A blend using super-fine pure Havana leaf for a Cuban cigar flavour.

BrandRobert Lewis
Blended ByKohlhase & Kopp
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.1

Robert Lewis' 123 Mixture is one of my favorite cigar leaf blends. This blend has seems to have less of the cigar leaf than blends like Robusto, Stogie or Key Largo, but I find the flavor more rich, deeper and polished (if that can be said about tobacco) in flavor than those other blends. The cigar leaf IMHO is more of a supporting player in the 123 Mixture. The flavor bouquet is very rounded with the addition of cavendish adding a slight bit of underlying sweetness. In a tobacco world filled with lots of English choices, 123 Mixture's flavor profile is unique. Recommended.

The tasty richness of the cigar leaf is very ably supported by it's various components. There's a light sweetness from the black cavendish that is complemented by a little spiciness from the Orientals and perhaps the cigar leaf, too. The latakia is lightly added, but gives a nice smokiness flavor for further balance and complexity. The Virginia acts a well cured base for other ingredients with a grassy, woodsy flavor. It burns well, leaves no dottle, and is best served in a pipe with a wide bowl.

pipi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipi (3)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

A refined blend, one of the last remaining cigar leaf blends of European origin, and indeed a fine one - comparing this to the cheap-filler non-Cuban "cigar" blends from across the ocean, I do feel a pity for the fellow-smokers from the States - some of them have obviously forgotten how a true cigar leaf blend smells and tastes - discreet, medium-bodied and satisfactorily layered - not cheap, but worth it

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

There is a definite sweetness here as well as a cigar like spicy mustiness. Latakia fills in the gaps but doesn't dominate. The flavour is layered and interesting but never over-taxing. The smoke is smooth and cool; 'creamy' is an often overused adjective in describing some tobaccos but I think it is genuinely applicable here.

I could smoke this all day with ease and continuous pleasure.

Mr.Noah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Noah (1)

First I'd like to say on the whole I really love this blend, it's one of my favorites. As an occasional cigar smoker I can't really taste much of the cigar leaf, but what is there is maybe more a "hint" or "note" rather than to flavor the blend. If I had it my way there might be a bit more, but if you go into it knowing it's not a predominate flavor and take it for what it is you should enjoy it just fine.

It loads very well into the bowl and burns consistently and evenly. It has a great creamy quality to the smoke with a really nice, almost sweet taste on the finish. The latakia in this blend isn't overwhelming either. Overall I'd say this is a really smooth, even blend. I'd recommend it highly as it's one of my favorite smokes.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I rather enjoy this tobacco...as other reviews have noted R. Lewis tobaccos are being manufactured by another company and what I smoked back in the 60'-80's is somewhat different than what it is today...

However, overall this is a fine tobacco...somewhat complex and all the tobacco's work well together. Cigar leaf is present but not overly so...There is a sweetness that "works" throughout the bowl and is one of this tobacco's distinguishing characteristics...

I like this in a group 4 or larger bowl and it goes well with tea/coffee or single malt...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe Used: Group 4 and Larger

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Ah, so you want to try a cigar leaf blend? Well, seeing as you can't get the vaunted Pease or McClelland offerings here in the UK you're going to have to try something different.

My recommendation is to purchase a tin of the excellent Squadron Leader and a decent medium weight Cuban cigar. A Montecristo No 4 is ideal, you don't want anything too mild or the flavour will get lost. Take enough SL for a couple of bowls and put it in a jar, then take your cigar and use a cigar cutter to slice off a few discs of around 1mm thickness. How much is up to you...I usually go for around 1/6 or 1/5 the volume of pipe tobacco. Experiment and adjust to suit your taste and mood. Put the lid on the jar and give it a good shake to mix the components, then load up your pipe and enjoy.

I guarantee you, the result will be a darn sight better than the insipid 123 Mixture from Robert Lewis.

Sure, it ain't a cheap option and some folks might say it is a waste of a good Cuban cigar. Personally, I prefer to see it as getting the most out of my investment...one good cigar will last you for many, many bowls of tobacco!

