enjoyed Regular and Dark, but feel this falls a bit behind.

The smoke isn't horrible, it's quite mild and sweet: honey, vanilla and hay. The main issue for me is the bite; it hurts my tongue after a very short amount of time. There are some better points: the burn's good, the smoke's cool, the nicotine's mild, and the room-note's superb. But to me, this is the worst of the C.B's I've piped as of yet.

That said though, it still gets two stars not one.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meerschaum

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I mixed this with a little cube cut burley to kick up the nicotine. I thought the result was really awesome. I am huge fan of Captain Black Regular. I love expensive tobaccos as well. But I believe the reason Captain Black is so popular is that it tastes great.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I can't believe I never reviewed Captain Black Gold, given that I smoked it almost exclusively for nearly 25 years (until the Internet introduced me to the wonderful world of premium pipe tobaccos).

What I liked about CBG when I smoked it regularly was that it was inoffensive, it tasted of vanilla, it was easy to light and it didn't gunk up my pipes like a lot of other drug store pipe tobaccos (including CB White and CB Royal). What I like less about it now that I am a pipe tobacco connoisseur (yuck yuck) is that it is rather bland and tastes of practically nothing but vanilla.

I had an unopened can of CBG for a long time. Instead of throwing it away, I used it this past year to make RYO cigarettes, which I smoke sometimes when I don't have time for a pipe. They tasted pretty good and better than most commercial cigarettes. Who says you can't go home again?

Pipe Used: Various briars, African meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Various

Jeff M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeff M. (2)

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: Grocery store (Food Lion)

robinbj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robinbj (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Pleasantly surprised with this blend. A straight forward semi sweet, easy to smoke aromatic that does just fine.

Need a great top shelf alternative to this blend, that PG gets to me sometimes

Pipe Used: most

Purchased From: local BandM

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Captain Black Gold. Brown shades of leaf in a very fine ribbon cut with a pleasant vanilla/custard smell from the pouch. That and of course gallons of enhancing additives guarantee an excellent, rather fast burn. It took me weeks to finfish the 1.5 oz., but it stayed in perfect moisture from the first day to the last. It is very mild, light, almost flat in every aspect, meaning tobacco taste, topping, and nicotine. At least there is nothing there that makes it unpleasant. The lack of Burley makes the only noticeable difference to me in comparison to the rest of the series.

Similar Blends: Others from the Captain Black series, Mac Baren Vanilla Choice, Danske Club Black & Virginia.

AshesofPeace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AshesofPeace (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was pleased by Captain Black gold, it's an easy everyday smoke, not to much sugar in that cavendish, just a good balance. Better when aged.

I mix it with a perique/latakia tobacco, which bring a flavorful bowl of good balance between sugar/nicotine and salty/sugar taste.

Smoked a different aged, better dried a bit and the more its aged the more you taste the vanilla.

Pipe Used: Rosewood D

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Extremely Strong None Detected Overwhelming Unnoticeable

When I was younger, I saw a cartoon where a giant rolled a huge cigarette out of a bale of hay. I tried this myself when I was 13 or 14 and it tasted like burnt hay. The experience with Captain Black Gold brought back those memories. Its only redeeming quality is to add tiny qualities to more harsh blends in order to take the bite out.

Pipe Used: Basket Pipe, Corn Cob

Purchased From: Ingles

Sinnbad11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinnbad11 (1)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco, while not terrible, is not really good either. The casing is overpowering compared to the tobacco and there is no real tobacco taste. The flavor pallet is nice enough but, there is something cloying, perhaps chemical about the flavor. I bought a pouch from the local drugstore that may have been sitting there since the place opened, and the tobacco was very dry. I attempted to smoke it like that and I had no tongue bite, I didn't have tongue bite when I rehydrated it either. I guess I would recommend it to new people due to the low strength and pleasant flavor combination (vanilla/honey/caramel) as well as the widespread availability.

Pipe Used: Frabenver straight billiard, Peterson 306

Age When Smoked: Unkown (very dry)

Purchased From: Rite Aid

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Im a Captain Black fan, its a regular rotation for me. I typically smoke the original (white) but the store was out so i grabbed a can of gold instead. Its far more bitter than the white, difficult to keep lit due to moisture content and certainly burns the hottest out of the whole captain family. Id smoke it again if i had to, but doubt id buy it again unless options are slim. Probably geared to the burley fan (as far as the captains are concerned) but the White is still tops for me.

