Basically a Golden Cavendish blend but with a hint of Fire-Cured blended in provides scintillating taste and flavorful aroma.

Notes: Despite confusion caused by persistent rumor, 1-Q is a Lane product and a Lane invention, sold by many brick and mortar shops under many names, including 'Wilshire' by the TinderBox stores.

BrandLane Limited
Taste

2.9
wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)

Sometimes, you cannot do better than the classics. The smell in the pouch is that of golden Cavendish and vaniila and caramel. I have also described the smoke aroma, but just know that the vanilla and caramel is much less pronounced than you might think. The tobacco is nice and the smoke is satisfying if you keep in mind what this is and remember what it is not. I love Burley tobacco and I love the strong stuff like Peterson's Irish Flake. This is just a good aromatic that both the smoker and the people around them can enjoy. I have grown tired of heading outside to the heat and humidity or to the cold and rain just to have a smoke. This tobacco keeps me inside and in front of the TV. The flavor lasts down to the bottom of the bowl and there is no goop left behind if you smoke this properly. That is, slowly sip and pack just a bit lighter than you might a good Burley. I can see why this is the number one selling tobacco in the US. The ash is fine, but not a pure grey. Even the ash in the ashtray smells nice. Smokers can use all the friends they can get right now and this one would certainly make friends and influence people.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It's hard to argue with the best selling bulk tobacco in the world.

This is a wonderful blend of quality Virginia and Cavendish leaf mixed with a wonderful vanilla flavoring. To me the flavoring is almost pastry like and carries nicely into the smoke as long as you keep your palate moist and chew on the smoke. By that I mean swish it around your mouth a second or two before exhaling to let the flavors really hit your palate.

It comes at close to perfect moisture level. There really isn't any airing time needed for this or many of Lane Limited's blends.

1Q takes a charring and true light wonderfully and burns nice and evenly to a fine white ash. It doesn't gurgle or bite or burn overly hot. And most importantly it doesn't leave your pipe with a goopy mess.

The room note is terrific. Most people mention smelling roasting marshmallows when I smoke this blend in public.

If you're looking for a go-to aromatic or just a nice aromatic to take a break from other styles this is definitely worth checking out. Since it's in bulk you can sample it without breaking the bank.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I got acquainted with I-Q back in the late 1970s where it was known as "Special #2" at the old Pipe Pub franchise shops located around the southwest.

This is, by far, my all-time favorite aromatic blend. It is nutty, sweet, tastes like tobacco, has some nicotine strength, is very cool burning and is enjoyed tremendously by those non-smokers who happen to be around me while I'm puffing on this classic. Enjoyed by pipe smokers worldwide in droves, it is Lane's all-time top selling blend.

Good anytime, day or night... A true bell ringer!

Sold under dozens of different names, people buy it more than most other blends. It's not hard to see why. Vanilla and caramel are appealing flavors, especially when not overdone so that you get sick of it. That doesn't happen here. Not much tobacco taste here, except for a little grass and a hint of citrus from the Virginia. Burns cool at a reasonable pace with a consistent flavor. Will leave some moisture in your bowl, and needs an average number of relights. No bite, and little nicotine. Has an okay after taste. This is one of the quintessential "all day smoking blends", and though it's not a complex mixture, that works to its advantage for people who just want a pleasant, no nonsense, comfortable all day smoke.

cturnitsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cturnitsa (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A favorite aromatic for me - maybe one of my top handful. Nothing disagreeable here - good flavor, great aroma (both in the jar and in the room). It packs, lights, and puffs very nicely. A bit more forgiving in the Bite area than many other aromatics. I can easily understand how this is an "all day smoker" for some folks. There is no reason to say no.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't smoke aromatics often and when I do I tend to look to the more "high end" aromatics. The fact is that there is a reason why this is one of the top selling aromatics today and 1Q has forced me to rethink my aro purchases.

This is a solid aromatic at a great price point. Sweet, but not overly so. The tobacco flavor still comes through and it is mild and pleasant. It doesn't goop up the bowl and is a fine tobacco to try as an introduction to aromatics. It does need to be dried and the only drawback for both aromatic lovers and those that like to dabble is that 1Q lacks the depth can can be found in other aromatics. Recommended.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First things first! If you are not an aromatic smoker or are open to smoking aromatics, SCRAM! Move on down the road, this is not meant for you. You too english smokers, even though the latakia you so love is really an aromatic as in added flavor, you won't like this so go on, go to the next review.

Now, let's get down to a serious review here of a good aromatic. For some reason I have neglected to write a review on this blend. That said, I am amending that as of right now. This is the number one selling blend in the country if not the world! There is a reason for this. It's good! Simple enough. It has a sweet vanilla flavor to it but not overwhelming. It is mild as a kitten with no claws. It will not burn the tongue, smells absolutely wonderful both in the pouch and in the room note. It packs well in the pipe in spite of being somewhat moist, it lights easily and stays lit burning in a nice slow and relaxing way. It is not cloying and it does not leave a pipe smelling like a fruit bowl. No wonder it's number one and then add it is easily available and for a great price. It is a mixed medium to dark brown ribbon cut. It burns down slowly to a fine grey ash with a touch of dottle and a little moisture so pipe cleaners are a must. I could not make this an all day blend like a lot of others but it is a great blend for the sweet tooth and for just relaxing. A crowd pleasure for sure. A great blend for a beginner and an experienced smoker that does not want a huge nicotne fix or has a sensitive mouth. I highly recommend this blend to be tried by all...that are open to aromatics. The others will just miss a good thing in this one!

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I stopped into my neighborhood B&M. The guy admitted that he was mostly a cigar smoker, but that this (they call it "Ladies Love It") was their best seller. I bought an ounce, and have been in love ever since! If you are an aromatic smoker, how can you not love this?!?! It packs, lights, and smokes easily. It never bites, and it gets even more delicious as you get closer to the bottom of the bowl. Finally, like the title suggests, the ladies DO love it! Never had anything but compliments about 1Q. Plus, you can get it EVERYWHERE (under dozens of different names)!! It is what you'll find in my pouch, and usually in my pipe!

Update (12/26/2012): I got some more of this from my Secret Santa yesterday completely by accident! She only knew that I liked to smoke a pipe and had never bought pipe tobacco before. So, she stopped by her local B&M and got me an ounce of their "24K", not knowing what it was. Anyway you name it, it's still 1-Q! Lucky for me!! Thanks, Santa!!

BurleyTwirp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyTwirp (11)
Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like this blend, you have to admit to yourself that you like captain black. It's frustrating seeing so many people compliment this blend while making disparaging remarks about OTC's like captain black. 1Q IS captain black royal. no if's and's or but's. I myself find it to be very unpleasant. The disgusting sour taste that creeps in halfway through the bowl. How artificial and chemically the flavoring is. How wet/goopy/greasy the tobacco is to the touch. This blend will absolutely ghost a pipe with that sour chemically layer of soot. In my novice days I had to resuscitate many a pipe after exposing them to this blend and other blends like it. My advice is to skip all captain black blends.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

Oh with the hype surrounding this blend,,i finally had the chance to try it out during the chicago pipe show..i ended up with 2 pounds purchase eventually!!! the blend is fine ribbon cut that seems to be dipped in molasses, luckely that is not the character it reflects throughout the smoke. very consistant blend, burns without problem leaving fine ash and some times few dottels if u smoke it fast, taste reminds me of captain black some where between gold and royal but this one have a better quality casing to it and lacks the combustion heat that the former blend produce. price is reasonably cheap when purchased in bulk, the room note is acceptable by many and the only draw back it has is the fine cut which makes it burn fast leaving you craving for more. i would smoke this blend slowly as it can hit u back where it hurts (yes your tounge).

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

As I mostly smoke virginia/VaPer blends, I'm going to review this based on what it is rather than what it is not.

I usually have a couple of ounces of this in my tobacco bar. It is a nicely flavored cavendish aromatic mixture that is light on the palate but with a pleasant vanilla taste and aroma. Not nearly as flavorful as my other two "standard" aromatics (McClellands #2050 and Stokkebye's French Vanilla), perhaps I smoke this because this is what I started on decades ago. My first tobacco was Captain Black Royal, and this is its higher quality "tobacco shop" counterpart. At my age, romance is where it finds you - usually in the reminiscence phase!

If you're looking for complexity, you won't find it here. It's not geared for that. It's purpose is a simple, mild smoke that is a nice palate cleanser for a later headier blend. Very inoffensive to both smoker and those around him. And if it bites, SLOW DOWN!!!! Everyone that is not adverse to aromatics should try this once. There's a reason it's the best selling premium bulk tobacco.

RKT123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RKT123 (2)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The jungle drums said this was a huge seller, everyone is smoking it. Maybe they meant once. I found it smoked wet with not that good of a taste; but worst of all it coated the rim of my pipe with goop. Not a blend I wanted to keep; so I split my bulk package into several and gave them away for others to try...maybe it became a favorite of theirs...or not.

Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Lane Limited - 1-Q.

Been on a bit of an aromatic trip lately, and as I love vanilla aro's the most out of that genre I popped 1Q open this morning.

Rather than the tobacco being contained in paper with a card top, this one's paper with a clear plastic disc topping it. It's nicely hydrated, and although it's listed as containing only Golden Cavendish and Virginia, there's a few black pieces too.

The smoke's a good one. The flavour is prominently vanilla with only a mild tobacco taste: honey and hay. I find a good burn requires a bit of effort to initiate, it goes out easily for the inaugurate few minutes. But once a burn has established itself it gives an independent one. At the beginning I have to give my bowl some firm puffs whilst getting it going, and even while I'm sucking like mad, the smoke doesn't bite. The smoke's temperature is the expected one for a Cavendish blend: cool, and the room-note's very nice indeed. If you smoke for nicotine this won't do for you: it's very mild.

Vanilla aromatics have long been a regular addition to my rotation, they normally take the role of the evening smoke. This is one of the best of its kind, it has to have four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Mastro Geppetto Freehand

Age When Smoked: One month

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (30)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Just to add another 2 cents worth, Lane 1Q is a pleasant smoke anytime and anywhere. Gently sweet, a room note that is among the best in the industry, and doesn't really ghost a pipe. A great introduction to the hobby of pipe smoking and worthy to be a "go to" blend for anyone who likes a mild aromatic. Most who find this too moist or note a wet bowl bottom might benefit from packing a bit more loosely and puffing a bit more slowly. Properly executed, 1Q is a refreshing and very forgiving tobacco that I enjoy often. It is also a remarkable value.

Age When Smoked: Always purchased in bulk

Purchased From: Many locations

sheboyganjohn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sheboyganjohn (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very good room note. Nice light sweet taste, over the top sticky sweet. Can see why this is a top tobacco.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Mild, Smooth, Mellow, Not much Flavor but it is a little Sweet. Trout Stream from HPCS Adirondack at Pipes and Cigars is better than 1-Q

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have only smoked one bowl of this, but I see it fit to review. i love smoking Lane's straight black Cavendish (BCA) so I was pleased to hear that this had golden Cavendish in it. This blend was sweet, smooth, delightfully aromatic, and did not bite my tongue. I say that for new pipe smokers it is a must-try, and for the seasoned smoker who wants to break away from the heavy stuff with something that can please he/she and the people around.

Dave_in_desert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave_in_desert (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was my very first pipe tobacco. I bought it at The Tinder Box in 1990 and they call it Wilshire. I Like the taste and smell, but it just doesn't have enough kick in it for me anymore. Yet, somehow I keep going back to it.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The best selling pipe tobacco in the U.S...

In fact this has little tobacco taste. It comes very moist, but burns surprisingly well. It comes across my palate like caramel dipped fruit. Pleasant, but not a taste I really care for.

Pack it on the loose side, puff very gently, and infrequently, and you will avoid tongue bite.

You also will keep the moisture from building up in your pipe. This is a very sweet, straightforward blend. Too sweet for me, but it does smell nice.

It is indeed an American classic. Many pipesmokers in America both started and stayed with this.

Lane Limited is slowly but surely reducing the number of blends it produces, and some day, when this one fades into glory, it will be sorely missed...

Just not by me!

Rhapsody Baccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rhapsody Baccy (16)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

The old farts love this stuff (I say this with respect and veneration- one day too I shall qualify as a Pipe-Smoking Old Fart and will be quite proud to be one) and it’s easy to tell why; bright Virginias give it a nice light and airy feel with lots of soft vanilla throughout embedded in the sweet Cavendish.

Sweet but not overly so the Tanginess of the Virginias keep it at an even keel.

This is a Tobacco-shop standby and the stuff usually moves by the pound-full.

Is it amazing? No, but if you’re driving or doing some chores—there’s’ nothing better.

Pipe Used: MM Var.

Purchased From: Edward's Tobacco Shop - Buckhead, GA

Dvorak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dvorak (1)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

1-Q has a lot of amazing properties that make it vastly appealing to the pipe smoking crowd. The pipe never gets too hot, just warm. The smoke is always smooth, virtually no bite, smokable all day. The tobacco doesn't surprise you with heat or bad taste halfway down the bowl. It arrives with hands-down perfect consistency and moisture. A great taste and a great aroma; it is commonly said to be a blend that both the smoker and the smokers' acquaintances will at the least tolerate. All of these factors make it a great choice for anyone on the totem pole.

The small downside was that I couldn't taste all the flavors until I was done smoking (but that's pretty much expected for me!)

Please note that I am a beginner as of this writing, thanks.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Lark Straight

Age When Smoked: Dec. 2014

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

Very pleasantly surprised with the sample i recieved yesterday.Will certainly be buying more in my next order to the US.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (138)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is not what I think of as a tobacco. It looks like tobacco but I really don't taste anything other than an occasional whips of vanilla. Don't expect this to help if you need a Nick hit either. I did finish my 2oz. bulk but I usually smoke outside at night. This blend has to be smoked during the day so you know if it is lit or not (OK that might be extreme but it makes the point)!

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)

I tried Lane 1Q at the urging of a friend and based on reviews and I was quite pleased! Easily a daily smoke, I buy this in bulk and love it. Folks around always have a positive comment on its aroma. Its mild in the nicotine department and I recommend it to new pipe smokers regularly.

Sons of Reagan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sons of Reagan (9)

I love this tobacco. No particular part of it stands out, but it is a good solid mix of tobaccos, that burns cool, and has absolutely no tongue bite. It is really a great all day smoke and lends a great aroma to wherever you are smoking. It is, after all, the number one selling bulk pipe tobacco in the country.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Man, i gotta say, after my inital attempts at pipe smoking in college-- with a grabow and cherry borkum riff or captain black-- i was turned off to aromatic tobaccos, but recently picked up some 1Q (sold by my tobacconist as yorkshire) as sort of a token of appreciation to my wife who'd bought me a nice mastro beraldi oom paul. i figured she deserved to encounter me smoking something other than a latakia rich blend ( i happen to think latakia smells terrific and occasionally she'll compliment me on a latakia blend--most notably odyssey, believe it or not). surpisingly, i get good tobacco flavor from this stuff. the addition of the fire cured is what really makes this blend for me. also as an eenglish/balkan and va/per smoker, i must confess to envying those who walk past puffing a nice vanilla/creamy/chocolate scented pipe tobacco. with 1Q i can do so without feeling queasy and/or burning my tongue.

