Burley Light without a bite, a breakthrough in pipe tobaccos. Here`s a Burley blend without Burley's traditional bite and with Lane Limited`s fabulous aroma. This unique blend is not for the Cavendish smoker, but the person who likes Burley.

BrandLane Limited

2.3
Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is what the name says it is, Burley and it's light without a bite. There is no bite because it is so light. The taste is very nice though, sutle, lightly sweet. From other reviews I hear that the flavouring is Coconut. I would have never guessed that in a hundred years, but that just may be what it is.If it is coconut, it takes on a very different and magical taste and aroma with this blend.

Update 07/10/2012 This is begining to be one of my favorite smokes. It has something about it that takes me back to the late 1960's and 1970's and reminds me of my dad's pipe aromas.I prefer a good burley blend and this one is excellent. If you get tounge bite with this blend you need to take pipe smoking lessons. (P.S. I mix this with Carter Hall).

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

No complexity to speak of, besides the molasses and brown sugar sweetness and a little nuttiness. If it does have a coconut topping, the coconut is very mild. I didn't notice a change in the flavor from beginning to end. It burned well, though a little moist, and no bite as the name suggests. A little too light for my personal taste, but I did enjoy it. I'd grade it as a pretty decent OTC because it fits that mold, and I think it was purposely designed that way. A work and play smoke when you just want a pleasant tasting burley that you don't have to think about much. Probably deserves another half star.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Since I am new in this forum, let me say that I have been a burley based smoker for for 36 years so I tend in that direction but I actually smoke burley based English Blends with a touch of a sweetener on the Latakia. But when I smoke my corncob I like more of a straight burley type blend for a simple clean smoke which is how I had this blend on hand.

I moved to a new house eight years ago and lost a bag of this tobacco during the move. I just found it going through old boxes in my attic and decided to see what I have. I opened the bag and it actually felt and smelled smokable. I did not have to add a thing to revive it! But it was much drier and it actually mellowed a lot upon smoking it even though burleys are not like virginias in getting better with aging. This defied that logic however and became a very creamy, nutty smoke with just a faint hint of the vanilla and that room aroma that people comment favorably on. I really think the secret to smoking this tobacco is to really dry it out before smoking. I am able now to smoke it all the way down without even a trace of wetness and it is still as gentle as it can be. I never have understood how anybody, especially a virginia or aromatic smoker could ever call this a tongue burner. I give it a three star for what it is and just take away one for what it isn't.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Raw Score = 45

Rated Percentage = 75%

Comment = Mild, Smooth, great Bite Free Burley Flavor

Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I tried this blend at the same pipe club meeting attended by OSR. We all pretty much agreed that it stayed lit well considering it was a goop laden aromatic. It also tasted better the farther down the bowl it was smoked -- opposite the way most Burley based tobaccos smoke.

Anyway, the above are the positives. OSR hit the negatives perfectly. Yucky stuff!

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (21)

I like the burley flavor of this tobacco and the fact you can puff away without the dreadful tongue bite, but wish this lane offering had a bit more of a nicotine kick. This is a tobacco I would smoke now and again, but wouldn't break the top 10 in my rotation

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: smoking pipes

I bought this at a B & M while on the road. All I had with me on this trip was some lat blends. I put this in a pipe and thought it tasted great, but later tried it after smoking some other blends and its inferiority soon started to show. Still it is not all bad.

It is a good no brainer for when you are into something and not paying much attention to your pipe. It does smoke cool and biteless as the title describes and the room note is non offensive and gives off an old codger aroma that will win you praise from the non smokers.

It is just not too exciting. It is called a burley, but would land more in the mild aromatic range in my opinion. If you are looking for burley, I would start at many other blends before this one as it does not give you an accurate indicator of what burley tastes like under the topping.

I'm going two stars on this as it wasn't bad and it is both affordable and available.

Purchased From: Local B & M

twiddledee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twiddledee (2)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Straight up Burley a little on the mild side. Short on Vitamin N. Nice aroma. I enjoy smoking this in a cob as is, also mixed it equal parts with Lanes Black Cavendish.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow, Royal Duke, and a cob

Purchased From: Blue Ridge Tobacco and Candle, Winston Salem, NC

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I use it occasionally to to soften an aromatic that might be a little to sweet by itself that is the only reason I keep some on hand.

Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

My first impulse was to give it four stars for being exactly what it is billed to be. Burley. Light. Bite free. But there is a bit more to it than B, L, and WB. It has a mild aromatic topping. Someone described it as smelling like pastry. Yeah, that's close.

It burns well and has a clean taste, but very little of it.

The tobacco is probably too lacking in taste for most people, myself included. The whole purpose of burley is taste. Yet even though it is low on taste, I think the topping would limit its usefulness as a neutral component to weaken blends.

