The traditional English blend, distinct, royal and noble. An admirably skilled blend of pure tobaccos. Any smoker whose first love is for the finest quality mixed together without adulteration will fall in love with this one.

BrandLane Limited
Blended ByLane Limited
ProductionRe-release
Strength
Taste
nodrog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nodrog (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Just got a lb. from Pipes and Cigars for $25! so I thought I'd give it a try, damn! I'm glad I did!!!! I'm a fan of va/pers and matured Virginia's and English blends. Packed my Ferndown, two lights to get it going and the rest was a genuine pleasure! 1st quarter of the bowl was the latakia up front, but then it settled into a quite a tasteful smoke. The Virginia came through as did the orientals, just ever so slightly. A little bit of sweetness here and there, just enough to make it more dimensional than other englishes. Tons of creamy smoke! No harshness! Didn't bite the tongue! Easily stayed lit! I just totally enjoyed this blend.

Pipe Used: Ferndown

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Balkan supreme sterling Balkan.

rowediddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rowediddy (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Back from the dead! Thanks to lane for bringing back this lat bomb. If you don't like English blends or Latakia, move along, this one isn't for you. But if like me, you revel in that incenseish first light of a Latakia blend, you should give this a try. Bought a pound, good quality tobacco with no sticks or stems. Lights easily and required only one relight after an ash dump. No casing detected and no goop in the bowl. Good price as well.

Pipe Used: Large briar

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Vintage Syrian , black house, blue mountain..

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

It sad that Lane Limited has discontinued this fine blend as in my opinion no other bulk English for the price could even come close to it. Smokey. sweet, smooth and no bite issues if smoked correctly. Smokes cool, burns slow and to a fine white ash. The flavor is outstanding. Fortunately, I have a couple of pounds of this delightful Latakia bomb stashed away.

If you happen to run across it at your local tobacconist, grab it. It's so worth it.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (33)

I have just tried the resurrected Lane Limited BS-005 and I liked it. Although I have smoked well over 500 pipe mixtures, I do not think that I have had this before. Of course, Lane bulks are sold under a myriad of names in pipe shops, but I liked this enough to think that if I had sampled it previously that I would have found out the blend behind the moniker.

While R.J. Reynolds owned Lane they cut production of a great number of their bulks and other tobaccos and this was one of them. Since the Scandinavian Tobacco Group took over Lane in 2011, a considerable number of the offerings have been resurrected.

This is a pretty stout latakia, oriental, Virginia mixture, with the latakia taste definitely out front. The oriental is there in a lesser note. There is enough Virginia to give a counterbalance to the latakia/oriental components.

The cut is ribbon. Expect no trouble in lighting or in keeping this going. Unless you puff like a maniac you will have no problems with tongue bite.

The room note will be abhorred by non smokers. Of course I am not aware of the aroma while smoking this, but reentering the room shortly after a smoke it is OK with me.

Some smokers do not like latakia or at least they do not with any more than a condimental presence. They can mark this off their list. Those who enjoy latakia blends often or at least on occasion will likely find this as an appealing mixture. I would rate the strength of this as a latakia blend as slightly stronger than medium.

I used 6 or 7 different pipes while smoking the baggie, and they all handled the mixture quite well. I utilized low priced Petersons and budget priced Leonessas the most. They did as well as the Dunhills with this offering.

Maven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maven (1)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

I'll make this short, but not sweet. I hate sweet, whether it's pipe tobacco or cutesy-poo, in any form.

Okay, I like candy.

Lane's BS-005 is a very non-sweet smoke that I've been puffing away at for over thirty years. I've found other tobaccos I like as a very occasional change, but nothing to replace 005 as my favorite and steady smoke. LIke the store description says, this is the pure and real thing. I like it even better than Lane's quite good "superior" version - "Crown Achievement".

