Highly Aromatic. A new generation of pipe tobacco. A blend of four new and unusual black fired-cured grades with added highlights of Sweet Virginia. Dramatically new and different in taste and appearance.

BrandLane Limited

3.4
Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well folks, I have to come clean here. I received my latest order today from pipesandcigars.com , and found that they had included a sample. It was Black Cordial.

After the initial bout of cursing,(you see there were no aromatics in the order), I resolved to give it away to some aromatic lover.

I opened the pouch and took a whiff. It was very appealing. Cherry, vanilla and something else that I just can't pick out. But, my history with aromatics is not a great one. I want to like them, but always end up being disappointed. Too light in nic., to light in tobacco flavor, ...on and on. I was beginning to believe I just wasn't an aro smoker.

That all changed today! The pouch sat on my tobacco table for a few hours while I packaged my order in jars and stocked my tins. I went to work and came home to it sitting there. Calling me. Like Lucy taunting Charlie Brown with that damn football.

I packed up one of my cobs and fired it up. More moist than I generally care for is what I thought. But after the char, I was off to the races. Initially I did get a little undesirable flavor in the very first 1-2 draws. That went away immediately to leave a fantastic flavor that was balanced very well in my opinion. Just enough strength to hold my attention and some real tobacco flavor mingled in with the topping.

I have to give credit where it is due. Altadis of all people were the ones to create this little gem. And the only time I didn't pay for an aro, it was great! go figure. Thanks to the people at pipesandcigars.com for knowing me better than I know myself apparently. 3 solid stars.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The cherry topping is deep and rich, and there's a little vanilla mixed in, too. You won't taste much of the Virginia or sugary black cavendish, but then again, you buy it for the creamy smooth toppings. Has little nicotine and won't bite. Burns at a moderate pace with a consistent flavor. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Needs a few relights and has a very pleasant after taste. I'm pretty sure this is Sutliff's Z-50 Black Cordial because they both taste the same.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

Great bulk aromatic! Man this is one nice tobacco. It is mainly blackened cavendish with a little bit of blond stripes. It smokes a bit on the wetside, and is a bit goopy when handling, but once you get past the downsides, it is a nice smoke.

The tin-note is delicious, and it blends with alot of other stuff easily and adds a good bit of flavor to blander tobaccos. This was purchased in bulk, so the price is much nicer than any tinned tobacco. I purchased it under the name Dark Cordial, but reading the reviews, it was the same thing for sure.

It is a heavy tobacco, so it won't take up as much room per ounce as a lighter, fluffier blend. Buy plenty, because if you like aromatics, you will go through a lot of this stuff. Forms a softer cake and dedicate a few pipes to it, that will make it better.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I haven't smoked many aromatics since I switched from Captain Black to higher grade pipe tobacco more than fifteen years ago but, perhaps because of my advancing age (sigh), I find myself of late craving sweeter mixtures. So, a bought some Lane Limited Black Cordial about a month ago. My plan was not to smoke it straight but instead to mix it with other tobacco and, in particular, English blends.

My first experiment was with Hearth & Home Ten to Midnight. I mixed it at a ratio of about 3 parts Ten to Midnight to 1 part Black Cordial. Let me tell you, it was delicious. The sweetness of the BC really complemented the smokiness and richness of the Ten to Midnight, turning a good English blend into a great one.

My next experiment was with Mac Baren Plum Cake, a blend that used to be one of my favorites but which, in recent years, seemed to lose some of its flavor (another effect of an aging palate, I suspect). The fruitiness of the Black Cordial brought the Plum Cake back to life and, once again, it tastes delicious.

I've yet to smoke Black Cordial straight and may never, but that's OK. If it enhances other tobaccos as well as it has Ten to Midnight and Plum Cake, I will be a very happy pipe smoker.

So, if some of your blends seem a little less interesting than they used to, try mixing in some aromatic tobacco like Black Cordial. You may be surprised how good they taste together.

Pipe Used: Various briars

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I prefer aromatics and after reading reviews on this I decided to try it. The smell out of the bag is very weird...it reminds me of the smell of a bar in the daylight if that makes sense. Not appealling to me. I put this in a jar after trying it the first time and revisited. It's more tolerable after sitting but the smell is the same. It does give me tongue bite as well. It's extremely moist tobacco. Now I have rated this somewhat recommended because it does have a strong flavouring/scent which is bold compared to a lot of aromatics which always seem to be on the mild side. I however do not like the scent nor the flavour and would not buy it again. There are so many good reviews of it so perhaps it's worth a try as everyone is different.