Revolted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Revolted (11)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

If I enjoyed Tree Mixture, this 123 Mixture is simply gorgeous. The cigar leaf grants a freshness to the blend, making this one of a kind. It's an amazing tobacco, and would buy it more frequently if it was sold in Portugal.

Leytonite Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leytonite (1)

Very pleasant blend of Oriental and cigar leaf, latakia not prominent. I could happily smoke this any time of the day, everyday , would want a powerful latakia mix in reserve. Burns well , quite cool and slow , leaving a light grey ash , which taps out all in a piece

ccwman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ccwman (6)

A few months back I bought several cigar leaf blends of tobacco from GL Pease; Robert Lewis; Fox and C&D and working my way through each of them.

Let me start by saying I adore RL's Tree mixture and its a great fall and winter smoke for me. I bought a tin of 123 Mixture and thought I'd enjoy the cigar flavor in the tobacco. I can say I detect little if any cigar flavor. I like full bodied cigars and pipe tobaccos and this one fails to deliver on that front.

Upon cracking the tin, its slightly moist and dries quickly. Flavor remains constant and the ash is very fine with little dottle left in the bowl. I agree with previous reviewers that this seems a bit more refined, but timidly so.

Its not a fave but I might buy a tin again if I run out of Key Largo!

skippy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skippy (8)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

i enjoy cigar blended tobaccos this is more noticeable to both nose and palate than Fox Bankers. it seems to have a more complete finish and stays ful in the mouth longer. Arrived a little wet but dries nicely and does not change to the bottom of the bowl satisfying smoke

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)

i came across this blend by accident i wanted to buy an old dublin by petersons but the shop didnt have it and they offered me this one and i have to say this is one fine english blend with cigar flavour...it usually takes me 2 weeks to smoke a tin but i finished this one in a week..its that tasty..HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for english blend lovers.

Any lover of rich english blends should enjoy this flavourful blend.The cigar leaf is fairly up front mixing with grand orientals. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

This tobacco is, in my opinion, almost as good as its more venerable counterpart, Fox's The Bankers Mixture. Both purport to use Havana cigar leaf, high grade Virginias and a very peculiar type of unsweetened (in fact a rather bitter variety) of Black or Brown Cavendish, which other reviewers, I think, tend to mistake for Latakia leaf.

The difference, however, resides in the strength. Though both tobaccos are blended by the same house, a fact that is evident in the exceeding amount of moisture in the tin, RL 123 is far less strong and captivating than the Bankers. Whereas the latter is rich and dense (very much like a formal dinner at high table), the former is almost playful and light. By this I do not mean to say it is not as good or tasty. They both are excellent mixtures, and the spirit (if not the actual leaf) of a good Havana cigar is somewhere there: in the taste, in the aroma, or in the languidness of the creamy flavor as it rolls round the palate. But I do think that RL 123 is an early morning smoke?a panetella?, whereas The Bankers is a more serious affair?an Hoyo de Monterrey.

If you like a rich, dense smoke, one that is similar to Latakia Cavendish mixtures, or a plain rich Cavendish Virginia blend, you should try both. Personally, I smoke 123 after a light breakfast, with a good cup of coffee, and The Bankers after a hearty dinner, in the company of cognac or a straight Scotch.:

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

This is a cool smoking and tasty blend indeed. The latakia content is very evident while the cigar leaf adds a nice, flavorful touch. Not overly wet or dry out of the tin, it burns clean and without re-lights. No noticible bite. Overall a very impressive blend.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I have recently developed a taste for English blends with full bodied cigar leaf added. I have little to no experience with cigars, so I cannot relate to the claim of Cuban cigar flavour. This is an entertaining smoke where sweet Virginia leaf submits to the smooth & mellow Cuban leaf in a pleasing way for a smoking experience that builds as you burn it. Light & dark browns mix with near jet black in this ribbon cut mixture by Kohlhase & Kopp. A sweet bouquet drifts from the tin. Imported by Monjure, it speaks well of another German blend. The slightly acrid taste of the Virginia leads me to suspect that my tins have been sitting in a B&M for awhile - ignored by the masses. The only matter I would change would be to change the cut from fine to coarse. Also, I wonder what a good pressing would do for this already excellent blend. I recommend this blend to those seeking a rich tasting, slow burning smoking expreience.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Yanik Inverted Skull