A note of criticism regarding reviewers, if I may:

One who dislikes Latakia, or English/Balkan blends in general, will never like this and has absolutely no business saying anything about it in a review. (Give ME any "aromatic", and I'm going to give it a determined thumbs-down every time.) My comment is meant solely to place various prior, and doubtless subsequent, comments in perspective; as well as to encourage those who might otherwise ignore this little masterpiece, due to false representation.

That having been said: paradoxically, to the unacquainted, I would NOT recommend my all-time favorite as an intro to English/Balkan blends. Just as, for example, one who thinks he doesn't like Scotch Whisky is hardly advised to start out with, say, the Isle of Islay's best pure malt, "Laphroaig".

My suggestion for an introduction would be one of the G.L. Pease blends: "Odyssey" or perhaps "Caravan". I came to my favorite Lane by way of Rattray's "Red Rapparee," but I'm not sure Rattray is the same as it was forty years ago and it is too heavy in virginia, anyway.

Another advantage this blend has is that it comes only in bulk and can be acquired quite inexpensively, especially if one has enough storage space to accommodate it in 5 lb. lots.

In fine, when it comes to real-McCoy ENGLISH, Lane BS-005 is, in Tom Wolfe's meaning of the phrase, truly the "Right Stuff."

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (10)

Back in 1980 when I first started smoking a pipe... I had no knowledge as well "somebody" had not invented in the internet yet... of all these wonderful English / Balkan style blends. I was content with my OTC pouch of riff or black or SWR and putting it into my 20 Dr. G. Life was good. Fast forward to a few weeks ago.. when I noticed the Lane had "re-introduced" a classic Balkan blend.. so off went an order for 4oz of bulk.. and darn glad I did. The price.. fantastic.. the pouch note puts me in my smokey campfire zone..The moisture was just right from the bag... the cut of this blend makes packing a breeze.. from charing light you know you are going to like this alot and as you are trying to find just one more flake or two to light at the bottom the bowl.. your smile and relaxed state of mind tell you this was money well spent. Is it a Balkan Sobranie.. no clue.. never smoked it... is it a well rounded you want to smoke more English/ Balkan blend.. you can bet your Sherlock Deerstalker cap it is. Two thumbs up across the board. Happy Smoking Cheers Mike

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent & GBD Century Matt Nosewarmer

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: In the family as many of the noted Balkan / Sobanie style blends.. the difference being this is in bulk at a very fair price..

I found this blend, named Old Balkan, in my smoke shop bulk section. It smelled great in the jar and the price was right so I purchased a few ounces.

Upon getting it home, I noticed that there was no humectant and this blend dried out nicely after about an hour. I packed a bowl of this mixture of dark, meduim brown and light brown, small ribbons into a savinelli bulldog and started with a good charring light and then hit it with the true light.

Ok this is good....the first 1/3 was cool and medium full in flavor...nicely prominent was the latakia. The second third gathered some strength and settled nicely into a wonderfully mellow, burnt, woodsy olfactory and gustatory experience.

The finish was no different except there was a slight bit of dottle to remove from the very bottom of my bowl; this was most likely due to my packing the bowl too tightly. For the price and wonderful lack of bitterness and sting, which I have encountered in some other Balkans, this blend is a good inexpensive keeper.

jlinge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlinge (17)

This is a review of that is more of a complaint since this blend has been discontinued. It was one of the last of Lane blends that contain any Latakia (such as Crown Achievement). That's a real pity. They seem to be concentrating on excessively aromatic stuff these days and as a confirmed English blend nut I can only say---goodbye Lane! The Latakia was nicely balanced and smoky notes predominated more towards the end of a bowl. There was occasional bite, and the bowl finished as white ash without goop. Try Old Lodge or Squadron Leader.

I've tried few of the English blends made by Lane and they all seem to follow a common path, you can detect a common taste. I happen to like it, so I like this blend too. Stronger than 10 Downing St. and sensibly lighter than Crown Achievement, it sets itself roughly at the same A-100 level, but it's smoother and it's by far the easiest smoking blend of the whole bunch. This last thing is probably due to the lighter use of humectants; being this one drier, the burning is even, easy and without the need for relighting to the end of the bowl. The flavour is all there, round, full, while the medium body makes it an all-day smoke of good quality. Sure: many better and more complex blends are out there nowadays, but at that price this is worth its salt.