D'Iberville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Iberville (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

After reading lots of great reviews and even a video of someone purchasing and cellaring 5lbs of the stuff, I ordered 2oz and was terribly disappointed. For those who say it's the same thing Lane Captain Black Royal, it's very close indeed. The tin note is nice but when you smoke it, it's extremely artificial or chemical. I gave it a shot 3 times and no pleasure here, whatsoever. Makes me wonder how such a bad tobacco can be so popular.... There are much better aromatics out there, stay away from this stuff but if you do like it, Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal is a much better product and will deliver the taste that you're looking for.

Pipe Used: Stanwell, Vauen, Rattray's

Age When Smoked: A few weeks.

Similar Blends: Captain Black Royal, 7 Seas Royal.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

If you have ever purchased bulk pipe tobacco from a brick and mortar shop, you have almost certainly smoked Lane Limited 1-Q. But you probably bought something with a proprietary name other than 1-Q, Willshire at Tinderbox, for example. This mixture has been the best selling bulk in the United States for decades under a plethora of names.

Basically, 1-Q is Captain Black Blue with less humectant (propylene glycol). It may be that 1-Q uses a better grade leaf, but personally I doubt it. But it is not as moist as CB Blue, and smoked slowly it leaves less goop in the pipe.

Open the bag and you find a mixture consisting of about 75% ribbon cut golden Virginia and 25% black cavendish. The dark tobacco is blackened Green River Burley. In contrast to Captain Black White (and its bulk sibling RLP-6) this is predominately a light rather than black mixture with a slightly brighter taste.

The sniff test reveals vanilla. Light up, and it is not difficult to get an even light, and you will note in the flavor a combination of vanilla, chocolate, and maybe a touch of caramel. The room note is a real winner variously described as toasting marshmallows or baking cookies. Few if any pipe tobaccos elecit more compliments on the smell from non smokers. Although not as moist as the CB Royal, 1-Q is still a pretty moist mixture, but you have no difficulty keeping it lit with a relaxed puffing cadence.

The taste is milder than the fulsome room note would indicate. When the pipe is done you will find a little gray dottle, but again less than you would expect from a mixture with a decidedly sweet room note. Unless you puff wildly 1-Q does not bite. The nicotine level is well below medium. Many smokers will like this aspect, although those who like a full nicotine kick will find it a bit wimpy in that regard.

Is this a gourmet blend? Of course not. But the chances are that you are in the mood for a hamburger more often than for prime rib. Likewise budget issues may steer you toward the hamburger more often. This bulk blend is easy on the budget. If you are looking for a smoke at the high end of the complexity scale you might well choose something else. Although 1-Q does have a significant coterie of pipesters who smoke it and it alone, I personally find it best as a utility tobacco. I suspect that will be true of many others.

Use pipes dedicated to aromatics, or else choose a cob or meerschaum. 1-Q will ghost a pipe.

Aromatic pipe tobaccos are the best sellers by far. There are many who smoke only this type of pipe tobacco. Likewise there are many who get the majority of their smokes from the aromatic range. Of the remainder, quite a few will puff happily on an aromatic as a change of pace. Each of these groups will likely find 1-Q a satisfying experience.

There is a minor segment of pipe smokers who eschew aromatics. There is probably a larger group of these on this board than in the pipe smoking world at large. Aromatic haters need not try 1-Q!

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (24)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

One reviewer noted that "...it's hard to argue with the best selling blend in the world". That's true but only for the herd of cows that can be unwaveringly driven over a cliff, as one simply follows another over the precipice. 1-Q has also been described as a Captain Black but with better tobaccos - if so I'm glad I never bought the Captain. No this blend is a Virginia/Cavendish with a real dollop of vanilla flavoring.

Dollop enough that a good drying is essential and even then not successful. And although the blend is certainly very mild, you will soon be made aware that Viriginia and flavoring bite is a possibility and you will have to really focus on s-l-o-w sipping, and even then...

Nice pouch note, nice room note, no complaints but from the smoker's perspective not much to talk about - I found 1-Q unidimensional and oddly "edgy" - a tobacco I had to fight with to keep lit. Two things dominate - the aromatics and that little Virginia bite. You are tempted to buy this tobacco as a "mild, all-day, gentle aromatic" based on numerous cattle reviews, but I'm afraid these are overstated and overly influenced more by the reviews than by the experience.

I'm not saying 1-Q is bad; it's just not all that pleasant; and the underlying tobacco is so remote as to be hard to find. There's some tobacco there, but we're just not sure where. Personally, I think this is a tobacco that is smoked based on herd reviews and their wive's approval for the room note, not for the smoke itself.

As a comparison, I dare you to fired up Lanes RLP-6, which will immediately show you the difference - still aromatic but very lightly so. Tobacco-forward, not behind, lovely nutty Burley effects and contribution to good burning. Burns beautifully with no real re-lights out of the pouch. RLP-6 is really the blend 1-Q could and should have been, but wasn't. As a result 1-Q is little more than a common aromatic drugstore pouch tobacco aimed at getting laid, albeit with probably better tobacco. But not much.

But don't believe me - or the herd reviews - buy an ounce of each: 1-Q and RLP-6 and compare them. I daresay you'll prefer the RLP-6 in every way.

Pipe Used: MM Cob - Eaton

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist: house "blend"

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)

I have been a pipe smoker for over 30 years and have smoked mostly non aromatic and English blends for the last two decades. I as of late have been revisiting aromatics that I have more or less ignored for so many years. I remember smoking this blend back in the 70's and 80's and enjoying it. This blend is made up of nice cavendish, toasted cavendish, and some VA ribbon that contributes to a nutty sweet flavor profile. Finally as mentioned in most of the reviews of this blend the room note is quite appealing. I really like this blend and will be adding it to my new rotation of aromatics.

Pipe Used: Corn cob and briars

Age When Smoked: I'm old enough to smoke!

Purchased From: pipesandncigars.com

Ring88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ring88 (10)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I did not care for this at all.. I found it to be harsh and bites bad. I got it at a local tobacco shop in Wichita, there are not many in town. The pipe smoker guy said 1-Q sales more that all the others in the shop. so I bought a ounce and brought it home to try. I might be to new to catch all the little things of the tobacco but I got a hard bite of dirt taste or mouth, it was to strong and got no better as I smoked down the bowl. the room note was not that good it has a smell of cheep cig's ashy kind of. once again I could be to new to like this tobacco and need to grow in to it, I have read on here and other sites that sometimes that happens. maybe in 6mo I'll try a few more bowls the 5 or so I have tried in the last week I did not like even a little

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (16)

For some reason I put my pipes down about 20 years ago. I couldn't tell you why now. However, I've recently picked them back up again. A coworker gave me about a half ounce of 1Q to get me started again. I like it. As aromatics go it's not a bad smoke. You do have to smoke it somewhat carefully so as not to overheat your pipe and it can be a little "gurgely" (that's not even a real word is it?). I recommend this tobacco as I would recommend a nice vanilla ice cream. I don't always eat butter brickle or almond praline, sometimes I like a simple, uncomplicated bowl of vanilla ice cream. In tobacco, this is the one. And yes, I would consider it to be a beginners blend. But I would not say that one should shun it and leave it behind.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

1Q has to be the very best perfume puffing tobacco in existance. This is a high quality aromatic blend that will not bite. The flovor is mostly tobacco with some swetnesss coming from the flavoring. Speaking of the flavoring, I have no idea what it is or even how to describe it. I can tell you that the smell of smoldering 1Q is what pops in peoples minds when they think of a pipe. Especially those who say they love the smell of a pipe. Don't beleive them, they love the smell of 1Q! Don't beleiveme, fill your pipe with a good Balkan mixture and ask um if they still love the smell of a pipe. I typically am of the opinion that, like cheese, the more foul the smell of the tobacco the better the flavor. 1Q is the exception to this rule. It is a high quality blend that gives perfume puffers a leg to stand on. What can I say, I like it!!!

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I always wanted to try this, once I heard it was a sort of bulk Captain Black. I had to ask a tobaccanist (Fairhaven Smoke Shop in Bellingham, Washington -- excellent little hole-in-the-wall shop) which of his bulk blends was actually I-Q, and he provided me with a nice sample.

I like this. Tastes of vanilla and caramel, with a room note that should offend no one. I would recommend this to a new pipe smoker over Captain Black, because the flavor and casing are not as excessive. Once you've smoked you pipe a few years, this will probably no longer satisfy, but comes in handy when you need a blend such as this -- might even get you allowed indoors.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I need to write a new review for this blend. As time has gone on, I find that this is continually in my cellar as my go-to aromatic when I feel like having an aromatic tobacco.

1-Q is a good quality blend. The leaf, the flavoring, and the burning properties of this tobacco are excellent. I also find that it is one of the most consistent blends on the market. The flavor tastes of burley tobaccos (like eating almonds in a cigar humidor), chocolate, licorice, vanilla, and the sweet cavendish notes. It is mild on the palate, but delicious.

This tobacco has the best aroma of any tobacco, bar none. The wife loves it. It burns well and very clean for an aromatic. I have noticed no gunk in my pipes. It can also be used to add a nice aroma to english blends without ruining the flavor. It is also mild on the tongue and produces no bite.

To me this is the standard by which I judge aromatics. It is a good, solid, quality tobacco. If you are looking for an aromatic, a mild all-day tobacco, or a blend to smoke around friends, you can't go wrong with 1Q. As an added bonus, it is one of the most widely available tobaccos. I have no reservations in recommending this blend.

Harvey54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harvey54 (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

For those trying a pipe for the first time, this would be a great starter. I have been smoking it for about one year now, and have found it lacking a bit in taste and flavor. I have been smoking some of Mc's 5100, Rattrays Hal O' the Wynd and some of Mc's 2010, along with Esoterica's Tillbury. So that may be the cause of why this has fallen from my favorite list. Trying to bring it back a bit I have mixed in some 5100 and surprisingly enough it seems to have given it the kick that it needed for me to use as a change of pace blend. But straight up it is a fine blend for those looking to start or are just looking for a change of pace. Keep the Smoking light lit !

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

1Q is a pleasant, light aromatic. The flavoring is present throughout a bowlful, but it is not overpowering. This is a well-balanced blend. Any moisture issue is easily resolved by letting the tobacco dry for several minutes before packing it into one's pipe. The room note makes this one a crowd-pleaser, as well. A great blend for the novice pipe smoker or experienced puffer looking for a mild alternative to heavier aromatics or a change of pace from Latakia-laced concoctions that, lately, seem to be in vogue amongst us Brothers of the Briar. (Guilty as charged.) Lastly, 1Q equals some of the pricier tinned blends that are available.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)

As an aromatic smoker with a fondness for vanilla and good cavendish, I need to throw my two cents worth in here.

I am a soldier in Iraq, and just ordered another eight ounces of this. 1-Q, as many have noted here, is not a great tobacco blend. But it is a good tobacco blend, and has just a bit more of a nicotine kick. Given the circumstances here, I need a good bulk tobacco which is a step above the dime-store blends that I can smoke a few bowls of any time of the day or night and not worry about it.

1-Q burns well, smokes easilly, and tastes quite nice. I'm told it has a good room note as well. I'll keep it in my rotation when I get back home for a quick any time smoke. It is mild and inoffensive and, for a pipe smoker of over 20-some years, became my tobacco of choice for deployment.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a standby of the american culture for a reason. It's a really good aromatic. Plain and simple, the ultimate good drugstore blend (if such thing exists). Sweet flavor, nice room note, burns hot and bites at the least over-puff. Wife loves the smell. What more can I say, 1-Q is definitely one of those blends everybody should keep a supply of, even if it's only an occasional smoke.

Adam Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam Z (9)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Inoffensively bland... Am I really smoking?

I started pipe smoking 5 weeks ago. This was one of the three blends I walked out of my local tobacconist's with. I smoked 10 bowls of it before writing a review, as I wanted to give it a fair shake. Honestly, this isn't for me. I don't see what the fuss is about it. I understand it is a nice, mild introduction into pipe smoking, but I don't see myself buying this much (if ever). The bag note is WONDERFUL, and the room note is very pleasant, but I just don't taste much when I'm smoking it. There's a hint of (pleasant) sourness about halfway through the bowl for me, which adds to the flavors a bit, but it's not enough. I feel like I'm only pretending to smoke my pipe when I've got 1Q burning. Of the 13 tobaccos I've tried so far, there are none that I've had so hard a time keeping lit as this one - I even tried drying it for 6-8 hours, but that didn't seem to make much difference. Also, it never fails that the bottom 1/3 of the bowl just ends up as charred dottle that is nigh unsmokable, so it seems that I end up discarding more dottle when smoking 1Q than with other blends I've smoked.

The mild taste might be good for someone coming over from vaping, but the frustration of trying to keep this stuff lit detracts from being able to recommend this as being a good "beginners" tobacco. I give this two stars as it isn't really BAD - it just isn't that GOOD to me either.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 601 & Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Age When Smoked: unknown (bulk)

Purchased From: The Pipe and Pint (Greensboro, NC)

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (66)
Mild Extra Strong Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Like others I discovered this doesn't dry out. It has the hydrodynamics of a liberals brain. No matter.

It smokes readily enough. Stays alight with ease.

I detect a tenuous taste of tobacco through the artificial caramel and vanilla. A lot of things use artificial flavouring. Shampoo, candy, deodorant. I can live with it.

I wouldn't say there's a burn at a particular spot on the rear roof of my mouth, more an unpleasant acid sensation.

All in all, not very nice. It needs to be really cheap. If it was the only baccy left on earth I would smoke beedis.

An hour after each smoke my mouth had the feel of the underside of a witches tit.

Pipe Used: Various.

Age When Smoked: Freshish.

Purchased From: Online.

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)

Many times i dismiss the massive hype something may have, from books to movies, most generally people tend to have poor taste to equally poor criteria to fill the blanks. But in here, they don´t. This is historically accurate assertion.

I have paved the way through lots of aros and english mixtures just before entering this classy. And it is understandable why it is so liked by so many generations. Its mellow character, so typical from cavendish and the sweet note given by virginias make it the "philosophal stone" of aromatics, well, almost.

Taste is rather uncomplicated and no brainer, but it has a magic into it that is quite hard to define. Call it smoked marshmellows, a little of caramel and vanilla and by the mid half a rather whisky taste on the tongue. Taste also evolves, at first cavendish rules, then virginias bring the liquor note rounded by the sweet and very particular flavour that only 1-q has. So this is not a monochromatic aro, it is rather subtle, mild but satisfying, this intrinsical simplicity makes it special and unique, that is why this is probably the pivotal point of referent whenever we speak about aromatics.

Pipe Used: Vauen 1889

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Pleasant

Great Aromatic. There is something satisfying about Lane 1q. I have probably had it by a dozen other names and failed to realize it until recently.

I put down the pipe and smoked only a few bowls, on special occasions, over the past couple of years. Since my only opportunities to smoke have been inside or in public, I found myself often packing aromatic blends instead of the English and Virginia blends I often smoked when I enjoyed four to five bowls a day. I still gravitate toward lighter blends after my two year hiatus.

Lane 1Q is definitely a lighter blend. One of the blends you could smoke and almost forget. The smell is fantastic and when exhaled through the nose it is easy to pick up the vanilla topping. This topping is also evident in the taste, but like most aromatics its aroma is more intense than its flavor. Although vanilla dominates the flavor you will also taste the lightly sweet cavendish under the topping.

