A Classic Oriental Blend. This incredible mixture made from the finest tobaccos available has been a favorite of discerning smokers for over a century.

BrandRobert Lewis
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.1
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Initial rush of tin nose upon opening made me think this might be a dead ringer for G. Smith and Sons Old London Mixture that I've been unsuccessful in finding more of. Very rich, deep aroma. Mostly tan in the tin and a fine ribbon cut. It smoked very quickly due to the cut and, as with most blends, slow sipping helps.

Taste-wise, this was nowhere near OLM. It was very subtle and wispy, but with good flavor and a fair slice of complexity. This is purported to be just oriental but there is naturally a base of virginia and with a bit of latakia as well. I've found that if you think there's latakia in a blend, there probably is, Fox' Provost Mixture being a notable exception. Some smokers find perique in here as well, but I did not. There may be some dark cavendish, however, as there is a bit of sweetness that I don't associate with straight virginia.

While I was disappointed that this didn't live up to my original hope, this is a very nice blend with a mildly spicy Turkish overtone. It won't bite if overpuffed but it will become a touch harsh. Unfortunately, it's light flavor will cause some to overpuff, so just keep in mind that patience is required to bring out the flavors. This is a little lighter than I prefer and I probably won't buy this again, but it was worth the time I spent with it.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Less than 1 year

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (31)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

08/29/13: Though I have always thought of Orcilla as "Turkish" tobacco, perhaps we should include all the constituent tobaccos listed for Orcilla on the Kohlhase & Kopp website, namely Virginias, Latikia, Orientals and Black Cavendish.

For those who like Oriental tobacco, Orcilla is a rare bird, an Old School blend that offers just what it says it offers, full, rich Turkish tobacco that scratches that particular itch and satisfies well on that particular level. The tin note has some cocoa over the tobacco, but I don't get this in the smoke. Otherwise, the fragrant Orientals are forward, Latakia is faint, and the VAs nearly AWOL. As for the Cav, I wouldn't have known had I not read the K&K blurb, but now I think I smell it and taste it, too, just a little... Preparation is simply loading the shag rather loosely in the pipe. I suggest a big bowl and very careful - or no - tamping. Better, only judicious poking. Loosely loaded, it lights fairly easily and burns fast. The initial tobacco aromas and flavors start out mild, rich and fragrant rather than strong and peppery, in a distinctive way, sort of loam-y, with all the best, most exotic Turkish spices. Low key, but subtly complex. Flavors tighten up and concentrate some as the tobacco is smoked down, becoming more focused and sour. There is just a little sharpness and sweetness offsetting the sour taste, and now that I know there are VAs and Cavendish in the mix, I suppose that explains it. Some anise and cardamom appear down the bowl, in the taste and in the wonderful blue-purple smoke, and it's over too soon for the aficionado. The aftertaste is - once again - a good representation of the genre, smoky, loam-y, spicy/sour tobacco that is probably "an acquired taste". To my taste, Orcilla is anything but "dry" or "dusty" at any point. YMMV, likely based on your love or hate of the Turkish leaf or the shag cut. As for room note, my first though is always to spare others from Turkish tobacco, although I love the smell. I have been surprised by how well Orcilla ages, becoming even softer and still more fragrant.

3.4 stars all day, based on its being consummately - itself.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: young to 2 years

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

...as stated, this mixture is "old school" in nature and has been around over 100 years...My first introduction to this mixture was in the early 1960's and was primarily responsible for my developing taste of Oriental tobaccos.

While there has been changes in how this mixture is processed, it still has very strong ties to what I smoked from the 60's to the late 80's.

I find the overall aroma and taste of this mixture mild and yet tasty...and while not overly complex, flavor variations throughout the bowl are wonderful. Recently re-kindling my interest in finding some of the "old" tobaccos I smoked, it has been a pleasure to find a few of those I am fond of.

This wouldn't be an all-day smoke for many but for those of us who truly enjoy Oriental tobaccos, this fits the bill nicely.

I normally smoke this in a group 4-5 size pipe and keep it moist as it controls burn rate better. It is shag cut but not a fine or "eye lash" cut. If you favor Oriental mixtures...Orcilla may be a good choice.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Gestalt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gestalt (7)

Tin smells of fruit and good Virginia hay with subtle leathery notes. It's light and sweet at first when the virginias dominate, but the orientals quickly come into play and it gets quite spicy, almost peppery towards the end.