Pipe Used: Capri rustic billiard

Age When Smoked: 5 year old can (original lane production)

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

In what can only be considered a golden age of pipe tobacco, with a multitude of fine and even extraordinary blends a mere mouse-click away, the persistance of the Captain Black line continues to surprise me. Gold, like its cousin "White", is heavy on pouch and room note and weak in flavor. Smokes hot, with a pronounced chemical aftertaste, and will burn up the unsuspecting tongue.

Living as we are in a renaissance of excellent aromatics with such blenders as Pipeworks & Wilke, Boswell's, etc, and even the fine Lane and C&D bulk blends, it amazes me that so many pipers still flock to this PG-laden, weak sauce, chemical mess. The good news is that if there ever is a societal melt-down or zombie apocoypse, the enterprising pipe smoker will be able to enter a drug store 50 years from now and find this tobacco still moist.

AmdisShikariBrone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AmdisShikariBrone (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I picked up a pouch for the low price and the rather good reviews and I dont think I could be more disappointed. the pouch smelled wonderful but smoking it I could find no flavour other than smoke. It tasted like smoke. not like tobacco but smoke. I found it to be stronger than other tobaccos. usually I feel nothing from smoking a pipe but smoking a few bowls withing a few hours has actually gave me a slight buzz, nothing bad or unwanted but still it was there. I cant say im a fan of it at all and will defiantly smoke something else given the chance. my only thought is that I got bad quality. Because when I opened my pouch it was absolutely dry, so dry that a stem was able to break my skin like a splinter. and there was what seemed like way to many stems. did anyone else have this problem?

Pipe Used: corn cob

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (14)

One of the good flavors CB has. Bites the tongue a little but smoking slowly will result better...Little hard to enkindle but comparing to other CB flavors this one is really nice.

Pipe Used: Briar Pipe

slashes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slashes (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Smells good in the pouch but thats about it,there is little to no flavor while smoking,save your money and get something better.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Out of the pouch, Capt. Black Gold is steeped in Vanilla maybe not as much as the White version, but not as defined either. The vanilla here smells more like a Vanilla cookie or cake batter, but there's something more artificial in the pouch aroma with this version. Like the White version, there is no discernable aroma of tobacco from the pouch.

Packs and burns OK. Careful puffing helps the bite somewhat.

Very mild, quite sweet, vanilla fades significantly as the smoke progresses. Chemical taste is worse than Capt. Black White, and this stuff coats the mouth with some unidentified substance - not pleasant. Simple flavor - not unpleasant at first - goes downhill pretty quickly. Mild notes of clove, burning paper, even plastic, creep in halfway down the bowl. Room note is OK, but not as pronounced or as pleasant as CB White. Seems to get sweeter near the end.

If you are in a pinch, broke, or cheap as hell. Stick with Capt. Black White. The Gold blend is not worth messing with at any price. However, good or bad, life's too short for drugstore tobacco. Support your local (or online) tobacconist, and do yourself a favor.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Medium Pleasant

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh... No offense intended to those of you who like this stuff but it is the absolute worst blend I've ever smoked. It's like smoking incense and it's even worse than Paladin. It is sticky in the pouch and it leaves globs of tarry goop in the bottom of pipe bowls. It tastes similar to the way coconut scented suntan lotion smells which would be alright if it brought visions of poolside bikini clad beauties to mind but the cloying artificial taste (of the tobacco - not the bikinis) gags me. If curiosity compels you to try it, use a cheap cob. It ghosts briar for a long time. Maybe the other Captain Black blends are better but I will never try them. If you buy some of this wretched crap I suggest you throw the "tobacco" away and smoke the pouch it came in.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This stuff smells wonderful, unfortunately it lacks where taste is concerned. I'm not really a big aromatics guy, so this was okay. Tongue bite comes easily with this tobacco and it will leave your bowl and step wet with moisture. Let it dry a bit, or just make sure you clean well after smoking this stuff.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend reminds me of honeydew virginia laced with lots of vanilla, smells great smoked, and unsmoked, tastes great but burns hot be careful!

