The fragrance of Black Raspberry embraces a well-rounded blend of flavorful Virginias, mellow Burley and Black Cavendish tobaccos.

BrandLane Limited
Blended ByLane Limited
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
FlavoringRaspberry
Strength
Taste

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a fairly heavily aromatic that needs some dry time before smoking in order to get the best results. The pleasant black raspberry flavor comes through during the first half of the bowl but in the latter stages it just tastes very sweet. It’s very low in nicotine content, not bitter and overall not bad. If you are looking for tobacco flavor, there isn’t much here and that’s where the problem lies for me as I tend to prefer aromatics that complement the tobacco rather than mask it.

Pipe Used: Peterson Bulldog, cob

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A nice surprise! You can really taste the raspberry, plus you've got a very nice blend of tobacco here. Only a bit moist, not bitey at all. Lights fairly easy and burns right to the bottom of the bowl with good taste and minimal fuss. This was the surprise out of a big sampling of aromatics I planned and it sort of sat around because I'm not a raspberry fan. But the quality blew away some good names and made a heck of an impression on me. I just ordered a tin of LEO and I will definitely make Lane Black Raspberry a regular item in my collection. Hope this helps!

Pipe Used: MO Meerschaum Freehand

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

JoeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeMan (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I've been on the hunt for 2 years for those sweet, tasty, desserty aromatics which don't simply smell good in the tin or pouch, but also deliver the flavor and room note. Lanes Black Raspberry does that. You taste it! What else needs to be said? Pipes and Cigars is a great place to get it with a great per oz. price, especially the more you get. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Grabow, Peterson, Alpha

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars online

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (59)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a good aromatic blend. Not too wet but a little dry time is needed. The Black Raspberry casing is present through the first 1/2 of the bowl but then moves more to the background and can only really be tasted on the retrohale. It is a sweet but not overly sweet blend the tobacco flavor is very very mild but that is the point of this aromatic to let the casing shine. However, the reduction of the taste of the casing at the mid bowl point really takes away from the smoke itself since there is not much tobacco flavor behind it. It smokes fairly dry although the very bottom of the bowl is starting to build moister it stops short of the goopy mess that many aros make. A nice change of pace on a hot summer afternoon. I doubt I will need to revisit this but when August comes this might really hit the spot once in a while.

kingjj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kingjj (9)
Mild to Medium Strong Very Full Pleasant

I can't say much about this blend that twenty other reviews haven't said already, except that by it's lonesome, Lane's Black Raspberry is a little overbearing in it's sweetness and a little one dimensional.

That said, mix this with some Dunhill Nightcap and you have yourself an un-freaking-believably good smoke. That's no small feat when you consider the Dunhill is pretty fantastic on it's own -- and the Lane somehow makes it better.

So if you're one who like to tinker with your blends, you'll want to keep some Black Raspberry on hand, as it makes for a pretty delicious tinker's toy.

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (18)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I don't normally go for aromatics, but this one is truly a winner. The flavor is actually enjoyable, and the room note is very pleasant. It is rare to find a tobacco that tastes good to the smoker and also is so tolerable to those who are exposed to fumes. It also smokes cool, clean and does not leave a bunch of goop in the bottom of the bowl in the end. This is one the best of the milder aromatics that I have smoked so far, and that says a lot since I have tried dozens. The vitamin N is low, but this is a smoke that can be enjoyed in long stretches without tongue bite or an unpleasant aftertaste. Therefore, I highly recommend it for smokers like me who generally prefer English or stronger flake blends who want to venture outside their comfort zone. I will be purchasing more in bulk.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 58;

Rated Percentage = 97%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, nice light Rasberry Flavor, very enjoyable smoke

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am smoking a black raspberry lollipop. that might as well describe my whole review. the casing is strong and the taste of black raspberry is very evident. I love sweet aromatics and this one delivers. it takes the fire pretty well and smokes relatively cool. minimum dottles to the end of the bowl and if you really want that tangy sweetness you must sip on the blend. room note is pleasant indeed (suffice to say that I can smell it while smoking, which rarely happens with aromatics). if you are after a sweet yet mild tobacco with tropical essence then this should be on your list.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (45)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I received a sample of this blend by accident. In the order I was to receive two tins of Peterson's Holiday Season Blend 2013 and instead found about a two ounce sample of this instead of a second tin of the Holiday Season. I have to say it's the best mistake I've ever received.