I have never had too terribly wet 1q, it has only bit me when I tempted it, and it burns a lot cleaner than a lot of other aromatic blends. It will probably ghost your pipe. My problem, however, has been trying to smoke this in pipes previously dedicated to english blends. Its hard to get much flavor through latakia ghosts, so unless you plan on smoking Virginia flakes or the like after 1q, I would not worry too much about ghosting. The blend is very light.

To me and probably thousands of other smokers, this is the standard aromatic. Its what you think of when you think of aromatic tobacco. There are better blends and there are worse blends but 1q's light vanilla flavor satisfies and is readily available under probably thousands of names at local tobacco shops.

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)

Smoking Lane Limited 1Q is like enjoying your summer vacation on a beach while getting tan and drinking your favorite cold cocktail. Recommended to beginners and aromatic fans.

pipesmoker33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker33 (18)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I've been a pipe smoker on and off for 20 years or so. I started with the otc blends. And still smoke Captain black royal regularly. But have ventured out. I'm a huge fan of Boswell. And I've heard mixed reviews of 1q. Mostly good. And been told it's very similar to CBR. So I took the plunge and orderd a pound of 1q from pipes and cigars and I am very impressed. I'm absolutely in love with this stuff. I do detect some similarity to CBR, but much better. I'm not good at writing reviews but I highly recommended it. Very mild no bite at all and a great room note.

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand,Boswell pokerDr. Grawbow

Age When Smoked: Fresh from bag

Similar Blends: Captain black royal.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (15)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a no nonsense blend and is highly recommended to new smokers who want to try an aromatic and recommended to experienced smokers who enjoy aromatics regularly or on occasion. As for my experience this is probably the best aromatic that I've had. It took a char and light very well. Held it's flavor throughout the bowl (I picked up on the subtle sweetness of caramel and vanilla). The room note was very pleasant and my wife really enjoyed the aroma as well. It also burned cleanly leaving a very small amount of moisture in the bottom of the bowl (it was a pretty humid morning) but no goop. This is a great aromatic.

Pipe Used: Briar

Purchased From: Pipes and Pleasures

Similar Blends: Pipes and Pleasure's "Sailor's Delight". This is 1-Q. Just renamed..

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Got this one to fill an order and was a bit skeptical on getting a US brand. Something about the exotic of getting tobaccos from Europe just seemed more chic.

Opened up the tin and was blown away!

It was moist which is probably bad for a dry smoke, but I really like the bouncy feel of the tobacco and to me added to the fresh aroma I was hit with. It smoked as good as it smelled, like silky chocolate! Unlike other chocolate flavored tobaccos I've tried that were sickly over the top and therefore tasted fake, this one had a bunch of punch and was in no way mild, but somehow was not overbearing.

Smoked like a great candy you just can't stop eating. I have and will keep rebuying it.

Purchased From: Iwan Ries & Smokingpipes.com

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I don’t have anything new to add to the legion of fine reviews of Lane’s extraordinarily popular 1-Q.

It has many good qualities—price, ubiquity, ease of smoking, ability to blend well with other tobaccos, a truly pleasant set of chocolate and vanilla flavors with occasional hints of dried fruit, and an aroma that seems to find favor even among non-smokers.

And it has some less desirable qualities—lack of nicotine strength, too much humectant. It sometimes seems that “goopy,” the favorite accusation leveled at aromatics by people who don’t smoke them, was invented for this tobacco.

I’ve been smoking more aromatics since the weather in the desert turned stiflingly hot, and the star of this aromatic parade is 1-Q. It’s a Twinkie of a tobacco, a factory tobacco that tastes particularly good to me in American factory pipes—filtered pipes in particular. Not fancy, but very pleasant in the right context.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Well, I finally tried the famous 1-Q and I was less than impressed. I guess there is some diasagreement of whether this is a Captain Black blend in bulk or not. I guess to me it doesn't matter. I have now tried this, CBW and CBR. I won't reorder any and I would put this in the middle and would say it is slightly better than CBW, which I abhorred and a little less enjoyable than CBR, which I found alright.

CBW turned me off by the overwhelming sweetness and the highly chemical taste. This was a lot like that to my taste, but less sweet. With the less sweetness, it seems that chemical taste was stronger. The topping seemed to even lessen as the bowl progressed and I just seemed to taste more chemical and hot air.

I know this blend has its fans which makes me want to go two stars, but I just can't see anyway I could recommend this. I hate to use price as any justification on a blend, because to me it is the last chance of salvation for a review. I thought about bulk Aromatics and what I like. That being the Peter Stokkebye blends. I really liked PS's Nougat so I thought I would price check the two for a comparison. The PS, to me, is far superior to this and is cheaper.

Thus my justification to the one star review. To me, there is no redeeming quality to his blend.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)

Lane Limited's 1-Q? I've got good news and bads new about this popluar traditional blend.

The bad? It's a super-cheap-dime-store-tobacco masquerading as a quality smoke at your local tobacconist, that taste like cardboard, is loaded with chemicals and juiced up with Vanilla flavor to mask the cheap Virginias and fool the masses with a pleasent aroma.

The good?? Theres plenty of it!

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Peterson XL305

Age When Smoked: Bulk

Purchased From: Ansteads Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Captain Black (pick one).

cm74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cm74 (3)

New to pipes, I looked around online and this seemed like a favorite. I'm not sure why. It smells nice and it's cheap, but that's about it. The plastic, chemical undertone and aftertaste, while not nearly as bad as Captain Black Regular, is still unpleasant. It's also one of the more difficult of the tobaccos I've tried (five so far) to keep lit. I'm glad I tried other tobaccos, otherwise this and CBR would have made me give up pipes at the start.

Pipe Used: MM Pony Express, MM Mizzou, Wessex Bristol

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Captain Black regular.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Presentation is finely cut ribbon. Tin note is distinctly, deliciously vanilla. This blend benefits from some extended drying time and/or aging in a mason jar for about a year, after which it takes a match well and burns evenly and cleanly, and lacks the hot, fast burn of so many Cavendish aromatics.

The flavor mirrors the tin note: soft, supple vanilla. I don't know if this is the best vanilla aromatic out there, but I can't imagine there's one too much better. To my palette, hardened as it is with VaPers, this blend is somewhat one-dimensional. But it's a delicious dimension, and when I find myself wanting a change of pace, or when I'm conscious of the room note - as with family visiting - it's among the aromatics I'll reach for. Don't expect complexity here. Expect a delicious vanilla aromatic with absolutely no tongue bite.

For the genre, for what it is, absolutely a recommendation.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Room note is ok but it has very little flavor. It seems Lane has relied on the glycol for furnishing the flavor as well as serving as a humectant. It is so soaked with propylene glycol it is nearly impossible to light. Surprisingly, it doesn't bite and it leaves little goop in the bowl considering how wet it smokes. I suppose I could have tried to dry it out but it had so much glycol in it that I could have set it on a sunlit rock for decades and it would remained imcombustable. I like aros but this stuff is awful.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I am giving this 2 stars due to it not being strong enough (nicotine) or flavorful enough. I absolutely love the smell if someone else is smoking it. It can bite if smoked too fast, gurgles in the briar at times and makes a mess of your pipe. Did I mention it smells good? The tobacco in the bulk jar smells good, lit up it smells good and it tastes like, well, AIR mostly. That's all I really get out of it. That and some steam?! I'd never knock anybody for smoking it, I like the smell too much! I really wish it had more taste, I'd smoke this a lot.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've already reviewed this blend, see below. But I have a question which I've not been able to find an answer to. How did it get the name 1Q? Somebody out there has to know?

Well now, where to begin? I'd been wanting to try this blend for quite some time, and finally found a local tobacconist who carries the stuff. He informed me that this was Lane's bulk version of Captain Black Royal, but I found this to be a much sweeter blend. It also has a higher moisture content as well, but it smoked easier than I would have thought, given it's moisture level. Great room note, and I liked the taste. I think if this were left to, hopefully, dry out a bit, it might find it's way into my regular rotation. Good stuff for a beginner to sample. I might even try adding a bit of burley to this. I'll keep you posted...

Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

What is wrong with the world today? Why is this one of the most widely sold blends on the planet? Ahh- the questions I have for the almighty! This crud is for the birds. Tasted like just another vanilla cased drug store blend at first and then gets nauseous. This is another blend my poor uninformed wife brought home from the local tobacco store when she was trying to be nice. They must of seen her as a poor defenseless victim to push this crap onto. They might as well tried to give her dope! It would have been less criminal. I fired it up to make her happy and waited for her to wander off so I could dipose of the rest in a biohazard bag, before going to retch in the commode! Please do yourself a favor and look somewhere else for your cheap stuff. I agree with Kerdy in that Captain Black Blue is a much better alternative.

Rick778 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rick778 (10)

Lane Limited 1Q is a mild pleasant aromatic. It would be a great morning (or all day for that matter) smoke. I definitely detected the vanilla, but also picked up a hint of chocolate and possibly honey. This wouldn’t be my pick of a fully flavored tobacco, but definitely will smoke again. Note: I find it a perfect fit for this rainy Saturday afternoon.

Pipe Used: Savinelle Porto Cervo 320KS

Age When Smoked: unknown

BittLag Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BittLag (1)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

1q smells amazing. The aroma does not translate into flavor. if you smoke extremely slowly and cool you can coax some flavor out of it, but there's almost no complexity to the actual tobacco flavor. I can see some people liking this, and it's certainly nice to keep some to smoke in public or around friends since it's room note is so pleasant. Don't get me wrong, I like some aromatics, but 1q falls flat in the flavor department for me.

Pipe Used: Cobs, briars

Age When Smoked: Several months

Purchased From: P and c

rmw408 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rmw408 (1)

A good all day smoke for me. it has just enough Flavor to keep me engaged. It does tend to smoke a little on the wet side.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Nick Pappageorgeio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick Pappageorgeio (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Been a pipe smoker a long long time, but have never tried lane 1q. I bought a tin about 5 years ago, never opened it. Got pushed to the back. So lit up a bowl. I know it has a reputation of being a old standard. I love it. A first I took a wif of the newly opened tin. Not impressed. But after a minute of puffing, I knew I found another tobacco friend. Hint of vanilla. No tongue bite, smokes even, just, well, good.

Pipe Used: Mm cob

Age When Smoked: 5 yrs

Purchased From: Can’t remember

Kaywoodie Collector Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaywoodie Collector (4)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Happy New Year fellow pipers and pipettes!!! 1Q, the most sold weed in the USA. I puffed on this buy the pounds years ago and was never disappointed. Now days it english, balken, and higher end areos. Recently, my sweet tooth became abcessed and had to have a fix. 1Q to the rescue!! Just as I remembered it, the aroma, the flavor, in a changing world, still consistant as it always was. I dont puff to diagnose each strand of tobacco in the mix, frankly I dont care if its Virginia or Virginia backed ham, I smoke for the pure pleasure of it. 1Q is one of the blends that never disapoints and the rooms vapor trail is nothing short of amazing. The vanilla/caramel topping is sublime. I have recently tried adding 1Q to a couple blends. First is Balken Supreme, which I order by the pound. In a mood for discovery, I took a handfull of Balken Supreme and added about 20% 1Q. WOW what a nice mixture! All the qualitys of a balken with a nice sweet tone. Wife adores the aroma finally and I can puff away at the pc, rather than being outside in -5 degree weather. Secondly, as many have noted here is that 1Q can be a tad rough. I mixed it 75- 25 with... umm Prince Albert. My lord, this now has become my all day pipe fuel. The Pa removes any trace of harshness and vastly improves the burning qualitys without sacrificing any of the smellum good. Get yourself a batch of 1Q and have some fun with it. Great on its own and a wonderful mixer as I discovered!!! Remember, the best pipe tobacco on the planet, is the one you like best!!! P.S. Stevie B, wish we could compare notes, call me LOL!!!

Pipe Used: Amphora Extra, Rusticated 3/4 bent, generous bowl

Age When Smoked: Aged well in my mailbox for a few minutes

Purchased From: Cup O Joes

Similar Blends: Some argue that this is a high class version of the Captain Black Royal. I swear that there is NO resemblance what so ever. 1Q is a tobacco all its own..

RMB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMB (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Another review to go into the pile, nothing really new to say I suppose. Smells very nice from the pouch to the room note. I've managed to produce a bite once, but it was only about the second or third time I had smoked. Vanilla comes through but is pretty subdued. It is consistent, various amounts purchased at different times and places have been identical. If you enjoy aromatics it is very much worth trying. I tend to keep some around.

Pipe Used: Various cobs, meerschaums.

Purchased From: Burner's Cigar Co., smokingpipes.com

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (52)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I'll not knock it, i just don't like it. Or rather, i never desire it. When i do occasionally smoke it i find it to be pleasant enough, but its one of a very few blends that i have put down and later not wanted to light back up, and ashed it out. Its just too sticky and sweet for me, even though i enjoy sweet smokes fairly regularly. If you enjoy captain black, or black cavendish, then you will probably enjoy this blend for what it is. Recommended to those who enjoy nondescript aromatics to puff on without too much thought and a nice room note. If that isn't your style, you probably wouldn't be missing anything by skipping this classic blend.

P.S. a little trick i have to share. The missus unsurprisingly doesn't care for the smell of my pipes, regardless of what i smoke. I get it, i guess, all i smoke usually are non aros. So whenever i smoke in the presence of others, i fire up a bowl of 1-Q and watch her eyes as everyone falls over each other to tell me how much they love the smell of pipes. Its satisfying, in a way. Ahh...marriage...

Pipe Used: Cobs

Purchased From: Buffalo Cigar

Similar Blends: Captain black royal, lanes bca.

toddsmith7378 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toddsmith7378 (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Downright amazing stuff.

Another hobby I enjoy is fragrance collecting. Funny, one of the top niche expensive blends there is entitled Tobacco Vanille. It's a superstar men's cologne fragrance and after two bowls of this I realized I was smelling something so very similar, but better...

It took a minute of smoking this for me to get the connection. Now, I understand the popularity. This isn't just some old concoction. This is downright a near perfect blending of two great aromas that complement each other exceedingly. So exceedingly, fragrances that are also super popular are built upon the ingredients.

The more I smoke it the more I'm tempted to put all my others down. I don't suppose that should happen as tobacco in and of itself is great in all its various compositions, but dang if Vanilla and a touch of caramel don't create something that's exquisitely better than the sum of its parts. Just ordered 8 ounces and this will see many a puff.

Pipe Used: Dedicated Diplomat

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (16)

Echoing the sentiments of others, I finally put away all the fancy experimenting, and went for the long-time market fave, and now it's my fave too. I've been looking fruitlessly for that Carmel flavoring, and here it was all the time...not overwhelming, but with that nutty overtone, it's the best thing I've found since Edgeworth Gold disappeared from the market years ago. Smooth, just the right moisture, zero bite. The taste is mild, so if you're looking for strong tobacco taste, this will probably not suit you. But, for anyone just looking for a pleasant non-offensive flavor that will get rave reviews from those around you, this just might be the one. For me, it's just what I've been looking for, and I can put all the little one-ounce samples away for some occasional use at other time. This will become my go-to, and with about a 25% mix of BCA, I'm heaven bound. Thanks, Lane!!