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)

To me, it is the second best blend in Captain Black (white is the best).

I've tried Captain Black Gold in both carbon filter and steel filter pipes. Carbon filter pipes work better than steel filter pipes with CBG as it is wetter than unflavored tobacco; however, I did not find real obstacles in smoking it with steel filters. It is is finely cut, it burns well and leaves but little dottle in the bowl. It tastes good and has a good aroma.

To add a little pleasure to your pipe smoking you may want to add a little whiskey to it (like wetting--not soaking-- a piece of cotton with whiskey and fixing it to the inside of the cover of the tobacco jar with some something like a buckle) and keep the jar tightly closed in a dark place. The next day Captain Black Gold would gain much better quality. In case you find that your CBG got wetter than it is, leave the jar open in fresh air (but not in direct sunlight) for a short time or until you get the level of wetness that suits your smoking.

In the absence of a more expensive tobaccos, White and Gold Captain Black are my alternatives.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I agree with most reviewers; this is a pleasant mild blend, although without a strong character, good for beginners or when you're smoking a lot, or when only the drugstores & supermarkets are open. One of the best of the brand-name tobaccos I have tried, although it leans more toward Virgina than Burley which I prefer. The vanilla flavouring is not overdone IMHO.

This also a good blending tobacco to stretch your supply of a more expensive blend. I have made my own "Morning Mix" from this tobacco plus plain Burley, mild Syrian, and a touch of black Cavendish; perfect for the first pipe of the day.

** NOTE to Site Maintenance: as other reviewers have commented, this is (at least in Canada) a shag (fine long-cut), not a broken-flake cut as stated in the Summary.

Cantrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantrell (14)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't have the years of experience that many smokers on this site have, but I now know enough to stay away from this crap. yechh!

Update: ok ok, in all fairness I tried this straight out of the bag the first time I smoked it (Bad idea). Let this stuff dry for about a week in a glass jar and it's fairly decent. I puffed it slowly in a longer churchwarden-style pipe and got a very nice maple taste with hints of honey and almonds. toward the end of the bowl it almost got too sweet like a pure cane sugar, sadly I cannot get this stuff to finish off dry...

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Very pretty gold color. Hotter than the sun and burns the toung. The flavoring is SUGER and a lot of it. I is by far the Inferno of pipe tobaccos. Stay away from it unless you like it (-:

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

My favorite Captain Black. I seem to remember it was good for blending (in small amounts). Also the only Cap'n with whom I could stay on board for the entire voyage. If I get this brand again, when I am on vacation and out of tobacco and can only find a drug or grocery store, it will be this blend, unless they have Prince Albert or Half & Half. I have some White and Royal lying around and try them once in a blue moon, but can never finish the bowl. I have to either jump ship, or mutiny and throw the captain overboard. Too goopy. This one is the least goopy, to me anyway.

1-29-11 Not so bad, really. A discussion on a pipe forum made me want to try it again, and it is not so bad. Not so bad (I will reiterate), but there are better.

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)

Having stepped away from pipe smoking for a year or two, I (foolishly)favored expediency over quality and went to a local gas station to acquire what I thought was tobacco but, unbeknownst to me, turned out to be what tasted like a harsh blend of wood chips and shredded underwear. Having tried Captain Black white in my younger years, I thought that the gold variety would be a step-up...but it was not the case.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)

Of all the "drugstore blends" out there, this is one of the best among the aromatics. The subtle flavor adds very little moisture to the bowl. The flavor is a fragrant, somewhat sweet burley; you can detect a nuttiness but it is overshadowed by the aromatics. It burns well and mixes well; I used some to blend down a mix that had too much Perique in it. It adds body and buffering flavor to a mix.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The notorious captain.. that beautiful aroma.. but what else to mention.. not much.. a great introductory blend that will be popular as long as it is produced.. but one which if smoked regulary will become nauseating.. i like it on occassion but it is a little bit ill behaved and not very natural tasting.. i like the smell in the tin (or bucket if you will) more than the aroma when smoked.. very enticing.. smokes very moist - maybe you should dry it out a bit.. but i get a very chemical flavor.. and even if i blend it with other things it dominates and destroys.. i tried adding a little rum to it which helped with the flavor but not much with the smoking - it became even harder to smoke.. well well what was i excpecting?