I will go with the consensus opinion of two stars.

Durwood Sauls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durwood Sauls (8)

I stayed away from Burleys for a long time on the suggestion of my tobacconist, but one day I found this labelled as "Papa's Pouch" at a small cigar shop, and out of the few choices they had, this smelled the best in the jar. So, I tried it.

It is a Burley blend, mild, slightly nutty/earthy naturally. But, the casing I believe is coconut. I don't remember where I heard/read this but it makes sense. At first I thought it was vanilla, or some kind of vanilla/almond/who-knows-what casing concoction, but indeed coconut makes the most sense when I think of it as I'm smoking it.

I really like this, it's simple, hard to not enjoy, but I must be in the mood for a no-fuss, and, for me a very mild smoke. Slightly sweet, at least on my palette because of the casing. This isn't the best Burley out there by any means but it's a good place to start if you're like me and want to transition away from the heavily cased aromatics to something a bit more natural. Now this blend is one of only two semi-aromatic blends I keep in my rotation. And, as other reviewers have mentioned it will ghost a briar, so beware. I tend to smoke this in the same pipe as my MacBaren Navy Flake, which is the only other cased tobacco I smoke. For me they don't clash if the bowl is ghosted by either.

I will warn you, it may claim to be Without Bite, but it will bite you if you puff away looking for more of that delicious flavor. It's bitten me more than once, I put it on par with the infamous MacBaren bite. So, puff slowly, and don't go trying to coax anymore out of it than it gives. I've made that mistake hoping for a more robust, fuller smoke out of this. It is what it is, mild, smooth, with a room note reminiscent of your grandpa's workshop.

pipe dream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dream (11)

This is a wonderful burley in a world of complex pipe smokers.It pacts well lights well and smokes superbly. you can mix it with almost anything and improve it.And it does get a mellow taste with age.Sometimes its nice to have an uncomplicated tobacco that gives you pleasure over and over again.I smoke many different tobaccos and blends blwb keeps a place in my rotation. Just bought another 20lbs.I use it to break in my Vipratis.after 50+ years of pipe smoking this one is good for the beginner or experienced smoker .4 stars for sure!

pinker73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinker73 (1)

Ok. First off, forget all the people trying to discern all the different flavours and exact aroma notes, etc. This isn't a wine, it's tobacco. You smoke it. It either tastes good, or it doesn't. It either smells good, or it doesn't. As far as the BLWB goes, it's my personal favourite. I've tried many a pipe tobacco since I began smoking a pipe, and this is the best for me. It tastes great, it smells great, and better yet, the wife doesn't mind when I smoke it in the house! Quite possibly the best thing about this tobacco for me, is that when I smoke it, it reminds me of my Grandfather when he used to smoke his pipe. I highly recommend the BLWB to anyone who enjoys a good traditional smoke. Now, if only I could find it in Ontario Canada...

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The pouch aroma of this crimp-cut mixture is dominated by a pastry aroma with a slight burley grassiness.

The flavor is of light and brown burleys and a sweetly ingratiating pastry topping that is hard to dislike.

BLWB is a dependably pleasing blend, easily smoked all day, which teeters on the edge of the simplistic yet always seems to beg for another bowl. This will likely ghost a briar over time. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

Huck Finn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huck Finn (6)

Lets start by saying a straight up burley is a little tough to describe. There is little to go on from available blender information, but from its flavor there appears to be a light casing involved. True to its name it does not bite – whether or not this is the defining characteristic of this blend is arguable. The taste of this tobacco is not objectionable and I like to give it the occasional try just to keep things interesting. It has a discernable sweetness to it and is a nice backdrop to those times when one doesn't want anything more nuanced than just a simple pipe of tobacco.

Nothingfancy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nothingfancy (6)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I stuck my nose in the jar at my tobaccanist's shop it smelled sweet and smooth. I was let down with hopes that it would smoke accordingly. I was disappointed to say the least. Smoked a full chamber twice and won't torture myself to try to like it again.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

Having a very nice relationship over the last 20 years of Pipesmoking with Lane Limited Blends, I was very pleased to discover BLWB recently. It is sold under the name "Sweet Burley" at my local B&M. I have smoked English, VaPers, and Aromatics of all kinds, and am rarely disappointed with Lane's selection. And this is no exception. I found out through a little research that the light topping applied to this baccy is actually Coconut! Sounds awful, but it translates into a very mild, flavorful smoke! While it indeed will bite if puffed too aggresively, in BLWB's defense, so does all other Burley Blends out there, IMHO...But this is by far the one with the least amount of bite. I have become very sensitive to Nicotine as I approach middle age, and BLWB has little to no nico-kick, which is just fine with me. I would recommend this fine baccy to both novice and longtime pipers without hesitation!