Pipe Used: Aristocob Kolonel and Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Right from the store, into the pipe

Purchased From: Romero's, Bentonville, AR

Similar Blends: Larus & Brother Company, Inc - Edgeworth Cavendish Rich Aromatic (Gold).

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

For all the hype it gets, I certainly expected something with a bit more "oomph." 1Q is a lightly aromatic tobacco with a cool, sweetish taste, but plenty of tobacco flavor. I think the smell is also a bit bland, but I've received many positive compliments on it from random strangers. My tobacconist told me this is THE tobacco everyone remembers when they think of an old relative who smoked, bit I'm thinking that's actually PA or some other otc blend. Good smoke, neat midway between aromatic and bland. Not great. I mixed in some Planta Danish Vanilla Mixture and kicked it up a notch.

Pipe Used: St. Claude

Age When Smoked: Bulk from tobacconist

Purchased From: Castro's Back Room

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (47)

This one is just alright.. it has a bit of an "off" taste to me that I just can't put my finger on. It has a good flavor, but very little tobacco and the flavoring seems more artificial than say LL-7 or Stokkebye Nougat. I like it and would smoke it again, but wouldn't buy it over say LL-7.

REVIEW EDITED: FOR SOME REASON A HALF-SMOKED BOWL OF THIS CAN SOMETIMES SMELL LIKE BEEF JERKY. WHAT THE HECK?

KETCHUP? BBQ SAUCE????????? NOT IN A GOOD WAY.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat / Legend

Age When Smoked: right out of bag to 3 months old

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

SunriseBoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SunriseBoy (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Being a newbie to pipes I'm very grateful for this excellent blend. Smooth, luxurious and no bite. Especially if you're smoking a cob. I notice of lot pipers squawk about how it goes out, doesn't burn properly etc. Well in the last month I've learned the pipe has to be packed correctly and effectively. The bowl has to be tamped regularly. I even gently mix up the ash on top and chuck it off. Burns way better. I can smoke most tobaccos for a full pipe load with no re-lights. This blend is highly recommended for the newbees and the old-timers (like me) who just want a nice "riverboat cruise at sunset" type tobacco, and none of this rootin', tootin' "ride 'em cowboy!!!" kind of stuff.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob

Purchased From: Cup O Joes

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (33)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It's a classic for a reason. If you're an aero smoker then this is your nirvana blend. It delivers a nice, vanilla/caramel swirl, mild in strength but tasty top to bottom with no bite or bitterness. Great for a beginner or experienced piper as an easygoing, all-day companion. Room note is best in class. (Tobacco flavor is far in the background.)

It burns well and is easy to load. Leaves some dottle and can be a chore to clean up afterward. You're better off using a filter for this one and even dedicating a pipe to it. I prefer more robust blends, but this one deserves the accolades it receives. If you don't like aeros or crossovers are as far as you'll venture, then pass.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bent Brandy

Age When Smoked: Fresh Bulk

Purchased From: 4Noggins

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

All time bulk leader, because it is a solid light smoke. Tobaccos are of good cut and quality, flavor is good and not overwhelming, and most everyone around likes the smell. This blend loads, lights and burns consistently from top to bottom with little or no gunk in the bowl. While I am more drawn to stronger selections, I always have a supply of this one on hand.

Age When Smoked: New to well cellared

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Padre603 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Padre603 (6)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

There is a reason this is one of the most popular blends out there.

It is a true classic, and a staple in my rotation, even though I've transitioned from aromatics to strong English blends. There will always be a special place in my heart and my pipe for Lane 1Q.

Pipe Used: Peterson's

Age When Smoked: 1month to over a decade old.

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (27)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Love Lane 1-Q. A perfect blend of dark and golden cavendish tobacco great vanilla caramel taste. Very pleasurable no bite. Stays lit this very high quality.

Pipe Used: Dwarf cob church warden

Purchased From: Tobacco town

Similar Blends: Captain black Royal.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a great aromatic. Tin note reminds me slightly of vanilla birthday cake with DH frosting. There is a reason so many shops re-label this with a different name. It is an excellent aromatic that will please the smoker and those around him. Despite the moisture content, this lights and smokes very well. Flavors of vanilla, Danishes, birthday cake and toffee are noticed. No tongue bite if sipped properly. This is a great blend for a beginner to start with, due to availability and price point. And as others have mentioned, it is also a great relief blend for those smoking heavy English mixtures.

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

The granddaddy of bulk blends in the States, often masquerading under innumerable house blend aliases. A favorite of many veteran pipers, whether its actual provenance is known, nearly everyone with the exception of the most inveterate pouch buyer has sampled this at some point. The venerable mix is often recommended to new pipers or selected independently and there are a number of reasons for this, chief among them the tin/jar note, that heady mix dominated by vanilla, as well as the visual appeal of the fine ribbon, dominated by medium orange brown highlighted by gold and dark.

The smoking experience is part of its popularity as well, especially to the non-smokers in the room as the room note or scent is intensely pleasant and probably the very definition of pipe tobacco to many. To my mind though, the experience of the piper is notably less fulfilling. The taste, whether of tobacco or flavoring is quite mild and nicotine strength even less so. The lack of punch may be appreciated by those that have never tasted nicotine or have an extreme sensitivity, but otherwise it is so light that it is completely unfulfilling. Mouthfeel of the smoke is essentially non-existent. I remember smoking this in a cob outside during a summer night, and having to turn on the outside lights to see if the bowl was in fact still lit. The taste, what little there is, is dominated by the aromatic flavoring, which is in fact good and contains vanilla, toffee, and cocoa. I rated flavoring as medium to strong. This is perhaps overstating the case relative to many other aromatics because it is not dripping wet or of particular great strength and thus made with a level of restraint, but relative to the overall flavor profile of the tobacco it dominates. Once it burns down pretty well I find it to have a taste of carrots, surely the manifestation of the Cavendish.

Overall, this is a tobacco of quality. I would recommend it to a new smoker, but I would similarly suggest that it would be quickly outgrown. To anyone else who has any tolerance to nicotine, look elsewhere.

Aaron_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aaron_M (1)

I'm new to pipes and this is one that a friend recommended. There isn't much that I can say that hasn't been said by other reviewers. I've made several observations about the tobacco for which I had no context, but now make much more sense.

I've struggled with keeping my pipe lit and thought that it was a result of poor skill and/or lacking experience. After becoming more educated on the topic of tamping, that phenomenon has improved, but not disappeared. While I can now handily get through 3/4 of a bowl without it snuffing out, the smoke takes on the muggy quality of being overly moist. Predictably, I can dump the bowl and find an appreciable sheen of moisture that is somewhat off putting.

When I first handled it, I found it to be noticeably stickier than other Tinder Box blends I've tried. However, with no context I simply found this curious. Drying may be recommended, but again, I know so little about this I wouldn't have thought to try it for effect.

Overall, it's still a pleasant smoke that is mild and well received by people around me. The flavor is pleasant and mild, there's minimal bite, and even my wife says it left me smelling nice. I don't see a need to kick this to the curb, but I do have a lot to learn.

Recommended.

Purchased From: International Cigar Club; Ahwatukee, AZ; http://www.icccigars.com/

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (12)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In the forty some years that I've been a smoker, I've smoked a lot of bad aromatics. Some were very, very bad.

This isn't one of them...

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars dot com

topdogue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
topdogue (13)

This is a mild nicely rounded aromatic that won't bite your tongue, leave goop in your pipe or offend just about anyone. Kind of like comfort food for the pipe. I smoke cobs exclusively and thought i would try some of the "most sold tobacco in the world" as my introduction into aromatics. Buyer beware, this IS NOT Captain Black. The VAs are high quality and the flavouring is lightly vanilla and something else that i don't recognize. Someone posted it was caramel. If you want caramel, try Autumn Evening by C&D. When first introduced it was really good with just a whisper of maple, then Craig changed the recipe and introduced a caramel component and a whiskey component that completely ruined the mixture. Anyway, the real deal, Lane's 1Q, if loosely packed and puffed slowly will reward the smoker with a nice, comforting smoke.

Pipe Used: Country Gentleman cob, sans filter

Age When Smoked: don't know

Purchased From: The Briar Patch, Sacramento, CA

Similar Blends: McClelland Rum Toddy.

Joaquim Pancho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joaquim Pancho (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Ok, in the bag is fluffy, great smell of coffee and caramel and some vanilla, very light though. In the pipe is very tasty, the coffee and caramel flavour are great, the vanilla is not very notorious, but with that two flavors I didn´t really care. I really like this blend, tasty, very pleasant since the first to the last puff. I have always at least 50 gr on my cellar

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: 4noggins - Trout Stream.

NikDanger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NikDanger (2)

Bought it because my son wanted some vanilla tasting tobacco. Tastes a little like CB Royal.smells somewhat similar to CB Royal. This is a relatively cheap aro,probably would be good for beginners. One caveat,smoking it fast,will destroy the taste significantly and cause tongue bite. Next time will shop for an aro a little less topped/flavored.

Pipe Used: corn cobs

Age When Smoked: 50's

Purchased From: Largest internet tobacco seller

PipeGuy82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeGuy82 (12)

I give this tobacco an 8 out of 10 rating.

It was definitely a good smoke. If I had not already established Peter Stokkebye Dansk Black as my go to always-on-hand cavendish aromatic then I might consider buying more of this. The blends are similar in that they are both fairly mild aromatics with a great (non-chemical) taste I just like the flavor of the Dansk Black a little better. Both are excellent quality tobaccos that could easily be all day or anytime smokes for beginners and seasoned aromatic fans alike who are looking for that great smelling, great tasting, light aromatic that still allows you to taste the complexity and quality of the good tobacco it is composed of.

Similar Blends: Erik Stokkebye - 4th Generation 1982, Peter Stokkebye - Dansk Black (No.47).

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (24)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is the most widely sold tobacco in the world, as I understand it, and it makes sense why, it's inoffensive in the extreme. The burley gives it some noticeable nicotine but not much and the mild vanilla flavor still lets the taste of tobacco come through when smoked slow. When smoked hot it tastes like hot air and burns the tongue, however, which makes it in my opinion a poor choice for a first time pipe smoker, especially one making the transition from cigarettes. For me, it's simply too mild to occupy a regular spot in my rotation, but there's nothing wrong with it, and if I'm in a crowded room this is on the short list of tobaccos I'll reach for. Not overly goopy like many aromatics, or overly cased. Many pipe smokers decide early on they despise aromatic tobaccos without having given them a fair trial and a proper smoke. This has to be smoked like an aromatic. Yes, if you're waiting for it to get crispy dry you won't have much luck, but it doesn't require that. But it's a step up from the Captain Black pouches and occupies a high ranking in the mild aromatic category.

Pipe Used: Cobs, briar

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Haters are gonna hate. They hate us cus they aint us!

This is a good blend. I give it between 3-4 stars but am going to give 4 just because so many folks love to hate this stuff. They probably turn around and give 1792 flake a good rating (blech).

I mix it with about 1/3 granulated 5 brothers to give it some nicotine. It's a good blend, but there are better aros out there. Mix it with My Mixture 965 or GLP Odyssey for a real treat. It will give strong English blends a nice room note without changing the flavor too much.

AE1PT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AE1PT (8)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I started out smoking decades ago with mild aromatic tobacco, and every so often found Capt. Black in my rotation. After discovering better VaBur blends--and then Balkan mixes--I left such aromatic blends behind. They simply did not satisfy me and left me wanting another bowl of something else almost immediately.

I had the opportunity to sample 1-Q along with a number of other aromatics as part of a private box pass. Giving all blends due justice, I moved past my initial olfactory prejudice and lit up. This tobacco has no pretensions. It is not a multilayered, complex experience filled with notes of rainbow dust, old leather trunks, or fairy dew.

The vanilla, cavendish, and virginia come through just fine. There is a little bit of strength that is not a bite, but makes for those of us that inhale every so often satisfied with the throat feel. It does not become overpowering--and the room note is like a pleasant incense that does not offend others.

It does need a bit of drying time, and if one does not pack their pipe heavy and try to suck the bottom out of the bowl is not a wet or gurgly smoke. Burns well throughout the bowl. Can't contribute to the conversation about the very bottom of the bowl--as I smoke no tobacco that far down.

There are a couple characteristics that are mindful of Capt. Black--but honestly are shared by all medium topped aromatics. Those that directly compare this to one of the Black blends either are simply parroting what they have read in another review (this happens more than we would like to see), or likely can't tell the difference between a lot of tobaccos.

In summary, a nice aromatic to switch off from other families of blends. Not heavy on nicotine, but satisfying just the same. Great room note, and a pleasant way to spend some time with a simple, old school aromatic bowl. Can be blended lightly with a Burley base such as Prince Albert to add a bit more dimension and nicotine, without taking away the overall character of the blend.

Pipe Used: MM Washington

Age When Smoked: bulk

Brooklynsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brooklynsmoker (10)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

What is there to say about an Icon? It is an all day Virginia and Cavendish with a unique aroma(Vanilla/chocolate) at least to my buds.Very low nicotine and truly bite free. If you are looking for lady N then keep moving on.That said you can always use it as a sweetener in any personal mixture.I mix it with C&D Old Joe krantz to get the nic but this is only an example. You can also smoke this straight when you don't want to think about depth or complexity. What can you say about an Icon?

Pipe Used: some cobs and some briars.

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)

This is a very nice smoke at a bargain price. The quality is far better than the price might indicate. Often compared with Captain Black Royal, 1Q seems to have slightly more depth of flavor and better defined tobacco tastes and smells. A great tobacco for everyday and all day smoking - mild to medium, no tongue bite, good mix of flavors and smells. Compared to other everyday ordinary tobaccos, this is a top-notch bargain. I can understand why this is the best selling pipe tobacco in America.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)

After seeing many recommendations on 1Q I had to give it a try. Got to say, I see why it gets so many positive reviews. Though I am generally not an aromatic enthusiast, I have to say I have really enjoyed this one. It's smooth, consistent every time for me, and it's a refreshing change from time to time from my english and dominant latakia favs. If your new to pipe tobacco this is a great start. If your in the mood for a smooth sweeter smoke, this is a good ticket as well. If you enjoy the complexities of various tobacco combos, this probaby isn't going to be your thing. Room note is enjoyable to all - always positive reviews if you want to enjoy a good smoke around company or the family. One of my favorite aromatics - just jarred a pound to keep some around for a bit.

Pipe Used: La Strada Bulldog, red point - austrian

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

While not exactly what I would classify as a great smoke, 1Q isn't at all a bad one either. In the world of aromatics that claim to be bite free, you can do way, way worse than 1Q. Frankly, it's no wonder that this is the top selling bulk tobacco in the USA. Its simplicity is quite understated and it's so easy to smoke that at times I have been wowed just by its performance alone. I am talking “Woah, this bowl is done???,” kind of performance here.

1Q burns great with a subtle toasty tobacco note, just a hint of a vanilla high note with absolutely zero bite. It is one of the easiest all day/any time aromatics on the market and it's dirt cheap. All this of course adds up to its tremendous popularity.