Uncle Lew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Lew (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

As a new reviewer (but an old pipe smoker), I felt the need to jump in on this blend after reading comments from fellow reviewers over their lack of enthusiasm.

First off, I LOVE English and Balkan blends. The aroma given off by smokey Latakia properly mixed with Turkish, Orientals, Virginias, even lawn grass, sends my nose into olfactory overload. My first bowl of BS-005 confirmed that I had found yet one more outstanding English blend and brought me into the inner circle of other Lane tobacco lovers.

The first bowl was an interesting experience - the first 1/3 was cool, satisfying and I kept thinking, 'hmmm not bad, but it won't last...it's not expensive enough.' During the second 1/3 of the bowl...'hey, this stuff is pretty good!' The final 1/3 had me wanting more. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting this. I've since tried several other Lane blends, including HGL Full English, which is not, in my humble opinion, as good as BS-005. (HGLFE seems to have a odd aroma reminiscent of my grandmother's perfume.)

By way of comparison, BS-005 is heavier in Latakia than Early Morning Pipe, Penzance, Renaissance, and Raven's Wing. It smokes dry, leaves a fine, non-goopy ash without residue and unlike Pipestud, I cannot detect any moisturizing agent. In fact, my preference is towards drier tobaccos and I'll often leave newly purchased bags and tins open for a couple days. BS-005 dried out so successfully I may have to mist it back to a slightly moister existence.

I give BS-005 4 stars. If you enjoy tobaccos like 965, consider putting BS-005 into your rotation.

-- U.L (Uncle Lew) approved.

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (34)

Disappointed with this one from Lane. It's an English blend that has (to my taste) a slightly high spicey quality that I find distracts from the overall balance of tobaccos. I like a small amount of spice in English style tobaccos (Stokkebye English Oriental is a fine example) but this one takes the spiciness too close to the edge of acceptability. I find too much pepper or spice in a tobacco blend can cause 'spice bite' on the tongue (similar to tongue bite caused by tobaccos burning too hot), and although this Lane BS-005 didn't do that I could feel it dangerously close to the limit, which made me uncomfortable and caused me to be cautious in smoking this blend.

When I smoke my pipe I want to be able to relax and enjoy, and unfortunately this one didn't fit the bill.

Probably good for those who prefer their tobaccos on the spicier side, but it didn't suit my taste, and isn't what I look for in a quality English style tobacco.

Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Strong

When I saw this blend had been reviewed recently, I scrambled for my tobacco diary because I had remembered smoking this tobacco, but could not remember my impressions. The first sentence in my diary says: Forgettable blend.

BS-005 is distributed to pipe shops around the country to include as a bulk offering. It is one of those tobaccos that shops give proprietary names to. My local tobacconist sells it under the name Balkan Supreme. I grabbed some and took it to my pipe club meeting a year or so ago.

My tobacconist says it is not a very popular bulk blend. There is a reason, - it is quite foul. It boasts a notoriously nasty flavor, but it is steamed enough to be easy on the palate. Like many of the Lane bulk blends, it contains a moisturizing agent that women would die to get a hold of. Otherwise, it's forgettable indeed, particularly for you veteran smokers who appreciate some flavor with your pipe. IMO, BS-005 stands for the blender's BS descriptive of this blend times 5!

Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

The sample I received of this bulk tobacco confirmed to me why I don't usually smoke English blends. The pouch aroma was typical English from a mix of wide ribbons of light brown to black tobacco with some greenish added in small quantity. I found the taste initially harsh and becoming even bitter as the smoke progressed. However, in fairness, it smoked cool and dry and I did finish the sample, so perhaps compared to other English blends that I've dumped, this one was apparently better. I guess traditional English blends are just not for me but if this is your choice, you might try this one.