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

this is a love and hate tobacco for me and one of the very few blends that can assault my tongue like a rabid dog. this one gonna be the lightest cased captain black blend,,its a tobacco that i wont recommend unless u have no other choice,,yet the casing is decent and it hold fire well and burn to white ash no moisture and the aroma is acceptable to many, if smoked slowly it can sometimes yield a cool smoke.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was a pleasant surprise. A fellow pip smoker at work smokes this and nothing but. He always tells me I waste my money on the tobacco I smoke when there is Captain Black Gold to be had. I have tried the good Captain's "White" blend in the past, and really wish I hadnt. But the Gold wasnt that bad. First off though, its not really that cheap, I paid 5 bucks for a pouch...not cool. But on further inspection, I liked the way the leaf looked as opposed to the gutter sludge that CBW resembles. Light ribbons with some dark here and there. The smell was better than the CBW as it wasnt as strong in the chemical dept. But while CBW took to flame like a dream, Gold starts off great, and then goes out without warning, like a ghost in the night...oh well. The taste is pretty good, and again just a slightly tuned down version of the CBW flavor.But ZERO tounge bite!!!!...Toward the end of the smoke the flavor change to a more naked tobacco taste as the topping fades away. and now for the kicker...I actually detected nicotine!!!...which blew my mind from reading opposite impressions from the other reviews, and from smoking CBW, which had none. well there you have it gents...a not so in-expensive good tasting cavendish....there is better out there...and there is worse...enjoy!!!

Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I haven't smoked this one in over a decade, but I remember it as quite the crowd pleaser. Less aromatic than Blue, and not as fruity as White, Captain Black Gold is a good beginners' tobacco.

Mild, subtle, and extremely polite (I can hardly see anyone upset by its room note), this semi-chocolate/vanilla blend should be smoked very slowly, as it does have a tendency to bite, and if over puffed it burns hot.

There is a certain resemblance with Gold Block, but whereas that British blend has most certainly a Virginian base, CPG is basically a burely-cavendish, very mellow and monochromatic. Still, if thinking of taking up pipe smoking, this one is a good tobacco to start with.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The first couple of puffs are almost pleasant, but that is all that I find positive about Captain Black Gold.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

A good taste / perfect smell aromatic for the beginner. Nice cut, good pack and a decent burn. I believe that CaptainBlack Royal is much better, but hard to find. Nevertheless, there are much better aromatics out there..

What i did once and made it great was the addition of a pinch of cigar leaf (partagas)!

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I tried captain Black Gold because the reviews I've read are sort of mixed. I smoked three pipe loads to give it a chance and where's the dock because that's the end of the cruise, Captian. It was more aggravating than anything else. One star.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Of the Captain Black line-up, I thing this is the mildest and less sweetened blend. Not bad, quite enjoyable, VERY mild Virginia with a noticeable vanilla topping. Good if you want a mild, sweet smoke with a good room note.

I might get a pouch every now and then just for the sake of variety, but at 8 bucks a pouch I can find better out there.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

I've been sitting on a pouch of this for about 2 years. I had it in an air tight container, but I'm not so sure about the quality of the container. On opening the pouch, it still had a pleasant scent, not overpowering, just pleasant. I loaded up a bowl in my everyday pipe, and this pipes' seen more action than a hooker on payday. Anyway, the first thing I noticed was that it burned hot. I was taking baby drags off this thing, and the tongue bite was terrible. I still prefer the Royal Blue to this one. Is there anything I can mix with this to cool it off a bit? I liked the room note on this, but my tongue won't handle this as is.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Very mild with no bite, and not much of anything else either. Bland is the only way I can describe this blend, slightly sweet but any flavor beyond the generally sweet undertone is not discernable to this reviewer. Nothing otherwise objectionable just an absence of flavor, a disappointment.

Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This stuff smells wonderful, if you love vanilla. The sample I tried was a bit too moist, and there was definitely a tendency to nip at my tongue if I was careless. I left it alone for a week to dry a bit. The taste is very soft and sweet. A confection in a pipe. A bit too sweet for my taste these days. I lean more towards the natural tobaccos, and I had difficulty staying interested in it. It isn't as inexpensive as it once was, and I doubt I will buy any more of it.

I believe the pipes offered on the pouch have been discontinued, and in fact are now collectables, much the way the old RJ Reynolds Grabows are.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Not bad, but as this is usually right next to Captain Black Royal and C.B. White, I would pass. It has a similar vanilla room note to C.B. Royal but much less of the flavor. It tasted like plain cavendish with no topping to me. I would call this C.B. light. This is definitely the least appealing of the Captain Black line. If your after that classic taste and smell buy the blue or white pouch.

Bugenhagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bugenhagen (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I usually never touch Captain Black, but recently I ran out of the good stuff and while waiting for a new shipment of quality leaf, I went over to the local drugstore in hopes of finding something to tide me over.

It was a choice between Borkum Riff and Captain Black, so I chose the latter, in the Gold pack. I prefer the Gold to the other Captain Blacks because the vanilla topping is more subtle, and because the ribbon cut cavendish without hunks of Black Cavendish is easy to smoke and less harsh on my throat.

The pouch that I bought was at just about the right level of dryness; not crispy and dusty, yet not goopy and sticky either. It smells nice and loads into a pipe with ease. This is a great cheap tobacco for someone to start out with because of the way it packs in the bowl. Packing a pipe properly is, in my opinion, one of the hurdles that a newbie has to jump in order to become a successful pipe smoker.

When first lit, CB Gold gives of a strong vanilla aroma and taste, but that soon gives way to a mild natural tobacco taste. The vanilla never goes away, but it doesn't utterly kill the tobacco flavor either.

This is a quick smoke. I averaged a bowl in about 15 to 20 minutes. And despite this pace, it never got hot.

Overall, it wasn't a very satisfying smoke. It took 3 or 4 bowls to satisfy the way one of my regular premium tobaccos does. After a while I got really tired of the vanilla flavor. Luckily the UPS truck showed up today with a tin of Marlin Flake and 4 oz. of McClelland 5100 Red Cake.

Not bad for an emergency replacement when nothing better is available, and a good choice for a first try at pipe smoking, but I won't keep any of this around unless I again stupidly run out of the good stuff.

Bugenhagen

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

As an aromatic, this seems to be made with good quality leaf: you can see that by the fact that it smokes pretty cool, not extremely wet (for an aromatic,at least)and you won't need to relight a hundred times. It keeps the flavour throughout the bowl, and that's another good point. A good tobacco, if you like aromatics, and it isn't expensive, which helps too!

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I believe the time has come for someone to do a comparison of the Captain Black line of pipe tobaccos from Lane limited. I have decided not to review the Red or Cherry Flavor as it is so different from the others and if you like cherry then you do, if not then only the others are relevant. This leaves:

Royal ( dark blue pouch ), Light ( light blue pouch ), Gold ( golden pouch ) Captain Black or ?Captain Black White? ( white pouch ).

Light ( light blue pouch ) :

The pouch says carefully selected tobaccos. It is a fine ribbon cut of toast colored light tobaccos. The tobacco is the driest to the touch of all the CB and also has the least noticeable pouch aroma ( which is still strong. It is still the same CB smell with an almost yogurt like quality or mildness to it. OK this stuff burns like an oil soaked rag. Produces a decent but short lived smoke and tastes of almost nothing and just kind of dries the pallet. The room note is perhaps the least pleasant of the CB but this is still within the famous pleasant room note of CB barely but not unpleasant. This is so light that it is probably the only one of the CB series that I could actually recommend to the novice as an almost non smoke ( I think one should try something like an English first as it bites less and will develop better skills so I wouldn?t recommend any CB to the novice, but hey whatever ). I personally wont finish the entire pouch or keep this stuff around. Burns to salt and pepper ash and leaves small black dottle in bottom of bowl. Somewhat harsh on the mouth more so than the other CB at least for me. The worst of the CB for me.

