Highly aromatic. An all black cavendish consisting of 100% fire cured tobaccos. Steam sweated for mildness and smoothness.

BrandLane Limited

2.4
Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is based off a 1oz sample rather than my normal 2oz+. This is not a bad smoke if you are looking for the casing to lead the way. To me it tastes like a vanilla frosting on chocolate cake. Not the good butter cream frosting but the Duncan-Hines frosting in the can. No tobacco taste but the flavor stays the same all the way through the bowl. It is very sweet and a nice desert type of smoke. (I would rather smoke it than eat the cake maybe it will help with weight loss lol.) It does smoke a little wet and I have found that it does get bitter if I try to force the last 1/4 of the bowl. Just dump it out and let the pipe dry completely before refilling. No Nic hit at all so if you need one this is not the blend to grab. It will ghost and the basket pipe I have dedicated to aromatics even smells of nothing but vanilla now. I doubt that I will revisit this personally but as a very sweet smoke that does not bite unless you really try to make it it is fine. Good for a new piper perhaps.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Dry it some first and it'll perform better. It gives you the vanilla flavor you expect and want from black cavendish. No complexity, but you're not buying this for that anyway. Has very little nicotine and doesn't bite. Burns at a reasonable rate with a consistent flavor, but leaves a bit of moisture in the bowl, bordering on goop. Requires a few relights. Has a decent after taste, and is an all day smoke. Makes a good mixer. More of a two and a half star blend.

twiddledee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twiddledee (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a huge fan of Cavendish, but I will put some in a pipe from time to time for a change of pace. Mild and sweet. Occasionally I will smoke this straight up, but for the most part I keep it on hand to mix equally with Lanes Burley Light Without a Bite, which has become one of my favorites blends.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Duke

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my second Cavendish (first being C&D Autumn Evening) and it's from a tobacco company close to where my parents live (edit: it's sold by a local store, but the local brand they sell doesn't make this one, clearly). I find it to be very enjoyable and plan on buying a more to store for the long term! In the bag there was a strong chocolate scent to it without smelling overly sweet. The smoke itself is quite sweet without being too much and leaves a wonderful note. When I want something "artificially" sweetened, this is a great choice!

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Alas this sticky black cavendish brings back many memories of my youth and college years.

I worked for a few years as a sales associate and novice tobacconist for a very popular mall tobacco retailer/gift shop. This tobacco was sold under the name Nightlighter. It was a very popular smoke for new pipe smokers. As the new smokers experience and taste grew the desire for this moist and extremely vanilla flavored confection lessened if not ceased altogether. I have seen this cavendish cake up and ruin many a fine pipe in relatively short order due to its high sugary topping to tobacco ratio. It usually could never be smoked to the bottom of the bowl because it was far too wet to maintain any space for oxygen let alone an ember. This usually resulted in a very top heavy cake in a pipe. This tobacco also leaves a ghost that never goes away even with a straight burly smoke or twenty.

Taking it for what its worth this tobacco is really only good for blending with fruit flavored cavendishes or a good dry burly. My recommendation is no more than an eighth ounce or less to an ounce of the dominating blend.

I can't say it is truly a horrible tobacco but I can say don't ever smoke this tobacco by itself unless you plan to dedicate a pipe to it.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

Well, it looks like this blend is getting a bit bashed and banged up by our members. I guess I'm gonna have to give this one a sorta thumbs up opinion. I've never smoked an aromatic as strong as this stuff is. A cross between vanilla and berries, was what I detected. I smoked this in my favorite Grabow. Bad mistake, as it leaves a very discernable after taste. In the Grabow, I smoke tons of the Prince, but this stuffs' flavors start coming through near the bottom of the bowl of the Prince. I didn't do any kind of cleaning between blends, so I'm hoping I didn't ruin my Grabow. In a cob, this stuff would probably be a nice change of pace, from the standard otc blends. Went great with some Canadian Club. I wouldn't recommend this as a go-to blend, but for a really noticeable flavor change, try it out. You might be surprised...

Brother Of The Leaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother Of The Leaf (8)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

This tobacco isn't outstanding, but it's certainly not bad by any means. While what many of the other reviewers have been saying, it is rather bubbly, it's still a very enjoyable smoke out of a cheaper pipe or meershaum. Pick some of this up if you can find it.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Cavendish bite. Nice room note (toasted marshmallow?). A bit too bitey. Sticky small cut. B.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

I've smoked about an ounce of this now and I did like it. It is sweet but otherwise plain. I couldn't detect the vanilla that other people did. This would be better if it were a little sweeter and slightly stronger. Still, not bad and I might pick some more up sometime. It did tend to gunk the pipe a bit so I simply went out and bought some cheap corncob pipes to smoke this type of stuff in.