In this mixture, fine matured Virginias have been carefully blended. This is a very cool smoke with outstanding taste. The blend was named after Walter Wingfield, the inventor of the original version of lawn tennis and a long time customer of the Robert Lewis shop.

BrandRobert Lewis
Blended ByR.L. Will
Strength
Taste
3.1

This one will fool you. I noted that one of our esteemed reviewers thought he tasted Latakia. Well, I did not and that's because there is not any in this blend. But, it does have the "Presbyterian Mixture" English taste. I suspiscion some stoving and melding with some strong Virginia leaf creats the illusion of Latakia.

I loved the shag cut which made packing easy. This blend is at an almost perfect moisture content and smokes evenly all the way down the bowl. I was a little less than thrilled with the wallop - (kind of limp wristed) - but it otherwise provides a nice smoke. It reminds me of a low maintenance woman I once dated. She was not very demanding and didn't require much attention. And like this tobacco, our relationship didn't last last very long.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)

This stuff is terrific. I enjoy it as much as any tobacco I've smoked in the last 50 years. Not for the novice but just great for the experienced smoker who likes a shag cut with full flavor.

Pipe Used: Billiard

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: n/a

Similar Blends: This is similiar to Capstan yellow only better as I love the shag cut of this blend..

Partly because it's a straight Virginia, though mostly because of the thin cut of the tobacco, this blend burns well and a little too quickly. You should not puff like a freight train or you may risk a little tongue bite, and a light cigarette taste. Smoke at a regular pace, that won't happen. There's a light woodsy flavor underneath the grass and hay notes, and very little sweetness. It sort of has a monotone taste, but if you're a pure Virginia smoker, I think you'll find it to be a good workingman's mixture that pleasantly plays along with you.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Having had a tin of RL's excellent Tree Mixture, I thought I would give this one a go and had high hopes. Sadly, it didn't turn out quite as I had hoped.

The tin aroma is barely perceptible, possible hints of hay perhaps but nothing definite. Packing and lighting are very easy, Sadly, for the first four or five smokes, it was completely lacking in flavour, not impressed. A whiff of something cigarette like and a quick burn didn't help. I decided to transfer it to a jar and left it a day or two and, after coming back to it, it did start to develop some flavour, hints of latakia as some previous reviewers have mentioned and a little hay. As I have made my way down the jar, hints of hay and something creamy and slightly VaPish have popped up too. They're quite pleasant when they occur but all to often that blandness pops up. And no matter how carefully I smoke it seems to burn very fast, even when compared to other ribbons.

On the whole then, there is potentially good tobacco here, some of the flavours here are good when they appear but aren't consistent enough and the stuff is largely too bland to warrant much praise. Comparisons to Presbyterian Mixture aren't completely unwarranted but it's nowhere near identical. I have a feeling this stuff probably needs to be stuck in a jar and left for a couple of months and, when funds allow, maybe I will do that. Until then, two stars and an "ambitious but rubbish" stamp on the paperwork will have to do.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 65

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I have already reviewed their Tree mixture. This one is almost the same without Latakia. A very good English blend, fully satisfactory. I got good remarks about the room note which is not common!!

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

On first sight, this blend looks more like a hand rolling cigarette tobacco rather than a pipe tobacco. The cut is described as "Broken Flake" but could better be termed as a rubbed out flake. The individual ribbons of tobacco are much thinner than most blends. The tin note is rather mild, with just the gentle smell of tobacco and nothing that really stands out.

Being a fine cut, it fills the pipe very well, although I imagine it would be easy to over pack. It also lights easily and burns fairly quickly. The first time I smoked Wingfield, I didn't think it was anything special. Pleasant enough, but not outstanding, I have found that it has really grown on me with each bowl I smoke and makes a great all day smoke.

The contents list above states that it contains Latakia but, if it does I could not detect its distinctive flavour. The taste is that of a real quality Virginia. Smooth and with a lovely sweetness. It is easy to keep the bowl cool even though it smokes fairly quickly. I would recommend trying several bowls of Wingfield as a nice, easy to smoke, all day or morning blend.

Julian Arden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Julian Arden (8)

My new discovery. Really interesting tobacco, something natural and tasty. Easy to pack and relatively fast burning because of almost shag cut and temperate moist. I consider it as a serious advantage - all these recently very common broad cut and glycol-wet mixtures are inconvenient and often of poor quality. Here quality is obvious. Taste is mature and earthy, slightly piquant, but with no bite and certainly no "choking". After 30 years of experience as pipe smoker, it is my number one, or one of number ones. Classic English tobacco for the people, who are not necessarily Latakia-lovers.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I think Mr. Dottle is correct in his summarizing this tobacco as "good enough". I would agree that it packs well enough, lights well enough, and tastes good enough; all that he said in that vein. However, I do not feel that "good enough" justifies the price that one can expect to pay for a tin of this.

Were this a two-three dollar an ounce bulk blend, I would be more apt to recommend it. I paid roughly $14 for a 50g. tin, and it isn't good enough to warrant such a price. It tastes alright, it smells okay, and it is sort of satisfying. You can smoke this stuff all day long, but you may not wish to for fear of suffering from tongue boredom. It's "good enough", but not really good enough for the price.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

If I may ?borrow? Stuart Smalley (Al Franken?s character) for a moment and his thoughts about Wingfield: It?s good enough. It packs well enough. It burns well enough and, doggone it, I like it! Actually, the moisture content is ?just right? and the shag cut of this tobacco is ideal as it packs well and has superior burning qualities with few or no relights. The sweet, always mellow, mild and sometimes subtle fruity taste is very much to my liking. I cannot find any shortcomings with this blend although others may find it lacking in the strength department nor did I find that it ever burned hot as others have experienced. This is now among my personal favorites so let me be the first to give this fine VA blend 4 stars. My advice: Just ?Wing? it and give it a try!