It's your typical Lane Limited aromatic. A bit of Burley mixed into quality Virginia and good dose of Black Cavendish. The tobacco does come a bit on the moist side, so most will probably want to let it air out a bit. I'd suggest filling a bowl and letting it sit for ten or fifteen minutes before lighting up.

I could smell the raspberry through the zip-lock bag it came in. A nice refreshing berry scent. It made me optimistic for a good smoke.

After a bit of drying the tobacco packed nicely into the bowl. It took a char light and true light wonderfully. As usual, the quality leaf burned nice and evenly to the bottom leaving a beautiful white ash.

The raspberry flavor comes through very pronounced on the light up. I also got a bit of a cream flavor from it as well. As the smoke went on the raspberry flavoring settled in nicely with the tobacco flavors. It makes for a wonderful combination of top dressing and tobacco flavors that is even throughout the smoke. Puffing on it leaves wonderful clouds of fragrant smoke. It's definitely a blend to give smoke rings a go with.

I didn't get any tongue bite from this blend. It didn't goop up the bowl or make the pipe gurgle either.

The room note was very much appreciated by those I smoked it around. I received many compliments on its aroma.

I would recommend this blend to a beginner who is interested in aromatics.

Overall this is a quality aromatic that I will be sure to revisit.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Everything you would expect from Lane, with a raspberry casing. Very sweet. Many will love it. Many will hate it. In bulk it is pretty inexpensive, if you are so inclined give it a whirl. It's goodin a cob, with a nice cup of unsweetened hot tea... No really! Why are you running away!?! (Cowards...)

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

OK, I admit it. No one gave it to me, I bought it myself. Will I by more when this is gone? Probably not. Will I finish this 2 oz sample? Probably. I had low expectations for this product, and they were met.

Yes, it is goopy. And no amount of drying would probably change that. I have smoked goopier, more heavily topped blends. The black raspberry DOES taste like black raspberry jelly. No chemical overtone like Lane's Cherry.

I basically use this as a blend: equal parts Skandinavik Full Aroma (which has no aroma) and Black Raspberry. This gives a tobacco base to the mixture and helps it burn. Kind of.

The mixture described above is a hit with those in the room and is kind of like eating candy to the smoker. I never try to burn this all the way down. I know better.

Would I recommend this to anyone else. It is a Lane's American style Aromatic. 'nuff said. Buyer beware.

barefootdesigns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
barefootdesigns (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As a raspberry freak, I've looked for one that actually TASTES like raspberries. Well, Lane Limited has hit a home run with me on this one. The raspberry taste comes through without any bite or fade, virtually to the end of the bowl. It lights and burns well to the end. This aromatic causes people to tell me about how it reminds them of their grandfathers pipe, only better. This is one of my top three smokes, along with Sutliff's Molto Dolce and Torben-Dansk Blue Note. It's the cheapest of the three, but tastes like high-quality tobacco, not cheap or harsh like some I've tried. As such, it's becoming my everyday smoke. All thumbs up here!

Pipe Used: Astley's 109, Swinks, homemade freehand

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

JoeMan's review of this blend is spot on, I second the nomination! You can really taste the raspberry all the way through with zero bite-very pleasant.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: as a daisy

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

Similar Blends: This aromatic is in a league of its own.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Not a bad smoke, just not a very good one...Had some bite...room note was good...Taste was decent, but by itself it just doesn't cut it with me...ended up mixing it with McClelland 910 Kentucky Cavendish, Lane 1-Q, P. Stokkebye Highland Whisky and Cornell & Diehl Granulated Perique...Really nice blender in this mix...