Nonetheless, 1Q just isn't really anything to get very excited about, (heck I don't know, maybe it's the name) and truthfully I have never been wowed by its flavor. Regardless, this tobacco is the Steady-Eddy of aromatics and it deserves a recommendation for that. Will I buy more? No. Will I smoke the rest of what I have on hand? In due time, yes. If I could give it 2.5 stars I would, but 2 stars would be too low.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)

Ok. First this ain't the be all end all of blends but I will say this, Its a good, solid, light, sweet aromatic that smokes cool and doesn't bite. Its an all day smoke and it will grow on you once you start smoking it. You can't go wrong with this unless your a die hard English smoker. Even a burleyphile would appreciate this blend.

CmdrMcBragg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CmdrMcBragg (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Quick Review: This is a pleasant aromatic that has a classic label attached to it. If you are new to pipe smoking it isn't a bad place to start off, especially in the aromatic arena. There also isn't much to it and as your tastes mature you may end up finding this to be a boring blend. That isn't a knock to new or old pipers, or the blend itself, it is just fairly one dimensional.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I figured I'd end my series of reviews on one of the most well known, non-OTC aromatics on the planet. Tin notes is melted vanilla ice cream and plum. Really smells like dessert here.

Char and initial light is toast and vanilla butter cream. Smoke is fairly sweet, but not "goopy" sweet. On the snork and french inhale I'm getting a bit of brightness, like citrus fruit. I get it a little hot, and get a bit of the walnut pith bitterness telling me to slow down... once I do pace myself a bit I am rewarded with a really warm, thick, creamy vanilla flavor and aroma.

I think the selling point of this tobacco has always been the room note. I had neighbors complementing me while I sat outside smoking this.

Reading reviews on Dunhill's A21000, there is a belief that these are the same tobaccos. If they are, I'm very confused. In similar circumstances, same pipe, same cadence, the Dunhill's vanilla was considerably less potent, and it bit me a bit more. 1Q's topping had a creamy aspect to it that was incredibly tasty.

Pipe Used: MM Legend Cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown

NateNice1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NateNice1 (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

My first reveiw WOW! A pipe smoker for over 25 years from Liberty long cut that I stole from my grandfather to strong Latakia and Perique, Lane 1-Q is by far the worlds best selling tobacco and my favorite. Local tobbaconists can doctor it up or down and sell it for more $ per oz and the 1-Q always comes out. It is sweet not cloying and I find it to be easy on the tounge and lungs. An aro fan and SWEET TOOTH to boot, so I may be a tad biased. Through my Dunhills, Chacoms, Petersons and Savinellis it never SOURED any of my collection as always after smoking I run a Bourbon soaked pipe cleaner through for good measure. For the last 10 years my blend is 1/2 1-Q and 1/2 BCA try that after a few bites of Haggen-Daas coffee ice cream!

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (14)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really am not into aromatics anymore. I prefer a strong English however from time to time a nice lite sweet treat is always welcome. I gave 1-Q a try because I have read so much about it. it is lite. not too much flavor, not too moist. needs a bit of drying and puff slowly it can scald your mouth. I really like it. the flavor is a bit like a very toned down Sutliff molto Dolce (which is too sticky sweet for me) it has noted of vanilla, caramel and a hint of honey. its a very pleasant smoke and got a 10 out of 10 on the room note from the wife who is very critical of my pipe tobacco's room note.

Give it a try if you are looking for something lite and if you are like me, sometimes a break from the latakia is nice.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL21 P-lip aromatic pipe

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Molto Dolce, Matt's Blend (SB cigar & tobacco).

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I am not an aromatic smoker ... but I thought I'd venture forth into this territory for those who are aro smokers, as we all have different tastes and I'd rather not exclude any reader for their preference in tobaccos. Of the aromatics I will smoke, this is probably the one I smoke when I don;t want to think about a choice, am driving a long distance, or am outside working. Why? .. because it is a VA based aro ... and because if aged and dried properly, and smoked through a 9mm charcoal filter pipe ... it's not a bad smoke.

I will state that you have to age this blend. Aging and drying, along with the filter make this tobacco more enjoyable. If you try to smoke it fresh, or at least without drying, you will get some of the cloying wetness so inherent in aromatics.

A sweet smoke, with hints of vanilla and coconut, it has a good room note, and is basically a classic. Aromatics can turn a newbie off pipe smoking if they find they are not smoked with proper technique, but 1-Q is very lenient. It's a good starter tobacco as it is easy to smoke, shag cut so easy to pack (not too tight ... a common mistake made by many is to pack too tight), and it does impart some decent flavor for an aromatic.

I don't use filters for most of my tobaccos, unless I've been a bit hard on my tongue or have been smoking more than 3 bowls a day and my palate needs a break, or as in this case, the tobacco is an aromatic. For those of us who don't smoke filter pipes, you may want to rethink that on certain tobaccos. The reasons for disliking aromatics are pretty much axiomatic. Such understood reasons tend to become mitigated to a large extent when smoked in a 9mm or 6mm (I recommend a 9mm) filter pipe using a good filter. In my opionion, good filters don't cut out the taste of tobacco, they cut out many of the unpleasant reactions on the palate caused by certain organic compounds, of which, charcoal filters absorb well.

2 stars as an overall tobacco, but if I were rating it only against other aromatics, I may give it 3 stars.

Pipe Used: DB filter pipe

Similar Blends: other aros of which I am only mildly familiar.

tankbuster183 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tankbuster183 (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is my first review so I decided to start with a classic. Like many pipe smokers, I started with aromatics, though to be fair I like English blends as much as some aromatic; I guess to the snobs my palate is not refined yet.

I won't boast and say this is the best tobacco you will ever buy, but it is a great starter simply because it is so light and tasty. The tin note smells good enough to eat, like dried fruit, and the room note is light vanilla. If more people smoked this in public, smoking bans wouldn't have come down as hard. My neighbors call me grandpa when I smoke it (I'm 34).

It always burns well for me, a little wet at the bottom, but I tend to puff pretty hard, maybe due to the light flavor. There's not much nicotine, the upside to this is you can smoke it all day and not get a headache.

I would give this 3 out of 4 stars; as you smoke more, this will probably be a little light for most guys, but it's still a classic and always worth having some in the jar.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand, Parker Sandblast Billiard

Age When Smoked: <1 year

Purchased From: Greentree Tobacco, Sewell NJ

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)

You just can't go wrong with this blend. Great aroma, a room note that makes people come to you, and a smooth, sweet, mild flavor. A little drying was helpful for a better burn. I like this better than the Captain Blacks.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Trio

Similar Blends: Captain Black White.

friar_jay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
friar_jay (5)

This is the blend that has kept me enjoying the fine art of pipe smoking. An easy smoke with a very pleasant room note. While this is great for veterans it is perhaps the best blend to introduce new fellas to. I know if I hadn't been introduced to 1-Q (my local shop calls it Pop's #4) I would have laid the pipe down after the horrible experience with Half & Half. Thankfully 1-Q was out there waiting to bring joy to a beginning pipe smoker's bowl.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Quite simply the single worst tobacco I've ever smoked! Absolutely no flavor, no taste, whatsoever. As far as the room note goes, I didn't notice it at all ( I always smoke outside). I cannot believe people smoke this. Someone else said you might as well be smoking colored paper. Sadly, I had to put that statement to the test. I did. And he was right.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie ruf tone

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: local shop

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (35)

Interesting to read the reviews below. Yes, it was goopy when I opened the bag. Dried it out overnight; no more goop. I suppose, because it was aired out a bit, it didn't leave the bowl soaking wet either.

I haven't tried Captain Black Royal but I've had White and that stuff sucks. I didn't detect a chemical element but I did notice that it changed after the halfway point.

But somehow, I really like this aro. Better than other aros and dare I say even more than JMBs Berry Cobbler or Sweet Dreams (with Pennsylvania Dutch Treat in the on-deck circle).

I found 1Q to light well, burn slow (and cool) and there was enough flavour to keep me interested. I've moved away from the early days of nothing but aros but the reviews here made me quite curious.

Subjectivity and all, I guess my tobacco sophistication is lacking. Indeed, everyone around me really appreciated the room note. (A neighbour from about 7 doors down even came to ask me what it was).

I won't buy any more Captain Black because that stuff is just way to expensive compared to everything else (with the exception of may saseini?). But maybe I'll borrow a bowl from my buddy to find out.

Long review, apologies...

Paleoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paleoman (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

My regular smoke for over 10 years now. I tend to puff this while working - reading, researching,and writing. It is a regular smoke not because better blends don't exist but because it is a pleasant puff that does not interfere with my daily routine (either because it is so good that I have to stop and enjoy or because it so bad that I can't stand it).

Opening the far, the aroma is nutty and sweet, and the room aroma hints of chocolate and cinnamon (that's what others tell me). The blend of tobacco an flavoring is balanced, although flavoring is such that it requires a slightly slower puffing pace to avoid smoking too hot and wet.

It is hard to add to what has already been said about the positive qualities listed in other reviews. This tobacco is usually one of the better selling blends at most pipe shops, and each shop will give it their own name.

I recommend this blend for anyone who is looking to migrate away from the sweeter (and often heavily cased) aromatics. This burns well to the bottom of the bowl as long as you regulate the pace of the puff. It does not offend - either the smoker or others, but it does not maintain the taste of the pure tobacco to the bottom of the bowl, particularly if puffed too vigorously (it can turn a bit sour for those who puff faster).

Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I owe my rather brief acquaintance with 1Q to an East Coast philosophy lecturer who, by the time I met him, had switched sides to become a Regius Professor at a Texan University. I was out of tobacco, just holding my empty pipe, while in transit at Houston Airport. He sat next to me (you could still smoke inside the airport in those days) and we chatted about pipes, tobacco, and eventually about XIXth century German philosophers. He offered me some 1Q, as it was the only blend his wife would allow him to smoke (he bought the stuff by the pound and had plenty to spare).

As I already was a London Mixture-965 smoker, I found 1Q extremely bland, sweet and goopy, but with a very nice room aroma. I enjoyed the batch he gave me. A typical drug store blend, slightly similar to Captain Black (but not as meaty), it burnt rather quickly. More than building cake inside the bowl, it left a crystallized sugar layer that rendered my pipe useless. I really appreciated his gesture, but I never bought 1Q again.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this when I was a relatively new pipe smoker and had only tried store brands up until then. My tobacconist suggested 1-Q. I was surprised to find that the smell is pretty much all there is to this blend. After lighting there was almost no taste and the rest of the way into the bowl there was a hint of flavor but I wasnt sure if it was left over from another tobacco. It was a little to hot for my tongue. I had to light more times than I care to mention. Many have said it is a good beginners tobacco, but I wouldnt even say that. I would smoke it if I had nothing else available, but do not plan to ever purchase it again. The one thing that makes this blend worth the money spent on it is the very low cost. It is also a very good tobacco to blend with something else to tone the other down a bit, but I can't imagine any other use for it.

Grayskwerl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grayskwerl (4)

A quintessential pleasant smoke. Nothing great, nothing bad. Perfect for a palate refresh, or when smoking in company. Vanilla/Caramel topping, not overdone. Not a lot of tobacco taste, but that's ok sometimes. Wonderful room note. 'Captain Blackish' vanilla but much more subdued. Burns well, little to no moisture. More vanilla in the first half, more caramel/toasted marshmallow in the second half. Won't bite. Very good, taken for what it is. It's a nice change of pace smoke for me. Comparing this to 'premium' blends is not really valid to me, kind of like comparing a hot-dog to a choice Sirloin. But sometimes, that hot-dog is what really hits the spot. Can easily be an all day smoke. After taste is quite pleasant as well. I usually prefer something with a more straight forward tobacco flavor/aroma, but 1-Q is a really nice occasional change-up. If you really like vanilla aromatics, you will almost certainly like this. A very solid two and a half stars, plus one half for price point.

Purchased From: n/a

Similar Blends: CBRoyal, CBCopper.

nathan_knepps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nathan_knepps (1)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

So I just recently started smoking a pipe and let me say, I have no idea what I'm doing. I started with dunhill early morning pipe and that was a bit strong. While I don't mind it very much I really appreciate how mild and flavorfull the limited 1 Q is. Great for smoking around people and for the times when you don't feel like a stronger blend.

Purchased From: Tobaccopipes.com

HeavyMetalPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HeavyMetalPiper (26)

The smell is strongly vanilla with some chocolate. The taste is similar though toned down. Chocolate is more pronounced in the taste than in the smell. This is a nice, mild smoke.

You can view my video review of this blend here:

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Bent Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: 1 Month

Lower Alabama Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lower Alabama Piper (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Excellent tobacco, this is the first pipe tobacco I smoked as a new pipe smoker. I could not have picked a better variety. You can smoke this like a freight train and not get tongue bite. This is a great tobacco for beginning pipe smokers. Has a wonderful room note. This is one that I can smoke all day. The tin version is a lot better than the bulk version.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum Patriot

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am an occasional aromatic smoker, I don't know why. I like the ones I like as much as any other blend. I think I just tend to tire of them quickly and find little variation between even the ones I like. They all taste vaguely similar even when flavored differently. But when I like them, I still like them. I have heard this compared to Capt. Black, which it may be but it is certainly drier than any pouched CB I have ever come across. The tin note is very pleasant, it is the smell that drew me to the pipe as a kid. It is sweet with the "tobacco smell" in the background. It smell like "pipe tobacco" : the combination of Vanilla and Caramel, and I get a hint of cherry (maybe I am crazy) mixed with the cavendish is a heavenly experience. As the name of the category suggest this tobacco is at its best in the nose. From the pouch to the pipe this stuff smells great and conjures up all things pipe related: fisherman at the wharf, Sea Captain, those memories from childhood of family friends and relatives smoking a pipe after dinner. 1 Q aromas are that of the pipe. The flavor is mild, light and relights is where I most taste the underlying tobacco, The Cavendish (likely a Burley) is sweet with some woodiness to it. The vanilla flavoring is sweet but not overpowering and it leaves a pleasant non chemical aftertaste (another departure from CB and other pouch blends). Comes pretty dry and can be smoked out of the tin/pouch, however I always give aromatics at least 20 minutes to dry to be safe (not a fan of tongue bite). Smokes clean and no mess in the bowl. Very nice simple smoke and a great one when other folks are around. We need to give those around us something to remember the pipe by and for most the stank of a lat bomb isn't what draws 'em in. As I said I prefer English and VaPer blends (well I said I wasn't an aromatics guy, really) but this is the smell that drew me to the pipe. We owe a smoke like this to others around us, and it is a nice change of pace every now and then.

Pipe Used: Briar's and cobs

Age When Smoked: <1 year

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

After reading all the positive reviews I decided to give 1-Q a try. I was very on guard as I loath Captain Black. But what a pleasant surprise. 1-Q delivered. The tin note was nice and so was the room note, as I expected. The tobacco was of perfect moisture and not sticky or goopy at all. The sweetness came though from top to bottom and the tobacco taste was there as well just not enough for me. Also, there was not a trace of bite. Now I'm not a big aro guy in general. I prefer Va/Pers and English blends but, I enjoy mixing it up too. Not a everyday smoke for me but, if the mood strikes I'd fire up a bowl of 1-Q for sure.