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)

The only time that I visited Germany was in 1974. In those days it was still 'East Germany' and 'West Germany'. When I was there, so long ago, I had a simply splendid time and even after all of these years have such fond memories of the place. I will always remember a beautiful classically-native hat that I bought (complete with a magnificently long adorning feather). Unfortunately I left that red felt hat--that Tyrolean treasure--on a train somewhere. Alas, like the train, let me move on. If you have read my previous reviews of German-made rope, you might recall that I am hardly fond of the stuff--the strongest downfall being the harshness that floods to the throat in aftertaste (quite signature). In '123 Mixture', a Robert Lewis offering, the harshness is there but it is less of an irritant than most DE weed. Beyond that, this tobacco is rather mild and does indeed (if puffed with care) have the nuances of a cigar. Having smoked a lot of Cuban cigars in my day, I cannot endorse the claim that this has Cuban cigar flavour. Still, I like this stuff and that surprises me--as does the satisfying occasional creaminess of this tobacco. '123' also burns well and has a pleasant smell. I recommend this with reservations, however. I do not plan on purchasing more any time soon, but it is worth a try if you have not had it. It may just cause to you reminisce as it did for me. Indeed, some part of me wants to make a second trip to Germany with a pipe in hand. Perhaps I can find my hat.

Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

\This review is referred to the latest issue of this blend, now made by the german group Kolhase&Kopp. They make just one blend and then they sell it under different brand names: Astley's, Comoy, JJ Fox and now even Robert Lewis. If you smoke, for example, Astley's 99 and then JJ Fox Banker's you can't go wrong, it's exactly the same blend. Not that this is an horrible smoke, simply this mixtures share nothing with the original blends anymore.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (21)

I smoke perhaps ninety percent of my tobacco in Dunhill Gp 1 briars or similar sized meers. Thus I am always interested when I find a blend that yields full flavor and a cool smoke in such exotica. On a slightly dissenting note, I find the Bankers' Mix to burn far too hot and even with a bit of bite in my pipes. 123, on the other hand, seems particularly suited to them. I've just finished my second tin in a (sound familiar?) 50-year-old Wally Frank with a half-pinky sized bowl. Smooth, leathery, (dare I say latakia-like?) cigar flavor was the predominant note, based in a very fine medium English. The smoke volume was enough to resemble a "chewy" wine even in the small bowl, and I have never had a hint of bite from this fine effort from Lewis. I sometimes wish cigars tasted like this! Four stars.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

A wonderful and complex cigar leaf blend with a rich and full flavor and aroma.It's a toss up between this and Fox's "Bankers" as to which I prefer more.I believe it will cellar well and have bought a half dozen tins for this purpose.Lewis's other big seller is "Tree Mixture", which you'd like equally if this blend appeals to you... ===Highly Recommended=== prep ====Update Sept. 1st "04"=== I had one of those "magical bowls" while smoking this in a half century old Wally Frank bullmoose last evening while attending a Norah Jones concert .The more I smoke this blend the more I love it.It's not what one would call a "crowd pleaser",so I do'nt always smoke it in mixed company.What a great tobacco...

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's supertobacco!

Thanks to Joe and Steve Monjure at our local Tinder Box Pipe Night in Metairie, La., and Tim of paylesspipes, I secured two tins of this grand tobacco in September 2002. The last of those is nearly gone, and I will secure others for my cellar from Tim. HaHa! I smoked it in a new giant Ardor and in a medium large GBD from old (that is dedicated to cigar leaf). It's darn good.