Pipe Used: various for testing

Age When Smoked: fresh after receiving

AleWatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AleWatcher (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Not bad. Burns well, tastes great, got a free sample.

The tobacco flavors come out more 2/3 of the way through the bowl, but even then it's pretty mild. The roomnote is pleasant-- like brewing beer while burning a blackberry candle. The blackberry flavor is delicious.

Cool smoke, no bite, and pretty dry (but I am smoking in a filtered Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe)

Overall-- not one I'll smoke all the time, but a bowl here and there will be heartily welcomed.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

It's been 25 years or more since I smoked this blend while visiting my parents in Florida. I think it's better now than it was then. The new incarnation has less of the black raspberry flavoring and it smokes dryer then I remember with little if any humectants. It would make a great all day choice as it smokes very cool. The room note would also make it acceptable to nonsmokers. The black raspberry is not overdone, but is always there. A pleasant surprise. It burns cleanly to the bottom of the bowl. An excellent light aromatic.

Update: I let it sit for over a month and the blend is now more cohesive. A delicious aromatic. Wonderful while working on my computer. Also a great mixer with straight burley and Virginia blends.

graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Ordered this as a sample with my last order from my favorite on line tobacco shop. As I normally smoke Cavendish ARO's, this is about what is described. Great raspberry pouch aroma, and slight raspberry taste as you first light it up. Not an overly complex blend, but has a very pleasant room note, and overall a reasonably nice smoke. It will be something that perhaps I will go back to and try again. Reasonably mild with no tongue bite, so also would make an ok all day smoke. Not my favorite, but overall not bade either. It wasa nice diversion.

UKIAH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UKIAH (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

UKIAH SAMSON;

I bought two ounces of this from bulk. I assume that this is Lanes Black Raspberry because I don't find any other black raspberry under other blenders. I paid too much for this. This is not a smooth smoking good smelling black cavendish. This is like a cigar leaf. Black and strong smelling. I don't think the aroma is very pleasant for those around. From the other reviews I should like this so I don't know what others are reviewing. I like black cavendish.

If you like cigar smell then try a sample.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SMOOTH SMOKING BLACK CAVENDISH WITH PLEASANT AROMA THEN DON'T BOTHER. THIS IS NOT IT. I can't wait to order from BOSWELLS.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First off, this stlye of tobacco is not really my cup of tea.

I found it to be very monochromatic and somewhat flat. That being said, it does have a very creamy mouth feel and is not cloyingly sweet, which came as a pleasant surprise. I did not care for the potpourri room note, it was too strong for me. Maybe for some folks that is exactly what they desire. Personally, I much prefer the campfire like notes of Latakia.

In conclusion, I will smoke the remainder of my supply. Likely as an interlude to my usual English rotation. I shall not seek out this tobacco again.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)
Very Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong

This is the tobacco equivalent of a raspberry filled doughnut. There are no subleties or complexities to the flavor or aroma. If you want to smoke a raspberry doughnut then this is for you. If not, then not.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco delivers what it promises-a very raspberry taste. The first half of the bowl alternates between a pleasent raspberry and the taste of those cheap cigars with sugar coated, flavoured plastic tips.

Pros: Plumes of white smoke, pleasent raspberry taste, mildness, beautiful pouch aroma and room note and low cost.

Cons: Begins to taste stale at about halfway through, very wet smoking which causes pipe to gurgle, leaves off flavour in pipe and chemical taste in mouth.

For lovers of aromatics, this tobacco delivers what it promises-raspberry taste in a relatively pleasent tobacco. For lovers of true tobacco taste, there is very little to be found here.

tim_up_north Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tim_up_north (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Just received some from my favourite online tobacconist.