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The smooth, creaminess of a fine black cav escorts the sweetness of a medium Virginia through an orchard heavy with ripe black cherries. Wow! Was this delicious. This from a guy not all that fond of fruit-cased tobaccos. Go easy on the pack and plan on frequent, quick relights. Don't huff and puff, but sip it like a fine brandy and you'll enjoy a consistent, creamy, sweet bowl all the way to the bottom. It will ghost a pipe in a New York minute, so I recommend a throw-away cob for the first outing. Room note is fabulous. I tried drying a few bowls which improved the burn characteristics but dulled the flavor. Not worth it. Load up your match case and indulge. Recommended!

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)

I was fooled into thinking this was a house blend...it isn't I found "black cordial" in several places looking THE same and tasting the same. This can burn hot if you go too fast, this actually gets smoothed out well with a pinch of proper english and it shines. But as it is it usa rich aromatic, it will bite eight off so go easy. Nice room note by all accounts, it can be improved on by easing the bite but this is a solid aromatic for experienced pipe smokers..newbies will not get the best of this.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (18)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

If you like aromatics, give this one a try. Smooth, excellent flavor, easy to keep lit, outstanding room note. Smoking a bowl is like eating chocolate followed by a sip of benedictine.

I didn't expect to like an Altadis blend when sent this as a freebie, but am pleasantly surprised. I wish they had sent me blends like this when that Altadis sampler went out. It's a cool smoking, non-gurgling aromatic and the first cherry flavored tobacco I honestly like. I think it's cherry, anyway. Unlike a couple other Altadis blends I got for free, I may actually finish this one, and it is not out of the question that I would buy it again. No bite, and lovely in (or out of) the nose.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (16)

This is one of my go to aromatics along with Butternut Burley,this being not as mild. I have noticed some changes in between batchs but they are quite acceptable. Pack this tobacco loosely & you won't have to worry about a soapy taste. Don't be put off by the pouch/bag appearance. It is sticky and does appear goopy, but once in the pipe,packed correctly, it transforms into nivarna IMHO. The tastes is a cherry one that changes in intensity.The aroma will recieve compliments. This was my Christmas blend but now I smoke it year round. It has a rich thick creamy taste like an english but with an aromatic flavor,quite a soothing blend,morning noon or night. Can be exhaled through the nose to enhance the flavor. I can smoke this comfortably with a throat tickle that might lead to a cold if not medicated in time. I'm enjoying it now with two to three feet of snow outside. Highly recommended for everyone. I smoke all types of tobaccos.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

If you want a strong fruity, berry taste in a surprisingly mild aromatic, give this one a try. About the only aromatic blend I've ever liked was, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. But the Walter is a Burley blend, and can get a bit warm if puffed too hard. This stuff seems to stay mild, no matter how you smoke it. Surprisingly, with all of the casings in this stuff, it didn't gunk up my pipe, but it does leave it's ghostly flavor, when you load up with something else. I'd recommend dedicating one pipe to this blend. I have a yard pipe, which I smoke anything and everything in, so that's my suggestion for this blend. My wife actually likes the room note of Commonwealth Mixture, over this stuff. And on that note, I can't complain...

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is another tobacco bought at my local tobacco shop. The jar aroma was very nice. The moisture content was a little high, but some drying took care of that. Anyway, on first lighting up the tobacco fills the room with an aroma that should please even the most ardent smoke Nazi. The taste is fruity and the tobacco flavor is sort of an after thought. Well, way after. About midway through the bowl the sweet aroma and flavor bow out quickly. What you're left with is a boring nondescript tobacco. The taste, now, is simply of weak smoke. The aroma is almost nonexistent. This tobacco makes a lot of promises that it can't keep to the end of the bowl. A little more virginia might have helped.

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (43)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a pleasant, easy and sweet smoke. Creamy taste, favourable room aroma, gentle on the tongue and palate, and all in all an experience to be recommended. No bite, no buzz, no bitterness.

If you enjoy a tasty aromatic smoke, then this is pretty good.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very tasty, and affordable American cased aromatic. Fruity, sweet. A nice dessert smoke.