This is a full bodied, natural smoke. A quality cigar leaf permeates the flavor. This has a grand enlish blend, including latakia, underneath. The cigar leaf still dominates the flavor, but it is not overdone (maybe more than 10%). It is cool, dry and slow burning but heavy, so it is best for an experienced smoker who enjoys a full tobacco smoke. No bite, but on the strong side but not too strong to me.

It compares favorably with Fox's (which bought out its competitor Robert Lewis years ago) Banker's blend, which has a rich cigar note too but is more of a medium smoke (also a great smoke); is not as potent as the Swiss Mogamo blend (I guess thank goodness and which has more of a latakia note); is somewhat smoother than Wilke's Churchill blend (but good); is heartier than Connoisseur's Special Reserve (all quality cigar leaf); and not a spicy as Peretti's 500 blend (which has perique too). All of these are cigar pipe blends. It's also heavier than Germain's Brown Flake (which is cigar-like) but not Gawith & Hoggarth's unscented Brown Flake (which is not cigar leaf but replicates the body of one).

I'd recommend this to a person who likes the fullness of Dunhill's 965 or Fox's Provost, and also occasionally smokes a cigar. The rich earthiness of the cigar leaf is what you can appreciate most from this blend. A step up in strength from Bankers. The english tobaccos (Latakia, etc.) give it the coolness and body to boot. A winner to those who want no-nonsense, real natural tobacco flavor.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

Undeniably blended with latakia, unsweentened or lightly sweetened Virgina cavendish, some brownish, flue-cured leaf and cigar leaf. It appears to be about 60/40 darker to lighter brown leaf, with no bright leaf.

The cut is thin, medium length ribbons. 123 packs easily, burns evenly, cleanly and completely.

123 has a heavier, complex profile of flavors than most medium to med-full English blends on the market, though most of the time it is hard to taste one, single varietal.

The only leaf that comes forward to my palate, and this only occassionally, is the Virginia component. The latter is also where the potential for too much heat rests.

You will want to puff this hard because it tastes so good. Do not give in to temptation lest a sore tongue appeals.

It is to the nose that 123 has for me the greatest appeal. It smells, unburned and burned, just fantastic. I cannot get enough of this quality blend, but because it is rich and different, it is only occassional for me.

The trick to this blend is reducing the moisture present upon opening the tin. It does not work near bone-dry, either. I have Caminetto Canadian briar dedicated to it.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A true taste experience, this being the third English/Cigar leaf blend I've tried, in as many months. Robusto, and Bankers, being the other two. I will not do a comparison, however, I will say that 123 satiates the palate, in ways the others did not. I could equate this uniqeness to the cigar leaf, Dominican Cuban Seed? I'm not sure, but perhaps the credit goes to blending expertise, either way a pleasurable smoke, that comes slightly moist, but by no means topped? This blend is easy to load, and after the charring light, you can puff at your own pace, to a gray ash. Burns well, with subtle nuances of Virginia's that come out to play,with the Latakia, while the remaining leaf adds a base, but not monochromatic. While this could be an all day smoke, I would guess that a frequent visit may be more inline, a preferred pipe is reccommend.

subagent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
subagent (4)

Here is a blend that wants its own pipe.  Or, at least, a pipe accustomed to cigar leaf blends.  In Virginia pipes, it is a bit harsh and a little hot.  Much of the "creamy" character is lost.  In pipes reserved for English blends, it's too subdued.   As I had set aside a few pipes for another favorite, GLP Robusto, I tried out 123 in them.  There, it found its stride.  The cigar leaf is highlighted, the Virginia adds sweetness, and whatever that other leaf is (some sort of fire cured VA?) adds a wonderful fullness.   It may also have been riding the coattails of Robusto's flavor.  So, to be fair to 123 (not to mention Robusto), I've set aside another pipe for it.  While not as exquisitely balanced as Robusto, it is nevertheless a full and forgiving blend.  It suffers my occasional rapid puffing abuse with no bitterness or bite.