Great pouch aroma. Deep chocolatey scent, with an undertone of cherry/rasberry.

Lots of black cavendish gives this a very creamy smoke.

I was very suprised to have absolutely no goop, gurgle, or wetness of any kind. I'm a very fast puffer at times, and there was no bite whatsoever. Burned completely to ash, with no sourness at anytime.

This mellow blend would be a great all day aromatic and/or a great first try for those wary of bitting, goopy aromatic fare.

I was pleasantly surprised. Really, an aromatic called Black Rasberry will surely have its problems...boy was I wrong.

Into the rotation for this one...go figure.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This was part of a seven blend sampler I ordered from Lil' Brown Smoke Shack. Black Raspberry is a very dark blend in the pouch, with lots of black cavendish mixed in with some dark brown flecks. The pouch aroma is very pleasant, reminiscent of raspberries and blackberries. B/R is a very moist tobacco as delivered, and seems to have a large amount of humectant applied. I used the Frank method of packing my pipe and had to wash my hands afterwards.

Lighting is a two match job, surprising in view of the amount of moisture present. It also required minimal relights, again unusual for a tobacco with so much humectant. B/R starts out with a fairly strong and very pleasant raspberry/blackberry type flavor, and it stays this way for about the first half of the bowl. As the tobacco burns down towards the bottom of the pipe, the raspberry sweetness fades somewhat, and I detected some of the VA tanginess. It burns down to a very fine gray ash with minimal dottle.

I rated the room note as pleasant, but it should also be said that my wife didn't care for the aroma at all, saying it gave her a headache. My olfactory senses said it was pleasant, so that's what I put down.

Lil' Brown Smoke Shack has some terrific buys on this tobacco. You can get a pound for around $14, less than many places charge for 8 oz.

Ratings for Black Raspberry; taste- 15 out of 20; lighting and burn- 7 of 10; value- 9 of 10. That totals up to 31 and a ** score for Black Raspberry. If you like aromatics, give this one a try, it might surprise you.

scotty815 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotty815 (12)

Smokeys rating pretty well sums up my feelings here, I am smoking a blend of half granger half black rasberry, pretty damn tasty in my old erik nording #1 freehand sitter.

RJay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RJay (3)

I find myself in agreement with most of what was said in the other reviews. This is a Lane aromatic, not a C&D aromatic, so it's gonna be on the goopey side. I did find that drying the tobacco out helped this. It has a pleasant room note and nice flavor - no "chemical" taste. Doesn't bite. Not much nicotine punch, but that's the way I like it. It does get more tangy and a less flavorful towards the bottom of the bowl - if smoked hot this could get distinctly unpleasant. I find all these kind of aromatics do best in a gourd calabash.

If you like aromatics, give this one a try!

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This has a wonderful aroma, taste and burns clean and even to the bottom of the bowl. No bite at all and very smooth. No real tobacco flavor though, so its only a treat when the sweet tooth rears its head. A quality aeromatic at a great price. Definately a good choice for beggining pipe smokers.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I just tried this and enjoyed it. I smoked two bowls back to back and it didnt bite at all! I didnt even mind the flavoring. The only thing is that it got very, very goopy and wet a little past the half way point in the bowl. All I heard was gurgle and didnt finish it. If you dried it out, that may fix the problem. Again, I loved that fact that there was no bite and a pleasant room note. May not buy large amounts on a regular basis, but would never turn it away if offered. An EXCELLENT beginner tobacco.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

New notes: Drying out does a great job on fixing the wetness, but mostly I have just smoked this in a filtered pipe and that takes care of the problem. This way I can smoke it all the way to the bottom. This is a very pleasant rotation if you like sweeter aromatics. Smells great! All my co-workers think so!