Nothing else like it on the market and deserves to be tried. It took me a while to get into this tobacco, and my tin has lasted me nearly a year, while countless other tin have been popped and smoked in the same time, but when I'm in the mood for it and it's subtleties, it's a damn fine blend and I'll revisiting it as long as it's available. And I have to agree with a previous reviewer and say that this is an excellent (fall) autumn tobacco. Try it!

Kapnismologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kapnismologist (30)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A mixed shag cut which is predominantly of a rich milk chocolate brown color with a smattering of dirty tan and black ribbons. Not very well sorted, stems and rough cut chucks can be found throughout. The tin nose is fragrant and sweet with a very slight woody smokiness in the background. Packed moist and laden with sticky humectants, once sufficiently dried the fine cut allows for easy packing and lighting although it can grow hot rather quickly if puffed too aggressively.

Light in body and rather subtle in overall effect, Orcilla Mixture offers pleasant though somewhat airy notes of lemonade, white wine, roasted pumpkin seed, and black pepper. The Virginias are mildly sweet and slightly tart with the Oriental component(s) adding a bit of sour spice. Apt to bite the impatient, the finish is lightly spicy and lingering.

A mild Oriental mixture in a solid Virginia base, the version of Orcilla Mixture on which this review is based is certainly not the best of class. At the same time, however, one could do worse. Even so, in this reviewer's opinion it is not worth cellaring given the superiority of several available alternatives. This review is based on the German produced version coming from a tin which dates to approximately 2006.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the very last classic English orientals (i.e. orientals excluding Latakia) in existance. This is my favourite light oriental/virginia mixtures and it has been around since 1904 or thereabouts.

Robert Lewis (Est. 1787) was one of the oldest UK blenders and was incorporated by James J. Fox in 1992. The four remaining Robert Lewis blends are the only tobaccos now handled by James J. Fox that have not been handed over to Kohlhase & Kopt blending - as yet.

Shag cut and predominently virginia with only a very light oriental background, it provides a easy fill, easy light (usually only one) and burns to a fine light ash. Its medium sweet and drives you to draw on it with intensity - avoid this as it has its own burn rate. Moisture content is ALWAYS perfect straight from the tin and I smoke this from morning to night with complete satisfaction.

You must give this tobacco time to grow on you, and when it does, it just gets better and better; if however, you're looking for a positive nicotine kick - its probably not the one for you.

The day I can no longer get this tobacco from JJ Fox in St James's Street, will probably be the day I stop smoking because there is nothing comparable left in the UK Market. The only tobacco to come close, but not surpass was Fox's 'Campinile', which since taken into Kohlhase, Kopt has substantially lost its way.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (96)

Orcilla? it sounds like an obese prissy female from a Dickens novel. I purchased this because I am particularly fond of oriental tobaccos. While this tobacco certainly contains them, I am put off by a more than subtle perique mouth-feel and taste, though it is not listed as a component. I cannot smoke blends with more than a percent or so of perique. Many would welcome it, however, particularly with the light Virginias this blend has. I suppose Orcilla could be compared with GLP?s Cairo, though the latter has more depth and lacks the sharpness of this.

The tobacco?s shag cut is easily packed. One must use a light finger to avoid overpacking, especially with its very soft and moist texture. I suggest drying to decrease the steam, though it stays lit admirably.

Bottom line: a little too lightly monotone and spicy for me. It lacks at least one variety of oriental leaf I crave but cannot name (there are many). The balance of my tin will likely be used for blending: it needs more of some things (dark virginias and syrian latakia come to mind) and less of others. Not for me, but if perique is your thing, give it a try.

A decent Oriental/Turkish spice flavor with a hay, slightly sweet Virginia base. Burns rather fast, but doesn't scorch your tongue, though you'll get better results by sipping the smoke because it tends to get just a little harsh near the bottom of the bowl. I'd almost swear there's a tiny bit of latakia in here, but I think the light smokey taste comes from the Turkish. I could be mistaken, and maybe there is some latakia despite the claim there isn't, though I'm doubting it's there. Not a bad blend, and though I give it a three star rating, it just barely reaches that level for me.

captain duff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captain duff (6)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Due to being a shag cut this burns very quickly, however it doesn't burn hot and I do not get any tongue bite. It is very mild in terms of nicotine, and therefore there can be a tendency to puff too hard and fast if you are not too careful and it goes quickly (it's good for a quick outside smoke when in work therefore!), however if you can puff slowly this is a very interesting blend.