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I liked this for two reasons. It is simple to smoke, extremely mild and easy burning. I too believe the nomenclature is BLWB (no A between the W and B). It is a good change of pace when one has been smoking STRONG stuff. It seems to be lacking Vitamin N. This really is pretty good.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

I find this particular Burley blend to be only marginal in quality if smoked straight. The topping doesn't really do anything for it in terms of flavor and it burns rather quickly. No real Burley flavor to speak of and despite it's name, it can and will bite.

On a more positive note, when used as a mixer, for example 50/50 with BCA, it adds up to a pretty decent all day smoke.

LtMac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LtMac (21)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I bought four ounces of this a long time ago when I started sampling burley pipe tobaccos. I still have most of it in a jar.

This burley blend is entirely too wet and too mild for me. The room note is pleasant, but the taste to me is flat and I detect virtually no nicotine content. It smells good in the pouch, sort of a honey aroma, but the taste, flavor, and strength can't compare to Carter Hall or Prince Albert in my opinion.

Only one star for Burley Light Without A Bite.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant

I was lured into smoking this before I saw the reviews here and have been terribly disappointed. It really threw me a curve with its description, but I believe that there may be some laxity in quality control since I see (feel) differences of opinion in reviews.

I like the pouch aroma and the room note. I like the texture and they easy way it packs. I like the way it lights and stays lit. It has never bit. But man, can it get strong, especially close to the bottom. As it gets down to the dregs, there comes out a distinct bitterness that is always there in every pipe that I have tried it in. Drying it out has helped, but not enough for me.

I believe some reviewers comments are true about the easy flavor of this stuff making me puff too hard in the beginning trying to get some flavor and it makes it stronger at the end, but I have diligently tried to puff slowly and gently from the get-go but all this does is to give me a totally unsatisfying smoke in trying to get something out of it.

Maybe I'll keep it around, as others suggest, to use in blending, but as a regular smoking baccy, no thanks. I think that it would be a disservice even to ever recommend this for a beginner.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

UPDATE: This is part of the beleagured semi-aromatic burley genre. These seldom turn out very good and BLWB is certainly no exception. Does it smell good? yes. Does it have the nice smooth set it and forget it smokability of other straight burlies? No. Will it give you anywhere near the RDA of vitamin N? Let me put it this way, there is none in this tobacco. It was obvious that lots of work went into this blend. The room note was better than average but unfortunately, for me at least, it fell well short in most other areas.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: The taste and room note is very good. The hint of vanilla was enough to mitigate the cigarish taste of some predominantly burley blends but not so thick that it tastes like aroma therapy candles. This blend is definitely not an aromatic and burley runs the show. A good social blend just the same because of room note and overall smokeability. A nice smooth burley. This is simultaneously its strength and weakness. Nothing unpleasant about this blend, very enjoyable actually but after a few hours of smoking it I really start to crave a good nicotine hit and have to switch to something a bit more substantial

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

The smell in the pouch was honey and light berry. Once lit it gave the room a slightly fragrant aroma. Tasted very much like Kentucky Club with a tinge of vanilla to me. This will be a good work smoke for those times when relaxation is not a concern.

z_evil_genius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
z_evil_genius (6)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is my second review of this tobacco. Originally, it started off as a great starter for first-timers. I would have recommended it to anyone who wanted to start smoking a pipe. It smelled good in the bag and was mild and easy to light. But whoa, was I wrong. The second time I smoked it, it was bitter and awful. That goop others had mentioned, not apparent in the first bowl, was like a thick disgusting tar on the second. It seems to have left an everlasting taint requiring me to remove all the cake and go to the alcohol method of cleaning the entire pipe. I'm just glad I didn't use my meer. Horrible stuff!

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I remember my Father's reaction to this blend's name, '. . without a bite, that means it does.' He was right. This bit me, because I was drawing very hard in search of flavor and nicotine; two things this burley has none of. This blend is burley waiting for a casing. From this and Prince Albert, I learned I don't have much lust for straight burley. It is good for what it is, though.(maybe a good blender burley) Just not for me.