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

This is growing to be one of my favorites in the Lane line. Its in the first bowl I light and in the last bowl of the nite.It has a great taste as well as a great roomnote. The taste is not overpowering, it is cut just right, and it burns cool and smooth. The ladies will love this one fellas! I highly recommend this pouch to everyone. Smoke up! M.O.Z.Z.M.A.N.N

Bootknife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bootknife (17)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have smoked a few bowls of this blend straight and have to say it is one of the best aromatics I have tried. (It will bite if your a heavy puffer, but I have found few aromatics that won't.)

It stays lit very well for a tobacco of this genre (less "goopy" than most). It is not strong in the nicotine department, but if you have a sweet tooth from time to time it will definitely hit the spot.

The best thing about Black Raspberry is the fun you can have blending with it. A little of this mixed with one of the "Frogs", or about half and half with "King Charles" will give you a bowl full of suprises and please the noses of most those around you.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Black Raspberry Newcomer's,or sweet tooth smoker's would more than likely appreciate Black Raspberry. I was given about 100 gram's to try. I was PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. It was not like those dreadful heavily sickly cased Cherry and Vanilla blend's.I found Black raspberry to be highly pleasant.The taste is great and not overpowering in the least. I love Virginia's,V-Perique's,English and Balkan's,but as far as I'm concerned this was one of the best aromatic's I've ever smoked. Very easy to light and totally consistant to the bottom of the bowl. Smoked all day and no sign of a bite,at all. This aromatic deserve's 10 out 10.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Very Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Sceny covered the bases pretty well already, there's really nothing to add in that respect.

This is a tobacco that won't bite you, no matter how much you try to provoke it. It is nothing if not consistant. The pouch aroma, taste, and room note are all the same: Very Raspberry. It does get a bit boring.

But, you don't have to smoke it 'straight'. I had a wonderful time with this tobacco. I mixed it with a chocolate blend - excellent. Tried it with a 'vanilla creme' - very nice. Just mix them together in about equal parts and smoke immediately. If you let them sit to 'marry' the flavors, it isn't nearly as good.

This is a 'fun' tobacco for once-in-a-while. Definitely not an all-day smoke.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Very Mild Extra Strong Very Mild Strong

I was sent this in a small bag with a new pipe I ordered, so I decided I might as well try it. On the plus side, the smoke is very smooth and bite-free and is an excellent crowd pleaser. On this minus side... can you say GOUPEY?? The smell is very strong, sweet rasberries with perhaps a hint of chocolate, and is obvious from a couple feet away. The leaf is mostly dark black, with an occasional dark brown strand also presant. The moisture level is very high, making the tobacco greasy and somewhat sticky, and letting it sit out to dry helps only a little. It does light easily and pack well, but due to the moisture content, many relights are needed, especially toward the bottom. Don't smoke this in anything you don't want to smell like rasberry for several bowls! In the first third of the bowl, the first, last, and overwhelming taste is rasberry: it tastes like I'm smoking a rasberry liquor, full strength! It's not a BAD taste, if you like rasberry, but it is rather one-dimensional. I can't taste any tobacco flavor at all. In the second and last thirds, the taste is unchanged. At no time do I sense anything beyond sweet rasberry. The smoke is remarkably smooth and totally bite-free, produced in large volumes that leave a very pleasant scent in the room (or the entire house!). As a crowd pleaser, this blend is outstanding; but I very quickly got tired of smoking a rasberry. Also, there is a great deal of moisture; I had to use a pipe cleaner several times during each bowl, and the last bit of tobacco in the bottom is too wet to burn. Overall, I can't see myself ever smoking this as more than an occasional sweet treat. Even if the moisture problems could be solved, the taste is so one-dimensional that more than one bowl at a time would be extraordinarily boring. If you like American aromatics (and rasberry) and don't mind about 50% PG content, try this one; but if you prefer natural, dry-smoking toabcco, RUN AWAY!!

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Sceny's review pretty well says it.

"Raspberry Fields Forever"

Kind of "catchy" ain't it?