At the start of the bowl there is the right amount of refreshing Turkish in there (and a very nice tin smell), making it for me at least a good morning blend. But then things get very interesting as you get to the middle and then to the end of the bowl as a lovely spicey flavour comes to the fore. I would class it still as a mild flavour, but by no means a 'thin' one, and as others have said this would make a very good all day blend for those who smoke a lot of bowls.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Strong

Not bad but nothing exciting. Cut remind me of Dunhill blends , Royal Yacht comes to mind for flavor. Wife did not care for this scent.

agree with reviewer "NEWMAN 10/23/2003 "

johnstaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnstaf (12)

This supremely elegant tobacco has a wonderfully delicate and understated quality. The sweet VA is beautifully tempered by the orientals, whilst the soft touch of cavendish has an almost wispy aromatic sweetness.

This is a very special blend, and I plan to stock up with a lifetime's worth.

The nicotine level is a little higher than the taste suggests.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I was looking for a tobacco that was different. This is certainly different.

Tin aroma is amazing figs/raisins. The cut is, as many have commented, more a shag cut than the usual ribbon cut of most tobaccos. Soft and nicely moist.

Therefore a light hand is required when filling, although I suspect you might get away with a good old stuff and see.

After the initial tin fragrance I thought, this is going to stink the house out. It didn't and (somewhat disappointingly, as my stepson has given up cigarettes) I have had no comment whatsoever.

The same is true of a pipe ; you'd think with that this tobacco would ghost your best, but it doesn't. It doesn't bite either.

Of course, being such a fine cut it likes a big pipe for maximum enjoyment and burns through very quickly. Demon puffers would be loading pipe after pipe with this one. So, as some reviewers have suggested, this would serve well as an all day smoke.

It's a easy, pleaseant enough smoke with some of the nuances already noted. Ultimately I suspect, it could end up becoming bland and boring as the contents of the tin diminish.

Can't say I'd be busting a gut to land another tin in a hurry when this has gone but an interesting blend nonetheless and worth trying if you want something a little different.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Wow is all I can say about this fabulous blend. Sir Pipestud has summed it up,and I concur with his observations. This is a tobacco that I will be smoking for the rest of my pipe smoking days.

Update: I am not as enthusiastic about this blend as I used to be.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very remindful of Dunhill's Aperitif regards the presentation and smoking qualities. A little more spice perhaps, and more subtle in the overall presentation.

As per the remaining Robert Lewis blends, this one is long on quality and smokes cool and dry. A must try for fans of predominantly Oriental leaf.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

It was brought to me for testing by my friend Dimitris or dm14 on the meeting of 20th February 2008. It is finely chopped.

Its color is orange and red. No black leaves. No artificial wrapping, only a little sweet Virginia aroma with a twist of Oriental. Virginia has probably matured nicely. Absolutely no taste or aroma of Latakia. It fills easily and evenly the bowl, leaving a white layer of ash in the end. If it had a little, only a little, smoked black Cavendish, it would reach perfection.

I will try it again, as well as the rest of the Robert Lewis series.

mfreeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mfreeman (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very nice fall tobacco. Lots of Oriental, never bitter, nice mature Virginia. This is not a big smoke, not overwhelming, but pleasant with enough dimension to keep it interesting. Seems more rounded and a little less monochromatic compared to EMP. I also tried this along side of Campanile. It somehow just seems a bit more mature, a little more smooth. Smokes down to fine ash, pleasant all the way. An excellent fall walking trip tobacco.

Update June 2009. I found a can of this that had been opened but well kept for at least a year laying about. It is far more spicy and strong than I remember it being! Seems the orientals are reALLY coming out and there an almost perique like spiciness that takes over near the last third of the bowl. A little different than I remember it, but still a very good smoke.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Side by Side Comparison of Orcilla Mixture, Campanile and Original Oriental mixtures

I usually do not open multiple tins of tobacco at the same time of the exact same genre. But with the advent of Embarcadero, Yenidje Supreme and HH Vintage Virginia, all containing Virginia and Oriental leaf without latakia, I wanted to see how three ?classic? blends compared. Each has at least five years aging in the tin unopened. I do not have a tin of aged Cairo, or I would add it to the present review.