Pipe Used: Churchwarden

Purchased From: smoking pipes.com

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (90)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Lane Limited 1Q is reported to be the number one selling blend...period. It’s sold by most B&M outfits under one name or another. I first bought it years ago out of the long gone Dunhill store in downtown San Francisco as Dunhill A21000. It is still sold as that blend. They are certainly the same thing. And if you like aromatic blends, any way you slice it it’s good stuff. Truly delicious Vanilla Caramel Tobacco flavor and aroma. Given a spoon I would eat it from the bag it smells so dang good. Cool with no bite. Easy smoking. Low nicotine level. Crowd pleasing. Room friendly. Easy and pleasy, as they say. Yeah, it’s a little wet in the bowl, so pack some pipe cleaners. Lots of good reviews here are better judged and written than this one...JimInks plus Pipestud, Steel Cowboy & strongirish all do a solid and well informed, experienced review in my opinion. Check those out. Me? Well, I like good tobacco...aromatics, Burley blends, VaPers, etc., etc., etc. and if anyone asked me what I’d recommend in this genre...I’d likely tell ‘em to give this stuff a try. Like the perfect date on a Friday night...she’s pretty, she’s friendly, she has no pretenses, she’s eager to please...and she just smells SO good! That gets her a five star rating in my book.

Pipe Used: Mostly cobs

Age When Smoked: Smoked fresh and well aged

Purchased From: Every B&M in the world

Similar Blends: Sold under a hundred other names..

Hoipolloi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hoipolloi (11)

I was skeptical of all the hype, but it turned out to be well earned. I have smoked several bowls and the sweet vanilla flavor is just right. The flavor runs from top to the bottom of the bowl. Lights and smokes with ease, a few relights, and no teeth to bite with at all. Just a a great light aromatic smoke. As a pipe smoking boomerang, returning after a long hiatus, I highly recommend this for new pipe smokers. Wish i started with tobacco of this caliber.

Pipe Used: Forseti Straight Dublin

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

This blend really hits my subjective aromatic sweet-spot and I'd rate it one of the best if not the best I've smoked. It was quite a surprise when I lit the first bowl because I've certainly smoked this blend before sold under different names for various brands. The tin note has a hint of cocoa. The mix is moist because it is heavily cased but not goopy. The tabacky smokes smooth and sweet, with for me, the hint of cocoa and vanilla, maybe caramel. This is a go-to aromatic for me. Satisfies my sweat tooth without over doing it or being too light. Just right. I'm always reluctant to rate a hyped up blend from a big house this highly but the mix deserves it and Lane knows what it's doing with this blend. Excellent. This is my 99th review! Also, English/latakia blends are my favorite but I love my aromatics in the evening! Bought 11/2015, Opened 08/2017, Finished 01/2018. Blizzard in Boston as I type!

Pipe Used: Peterson, Kaywoodie, Grabow

Purchased From: Icannanotremember

Similar Blends: Nat Sherman 314- City Island Dawn.

FreshNewEra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FreshNewEra (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I generally prefer strong English blends and straight Virginias or VaPers with minor Perique involvement. That said, I found a perfect application for 1Q in my rotation. I have tried a handful of aromatics so far and to me the vast majority taste like hot air, which was actually my first impression of 1Q. However, I drive 15 minutes to and from a train station every day and wanted to try a pipe in the car for my commute. I figured an aromatic would be a good blend to limit obnoxious odors in the car or on my clothes after the fact so I tried 1Q and a few other aromatics. I have to say this is the perfect application for me. First, if I crack the windows, it does not leave any lingering odor. Second, something about smoking it in the car allows me to taste the flavors as fully as I can. It may be because it's the first thing I'm tasting in the morning but either way I very much enjoy it for my commute. Also, I have found that a French inhale allows me to more fully taste the flavors.

N.H. pipe smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N.H. pipe smoker (4)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

After hearing all the hype I decided to buy a couple of ounces ...I smoked it in my Don Carlos..It had a pleasant smell and taste it burned to wet for my taste.So I now smoke it in my Falcon..which made a big difference...all that moisture sat in the reservoir I give this tobacco a 3...

Pipe Used: Falcon and a Viking

Age When Smoked: No idea ..as I bought it in bulk.

Purchased From: Cupojoes

Similar Blends: RLP _ 6.

Singularis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Singularis (6)

I made a sudden return to pipe smoking after a year hiatus and decided to give online ordering a try. 1-Q is a blend I've probably never smoked, unless it was called something else (perhaps even my first taste of tobacco after purchasing my first pipe at Tinder Box). I settled on this, along with the RLP-6 because they are best-sellers at SmokingPipes.com and quite affordable.

I've now smoked both 1-Q and RLP-6 and can say I prefer the 1-Q, though its nicotine hit was more noticeable than RLP-6 (nic in the latter was almost non-existent). But in all other ways I much prefer the 1-Q: a solid blend that I'll enjoy working through (2 ounces worth, which is a lot for this infrequent smoker).

When first smoking this, I was somewhat unimpressed. I was expecting more aromatics in the nose, and on the tongue. Still pleasant, but leaving something to be desired. Well, as I smoked through my bowl, the flavor became a bit sweeter, but never cloying or goopy. Really, I found it burned like a charm. It required a few relights, but that may have had more to do with my unimpressive packing. By the time I smoked all the way through, I was left with just a little nic buzz, and a wonderful lingering taste.

I think this is the kind of aromatic I've been looking for: just enough to be approachable, but a good way to warm me up to the more classic non-aromatic blends.

Pipe Used: Irish second billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh bulk

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Gene Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gene (3)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This a 2 star tobacco. Not good or bad. Sort of a nothing taste for me. I buy 4 oz. Then I add 2 oz. of LL RLP 6.... This gives it more taste and flavor.

Pipe Used: ???? too many

Purchased From: internet

MrGoGoDanbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrGoGoDanbo (4)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

From what I can tell this seems to be a right of passage blend. I feel like it is only a logical step from the drugstore blends. It is widely known and I'd say reliable. I am a fairly new pipe smoker, about 6 months now, and this was one of my first simply due to its popularity. Many sing praises for the blend and I don't disagree with them but as you dig into the deeper cuts of Pipe Tobacco it really doesn't hold up; even to other better produced Aromatics. Not to mention there are plenty of Non Aromatics, with which if one wants to tackle gaining the skill and knowledge to smoke, will find to be just as sweet and tasty. With that being said I'd recommend this, and even offer this, to any new pipe smoker getting into the hobby.

Tin Note: Vanilla with maple syrup and a slight Chocolate aroma.

I'd say Shag Cut/Ribbon

No dry time.

No issues lighting and you immediately get that Vanilla flavor. The Chocolate is very faint in the flavor and I got no maple with which I found in the tin note. And for me, though it smelled sweet, I didn't find it to be very predominant in taste while smoking; Not compared to a nice Virginia. Oddly enough, as I was smoking I also got a slight hint of what I could only compare to the flavor of Rum. Very Faint though.

Smoking was smooth and no burn on the retro-hale. The volume of smoke output was plentiful and it had a very nice white color, however it was quite thin and felt almost non existent when I was drawing from the pipe. No Tongue bite and smoked fairly cool.

Flavor was gone about half way through the bowl. I had a few relights but I smoke fairly slow so for me that doesn't bug me so I don't hold that against the blend. It had a nice even burn and white ash. Smoke time was about 20 - 30 minutes give or take per bowl.

Ill finish up what I have, but I won't return to the blend.

Pipe Used: Legend Missouri Meerschaum/GBD 6660

Age When Smoked: New Bulk to 2 mos

Purchased From: smoking pipes.com

SRQPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SRQPiper (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I thought this was great. I like the mild strength since I am a new piper. Still learning but this was recommended and didn't disappoint. Would like to try some of the non-aromatics.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: 56

Tomasz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomasz (9)

I purchased a few ounces that came in a zip lock bag. Smelled great, good moisture and I liked the thing ribbon cut. Not sticky at all. Easy to pack. Smells like sweet tobacco to my nose. I am not able to really pick out the individual smells. Taste wise this is a mild blend. If you are looking for something that is a real mouthful of flavor this might disappoint. I have read other reviews stating how sweet this tobacco is. I get very little if any sweetness. However for an easy smoke that won't overload the senses this is your game. I was able to pick out the occasional chocolate taste but over all I can't detect any noticeable flavor. I don't say this in a bad way necessarily. This is part of what makes it a baccy that you can smoke often and not tire of easily. Nicotine wise I'd say it's on the low end. I get nic buzzes pretty easily and this hardly registered after a bowl. I plan on finishing this bag up but I'm not sure that I will purchase more. I like it just fine but not sure if I like it enough. I'll see how the rest of the bag goes. I would definitely recommend this to at least try. Burns well, won't bite and has a mild easy flavor.

Pipe Used: MM cobs, Stanwell 86

Age When Smoked: right out of pouch

Similar Blends: mac baren 7 seas blends.

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

You know that smell when you were younger that you thought was amazing when you smelt it coming from your grandpa's or dad's pipe? So this is it.

Lots of blends are referred to as having that "classic" pipe tobacco note, but this is absolutely the one. As soon as I detected it when someone else was smoking it, I was immediately thrust back in time many decades.

The good news is that it tastes great too.

Aromatics get a bad rap for being "chemical" like, giving tongue bite, etc. Lane 1 Q will do none of that.

If I were to describe the flavour? I'd say a hint of chocolate with tobacco. You -can- indeed taste the tobacco in this but along with a pleasant chocolately like sweetness and that scrumptous aroma.

Similar Blends: David's Blend Executive.

Tburglar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tburglar (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This stuff is good. The room note is pleasant and sweet, but not wonderful. It does tend to smoke hot, and you have to be a conscious pipe smoker with this one. That being said, even when being cautious, tongue bite is likely.

Lane 1Q's saving grace is the taste. The taste is not overpowering, but it's always present. The taste never goes flat, and it's always a reward to have it in my pipe. It's sweet with just a hint of sour in there. I might describe it as mango, but probably won't because that would be inaccurate.

This is without a doubt one to try at any price range, but at cheap bulk prices, it's almost shameful to avoid it.

Pipe Used: All of em

Purchased From: Tinder Box (as Wilshire)

roadkill0000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roadkill0000 (23)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

this review is just to keep track for myself mainly, less intended as a serious in depth review. Just to keep an eye of what ive tried and what I like, with quick notes about it. alot of these notes are from memory, and I will update the review as I continue smoking them.

had awhile ago. good vanilla tobacco. nothing super special i think. havent smoked in awhile

PipesofSteele Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesofSteele (3)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm generally not a fan at all of aromatics, most I've tried just taste like hot air. However, Lane 1-Q is something different. When I am in the mood for a relaxing, smooth, mild and sweet smoke that I don't have to think about, this is it. Get good flavor from a retrohale. Not extremely wet, stays lit well and only gives me tongue bite when I'm puffing much too fast. Smells wonderful, perhaps a vanilla topping? Definitely worth a try for anyone that wants something mild and sweet.

Pipe Used: MM Legend, Briar Churchwarden

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The FIRST tobacco I ever smoked and still holds a place in my heart! Sweet..mellow...great aroma..nice burn...never bites me..not an overpowering flavor like many aros...just like an old friend that is just as good as you remember from your last visit!

Pipe Used: no name english basket

Purchased From: local smoke shop

jedibastard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jedibastard (24)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

There is nothing special about this. Plain and simple. Its just a light, vanilla topped blend. Smokes cool, smells great(smells better than it tastes) and some flavor coming through the smoke. No tounge bite, unless you puff like a train and keep relighting. Not too moist. This stuff is fool proof, honestly.

It comes with many names. Ive had this when it was called 'Spartacus' from John Ts, and now its called 'Queens Choice' through the cigar shop here in town that doesnt have alot of pipe tobacco.

I will always have some of this on hand. Not alot, but at least 2oz. Call this a beginner tobacco, call it a blending tobacco, call it what you will, but this stuff is good.

Pipe Used: Morgan bare bones

Purchased From: Sequoia Cigar Co. Visalia Ca.

Foz594 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Foz594 (5)

A very pleasant, inoffensive and mild vanilla aromatic. This tobacco won't knock your socks off, but it will make the people around you happy and give you a soft, sweet smoke. Little to no tobacco flavor, just a mild sweetness with a faint hint of vanilla.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This is the first Lane bulk tobacco I ever purchased. I never read the reviews, just figured it was slightly better than average. I wasn't expecting much, but some tiny bit of flavor shouldn't be considered "much". This blend smells nice in the bag, but it tastes like nothing except hot air. As other reviewers have mentioned, it smokes wet even when left to dry for a few days. It has been compared to Capt. Black, and I assume it must be one of the lighter blends. CB regular, dark, copper, even cherry, have better flavor and better smoking characteristics than this. Sadly, this is a waste, and waste goes into the garbage. Let's see if the other Lane blends I got in a sampler fair better. Absolutely not recommended.

Gresh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gresh (9)

Theres not much i can add that hasn't already been said.

I enjoy this very much as a relatively inexperienced pipe smoker. It has that quintessential "Pipe Smoke" smell and my family really likes it. Similar taste to Captain Black Original, but burns much better. This is definitely something everyone should try at least once

Pipe Used: MM Corbcob

Purchased From: Smoker Friendly. Wilkins Twp, PA

Similar Blends: Captain Black Original.

Biter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Biter (5)

I realy like this blend and plan to smoke more of it in the future. It has a great taste and room note that my Wife loves. It burns cool, packs well, stays lit and doesn't get goopy like some other blends, try some .

Pipe Used: Stanwell Black , Blowfish, and a London Royal

Age When Smoked: 69

Similar Blends: Heaven.

Liam Tyr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liam Tyr (17)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I bought this due to all the hype, and I am a fan of aromatics. I can't say I am disappointed. There is a nice caramel and honey sweetness and a tang I can't really identify. Just about every brick and mortar on the planet that sells bulk tobacco has it listed on sale but under a different name, I suggest getting a sample bowl from the bar or just buying a small bag for a few bucks. In San Jose my Local tobacconist (Mission Pipes) sells this under the name "Shag". If you like sweet aromatics that are fairly mild, then give this one a go. I don't think you will be disappointed, I wasn't. I suppose it being one of the most popular tobaccos of all time is at least one leg to stand on for an argument for this great tasting tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson Canadian

Purchased From: Mission Pipe, San Jose, Ca, USA. http://www.missionpipe.com

Similar Blends: Bjarne Viking - Odin's Wind.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

A Delightful and tasteful smoke, with nice flavor. To me, this is a dessert style smoke and not an everyday blend. The only reason I do not rate this more highly is that is is a little too sweet for a frequent smoke by me, but others, might find this almost addictive and delightful.

Pipe Used: Conway Aristocrat Superman

noquarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noquarter (23)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I rarely smoke aromatics and the reason for that is I do not like the goopy mess it leaves on briars. Lane 1q is of course no exemption. It' s goopy with minimal tobacco taste and will turn sour if smoked too fast. Then again,it is what it is and I like it for my occasional aro smoke on a cob. I also found out that it smokes better if mixed with five brothers or old joe krantz too give it some character. I also like it mixed with some English Balkan for a delightful English aro.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is CB Gold. Since cavendish is virginia tobacco treated, those that enjoy the mild and mellow smoke of Virginias, should enjoy this golden cavendish blend mixed with additional virginia...although I only taste cavendish. For those that like a sweeter aromatic, this will suit you just fine. Someone that wants a bit more tobacco flavor, can scooch on over to CB Regular (white). Someone looking for more of Carter Hall or Prince Albert, can go to CB Copper...one of my personal favorite aromatics. For the price point of buying in bulk, nothing wrong with loading up on this blend and smoking away. Obviously, the room note should appeal to all since basically CB blend.