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.95 out of 10.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

The tin pops open easily and closes tightly, unlike Dunhill?s tins that are fiendishly difficult to open and reseal. Initial tin aroma: moist fresh-cut hay ala Dunhill?s Elizabethan, though a more pronounced fruitiness dominates. Appearance: less speckled than Elizabethan, stringier and shaggier in cut, like cigarette tobacco. Tobacco pulls nicely from the tin, is pleasantly moist and packs very well into the bowl. One charring light is needed to get it going; then, tamp and relight and you?re in for about an hour of civilized pipe smoking. Burns slowly and evenly. Smokes dry and pure and leaves an immaculately fluffy white ash. Tamp down or lift off top ash, or it will start to fly around the room as you walk around or bend over. I give this blend five stars for good behavior. This is definitely an indoor smoke. Upon lighting, the resemblance to Elizabethan ends, as there is no Perique to make your head swim. This sort of reminds me of Dunhill 965 or London Mixture, though less nutty and much lower in tar and nicotine. Wingfield has similarities to Dunhill, but it?s of much finer quality and more surprising to the nose and palate. This is definitely an English style Virginia, blander and less sweet than a McClelland matured cake. As for the latakia that other reviewers talk about here, I can?t taste or smell it. I think there are some stoved red Virginias that give the blend that conspicuously close latakia quality, but from what I can tell, this is a straight Virginia all the way around. Unlike the much more piquant, brinier Presbyterian Mixture, there are no Orientals in this blend. The smoke is cool on the palate, but heats up the bowl to furnace level temperatures. I?ll probably need to smoke this in a thicker bowl and one that has not become seasoned with latakia or Oriental. I?m not madly in love with this blend, but I like and respect it very much. My first introduction to Robert Lewis was the full 123 Mixture, and in my opinion, the best cigar blend in existence. As I write this, I am about 2/3 of the way down, and it?s starting to take on a tangy, fruity taste. If you leave the room and come back a minute or two later, you will appreciate the light, buttery aroma. Wingfield is a true gift for the English Virginia lover disillusioned by Dunhill?s ongoing drop in quality. I get the feeling that I?m going to love this stuff after a few more bowls, but for now at least I give it?

Three and a half of five stars

----------- Dec 7, 05

Not bad, but I think I lost interest. It's a quality Virginia blend, but it really heats up the pipe fast no matter how slow you try to smoke it. Unless you're a hardcore Virginia smoker, pass on this one & opt for something cooler.

Two and a half of five stars

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend includes Virginia as well as some Latakia per Knoxville's description; I concur. Admittedly, based upon that description, I have smoked this in a pipe previously used for latakia blends, and it is possible that the cake provided a latakia sense that others may not notice.

This was a delightful smoke. While it started off a bit astringent, it settled down after the first third of the bowl into an enjoyable flavor that developed nicely through the bowl. The Latakia is sufficient to be noticed without being overwhelming.

Burning characteristics were good, although touching on being a bit hot. Admittedly, I have only smoked this in a canadian that has moderately thin walls. Little moisture developed in smoking this blend.

Overall, I found this to be enjoyable, and would have rated it four stars except for the early astringency. If this turns out to be due to limited pipe diversity, I will revise my opinion. For those who like light latakia blends, this is a good example of those without oriental components.

November 2002.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

This is a straight, rich tasting virginia ribbon blend. Mostly red virginia leaf looking with some (say 10%) black strands (probably stoved virginia). String cut, easy to pack and steady burning. Dry and cool for a tangy virginia leaf. Good smoking.

I rate the strength of the blend at least a medium but the natural flavor itself is richer tasting than that. This is a classy red virginia tasting leaf. It has natural sweetness (almost fruit like) but is not at all aromatic as something like Esoterica's Dunbar or Dunhill's Three Year Matured or St. Bruno's (each of those are progressively more scented in my opinion, but they are also more complex blends than Wingfield). The darker leaf is only a background note here. This is a dry smoking leaf with a slight tang. I did not find it hot, but it is best to smoke it slowly to avoid an edge, as with all virginia blends.

Winglield is simple, aged, but not as dark tasting as Fox's Drisco (which has more dark leaf and little perique to boot) or as some of McClelland's red/stoved va. leaf blends. Actually, I think the rich virginia flavor is a small step up from Fox's here. Wingfield can be compared favorably to McCrannies' Red Ribbon (which is probably aged longer), Germain's Tilbury (which has a little burley too), and Connoisseur's Scottish Ribbon (which is slightly scented). If you like those varieties and prefer a natural blend with no detectable scent or spirits added, give Wingfield a try. The room aroma is slight.

I only had an ounce to sample so far from Joe of my local Tinder Box with Steve Monjure of Monjure Int'l, at our recent Pipe Night, and I have smoked it all in a small (#3) Dunhill Root bent that I have only smoked straight virginias in. That was enough for nearly 15 plus bowls, and I believe I was starting to get the true flavor after just a few bowlfuls of puffing. (Steve Monjure only supplies select stores with these somewhat limited (due to aging and shipping time) english editions (like Fox's), but Tim at paylesspipes has a good supply, until I get some more to try.) Recommended to straight virginia smokers.