I laid out three mounds of leaf from each tin, equivalent to what would fill a very large pipe bowl and then some. As always for me, this is a test for the eyes, the nose, the fingers, the ears and mouth.

Orcilla Mixture: Color-wise, Orcilla is the overall lightest of the three. Mostly light browns and tans, with a few suspicious specks of dark leaf. Moisture content is just right, but there were more stems here than in the two others. There is a fermented nose in the tin and something very faintly smoky when I cup my hands around the tin and inhale through my nose very deeply. I am suspicious of Latakia, but am not confident.

Campanile: Darkest of the three and the reverse of Orcilla. The specks are the lighter leaf, while the remaining are medium browns to black. There are a few stems. There is something definitely smoky in the tin aroma, as with Original Oriental. This was noticeably moister of the three.

Original Oriental: Bright, black and brown in near equal proportions. The most visually interesting of three, but it is also the hardest to anticipate what it will be like smoking. Only a tiny stem. Moisture content is fine, but I smell something smoky, just like in Campanile. These are not supposed to have latakia, hmmm.

Cut: All three are a medium long ribbon cut, with Orcilla being much finer, followed by Campanile and then Original Oriental. All three are nice blends to handle, but will require care when loading due to the long leaf.

I decided on three of my best Virginia pipes for the test run, then one more whiff of Campanile and Original Oriental made me think better of it. I think they have latakia. I will not put noticeable latakia or aromatized leaf in a pipe reserved for Virginia blends. I switched out two pipes for pipes used with very light English blends that had very little noticeable residual smell in the bowl. Orcilla loaded with ease, followed by Campanile. Original Oriental took more care. I used the Frank Method with each blend.

My notes on each blend as follows:

Orcilla.

First Bowl Impressions: Not a light-weight by any means, and deep, earthy, spicy flavors betray the lighter appearance of the unburned leaf. I do detect brighter leaf at times. There?s a definite tingle in mouth and nose, but no Latakia, which is a good thing in this case. The burn is exceptionally even, white and rapid. My experience says, ?Respect this or your tongue will get slapped.? That said, it was easy keeping this cool. There is flavor aplenty. ?Sipping? this carefully avoids the need for aggressive puffing. Since this develops somewhat down the bowl, I?ll give my impressions on the middle and last third of the bowl.

The second third of the bowl is when the flavor intensifies. It does not vary from one flavor to the other, except when a little ?something? arrives. This ?something? might be Perique. If you do not generally like blends with Orientals or Turkish leaf because they are harsh, sour or oppressively acrid, Orcilla will change your mind. The Turkish in Orcilla are as good as any I have smoked in any blend and better than most others.

Last half is about the same as the middle third, but a bit more intense. I also sense more Perique. Overall, a solid blend with no arias, but Orcilla is surprisingly fuller than I anticipated without being overwhelming in flavor or strength.

Ongoing Impressions with Orcilla: I keep reaching for this of the three being reviewed here. It gets better each time I smoke it. The balance is perfect, highlighting the Virginias by off-setting them with the mild Turkish. The blender has a palate for subtle, rich flavors that anyone could enjoy who likes flue-cured leaf or Oriental leaf. This is World-class blending indeed.

Campanile: First Bowl Impressions: Subtle, but definite Latakia at the match and throughout, with a surprise taste of non-descript topping. Campanile is a nice, refined mild-medium English, but not an Oriental blend or a ?spiced? Virginia. It really does not develop much down the bowl, but does burn beautifully, cleanly, coolly, and to a dry, slightly mottled white ash. If J.J. Fox were a tobacconist in my neighborhood, I would feel quite blessed with access to such quality (and to think of the blending houses the residents of Edinburgh, Dublin and London had access to, without forgetting Kendal or Jersey, is to sigh that a great era has passed). With the price per tin and solid competition readily available, I am not likely to purchase more. I can still recommend it because it is well crafted, just not a niche that needed filling in my rotation.

Ongoing Impressions: Truly a clean pipe, clean palate blend. The Virginia leaf is top-notch and just gets creamier the more I smoked it in the same pipe on repeated occasions. This is far more refined than my staple lighter English, EMP. If I could get this more reasonably priced, I would enjoy a tin now and then.