Pipe Used: Ben Wades

Similar Blends: Captain Black Gold.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The first time I smoked this tobacco (1993) was also the first time I ever smoked a Dunhill. It was a superb smoke then and it has been enjoyable every time that I have smoked 1-Q since then. Right now I'm smoking it in a Missouri Meerschaum. I think the best part of the bowl with 1-Q is the first third; there is the sweetest part of the vanilla flavor and the smoothest of the smoke. This is not a particularly powerful tobacco; it's strength lies in the flavor, not in intense nicotine satisfaction. The vanilla sweetness is at just the right level, not too much or too little. It's easy to pack, stays lit and it burns cool. The room aroma is very pleasant as it the aroma of the tobacco in the bag.

Pipe Used: Dunhill billiard, Missouri Meerschaum

Purchased From: National Electronics (local store)

nosoup4me Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nosoup4me (1)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

It's really the only aromatic I smoke. It's my Monday night, I don't want to think about smoking smoke. Easy to keep light, keep lit and smoke all the way down.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Lane 1Q is the favorite bulk blend at my local B&M. I would say that a good third of the pipe club members smoke it. I keep 3 pounds of the stuff in jars and refill them as they empty. My main reason I keep it is I always can seem to trade this for something I like better. My way of handling this tobacco is to get it from the store and simply throw it in a jar and forget it. When I want to smoke it I transfer it into small pint size jars and open them up one at a time. It gives me a limited amount of tobacco at any time and to be honest does not spend a whole lot of time in my rotation. I have never thought of this as a high grade of tobacco. I pull out enough to smoke and let it breath for about an hour. I always roll this into my pipe with my palm. The drying helps get rid of the moisture and the packing method really cuts down on the gurgle that this is so well known for. I always smoke this in one of my Captain Black pipes. It seem to work for me with a set number of pipes for this brand. It lights easy at first char and half the time I do not have to relight. If you tamper this as you smoke it really is a one match tobacco. As for taste it is mild and it takes me a long time to taste anything. In all it is average at best. If you claim it as a wonder tobacco I just can not agree. For me it is cheap and I pull it out for my friends when they ask for it.

Pipe Used: Captain Black

Age When Smoked: bulk in jars 1 to 2 years.

Purchased From: Amistads

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (121)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Think of the relationship between a Big Mac to a steak. The steak has more nutrition, natural flavor and quality, but it is harder to eat and not very sociable. The Big Mac easily fits in the hand, is heavily sugared and salted and dosed in piquant sauce, and can be easily acquired at low cost.

This same difference applies to tobacco. Lane Limited 1-Q aromatic pipe tobacco serves a sort of tobacco "junk food" in that it is highly sweetened, smells and tastes of vanilla, and leaves behind a room note better than unnoticeable; it is outright pleasant. You can smoke it all day and your neighbors will not complain because it smells like vanilla-chicory potpourri. You will also not experience any level of nicotine that will stimulate your brain, possibly leading to complex thoughts that may disturb your otherwise carefully constructed web of illusions which convinces you that your life and your civilization are doing Just Fine.

On the other hand, 1-Q suffers because it is balanced toward the sweet flavoring which obscures any natural flavor of the tobacco, and as a result it misses the richness and intensity of less-processed tobacco. Its somewhat wet appearance leads to wondering what it has been soaked in to produce this mild smouldering effect, and while it burns cleanly down to white-grey ash, its taste staggers somewhat from overly sweet to a charred non-entity during the smoke.

Mixing this tobacco with richer blends can soften them a bit and camouflage the thick clouds of dark and powerful smoke they leave behind, but in my view, this is a sociable tobacco. Much like going to McDonald's and getting everyone a Big Mac will produce no complaints because it is inoffensive, this sugared tobacco will fit into any social occasion where the tobacco KGB still allow us to smoke. Women love its graceful scent and you would have to burn a heap of it to get any kind of nicotine overdose. At the same time, this may not be a satisfying blend for those who like a rugged or full-flavored smoke.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is considered by smokers, an improved aromatic, improved Captain Black type blend. This is not bad for me,but is weaker in taste and flavour, when compared to Captain Black Royal. I enjoy Captain Black Royal much more than this.

Pipe Used: Many, Brazilian ones

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: a Friend

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a pretty decent smoke. The flavor from the smoke translates into the taste, which is pretty darn good. The room note is extremely pleasant. This is one of the first blends I tried, and the Tinder Box if im not mistaken called this blend "Wilshire." I recommend this one.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)

A very mild tobacco. Nice flavor, but a bit uninteresting to me. I prefer something a bit more flavorful in my Vanillas, like Lane's BCA. This one gets a 3 from me.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Billiard

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Pleasant stuff. No bite' no gurgle, no nicotine. I would buy it again. 3 stars. That said, I can't rave about it like other reviewers have. I'm still searching for a favorite tobacco. Perfect to smoke in the yard, workshop, fishing, lunting.

Pipe Used: Italian briar

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Falcon Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Falcon Fan (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

What more is there to say about this popular and much reviewed tobacco? So I will just place my rating on record and confirm that this was very much a tobacco that is "up my street". I would also side with those who have mentionned that it can burn hot - i thought I had left the beginners "bowl too hot to handle" problems behind me but ............ apparently not. Care required.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)

Lane 1Q is a solid vanilla based aromatic a good all day everyday smoke. The tobacco stays lit well and not difficult to work with. The taste of this tobacco leaves you with a good tobacco vanilla note. The flavor is mild and the room note is very pleasant. This is a great tobacco to add to a collection and to keep available for that anytime smoke.

Pipe Used: Calabash

Purchased From: Just for him

Dr_frankenstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr_frankenstein (5)

Lane 1q.

The essential aromatic. Or atleast what many have praised it as since it has been advertized everywhere as americas #1 selling blend. Yea, its good stuff... but it can get oftly annoying real fast. My sample has a tiny bit of age on it, as it was the first of the blends I ever did buy when I wanted to try smoking. The same 5oz is still around 2 years later. I like the aroma, but i dont find it as strong vanilla wise as some other blends and it taste about 45% like it smells. The Blonde tyrant in the house is OK with the aroma, but still says pipe smoke is to "Old Man" for regular inside smoking so its a mix as to approval or not. It is a tasty smoke, but its smoking charcteristics are what really tend to put me off. It looks nice and fluffy out the bag, but it will refuse to dry. I live in southern new mexico and outside in a dish in 100* weather wont dry it in a resonable amount of time to hit the spot when a smoke is wanted. All the excess moisture really just ruins the rest of the smoke, hot, bitey, sour bottoms, and re-lights.

When it does manage to flash some of its moisture off, you will be rewarded with a pretty nice smoke that yea i could see being pretty popular. But I must have gotten the batch that somebody at Lane dropped the glycol bucket on. Its nice, but I will never re-up on this stuff again.

Pipe Used: Cob, Stanwell 243, MM my pal.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I got this to smoke inside. Hard to find something to say that hasn't been said. It's the dunhill nightcap of aromatics. Smells great, tastes great. Burns well enough with care. Probably not for briar pipes as it can be wet if smoked hot. Not strong enough if you like strong mixtures.

Side note: I think I used to buy this from a B&M that no longer exists. They had it listed under a different name, it was one of thier best selling "house" blends.

Pipe Used: MM cobs

Purchased From: PipesandCigars

Similar Blends: Lane RLP 6.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is what an everyday aromatic should be! This will remain in my rotation for a VERY long time. Great flavor! Excellent in every way! There is a reason it has been touted as a top selling tobacco for so many years. A classic!

Pipe Used: Falcon Shillelagh Billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Aquinas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aquinas (12)

I smoked this only in meerschaums so the experience will be different from that of a briar. As a devoted smoker of English I prefer to keep my finer pipes clear of aromatic additives. I realize this is the highest selling aromatic in the country just lik Walmart is the number one retailer. Like most Lane tobaccos it starts out great but about halfway through most of the flavor is lost and you are left with a bland tobacco taste.

Pipe Used: Meerschaums

Age When Smoked: At time of purchase

Purchased From: Local retailer

Similar Blends: Supposedly Peretti 432 and Boswell's Best but the quality of thes two is far superior with better smoking characteristics. Probably other retailers sell this stuff under another name..

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Really damn good blend. This is the most popular bulk blend in America, and there is a reason. This is a far less sludgy, higher-end Captain Black white (Lane makes both). Because it is not sold in pouches, 1-Q does not need the high humectant load that goes into CBW. Lovely pouch note, lovely room note. If you want to impress a new girlfriend, you could do worse than 1-Q. May need a little drying time before packing, but nothing like CBW.

If this had more tobacco taste it would be a 4. But while very pleasant and something you can smoke anytime, after a few bowls I start to need some real tobacco taste. But it's a nice change for the occasion when I want an aromatic that isn't too heavily perfumed, and this is vanilla basically done right. It is not the world's best aromatic but a decent buy for the price.

I think 1-Q deserves better than the overall 2.7 rating it has at this point; I consider it about 3 stars. Not much else to say, in light of so many reviews, but I recommend it heartily. It is incredibly popular for many years now, and there is a reason. Great for pipe newbs, though huge numbers of old hands love it, too.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am not a huge aromatics fan. While I don't dislike them as a rule I usually go for something with a little more oomph to it. Out of the aromatics that I have tried this has to be one of the best. Out of the bag it's just a mild vanilla smell with very little else to it. Very similar to Captain Black, only a little less overpowering. That worried me a little, because CB can taste like a lot of hot nothing at times.

The main difference between CB and this is that the very pleasant vanilla actually carries through quite well into the smoke. CB tastes only of vanilla (cheap vanilla), whereas this has a little more Virginia that manages to make it through. The flavor also stays the same from start to finish, never letting off the quite pleasant flavor and staying cool no matter how much you puff. No vitamin-N that I could detect, and could definitely smoke this all day. This is also one of the few tobaccos I quite enjoy that when I smoke it around people they predictably say "Wow! That smells amazing!"

For aromatic smokers I would totally recommend this blend, and for non-aromatic smoker I would still suggest they try it. It's the #1 selling pipe tobacco for a reason.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow Viking

Heliumbro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heliumbro (13)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

(I am a newer and irregular pipe smoker. My reviews are subject to my preferences and tastes and pipe smoking habits) Comes in a plastic bag that smells of sweet vanilla, even through the plastic, basically overpowering the whole shipping box it arrived in. Golden, brown and black ribbons. Moisture level is good, could use some drying time, but I do not dry it before smoking. It lights easy and smokes just the same. Never turned ashy or acrid, just stayed sweet, smooth and vanilla-y through the whole bowl. Only got some bite and bad flavours when I tried puffing this thing like a freight train. There is a little 'artificial' taste. Chemical like? Whatever it is, it's very very mild and I only notice it if I search for it when smoking. The wife and kids always like the smell of this and it is what I usually end up smoking when we go for walks in the evening or to the park/playground. For aromatic smokers, this should be on the list of 'To smoke'. A good practicing tobacco as well. I learned to pack, light and tamp with this, as well as learn a steady and slower pace with 1-Q. Can be found for cheap prices at almost any online retailer and even cheaper when a sale hits, even cheaper so in large bulk. (Note: I now blend this 50/50 with McClelland VBC as a standard aromatic house blend. vanilla is a little more prominent for me. I plan on putting equal amounts of this 1-Q/VBC blend together with my Autumn Evening remnants as well, in order to finally clear out my stash of AE)

Pipe Used: Estate Red Dot Briar

Age When Smoked: new/Fresh

peterpiper111 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peterpiper111 (7)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Kind of like captain blacks grandfather. This stuff is more fulfilling, aged, and just has a full body flavor. Vanilla is present with a hint of fruit. Overall, the stuff tastes fantastic. Subtle but noticeable room note. Very aromatic and hits the spot time after time.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula

Age When Smoked: 24

mtitus83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mtitus83 (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I fully enjoyed this, it is an overall good smoke that is not over or under-bearing in any of its qualities. I would recommend this to any new smokers or those who may not have tried blend this before.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega (Briar)

Purchased From: J&R Cigar; Selma NC, USA; www.jrcigars.com

kaveh1983 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaveh1983 (1)

very mild with a pleasant aroma and taste. I have a sensitive tongue but this tobacco does not bother me at all. good starter for those who just want to start smoking.

Pipe Used: Medici straight

Age When Smoked: 31

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (28)

After all the hype I had to give it a try. As soon as I opened the bag I was met with a great aroma that took me back to my childhood days watching my granddad work in his shop. Smokes great and has a wonderful room note. I will make sure I always have some around.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 86

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I really like 1Q. Not much can be said about it that isn't repetition of other reviews but I'll give a go. Smells great in the bag, perfect moisture, packs springy and catches spark well. Usually with 1 match sometimes 2. smokes consistently down the bowl, amount of casing is perfect, and isn't harsh in the least. Great aromatic and perfect for those who only smoke aromatics. I however have been bitten by the English bug and have learned to enjoy nuance and a little more character from my tobacco. 1Q doesn't deliver that and isn't meant to. It's a great simple, satisfying smoke that I'd recommend to anyone, and highly recommend to aromatic fiends.

Pipe Used: Cob, Maggiore and grabow briars

Purchased From: Timothy's fine cigars, Bay City MI

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Having been a pipe smoker for 40+ years I've never been an aromatics aficionado. In fact, I've hated every one I've ever tried. I'm just an old sour puss I guess, but drug store tobacco's and I just don't hit it off. Drove to the hospital in Texarkana on a family emergency this morning and didn't take my usual "bag of tricks". No pipe, no tobacco, nothing. When things settled down, I went looking... Found a small store with a card of cob pipes, (Missouri Meerschaums). The only bulk they had was Lanes 1Q, so I got a couple ounces to get me by... I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I was and have been all day. I'm not going into all the nuances and tastes I'm reminded of. I'll just say it's pretty good stuff....!

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: 60

Purchased From: B&M

Similar Blends: Nothing I ever smoked.....

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)

I enjoy Lane 1Q. It's very consistent, and mild, and easy to smoke. It's slightly sweet, slightly vanilla maybe slightly chocolatey. It can be an all day smoke for sure.

UPDATE Been blending this with some Pirate Kake for when I want a slightly sweeter taste to it, and have been LOVING the 1Q+PK combo! For an "aromatic english" flavour, I highly recommend trying that. But also have been enjoying 1Q for what it is on its own so much more as well lately.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum pride

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars online

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The highly acclaimed 1Q is finally in my possession. Being a McClelland's TQ guy I was just too excited to have this. I can't say much more than what's already been said. But my opinion as a comparison of the two rings as such. This is decent but falling slightly short of the TQ. The TQ just outmatches this slightly in every category. Try them both but think you'll be more impressed with the cheaper imitation.

Pipe Used: Peterson Standard System 307

Purchased From: Allegheny Smokeworks

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (32)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Very aromatic, but with little taste, and very little tobacco taste. I feel this blend is consumed strictly for the room tone it leaves. Do not like the fine ribbon cut

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Peterson,Savinelli

Age When Smoked: 64

Purchased From: Jon's Pipe Shop, Champaign, IL

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I keep seeing pipe forums where someone says i think CB White is similar to RLP-6, then some old fart chimes in "theres no way RLP-6 is CB White. I noticed a hint of grassy cricket fart from the Virginia's and the Burley is slightly nutty but not in an Oatish way, more cracker jack.... Ok to settle this once and for all i called customer service at Skaninavian Tobacco and spoke to a manager named Marsha. RLP-6 is the bulk version of CB white, 1Q is Royal. both have a little extra PG to keep on store shelves for a decade if need be. Guys your tongues aint what the used to be, your palates scorched from reviewing 5,000 tobacco blends a year... Finally we can settle this debate and focus our efforts on finding Amelia Earhart...