Gold ( golden pouch ) :

The pouch says matured golden Cavendish tobaccos. It is a fine golden ribbon cut. Not as dry to the touch as the Light but still somewhat drier than the others. It is however now getting sticky as are the others with exception of the Light. Same CB pouch aroma but stronger than the Light and weaker than the others. It boarders on that mellow yogurt like roundness to the aroma and the more overwhelming aroma of the other CB flavors. This stuff burns like wild fire, smoke is in good quantity but once again dry and short lasting somewhat aggressive on the pallet and hot. Light and I would recommend it over the actual Light as it has some flavor key work is some. Now we get that famous CB room note in a stronger sense. Once again small moist black dottle and a more salt than pepper salt and pepper ash. Better than the Light but worse than all the other CB for me. Won?t finish it or keep it around.

Captain Black or ?Captain Black White? ( white pouch ) :

The Pouch says rich black Cavendish and mellowed burleys. It is a kind of ribbon cut but shot and stubby. This is the stickiest of all the CB. An overwhelming pouch aroma the strongest of the CB. That famous killer room note and also somewhat harsh on the gums. Burns relatively well fore such a wet feel. Decent smoke but not heavy or very thick. I think of all the CB this is the most common and if only drug store brands are available and the Royal is not stocked then this is an acceptable alternative. The old standard is just that an old standard and will be around forever. I say give it a try once. I won?t keep it around but might smoke a few bowls of it since I have the pouch here.

Royal ( dark blue pouch ),

The Pouch says aromatic black and golden Cavendish. A ribbon cut of black and golden Cavendish. Somewhat sticky to the touch but not as much as the white. A good burn and decent smoke but not heavy and doesn?t last. The pouch aroma is strong but not as overwhelming as the white. Good room note with that expected CB smell. I think this is the best of the CB series. An acceptable smoke and the better of the drugstore finds. I wouldn?t pass up some GLPease for it but if nothing else is around I would reach for this over the others on the local hardware store shelves. I guess give it a try and se what happens. Yes watch out for the heat and bite if you are used to better tobaccos especially if you are used to English blends as the fine ribbon cut Cavendish?s laden with topper will burn hot and wet.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I finally broke down and purchased some of this blend. My tastes are usually for fuller balkans and english blends, but after being shamed by a fellow pipesmoker who believes this is the best tobac He has ever smoked, I gave in. I went to my local Drugstore and plunked down $4.00 for a 1.5 oz pouch. Upon opening you are greeted by golden cavendish and a delicious vanilla topping. I easily loaded the ribbon-cut into my Ferndown Dublin dedicated to aromatics and gave it a whirl. Lighting was easy, no relight was necessary. Flavor: VANILLA. About mid-bowl the casing mellows and the mild cavendish begins to assert itself, which is not saying too much.It finishes nicely with not too much goo at the bottom of the bowl, nothing a pipe cleaner can't take care of. This is a mellow, smooth aromatic. Tongue-bite? Not possible. This blend is a perfect beginner blend and I guess for what it is, it is a classic. This is definitely a nostalgia blend which can trigger many memories, the room note caused one of my customers to recall her father due to his smoking this blend while she was growing up, I suppose that is one of the positive parts of our hobby. Okay, okay, I won't be a tobacco snob anymore (God willing). Rating: 4 out of 5 points (for an aromatic). I will definitely smoke this on occassion. Enjoy...

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The quintessential beginner's tobacco, but worthy of an occasional visit from any level of pipe smoker.

Pleasant vanilla aroma and casing. Check. Smooth smoking. Check. Tongue bite-free. Check. Forgiving. Check. Clean burning. Check.

Like Captain Black Blue, I always have time to smoke this. I especially like this tobacco while in public places like the coffee shop or IHOP. If I'm to meet my friends for a good 4 hour discussion at the kaffehaus, I like to swimg by the store and pick up a pouch of this on the way. Non-smokers like it, cigarette smokers feel inadequate around it and I enjoy the ease of mind that comes with not having to worry about tobacco. This is meant to be enjoyed, not analyzed and sweated over like a premium, complex tobacco.

Good stuff. Good rating. This Cap'n likes this Captain's cut.

Edit Note: I just wanted to add that smoking this in a MM corn cob is probably the best way to enjoy it. Those corn cob pipes smoke so well that you wonder why they aren't sold for three times their price!