If for no other reason, get a tin to run through those pipes that have yet choose their tobacco-- this may just be it!

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

123 Mixture is a nice, flavorful blend. The addition of the Havana leaf makes this one an interesting diversion from the ordinary Medium English.

If you're looking for something a little different from your usual smoke, give this a try. A bit on the pricey side but a solid 3 star blend.

I would like to thank "Pipeline" for mentioning this blend in his review of Dominican Glory Maduro.This is truly an excellent English blend with an enormous amt. of character.This is very hard to come by,but is worth the search.I opened the tin and immediately thought "Dunhill Durbar". The tin aroma is very similar to Durbar,yet somehow a little different.It has a distinct cigar note to it.The blend is a long, stringy,and moist.It packs well, and upon first light,one immediately senses the most rewarding cigar flavor.The blend is definitely English and has a fair amt. of Latakia, yet these 2 potent tobaccos meld together in a most harmonious way providing a full bodied rich smoke.It is superior to most of the cigar blends I have smoked including the wonderful "Churchill" by Wilke.It is a very expensive blend but well worth every penny.If you like cigars or English blends with a twist this might be for you.After dinner it makes a wonderful smoke.I purchased it at Uhles in Milwaukee and have been very satisfied. I hope all cigar loving pipesmokers give this one a whirl! ====================== Up date 9/14/06- This really turned Lousy in respects. A 13$ rip off. Kohlhase Kopp stuck again. Take a pass!Hot garbage in a tin with bad cigar leaf.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

On a recent trip to Uhle?s, Milwaukee, my piper friend picked up a tin curious from reading all the accolades at this website. This is a blend truly deserving of the high praise it receives. It?s a full English with cigar leaf. I?ve had a couple of other cigar blends but was not impressed. Wilke?s Churchill, though excellent in flavor, takes its physical toll on me as it burns and closes my throat. Iwan Ries?s crushed plug with cigar almost killed me with fits of choking and gagging. McClelland?s Domenican Glory maduro cigar offering is impossible to keep lit, as it?s dominated by sweet Virginias. On the other hand, 123 makes up for all the bad experimentation in attempting to marry pipe with cigar tobacco. This is a carefully balanced English with just the right amount of cigar leaf adding condimental perfection. It?s a smoky, spicy, peaty blend, with all the elements coming fairly into play and none overpowering the other. It?s the only pipe/cigar mixture that works harmoniously, and I will continue to enjoy this fine blend. I?m curious to try other Robert Lewis offerings over time.

Four of five stars ------------------ update november 2005

like dunhill, iwan ries three star & others, something has happened here. this is now an outsourced tin of turd. tin aroma is grassy & mossy like 965 or standard mild mixture, but without that dunhillian smokiness & none of the elegance. the cigar leaf has been castrated from the blend; there is none in here. this is no longer an english blend, but rather, an english hybrid made by dann or kolhasse in germany. the tin has changed & so has the contents within. aromatically it's wingfield; in taste it's flat, insipid & boring. oh, i forgot, metrosexualism has all but banned smoking in england, and america is not far behind. requiescat in pace, robert lewis.

one of five stars

CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is for those times when I want a full, strong smoke and I'll be smoking outside. I wouldn't know Cuban leaf from Carolina but I do know that 123 has substance without being overbearing. It's easy on the palate, has a good dose of nicotine, tastes wonderful, and burns even without need for relight if I've done a good job with packing. I let this tin sit for a couple months after opening and the moisture level is perfect. It's a little too moist when first breaking the seal.

A quality smoke I have no hesitation recommending.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)

I think Robert Lewis tobaccos are simply top shelf. I hold 123 and the Tree Mixture in very high regard. They remind me of long since forgotten blends that didn't try to be all things to all people. The cigar leaf in this blend simply adds support and body to the blend. It does not provide an overwhelming cigar flavor nor smell. It's a full, textured smoking experience that English lovers will most likely enjoy.