English type. Latakia

Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.1
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

It's got a decent latakia flavor, and grass and sweetness from the Virginia. I believe there's a little cavendish in here, too. Burns well, has a little nic-hit, and is a fair starter English mixture. If you're into heavy Balkan blends, you may find this a lighter change of pace.

BurghBelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurghBelly (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This, to me, is a very middle of the road smoke -- not bad, but i tend to forget I'm smoking it: nothing wrong per se, but nothing that makes me notice it either. I'm partial to more Latakia in an English, but it'd make a good bridge smoke for a new smoker or someone switching to English blends. It's readily available to me, so I might buy it again in a pinch.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

This no longer produced blend is worth buying if you can find it. It's basically a very mild English blend along the lines of Dunhill EMP except it's milder. Packs well and doesn't bite.

Jake696 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jake696 (10)

I think this blend has received a bad rap. I smoke both aromatics and English blends and find it a nice intermediary change. Not too strong and maybe a nice first pipe of the day smoke. It's never bit me, sent my heart racing, or made my throat raw as some of the stronger English blends do. That may be mild to the hard-core English smokers, I admit to being a lightweight and can't handle some of the strong rope and flake English blends.

Mine has never come too wet or in need of drying. If you don't like any of the components then perhaps you should stay away. There is Latakia in it and some folks can't handle that. It's a toasted cavendish to which latakia, burley and Virginia's are added.

It may be a cheaper Lane blend, but I believe it's a value and worth trying, if not keeping a stash on hand...

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

When the pouch arrived, the smell was great: deep, spicy, old fashioned. Sorely, the taste proved to be a little flat, nothing to share with those full flavoured English mixtures I happen to favour. It burns well, cool and dry, but it delivers a so subtle taste you really have to stay focused to detect it, while the main course is an indistinct toasted-nutty flavour: nothing bad with that, especially if you like delicate and mild blends, but I'm looking for a bigger impact type of tobacco; nevertheless it could be a fine starting point for those of us who want to explore the world of latakia-oriented mixtures. Not a winner though not a loser.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

An excellent choce for a "budget" English. I actually preferred this to P.S.'s "Proper English" which is also a decent blend. No it is not comparable to G.L. Pease or Esotericas' blends but at about half the cost and more readily available than the premium tobacs, this one is a winner. A good blend to try an English style without some of the higher potency issues that large quantities of Latakia or Perique raise. (10/22/2004)

Update: About two and one-half stars.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)

Too bland, too simple, too mild. It could use a little Oriental. This tobacco is the next place to go when one graduates from Walnut or Barking Dog. I recommend LL A-100. It has stayed consistent over the years. Crown Achievement has its ups & downs in recent years. When it's on, it's on; but when it's not - smoke some firewood, you'll get a nice headrush at least.

Bootknife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bootknife (17)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recieved 2 oz. of this from my neighbor. I have used about an ounce in the year I have had it.

Looking at the reviews above, I have to think there may be some inconsistency in Lane's blending practices for this one.

This is a medium modern english/aromatic blend. The sample I have has a definite casing of some sort - IMO a combination of clove and anise or licorice. It behaves a little better than the typical Lane blend. It will definitely flavor a bowl, so don't try it in your favorite briar.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love high quality english blends, this is not one. First I had 2 ounces of this and could not get a good burn out of it. It wanted to bite even with restraint. The flavors seemed subdued to me. There was also a mild casing of some sort that I did not like, maybe marshmellows? With all of the high quality english blends on the market, I would avoid this.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I received an ounce of this blend as a bonus to a large tobacco order, but I wasn't able to develop enough interest to finish the sample. This tobacco reminds me of Gertrude Stein's famous comment about Oakland: there is no "there" there. Built of chopped brown-and-black ribbon, it smells of nothing much in the bag. Easy to gravity feed, it lights and burns well, producing a ghostly impression of an English tobacco. Sometimes tending toward the bitter, it is mostly smooth and always very light in taste. I can recommend this tobacco to the cigarette smoker who wants an inhalable English; otherwise, why not summon enough courage and pennies to smoke a manly tobacco? :) :) :)

Tbombadil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tbombadil (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this stuff while going through my local tobacconist's wide ranging assortment of goopy Lane blends. I have to admit it was a real surprise.

Being a Lane blend I'm pretty sure that we're talking basicly cavendish, a little Virginia and latakia. And we are talking a quantity of latakia. This stuff's not your bland fruity basic Lane blend. It's a full bodied English mixture, as a matter of fact since I'm primarily a Va smoker this was almost too much English for me. However, if your tastes run that way and you find yourself stranded with only a smallish shop you might want to give this one a try