For over a century blenders have added the aroma and flavour of Turkish and Latakia tobaccos to Virginian and Cavendish leaf giving this blend it's distinction.

BrandJames Fox
1.9
lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Like all of the Fox blends I have tried, The Squire's Mixture is a quality mixture of beautiful tobaccos beautifully cut. Colors range from black to light browns and the ribbon is cut thin and short for easy packing. The tin aroma is sort of fruity, sort of floral, sort of soapy in the way of old-fashioned English "aromatics." (I think this tobacco is intended to be an "aromatic English." ) Usually that soapy smell puts me right off a blend, but in this case, the taste and aroma are restrained enough to add interest to the blend without overdoing things. Once lit, the smoke is cool, smooth, and neutral with the slightest floral undertones. The room note is airy and slightly sweet, not bad at all according to my wife. I don't think you'll find here the sort of flavour you expect from the usual stout English blend, but non-smokers will find this easy to be around, thus proving there is a niche for an aromatic English. I've not yet had this blend bite me, but there's enough Virginia here that you could probably force it into a nip or two. Latakia is listed as an ingredient, but if it's here, it's just a smidge. Overall, a nice, light, mild tobacco you can smoke around others indoors that still tastes like something. Not a bad accomplishment.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

when i ordered it i was asked to take 5 tins, because no one else asked for it so far at my tobacconists. Nothing to say about the tobacco itself maybe about the pipe smokers around in this area. Upon opening the tin, a fresh floral rather musky flavoring invites you to keep your nose in the tin, guessing what the hell is in there i cannot detect. But it is no lakeside flavoring in this tobaco anyway and it is not soapy, although i like the lakeland smell very much. The colour of the cut virgina leaves is from light brown to dark brown a bit moist but good for loading a pipe right away. The flavouring is always there, it vanishies within the second half of the bowl, the smell of the smoke becomes more the way good tobaccos should be, earthy and with a little touch of the typical virginia smell i love. Burns down to the bottom, no problems with relighting needs. Simple and easy to smoke. At the end there is nothing of a ghost in my pipe, compared with other more established tobaccos like condor. To me this is a typical oldfashionde tobacco one likes or not. So I don´t give any recommendation. I think everyone should even try it - I don´t have it in my weekly rotation but I smoke it very often.

skippy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skippy (8)
Mild Mild Overwhelming Tolerable

tin smell is not describable floral chemical plant and and grand aunts perfume. Nice appearance and cut however the smell both in tin and under torch was off putting. this blend while moist burned nicely and left a fine ash. packs easily since it is nicely ribboned but the smell is more than i can stand i think i shall have to throw away my radice fouled by this smoke

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I found yesterday that I had a sample package of this on hand, untested. Reading the reviews here piqued my curiosity and so I opened the little zip-lock (about 3 bowls worth) and loaded up along with some black coffee. I was in no hurry and wanted as full three bowls would allow. First, I read here some comparison to Dunhill Royal Yacht. I compared the two and visually they appear identical. The Squires Mixture is a quality ribbon of rather dark mono-colored brown tobaccos. Pouch/tin aromas were definitely different but I'm not sure if I wasn't just smelling plastic with Squire's as it was the same for my Caminetto samples (from same distributor- and for the Presbyterian in US - as well). Lighting was a no hassle affair. First impression: SWEET. And SPICY as my nasal passages registered a tingle similar to a perigue laced blend. But no perique is listed in ingredient description - must be the particular recipe of Orientals used here. My mouthpiece left a sweet taste on my lips at each pull. Second impression: a wine-like fermented fruitiness, pear, plum?...can't place it. No casing or topping is mentioned but what do I know? I wondered, "So, where's the Latakia"? It showed, in force, in the last half of each bowl and it stayed until nothing was left but a fine gray ash. The fruitiness came and went at the second half and sweetness abated somewhat. The general smoking experience, without the fruit, reminded me very much of Tnderbox's Philospher. And, at that being far less than 1/2 the price of this... This rates 2 stars - smokable but not likely to purchase. Maybe I should say I wouldn't go to extraordinary lengths to buy this from an e-tailer paying S&H, maybe if a tin presented itself to me in a shop. Maybe.

varg winter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
varg winter (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma is like soap and a little fruit. No smell of latakia at all! Smoking: no latakia noticable! Just the taste of a medium quality blend/tobacco with a little aromatic toutch. Somewhat recommended.

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I'm somewhat disappointed on occasion at "blend descriptions" by the brand manufacturers. Turkish, latakia, etc.....why not just say you poured plum jelly into the mix. I'm not putting this blend down by saying this as I rather enjoy it as a smooth aromatic and dare say there aren't many smooth ones around. But just say it's that and don't tease me with the different "leaf" blah blah blah. I'll probably keep a couple tins but it wasn't what I expected on my cavendish journey. If you pour a pile of maple syrup on an egg....it's not gonna taste like an egg.

ruggiero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruggiero (19)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Fox' answer to Dunhill's Royal Yacht.

The flavor profile of this assemblance of varietals yields an "unnatural" tobacco taste, in my opinion, like the blend was spritzed with grandmas perfume (I feel the same way about Royal Yacht).

Not my cup of tea.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This fine shag tobacco comes very moist in the tin ... so a little drying out will serve one well to start. I found the components to create an interesting smoke with a light casing that moves to the background quickly. I'm not sure if I would classify this as a aromatic but it definitely has an initial flavoring. As far as it being an English blend, it claims no pedigree, and many English blends have a light topping.

One thing for certain, if one packs this too tightly and smokes it without a moderate drying, it will be a steamy and tasteless experience. I've noticed this about Fox blends and approach them accordingly. I find by lightly rubbing half a tin at a time into a container long before smoking makes for a totally different experience than directly from the tin.

The Latakia is light and the Turkish is more abundant making the bowl more naturally flavorful as the casing fades to the background. I think this is a terrific time to time smoke that is complex without being strong.

Cheers, VC

There's something into this tobacco that never convinced me, beginning with: what the hell this mixture means? Is it an English mixture? No, it is clearly cased, so it can't be an English. Is it an aromatic? No, the components are the classic English ones...Accepted that this is a strange kind of blend, the smoking experience hasn't been one to remember. The first part of the bowl have been dominated by the aromatic casing, the secon part was completely dull. I don't even know to whom I could recommend this mixture!

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend, quite frankly, was gosh awful! It even smelled strange in the tin. I suspect the casing used is responsible for the complete wipeout of what probably was once quality leaf.

This blend does not burn rapidly or hot. It packs well too. Beyond that, I really can't find anything else nice to say about this stuff. It may please some, but is just flat too floral for me. I might as well be smoking rose petals!