Original Oriental:

Initial Impressions: This is more in the genre of Orcilla, but darker still, with that acrid taste for which Turkish leaf is renowned. Thankfully, it is not sour, bitter or bitey. Compared to Orcilla, this starts off strong, like an amusement park ride launched by catapult. Orcilla starts more like the walk before the jog before the run. Despite the instant ?pow,? Original Oriental is smooth enough. The thought occurs to me that Original Oriental borders balkanic. There might be a smidge of Latakia here, but much in the way it appears ghostly in Pease?s Fillmore. If there is perique, it is quite enigmatic. I think Original Oriental is more like McClelland?s Yenidje Supreme, just fuller-flavored, but not as refined.

Ongoing Impressions: This has merit by itself, and I really do enjoy its complexity and richness. If I smoke it back to back with Orcilla and Campanile, it is ?odd man out.? I think that this is because Original Oriental demands my attention, and I do not always want to think too much about the ?act of smoking.?

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

This has become my Dunhill EMP. Its cut is almost shag and rather easy to pack in my opinion. It is a nice medium oriental blend. Its flavor is nutty, sweet, and slightly spicy, but never overbearing. It is somehow completely satisfying and incredibly modest. Its room note is a neutral, nutty aroma that I happen to like very much. It evolves little over the course of the bowl, but that is a quality I tend to like in this kind of tobacco. It is mild enough to be an all-day tobacco, but at the same time, its flavor is enough to be a great end to a good meal.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

This light bodied blend is pleasing and somewhat wistful in temper. Complex yet soft spoken in nature, I would recommend smoking it indoors or you may miss some of the subtle nuances afforded the smoker. The presence of Perique tempers the bite of a Virginia that burns with a slightly acrid sweetness. The Oriental Leaf is in the background providing some moderation to what otherwise could be an unremarkable blend. The cut is fine and long, so you will have no trouble keeping it lit. If you pack it lightly, it will draw smoothly. As a diversion, I would recommend this blend as worthwhile in the assembly of light Oriental mixtures. This is a blend that can only improve with age as volatile Virginias often do.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Yanik Daemon Skull

I had some difficulty mastering the packing technique with this shag cut mix of yellow to red tobaccos especially with my larger bowled pipes. However, my hand is used to packing VA flakes so this blend, a much finer cut, was quite a change for me. My tin also had small amounts of jet black ribbons and a greenish/gray oriental add. The room aroma received no compliments from non-smokers but is rather typical of this type of blend or even turkish cigarettes. I thought that it smoked cool and found the taste uniform from start to finish. However, I feel that the orientals overpoweed the VAs and their normal sweetness and resulted in a rather spicey taste. Although I can enjoy this as a change of pace, I would not choose this blend as a steady smoke. This blend is accurately advertised as a "classical oriental blend". If that's your pleasure, you'll most likely enjoy the high quality tobaccos in this blend.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Appearance: The cut is very fine and long, almost a shag cut. The color is mostly orange and red, with some lighter flashes. No dark leaf evident. Therefor, no Latakia visually present.

Aroma: No topping or casing here, just a sweet Virginia aroma with a little Oriental spiciness. The Va. seems to be well aged, but not fermented. No Latakia nose.

Packing: Packs easily in most pipes, although best in small and medium sizes. It tends to overpack in larger pipes, so some care is in order.

Lighting: Lights very easily, often on a single match. First thought is that it will burn hot owing to the fine cut.

Initial flavor: I would have to classify this a mild/medium tasting blend. There is some good sweet flavor from the Virginia, and some nutty/spicy taste from the Orientals, but always on the mild side. Good medium and high notes in the flavor spectrum, no low notes at all. Absolutely no Latakia detected in the taste. Burns freely, but cool and leaves a nice pale ash.

Mid-bowl: This is surprisingly cool when smoked at normal tempo, and even remains so outdoors in normal breezes. When puffed aggressively, it will get hot. There is some layering of the flavors, but it remains a mild tasting smoke. Does not require your undivided attention. A good choice for smoking while active or engaged with chores.

Finish: Burns easily right to the bottom with no real change in character. Leaves the cleanest pipe, usually no dottle at all. Does not build cake quickly.

Summary: An excellent high quality blend which will leave both Latakia lovers and matured Virginia lovers unsatisfied, but might serve as a change of pace for them. I would recommend it to those who like lighter Virginia and lighter Oriental mixtures