This is a Golden Cavendish with a small portion of Black Cavendish mixed in. The hint of fire cured is what really sets this blend apart. When your smoking its Golden Cav, Golden Cav... Fire cured! When it pops up it adds a little complexity and dimension. I mix this with BCA half and half. The BCA calms and cools the 1Q and the 1Q adds flavor to the BCA. My favorite home mix :-)

Pipe Used: Cobs

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't see what all the fuss is about with this blend. To me it's one step above Captain Black. It has a bad chemical taste half way through the bowl and if not careful will give you tongue bit. This is going in my "end of the world" stash along with some others.

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (25)

I have read a lot of great things about this, so my disappointment was a surprise. This reminds me of what I use to smoke so many years back. Now picking the pipe back up after 25 years, perhaps I'm learning I'm not a ribbon cut kinda guy.

I found this hard to park and keep lit. The last few bowls got better, but still lots of relights. My wife doesn't like sweet things (one has to ask why she married me) so the smell was not to her liking. However, I did like the smell when stepping back into the room and catching a whiff.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This has a wonderful aroma both in the pouch and when smoked. My wife was asking, "what's for desert?" Despite the aromatic flavors added you can always taste some decent unadulterated virginias in the background (which is probably why this smoke is well respected.) I'd recommend this to anyone, but the two stars instead of three is due to the fact that I won't be purchasing any more of this simply because I like natural tobacco flavors more than topping flavors.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

A lot of people like this stuff. I don't judge them one bit. I have some of this on-hand and smoke it on occaision, myself. However, 1Q just doesn't do anything for me. I like the taste of tobacco and I don't find it in this. Don't get me wrong; I love a lot of tobaccos with a bit of a topping, such as University Flake, Epiphany, Bob's Chocolate Flake, etc., but this one, not so much. If aromatics are your thing, this is a good one, but it's just not my cup of tea. On a positive note, the wife loves the way it smells!

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

A good bulk blend that's non-offensive and tastes decent enough to smoke all day. Most will recognize this blend under it's retail name: Captain Black Royal.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

You can't go wrong with this bulk blend. It smells a bit sweet when you open the lid with nice long strands of tobacco mixed with an ample supply of blackened cavendish. The vanilla is really an undertone if you will.

1-Q smokes really well. In loading the pipe I just let gravity fill the bowl and top it off with a push of the thumb then char it and finish with the final match. After about five minutes or so, I drop out the top ash and then it pretty much smokes all the way down to the heel with a minimum condensation. Even with aggressive smoking it doesn't bite me. The tobacco leaves a nice room-note.

Nothing real fancy in the taste, some sweetness in the wafting smoke some mild nicotine but does get some bitterness near the end, but then again, most of the tobaccos I've tried do that near the heel and I always smoke 'em all the way down.

1-Q is a good all-around starter or for those who want to try a light Aromatic.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Ah, the famous 1-Q. I found some at my local tobacconist and thought I'd get a couple of ounces to see what the fuzz is all about. Tastes good, smells good, burns cool, decent price. Pretty much Captain Black Royal in bulk.

1-Q is your traditional American aromatic; sweet, mild, and satifying but nothing to write home about.

RusticAuthor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RusticAuthor (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Unless you don't like aromatics, this is a blend well worth trying. Mild, exceptionally smooth, pleasant vanilla aroma, and inexpensive. This is definitely a keeper for me.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Lane 1Q is the Coors light of the tobacco world. It is not the best product you can buy, but at the end of the day it is inexpensive, readily available, and does exactly what it says it will. Can you find better quality? yes, can you find a better value? probably not.

This one smells good, it tastes good, and has the aroma that even an anti smoking Nazi has to like. Its pretty good, it just is not great.

This one is heavily cased, as in your fingers are sticky after packing sticky. It can absolutely flambe your tongue if you don't handle it with care. It also makes the heel of your pipe look as though you have been brewing loose leaf tea in it, it is a moist blend. Your probably not going to smoke this one down to a nice fluffy ash, your more likely to smoke it to a soggy clump.

That being said it is sweet and smells like vanilla. There is a reason this stuff has been sitting on the shelves in big bulk jars for a long time. This is a blend that a lot of people have smoked, even if it had a different name than 1Q. This blend is everywhere.

Wildcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wildcat (5)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Updated 1/31/17: Extremely mild tobacco taste. The "tin" note is nice and room note is very pleasant. It smokes easy enough. An easy all day blend and while it is not in my regular rotation, I wouldn't turn down a bowl.

Pipe Used: Briar and cob

Purchased From: OTC

newsandtraffic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newsandtraffic (17)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This was given to me to sample whilst visiting our local tobacco shop back last year. Quickly became 1 of my favorites. My wife's as well of course. Mild taste. So if you're looking for strength. Look elsewhere. If you're looking for something mild with no muss or fuss. This should do it for you. Try others but always keep some 1-Q around as the good old standby. I do & will continue to do so.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a great first tobacco for anyone to try I think, it was one of my first, and one of my first two "go to" blends. It is a typical American aromatic, the flavor I think is probably some sort of vanilla, but to me it tastes like baked cookies! The room note is very nice, although I don't smoke this one anymore, I always love when I am sitting in the pipe shop, smoking a cigar, and somebody is smoking 1-Q, the aroma is delightful, it is sure to be a wife and crowd pleaser as well!

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

The very first time I ever smoked a pipe, this is what I expected it to be like. Over the years I have smoked everything from codger burleys and goopy drugstore aromatics, to Lakeland flakes and straight oriental blends. My cellar is full of names like Samuel Gawith, McConnel, McClelland, MacBaren, Rattray, and the like. But I have a soft spot for 1Q.

Oh sure, it's not what you would call a great tobacco. And for the life of me, I do not know why. It's inexpensive, it's inoffensive, its downright tasty. But something about it just screams "cheap!" at me. Every tobacco shop in America carries this blend under some house name or another, and it's usually to be found amongst the really obnoxious goopy aromatics.

But, no goopy aromatic this. It's got a nice mellow flavor of soft vanilla, and a mild buttery after taste. The aroma is just nice and sweet; the kind of thing that causes people to think of their grandpa. I have heard this blend refered to as "old man tobacco". Maybe I am getting old. But 1Q has the aroma and flavor that many folks expect when they pick up their first pipe.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

For a change of pace, you can taste virginia at the first match but it goes away quickly. Very mild and hard to heat up,it smells great and leaves that burnt sugar smell on your mustache. Overall a nice change from my rotation. However RLP-6 has this beat by a long shot.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

smells good in the pouch--packs well, lights easily--a bit bland at first, but improves down the bowl--has a bit of sweetness which i find enjoyable--not soggy at all, burns dry all the way down to a gray ash--sipped slowly there was no bite--a slight tingle now and then, but no real bite--

if you're looking for a good straightforward blend check it out--

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Two stars seems to me to be about right in that if someone asked me if I could recommend 1Q to them, my response would have to be, "Yes, but...". I'm just not sure where I stand with 1Q on its own. As a blending tobacco I think it's definitely 4 out of 4 stars. However, again, on it's own, I just can't go more than 2 out of 4. I think it wants to be Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend but doesn't quite get there. I wouldn't even say it's Mixture's younger brother. Maybe a younger cousin. Taking it for what it is, it still leaves me wanting just a tiny bit more. Like it's teetering on the precipice of a hill but just doesn't have the oomph to go over. It is a light, sweet, great smelling smoke but lacks a certain element.

I had to try it, just to see why it is so popular, and so highly recommended to new pipe smokers. Since I am no longer a new pipe smoker, I need a little more oomph, and this was also true when I was just starting out. That said, I think I will smoke this from time to time. It's a mild, inoffensive aromatic and not too goopy. I can more easily finish a bowl of this and enjoy it than I can with CB. Unlike some aromatics (and other tobaccos) this seems to smoke just fine right out of the bag, without needing to be dried. This is also good smelling stuff without being overpowering, and would probably be tolerated by most nonsmokers. This may have something to do with its popularity, but again, not a bad little blend in its own right.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Some folks perceive themselves as "purists" and will never say a nice thing about an unabashed aromatic blend. Oh well. I prefer "English" blends as well, but if you are like me, you will find Lane's 1Q is an old-fashioned aromatic blend that you will end up returning to time and time again, and a great change of pace if you are an English smoker who needs a good blend to smoke in mixed company. Smells wonderful in the pouch. Packs easily (but make sure you do not pack it too tight). It is very moist, so I recommend drying it out for a couple of days, unless you like a hot pipe, bite, and sogginess at the end. But if you let it dry a little, you will be rewarded for the small effort.

By following the instructions above, and lightly tamping as you work your way to the bottom of the bowl, it burns fine, leaving a grey ash at the bottom with a couple of pieces of carbon dottle. Unlike many aromatics, 1Q leaves no unpleasant "ghosts" in the pipe.

If you have a large bowl, you will probably end up knocking out the last fifth of the bowl and not smoking it all the way to the end. If you want to smoke all the way to the end of the bowl, I recommend just loading a half-bowl to smoke at a time. As with all aromatics, it can get a little harsh at the very end if you don't.

Anyone within smelling distance will compliment you. I never detected any hint of "cherry" note, as a reviewer below mentioned. No fruitiness at all. The taste? It is similar to Captain Black Royal, but not as gooey or syrupy sweet. Nice billows of dry, nutty-sweet smoke. Just a good, all-around aromatic that you will end up smoking more of than all your other more expensive blends.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

I give this a 'somewhat recommended' rating only because as I, dedicated "English" smoker, am surprised to find myself pleasantly taken by this blend, but not sold enough to smoke this everyday. I've little experience with any cased or topped tobaccos in general. A couple of month's ago I stopped into Cigar Express #14 here in PA and asked the manager if she had any English-style pipe blends. There were no descriptions on the bulk jars and my nose didn't detect any. She relied, "1-Q". I was surprised and asked, "Are you sure?" Yes, she was. So I asked for two ounces to try. She weighed out four, charged me for two, and away I went with my 'deal'. In car, on way home, I loaded up one of my favorite Lorenzo pipes (mistake)...should have used an old Kaywoodie from my early days. I found this actually quite pleasant. Tasty, but not overly sweet. No bite. No wicked aftertaste. But 'pleasant' that is until I reached the goop which usually is the called dottle in bottom of my now formally favorite pipe. I've no idea what this is flavored with but it suffices any urge I have for an aromatic, if that is what this really is. Now I carry two pouches - one for my English (whichever I'm rotating through) and one for this, just in case I get that urge. And two pipes (one for each). Lorenzo seems tainted permanently. Wherever that shop manager got the idea this was an English is beyond me. Should have read the reviews here first.

Coop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coop (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I cannot get away from this stuff. I have smoked only this blend for nearly 3 years straight. I have pounds of this jarred & maintained hoping to draw out more flavor. 1Q is very mild in flavor (too mild) and to me smells like a yellow cake in your oven. On a damp day it can be tempermental so slow it down a wee bit. One of my favorite parts of the smoke happens if you let it start to go out and it is kinda smoldering but not really puff recoverable - it has a terrific "bowl note" to it. I usually get a sniff or 2 from the "buisness end" of the bowl. You'll probably get no complaints from the public about the scent so just enjoy being the center of attention.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)

I would have to dub this the most generic aromatic pipe tobacco available. It isn't a bad tobacco, just... generic. If you're looking for a mild smoke that is pleasing to the crowd in the room then this will work for you. Tongue bite can be an issue if puffed on too hard which can happen with aromatics, especially if you want more of the taste and you draw more deeply to get it. There seems to be a hint of vanilla in the room but it certainly didn't seem to carry through to the flavor. The tobacco seems to be decent quality.

The best use I've found for this tobacco is as a blender. Right now a 50/50 blend of this and the burley of your choice will liven things up a bit. Not a complex smoke, just adds a little more depth to the nutty burleys that are available. Heck, a little of this and Prince Albert isn't too bad either if you're in the mood for a change of pace smoke.

Very Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is the bulk of Captain Black Royal with somehow less conservative agents.

Most people start pipe smoking with 1Q and keep smoking it forever(with 1 pipe), or they just quit smoking for good (tongue pain), or they back to cigarette, few of them continue pipe smoking with higher quality tobaccos and pipes.

This may explain why this blend is Worldwide no.1 selling.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (64)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

this is a classic aromatic and deserving of it's place, but it is not for me. i find this to be much too heavily treated, even to the point of making my throat itch and giving me a headache. i will not knowingly buy this again and if it were all that i had to load my pipes with i would put them up for auction. i rate this as "somewhat recommended" only because i know that are many who prefer aromatics, and for those that do, this is certainly one to try.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Good starter tobacco; novice pipers really like this. But it smokes wet and a bit hot. I've moved on; this does not appeal to me any more.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

As others have said, 1Q is a very classic smelling tobacco which most tobacconists carry as one name or another and my wife happens to love the smell. However, this is probably the only reason I will keep smoking this, as it is plain and dull in flavor.

A small bag of this shall remain in my cabinet for those times when I have to remedy too much Nightcap, in order to keep the peace.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

*Updating this review. Last time I smoked a bowl of this stuff I used TWO pipe cleaners to get all the gunk out of the pipe. Not terrible but you can do better. I'm downgrading it to 2 stars.

This is mild, inoffensive and middle of road blend that I keep around for the occasional smoke. I've smoked similar house blends from various tobacconists that always seem to emphasize the black cav. I was pleasantly suprised to find that this is tuned a little more towards the so called golden cavendish so isn't overly sweet. Also suprising: it's not goopy or wet and burns consistantly to a gentle, non-bitter finish. No tongue bite at all. Every once in a while I like this if I'm tired of the more robust, stronger stuff that sits in my larder. Not a bell ringer exactly, but in bulk it's affordable and pleasant. I agree that it might be a good starter if one doesn't get stuck in the genre. Worth a look if only as a point of reference.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)

I bought this blend at my local smoke shop and I have to say its not bad ,though its more of a beginner smoke. The room note is good and even pass the wife test , in fact she bought another ounce of this stuff. The flavor has hints of vanilla I think.I dont get much of a tongue bite either. This blend you got to try at least once , it might be your your next favorite ,for me it is just something I tryed and probably will buy in a few years when I feel like having some.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the better American Aromatics. My sample has lost some of the moisture it arrived with and has become a pretty good smoke. The taste is all choco-something but I enjoy it in limited engagements. Smokes very clean and dry. Burns quite a while too. This stuff is just made for a Dr. Grabow or a corncob. Good smoke for puttering in the workshop or garage. Just put the pipe down when it gets too hot and resume puffing when it cools down. (07/08/2005)

Update: A economical beginner smoke. Smells good too.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Ah yes..This is called All day Long in my local B&M. Smells good and ....well thats about it. Oh yeah it tastes like...steam. Great room note though. Perhaps they could make this in an insense stick. Because thats about all its good for. For beginners maybe if they don't want to actually taste anything resembling tobacco. 12/18/04