Side note. . I bought at the same time BLWB and a couple oz.'s of Tinderbox's Nut and Honey. Seems to me to be BLWB with a fairly strong, not too sweet nut flavor. it's rather good as aromatics go, if weak. I mention this here because I don't see it listed anywhere under T-box or Lane. happy smoke---

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

Not bad stuff. Sweet, but not quite as much flavor or srength as I would have liked. Nice to mix with other OTC burlies to sweeten them up.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)

Here is a blend which lives up to its namesake. It is light in color, light in weight, light in nicotine, and light in flavor. While this may sound completely uninviting, if I am in the mood for an uncomplicated and easy to tend smoke with a wonderful aroma, this is what I reach for. As the name states, this blend contains only burley. It is tastefully sweetened with a light coconut essence. It is a very dry and light weight ribbon cut which burns like wildfire if not packed very tightly. Even when packed tightly, a bowl of this lasts about one-third the time of any other blend I have tried. If you are a light puffer like myself, the easy burn is an advantage as little relighting is needed. For this reason it is a favorite smoke of mine when I want to smoke but do not want to be distracted by tending my pipe. The flavor is a straightforward yet understated one of burley and the coconut essence. It tastes like this throughout the entire bowl and never becomes bitter or bland towards the bottom like burley and aromatic blends often do. It burns completely dry and leaves a wonderful aroma in the room of tobacco and the coconut essence. This would be a great blend for new pipe smokers due to its easy packing and light yet natural flavor. Available from Tinder Box, San Francisco, CA.

3/14/2006 -- Still recommended but really too mild tasting to be more than an occasional smoke for me.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)

I'm not sure if every reviewer has the same tobacco, or if this has changed over time, or if what I have sampled (sold somewhere else under a different name) is BLWB. However, I am pretty sure it is, having seen this bulk, entirely medium brown, somewhat coarsely cut, fluffy, slightly cased burley in a number of places.

Anyway I would not call this a goop laden aromatic. It is a semi-aromatic, mostly all burley blend with maybe a little brown Cavendish.

I find the flavoring very nice and it compliments the taste of the slightly nutty, buttery burley. It is light and it is hard to make this bite, no doubt.

Cleaner and better tasting than the drugstore burleys but not as strong either. I would really like this if it were a medium instead of a light ( BMWB). I can smoke this all the way to the bottom with very little or no goop, going very slowly. A solid and simple two to three star blend.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

If you want to smoke bulk burley blends, this is one to try. Mild enough to smoke several bowls throughout the day without getting tongue bite. Great aroma, mild but satisfying taste and inexpensive. An excellent mild every day/all day smoke.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Yuck. Burns hot, wet and tastes horrid. A poor quality burley that has no appeal whatsoever.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Another of Lane's ubiquitous American aromatics. This mild burley burns well, tastes nice, and smells great,like toasted coconut. It is very inexpensive, and as with many of Lane's blends, can serve as potpourri for your sock drawer. It does burn fast,and it can finish wet, so a slow, gentle puffing cadence is best. An American classic.

I would give this three stars in the American Aromatics group. It did not seem overly goopy and was well behaved overall. Would make a good starter smoke for newbies. Pretty much bite free and does burn rather quickly. Not unusual in this category.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The name is accurate - it's light, and it doesn't bite. Easy to pack and light. Completely one-dimensional.

It was a bit goopy for me, when I got to the bottom of the bowl I could hear sizzling sounds as the fire hit the wetter spots.

I don't think it's all that horrible, but it's not something I would keep on hand either.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Okay, to start off with, I've been smoking a pipe for about 8 years now with only one local tobacco shop within an hours drive from my house. It's the typical "we cater to cigar smokers" shop and only has a handful of Lane and Stokkebye bulks...that said, I really like this stuff and I smoke it more than the tinned stuff I buy off the 'Net. For me, it's the perfect everyday smoke. It has tobacco flavor underneath the topping (which I have a hard time tasting), it has that Captain Black aroma which others like, it has no bite at all and it burns and lights extremely well. I get no bitter taste like I do with Prince Albert or some of the other drugstore blends and I can enjoy both this and Granger when I'm out of some of my fancier stuff. This is the blend I load up in a trusty Grabow (with filter) and hunt Dunhills for at the local flea markets every now and then. LOL. My only con on the tobacco is that it smokes a bit wet in a full bent, so the Grabow filters are appreciated. I can honestly say that there's nothing wrong with this stuff in my eyes...

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

One word: NASTY

20 years ago this was an entirely different tobacco. Back then it was in big chunks, kind of an 'irregular cube' cut.

We had our pipe smoking contest tonight and when I heard that we would be using Burley Light I wasn't too sad; From what I remembered this was a cool smoking and fairly decent tobacco for an aromatic.

This current stuff resembles floor sweepings! The cut is nothing like it used to be and the moisture content must have been 25% or more.

Sorry guys, this stuff is horrid. If you want a decent aromatic buy some Captain Black "White Label" and be done with it.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This has one of the nicest aromas I've ever smelled, either in or out of the pipe. I just found it unsatisfying and a bit coarse toward the bottom of the bowl. I might try it again later.